Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My ts's were Mulligan and King David.  I said scrip instead of paper money - would that be an acceptable answer?

Chile came to mind immediately but then I waffled between Chile and Argentina.

New champ seems okay.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

THAT'S what pissed me off about Nathan!  He really got annoyed when he was behind, didn't he?

I actually found it kind of amusing.  I didn't mind any of the contestants for a change.

I ran the Opera category, which I expected, but also did well in Economics (except for John Maynard Keynes - I've heard of him but didn't know he was part of the Bloomsbury group), which surprised the heck out of me.  I got La Traviata - who knew that Mario Andretti could sing opera?  I'm loving that man more and more - paper money, inflation and David.  I said "sea snail" - would that have been accepted?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I would never have gotten FJ as I was sure latitude was width (from the Latin word for wide) and longitude was length (also from the Latin).  I'm terrible in anything geographic but if they had said name the longest, skinniest country I'd be right there with Chile.

I like the new champion - at least he seems happy to be there, and I love a man in a pink shirt!  Please start at the top of each category and keep the sunny smile...

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

My answer to FJ!  was "What is I do not understand the question?"  It was worded in a way that made no sense to me.  But I am a Geographical Idiot.

I knew it would be a long skinny country, but I was thinking east-west instead of north-south at first. I'm a geographical dummy, too, which I think worked out well this time because Chile was the only long skinny country I could think of. If there are others they didn't even enter my brain!

Loved Clint's pink shirt/tie combo also. And yes, starting at the tops of categories & not skipping around would be great! 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I knew it would be a long skinny country, but I was thinking east-west instead of north-south at first. I'm a geographical dummy, too, which I think worked out well this time because Chile was the only long skinny country I could think of. If there are others they didn't even enter my brain!

The funny thing is, I'm the geographical dummy in our house, and I said Chile, but the mister - who is the geography whiz normally - got tangled up in longitude vs latitude and questioned the answer, so we were trying to think of east-west countries.

• Love 5

My mnemonic device for latitude/longitude is to remember that latitude lines go laterally (sideways). Not sure if this will help anyone, or if they will ever test such a thing on the Jeopardys again ;)

• Love 1

My mnemonic device is latitude = fatitude = waist. I swear I had a teacher in elementary school share that.

I think it's easy to forget that a latitude line is simply a ring around Earth and that all points on a particular latitude line are the same distance from the equator (North-South value).  So the differences in latitude is really the distance between the rings that parallel the equator and is along the North-South continuum.

• Love 1

The Corona commercial that had "change your whole latitude" helps me remember. Also, lines of longitude are are the same length (just as long as the others) because they all meet at the poles.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

Latitudes do go around the earth as you described. So, in order to span 36 degrees of latitude, you would have to be tall 

Ohhhhhhh. Span 36 degrees. I get it. Thanks. Obviously I didn't read carefully.

Puerto Rico and New Guinea aren't really long either - they're both fairly small in all directions!

Yeah well, I was trying to picture ANY country that was wider than it was tall. Cuba maybe (which I confused in my head with Puerto Rico). Looking at a map, I see there aren't a lot of choices.

• Love 2
(edited)

No Gore?  Kudos to anyone who could get that in 3 seconds.

This was a good game with Allan going from third to first place in DJ before falling back to third place.

I don't remember any boneheaded responses although I was surprised 2/3 missed FJ.

Edited by Roaster
left out word first
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I don't remember any boneheaded responses although I was surprised 2/3 missed FJ

I was surprised too! Musical flower = Eidelweiss = Austria. Instaget for me.

• Love 5

Good for Jon, though I got confused when he skipped over the $800 clue in the last category in the first round.  It could have really cost him if someone else had gotten the DD right.

I spent too much time trying to identify the flower, which I did not recognize at all, and didn't pay enough attention to the clue itself, so I flubbed FJ as well.  And then did a mighty face palm when Alex said it was edelweiss.  One of my favorite movies, and I've even stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont!  D'oh!  Not a good game for me tonight.  :(

• Love 4

FJ was a total instaget, having seen The Sound of Music more times than I can count (also a few weeks ago I had to look up the dates for the musical and movie to settle a family debate). I knew the answer before the photo came up, but if I didn't, I don't think the photo would have been at all helpful.

