Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

He sounds like your typical know it all law school student. 

Dude, you are no Perry Mason. 😁

Yep. He's a 2L pontificating about justice and litigation and all. Bless his heart. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

😂😂😂😂 Sure Jan  Derick. The rich and powerful always get what they deserve. 🙄

64BA5F49-E455-434C-9DBD-A930F1F47846.jpeg

Sounds like he thinks he’s going to get a big fat settlement.

You know, if he were twelve you’d excuse this kind of dumbshittery. But the guy is thirty and has a wife and two kids.

Selfishly, watching him flailing around taking on TLC and/or JimBob would be all kinds of fun.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 19
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I agree with most of that.  I totally agree that Derick has no legal case against JB or TLC or the production company, except if somebody committed massive fraud and probably forgery.

I think that Derick rushed into marriage with Jill. He'd been living in Nepal, probably filling his head with visions of marrying a great Christian girl with whom he'd partner for a great career as SBC missionaries through their International Missions Board. And his mother was fighting cancer which must have been hard on him emotionally. 

I think he went into his marriage with Jill before his feet had really hit the ground after coming back from Nepal. And of course getting into the Duggar world, and the Duggar family, came with the TV show appearances. I think that Derick started off in all that with great trust in JB, and no inclination to rock the boat. He was being welcomed into this big famous super Christian family, getting married and getting to have teh sex on the regular without enduring the hassles and challenges of dating, his wife was smart and going to be a great missionary partner for him - and he was gonna be on TV too!

But although nobody force-marched Jill or Derick in front of the TV cameras, being on the show wasn't really a business deal for them. It wasn't like deciding to buy furniture. It was bound up with family, and the powerful role that JB (and Michelle) play in that family. Yes, they were legally adults. But they were young, Jill was incredibly sheltered and enmeshed in her family, and Derick wanted to be a good husband and son-in-law. So although I don't think there was any undue influence on them in the "legal" sense, the family dynamics made it inevitable they would trust JB and probably not ask a lot of questions. 

I don't know when Derick began to see his in-laws more clearly, but Joshgate had to have been like a two by four to his head. The dude had not just married into this family, he'd entered into a covenant marriage (not legally necessary but a nice conservative Evangelical touch), publicized to millions because of the TV show. We know that he was upset that TLC didn't pay their medical bills for (I think) Izzy's birth since he said that on SM and said it took them a year to pay those bills. Derick can be a jerk. But really, when I think of what has happened since he returned from Nepal? It speaks to his character that he hasn't bugged out, hit the road, and made a new life for himself under another name. He's hanging in and even so far getting through law school, showing a little hustle by delivering GrubHub on the side. 

So, no lawsuit there but I don't think he was extraordinarily greedy or stupid for going along with JB over the TV show deal, just too immature, trusting, and naive.

I wonder if the discontent started when Jeremy decided he and Jinger wouldn't be joining the family arrangement. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

You know how a couple months ago Jill posted on social media about the "friend" that was in an abusive relationship? And how if you are in one, "you cannot stay!"

The more I think about it I wonder if Jill is actually talking about herself and leaving TTH. The thing that makes me raise my eyebrows is when she said go to a "LICENSED Christian therapist." Now that I think back didn't Smuggar go to a Christian "minister" or something for therapy? And Jill seems to think it's important to go to someone who specializes in getting fundies out of abusive relationships. (This is actually a very real thing -- Orthodox Jewish communities have these services too. They operate discreetly and are familiar with the many religious issues that must be handled with sensitivity and care when a woman seeks help.)

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

You know how a couple months ago Jill posted on social media about the "friend" that was in an abusive relationship? And how if you are in one, "you cannot stay!"

The more I think about it I wonder if Jill is actually talking about herself and leaving TTH. The thing that makes me raise my eyebrows is when she said go to a "LICENSED Christian therapist." Now that I think back didn't Smuggar go to a Christian "minister" or something for therapy? And Jill seems to think it's important to go to someone who specializes in getting fundies out of abusive relationships. (This is actually a very real thing -- Orthodox Jewish communities have these services too. They operate discreetly and are familiar with the many religious issues that must be handled with sensitivity and care when a woman seeks help.)

Based on some of the reading material she was displaying on social media, this wouldn't surprise me! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mimionthebeach said:

I wonder if the discontent started when Jeremy decided he and Jinger wouldn't be joining the family arrangement. 

Probably when JB and Meech wormed their way back on the show. If I were Der I’d resent that. He did much less and is still off the island.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, mimionthebeach said:

I doubt Jeremy has a different pay arrangement from the rest of them. How many checks is TLC willing to cut?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I doubt Jeremy has a different pay arrangement from the rest of them. How many checks is TLC willing to cut?

I don't think that TLC wants to pay more than what they already pay. And if TLC was paying Jeremy and Jinger separately, it would open the door for all other couples to ask for separate paychecks. It's possible they wouldn't because their under JB's thumb, but it would create conflict within the family. And why would Jeremy and Jinger get their own money, but not Derick and Jill?

Edited by Future Cat Lady
typo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I think Jim Bob might be pacing around the house tonight, yelling about getting that Stick Bug, Derick, under control. 

Their Duggar brand was heavily damaged with Josh.  They somehow managed to slither back and now another blow by Derick, who isn't even a bio child?  

Jim Bob is NOT happy.  Michelle is probably frantically making "sandwiches" to calm him down (brain bleach)

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

I’m interested in seeing how this plays out.  On 1 hand I hate Derelict. On the other I’m sure their is more than shadiness in JBs finances and his control over money that isn’t his ..and I hate him more than Derelict 

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I’m interested in seeing how this plays out.  On 1 hand I hate Derelict. On the other I’m sure their is more than shadiness in JBs finances and his control over money that isn’t his ..and I hate him more than Derelict 

I might not like Derick either but I dislike JB even more. 

