Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

Why are the oven temps for this recipe in Celsius?  

Perhaps the grandma of Jill's dear friends in Mississippi is from "overseas".  And remember people, it is not necessary to slice the brisket if it's pre-sliced.  Jill is a font of information!

• Love 11
9 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I think that first, what, month and a half, before Jill announce the pregnancy was pretty good. He had a devoted virgin wife, a good job, fame, free McMansion, and a decent income stream. Then Joshgate, DA, Dental Surgery, and Jazzgate hit, and he remembered he's an assholish loser. He's got the 'bad seed' aspect that Josh (and JB & Jeremy) seems to have. It's a shame, they all could've been nice, productive people if raised in a good environment. Instead it's all sickness and dysfunction, forever. I hope that month and a half was worth it, Derrick.

Ty for including Jeremy. People don’t see this

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

As a public service, I converted the recipe to Fahrenheit.  93.333ºC is 200ºF, and 176.667ºC is 350ºF. In case any of you all are brave enough to try the recipe.

So, in short, she nicked and wholesale copied the recipe from a link where someone had converted the American recipe to European and didn't bother to read it through before posting.

ETA: Ooops, sorry Jill.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 14

That brisket is a crime against beef.  The one thing that actually needs 12-16 hours to cook and she screws it up too.   a brisket should be smoked...end of discussion.   NOT sorry.  As a Texan who has eaten my weight in brisket 1,000x over in my lifetime, I'm seriously offended by what she did to that brisket. 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

So, in short, she nicked and wholesale copied the recipe from a link where someone had converted the American recipe to European and didn't bother to read it through before posting.

Sounds about right. I teach at the college level and without fail, we get several first and second students who read medical dictionaries and lift their papers from there. I ask them what "x" means and they look at me blankly. Yeah, you didn't write this.

I'm not sure the SOTDRT taught what Celsius is. It doesn't seem to jive with bankruptcy law and perpendicular.

• Love 16

When you live in a sheltered bubble, ala the Duggars, Mississippi is overseas.  

Word on Jill's Insta is one of the leghumpers is actually Josh.  Personally, I don't think he/she is Josh.  The "voice" doesn't match enough, but there are adamant posters to the contrary.  We need a confirm/deny from Pickles. 

• Love 1

$800 a month? So unfair.

1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

Why is she giving the cooking temperature in Celsius? Why are the temps fleshed out to three decimal places? What sort of oven does she have?

There's got to be someone, somewhere who actually likes Jill who can tell her to stop posting this shit.

Cut and paste?

• Love 4

That recipe has been up on her site for a while, though, hasn't it? (Or am I just getting confused because all her recipes literally look and sound the same?)

Is she linking it again? Or is it a repost? Somehow I don't remember the temps in Celsius or the emojis the first time around.

12 minutes ago, sixlets said:

We need a confirm/deny from Pickles. 

😂 As if Pickles actually has an "in" to the Duggars. She wishes! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, graefin said:

That recipe has been up on her site for a while, though, hasn't it? (Or am I just getting confused because all her recipes literally look and sound the same?)

Is she linking it again? Or is it a repost? Somehow I don't remember the temps in Celsius or the emojis the first time around.

Mrs. Bond’s Beef Brisket

May 21, 2018 | Recipes | 3 

We got this recipe from Mrs. Bond several years ago. She is the grandma of some dear friends of ours in Mississippi. It’s super easy and makes the whole house smell amazing when slow cooked!

1 Beef Brisket

1 (4oz.) bottle liquid smoke

1 bottle KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce

Place brisket in baking dish. Pour liquid smoke over. Let soak in fridge several hrs. Cover with foil and bake at 200 degrees till done (overnight), or at 350 degrees for several hours. After baking, pour off most of liquid smoke. Slice (if not pre-sliced). Cover with BBQ sauce and serve!

