Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Worst. Game. Ever.  Between Barbara's rambling, never ending story (the basis was cool, but damn, it went on forever), Peter's dumb ass guesses and incorrect phrasing, and Jeremy's swaying, I could barely watch. 

So many TS, most of which should have been gimmes -- FBI, flint, English, Casbah, fog, storm surge, jet stream and cyclone were some I remember getting.  I think I got tired of writing them down after a while.

American wasn't a completely stupid guess for FJ -- I thought of it because  Dallas is a hub for them, after all.  Delta was not an instaget.  No idea where TWA came from. 

As bad games go, I don't think it came anywhere near that Power Players game a year or two back when everyone seemed drunk, but it was pretty sad. Not only did they miss a $200 clue at the outset, but when Barbara mixed up Joe Louis and Joe Frazier, I didn't think it was going to be a good game. 

Was it my imagination, or were all 3 shouting their answers?

I groaned when Peter didn't phrase his correct DD as a question.

Jeremy's story about studying at the Moscow Art Theater went on for quite a while also. There was barely time for Peter to mention the Presbyterian ministers in his family. 

I said Pan Am for FJ, but the revelation of the correct answer was one of those "Duh!" moments. Learn something new every day!

• Love 5

I forgot to add that I think Jeremy cost himself a runaway game with a bad last guess. I think said hurricane when they'd just had a question about hurricanes. 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, teebax said:

I forgot to add that I think Jeremy cost himself a runaway game with a bad last guess. I think said hurricane when they'd just had a question about hurricanes. 

I hated everyone playing but he was the least offensive of the 3. So that bad guess at the very end really hurt because I figured it'd be the reason he didn't win. And then he missed FJ.

I also missed FJ. I knew the cities had to be part of it but never knew "Mississippi Delta" is the reason for the name Delta. So at least I got that out of this horrendous game. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I missed tonight's episode, but now I just have to see it to truly enjoy how bad it was.

Guzzling down a few adult beverages first will add to the hilarity.  ??

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Did I imagine it or did the champ somehow win despite getting all three DDs wrong?

Technically he was correct in the "Century of the Fight" question, but forgot his phrasing.

• Love 4

That game was insane! My favourite part was the Japanese words category. The one where the clue was something about you're speaking this right now, and she said "Japanese", then the guy in the middle said "friend" was amazing.

• Love 13
35 minutes ago, Fex said:

That game was insane! My favourite part was the Japanese words category. The one where the clue was something about you're speaking this right now, and she said "Japanese", then the guy in the middle said "friend" was amazing.

That was an LOL moment for me. 

• Love 10

Living in Metro Atlanta, I couldn't imagine Delta being based anywhere but there, so I picked up on the Texas part of the clue and said, "Braniff."  Since I'm on vacation and in a hotel room in Barboursville, WV, I didn't have the cats to laugh at me when I got it wrong.

I used to work with a woman who flew TWA a lot and hated it. She said the initials stand for Try Walking Again.

• Love 5

The bar was set pretty low last night. All three contestants were awful. How can you not remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question? This is Jeopardy, for goodness sakes! 

Worst one I've seen in a while. The lady on the end was channeling Samantha Steven's dotty old Aunt Clara on Bewitched, right down to the flower in her hair. 

• Love 11

How can you not remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question?

I listen to a couple of game shows on public radio, and quite a few contestants phrase their answers as questions (at least the first time), even though they are not supposed to on those shows.

• Love 3

I figured the ptv faithful would find that game painful! Seeing that big honkin' hair flower during the intros was a tip-off that this would be no ordinary match. 

When FJ was over I yelled, "None of you deserves to win!" It's very rare when something other than baseball has me talking back to the TV.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Can someone explain to me the logic of staying in a category where you answer wrong every time? I see that time and time again. 

I've often wondered that myself.  It's like they think a category like Norse God Names Translated Into Croatian will suddenly become clear to them even though they know nothing about Norse mythology and have no idea where Croatia is even located, let alone the language.

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Wow. Just wow. I don't know what else to say about that game.

Can someone explain to me the logic of staying in a category where you answer wrong every time? I see that time and time again. 

I'm convinced they do it solely to piss me the heck off. Works every time, too!

• Love 7

I listen to a couple of game shows on public radio, and quite a few contestants phrase their answers as questions (at least the first time), even though they are not supposed to on those shows.

Back in the day of "Win Ben Stein's Money" some of the contestants were clearly Jeopardy wannabes and would answer that way, and it would drive Stein crazy.

To me the way the guy screwed that up last night was by being smug ("That would be...." is a very know-it-all way to talk.) I always wondered if someone phrased along the lines of "Is it _____?" whether that would be allowed.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

To me the way the guy screwed that up last night was by being smug ("That would be...." is a very know-it-all way to talk.) I always wondered if someone phrased along the lines of "Is it _____?" whether that would be allowed.

There was a contestant not too long ago (within the last year or two) who kept annoying me by saying "Is it...?" and all of his responses were accepted since they were questions. I think it is similar to how you can say "What is <person's name>?" and it is still accepted even though it should be "Who is" - as long as it's a question, even if the question doesn't follow convention, the answer is accepted.

I did laugh though at "That would be" because it struck me as quite smug also. A bit of schadenfreude there.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Worst. Game. Ever.  Between Barbara's rambling, never ending story (the basis was cool, but damn, it went on forever), Peter's dumb ass guesses and incorrect phrasing, and Jeremy's swaying, I could barely watch. 

And Jeremy's YELLING and Barbara's seemingly forgetting to pick another clue and when she interrupted the game to tell Alec, that after her guess was ruled incorrect, she knew the answer.   

It was an uncomfortable episode.

