Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I found the To Sir with Love TS rather baffling -- "Teaching in London's East End inspired E.R. Braithwaite to write this 1959 book, later a Sidney Poitier film" ...... and .......... it had to contain the word 'love' in the title.  

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought of the McDonnell Douglas DC-10, the planes National Airlines used ("I'm Dorothy; Fly me!") instead of the 747. I thought Boeing was in the NW; not sure *where* the DC-10s were made, but figured them for Dallas. (That was the city in the clue, wasn't it?)

Actually, it was Dulles International Airport, which is near D.C., but even that didn't help me as I whiffed on FJ -- I guessed the Concorde since it did actually fly into Dulles in the 70s, but not that early.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Long Beach, California.  The clue said Dulles International Airport, near Washington, DC.

Dallas, Dulles, Duh.  I'm still groggy from coming back from vacation. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the clarification!

• Love 6

I guessed the Concorde.  Except that wasn't made in the US.  But it did fly first around that time, in 1969, and it did go to Dulles 

I knew Air Force One was wrong.  Goes back much further than 1970.  And it was too soon for the space shuttle

Annoying though when Alex derisively stated we don't christen Space shuttle.  I don't know anyone christens planes, especially first ladies.  I had never heard of that before. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Annoying though when Alex derisively stated we don't christen Space shuttle

The woman guessed satellites, not space shuttle, which aren't even transportation, and definitely aren't christened. 

Jon lost me with his very first pick, though I laughed, too.  But then I rolled my eyes when he didn't even bother to wager the maximum amount.  And then Trevor did the same damn thing in DJ!  But at least he made a good wager.

When the Third Party Candidate category was announced, I shouted "Ross Perot!" and was glad to see that he was the answer to one of the clues.  It was a little surprising that no one got it, though.  As third party candidates go, he was one of the more memorable.  I could barely remember the ones from last year.

To Sir, With Love was a very surprising TS!  It's the first movie I think of when I think of Sidney Poitier.  I also got X, and was a little surprised they all missed that, too.

But I was torn between the 747 and Air Force One for FJ, and chose incorrectly.  The Concorde briefly entered my mind, but I thought 1970 was too early for that.  I didn't really care who won, though, since both the contenders kept annoying me by starting in the middles of categories.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But then I rolled my eyes when he didn't even bother to wager the maximum amount.

I know, right? If there's any time to do that with little risk - it's when it's the first clue of the show. Even I, a betting moron, know that. 

As for To Sir with Love, I'd forgotten the category - so I went with Blackboard Jungle, with a much younger Sidney Poitier. Sigh... It's not like To Sir With Love wasn't my first pre-teen movie where I developed a serious crush on an actor or anything...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

When the Third Party Candidate category was announced, I shouted "Ross Perot!" and was glad to see that he was the answer to one of the clues.  It was a little surprising that no one got it, though.  As third party candidates go, he was one of the more memorable.  I could barely remember the ones from last year.

I too immediately thought Ross Perot at the very start. I could not come up with Jill Stein's name. Maybe I'm deliberately trying to forget her.

To Sir, With Love was a very surprising TS!  It's the first movie I think of when I think of Sidney Poitier. 

And that song! *sigh*

• Love 10

I got FJ which was also a TS. (Category was Classic Children's literature) Seriously shocked!  And it was so easy. I thought they would be looking for the author. (It was the way they phrased the question but then the category would  women children's literature authors. ) 

• Love 5

I did not get FJ -- I'm not sure I've ever read it (or had it read to me), so I came up with nothing.  However, I have read Great Expectations, and got that TS.  I also knew projection and forgetting, and in a wild-ass guess, got Yellow River.

I am beyond ready for Jon to lose.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The woman guessed satellites, not space shuttle, which aren't even transportation, and definitely aren't christened. 

You're right, she said satellite, but the same applies.  I had no idea planes were christended, especially commercial planes and by the first lady

• Love 1

My husband was so gobsmacked that FJ was a TS. "How do they not know Goodnight Moon?!" I had to remind him that he has to read that book to a toddler on a regular basis, while these dudes probably don't ;)

• Love 7
(edited)

I was annoyed with all of them tonight with the starting in the middle of categories and DD hunting.

I got Great Expectations, fingerboard (thank you, 8 years of violin lessons), Yellow River (wild ass guess), forgetting, and Brenda Lee.

For FJ, I was clueless.  I've heard of that book ad nauseam but I've never had a reason to read it.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6
(edited)

Great Expectations still surprises me as a TS.  I mean, I know that just because you're a writer that doesn't mean you've read every classic ever, but still.  That clue was a gimme.

