Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Driad said:

What shows have done a Jeopardy! episode?  Cheers did, and there probably have been others.

Cheers was my favorite, but The Nanny did one.   Of course, Fran didn't win, but she was 'looking forward to those Chico-San Rice Cakes" that they used to give to the losing contestants instead of $1000.

And more on topic, I was relieved for a better game.

• Love 3

I yelled "consumption!" for the coughing-up-blood lung disease that killed Fantine in Les Mis. I wonder if they would have given that to me, since consumption is what TB was typically called in the period when the show is set?

That's what I said! 

I admit - I didn't get FJ.  Mostly because most of my knowledge of the Sermon is the scene from Life of Brian. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kannon said:

I live in Bergen County, NJ; you can sell alcohol on Sundays but not clothing, shoes, housewares or furniture.

So she should not have been given credit for that answer.  Or, she should have been told to be less specific.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Trey said:

The Simpsons also did an episode..  Marge ended up in the red and Alex wanted the money she owed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought all three contestants were annoying:)

ETA: Just remembered.  Mama's Family also had an episode.

I don't remember the Mama's family jeopardy episode.  I recall they did Family Feud.

But then its not like I was a huge Mama's Family fan.  I am embarrassed now looking back to even admit to watching the show. 

There is a Jeopardy reference as well in one of the Airplane movies.  And of course the iconic Rain Man loved Jeopardly

I know South Park did the famous Wheel of Fortune episode (naggers!), but don't recall Jeopardy on there. 

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't remember the Mama's family jeopardy episode. 

Here's a clip from the particular episode:

Thelma Harper on Jeopardy!

I don't remember them being on Family Feud.

Did not get FJ.  I am not totally clueless about Shakespeare but he's also not one of my strong categories.

I did get Robert Browning, Marilyn Monroe, Periwinkle, Young Turks and Joan Baez.  I know Bob Dylan's real last name is Zimmerman but I just couldn't pull it out in time.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

I enjoyed an entire board homage to His Bobness. 

I do recall a Mama's Family where Eunice went on the Gong Show. When they gonged her, the way Carol Burnett's face crumpled made me aware of how devastating that show actually was for the losers.

• Love 2

I was sad that Zimmerman was a $200 Triple Stumper.  And even I, the Idiot of All Things European History, got Young Turks.  I instantly got Joan Baez because I freaking love that song.  I went through a phase last year when I listened to it about 5 times every night.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I was sad that Zimmerman was a $200 Triple Stumper.  And even I, the Idiot of All Things European History, got Young Turks.  I instantly got Joan Baez because I freaking love that song.  I went through a phase last year when I listened to it about 5 times every night.

Did they mention a song in that clue?

I just listened to San Francisco (Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair). And I could listen to pretty much anything by Joan Baez over and over.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Hooray, Peter's gone!  Not sure how I feel about Lisa, though.  At least she doesn't shout at us.  I felt bad for middle guy -- he just couldn't seem to get it going with the buzzer.

FJ was an instaget thanks to the name of the soccer club.

I also got Summer and Fall, Tom Jones, and Venice.

• Love 6

Yay, Lisa!  She finally kicked Screaming Peter off my lawn.  She'll probably be a one and done, but she had a nice payday.

I got mitt, summer and fall, Tom Jones, and Venice.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it was close.  I, too, got it because of the name of the soccer club.

• Love 6
(edited)

I got mitt, summer and fall, and palo verde. I never had allergy issues until I moved to Arizona.  I had a skin test, and it's mesquite and palo verde that are killing me. Unfortunately,  they're both hard to avoid. I have a huge palo verde tree in my front yard. 

This was a good game, I thought. 

ETA I missed FJ.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5

Also happy to be rid of Peter. I think I kind of love Lisa? Her running that Classic Rock category and her reactions to getting right answers was endearing to me. Nice to have a good game after a string of bad ones.

• Love 12
(edited)
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I enjoyed an entire board homage to His Bobness. 

I do recall a Mama's Family where Eunice went on the Gong Show. When they gonged her, the way Carol Burnett's face crumpled made me aware of how devastating that show actually was for the losers.

Yes, I remember how much Eunice was looking forward to stardom as a result of her appearance on the show. One correction: I think it was a skit on the Carol Burnett Show, not Mama's Family.

Here's a list of sitcoms that have had game show episodes.

I thought there would be rejoicing at the defeat of Peter. I also loved Lisa's "Whoa, I was right?" reactions.

I was surprised that someone missed FJ, though I was wondering if someone would fail to pay attention to the date and guess Nelson Mandela.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I was surprised that someone missed FJ, though I was wondering if someone would fail to pay attention to the date and guess Nelson Mandela.

That was the only part of it I got right. "Well, that's way too early to be Nelson Mandela....."

• Love 3

I didn't know (or had forgotten) that Gandhi lived in South Africa. His name actually came to mind with "passive resisters," but I didn't think he was there.

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I admit - I didn't get FJ.  Mostly because most of my knowledge of the Sermon is the scene from Life of Brian. 