I missed the very beginning - what did Alex say about his Canada sweater and why did he change out of it after the first break?

• Love 3

I got FJ by focusing on the "zwei" instead of the flower. Then i thought Germany and couldn't think of a musical for it. So i then went to Austria.

My TS gets werre Chicago PD, According to Jim, and The Good Fight. Did any of you get No Gore? I thought that was a very tough clue.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I missed the very beginning - what did Alex say about his Canada sweater and why did he change out of it after the first break?

Alex is some sort of Canada ambassador for their 150th birthday which is this weekend.

I was surprised that Canada is so young!

"I'll take 'Shake, Rattle and Roll for Science' for 400 please Alex".

Oh my god hurry UP.  That's why I liked Clint, he seemed quick.

It sounded like the guy on the end said Coco Chanel, with no Who is, and Alex ruled him correct immediately.

• Love 6

Three likeable contestants, no starting in the middle, overall a good game.  Congrats to Jon of the Gnarly Mustache (that made me laugh).

I got Chicago PD, The Good Fight (neither of which I've ever watched), and Christie Brown.

That No Gore clue was extremely tough.

FJ was an instaget.  I'm on a roll!  LOL.

Congrats to Canada on its Sesquicentennial!

I have a question about wagering.  Jon had $6,600 at the end of the J round when he landed on that DD.  It was a relatively easy category (Parent Companies) and he'd already answered some clues correctly.  The other two contestants had $1,400 and $1,600, so he was way ahead, yet he only wagered a measly $500.  Why wouldn't you wager something like $2,000?  Even if he was incorrect, he'd still be ahead and could make it up in DJ.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Alex is some sort of Canada ambassador for their 150th birthday which is this weekend.

"I'll take 'Shake, Rattle and Roll for Science' for 400 please Alex".

Oh my god hurry UP.  That's why I liked Clint, he seemed quick.

It sounded like the guy on the end said Coco Chanel, with no Who is, and Alex ruled him correct immediately.

Alex certainly enjoyed saying "Sesquientenial" :)  And was enjoying giving the clues from the Canadian Embassy.  I thought his sweater was pretty cool :)  And, I too  did not hear the contestant say "Who Is" for Coco Chanel

• Love 4

I was not paying close attention and I thought the clue was asking for the name of the flower, not the name of a country. So when the answers came up I was like "WTF?" *facepalm* It was nice to see Plants as a FJ category, though, even though the clue was not super plant-y.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Alex certainly enjoyed saying "Sesquientenial" :)  And was enjoying giving the clues from the Canadian Embassy.  I thought his sweater was pretty cool :)  And, I too  did not hear the contestant say "Who Is" for Coco Chanel

It had the logo for Canada 150 on it - designed by a university student as a part of a national contest. That symbol is pretty ubiquitous around here these days!

I enjoyed the clues around the Canadian Embassy too :)

I was annoyed that 'recombined' was accepted instead of 'recombinant'. Nobody says 'recombined DNA' ever. I'm tired of them botching science-related clues.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was annoyed that 'recombined' was accepted instead of 'recombinant'. Nobody says 'recombined DNA' ever. I'm tired of them botching science-related clues.

I screamed recombinant and was surprised they ruled recombined correct.  Never heard that term used, but then I figured the Jeopardy judges might know something I don't.

• Love 6

At first I too was focusing on the flower. I thought it looked like a passion flower. But then I realized they were asking for the country. It took me 2 seconds to come up with Austria.

I think I came up with Memoirs of a Geisha, but honestly I'm not sure if I got it in time.

What the heck is disco nap?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I had to look it up.

Disco nap:

A short nap prior to partying.

"I'm going to take a disco nap and then head to the club around eleven."

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

At first I too was focusing on the flower. I thought it looked like a passion flower. But then I realized they were asking for the country. It took me 2 seconds to come up with Austria.

When Alex was reading the clue about a flower in an old movie, I was thinking "Please Don't Eat the Daisies". When they showed the coin, I didn't recognize the flower, but from the writing on the coin, I realized it was "Sound of Music" and got Austria pretty quickly.