I didn't know FJ.  The Green Room to me means surfing.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

I got FJ which was also a TS. (Category was Classic Children's literature) Seriously shocked!  And it was so easy. I thought they would be looking for the author. (It was the way they phrased the question but then the category would  women children's literature authors. ) 

Yes, at first I thought they were asking for the author. I thought "Brown. Will that be enough?" Then I saw they wanted the title. Easy peasy. Goodnight Moon. And the author's full name came to me. I love her books. One of my favorites of hers (partly because of the illustrations) is The Big Red Barn.

I got Great Expectations – Come on. Pip? That's a mighty big clue -- and coxswain, though I thought that was pronounced like it looks: cox-swain. Ya learn something new...

I was going to say Yellow River but because I've gone with that before and was wrong, instead I went with Yangtze.

I just couldn't come up with Red Barber's name. I was all "Red… Red… Red... not Adair…."

• Love 4

Robert should not have been credited for his answer of "Tarzan." Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote 24 Tarzan books, with the first in the series titled Tarzan of the Apes (and not just Tarzan). Presumably this first book was the one the clue was referencing, but a BMS would have been in order.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Great Expectations still surprises me as a TS.  I mean, I know that just because you're a writer that doesn't mean you've read every classic ever, but still.  That clue was a gimme.

I always, always, mix up Great Expectations and David Copperfield. Which is what I did this time. (at least that's understandable - I also tend to mix up Jackson Pollock and Alexander Calder for no known reason - but I'm getting over that, thanks to Jeopardy).

• Love 2

When, going into FJ, the leader has more than twice as much money as #2, Alex often says that #1 "cannot be caught." But haven't there been games in which #1 bets too much and either lost or could have lost?

• Love 3

Deja vu with Jon getting the DD on the very first clue chosen. Same clue value, and same wimpy wager. And then he just stood there, and at first forgot to phrase the answer in the form of a question. I knew then it was going to be a painful game. The guys played fine, but all 3 were so low energy, took forever to pick clues, and started in the middle of categories in DJ. 

TS I got were Great Expectations, Yellow River, face blindness (missed DD), Brenda Lee. FJ was an instaget for me. 

2 minutes ago, Driad said:

When, going into FJ, the leader has more than twice as much money as #2, Alex often says that #1 "cannot be caught." But haven't there been games in which #1 bets too much and either lost or could have lost?

Cliff Clavin comes to mind :-) I would hope that a contestant with more than double their closest competitor would be mindful to not wager an amount that could make losing a possibility, but you never know. 

• Love 6

Monday I got the Yonkers DD and the To Sir With Love TS -- the scene where Sir dances with Pam is one of my favorite movie moments. For FJ I was originally thinking the space shuttle but then I went with the Concorde.

I laughed when Jon got the DD with the first clue he picked. That's what you get for starting in the middle of the category. 

Same here. Why is he hunting for the DD on the first clue anyway?? I decided I can't stand him.

I missed today's ep because of 4th of July, so I'll have to check my DVR...

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You're right, she said satellite, but the same applies.  I had no idea planes were christended, especially commercial planes and by the first lady

Most aren't, but the 747 was special.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jon's FJ wager was weird because it didn't give him either an even amount to end the day with, or an even three day total.  And since I have OCD for that stuff, it upset me. 

If I ever do make it on Jeopardy! and get a DD the wagering is what is going to trip me up.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Should have known it, but didn't think of Goodnight Moon for FJ.  Haven't read the book in a long time. 

Surprised as well no one got Great expectations.  Or at least take a guess with a Dickens book. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Last night's FJ "Goodnight, Moon" answer reminded me of my favorite "The Wire" episode.  The lady cop (can't rememer character name) is reading to her baby, sitting on the winow ledge:  "Goodnight  popo, goodnight drugdealers, goodnight thieves, ....

HA! Thanks for reminding me.

FJ made me realize again how lucky all of you are who are no more than 60ish.  I came along too early to get all those wonderful children's books like Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, etc.  However I do have wonderful memories of  the trip to the library every Saturday with my father to load up for the week.

I'm 58. I did have Dr Seuss growing up, but other children's books I was introduced to because of my son and because I volunteered in a couple of his school libraries. Since my son is mentally challenged, I'm much more familiar with picture books than young teens'.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

Robert should not have been credited for his answer of "Tarzan." Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote 24 Tarzan books, with the first in the series titled Tarzan of the Apes (and not just Tarzan). Presumably this first book was the one the clue was referencing, but a BMS would have been in order.

