Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

If they chose that FJ because she has a new movie out, it would be because it's a Sony picture and they'd have had an entire category with Sofia herself reading the clues.

When I saw the category "Oscar Winners," I thought, "It's a man, or they'd have said "Women Oscar Winners" - so I guess they don't do that ALL the time. LOL.

I thought her pronunciation of chili rellenos had too much of a rolled r, making it sound like "tray yenos" - maybe that's how they pronounce Spanish in Utah. <shrug> I thought it required her to repeat it, it was so weird.

Hey, Pat...you still suck. He kept stumbling over answers and then saying them again correctly before AT could rule him incorrect. It was maddening. I'm SO glad he's gone.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

It was an infant...and a boy, at that...

Sofia coppola is a girl that played a boy.

If you didn't know exactly how old Reese Witherspoon is though or what year she was born, it kind of works.  Maybe he thought she was older.  She was at least in the general age range for it to work.  More likely he just didn't know and was just guessing a female of the age range in question that had won an Oscar.

But its the wrong heritage for the roll.   

• Love 1

Unbelievable that two contestants who did so well during the game missed that simple FJ. Now we're stuck with that grinning fool Brandon. What's with the perpetual creepy grin? And we don't get cheese from cows, we get milk from cows, from which cheese can be made. It's not like cows fart out bricks of cheese, Brandon. 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Still, what a bad guess.  That and Marisa Tomei as well. 

I guessed Marisa, too.   She's Italian and, oddly, she won an Oscar.  I googled her age and was shocked that she was 8 years older than I would have pegged her.  I hate Oscar questions.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

I thought that "Sofia Coppola was the baby in Godfather" was common knowledge. Silly me! 

I thought of her first, but couldn't think of anything for which she might've won an Oscar.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought of her first, but couldn't think of anything for which she might've won an Oscar.

FYI -- Sophia Coppola won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for 'Lost in Translation' in 2003.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

FYI -- Sophia Coppola won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for 'Lost in Translation' in 2003.

I did not know that.  I watch the Oscars every year, but some things stick in my brain better, and I never had any interest in that particular movie so I guess it didn't stick.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If they chose that FJ because she has a new movie out, it would be because it's a Sony picture and they'd have had an entire category with Sofia herself reading the clues.

When I saw the category "Oscar Winners," I thought, "It's a man, or they'd have said "Women Oscar Winners" - so I guess they don't do that ALL the time. LOL.

I thought her pronunciation of chili rellenos had too much of a rolled r, making it sound like "tray yenos" - maybe that's how they pronounce Spanish in Utah. <shrug> I thought it required her to repeat it, it was so weird.

Hey, Pat...you still suck. He kept stumbling over answers and then saying them again correctly before AT could rule him incorrect. It was maddening. I'm SO glad he's gone.

Ha my father and I had a long text debate about how she pronounced rellenos. He thought she said it with a t at first. I think both of us rewatched at least 6 times each analyzing the pronunciation. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

Ha my father and I had a long text debate about how she pronounced rellenos. He thought she said it with a t at first. I think both of us rewatched at least 6 times each analyzing the pronunciation. 

I could have sworn she pronounced rellenos with a t and figured I had been wrong about the translation of stuffed peppers all these years.

Did not get FJ.  Whatever remark Alex made at the end of the think music led me to a Coppolla daughter but I couldn't remember her first name; I was pretty sure I remembered that she got an Oscar for something.

• Love 2

Since when is 'colder' a synonym for cold?! Or "biting" - that can describe cold but it's not a synonym for cold.

Took a wild guess for FJ and came up with the right answer.

• Love 5

Ok so they didn't know cloud storage, which is new, or Roger Corman, who is old.  Come ON, kids.

Also reggae? No one?  Never heard of it?

Great Barrier Reef as a DD was ridiculous.

I was wondering if they thought people would get tripped up with 404, even if it didn't make sense. Because I did.

• Love 8

FFS !! It's not Chilly the Penguin.  It's Chilly Willy.  She should have been rulled incorrect. That was such a gift by AT.
And it's certainly not Chilly Carson the Penguin. </sarcasm>

That TS about the building named after Buddha's mother was just odd -- I thought they were going for the specific name, and had no clue about that.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were point spread & Odd Fellows. FJ was an instaget. Reese Witherspoon, as mentioned upthread was born 4 years after the movie came out, and Marisa Tomei was born a full 8 years after the movie was released!  