• Love 1

I use Celsius (Aussie), and I have never once seen a recipe use decimal points for cooking temperature. And we don't even get that precise with our conversions. If I'm converting an American recipe I found online, I'm not going to try to set my oven to 176, I'm going to round up 180.

Why you would slow cook something with only a small amount of liquid smoke is beyond me. You need moisture to keep it tender.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, cdp73 said:

And where are they getting pre-sliced brisket? I was so repulsed by the photo I missed many of the "nuances" of this abomination.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

I laughed so hard!!!  Looks like cold, chunky mashed potatoes with pumpkin seeds mixed in, in a Tupperware sitting on the couch. That’s my guess BEFORE I read the recipe- going to see what it is now to test my gross recipe guessing skillz!  

• Love 8

Repeating myself here. Is there no one that can guide them and garner positive PR for them?  Help them with a social media makeover? Clue them in that they’re a laughingstock?  Do they think this “persecution” is their burden to bear due to their flavor of Christianity? This level of tone-deafness usually afflicts fourteen-year-olds. Their poor kids. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Good question. We'll have to ask Mrs. Bond, the grandma of some dear friends of the Duggars in Mississippi.

I'd love to see Jill's fans using these temperatures on their Fahrenheit-calibrated ovens and sit down to a slab of rare meat. But Jill Duggar said!

• Love 6

I think it's very possible that Jill never even noticed that there was something "different" about the temperatures in the recipe she copied. She may not even know what the words "Fahrenheit" and "Celsius" mean. She probably just threw the brisket in the slow cooker with the liquid smoke (ugh!) and left it there for hours on end until she and Derick felt like eating.

• Love 9

The pie crust recipe:

To subscribe to the Duggar Family's NEW email newsletter please click here.

Flaky Pie Crust

January 16, 2015

2 2/3 c. sifted regular flour

1 t. salt

1 c. shortening

6 T. ice-cold water

Combine first 3 ingr. in large mixing bowl. Cut well with pastry cutter. Add ice-cold water. Cut with pastry cutter, thoroughly. *Always cut never stir. Dampen counter w/ wet cloth & lay saran wrap down. Sprinkle wrap with flour. Divide in 1/2. Shape into balls. Roll out on floured saran wrap, adding flour (sifted) as needed to keep from sticking. Carefully slide hand under Saran™ wrap. Invert pie plate over top of pie crust, center it, & flip, position it & peel saran wrap carefully off. Trim edges & shape as desired. (This is Daddy’s favorite pie crust w/ his favorite pie, pumpkin!)

Yields 2 crusts

NOTE: ™ = Trademark. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Results may vary. All recipes are valid for non-commercial useotherwise written permission must be obtained from the The Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family. © Copyright 2011

BB805C56-769A-4C69-BD57-349EFA0482B4.jpeg

• Love 2
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Help! My twins just yelled "Yaaaay! when they finished helping daddy with something. I don't want them to sound like Jilly! 

And apparently she's never heard of Claudes sauce. That's what you cook a brisket in. Liquid smoke. Ick. 

I guess there are a lot of different brisket recipes. One of mine does call for liquid smoke. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, leighdear said:

circus-sized meals.  

Thank you for making me laugh. This family *is* a circus. . . it's like we can't look away from the strange side show that is The Duggar Family.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, cdp73 said:

14 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm not sure the SOTDRT taught what Celsius is. It doesn't seem to jive with bankruptcy law and perpendicular.

I was thinking the same thing.  Jill wouldn't even have a clue how to Google conversions. 

14 hours ago, graefin said:

I thought the brisket recipe was also on the Duggar blog site but I can't find it.

I remember the old episode where the girls were clueless about mashed potatoes when they did one of their Thanksgiving episodes. They had to ask Mr. Google for help.

This (making basic mashed potatoes) is another example of things that should be embedded in their minds but they don't have a clue.  I know most of it is from them growing up making instant potatoes vs making mashed potatoes with real potatoes. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Why is she giving the cooking temperature in Celsius? Why are the temps fleshed out to three decimal places? What sort of oven does she have?