• Love 15

That's the best kind of conflict to me, one where there is no chance you feel sympathy for a good person getting stomped.  All entertainment, no guilt.

I mean, I guess the kids and Jill could get caught in the middle, but I don't think that would be good for either one's image, so I don't think they would risk it.

Edited by ouinason
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

I just got caught up on this and my thoughts might not make sense but Derick said 2 things:

1. They left TLC because TLC tried to say that their mission trips to Danger America were a breach of contract

and

2. Jim Bob negotiated with TLC for everyone without telling them 

Could it be that Jim Bob threw a no extended mission trips clause in there to keep Jill and Derick close to home?  Then when they tried to leave again TLC brought up the contract and the Dillards were blindsided because they weren’t aware of this new clause.  Hence the sudden grift for donations to fund said trip, the mission job with the church, and the exit from the show altogether.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I just got caught up on this and my thoughts might not make sense but Derick said 2 things:

1. They left TLC because TLC tried to say that their mission trips to Danger America were a breach of contract

and

2. Jim Bob negotiated with TLC for everyone without telling them 

Could it be that Jim Bob threw a no extended mission trips clause in there to keep Jill and Derick close to home?  Then when they tried to leave again TLC brought up the contract and the Dillards were blindsided because they weren’t aware of this new clause.  Hence the sudden grift for donations to fund said trip, the mission job with the church, and the exit from the show altogether.  

I don't know how Danger America was a breach of contract. TLC filmed them there 2 or 3 times.

• Love 16
On 10/5/2019 at 7:17 AM, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, the first thing I thought was, "Derick has a lunch box?"

I mean, I have a lunch bag, but hearing "lunch box" just reminds me of the Cabbage Patch Kids lunch box that I used to have in elementary school in the 1980s!

I had Care Bears. White tin with yellow trim. It was awesome!

• Love 5

If Jeremy negotiated for it,  it's possible TLC is paying him and Jinger separately.

I think for the most part Derick is telling the truth and good for him.  Yes he was an adult, and he should have known better, but he clearly seemed infatuated with the Duggars when he met them. I also think that perhaps he thought they were getting money in a more structured ways. Who knows how JB structured payments?

Maybe they did get money independent from TLC and didn't have enough to over unexpected medicals bills? Derick turned to TLC and JB to help and they didn't. If Derick asked JB to cover some medical expenses and he didn't, that doesn't sound very Christian to me. But maybe Derick didn't want to beholden to JB? I remember for JB and Michelle paying for some dental work for then married son Josh.

Derick is not the most sympathetic guy. But if he's telling the truth, there are serious implications for the Duggar kids including the ones who are still minors.  Derick may chosen as an adult to marry Jill and be filmed, but the Duggars were mostly minors. They were all minors when the first specials were filmed. The Duggars lifestyle deliberately isolates their children from anyone who would help them question their parents' authority. They've been raised their whole lives to blindly follow their parents, which may keep a lot of them from speaking out. It would be easy for JB and Michelle to take the same teachings that keep them fundie (for the most part) and use that to get control of the money, even the adult kids. 

• Love 18
On 11/14/2019 at 2:02 AM, mynextmistake said:

I also remember that when Derick was asked about Josh, he said something like “forgiving doesn’t mean trusting.” It would not surprise me in the least if he forbade Jill from taking the boys to the TTH when Josh was around, which is probably all the time. That would explain why Michelle visits Jill and they can get together for restaurant meals and such but Jill doesn’t go to the TTH anymore. 

If this is true, I have only one thing to say — GO DERICK. 

Yes, if that’s the case I commend and agree with Derrick. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Look, I know a few places where I can hide a body.  None are in Arkansas, but I have my spots in some different states.  They don't call it The Great Dismal Swamp for nothing.

I can offer Arkansas-based suggestions. 😄

• LOL 8
10 hours ago, dariafan said:

I'm more annoyed Dullard is trickling this information out bit by bit. Just give us the full blown story already! The cryptic shit will only last so long. If you want to bring down your in-laws, just do it already. 

I feel like he did this on purpose with the two babies being born over the past week. We'll be waiting for Jabbie's plane baby, Jed! 2020, or another courtship announcement for him to drop more info. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s probably Derrick’s way of threatening someone while pretending he never threatened him.

Now why does this tactic sound so familiar today? Hmmmm...

This is the modus operandi of the whole clan -- which may be why Jill thought Derick would be a perfect match. JB and J'chelle have literally spent a lifetime threatening their children using words like "love" and "Jesus" and "family." None of those words have any warmth in that family, they all mean "get in line and do as you're told or all hell will break loose."

• Love 16
On 11/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

Is it possible that all the kidults agreed to be "paid" to a Duggar Company? And of course, JB is the owner of that company. The kids have always been controlled by their parents. They are raised to think that their parents are always right. I don't think they would go against their father. 

That's what I'm thinking - that TLC pays some sort of "Duggar Family Trust", instead of a batch of individuals; which means he can negotiate for everybody.  How/if this continues to work when everyone reaches their age of majority, I do not know.  

• Love 13

I think the Duggar kidults have very limited knowledge of real world, contracts and finances, so they didn't even know what they are agreeing to or what are their options.

But their spouses on the other hand I think know more. At least Jeremy, maybe Derrick. Lauren surely not

• Love 12