While she may look 37, Marisa Tomei is actually 52 and would have been 8 at the time The Godfather was released.

It sounded to me as if Brandon said "White Men Can Jump" not the correct Can't.  

• Love 1

I also thought they were going for the specific name of Buddha's mother and I had no idea at all. I would've gotten FJ wrong because, while I knew what book was meant, I couldn't remember the number.  I said "951" Doh.  I thought he ruled "Chilly " right because they only wanted the first name?

• Love 4

I can't wait for Blinking Brandon the Guinea Pig Eater to lose.  Although I realize it is an acceptable meat dish in some countries, his telling of the tale was creepy.  I was rooting for Heather of the Unfortunate Wig.  Shannon made me nervous.

I got sub zero, cloud, Trinity College, lava tubes, the Stone of Scone, and Robert the Bruce (William Wallace wasn't the king of Scotland, Alex).

FJ was an instaget.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

FFS !! It's not Chilly the Penguin.  It's Chilly Willy.  She should have been rulled incorrect. That was such a gift by AT.
And it's certainly not Chilly Carson the Penguin. </sarcasm>

That TS about the building named after Buddha's mother was just odd -- I thought they were going for the specific name, and had no clue about that.

They asked for the first name specifically, and it fit the category description, which is why just Chilly was fine. 

As for "Buddha's mom", I sarcastically thought "Mrs. Buhhda".......I guess I might have gotten a "be more specific" for that, his mom or wife. 

• Love 6

I knew cloud, Trinity College, the Hollywood 10, and the Stone of Scone. By the way, can someone explain why it's pronounced to rhyme with "moon" and not like the pastry?

I also thought the Buddha's Mom question was odd. Does she have a name in Buddhist tradition, or is she one of those nameless females like Noah's wife or Peter's mother-in-law? Also, this was the first time I'd ever heard of a "Statuor". Why wouldn't "Sculptors" be adequate as a category name?

Missed FJ. I thought of "22" for Catch-22. I knew that 1953 was too late for 1984, which was written in 1948 (see what Orwell did there?) Fahrenheit 451 didn't cross my mind. Why was 1953 so significant a hint?

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They asked for the first name specifically, and it fit the category description, which is why just Chilly was fine. 

As for "Buddha's mom", I sarcastically thought "Mrs. Buhhda".......I guess I might have gotten a "be more specific" for that, his mom or wife. 

Willy is not a synonym for cold.  Chilly is.

He's Chilly (first name) Willy (last name or possibly middle name, if his last name is "Penguin.")

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Brandon looks like he really needs a nap.  I feel like I look that way -- can barely keep my eyes open -- when I need a nap.

I have never heard of a biting midge.  Biting flies, yes, but not midges.  And I cracked up so much at Alex pronouncing "genre" that I think I missed a couple of clues.  But I did get cloud, Trinity, lava tubes, Buddha's mother, Stone of Scone, and Dundee.  I was surprised Trinity was a TS (though I was glad to see my alma mater show up in that category!), and also that my wild-ass guess of Buddha's mother was correct.  I couldn't think of a name, either.

FJ was an instaget -- one of my favorite Bradbury novels.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

@DrSpaceman73 -- you are right, the clue did say "First name of this animated star with a fondness for pancakes", but then she said 'What is Chilly the Penguin', which is way to much information.  Plus 'Chilly the Penguin' -- not his first name either.  I'll just chock this up to shitty judging and being way too lenient

• Love 2

In her defense (and I'm not proud of defending her), she did stop after saying "Chilly", but Alex hesitated in ruling her correct, so she added "the Penguin".  I blame Alex for the weird judging on that one.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

In her defense (and I'm not proud of defending her), she did stop after saying "Chilly", but Alex hesitated in ruling her correct, so she added "the Penguin".  I blame Alex for the weird judging on that one.

That is what made it even more confusing.

• Love 2

Yes, it was confusing when Alex paused after she said "Chilly," since that was the first name. I don't blame her for saying Chilly the Penguin, though I would have just said Chilly Willy.

21 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew that 1953 was too late for 1984, which was written in 1948 (see what Orwell did there?) Fahrenheit 451 didn't cross my mind. Why was 1953 so significant a hint?

I said 1984, not knowing what that book was written. If I had thought of Fahrenheit 451 I would have been torn as to which was right. BTW, what was the book that paid homage to F-451?

