Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Actually, it was Austin Stowell.  Tom Hanks played the guy that got him released.  Though, spoiler I guess :-)  I knew what they were talking about since I saw the movie but couldn't remember his name.  

I will have to inform hubby that he was wrong..lol 

• Love 2

I was happy Lisa got FJ, I wouldn't have gotten it in a million years had I not actually visited that bridge many years ago and walked on the West Berlin portion of it. 

Also, while I can enjoy a little bit of The Smiths now and then, I am VERY comfortable with them being excluded from the Rock HOF. Is there an Emo HOF? 

• Love 3

I can never remember the order of his names, so I would have had to have left it at "Who is Powers?" and pray for no rogue judges requiring excessive specificity.  

(And in reading the comments here, evidently I need to watch Bridge of Spies...)

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Scott said:

(And in reading the comments here, evidently I need to watch Bridge of Spies...)

That movie went under my radar when it came out, but it does sound like something Mr.Trey and I would like.

• Love 3

For FJ, 1962 was the telling part of the clue for me as I immediately thought of the U2 pilot.  Then my brain went numb and all I could think was "Gary...Gary...Gary."  Never could remember Powers.  /SmacksHead

We seem to have a very good champ on our hands.  Two BIG payoffs so far.  She annoyed me a bit on day one but now I'm definitely pulling for her!

• Love 2

It's really great and Mark Rylance won the Oscar for Supporting Actor (which eventually will turn out to be a Jeopardy question). 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Actually, it was Austin Stowell.  Tom Hanks played the guy that got him released.  Though, spoiler I guess :-)  I knew what they were talking about since I saw the movie but couldn't remember his name.  

I know who Tom Hanks played in the movie - I thought that was the correct answer because he was the movie protagonist and was the first person to come to mind, and was so hung up on trying to remember his name that I didn't think through the clue enough to realize it would be referring to Powers.

(Also I had to google who Austin Stowell is - never heard the name before!)

• Love 1

I missed FJ & who won today because of weathermen breaking in with tornado warnings north of here. Although, it has been raining all day. I had already planned to take today off from my Road Trip to do laundry, so I'm fine with the weather, but, damn, they cut into Jeopardy!!

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me, and I've never actually read it!  How is it possible that not one of today's contestants knew that?  And right up until then, it was a pretty good game, too.  I would have been okay with any of them winning, I think.

I also got Oort cloud and Mao Tse-tung, the missed DD.  Also, how did Lisa miss Mao?  And would they have accepted Chairman Mao?

• Love 7
(edited)

Instaget for me, and I couldn't believe they all got it wrong.

ETA: "I've been sucking" is a really bad stupid thing to write down when you don't know the answer. (The part he couldn't write was "in my stomach," which doesn't really make it any better.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 10

Lisa!  WTH!?  Congrats to Pat.  He seems okay, but I'll miss Lisa and her scarves.

I got Catskills and Mao Tse-tung (missed DD - how could Lisa not know that?).

FJ was an instaget and I've never read it.  How could none of them know that?  Pat's answer was bad on so many levels...

• Love 8

i'm ver surprised the champ didn't get fj.  i quess i'm telling my age by saying i knew fj immediately!!..  and, like cd54, i've never read it.  i got  the catskills but i live in the catskill.

• Love 4

OK, who jinxed Lisa? I didn't see her first game, but she won me over with her cat story today. 

Agree with all of you that no one getting FJ was shocking. In the privacy of my living room, I decided to "bet it all" since I had worked in a bookstore* in the '80s. Lo and behold, I knew it instantly, and I could even picture the book's cover.

(*You used to be able to walk into a store where there were shelves and shelves of books and you could browse and stuff. Ha, I shouldn't be so snarky, I read on a Kindle myself now!)

• Love 11

Because "sitting under a to kill a mockingbird" makes so much sense. Ugh. It hurt that no one knew one of my favorite books.

I bet Alex knew he was reading "sucking," he just wanted the contestant to say it.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, chewycandy said:

Because "sitting under a to kill a mockingbird" makes so much sense. Ugh. It hurt that no one knew one of my favorite books.

I bet Alex knew he was reading "sucking," he just wanted the contestant to say it.

Yes, you could tell he couldn't believe what he wrote and didn't want to say it.

I didn't get FJ.  Never read the book, also though it was older than the 60s. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

It's really great and Mark Rylance won the Oscar for Supporting Actor (which eventually will turn out to be a Jeopardy question). 

Wasn't he fantastic! I was so happy when he won the Oscar. Well deserved.

3 hours ago, dcalley said:

ETA: "I've been sucking" is a really bad stupid thing to write down when you don't know the answer. (The part he couldn't write was "in my stomach," which doesn't really make it any better.)

I'm sure he added "in my stomach" to make the mild vulgarity less impolite, but I agree that he shouldn't have written it at all.

And, yes, I too am shocked no one got The Bell Jar. I thought they all would. After Brittany and Pat both missed it, I thought certainly Pat would get it -- She's well-read -- but no. Wow.