I suspect that she copied a recipe that was originally in Fahrenheit but had been converted to Celsius. When you do this on a calculator, the answer goes out to several decimal places.

Edited by Bayarea4
clarity

I think you guys are totally right that jill wouldn't know what Celsius is. The sad thing is, i'm pretty sure the majority of my former thirteen-year-old students would know this!!! Not only is she emotionally thirteen, but likely intellectually behind them in many ways. Great job, SORDRT!

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I think you guys are totally right that jill wouldn't know what Celsius is. The sad thing is, i'm pretty sure the majority of my former thirteen-year-old students would know this!!! Not only is she emotionally thirteen, but likely intellectually behind them in many ways. Great job, SORDRT!

Well, they barely learned the most basic concepts of AMURICAN schoolin’...can’t expect them to waste precious minutes on all that furrin stuff.

• Love 6
On 11/22/2018 at 2:26 AM, GeeGolly said:

Need to confess, no cranberry chutney at our Thanksgiving table. We have cranberry out of the can, can rings and all and I enjoy every bite!

I love that stuff!  I have made it myself before and I like that style as well.  But the jellied with can rings?  My fav.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, they barely learned the most basic concepts of AMURICAN schoolin’...can’t expect them to waste precious minutes on all that furrin stuff.

Too true. Even in regular school, way, way back in the day we were taught very basic knowledge of the metric system. We were told by high school we'd learn more because the whole world would be using this system. In high school we were told we would need it for our careers. Here I am years later and I still only have a general idea of metric measurements. Celsius v Fahrenheit - well thank goodness for Google! I doubt the school of the dining room table ever touched on any of it.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 6

I've made "oven smoked" beef brisket plenty of times, when I didn't have access to a smoker.  And liquid smoke is necessary, but not an entire 4 oz. bottle.  That's beyond overpowering.  My "smoking" liquid includes apple juice, molasses, adobe chilies & sauce and a scant tablespoon of liquid smoke.  The only part of that recipe I agree with is to cook low & slow at 200 for about 7 hours.  

A full 4oz. bottle of liquid smoke would be so unbelievably harsh and bitter.  So unless her brisket weighs about 20 pounds, that's way too much and way too dry. 

And Mississippi grandmas have 3 baking temperatures.  A "slow" oven (200), a "regular" oven (350) and a "hot" oven (425).   Slow is for recipes like this, regular is for baking something like a ham or cookies and hot is for making biscuits.  That's it.  No Celsius. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I still only have a general idea of metric measurements. Celsius v Fahrenheit - well thank goodness for Google! I doubt the school of the dining room table ever touched on any of it.

One exception: centimeters. You know, because of childbirth and all. 

• Love 15
22 hours ago, graefin said:

Oops.  That was meant to be sarcastic.  The only thing that we know for 100% certainty that came from Pickles is the Duggars like Vlasic products and (I'm guessing here) Aquanet hairspray.  Hey, she was bound to get one or two right.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

As much as we rag on Jilly Muffin for being a perpetual teenager, her petulant husband was nowhere near ready to be a father.

And she has to submit to him, whether she actually agrees with him or not. He's a professional student, so she becomes a perpetual teenager.

I suspect if she had been married to someone like Austin or Jeremy, who seem more responsible, Jill may have turned out different.

• Love 2

Indeed...but our stores don't sell that canned/creamed types of food

Damn you Europe...

Which reminds me...children should't eat sodium or salty food at least for their first year. Can we hope Izzy and Sam got age appropriate food when they started weaning? But then, I doubt it

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Indeed...but our stores don't sell that canned/creamed types of food

Damn you Europe...

Which reminds me...children should't eat sodium or salty food at least for their first year. Can we hope Izzy and Sam got age appropriate food when they started weaning? But then, I doubt it

Their first food was probably mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese in it. 

One can only hope Jill went the pre made baby food route...

• Love 8