Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here to find positives in this Joy-Austin wedding clip (which I haven't seen) but I'm glad she could tell Austin to stop. I so hope that she will ignore her &@$€%#*** mother's advice and will continue to say it whenever she wants. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here to find positives in this Joy-Austin wedding clip (which I haven't seen) but I'm glad she could tell Austin to stop. I so hope that she will ignore her &@$€%#*** mother's advice and will continue to say it whenever she wants. 

Well, now I really want to see that clip!  She really said that with 1,000 people watching?

17 hours ago, Marigold said:

Ok, I googled up the Joy wedding promo.

I must agree with you guys.  The clip of Joy crying is disturbing.  She looks sad and upset.  Not "happy bride tears" at all.  Austin tries to wipe them away and she says "stop" rather sharply. 

I usually like to see things in context but in what context would this be any better?   

16 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Well, now I really want to see that clip!  She really said that with 1,000 people watching?

I hope so! I haven't seen it, just saw the comment from Marigold.

9 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Yes she did, and her face was a hot mess, poor thing. I can't believe TLC is using that in their promos. 

Can someone give a vague description of the OP's message?  I don't want to bug the OP, and I really don't think those people hang out here. Who would be masochistic enough to troll these threads?   

If it's what I suspect, it's nothing that hasn't been hinted here in the past. Being a tomboy doesn't indicate sexuality.  Plus, Joy wouldn't know any differently anyway. 

I'm going with this:. Joy was overwhelmed with having sole attention for the first time since her birth, she finally grasped the enormity of getting married, she was quite possibly happy about the event, etc.   Her honeymoon picks are very similar to her sisters' - seemingly very happy with married sexual relations.  Which makes me slightly uncomfortable, but reassured she's ok. 

Off to google the TLC promo. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Can someone give a vague description of the OP's message?  I don't want to bug the OP, and I really don't think those people hang out here. Who would be masochistic enough to troll these threads?   

If it's what I suspect, it's nothing that hasn't been hinted here in the past. Being a tomboy doesn't indicate sexuality.  Plus, Joy wouldn't know any differently anyway. 

I'm going with this:. Joy was overwhelmed with having sole attention for the first time since her birth, she finally grasped the enormity of getting married, she was quite possibly happy about the event, etc.   Her honeymoon picks are very similar to her sisters' - seemingly very happy with married sexual relations.  Which makes me slightly uncomfortable, but reassured she's ok. 

Off to google the TLC promo. 

Well, if you find a link, let us know.  No one else has found one.

• Love 2

Thanks for the link, High Hopes, Lunera and Mollie.  I don't think it was as heartbreaking as I'd feared.  I've seen others get emotional at their own weddings, or get the giggles.  Getting married is a big deal.  That said, Joy is really young and unworldly and I hope they are able to be happy together.  

• Love 7

Why are people saying that her wedding night must have been a nightmare?  These girls do not need to do anything in the way of sex when first married, until they're ready.

I hate JB and Michelle as much as the next person, but really, Joy can put Austin off for as long as she wants to.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They're at Pike's Peak. 

Video so you don't have to hit up the Duggar blog.

Count me as someone else who found the crying not nearly as bad as made out to be.  Weddings can be emotional, and I don't know that Joy has spent as much time "away" as her sisters -- on top of everything else, the overwhelming feeling of alone, despite those people being Duggars has to be massive and just so looming.

In this video, Austin really looks at her like he cares, at least.  It's sort of heartwarming to see compared to the other girls.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Now that they've been married for all of a week and now understood the "mystery of life", they will no doubt be dishing out marital advice to the rest of us heathens?

Yep. She's likely pregnant too, and has lots of parenting advice to pass along.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Honey said:

Why are people saying that her wedding night must have been a nightmare?  These girls do not need to do anything in the way of sex when first married, until they're ready.

I hate JB and Michelle as much as the next person, but really, Joy can put Austin off for as long as she wants to.

You're assuming Austin would respect Joy's choices regarding the type of sexual intimacy she wants to have. 

Now I'm not saying he WOULD NOT, I don't get creepy/violent/controlling vibes from him at all, but according to the Duggars et al belief system the wife exists to sexually satisfy her husband- period. What she wants isn't nearly as important. And women still experience rape by a spouse or sexual coercion by a spouse everyday in "regular life". I think that's what people are afraid of. 

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Honey said:

Sadly that doesn't work that way in the Gothard cult.  The wife has to be joyfully available for sex at all times, even when she is "big pregnant".

Edited by ariel
  • Love 8

Austin does not give me a creepy vibe. I personally think they are a good match because they come from the same mindset. Also, they have known each other so Joy wasn't thrown into a marriage with a complete stranger like Tabby was.

John David said of all the brother-in-laws Austin is the one that they have the most common with. Give it time I think Joy will never go without and he is one with her brothers. Who knows what the all plan on accomplishing together, ie helping Austin build a house. We don't see Bin doing much to move on up from the mold house. Derick is a complete slacker and Jeremy well he likes to be in pictures does he have any skills?).

• Love 6

On the Dugger family blog, the photo of Joy with 2 of her sisters, backs turned but she's looking over her shoulder, is lovely.  She looks very happy there, though it may be before the wedding.  