I didn't get any TSs, not that there were many. I almost got Catastrophe, but I just couldn't recall the name. I knew it began with C. Confusion? Cataract? Oh well.

• Love 5

I missed FJ and The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books. Unfortunately "Glass" made "The Glass Menagerie" stick in my head and I couldn't think around it, so I would have had no answer at all.

The previous day's FJ is what I love about Jeopardy! That's a fact I had no idea of but find it to be an interesting historical fact I'll look for more info on. #Jeopardyiseducational

I'll miss Lisa. After his FJ response I just think Pat is super creepy.

• Love 3

I dropped in here last night just before the show - I know, I should have known better - and got spoiled for FJ but I would have gotten it anyhow. 

That category on TV streaming was a black hole for me. I did get Mao Zedong; I think Chairman Mao would have been accepted.

13 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

After his FJ response I just think Pat is super creepy.

Ditto.

I am sorry I jinxed Lisa by saying I like her, a few posts back.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I missed FJ and The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books. Unfortunately "Glass" made "The Glass Menagerie" stick in my head and I couldn't think around it, so I would have had no answer at all.

It wasn't one of my favorite books, but I'd certainly read it as a lit major. I didn't recognize the quote, but I was able to put "glass" together with Bell Jar and the poet Plath because the clue said something about it being the only novel. The only quote I remember from Plath was a poem, I think. I'll have to look it up. 

I was sad to see Lisa go. 

• Love 3

Very sad to see Lisa go.

The only TS I got were Catskills & Mao. Surprised that Moon did not get a BMS.

8 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'll miss Lisa. After his FJ response I just think Pat is super creepy.

Agree. I'm sure he thinks he's funny; I just hope that he learns what is & isn't appropriate before his next game. But watching Alex get out of having to say sucking was pretty funny. 

7 hours ago, Trey said:

That category on TV streaming was a black hole for me.

Me too, but I understand that is how the young people watch TV these days *shakes cane* 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Me too.  Isn't Moon a pretty common name in Korea? 

Of that, I'm not sure, but my surprise was because of the term "Moonies" leading to "Moon" without having to know his name.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Of that, I'm not sure, but my surprise was because of the term "Moonies" leading to "Moon" without having to know his name.

I was also surprised that they accepted just Moon but I was glad of it because that was all I had.

• Love 2

I've still been missing the show for whatever reason, and now I'm sad Catskills was a TS.  They are one of my favorite places in the entire world, and the town of Catskill does an art exhibit where people decorate big ceramic cats on pedestals all over town with themes like steampunk or Captain America or a fishercat.  It's awesome.

Did someone put as a FJ answer "I've been sucking in my stomach?"  Like what does that even MEAN?

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did someone put as a FJ answer "I've been sucking in my stomach?"  Like what does that even MEAN?

He wrote half of it, just the "I've been sucking..." and he said the rest.  I imagine he meant he was sucking in his stomach to look thinner.

• Love 1

Brandon was doing this thing with his face that I can't explain but it was driving me bonkers.  Also the signaling device called and it would like to file a complaint.

Here's a picture of Rob Lowe.  We're going to give you nineteen words that mean nothing because who wouldn't recognize Rob Lowe?!?

Not to get into semantics, but am I to understand that you can be a Stay-at-Home Mom and also have a career?

I realized today that I have a dickens of a time remembering who is Andrew Jackson and who is Andrew Johnson.

Pat was poky.  Good lord.

I knew FJ because I know too much about that family.

That was nice of the SAHM to be devastated that she lost but clapped nicely for the winner.  Also her baby shower story was cute.

• Love 8
(edited)

I blurted out the answer  to FJ  before AT finished reading the clue.

Pat was the beneficiary of what I would call a silent BMS from AT -- by not ruling correct/incorrect immediately Pat was able to get out the rest of the answer.  Like the Women's March ........... on Washington.

ETA: I got the Denmark TS -- seriously how was this a TS by the 3 contestants ?

Reese Witherspoon wasn't even alive when 'The Godfather' was filmed.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I thought that "Sofia Coppola was the baby in Godfather" was common knowledge. Silly me! 

I actually had no idea --  /whispers/ I've never seen The Godfather /whispers/, and also couldn't remember if Sofia had won an Oscar.  Nevertheless, I did get FJ right, just figuring there had to be a family connection.

I also got Chisholm Trail and Being and Nothingness.  There may have been other TS I might have gotten, but I was distracted by something shiny and didn't give the game my full attention.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Here's a picture of Rob Lowe.  We're going to give you nineteen words that mean nothing because who wouldn't recognize Rob Lowe?!?

I was actually surprised they didn't include a picture in the Jackie Gleason question.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I blurted out the answer  to FJ  before AT finished reading the clue.

Pat was the beneficiary of what I would call a silent BMS from AT -- by not ruling correct/incorrect immediately Pat was able to get out the rest of the answer.  Like the Women's March ........... on Washington.

