Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I ask, and maybe not for the first time on this thread; doesn't anybody pre-make rotisserie chicken in Arkansas? We've even seen the Dillweeds at Costco!!  There's no excuse not to use a fresh chicken if you can pick a pre-cooked one up for $5-7.  

• Love 22

I can't get over that it's supposed to serve 6-8 people. I would think there's enough food for at least twelve people if not the whole Duggar family. 

It might be okay at like a holiday  dinner or a potluck (or both). Anytime where there's a lot of food available and people are encouraged to take a little bit. Otherwise it's a heart attack on a plate. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

I make Paula Deen’s corn chowder which calls for two sticks of butter. For the first stick, you melt it in the saucepan and sauté the one carrot, the one onion, and the one celery stalk in it. The second stick of butter is added at the end for, and I quote, “added richness.” It always cracks me up. The recipe also calls for a pint of half and half.

Needless to say, I alter the recipe. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

I normally just lurk here but I have to say my mouth dropped when I read two sticks of butter. That's utterly disgusting. 

Surely she meant 2 tablespoons of butter rather than 2 sticks?  Right?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Mrs. P. said:

I doubt it. She probably has been influenced by watching The Pioneer Woman or Paula Deen on covert cooking channel shows. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, one green pepper and one onion split six ways.  They each get a tablespoon of veg along with their can and a half of crap,  5+ ounces of pasta, and third of a cup of pure fat.

It's not enough veggies for my liking either (as you can probably guess, I'd put a lot more than that in any dish I eat ;)) But she does say it's a family recipe from years ago, and the Duggars have never shown a willingness to spend the money needed on decent veggie portion sizes to feed their brood, so I can't say I'm at all surprised.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

If you're going to be indulgent, why not just make Alfredo sauce? At least it would be fresh ingredients, as opposed to Jill's Cream of Triple Bypass. I use the low-sodium version of various soups when I make comfort casseroles, but those are once in a while occasions at my house. How the hell does Jill eat like this every night? 

That's beautiful! I love it!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

“BACK several years ago”?

I was going to ask if this is a regionalism or just another example of their poor English skills. Jim Bob says this a lot also.

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Somebody mark down the date.  Jill posted a picture that did not look like a plate of vomit. 

The recipe is still kinda crappy, full of additives, preservatives, sodium, sugar and fat.   But the photo is definitely a step up.  

Yes, her photography and plating skills have definitely improved! This looks closer to something I would actually consider eating (with major modifications, obviously, like subbing in tofu, a reasonable amount of fat, maybe broth instead of all the crazy canned soups). Nothing else she has ever posted has even come close.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Is there any way to verify that it's actually a photograph she took?  There's no background context that I could see.

It’s different than some where she practically has her face in the dish! 

• Love 1

Hey now, even Nestle Tollhouse uses two sticks of butter in their chocolate chip cookie recipe. ... we'll just overlook the fact that recipe makes something like 30 cookies. But see, real recipes use a whole chip of butter!

I know it's a running joke that Paula Deen cooks with butter, added butter, and more but butter, but does she really use that much? That's absurd.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, McManda said:

Hey now, even Nestle Tollhouse uses two sticks of butter in their chocolate chip cookie recipe. ... we'll just overlook the fact that recipe makes something like 30 cookies. But see, real recipes use a whole chip of butter!

I know it's a running joke that Paula Deen cooks with butter, added butter, and more but butter, but does she really use that much? That's absurd.

My mother is so health conscious now I think she burned the good old-fashioned recipe for oatmeal cookies of my youth, lol.  I remember complaining to her that it was impossible to find ones made nowadays that didn't sound like you were making oat bran muffins, and she sympathetically said "I know, but it's healthier."  I even dropped a hint about the ones she sent in a care package to college once, which were so buttery they shone; and she would not budge.  

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, queenanne said:

My mother is so health conscious now I think she burned the good old-fashioned recipe for oatmeal cookies of my youth, lol.  I remember complaining to her that it was impossible to find ones made nowadays that didn't sound like you were making oat bran muffins, and she sympathetically said "I know, but it's healthier."  I even dropped a hint about the ones she sent in a care package to college once, which were so buttery they shone; and she would not budge.  

Oh, that's a shame. I'm against the healthification of fun foods. Cookies aren't supposed to be healthy!

