Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

(edited)
43 minutes ago, scriggle said:

The pay rate is between $0.10 - $0.30 per 1000 thousand views

Don't Youtubers earn more if they have tons of followers?  Like, if someone with a million followers puts out a video and gets only 50,000 views for that video and someone with 75,000 followers gets 50,000 views, would they be paid the same?  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Don't Youtubers earn more if they have tons of followers?  Like, if someone with a million followers puts out a video and gets only 50,000 views for that video and someone with 75,000 followers gets 50,000 views, would they be paid the same?  

In almost every YT video I watch, the creator always reminds the viewers to “Like, Subscribe and Activate the notification bell”, so I think the more “subscribers” they have, the more they get paid.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

In almost every YT video I watch, the creator always reminds the viewers to “Like, Subscribe and Activate the notification bell”, so I think the more “subscribers” they have, the more they get paid.

Yes, I meant to say "subscribers," not "followers." 🙂

And I think the Youtuber gets a piece of the ads that are run.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

From what I read, the number of subscribers is important but the articles emphasize that the youtubers don't really know from month to month what they'll be paid. It's not a transparent process, probably quite purposefully. I got the impression that those who really make bank get more from sponsorships and the like.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

When calculating views, do they count repeat views from one person? Or is a view, a view, a view, and they all count? And could the content creator view their own video and will it count?

I don't know. YouTube/Google are not transparent about how their algorithms work. Other than that we can be sure they work to their benefit. I'm pretty sure that a view is a view but it can't just be click on the vid and then close it. There's some sort of duration requirement whether it's the entire video or just some percentage I don't know.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

That is so interesting and helpful! I'm not sure she can pull off another month like July, without giving birth again. 

I have a couple of other questions about YouTube, which you may or may not know the answers. When calculating views, do they count repeat views from one person? Or is a view, a view, a view, and they all count? And could the content creator view their own video and will it count?

I don't know anything about YouTube specifically, but when I have written/operated blogs for businesses, my views when logged in did not count as a view. Otherwise, the stats would have been artificially inflated and worthless. I played around with it extensively to see. LOL My guess would be YouTube would be the same way but not sure. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know anything about YouTube specifically, but when I have written/operated blogs for businesses, my views when logged in did not count as a view. Otherwise, the stats would have been artificially inflated and worthless. I played around with it extensively to see. LOL My guess would be YouTube would be the same way but not sure. 

I figured as much, but I could see Jessa watching her video over and over to get the views. As it is she probably calls the TTH and has Michelle instruct everyone to watch the video multiple times a day.

I can hear her on the intercom, in her sing-song voice - Okay everybody its time to find a device and log onto Sister's birth videos.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I figured as much, but I could see Jessa watching her video over and over to get the views. As it is she probably calls the TTH and has Michelle instruct everyone to watch the video multiple times a day.

I can hear her on the intercom, in her sing-song voice - Okay everybody its time to find a device and log onto Sister's birth videos.

If she logged out, she probably could! LOL 

And I wouldn't be surprised if she urges relatives to watch as much as possible. I did that with those blogs too. All my relatives subscribed out of solidarity, but I don't know how much they actually read. And I could see that being the case here too. 

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa must have made enough YouTube money to get them through July. I wonder what is up next?

• Camping with a Newborn
  • Diaper Mountain Number 2 (💩😁
  • Spurgie Makes Lunch
  • Boys' Day/Girls' Day

Putting a ceremonial Fern on the death shelf.

Ben's Rapping.

Family Camp at Joy's.

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 11
On 7/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, GeeGolly said:

I agree that Ben is passive, but I don't think he's completely passive. They have spoken about fights they have had, and how certain communication styles piss each other off.

I've been out of the loop for a while and I keep reading about Ben and Jessa's lack of communication, like how Ben apparently spent a good long while barely speaking to Jessa, but I can't find the sources for those claims. Are there interviews or videos that adress this? Can anyone hook me up?

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, scriggle said:

From what I read, the number of subscribers is important but the articles emphasize that the youtubers don't really know from month to month what they'll be paid. It's not a transparent process, probably quite purposefully. I got the impression that those who really make bank get more from sponsorships and the like.

