Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Ok sad news to report...my husband said the flat jellyfish we saw on the rocks had died but the ones that were still bulbous were ok.  I don't remember seeing any bulbous ones.

• Love 2

Nice! The writers referenced Patrick Rothfuss in the clues tonight. The first two books in his great series are The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

• Love 2

Was FJ supposed to be obvious?  What would be my frame of reference?  Because I had absolutely no clue.

Forest Lawn is not an oxymoron.  And I'm not sure how concession stand is supposed to be either.

Reader's Digest was a surprising TS.

Also, "Vogue" and "Ways and Means" were easier than that FJ as DD's.

The new champ is noisy.  I don't like it.

• Love 7

The current champ is an "educator." How is that different from a teacher? Disappointed that Alex did not ask her. Guessing it means she home schools her kids.

• Love 3
(edited)

@mojoween, regarding FJ, speaking for myself, the year 1905 and Nicholas II leads me to Russia and Nicholas and Alexandra. Then man of God leads to Rasputin, the self proclaimed holy man. N&A saw him as a healer and mystic. I also saw the old Ingrid Bergman movie Anastasia who was rumored to be the only Romanov who escaped execution. I was fascinated at the time and went to the library and used the Dewey decimal system to find books for more information! No google in my childhood. We worked for our knowledge in the dark ages. We didn't need no stinkin' Internet!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 11

Deborah's okay, but I don't see any resemblance to Sally Field.  I liked Darcy a lot.

I got Reader's Digest, goldfinch, rock, Alps (missed DD), Chinook, Forest Lawn, and Alaska.

FJ was an instaget.  I loved the book Nicholas and Alexandra.

• Love 7

Ahh, so I had no chance then.  I'm more of a pop cult Jeopardy! person.  I really need to brush up on world history if I ever have hope to make the show.  Also which president is which number.  I know 1, 16 and 44 and do the math for the twentieth century.

10 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

@mojoween, regarding FJ, speaking for myself, the year 1905 and Nicholas II leads me to Russia and Nicholas and Alexandra. Then man of God leads to Rasputin, the self proclaimed holy man. N&A saw him as a healer and mystic. I also saw the old Ingrid Bergman movie Anastasia who was rumored to be the only Romanov who escaped execution. I was fascinated at the time and went to the library and used the Dewey decimal system to find books for more information! No google in my childhood. We worked for our knowledge in the dark ages. We didn't need no stinkin' Internet!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I was fascinated at the time and went to the library and used the Dewey decimal system to find books for more information! No google in my childhood. We worked for our knowledge.

Same here!  Which lead me to reading a lot about Queen Victoria's influence in spreading hemophilia throughout the royal houses of Europe.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I just want to add that I saw this movie on TV, not in the theater. The movie was released in 1956 and I am not quite THAT old! Almost, but not quite!!

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Forest Lawn is not an oxymoron.  And I'm not sure how concession stand is supposed to be either.

There might be some trees on your lawn, but there's not likely to be a forest on it. To be fair, my mother watches a lot of gossip shows and they talk about celebrities being buried in Forest Lawn. As for concession stand, to concede is to give up or back down as opposed to standing. 

Just now, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yup, who is the "holy man" figure most associated with Nicholas II?  

As for the wager from the champ, though, it made no sense. Her "good poker face" as AT said might have been her calculating whether she won or not. Why only $5000? For that matter, Darcy would have won had she gone all in.

• Love 4

I thought the oxymoron category sucked badly.  And I agree Forest Lawn is not an oxymoron. And I have never thought of concession stand as an oxymoron either, despite the fact it technically is now that I think about it.  But that is only if you accept an alternative meaning of concession than what is being used in the phrase. 

I was gone last week and caught up on all these today, watched like a weeks worth of Jeopardy.  That one girl who had a flower on her glasses, I wanted her gone as soon as I saw her.  Who would wear such a thing, it would be SO ANNOYING to have that on your glasses. 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Deborah's okay, but I don't see any resemblance to Sally Field.  I liked Darcy a lot.

I got Reader's Digest, goldfinch, rock, Alps (missed DD), Chinook, Forest Lawn, and Alaska.

She reminds me more of Janeane Garofalo.
I liked Darcy a lot too.  Wish she had bet more in FJ and snuck in for the victory.

• Love 4

I completely forgot about Bewitched the movie -- and apparently so did everyone else!  

I did, however, get Reader's Digest, rock, Alps, adult children and Alaska.

FJ was almost an instaget -- had to work a second to pull the name out of the deep recesses of my brain.

Also, genre makes an appearance!  If I ever need to say that word (rarely), I always try to do my best Alex Trebek impersonation.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Rasputin is one of those names that I've heard a billion times, but I had absolutely NO idea who he was. None. My schools have failed me tremendously.

Me either.  No idea who he is.  All I know about him is the name and based on this FJ he was apparently an early 20th century Russian. 