• Love 5

My brother in law is a proud Canadian and avid Jeopardy watcher but is currently at Disneyland so I had to take a picture and text it to him.

FJ was an instaget, I was shocked two people missed it.

• Love 3

If anyone had told me that modern day Canada was younger than the US, I would have laughed in their face. Boy do I feel dumb.

Even though my friends and I don't really go to the clubs anymore, we still call an afternoon nap a disco nap so we don't feel old LOL In addition to disco nap my TS were Chicago PD, The Good Fight, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

I only got Austria because of the "zwei" and I figuring the answer wasn't Germany. I have no clue what edelweiss looks like. The "flower" and "musical" in the clue made me think of Flower Drum Song, which obviously has nothing to do with Europe but still made me use up a lot of the solution time giggling at the random associations my mind can make.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

If anyone had told me that modern day Canada was younger than the US, I would have laughed in their face. Boy do I feel dumb.

If it makes you feel any better, a few years ago I was at Canada Day celebrations in Victoria (the capital of BC), and a man in his sixties tapped me on the shoulder as we were waiting in the queue at a store and asked, "What is Canada Day?" I was totally baffled as to why this guy was asking - in the middle of a Canada Day celebration - what Canada Day is, and answered "the anniversary of confederation?". He then asked if that was when the provinces came together, and I said "the first four", still completely flummoxed by the questions. And then he said "oh, so you celebrate the fourth of July early?" And at that point I realized he was not Canadian and the questions became less confusing.

Soooo if you at least have a vague idea of what Canada Day is, no need to feel dumb ;)

Just curious though -what made you think Canada is older than the US?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Can anyone clear up what Clint said in his interview last night?  Surely  I heard wrong because I thought it was something like he wasn't really named for his family's home country  but he was named for Clint Eastwood so "he wouldn't be a Jew"?  Someone please tell me I misheard, but I ran it back because I couldn't believe it....

I heard that too and figured I misheard him.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

I was surprised too! Musical flower = Eidelweiss = Austria. Instaget for me.

My Mom was from Austria and we saw Sound of Music WAY too many times she was from Salzburg.  Edelwiess played a big role in our decor. So yeah, instaget for me, even though furry petals are hard to show on a coin.

14 hours ago, teebax said:

Did any of you get No Gore? I thought that was a very tough clue.

No, because I might have said a filthy two word phrase that fit the clue, but wouldn't have been accepted.

13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Alex certainly enjoyed saying "Sesquientenial" :) 

It is a pretty fun word to say. Our town recently had its sesquicentennial, and I did go around saying it a bit more than I should.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

Like others, I only focused on the flower and couldn't come up with anything..and, while I'm a huge fan of musicals, I HAAAAATE "The Sound of Music" and have done my best to block it from my memory, so I was never going to get it.

• Love 4

Just curious though -what made you think Canada is older than the US?

Somehow Canada being a constitutional monarchy made me think its relationship with Britain was longer that the US' relationship with Britain, and Canada has always seemed like a more stable country than the US which I mistakenly interpreted as "older".

• Love 3
12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Even though my friends and I don't really go to the clubs anymore, we still call an afternoon nap a disco nap so we don't feel old LOL

:D Or more current, a dap nap?

7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Can anyone clear up what Clint said in his interview last night?  Surely  I heard wrong because I thought it was something like he wasn't really named for his family's home country  but he was named for Clint Eastwood so "he wouldn't be a Jew"?  Someone please tell me I misheard, but I ran it back because I couldn't believe it....

I heard that, too, but thought I must be wrong. I still have it on my DVR. I'm going to Zapruder it and see if I can figure it out.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

He said it was so he wouldn't be a junior.

I don't listen to the interviews but that sounds much more likely.  I am not sure they would have let the other suspected comment be aired.

Not an instaget FJ but pretty quick; first I blurted out "edelweiss"  then said Germany when I realized they were asking for the country. then remembered they escaped from Austria so quickly switched to that.

I did like Clint's blue shirt.

I know I got a couple of ts's but forget what they were.

• Love 1

I had to turn on the cc to figure out what Clint said also, but I still don't get it. Why would being named after Clint Eastwood instead of the city where his parents met make him a junior? Was it a joke on his mother's part that Clint Eastwood is his real father? They did not mention it, but maybe his dad is Clint too? In that case, if you have the same full legal name as your father, you're a junior regardless. 