I agree and was surprised he wasn't told to bms.

My ts's were Great Expectations, Brenda Lee and coxswain.

I thought I would run the songs of the 1960's but I did not, although I got most of them.

Re FJ, even though I've read Goodnight Moon within the last couple of years, I saw "Great Green Room" and immediately said The Wizard of Oz.

I, too, am ready for Jon to leave any time.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, M. Darcy said:

I admit - I thought of Air Force One.  Which just looking up info on Air Force One is not a smart answer :-) 

I knew the diabetes answer -  MTM was very open about her diabetes and did a lot to help others. 

I said 747, then switched to Air Force One.  I'm gonna say I was right anyway. ;-)

19 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm aware of Goodnight, Moon, but have never read it, and would never have guessed it in a million years.  So I'm not at all surprised that no one got that one right.

Edited by proserpina65
Because '474' isn't a plane (that I know of)
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

just couldn't come up with Red Barber's name. I was all "Red… Red… Red... not Adair…."

Mine was "Red something, not Auerbach, something else".

I'm ready for Jon to leave.  He bugs me for some reason, not just the DD hunting.  Maybe he's too low-key?

16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I always, always, mix up Great Expectations and David Copperfield. Which is what I did this time. (at least that's understandable - I also tend to mix up Jackson Pollock and Alexander Calder for no known reason - but I'm getting over that, thanks to Jeopardy).

At least you knew it was Dickens.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, dcalley said:

One of the contestants got coxswain.

Oh, then I only got two ts's:( Bummer.

Now I remember that someone got it, because they pronounced it right and it's one of those words that might easily be mispronounced.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
(edited)

The category Stupid Answers needs to be banned.  I effing hate it.

I said The Wizard of Oz.  Never read Goodnight Moon.

Wonder what would happen if a contestant gave the original title of Christie's classic?  Has the book title legally been changed?

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 5

I know I'm a little late but I would just like to comment on Monday's episode (I was on Vacay and I'm catching up on DVR).

Alex's comments to Emily:  She guessed the correct winners from the Oscars a few years back (and probably not even all of them, just the "important" 5 or 6 categories)

and she won MOVIE TICKETS FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

Boy, I wish I was involved in that contest.

I swear I've got the right people and movie right at least 5 or 6 times in the past 30 years; too bad there are no contests like that where I live.

• Love 5

I thought of she sells seashells by the seashore but had no clue what country they needed.

I realized why Jon bugs me.  He's SO deliberate it's almost catatonic.  He makes me sleepy.

• Love 6

I thought Sebastian resembled Jason Bateman. 

Dammit, Chloe, I was rooting for you!  Sebastian annoyed with the leaning, and Jon, well, is Jon.  And can't anyone start at the tops of the categories anymore??? 

FJ was an instaget for me.  I also managed to get Calgary, a surprising TS, Swee' Pea, Scott Turow, James VI, and pop.  They must have forgotten the category for pop, otherwise I don't see how they all missed that one.

I can't believe Jon's only been on for four days.  It seems like it's been weeks.

• Love 8

This game might have been easier for them if they'd started at the top of the categories.  Good lord that was not fun.

My TS gets were Calgary, means, chablis, Swee Pea, Turow, Shutter Island, pop, Robert Baden-Powell. I also got FJ immediately. 

I have never heard it called the "Hundred Year War." I learned it as "Hundred Years' War." Also kodiak bear is not an island off of Alaska, which is what the clue requested. I wish they'd tighten up the judging. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm ready for Jon to leave, too.  He sure was pissy acting when he was behind (in other words, most of the game).  Sebastian started his interview with "so" and both guys were starting in the middle or end of categories.  Which leaves Chloë, for whom I was rooting mightily.  Boo hiss that she lost.

I got Calgary, means (now I have King of the Road playing in my head), Chablis, Jim Bowie, Sweet Pea, Splendor in the Grass, Scott Turow, 1977 (missed DD), and pop.  Whew!

I had to think a bit but got FJ in plenty of time.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 7

The category Stupid Answers needs to be banned.  I effing hate it.

Oh I love it. It's a category any contestant should be able to dominate but they always overthink it.

I dismissed Sebastian as a poser as soon as he was introduced as "an independent filmmaker from Los Angeles". Yeah you and every other convertible-driving, iPhone video shooting bro in that city.