Reese Witherspoon wasn't even alive when 'The Godfather' was filmed.

You're right she wasn't, but just by about 4 years.  Not too far off.  She was born in 1976, GF I came out in 1972.  More the fact that Reese Witherspoon obviously does not look Italian, at all, should be a clue. 

Interesting useless fact as well :  Peyton Manning and Reese Witherspoon were born 2 days apart in the same hospital. 

Still, what a bad guess.  That and Marisa Tomei as well. 

Obviously I knew that one. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Brandon was doing this thing with his face that I can't explain but it was driving me bonkers.  Also the signaling device called and it would like to file a complaint.

Not to get into semantics, but am I to understand that you can be a Stay-at-Home Mom and also have a career?

I realized today that I have a dickens of a time remembering who is Andrew Jackson and who is Andrew Johnson.

Pat was poky.  Good lord.

I knew FJ because I know too much about that family.

That was nice of the SAHM to be devastated that she lost but clapped nicely for the winner.  Also her baby shower story was cute.

He closed his eyes each time during or after each response. 

• Love 2

I think Alex threw him a couple of other bones like that, Audubon and another I can't remember. Super annoying.

It's insanr how well that woman played only to blow it in FJ. I expect Brandon(?) will be a one and done. I hope so anyway.

• Love 10

What kind of FJ wager was that, Elizabeth?  Best bet was $20K; you can't count on the other guy missing it.

Second best bet is assuming everyone misses FJ, in which case you bet under $9K to precent Brandon from beating you with a $0 bet.

Sofia Coppola has a new movie out.  Is that why they chose this FJ?

Glad Brandon won.

• Love 2

Brandon "I think cows are cool" is annoying as hell.  And why was his buzzer clicking louder than a Geiger counter at Chernobyl?  

Wasn't one of the answers chili relleno and Elisabeth said chili trayjoes or something equally odd?  Some of her pronunciations were strange, but I wish she'd won instead of Cow Man.

Again, people, if there's one category left, no need to say the entire category name or even part of it.  Or like Pat, stand there and say "uhhh" like there's really a choice.

I got Chisholm Trail, point spread, Odd Fellows, and CB radios.

FJ was answered before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You're right she wasn't, but just by about 4 years.  Not too far off.  She was born in 1976, GF I came out in 1972.  More the fact that Reese Witherspoon obviously does not look Italian, at all, should be a clue. 

It was an infant...and a boy, at that...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I will admit that I said Belgium. If I took my time, I could say where Belgium and Denmark are, but I tend to confuse them. 

The only TS I got was Chisholm Trail. I also got FJ, which seemed easy, but for those who didn't know it, I would think it was an interesting bit of trivia to learn.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I was actually surprised they didn't include a picture in the Jackie Gleason question.

Sadly, I got it wrong because of no picture. I blame being exhausted and expecting a trickiness that wasn't there (I said Art Carney).

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well, unless the baby had a full head of dark hair (don't remember, maybe it did), I'm not sure it would matter. Babies of that age are little adorable blobs who are pretty similar. I got it, though I had to pause, because I remembered Talia Shire is a Coppola, so I had make sure I didn't mix up the names.

• Love 2

Reese Witherspoon????? At least Marisa Tomei is Italian.  I guess they were both just fishing for women Oscar winners. Speaking of "Women" ... you know I never realized how often they do that with categories until people pointed it out here. 

• Love 5
(edited)

It was a pretty good game today. I liked all 3 stories & although Brandon bugged the most, he is not too terribly painful to watch. Loved the alliterative category!

TS I got were point spread & Odd Fellows. FJ was an instaget. Reese Witherspoon, as mentioned upthread was born 4 years after the movie came out, and Marisa Tomei was born a full 8 years after the movie was released!  

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I the town of Catskill does an art exhibit where people decorate big ceramic cats on pedestals all over town with themes like steampunk or Captain America or a fishercat.  It's awesome.

Adding to travel bucket list..

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Brandon drove me crazy with the signaling device as well. That Rob Lowe clue was so easy, but I cannot complain about a picture of Rob Lowe, even though it was not a very good one. 

I guess Elisabeth either teaches on-line or at night when her hubby is home. I wondered the same thing. I agree that she was very gracious. 

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Interesting useless fact as well :  Peyton Manning and Reese Witherspoon were born 2 days apart in the same hospital. 

Dr. Toothbrush was born at the same hospital, but 9 years before Peyton & Reese. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I guess Elisabeth either teaches on-line or at night when her hubby is home. I wondered the same thing. I agree that she was very gracious. 

I thought they said she taught on-line classes.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Roaster said:

Sofia Coppola has a new movie out.  Is that why they chose this FJ?

That would make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. 

3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I thought they said adjunct, but perhaps I mis-heard.

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I thought they said she taught on-line classes.

You are both partially right. Johnny Gilbert: A stay-at-home mom and on-line adjunct instructor from Pleasant Grove, Utah: Elisabeth Larsen. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4