I subscribe to a few YouTube accounts, but I rarely watch the videos. I would think they get paid by the actual click/watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

And apparently if there are ads, the YouTuber gets more $ if the viewer watched the ads instead of clicking “skip ads” as soon as possible. YouTube also pays more if people watch until  the end. Unless the YouTuber creates constant and consistent content, the $$ is probably at the lower end too. So Jessa needs to up her game if she wants to earn more.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

If she logged out, she probably could! LOL 

And I wouldn't be surprised if she urges relatives to watch as much as possible. I did that with those blogs too. All my relatives subscribed out of solidarity, but I don't know how much they actually read. And I could see that being the case here too. 

I’m fairly sure they only count “unique” views, which means one per user.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Late to the party, but Fern? I guess their ten girls are all going to end up with botanical names. These seem popular among fundies lately — Josie Bates Balka named her girls Willow and Hazel.  Eliana (usually spelled with one N) means “God has answered,” so I guess that’s the biblical connection?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I swear I saw a used diaper on top of the dresser!   Look closely to the left of Ivy's head.

I guess she's planting the first seed toward a bigger and "better" Diaper Mountain. 

• LOL 17
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm curious as to why Jessa refuses to buy her children pajamas that fit? They look like stuffed sausages in beige and oatmeal casings.

You'd think she would have stocked up on well-fitting clothes for the older ones knowing she'd be preoccupied with an infant for several months. Alyssa Webster's kids' clothes fit well, and she's on her 4th.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I swear I saw a used diaper on top of the dresser!   Look closely to the left of Ivy's head.

I thought so too. I stopped and looked closer and it might be a white plastic bag with something darker inside.....  or a diaper. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

You'd think she would have stocked up on well-fitting clothes for the older ones knowing she'd be preoccupied with an infant for several months. Alyssa Webster's kids' clothes fit well, and she's on her 4th.

I think Alyssa is fully aware her childhood was shit and makes an effort to do better. Jessa seems to have the attitude of "Meh, if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids," which is why no one in her household is thriving. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I think Alyssa is fully aware her childhood was shit and makes an effort to do better. Jessa seems to have the attitude of "Meh, if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids," which is why no one in her household is thriving. 

Yeah, that's why I made the direct comparison. It CAN be done. Jessa is lazy and complacent.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm curious as to why Jessa refuses to buy her children pajamas that fit? They look like stuffed sausages in beige and oatmeal casings.

Pajamas for babies and toddlers are supposed to be tight (or fire retardant). Looking at the top, it looks like there’s lots of length in it, so it’s not too small. Ivy just had a round tummy, so it looks too small. But, in this case, it appears Jessa has the correct size. 

Now, the dirty diaper?  That’s just 🤢🤢

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Pajamas for babies and toddlers are supposed to be tight (or fire retardant). Looking at the top, it looks like there’s lots of length in it, so it’s not too small. Ivy just had a round tummy, so it looks too small. But, in this case, it appears Jessa has the correct size. 

Now, the dirty diaper?  That’s just 🤢🤢

Pajamas are not supposed to be tight, just close-fitting.  There's a difference.  Ivy's pajamas are too tight on her, whether the length is ok or not.  I cannot imagine anyone being comfortable sleeping in the Arkansas heat in those things.

Here's some photos of kids wearing similar pj's, perfectly safe, but not uncomfortably tight like Jessa's kids seem to wear.  A lot of their daytime clothing is similarly too tight, IMO.

https://www.pajamagram.com/kids

• Love 14

What I noticed in that video is how much Ivy looks like Spurgeon. With that towel on her head, her face is near identical to Spurgeon’s at the same age. Super cute. 
I hate Jessa’s religious beliefs, but her and Ben do make pretty babies. 

• Love 10

We've been a heat advisory for a few days--it only started to cool down on Sunday and should be unseasonably nice for the next few days--but honestly even the AC doesn't really completely alleviate how awful the heat and humidity can be. My icemaker has been on the fritz, and drinking room-temperature beverages in this weather has made me feel especially martyred. LOL And that's with AC. You couldn't pay me to sleep in long sleeves or full pants right now, even in an air-conditioned house, and I do think it would be a shitty thing to do with kids. 

I actually saw some British people having a meltdown on Twitter a couple of weeks ago about how America only has dry heat, and I wanted to personally pay for them to come experience Arkansas summers and tell me if that's a dry heat. 

• Love 17
31 minutes ago, Zella said:

We've been a heat advisory for a few days--it only started to cool down on Sunday and should be unseasonably nice for the next few days--but honestly even the AC doesn't really completely alleviate how awful the heat and humidity can be. My icemaker has been on the fritz, and drinking room-temperature beverages in this weather has made me feel especially martyred. LOL And that's with AC. You couldn't pay me to sleep in long sleeves or full pants right now, even in an air-conditioned house, and I do think it would be a shitty thing to do with kids. 