For TS I got means, Swee pea, Splendor in the Grass, and Scott Turow, and the Shutter Island DD. It took me a sec to get to Seychelles because Zanzibar popped in my head but I didn't think it was particularly tongue twistery. Once I went the other way -- getting the tongue twister first -- I was like oh Seychelles! 

Too bad Chloe couldn't hold off Jon.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Oh I love it. It's a category any contestant should be able to dominate but they always overthink it.

I dismissed Sebastian as a poser as soon as he was introduced as "an independent filmmaker from Los Angeles". Yeah you and every other convertible-driving, iPhone video shooting bro in that city.

For TS I got means, Swee pea, Splendor in the Grass, and Scott Turow, and the Shutter Island DD. It took me a sec to get to Seychelles because Zanzibar popped in my head but I didn't think it was particularly tongue twistery. Once I went the other way -- getting the tongue twister first -- I was like oh Seychelles! 

Too bad Chloe couldn't hold off Jon.

Chloe was ok at first, but she was dead to me as soon as she said "Bri-in"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought of she sells seashells by the seashore but had no clue what country they needed.

I first thought 'How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood,' but I couldn't get an island out of that. Next came 'She sells sea shells on the---" Seychelles!

I missed the first minute or two. Of what I saw, I got chablis, Sweet Pea (or Swee' Pea?), Splendor in the Grass, and Scott Turow. I said And Then There Were None, which I guess was the real title of the book, not Ten Little Indians. What was that all about.

I knew Shutter Island but just could not remember the title. And re the pic of Queen Elizabeth II, I guessed 1975. I didn't know when she became queen.

• Love 4

FJ wasn't quite an instaget for me - I always mix up the island nations around Africa - so I started listing them, and it went something like: Sao Tome and Principe - not really a tongue twister, Comoros - not really a tongue twister, Seychelles - yes! Sea shells!

Kiribati isn't anywhere near Africa.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm nitpicky, but I feel like Sebastian gave two wrong answers. The first was "Kodiak Bear" when they were looking for the name of the Island. Is it now Kodiak Bear Island?

The second goof was him saying "Hundred Year War," whereas I've always known it as the Hundred Years' War.

Perhaps they figured he was in the ballpark in both cases, but it still grates.

• Love 7

The hopping around was irritating. I thought Chloe was going to pull out the win, but if she is a't' dropper (Bri'in), it's just as well so I do not have to be annoyed by that for however many days. 

TS I got were Calgary, Alice B. Tolkas (he should have just given the last name), Swe Pea, Splendor in the Grass (not sure I would have had time to ring in in time), Turow, 1977 (missed DD), pop. No idea for FJ. I could not get past the Peter Piper pickled peppers tongue twister. 

4 hours ago, teebax said:

This game might have been easier for them if they'd started at the top of the categories.  

It would have been easier for me, too. 

3 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I overthink it too. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And can't anyone start at the tops of the categories anymore??? 

This times a trillion!!!!!

14 hours ago, teebax said:

This game might have been easier for them if they'd started at the top of the categories.  Good lord that was not fun.

I agree! Then I think....they deserve what they get ;) 

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Next came 'She sells sea shells on the---" Seychelles!

That's exactly how I got it, too!

• Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Alex's comments to Emily:  She guessed the correct winners from the Oscars a few years back (and probably not even all of them, just the "important" 5 or 6 categories)

and she won MOVIE TICKETS FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

I'm pretty sure she said she guessed them all.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I realized why Jon bugs me.  He's SO deliberate it's almost catatonic.  He makes me sleepy.

I didn't get it right away, I said Sri Lanka at first, but then Seychelles dawned on me, I think in enough time to write it down.

Oh, and I would've hated to ding Sebastian for it if he'd beaten Jon, but it's the Hundred YEARS War, not the Hundred Year War.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Sebastian resembled Jason Bateman. 

Dammit, Chloe, I was rooting for you!  Sebastian annoyed with the leaning, and Jon, well, is Jon.  And can't anyone start at the tops of the categories anymore??? 

FJ was an instaget for me.  I also managed to get Calgary, a surprising TS, Swee' Pea, Scott Turow, James VI, and pop.  They must have forgotten the category for pop, otherwise I don't see how they all missed that one.

I can't believe Jon's only been on for four days.  It seems like it's been weeks.

I got all of those, plus means, Splendor in the Grass, Jim Bowie, and Shutter Island.  I missed the QEII question because a) I forget when she became queen, and b) I can't add.

• Love 3