Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, illdoc said:

Author...1920's....of course it's Fitzgerald! Don't know who that was that the (former) champ guessed, but doesn't he know J! rarely thinks "outside the box". There is a regular group of authors they use and don't often stray from them. 

It's either Fitzgerald or Hemingway, and a Princeton literary magazine doesn't sound like Hemingway's scene

15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were Adam & Eve (missed DD) & blazes. I just knew the Stan category was going to be about my nemesis, geography. I easily got Pakistan, and guessed Uzbekistan  since it was the only one I could think of that starts with U. Dr. Toothbrush really wanted Trebekistan to be an answer!

For some stupid reason, I always guess Afghanistan instead of Pakistan when K2 questions come up, despite actually reading a lot about K2.  But I did get the rest of the 'stans correct.  Don't know why I got Turkmenistan, though.

• Love 3

I was thrilled at having guessed FJ correctly! I did think of Russell Crowe immediately (Nash - A Beautiful Mind), but then dismissed Crowe as too old.

Leonardo DiCaprio didn't even occur to me.

• Love 2

I am so glad I checked the guide because golf is on FOX and Jeopardy! was an hour later on some other station.

I knew Leo was wrong because I love him and know how old he is, and also "The Revenant" was certainly not in the 40's, but I would not have come up with Eddie Redmayne in one million trillion years.  I know who he is, but he's no megastar who I would remember.

• Love 4

Now that was a good game!  Congrats to Debb and Phil was impressive, too.  Poor Jacob suffered from "I'm behind so I'll ring in and wildly guess even though I don't have a clue" syndrome.

It was nice there were very few TS.  The only one I got was muckraker (missed DD).  

I guessed DiCaprio for FJ, too.  I don't even know what movie I was thinking of.  I also thought he might be too old, but he's got one of those baby faces (like Melissa Gilbert) so he always appears to be perpetually 20 years old and too young for many of his roles.

• Love 5

I sure didn't expect Phil to be a one and done but Debb was a BEAST! I'm really happy for her.

I got the muckraker DD FJ was an instaget because as soon as that film came out, Eddie Redmayne was deemed a lock for the Oscar. He narrowly escaped my Irrational Hate List because he was so personable and intelligent in interviews. Plus he's a pretty sharp dresser :-)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Fex said:

In the similes category, I was starting to feel all superior when I got two TS in a row (blazes and life), but then had my ego checked when I had never even heard of the last one! Ha! I can't remember it now. It was a place name? 

I think it was "like bringing coals to Newcastle"--bringing something to a place that it already has plenty of.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Do they make sure no two contestants with the same first name play each other? 

Yes, when they can. This is easy for regular play, and in tournaments players with the same name will be in separate games for as long as possible. There were two Rachels in a teen tournament. One went by her nickname ("Steve") when they met in the finals.

• Love 2

Great game! Go Debb! I will miss Phil though. Poor alliterative Jacob was never able to hit his groove. 

The only TS I got was muckraker, and I would have never guessed FJ.

4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

In nine letter words, wonder if "permanent" would have been accepted instead of "indelible" for ink that won't wash off?

Dr. Toothbrush said permanent, and I think it would have been accepted. 

• Love 1

I said permanent, as well.  I got Eddie Redmayne before AT finished reading the clue. I'm not sure why.

I got muckraker and then I had second thoughts - I thought "muckraker" came from The Jungle (Upton Sinclair, not Sinclair Lewis,) certainly not Pilgrim's Progress!  Learn something every day, doncha' know.

• Love 2

Apparently, I'm the only one here who thought DiCaprio was 10 years younger.   Good gracious, he looks good!   Never heard of Redmayne, but if I ever made it onto Jeopardy!, I'd have topics which i know nothing about: opera (other than La Boheme, Porgy and Bess, or Aida), astronomy beyond the seventh grade, Oscars/Tonys/AwardsCelebritiesVoteThemselves, or Tonight's Megamillions numbers as categories --- guaranteed!