• Love 4

I was also in the FJ instaget group.  Read Nicholas and Alexandria more years ago than I like to remember and took a year's worth of Russian history in college.  Have even been lucky enough to visit Leningrad/St. Petersburg - on my last visit, I acted like a complete history nerd during a visit to the house where Rasputin was poisoned, shot and thrown in the river.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was also in the FJ instaget group.  Read Nicholas and Alexandria more years ago than I like to remember and took a year's worth of Russian history in college.  Have even been lucky enough to visit Leningrad/St. Petersburg - on my last visit, I acted like a complete history nerd during a visit to the house where Rasputin was poisoned, shot and thrown in the river.

This thread has me wondering why I know who Rasputin is. When I saw that Anastasia cartoon movie, I already knew who he was. But how? And I first heard the Boney M song long after that. It's a mystery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnVYJDxu2Q

Um - and I never saw the video until just now. Amazing.

• Love 2

The only TS I got was Alaska.

Ah, Rasputin. For an oral report in high school, I came as Rasputin -- beard, costume, Russian accent. I wrote up questions that I gave to a girl in class, then did the report like an interview. FJ was a no brainer for me.

• Love 10

Ah, Rasputin. For an oral report in high school, I came as Rasputin -- beard, costume, Russian accent. I wrote up questions that I gave to a girl in class, then did the report like an interview. FJ was a no brainer for me.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Very clever! An A for you, comrade!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fex said:

This thread has me wondering why I know who Rasputin is. When I saw that Anastasia cartoon movie, I already knew who he was. But how? And I first heard the Boney M song long after that. It's a mystery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnVYJDxu2Q

Um - and I never saw the video until just now. Amazing.

This song is 100% of my knowledge of Rasputin. Needless to say, I didn't get FJ!

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

After poison, gunshots and being tied up, the freezing water finally did the job and killed Rasputin.  Russians don't play.

Don't forget that they were stabbing him under the freezing water!   I'm pretty sure he died from lack of oxygen.

My 8th grade history teacher, a women who in the mid 1980s still wore Lawrence Welk era curled hairpieces and formal suits to class, shocked us all by reenacting the story.   I still remember her corpulent form (that always moved at a lady like pace) racing around the room, waving a gun finger at the class, announcing "They shot him!   And they shot him!   And they shot him!".   This was after the poisoned vodka fake shots and an attempt at Mrs. F  doing that cossack dance.  I still pull this out at events where a handful of fellow alums are -- trust me, it is a massively entertaining crowd pleaser. (I kind of wanted to do it at her wake, but thought her children wouldn't appreciate it.   Seriously - she was the best teacher I ever had and it is remarkable to remember this stuff verbatim 30 years later.) So, this FJ was an Instaget (followed by a reenactment at my house).   Yes, I need a life! 

Edited by MortysCleaningLady
added comment
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought the oxymoron category sucked badly.  And I agree Forest Lawn is not an oxymoron. And I have never thought of concession stand as an oxymoron either, despite the fact it technically is now that I think about it.  But that is only if you accept an alternative meaning of concession than what is being used in the phrase. 

I was gone last week and caught up on all these today, watched like a weeks worth of Jeopardy.  That one girl who had a flower on her glasses, I wanted her gone as soon as I saw her.  Who would wear such a thing, it would be SO ANNOYING to have that on your glasses. 

I did the same thing last night after my return from Seattle. By the way, any of you boardies living in the pacific northwest now have my envy; what a beautiful part of this country it is. It was hard to come back to the heat of Arizona!

Anyway, flower glasses can't be a thing. If it becomes a thing, I just may finally give up on this planet for good. That looked ridiculous. I did not get jellyfish; I said ray thinking of Steve Irwin.  I also didn't get Rasputin, but I'll admit I was nearly asleep by the time I got to the last episode. Let's blame my brain cramp on that. I'd like to think I'd have gotten it right on a normal day.

• Love 4

Surprising that the champ didn't know where Lisa Murkowski is from. She's been in the news a lot lately, being one of the few Republican senators to oppose the recent heathcare bills. 

I don't see the Sally Field resemblance at all.

The oxymoron category could have been interesting, but there were too many non-oxymorons. Forest Desert would be an oxymoron, not Forest Lawn. 

I have to admit that all I really know about Rasputin is that he was hard to kill!

• Love 1

Surprising that the champ didn't know where Lisa Murkowski is from. She's been in the news a lot lately, being one of the few Republican senators to oppose the recent heathcare bills. 

It was probably taped back in Feb or March before she was in the news that much. 

• Love 2

I was expecting jumbo shrimp or plastic glasses in the Oxymoron category. 