I got subzero, Cloud, and Dundee. I just could not recall Roger Corman's name. Instead of lava tubes I said volcanic tubes. 

• Love 2

About Guinea Pig Eater, is it correct that they ask contestants for several interesting experiences or facts about themselves, so Alex can ask about those? Eating guinea pig is an unusual experience, but some contestants might decide to list something else instead (maybe the trip to Peru itself) because some viewers would react negatively.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Driad said:

About Guinea Pig Eater, is it correct that they ask contestants for several interesting experiences or facts about themselves, so Alex can ask about those? Eating guinea pig is an unusual experience, but some contestants might decide to list something else instead (maybe the trip to Peru itself) because some viewers would react negatively.

I certainly reacted negatively.  I have cats, dog, bunnies and guinea pigs but no cows lol.

• Love 3

I saw most of tonight's episode but unfortunately couldn't hear much because of the noisy room I was in. Who throws loud & raucous parties on a Tuesday night anyhow.

I did strain to hear FJ and thought of Fahrenheit 451 right away so that was some small consolation. 

Back to (blissful) normal tomorrow. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

BIting midges cost the Yankees a playoff game against the Indians once upon a time.

Joba Chamberlain was the first thing I thought of with that clue.  I honestly don't think I'd ever heard of biting midges before that playoff game.  

• Love 2

I hate to be unkind, because unless Heather lost a bet she is wearing a wig because of hair loss. But, that was a bad wig. Poor Shannon took a while to get comfortable. Brandon reminds me of Eddie Munster, but good for him winning big for 2 days. 

TS I got were subzero, cloud, Trinity College, reggae, & Buddah's mother (said as a joke; I also figured they were looking for a name). I had no idea for FJ but Dr. Toothbrush knew it right away. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Blinking Brandon the Guinea Pig Eater 

LMAO! I was disturbed by the guinea pig eating too. 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think Brandon looks like he really needs a nap.  I feel like I look that way -- can barely keep my eyes open -- when I need a nap.

He blinks very slowly so it is noticeable when his eyes are closed. The phrase "in the blink of an eye" means something different when applied to Brandon than it does with most people. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also thought the Buddha's Mom question was odd. Does she have a name in Buddhist tradition, or is she one of those nameless females like Noah's wife or Peter's mother-in-law? Also, this was the first time I'd ever heard of a "Statuor". Why wouldn't "Sculptors" be adequate as a category name?

Missed FJ. I thought of "22" for Catch-22. I knew that 1953 was too late for 1984, which was written in 1948 (see what Orwell did there?) Fahrenheit 451 didn't cross my mind. Why was 1953 so significant a hint?

As for "Statuor," I don't think it's a real word. Neither google or dictionary.com recognize it. Sculptors should be perfectly fine. 

AT had specifically mentioned that it was the Maya Devi temple.  That's the Buddha's mother's name. 

As for 1953, I think it was so that you could eliminate 1984 (or Catch-22) as the book in question  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrScottie said:

AT had specifically mentioned that it was the Maya Devi temple.  That's the Buddha's mother's name. 

As for 1953, I think it was so that you could eliminate 1984 (or Catch-22) as the book in question  

Thanks for the info about Maya Devi.

Maybe I'm obtuse, but I don't get why 1953 would automatically make one eliminate Catch-22 unless you know specifically when the book was written. I looked it up and was surprised to see it appeared in 1961. I thought it was earlier; all I knew about the date was that it was post-WW2. For some reason I thought F451 was later, maybe because television plays such a big role and I didn't think TV was that much a part of people lives until a few years later.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I answered "Buddha's mother" because I couldn't think of a name. Imagine my surprise to find out I was right!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

@DrSpaceman73 -- you are right, the clue did say "First name of this animated star with a fondness for pancakes", but then she said 'What is Chilly the Penguin', which is way to much information.  Plus 'Chilly the Penguin' -- not his first name either.  I'll just chock this up to shitty judging and being way too lenient

I erased it.....but what I recall is She said "what is chilly?", which is the correct answer, and then alex didn't say anything, like he wasn't sure if this was enough, there was a long pause, and she added "the penguin", not sure if he was waiting for more or what he was doing.  Her initial response was correct, if alex had just told her so she wouldn't have said anything else.  She didn't need to anything else.  It was just CHilly as the answer. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was wondering if they thought people would get tripped up with 404, even if it didn't make sense. Because I did.