• Love 1

The angel in the clue said "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people," right? That's definitely Luke 2

When I hear those words, I think of Linus saying them in "A Charlie Brown Christmas", and it was definitely to the shepherds guarding their flocks by night! Which confused me since, as others have pointed out, the category was about pairs, so I was totally confused. I think J! just flat out got it wrong. 

I've never heard of Eddie Redmayne. I couldn't even come up with a guess, but I knew Leonardo was too old, and Crowe WAY too old. As am I, apparently...

• Love 4

Leo was on Growing Pains in the eighties, so certainly wasn't born in the eighties. I am old too! Couldn't think of any actor recently who was in his thirties playing a real person, so I was stumped.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Leo was on Growing Pains in the eighties, so certainly wasn't born in the eighties. 

Ashley Johnson was born in the '80s and on Growing Pains :)

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

Not a fan of wizarding world of JK Rowling? :-) He was also in Jupiter Ascending but that movie was crap lol

He was also in Les Miserables, The Danish Girl and The Theory of Everything - which is the movie that FJ was referring to. Those are all quite well-known movies.

• Love 1

Well, the answers for FJ were .... interesting.  I knew it was either "Immortal Beloved" or "For Elysse" (which I could have sworn was its name), which could possibly be the same pieces as far as I know. But "Clare de Lune"? "Moonlight Sonata"? Also got some TS (that I can't recall at the moment) that should not have been TS!!! 

• Love 3

I was rather shocked that two people missed FJ.  I had it before Alex finished reading the clue (though I did not put the umlaut over the u in Fur), and I'm not a huge classical music aficionado. 

And I was terribly shocked that no one got Dan Quayle!  Not only that, but to guess Johnson?  Neither one of them was from Indiana!  If the (now) former champ remembers the 70s, she ought to remember when Quayle was veep.

I probably would have pronounced Gerry's name like gerrymander, instead of with a hard G like Alex did.  Can't believe no one even tried for that one.  The clue made it obvious to me who they were going for.

I also got Mattel and Hasbro.

• Love 7

That "The Cosmo Girl's Guide to the New Etiquette" from the '70s was such a horrible category, and "tramp stamp" being an answer also bothered me. Really, Jeopardy?

• Love 14
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had it before Alex finished reading the clue (though I did not put the umlaut over the u in Fur), and I'm not a huge classical music aficionado. 

Having taken some introductory piano lessons, I got "Fur Elise" early too. Two women whose names could have nicknames of Elise. I didn't remember the umlaut either despite seeing the sheet music multiple times. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, dcalley said:

That "The Cosmo Girl's Guide to the New Etiquette" from the '70s was such a horrible category, and "tramp stamp" being an answer also bothered me. Really, Jeopardy?

I was coming here to say the exact same thing.  Horrific on both accounts.

By the end of the show I hated everyone because their wrong answers were SO wrong they were offending me.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, dcalley said:

That was the worst category I've seen since "What Women Want." Jesus Christ, Jeopardy. It's 2017. Cut it out. And, yes, the "tramp stamp" answer didn't help matters.

I got Dan Quayle, which surprised me as a TS. Idiot VP from Indiana? Dan Quayle.  I marched in front of him at the Indy 500 when I was in Army AIT at Fort Harrison. That, for me, was scarier than going to Iraq. I was worried we'd get run over.

I also got Mattel and Hasbro and Fantastic Four.

In my need to dislike something about a contestant in almost every episode, what the heck was Peter looking at every time he responded? Is that where the scoreboard is? It reminded me of the late great Mitch Hedberg's bit about a picture in which the whole family is looking off to the side. What the heck are they looking it?

One thing I did like was that they started at the tops of the categories, which is always nice for me,

I didn't get FJ. There's not shame in my game; I really dislike classical music and honestly didn't even try to guess. I've heard of Fur Elise,  but it's just one of those categories I'd bet $0 in, regardless of the game situation.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh.  Peter "uh, okay" is insufferable.  Boo hiss.  What the hell happened to Debb?