Not to sound like an @ss, but I'm surprised that not everyone knows Rasputin.   I didn't learn about him in grade school or high school, so I'm not sure how I know about him.  Guess it's just part of the useless information in my mind.  I'm not a history fan, but the whole saga of N&A is just fascinatingly tragic.  And the book, by Robert Massie is really good in that it reads like a novel and not a boring recitation of facts.

• Love 2

I don't recall learning about N&A in school, but watching the Ingrid Bergman movie Anastasia, which I mentioned above piqued my interest and I started reading about them. In a similar fashion, of course I had heard of Lindbergh and his flying achievements, but after seeing the Jimmy Stewart movie Spirit of St Louis,I found A. Scott Berg's Pulitzer winning book on him. And of course I know the basic historical facts about Dunkirk but have been reading more about it in preparation for seeing the upcoming movie.  

• Love 1

Yay, Deborah!  Although I wouldn't have minded if middle woman won.  Glad end guy lost. 

Like Deborah, I managed to come up with Bahrain, but couldn't for the life of me think of Bhutan for her missed DD.  TS I got include Toyota, VW (would they have accepted VW?), AMC, and Greyfriar's Bobby.  I've been to that kirkyard in Edinburgh, and just outside it, there is a statue to the dog.  I also got the missed DD of Delaware.

FJ should have been an instaget, but even after doing the math, I just took a wild guess at London, without really thinking it was right.  Dates of historical events usually escape me.  I knew there was a giant fire in London, but I couldn't have told you when it was.

And Alex got to say "genre" again!  LOL

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Like Deborah, I managed to come up with Bahrain, but couldn't for the life of me think of Bhutan for her missed DD.  TS I got include Toyota, VW (would they have accepted VW?), AMC, and Greyfriar's Bobby. 

I got Bhutan, but couldn't remember Bahrain. They probably would have taken VW as it is an unambiguous acronym. I hadn't heard of Greyfriar's Bobby.  

• Love 7
(edited)

Congrats to Deborah, but I liked Nancy as well.  Keith was a champion buzzer masher, gotta give him that.

I got Bahrain and Bhutan (missed DD - I remember reading about their royal family of Bhutan when the Queen had a baby a year or two ago), Toyota, Volkswagen, AMC, and Greyfriar's Bobby.

After I did the math, FJ was an instaget.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Put me in the "I got Bhutan but not Bahrain" club, LOL

Same here, although I did think of Bahrain, but something in the wording of the question made me think otherwise. I don't remember now how it was worded that made me think that.

• Love 2

Yep, Bhutan but not Bahrain.

I couldn't quite remember the name of the air bag manufacturer. I said Takuna instead of Takata. I got pretty close! 

I was thinking Delaware but wasn't sure enough to "ring in."

I got Volkswagen, AMC, and Fala

I got FJ. I didn't know the exact year of the London fire, but I knew it was somewhere around Shakespeare's time, give or take a hundred years. :D It should be easy to remember. 1666, right?

• Love 4

I didn't have a clue on FJ - I did the math, but couldn't remember anything in that year that might apply.

I like Deborah, but did she almost screw up by not wagering enough in FJ?  If I remember, the woman in second had over $10K, and if she had bet everything and got it correct, it would have put her over $20K, while Deborah, after getting it correct, only ended up with $19+K. Didn't she do the same in one of her earlier wins?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yay, Deborah!  Although I wouldn't have minded if middle woman won.  Glad end guy lost. 

Like Deborah, I managed to come up with Bahrain, but couldn't for the life of me think of Bhutan for her missed DD.  TS I got include Toyota, VW (would they have accepted VW?), AMC, and Greyfriar's Bobby.  I've been to that kirkyard in Edinburgh, and just outside it, there is a statue to the dog.  I also got the missed DD of Delaware.

FJ should have been an instaget, but even after doing the math, I just took a wild guess at London, without really thinking it was right.  Dates of historical events usually escape me.  I knew there was a giant fire in London, but I couldn't have told you when it was.

And Alex got to say "genre" again!  LOL

For once Bhutan popped into my head (really, just this once, every other game it's been in, Bhutan has not existed for me). I didn't get Bahrain, but the mister did, so between the two of us we had one brain. ;)

1666 just happens to be one of the few years I actually know in terms of a specific event. So once I did the math, I knew it was the Great London Fire (even though I don't really know anything about the fire except it was "great" - I guess bakers had something to do with it?). 1066 is another year. Maybe I just like sixes

• Love 2

I thought the Thomas Dolby song was "She's Blinding Me With Science." I guess I've had that wrong my whole life. Is that a lyric? Add it to Kiss This Guy and "there's a bathroom on the right." Oh, and INXS's "She's a Portuguese" for "What You Need." But I digress...

My gets: Edward Albee; Toyota; VW; Delaware; and AMC. I liked that cars category, but the contestants didn't do so well in it.

I got London for FJ despite the fact I screwed up the math and spent the time wondering if that really happened in the 1500s. 

• Love 2