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Run to your supermarket and grab a canister of Quaker Oatmeal.  The best oatmeal cookie recipe is on the lid!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, louannems said:

Run to your supermarket and grab a canister of Quaker Oatmeal.  The best oatmeal cookie recipe is on the lid!

And then find the recipe for Oatmeal Scotchies. I will love you forever. ❤️

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

And then find the recipe for Oatmeal Scotchies. I will love you forever. ❤️

I cannot leave another butterscotch-lover hanging: Oatmeal Scotchie

Topic: I have to disagree that this is a better picture than usual from Jill. It still looks like vomit on a plate. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

4 cups chicken (diced, cooked), or 3 cans of chicken

Well, it seems she learned from the last canned chicken recipe to put actual chicken as an ingredient and canned chicken as a substitute, plus it has a fresh green pepper that you just know was not in the original recipe.

This slop reads like a charity food box recipe. I've got some cream of whatever soup, Rotel, canned chicken, tomato soup, and noodles. Let's dump all the canned stuff together, add some more salt and a little pepper, then mix it with spaghetti. Looks like a bloody mess, but we've got more kids than we can count and they'll eat it or starve. 

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

She probably doesn't know the difference.  Or, she just said screw it.  What's a little sodium amongst family-we all need salt in our diet (/end sarcasm).  And she wonders why her husband gets "gaggy".  

I don't believe for one second that she took that photo.  She just needs to stop.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

New blog post:

Thalia’s Chicken Spaghetti Sauce

Oct 8, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

A friend of mine, Thalia, gave my family (the Duggars) this recipe back several years ago. It’s quite tasty and great when you’re not looking to count the calories. lol And it’s another recipe that’s easy to throw together when feeding a crowd. This recipe feeds about 6-8 people.

2 lbs. angel hair noodles (cooked)

Sauce:

1 green bell pepper

1 onion

2 T. garlic

2 sticks butter*

1 can cream of mushroom

2 cans cream. of chicken

1 can tomato soup

1 can diced tomatoes

2 cans mild rotel

2 tsp. chicken boullion

salt & pepper to taste

In large skillet or pot, sauté peppers, onion and garlic with butter. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 min. stirring occasionally. Serve with about 2 lbs. cooked angel hair noodles!

*or olive oil

FDB9AC33-A2E4-4AE9-87FD-7A8EEDA5A616.png

Okay, for one, it almost sure is 2T, not 2 sticks. It wouldn't say that you could use olive oil instead, if the recipe meant sticks. Still, I don't doubt that Jill uses 2 sticks because -- why not?

Secondly, the food pictured wasn't made from that recipe. It looks like Chinese food -- like there's corn starch in the sauce. The recipe also calls for cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup -- the sauce would have a milky appearance (even with all that butter).

I agree with everyone who has said "6 - 8" people? There are 3 cans of soup, 4 cups of chicken and a ton of pasta!

Finally, I thought the reference to the food pantry was interesting. I know that Gothard is obsessed with his followers stocking up for the end-times, and I know that the Duggars have always purchased canned food. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a lot of these "recipes" are based on things that you can pick up at the food pantry. The Duggars were living on "love offerings" for years, and I'm sure that there are plenty of Gothardites who shop at the local food pantry pretty regularly (as long as it's a "Christian" food pantry).

• Love 19
7 hours ago, emma675 said:

Can you imagine how much fat and grease is left on the plate after someone is finished eating (or, more than likely, has thrown it in the garbage)?

Probably not as much as is left in the toilet ???  Now I see why the Duggars went through so many rolls of Angel Soft.

OAN, who the hell adds tomato soup to a recipe? Is that a thing? I hate tomato soup, so I can’t understand why if you were using Rotel, then why not use tomato sauce. Or just stewed tomatoes.  Oh right, Jill.   

• Love 5

Jill's picture looks just like the sweet and sour sauce out of a jar my grandmother would put over some chicken and tell us we should think ourselves lucky she was making us Chinese food. She served hers with rice, not noodles, but otherwise it looks more like that, than anything I would expect from reading Jill's recipe.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

New blog post:

Thalia’s Chicken Spaghetti Sauce

Oct 8, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

A friend of mine, Thalia, gave my family (the Duggars) this recipe back several years ago. It’s quite tasty and great when you’re not looking to count the calories. lol And it’s another recipe that’s easy to throw together when feeding a crowd. This recipe feeds about 6-8 people.