I agree with RedHeadedZombie about then probable cause for Joy saying "stop"....Plus, she probably didn't want him further smearing the 60 pounds of eyeliner she's wearing!

Austin reminds me of the actor, Michael Cera.  A bit quiet & unassuming, he actually sounds like a good match for Joy.  

• Love 9

Considering Joy's only two choices in life are drudgery at the TTH or marriage, it's pretty easy to see why she jumped ship at 19. I personally don't feel she was emotionally ready, but what's done is done. I don't necessarily get bad vibes from Austin, but I don't get good ones either. Hopefully he treats her well and they'll be happy.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, awaken said:

It must be so strange for them to suddenly be out in the world all alone as adults, without chaperones. 

I wonder how long it takes them to realize they can do what they want to now. After years of never being allowed to be alone, I'd imagine this isn't instantaneous.

• Love 11

For those like me who haven't seen People, Joy's dress. Small train, nice shelf bra to show off the girls (I'm sure Jinger's was similarly endowed, because that girl is *maybe* a B cup who looked quite busty in her dress. 

646945.thumb.jpg.9256fa8b5c85370e278013de3eae4957.jpg

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

For those like me who haven't seen People, Joy's dress. Small train, nice shelf bra to show off the girls (I'm sure Jinger's was similarly endowed, because that girl is *maybe* a B cup who looked quite busty in her dress. 

646945.thumb.jpg.9256fa8b5c85370e278013de3eae4957.jpg

it looked prettier on her than hanging here.   

• Love 11
(edited)

I don't like strapless gowns, but something about the top of that dress isn't working. I really like the shape and the lace, but the part beyond the boobs isn't to my taste. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pinkelephant3 said:

I really don't think that video is as bad as people are saying she def wasn't ugly cried ... I've ugly cried a lot and that wasn't it 

There are two videos. I just saw the one where she says, "Okay," but there is definitely one they ran yesterday when I was watching SYTTD in which she clealy said, "Stop." I wonder if TLC got some flak from that and will cut it and go with the "Okay" version. There's still time; it just depends on where in the ceremony these crying jags (or prolonged crying jag) happened. Okay, crying jag is a bit strong, I'll go with copious tears. :D

1 hour ago, pinkelephant3 said:

I really don't think that video is as bad as people are saying she def wasn't ugly cried ... I've ugly cried a lot and that wasn't it 

I think it's been established that "ugly crying" is on a continuum; people definitely have different interpretations of what it looks like. Not being a cryer, I think my standards are probably a lot lower than others. :)

• Love 2

I read People last night at the store.  The wedding seemed to take up a lot of room, but then mostly the ads on the wedding pages took up room.  They had two full pages with photos. The groomsmen had matching argyle socks! The guests threw paper airplanes in lieu of rice. (I hope they picked them up. At least paper airplanes won't end up in someone's ear like rice occasionally did. )

• Love 1

The airplane thing is new, to me at least. When rice first fell out of favor, guests were given little bags of bird seed, but all my recent weddings have had us blowing bubbles or skipping that part completely.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:
11 hours ago, awaken said:

It must be so strange for them to suddenly be out in the world all alone as adults, without chaperones. 

I wonder how long it takes them to realize they can do what they want to now. After years of never being allowed to be alone, I'd imagine this isn't instantaneous.

While we'd like to think that it would be a joyous experience ("Yippee! Free at last!!!!"), it's probably terrifying.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

While we'd like to think that it would be a joyous experience ("Yippee! Free at last!!!!"), it's probably terrifying.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Austin tried to forbid Joy to do something, like surf the Net uncontrolled. She turns to him with narrowed eyes and says:

"If I don't obey, ya gonna TRY to send me back to my dad, little man?  Cause I can burn down this entire family, and you with it with ONE phone call to TLC!"  *ROFL*

We all know that one of the biggest white whales in reality TV is a Dugger kid gone rogue and willing to spill their guts!  It would be SO great if it was somebody like meek & quiet little Joy!

• Love 1

A tell-all book would only confirm everything we already know. Blanket-trained, hit with rods, Michelle's breakdown, buddy system/sister moms, Josh Scandal #1, Alert/Journey, oppression of women/children, preoccupation w/sex, religious zealots, poorly educated, arranged marriages, Josh Scandal #2, court case ...

• Love 3

I'm another who doesn't think the crying in the video wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be. if anything, her "stop" was delivered with a little bit of a smile, as in, she was embarrassed that she had gotten so emotional, and didn't want him bringing more attention to it. If she was always the tomboy type, girly reactions might be a little bit alien to her, and it's a good sign, IMO, that she is feeling them. And Austin really doesn't seem that bad. This might be a bit of an arranged marriage, but given that she has known Austin most of her life, even if they have not been able to spend time alone, she probably knows him better than any of the other girls knew their husbands before marriage. They both seem to be cut from the same cloth, and arranged matches, when they put people together who really do share a common background, can be very successful.

There's a lot of turmoil in Joy's life right now, and it's hardly surprising that she would get emotional, even if the emotion actually took HER off guard. It didn't look like ugly crying to me. I've looked at myself in the mirror after crying HAPPY tears, and I look like a complete wreck! Few people can pull off pretty and endearing tears.

• Love 14