I work in computers and came up with 404 first, but realized that wasn't what 404 meant. Remembered Fahrenheit 451 at the last minute.

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My problem wasn't that she answered Chilly, which was right - but that Alex had his "be more specific" pause, which was unnecessary, and that he accepted it only after she added Penguin - which was obvious since there was a drawing of a cartoon Penguin for goodness sake.

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Because 451 was inspired at least partly by the McCarthy hearings.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said 1984, not knowing what that book was written. If I had thought of Fahrenheit 451 I would have been torn as to which was right. BTW, what was the book that paid homage to F-451?

Are you thinking of Joe Hill's The Fireman? 

• Love 2
(edited)

About Guinea Pig Eater, is it correct that they ask contestants for several interesting experiences or facts about themselves, so Alex can ask about those?

Yep!  At least in the old days of 2004, I had to come up with 10 "interesting" stories about myself.  They used the top five as potential stories and they are written on the card Alex is holding.  He is supposed to ask about #1 (since you practice saying that story before you tape) but he can ask about any of them. 

I even thought this before I knew he was from Utah but Guinea Pig Eater really makes me think he would be perfect member of The Book of Mormon.  But that's because he very very vaguely reminded me of Andrew Rannells at first.  

I said 1984, not knowing what that book was written

Here's a fun fact - he actually wrote 1984 in 1948.  He got the title I believe from just reversing the numbers.  But it was published in 1949.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Blinking Brandon the Guinea Pig Eater

Well, they don't emit blocks of cheese like cows do, so what else are they good for?

I really shouldn't watch this show so soon after waking up. On the "tubes" clue, I somehow got pneumatic tubes stuck in my head, and then missed the next few questions imagining this steampunk-y island covered in them. 

At least they wrote the Sorbonne clue in French, so we were able to bask in the glory of The Accent. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I just meant what book the clue was referring to. I don't think they said, or I just missed it.

The book they referred to was Fahrenheit 451.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scott said:

Well, they don't emit blocks of cheese like cows do, so what else are they good for?

I really shouldn't watch this show so soon after waking up. On the "tubes" clue, I somehow got pneumatic tubes stuck in my head, and then missed the next few questions imagining this steampunk-y island covered in them. 

At least they wrote the Sorbonne clue in French, so we were able to bask in the glory of The Accent. 

Your whole post cracked me up.  ;-)

I love the idea of a steampunk island covered in pneumatic tubes whisking people and things to and fro.  Actually, I just like that you know what a pneumatic tube is.  I remember them in department stores when you paid for your purchases.  Yes, I'm old.

We also got to "bask in the glory of The Accent" when he announced the Genre category.  One of these days he's going to give himself a hernia or pop a blood vessel saying it.

• Love 3

I figured out FJ by knowing that status codes (had to look that name up) for HTTP are 3 digits long, and I started trying to list out codes I know - but my brain went 4-0-OH-451 is three digits and a book reference!

Being a cultural anthropologist, the eating of cuy doesn't phase me. I don't like eating meat on bones, so I probably wouldn't like it - just like I don't like eating quail or game hen. It's a good source of animal protein, especially in areas where there really isn't space to have what Americans consider typical livestock (plus it's a traditional food). 

Random tidbit I saw today that made me think of all of you: June 28, 1846. A US. military detachment near San Rafael, fresh from the Bear Flag revolt to liberate California, was approached by three unarmed Mexicans, Jose de los Reyes Berryessa and brothers Francisco and Ramon de Haro. Kit Carson reportedly asked Captain John Fremont if he should take them prisoners. Fremont answered that he had no room for prisoners so Carson shot them dead and left their bodies where they fell. http://ThisWeekinCaliforniaHistory.com

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have never heard of a biting midge.  Biting flies, yes, but not midges.  And I cracked up so much at Alex pronouncing "genre" that I think I missed a couple of clues.  But I did get cloud, Trinity, lava tubes, Buddha's mother, Stone of Scone, and Dundee.  I was surprised Trinity was a TS (though I was glad to see my alma mater show up in that category!), and also that my wild-ass guess of Buddha's mother was correct.  I couldn't think of a name, either.

FJ was an instaget -- one of my favorite Bradbury novels.

I haven't heard of biting midges either, but I guessed that anyway.  I got the same stumpers you did.

Man, I really wish Brandon would've lost.  All I can see when I look at him is "cast member of a bad local theater production of the Book of Mormon only gay".

• Love 3