Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Hang onto your stomach. Whole canned chicken. ??

20090430-cannedchicken-shloop.jpg

Can somebody please just tell me why anyone would ever, ever, ever buy such nastiness as that???  That’s close to turning me completely against ALL chicken.? It’ll take me a good while to get over seeing that, seriously. ?

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Does anyone else rely on kraft Mac and cheese for their comfort food? I consider it the absolute lowest of the low as far as processed food goes, but damn, if there aren't days when it get me through. ? I get the "fancy" deluxe kind, which seems a little more like real food. It's totally salty and doesn't taste that much like cheese, but I could eat the whole box if I didn't stop myself lol!

Sometimes I do.  I had stopped eating it for a while because it didn't taste the same as it did when I was younger.  Now that they've changed it to remove some of the "bad" stuff, it tastes much better and more nostalgic.

Topic:  If I had to eat Jill's cooking, I'd be gaggy like Derick, too.  I'm beginning to wonder if she's trying to get rid of him by slowly food poisoning him.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, LavendarRose said:

The part that really stops me with this “recipe” and others is the canned chicken.  Canned chicken is not a big thing in Australia, and I have only seen it in small (tiny) cans.  I remember gagging in the supermarket when I first saw it and realised that it was people food and not cat food.  And I don’t know of anyone who has actually eaten it.  Barbecue chickens are available at nearly every supermarket and take away shop for a reasonable price, so it is very easy to buy one, break it up into pieces or shred the meat and have the base of a quick meal.

And so I can work out how much butter a stick is,  how much does a stick weigh?  Butter is not sold this way here, but I can convert ounces to grams so I can work out how truly awful it is.

4 ounces

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Does anyone else rely on kraft Mac and cheese for their comfort food? I consider it the absolute lowest of the low as far as processed food goes, but damn, if there aren't days when it get me through. ? I get the "fancy" deluxe kind, which seems a little more like real food. It's totally salty and doesn't taste that much like cheese, but I could eat the whole box if I didn't stop myself lol!

Oh my God. I love that so much! And I'll eat that til it's all gone.  Yummy! 

And, as a food deprived kid who was always starving, I wouldn't touch that whole canned chicken nor whatever slop Jilly Muffin is pushing. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

After reading over that recipe, I have a question.  What does 2 tablespoons of garlic look like?  She says to saute it with the onion, shouldn't she specify how many cloves of garlic?  Does she mean 2 tablespoons of that awful minced garlic from the grocery store?  Seriously, garlic is super cheap like a bulb for a quarter cheap.  That is the only way I buy garlic because the cost to taste ratio cannot be beat. 

The roasted garlic in the jar isn’t bad, but I buy the 3 lb bag from Sam’s and mince it myself. So I make my own minced garlic so it will keep longer.  Why didn’t Michelle teach her daughters things like this.  Not only cooking, but basic homemaking like organizing, efficiency and economizing. My grandma with 11 kids was a master at that kind of thing.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

because i have to eat gluten free, i have to just smell it as i make it for my grandson. it was a staple growing up and a definite comfort food. i did, however, learn to make a 'from scratch' gluten free mac/cheese that is to die for!!!! of course, grandson hates it. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, zoomama said:

because i have to eat gluten free, i have to just smell it as i make it for my grandson. it was a staple growing up and a definite comfort food. i did, however, learn to make a 'from scratch' gluten free mac/cheese that is to die for!!!! of course, grandson hates it. 

Fellow gf eater, can you send me your recipe?

• Love 4

Thank you to everyone helping me work out how much a stick of butter weighs.  That is way too much butter to put in anything that isn’t Christmas Cake.  And with that many cans of things in this “recipe” I don’t see how it would all blend in, emulsify or what ever without leaving a nasty grease slick in your mouth.  

I kmow this has been said before, but there are so many you tube channel and other recipe sites with videos that show easy one or two pan recipes that are cheap, easy and healthy.  Jill could easily Duggarise these by adding extra garlic powder ( their seemingly favourite flavour additive) or some of their home made bread.  And so many of these are for 4 servings.  With the amount Is and Sam would be eating now, there would probably be a serving left for Derry to take to school for re-heating.  

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, LavendarRose said:

I kmow this has been said before, but there are so many you tube channel and other recipe sites with videos that show easy one or two pan recipes that are cheap, easy and healthy.  

Someone upthread noted that Jill deleted all the negative comments. I think she truly believes the Duggar way is superior and she isn't willing to take constructive criticism. As you mention, there's a YouTube video for everything domestic: cleaning routines, household organization, meal planning, budgeting, homeschooling, decorating etc. If the Duggar women truly wanted to improve their skills, there's free and valuable information available at the click of a button. The only one who seems to have stepped her game up is Jinger. Jessa is just lazy, Joy doesn't care and Jill is too deep in the Kool-aid to see their upbringing was garbage. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Someone upthread noted that Jill deleted all the negative comments. I think she truly believes the Duggar way is superior and she isn't willing to take constructive criticism. As you mention, there's a YouTube video for everything domestic: cleaning routines, household organization, meal planning, budgeting, homeschooling, decorating etc. If the Duggar women truly wanted to improve their skills, there's free and valuable information available at the click of a button. The only one who seems to have stepped her game up is Jinger. Jessa is just lazy, Joy doesn't care and Jill is too deep in the Kool-aid to see their upbringing was garbage. 