I got Dan Quayle, Gerry (didn't know his first name, though.  Kit?), and The Executioner's Song.

This just isn't my week for FJ.  Clueless again.  

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6
(edited)

Mr. Pallida wasn't fully paying attention and didn't realize the "itchy palm" clue was in the superstition category. Made me laugh. ETA: And I managed to forget the punchline. He said "greased palm."

Edited by Pallida
Forgot the important detail.
  • Love 2

I like Debb, but it was obvious from some of her answers that she did not comprehend the clues in full in her haste to ring in first. Has Solo dying in Return of the Jedi? Really? But I was impressed that she got the Jessica Biel DD correct. 

New champ is OK, except he holds the signaling device like the Statue of Liberty holds her torch. I liked how happy he was to win. 

TS I got were Dan Quayle, Gerry (I also have always pronounced with a hard g sound), Mattel & Hasbro, and Fantastic Four. 

4 hours ago, dcalley said:

I was definitely taken aback at both. And glad that 1971 was before my time. We've come a long way, baby. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

Apparently, I'm the only one here who thought DiCaprio was 10 years younger.   Good gracious, he looks good!   Never

He really doesn't. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I like Debb, but it was obvious from some of her answers that she did not comprehend the clues in full in her haste to ring in first. Has Solo dying in Return of the Jedi? Really?

OMG, I forgot that boneheaded guess! After that, I was glad she lost.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But I was impressed that she got the Jessica Biel DD correct. 

I liked that question. At first glance to me it was "huh?", but if someone knows their pop culture it was actually easy. (It did come to me in time :) )

• Love 3
17 hours ago, teebax said:

That was the worst category I've seen since "What Women Want." Jesus Christ, Jeopardy. It's 2017. Cut it out. And, yes, the "tramp stamp" answer didn't help matters.

I honestly expected a "WOMEN ______" category to come up in either the next round or Final Jeopardy for the sexist bullshit hat trick.

• Love 4

Leonardo Dicaprio and Russell Crowe, born in the 80s? Horrible guesses. Maybe it's because I was born in '82 but I was like o_O They are handsome guys (I guess, I'm more of a Matt Damon woman) but clearly are not mid-30s or younger.

• Love 1

Finally I'm able to look at the thread here. Because of the NBA playoffs, Jeopardy has been airing a day behind, so I didn't want to read answers here before I had a chance to answer them myself first.

On 6/14/2017 at 8:07 PM, GreekGeek said:

Arnold J. Toynbee

Impressive that Tucker knew the name, but a Goofy Guess in that he did not go to Princeton and did not write novels. 

I didn't know that was a famous person. I thought Tucker didn't know the answer and was just writing the name of a friend.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, dcalley said:

That "The Cosmo Girl's Guide to the New Etiquette" from the '70s was such a horrible category

I thought it was pretty funny. It was like looking at old advertisements and laughing at the sexism. 

Thruout the week I had some boo-boo's, like saying ganglia instead of ganglion, mudraker instead of muckraker, and The Executioner instead of The Executioner's Song. I also said Mike Pence instead of Dan Quayle. At least they're both from Indiana.

Seems everything I know about Roman emperors I learned from I Claudius. Oh, and whenever I hear Sejanus, I immediately picture Patrick Stewart looking disgusted in the scene with Tiberius.

For FJ tonight (which was Friday's), I first thought Moonlight Sonata then switched to Claire de Lune, or as Victor Borge called it, Clear the Room. 

• Love 7

Peter kind of grates my nerves but I did like his genuine reaction to winning. I fully expected Alex to launch into a diatribe of the rules when Peter wanted to risk $2K for the DD in the Jeopardy round. Thankfully he showed unusual restraint.

For TS I got Mattel & Hasbro and The Executioner's Song (a great read). FJ was an instaget but I did question myself because neither woman's name seemed to be related to Elise. Maybe the judges were trying to make a common reference a little trickier.