I actually saw some British people having a meltdown on Twitter a couple of weeks ago about how America only has dry heat, and I wanted to personally pay for them to come experience Arkansas summers and tell me if that's a dry heat. 

Oh gosh. I'm with you on the heat + humidity and the long sleeves and long pants in that kind of weather. Sorry about your icemaker. That's a serious problem in this weather. (BTW I grew up in Houston, which is basically 98 degrees F + 98 percent relative humidity. I've lived in Colorado for 40+ years and though I hate winter I love the dry climate. I've traveled to the UK several times. I could 'splain dry heat and humidity to those Brits. 🧐 If they think all the US is the same climate, that's sort of cute but SO sadly wrong, lol.)

I hope the Seewalds' AC is powerful if the kids are sleeping in tight body-covering sleepwear right now. I agree with @Fallacy - Jessa and Bin do make pretty babies. 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think people have different tolerance to temperatures. Chicago has pretty bad humidity in the summer (we get the worst of both worlds, the snow/cold and hot humid summers), and I still sleep full pants often in the summer (I keep my AC at 74). I would never assume in an air conditioned house a child would be uncomfortable in long thin pj pants/top. 

I know Jessa can be clueless but I wouldn't think the kids would be uncomfortable based on the pjs I saw. For Spurgeon or Henry, if they said they were hot, of course I would accommodate them, but with my own preferences I wouldn't assume they would be hot. 

Ivy did look adorable with her towel twisted on her head. She is a cute child like you said @Jeeves. Although Jessa and Ben are both nice looking individuals so I am not surprised their children are cute. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh gosh. I'm with you on the heat + humidity and the long sleeves and long pants in that kind of weather. Sorry about your icemaker. That's a serious problem in this weather. (BTW I grew up in Houston, which is basically 98 degrees F + 98 percent relative humidity. I've lived in Colorado for 40+ years and though I hate winter I love the dry climate. I've traveled to the UK several times. I could 'splain dry heat and humidity to those Brits. 🧐 If they think all the US is the same climate, that's sort of cute but SO sadly wrong, lol.)

I hope the Seewalds' AC is powerful if the kids are sleeping in tight body-covering sleepwear right now. I agree with @Fallacy - Jessa and Bin do make pretty babies. 

I have a half brother in western Colorado I reconnected with last year. He is a weather geek, and we like to compare notes. A couple of weeks ago he told me that it was raining there and 30% humidity, which was high to him. And I was like, 85% humidity here, not raining. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

And of course even by Arkansas standards, NWA is downright pleasant. It gets so much hotter once you leave the hills and hit the river valley or the delta. 

4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think people have different tolerance to temperatures. Chicago has pretty bad humidity in the summer (we get the worst of both worlds, the snow/cold and hot humid summers), and I still sleep full pants often in the summer (I keep my AC at 74). I would never assume in an air conditioned house a child would be uncomfortable in long thin pj pants/top. 

I know Jessa can be clueless but I wouldn't think the kids would be uncomfortable based on the pjs I saw. For Spurgeon or Henry, if they said they were hot, of course I would accommodate them, but with my own preferences I wouldn't assume they would be hot. 

Ivy did look adorable with her towel twisted on her head. She is a cute child like you said @Jeeves. Although Jessa and Ben are both nice looking individuals so I am not surprised their children are cute. 

That's a fair point, but I don't know anyone who does that here. I'd shank the person who tried to put me in full pants at night,but I also do have very little tolerance for heat. 

• Love 8

Short sleeved and short pants fire retardant pjs for kids are also a thing.  I've washed, folded, and put away several dozen as my stint as grandma the washing assistant.  Jessa could easily put the kids in lighter weight shorter summer pjs.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm a little surprised she knows about pajamas at all, given her family history.  Or did only the girls have to sleep in street clothes.

Honestly I think the street clothes was for filming days.  I don’t think they wanted their children filmed in pajamas so my opinion is they had them get up, dress,  then go back to bed. That way they could be filmed ‘waking up’. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Honestly I think the street clothes was for filming days.  I don’t think they wanted their children filmed in pajamas so my opinion is they had them get up, dress,  then go back to bed. That way they could be filmed ‘waking up’. 