Why on earth would any of the Duggar girls think they need to go to You Tube and learn from heathens??  They "learned" from Mother of the Year, plus the Duggar way is far superior to anything anyone else could ever do.  I think this attitude is also why they haven't sought higher education.  They feel they've learned all they need to know from their parents, so why bother?

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Growing up, it was a real treat to have that. To this day, it is my favorite mac and cheese. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Growing up, it was a real treat to have that. To this day, it is my favorite mac and cheese. 

Apparently Canadians eat more "Kraft Dinner", as we call it, than any other country. It is definitely a comfort food for me too.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

Apparently Canadians eat more "Kraft Dinner", as we call it, than any other country. It is definitely a comfort food for me too.

The Canadian variations of Kraft Dinner are fascinating and delicious.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

But the best Canadian comfort food is poutines. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, LavendarRose said:

And with that many cans of things in this “recipe” I don’t see how it would all blend in, emulsify or what ever without leaving a nasty grease slick in your mouth.  \

You have to have the grease slick in order to get that "food" to go down.  No other way to swallow it.

• Love 7
On 10/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, MunichNark said:

Now, now, stop teasing! It's late here and I'm heading off to bed, but don't make Jilly Bean's head explode with tea! Black proper tea, herbal tea, green tea...and they all require different stages of water boiling or not as the case might be, so perhaps she could actually learn how to boil water properly first.

What did I ever do before the Duggars and this Forum came into my life? Where else could I snark so delightfully?

'night all...........

Man, you just made this SUPER hard!  Now I gotta buy a thermometer.  

• Love 5

Ahem, so Jill claims that the picture she posted is of the actual recipe but that low-sodium soups account for the noncreamy appearance. Does this make any sense? "Cream of" soup is still "cream of," no?

so.JPG

• Love 10

Yep, I figured she was lying. I was curious how she'd respond, and now we know. My hypothesis is that she grew tired of the criticism of her food looking like pure crap, so she decided to remedy it, and she did so the only way she knew how--by cheating. I truly believe she bought take-out food, dumped it over cooked pasta, and is now trying to pass it off as the recipe she posted.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, cdp73 said:

You have to have the grease slick in order to get that "food" to go down.  No other way to swallow it.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any grosser...!

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, graefin said:

Ahem, so Jill claims that the picture she posted is of the actual recipe but that low-sodium soups account for the noncreamy appearance. Does this make any sense? "Cream of" soup is still "cream of," no?

so.JPG

But the real question is, why would anyone have looked at this recipe and then made it for anything other than an experiment? Surely it wasn’t presented to someone’s loved ones as a meal. 

• Love 13
18 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

The roasted garlic in the jar isn’t bad, but I buy the 3 lb bag from Sam’s and mince it myself. So I make my own minced garlic so it will keep longer.  Why didn’t Michelle teach her daughters things like this.  Not only cooking, but basic homemaking like organizing, efficiency and economizing. My grandma with 11 kids was a master at that kind of thing.  

Originally this is what I expected the show to be. Boy did I misjudged the publicity. But I wouldn't have had the fun of snarking with you guys.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

There was no way that picture was the heart attack on a plate dish she made. No. Way. First, it was in focus and well composed. Second, you add cream of ANYTHING soup to a dish, low sodium or not, it WILL look creamy. I apologize for the random caps, but this just makes me stabby. She lies. Plain and simple. 

FWIW, there's an older recipe up (from May, I think) with an accompanying photo using the same plate. So I think she might have taken the photo, but I don't think she prepared the dish (she might have boiled the noodles, but that doesn't count as cooking).

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

There was no way that picture was the heart attack on a plate dish she made. No. Way. First, it was in focus and well composed. Second, you add cream of ANYTHING soup to a dish, low sodium or not, it WILL look creamy. I apologize for the random caps, but this just makes me stabby. She lies. Plain and simple. 

Just like Jessa. 

• Love 1

I love Kraft Mac & Cheese. I tend to use more butter and less milk than the recipe calls for to make it creamier. I also put in a can of tuna fish when I'm the only one eating it because that's the way my mom made it.

Apparently, the Possum in a Can is filled with compost-type material that will explode if you keep it in a warm place. 

I figured Jill stole the picture from somewhere else, but if that's her real plate why didn't she just post the recipe to what they actually ate? It looks like a can of chicken, a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce/tomato soup, mixed with chopped green pepper and chopped onions. That's healthier than what she posted and she could have claimed to have modified the recipe from the one her mom used when she was growing up.

• Love 11