Seems everything I know about Roman emperors I learned from I Claudius. Oh, and whenever I hear Sejanus, I immediately picture Patrick Stewart looking disgusted in the scene with Tiberius.

All kinds of yes to this! And Stewart had hair then too LOL

• Love 4
On 6/17/2017 at 8:22 AM, Browncoat said:

OMG, I forgot that boneheaded guess! After that, I was glad she lost.

I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since the first one - when it came out - and I got the right answer and couldn't believe what an idiot guess that was! What an awful game with two players deep in negatives with really ridiculous guesses - honestly, Johnson?!

• Love 1

Well, Alex, I knew the answer was referring to Beethoven but that didn't help me get the answer. 

And I was terribly shocked that no one got Dan Quayle!  Not only that, but to guess Johnson?  Neither one of them was from Indiana!  If the (now) former champ remembers the 70s, she ought to remember when Quayle was veep.

And, if they were going to randomly guess VPs, at least guess Pence. 

• Love 2

That was such a bad game today. I don't think we've ever had such low scores from all 3 players going into FJ!!!  I can't believe all the easy TS. How could he not have said "Casbah" (missed DD)? "Come with me to the Casbah" is a well-known phrase, isn't it? The fact that 2 people couldn't figure out B   E   D was "bed spread" ($200 clue)? There were quite a number that I'm just shaking my head at. For FJ, "TWA"? Doesn't it stand for "Trans World Airlines"? Did he just decide to pick some old airline? To me, "Dallas" was the main point (think of an airline that might be based in Dallas). Even "Southwest" (champ's crossed out answer) was better!

• Love 14

Wow, that was terrible.

When they all failed at bedspread, I was worried the game would turn out like this. It was one of the worst games in a while. I had second-hand embarrassment for them while watching. On top of the quality of the playing, all of the contestants annoyed me.

I lost track of all of the TS on there. Jet stream was one that really surprised me though.

I said Southwest for FJ, but as soon as Alex made his comment about the Mississippi delta I clued in to the right answer.

I couldn't name a single city on the Mississippi delta, so I had no hope of recognizing that pattern.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, illdoc said:

To me, "Dallas" was the main point (think of an airline that might be based in Dallas).

Actually, Delta wasn't based in Dallas. They were based in Louisiana, in the Mississippi Delta region, which is where their name comes from.  The main point of the clue was the cities the flight flew to from Dallas.

• Love 4

Worst. Game. Ever.  Between Barbara's rambling, never ending story (the basis was cool, but damn, it went on forever), Peter's dumb ass guesses and incorrect phrasing, and Jeremy's swaying, I could barely watch. 

So many TS, most of which should have been gimmes -- FBI, flint, English, Casbah, fog, storm surge, jet stream and cyclone were some I remember getting.  I think I got tired of writing them down after a while.

American wasn't a completely stupid guess for FJ -- I thought of it because  Dallas is a hub for them, after all.  Delta was not an instaget.  No idea where TWA came from. 

• Love 10

Yikes!  I wish all of the contestants could have lost so we could start over with a fresh bunch tomorrow.  Yet, despite his magnificent screwups (I cheered when he smugly said, "That would be..." instead of "What is..." and was ruled incorrect for his DD), Peter the Incredibly Annoying still managed to squeak out a win.

I got FBI (missed DD), flint (saltpeter - WTF!?), Casbah (missed DD and another WTF!?), Yardbird, fog, jet stream, and cyclone.  I think there were others, but I didn't take shorthand in school and was trying to write them down whilst eating pizza and drinking a beer.

FJ was an instaget.  Yay!  At least these dummkopfs made me feel like a genius today.

• Love 11

Games like this really make me angry that I haven't been called for the show. 

I got Mayweather,  thr FBI daily double, flint, English, chicken dance,  and jet stream. I got fj by realizing it was three cities and remembering Delta's logo. I didn't even consider the Mississippi delta part, which is cool to know now.

Peter was crazy nervous and screaming.  Jeremy over-enunciated everything.  Barbara just annoyed me. Worst game in a long time. 

• Love 11