Blessed are the cheesemakers!

• Love 6

I guessed Gandhi just based on South Africa and 1903, but in retrospect, "passive resisters" should have made it obvious!

I thought Tom Jones was a surprising TS.

• Love 5

Peter didn't bother me too much, except for the shouting, but with 3 kids and their friends, I am used to loud voices. Happy for Lisa - she reminds me of my BFF's mom.

TS I got were mitt, summer + fall, Tom Jones. I guessed FJ correctly because of the team name, but it was 100% guess since I had no idea that Gandhi ever lived in S. Africa. 

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame $200 clue about 5 of Janet Jackson's siblings having been inducted:

Me: Rebbie & LaToya are in the hall of fame???

Dr. Toothbrush:  Pretty sure it's the Jackson 5

I'm usually only that brain dead on Friday nights, but my office is closed tomorrow for TS Cindy, so I guess technically it is my Friday night. 

2 hours ago, burner said:

I think I kind of love Lisa? Her running that Classic Rock category and her reactions to getting right answers was endearing to me. 

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also loved Lisa's "Whoa, I was right?" reactions.

At first I thought she was showing surprise that Willie Nelson is not in the R'n'R Hall of Fame like I did. Peter Frampton, too. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, opus said:

That was the only part of it I got right. "Well, that's way too early to be Nelson Mandela....."

Same here, had no idea Gandhi ever spent time in South Africa.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

At first I thought she was showing surprise that Willie Nelson is not in the R'n'R Hall of Fame like I did. Peter Frampton, too. 

I think that was it: disbelief that the groups aren't in the HoF. Speaking of that category, bravo (sincerely) to the writer of the Smiths clue.

• Love 5

FJ was an IG but that's because his time in SA fascinates me. He lived there for 21 years as an adult, its where he started practicing law and came up with much of his philosophy and actions about civil action. Though  I think it only takes up 3 or 4 minutes of the movie and is glossed over on a lot of mentions his life and work.

• Love 3

I haven't watched in a few days but wanted to butt in and mention that Beverly Hills 90210 also did a Jeopardy! theme.  I'll always think of Thomas Jefferson because of it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Peter didn't bother me too much, except for the shouting, but with 3 kids and their friends, I am used to loud voices. Happy for Lisa - she reminds me of my BFF's mom.

TS I got were mitt, summer + fall, Tom Jones. I guessed FJ correctly because of the team name, but it was 100% guess since I had no idea that Gandhi ever lived in S. Africa. 

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame $200 clue about 5 of Janet Jackson's siblings having been inducted:

I'm usually only that brain dead on Friday nights, but my office is closed tomorrow for TS Cindy, so I guess technically it is my Friday night. 

Yes I was surprised by that as well. 

My extent of knowledge of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is based on listening to the 80s and 8 on Sirius, they give updates periodically and mention it.  Some of the ones they induct, I think "Seriously!"  I mean, The Cars made it in this year.  I like The Cars, but Rock and Roll HOF and not Peter Frampton?  I guess you an argue Willie Nelson because he is more country ???  Maybe.  But yeah does not make much sense to me. 

But then again I am just a casual music fan, I know little to nothing about the technicalities of the industry or how good some of the artists are or are not. 

But seriously, still, The Cars and not Peter Frampton? 

• Love 5
(edited)

Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.  

Same here, had no idea Gandhi ever spent time in South Africa.

I only know from seeing the movie.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 6

Wow, I did know that Gandhi spent time in South Africa and I still didn't get fj! I was focusing too much on the soccer portion and trying to come up with a sports person. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I misheard/read the clue and thought it said five sisters, so I was puzzled as to which singer had five sisters in the R&R Hall of Fame.

BTW, I know I could google (and should, according to John Oliver), but who nominates and then votes on the inductees?

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I only know from seeing the movie.  

I should remember the things in the movie, which I saw many years ago, but unfortunately I didn't remember this.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I misheard/read the clue and thought it said five sisters, so I was puzzled as to which singer had five sisters in the R&R Hall of Fame.

BTW, I know I could google (and should, according to John Oliver), but who nominates and then votes on the inductees?

I should remember the things in the movie, which I saw many years ago, but unfortunately I didn't remember this.

From their website on the nominators :

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

Basically kind of like the Oscars.  900 people who are music and industry critics, insiders, plus all the current living HOF inductees.

But then fans can also vote as part of the process. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Is it safe? I've been afraid to watch since the Attack of the Hair Flower Women. I work with someone who likes to match her hair flower to her outfit. She also wears candy cane striped tights. Looks like she's walking on barber poles. Spare me.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6

Hey, Lisa has a picture of Hitler's bathtub.  She's o.k. in my book.

W. Nelson and J. Cash do not belong in the RRHoF.  The Country Music HoF, yes.  I suppose I'll start a B.A. flame war with that statement....

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

W. Nelson and J. Cash do not belong in the RRHoF.  The Country Music HoF, yes.  I suppose I'll start a B.A. flame war with that statement....