I will miss Clint with his colorful shirt/coordinating tie combos, but new champ is good so far. Alliterative Allen's story was sweet. 

TS I got were According to Jim (only because Clint said Life According to Jim, which jogged my memory), Memoirs of a Geisha, low key, haut. I remembered Christy but not Brown, and I don't suppose "the guy who Daniel Day-Lewis played in 'My Left Foot'" would have been ruled as correct. FJ was an instaget but I would have wagered very little since I have a brown thumb and have no interest in plants. And then I would have been pissed. 

• Love 3

As a Mary Tyler Moore fan I appreciated a category devoted to her, but some of those clues were awfully easy.  (Maybe just for me, but I don't think so; I think they were just too easy.)

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Roaster said:

As a Mary Tyler Moore fan I appreciated a category devoted to her, but some of those clues were awfully easy.  (Maybe just for me, but I don't think so; I think they were just too easy.)

And yet her disease ("Diabetes" (juvenile, I believe)) was a TS!!!

• Love 9

I admit - I thought of Air Force One.  Which just looking up info on Air Force One is not a smart answer :-) 

I knew the diabetes answer -  MTM was very open about her diabetes and did a lot to help others. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I felt bad for Trevor. He played so well but misspoke on Prohibition Party and missed FJ.

I got: diabetes, Yonkers, To Sir With Love (broke my heart no one got that one since it's a favorite of mine) and Ross Perot.

I also got FJ, but only because I recently watched a documentary on it on the Smithsonian Channel.

Edited by teebax
Fat fingers
  • Love 7

Jon confuses me.  He makes such whimpy wagers on his DD's but then bets the farm on FJ.  I felt bad for Trevor, and since I was rooting for him, of course the poor guy was doomed.

I must have had a sudden surge of living brain cells over the weekend because I ran the J round except for the last clue about lines on the map.  That's beyond unusual for me.  Alas, I didn't fare as well in DJ.  I know less than nothing about Marvel comics, for one thing.

I got diabetes (MTM was very vocal about her disease), Yonkers (missed DD), To Sir With Love (one of my all time favorite movies), and H. Ross Perot.

FJ was an instaget.  I've always loved what I called "the humpback whales".  Riding on the upper deck was a thrill.

• Love 5

I got To Sir With Love and Ross Perot. I knew MTM had diabetes, but I didn't know it was an autoimmune disease, so I didn't "ring in."

I also got FJ. I couldn't think of anything but Boeing 747.

• Love 5

I thought of the McDonnell Douglas DC-10, the planes National Airlines used ("I'm Dorothy; Fly me!") instead of the 747. I thought Boeing was in the NW; not sure *where* the DC-10s were made, but figured them for Dallas. (That was the city in the clue, wasn't it?)

I, too, was unaware diabetes is considered an autoimmune disease - and I HAVE it. (type 2).

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, was unaware diabetes is considered an autoimmune disease - and I HAVE it. (type 2).

Type 2 isn't traditionally thought of as an autoimmune disease in the same way that type 1 is. For type 1, it's pretty straightforward - immune system destroys islet cells (insulin-producing cells) in pancreas. With type 2 there's a lot more going on and the thought that there might be an autoimmune component is pretty recent.

I missed Jeopardy since the local station that airs it is terrible and often doesn't work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

not sure *where* the DC-10s were made, but figured them for Dallas. (That was the city in the clue, wasn't it?)

Long Beach, California.  The clue said Dulles International Airport, near Washington, DC.

• Love 1

I laughed when Jon got the DD with the first clue he picked. That's what you get for starting in the middle of the category. Glad the upspeaker Emily didn't win, but I felt bad for her since Trevor (especially) & Jon really took over.

TS I got were diabetes, Yonkers (missed DD), To Sir With Love, X, U joint, Perot (total guess). No idea for FJ, but Dr. Toothbrush, the aviation geek, got it pretty quickly. To me, a plane is a plane. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I felt bad for Trevor, and since I was rooting for him, of course the poor guy was doomed.

Same here. 

• Love 5