That could be.  I actually taught with a woman who had trouble getting her family organized in the morning, so she had her kids get dressed for school the night before and sleep in their clothes.  But, besides the Duggars, that is the only person I have ever heard of that did this.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

That was my idea too. Probably read it somewhere, but it made sense to me that the Duggars with all their extra-special modesty standards wouldn't want their kids filmed in sleepwear. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

That could be.  I actually taught with a woman who had trouble getting her family organized in the morning, so she had her kids get dressed for school the night before and sleep in their clothes.  But, besides the Duggars, that is the only person I have ever heard of that did this.

Gross. Just get up earlier!

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, Zella said:

And lay the clothing out the night before!

This isn't hard, people. 

Granddaughter did this sometimes when she was much younger. Sometimes the parents have other children to attend to and morning battles weren’t worth it. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, zenme said:

Gross. Just get up earlier!

But....Duggar time....

8 hours ago, Zella said:

And lay the clothing out the night before!

This isn't hard, people. 

But....Duggar allergy to preparation....

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My 8-year-old likes to pick out her outfit for the next day and sleep in it. I let her do it over school holidays, but for school she has to wear pjs or her uniform will get wrinkled. She bathes before changing for bed and has clean sheets, so I don't have a problem with it. 

Jessa not only uses pajamas for her children, but posts pictures and video of her kids wearing them, in contrast to her parents. For all of her defensiveness regarding her upbringing, this is a departure. It will be interesting to see if more changes show up over the next few years, especially without a show tethering her to her parents. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

That was my idea too. Probably read it somewhere, but it made sense to me that the Duggars with all their extra-special modesty standards wouldn't want their kids filmed in sleepwear. 

Didn't we hear someplace that the rules against pj's, which the Duggars had insisted were due to modesty in front of the film crew, were actually instituted by JB and M after Josh molested the girls?  I seem to recall an insider claiming that. And, of course, that meant the boys couldn't wear pajamas either, in order to keep the ruse up.

I presume the girls to that point probably wore nightgowns rather than Satan's pajama pants, and JB and M wanted more layers between them and their brother, so they were forced to sleep in their clothes/underwear/tights/longjohns and any other barrier that could be thrown up against the molester.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Didn't we hear someplace that the rules against pj's, which the Duggars had insisted were due to modesty in front of the film crew, were actually instituted by JB and M after Josh molested the girls?  I seem to recall an insider claiming that. And, of course, that meant the boys couldn't wear pajamas either, in order to keep the ruse up.

I presume the girls to that point probably wore nightgowns rather than Satan's pajama pants, and JB and M wanted more layers between them and their brother, so they were forced to sleep in their clothes/underwear/tights/longjohns and any other barrier that could be thrown up against the molester.

I would believe that. TBH, I don't think you have to be Duggar levels of sick/perverted/misogynistic, to not want your children to appear on TV in nightwear, no matter how modest.

OTOH, I believe that the Duggars took the already nuts Bill Gothard rules of modest dress, to another level, in response to their teenaged son having molested at least five tiny little girls under their own roof. Because God forbid that any male see the shoulder or collarbone of a female of any age, lest he be tempted to commit sexual assault. Which IMO is a really sick (and I don't mean that as a compliment) attitude. 

So we saw Michelle, on camera, nearly panic when toddler Josie's jacket slipped off and a shoulder was exposed. It was a scene I remember when a bunch of little kids were playing outdoors after one of the Duggar daughters' weddings. Michelle's reaction seemed over the top severe, as she yanked the jacket back into place. Of course that was before Joshgate, when we learned that the "modesty" rules were part of the Duggar parents' reaction to their Crown Prince's molestations. After Joshgate broke, that scene made a lot more sense to me.

And, just so we got served a cherry of actually dangerous ignorance on top of the lump of perverted misogynistic "reasons" for the "modesty" dress rules? It was Michelle who chirped, for the TV cameras, about her daughters wearing flip-flops: "But, feet aren't sexual." 🤦‍♀️

ETA: And, these were the asshat parents who allowed heaven knows how much footage and how many photos to be taken, of their nubile adolescent daughters eating nice big fat pickles. Oh well, all that TV money was great, and they got to be famous, so I'm sure JB was okay with that. And Meech didn't even, IMO, get it at all. 

Edited by Jeeves
Added pickles to the list of things that aren't at all possibly sexual or suggestive in Michelle's world
  • Love 8