I agree with you.  I listen to a lot of country music, have for years (when it wasn't cool) and love both of them, but they aren't Rock & Roll.

• Love 1

Also, Miles Davis does not belong in the RnRHoF, but yet he's there. Makes no damn sense, but if Jann Wenner likes you & you sell a lot of records, it matters not what genre you specialize in - he'll put you in the RnRHoF. If he doesn't like you, no matter HOW influential you've been to other RnR'ers, you won't get in.  Wenner wields the hammer.

I'm happy we have Scarf Woman instead of the Hair Flower Females.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm happy we have Scarf Woman instead of the Hair Flower Fe

She apparently has a whole suitcase of scarfs. Yesterday was reddish, today's is green. Any guesses on tomorrow's color?

• Love 6

For FJ I said immediately "the guy who Tom Hanks played in Bridge of Spies". Then I spent the rest of the time trying to remember is name instead of actually thinking it through and going for Powers - though I doubt I would have been able to pull Powers' name out of my brain either. At least I was close!

• Love 8

I'm pretty sure they would not have accepted "the American guy in that movie, Bridge Of Spies", which was all I could think of for about 20 of the 30 seconds for FJ.  I finally managed to pull the name out of the deep recesses of my brain, but I'm not sure I would have had time to write it down.  The worst part of not being able to immediately think of his name is that he grew up very near to where I grew up, and there's even a historical road sign about him there!

I was all prepared not to have a clue, though, since 1962 is before my time.  Just barely before my time, mind you, but before my time nonetheless. 

• Love 2

Lisa!  You go, girl!  I'm glad I was wrong about her being a one and done.  I actively rooted against Natasha when she started selecting clues in the middle of categories.

For the love of Pete, when there's only one category left, and time is short, just say the dollar amount and not the whole damned category name, people!

The only TS I got was wheelhouse (missed DD).

Even though it wasn't before my time, I could only come up with "that spy" for FJ.

• Love 8

When I saw Rudolf Abel's name, I immediately knew this was in Bridge of Spies. For a second I was thinking it was the young kid whose name they were looking for, which seemed ridiculous, but then I remembered Powers. However, I said Gary Powers. Not sure if I would have gotten credit for that.

The only TS I got was Monaco, which seemed like the obvious answer to me.

I had to google Midnight Assassin to see who it was about. I was thinking The Devil in the White City, but this other one happened about 9 years before.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

However, I said Gary Powers. Not sure if I would have gotten credit for that.

You would have. As per the Great WIki, he was known as Gary and the last name was likely sufficient anyway.

51 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

"The Spy in that Tom Hanks movie" was my answer.  I mean technically it was correct!  

That's a good point, but despite how lenient the judges have seemed to be lately, I don't think they'll accept that one. :)

• Love 4

Congrats to Lisa! I liked Natasha until she went DD hunting in DJ. Daniel reminded me of Colin Firth, and I liked his story. 

The only TS I got were windmills & Monaco. I guessed JFK for FJ; Dr. Toothbrush said "that spy played by Tom Hanks". I haven't seen Bridge of Spies so I would never have gotten it right. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

However, I said Gary Powers. Not sure if I would have gotten credit for that.

I said Gary Powers too.  Isn't he known by that name, rather than Francis?

The only ts I remember getting is windmills.

I like Lisa.

ETA:  According to Wikipedia, he is "often referred to as simply Gary Powers". So I guess we do get credit for FJ:)

ETA again:  Pipped by DrScottie! Somehow I missed seeing that part of the post.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I guessed JFK for FJ; Dr. Toothbrush said "that spy played by Tom Hanks". I haven't seen Bridge of Spies so I would never have gotten it right. 

Great movie. You should see it!

• Love 4

For FJ I said immediately "the guy who Tom Hanks played in Bridge of Spies".

Actually, it was Austin Stowell.  Tom Hanks played the guy that got him released.  Though, spoiler I guess :-)  I knew what they were talking about since I saw the movie but couldn't remember his name.  

• Love 2
On 6/21/2017 at 1:03 PM, Trey said:

Here's a clip from the particular episode:

Thelma Harper on Jeopardy!

I don't remember them being on Family Feud.

Did not get FJ.  I am not totally clueless about Shakespeare but he's also not one of my strong categories.

I did get Robert Browning, Marilyn Monroe, Periwinkle, Young Turks and Joan Baez.  I know Bob Dylan's real last name is Zimmerman but I just couldn't pull it out in time.

I knew Measure for Measure because I'd seen the RSC do it in London years ago, but it is one of those plays which clearly demonstrates how Shakespearean comedy and the modern idea of comedy are quite different.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

For FJ I said immediately "the guy who Tom Hanks played in Bridge of Spies". Then I spent the rest of the time trying to remember is name instead of actually thinking it through and going for Powers - though I doubt I would have been able to pull Powers' name out of my brain either. At least I was close!

That was also my answer.  My best friend said the same thing, and she actually remembers the FGP incident, so I didn't feel so bad.

• Love 3