2 lbs. angel hair noodles (cooked)

Sauce:

1 green bell pepper

1 onion

2 T. garlic

2 sticks butter*

1 can cream of mushroom

2 cans cream. of chicken

1 can tomato soup

1 can diced tomatoes

2 cans mild rotel

2 tsp. chicken boullion

salt & pepper to taste

In large skillet or pot, sauté peppers, onion and garlic with butter. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 min. stirring occasionally. Serve with about 2 lbs. cooked angel hair noodles!

*or olive oil

FDB9AC33-A2E4-4AE9-87FD-7A8EEDA5A616.png

I wouldn’t cook this, but it could be salvageable if you de-Duggarized it. Add red and yellow bell peppers, some sliced zucchini, cut the butter out and sautee in 2 tbsp. EVOO, stewed or diced tomatoes, no bullion, 1 can hot Rotel, fresh or rotisserie chicken breasts and thighs for flavor, garlic pepper, oregano, and a little salt on the raw chicken, Italian seasoning in the sauce, and it might be edible. If she were smart she’d serve it over an interesting noodle like campanelle or cavatappi.  Or make a casserole with thicker spaghetti or ziti.  

I wouldn’t necessarily cook it, but it could be tweaked to be edible if your funds are tight. I’d rather feed this to a kid than CFA since you can sneak in veggies if you’re clever.  

• Love 5

So she got take out from the local Chinese place, dumped it over a plate of spaghetti, took a photo, and posted it as a representation of a family recipe that uses completely different ingredients?

Way to display those Christian ethics, Jill. 

Edited by graefin
  • Love 11
32 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

FWIW, that doesn’t look like Angel Hair pasta, either. More like regular spaghetti.

Right? Angel hair pasta is much thinner. 

I had to learn how to cook. My MIL is an amazing cook and my husband learned from her, as I have. I would never serve anything like that crap she posted. Yuck. If you're going to make spaghetti, then make spaghetti. 

• Love 5

I dreamt about Jill's speghetti of many cans dinner.  To those who commented on the shiny, corn starch texture of the dish, don't forget cream of glop soups and condensed tomato soup contain lots of corn starch.  So there you go!

• Love 9

The part that really stops me with this “recipe” and others is the canned chicken.  Canned chicken is not a big thing in Australia, and I have only seen it in small (tiny) cans.  I remember gagging in the supermarket when I first saw it and realised that it was people food and not cat food.  And I don’t know of anyone who has actually eaten it.  Barbecue chickens are available at nearly every supermarket and take away shop for a reasonable price, so it is very easy to buy one, break it up into pieces or shred the meat and have the base of a quick meal.

And so I can work out how much butter a stick is,  how much does a stick weigh?  Butter is not sold this way here, but I can convert ounces to grams so I can work out how truly awful it is.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, LavendarRose said:

The part that really stops me with this “recipe” and others is the canned chicken.  Canned chicken is not a big thing in Australia, and I have only seen it in small (tiny) cans.  I remember gagging in the supermarket when I first saw it and realised that it was people food and not cat food.  And I don’t know of anyone who has actually eaten it.  Barbecue chickens are available at nearly every supermarket and take away shop for a reasonable price, so it is very easy to buy one, break it up into pieces or shred the meat and have the base of a quick meal.

And so I can work out how much butter a stick is,  how much does a stick weigh?  Butter is not sold this way here, but I can convert ounces to grams so I can work out how truly awful it is.

The only time I've known people to buy canned chicken is for stuff like camping trips where refrigeration isn't available or for food pantry donation since it can sit on the shelf for a long time.  It's a good source of protein, like tunafish, and can be used to substitute for it in recipes, but it isn't popular here, either.  Jill is the first person I've ever seen use it fairly regularly.  And, yes, here in the US, it is quite possible to buy a whole or part of a cooked chicken and use that in recipes and that's what most of us would do if we needed some cooked chicken in a hurry.  Thinking about it, there are 3 different places where I could buy a whole cooked chicken, or chicken pieces; all within a 10 minute walk from my house.

• Love 11

It’s 113 grams seemingly-i had to google that as well as the rotel.

this is beyond disgusting. How can anyone bear to eat and taste so much fat?? And tinned chicken!! I had no idea such a thing even exists???

• Love 2