I guessed United -- there parent airline was based out of Texas around that time.   I googled it for fun.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work with a woman who flew TWA a lot and hated it. She said the initials stand for Try Walking Again.

Travel With Another [Airline]

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm reading this at work & had to close my office door because I am laughing so hard at your comments. 

If Christopher Guest wants to make a mockumentary about game shows, this game would be great research.

TS I got were Mayweather, flint, Lily Allen, English, Yardbird, fog, storm surge, and the DD that was not in the form of a question (guess Peter didn't hear me shouting "what is" from my living room). FJ was an instaget, because of the cities, although none are technically in the Mississippi Delta. Monroe (LA) & Jackson (MS) are relatively close. I am from LA but thought Delta was founded in GA. Dr. Toothbrush knew, but he is an aviation geek. 

14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Did I imagine it or did the champ somehow win despite getting all three DDs wrong?

And 2 of the 3 were true DD where he lost it all!

13 hours ago, Fex said:

Dr. Toothbrush & I were dumbfounded at those guesses. 

5 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Worst one I've seen in a while. The lady on the end was channeling Samantha Steven's dotty old Aunt Clara on Bewitched, right down to the flower in her hair. 

Aunt Clara is a perfect description! And so many of her answers were as successful as Aunt Clara's spells were! I thought I detected a hankie in her shirt cuff (could have been the cuff itself, but it was more pronounced on one side), so to me she was channeling nuns and my great grandmother & her sisters. 

3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I figured the ptv faithful would find that game painful! Seeing that big honkin' hair flower during the intros was a tip-off that this would be no ordinary match. 

I snickered at the flower, but after Jeremy's exaggerated head nod during his intro, I knew this would be a doozy and had to pause the recording to pour a 2nd glass of wine. 

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Back in the day of "Win Ben Stein's Money" some of the contestants were clearly Jeopardy wannabes and would answer that way, and it would drive Stein crazy.

And they had to wear a dunce cap for the rest of the game. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Fex said:

What's even worse is that the champ didn't even answer the obvious correct answer "English"! Alex even said "and you all speak this" before anyone answered!

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm afraid to record tonight's game.  I'm afraid it will be as bad as last night.

Sitcoms and SNL can get to last night's levels of humor -- lightning can not strike twice.   Record and either the champion will be back to competent or it'll be a two way runaway.  

• Love 2

If Christopher Guest wants to make a mockumentary about game shows, this game would be great research.

Brilliant. I call Jennifer Coolidge or Catherine O'Hara as the wacky contestant with a lot of "personality", Parker Posey as an annoying up-talker, and Eugene Levy as a lonely nerd. Michael McKean or Harry Shearer would be a great host.

• Love 3

Yes, why hasn't Guest made a game show mockumentary yet?!

I don't like speaking ill of contestants, so I'll just say that all three had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Since I couldn't decide who to root for, I rooted for nobody.

• Love 5

I've set the DVR, but I will rely on y'all to let me know if it's worth watching.

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, why hasn't Guest made a game show mockumentary yet?!

He needs to get on this, stat!

49 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Brilliant. I call Jennifer Coolidge or Catherine O'Hara as the wacky contestant with a lot of "personality", Parker Posey as an annoying up-talker, and Eugene Levy as a lonely nerd. Michael McKean or Harry Shearer would be a great host.

Excellent casting choices!

• Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Driad said:

What shows have done a Jeopardy! episode?  Cheers did, and there probably have been others.

The Simpsons also did an episode..  Marge ended up in the red and Alex wanted the money she owed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought all three contestants were annoying:)

ETA: Just remembered.  Mama's Family also had an episode.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Awesome! I vote for Michael McKean as the host & Harry Shearer as the announcer. Jane Lynch and John Michael Higgins can be the clue crew. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What shows have done a Jeopardy! episode?  Cheers did, and there probably have been others.

I think you folks have gotten all of them, plus there was this Family Guy bit with Adam West. 

• Love 3

I yelled "consumption!" for the coughing-up-blood lung disease that killed Fantine in Les Mis. I wonder if they would have given that to me, since consumption is what TB was typically called in the period when the show is set?

• Love 9
(edited)
41 minutes ago, BryroseA said:

I yelled "consumption!" for the coughing-up-blood lung disease that killed Fantine in Les Mis. I wonder if they would have given that to me, since consumption is what TB was typically called in the period when the show is set?

I'm sure they would have.

It wasn't a show, but White Men Can't Jump had a great Jeopardy scene.

I got: periwinkle,  young turks, young goodman brown, and Zimmerman. I got FJ as well.

What a difference a day makes!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2

Gak!  Another flower wearer, only this one yakked throughout the game.

I got Marilyn Monroe, periwinkle, Young Turks (missed DD), Brigham Young, Zimmerman, and Joan Baez.

There should have been a BMS for Johnson and that Blue Laws answer was too specific, IMO.

I kept slapping my head saying, "I know this! It's on the tip of my tongue!" for FJ.  Funny that Screaming Annoying Peter, the descendant of many preachers, didn't get it.

• Love 13

I forgot to post about yesterday's game, or maybe I was just traumatized. As soon as I saw that huge flower in the intro, I knew Barbara(?) was gonna bug the hell out of me but then they were all awful and it was excruciating to watch. 

I got the FBI (DD), Lily Allen, English, and yardbird TS. I am obsessed with Japanese TV dramas and was so excited to see the Japanese category but the "Engo" = Japanese or Friend totally ruined it for me. For FJ I got fooled by the Dallas part of the clue and said American.

Today's game couldn't possibly be as bad and it wasn't but I'm over Peter. The deadly buzzer grip, the yelling... He needs to get off my TV. 

There should have been a BMS for Johnson and that Blue Laws answer was too specific, IMO.

IMO too!

• Love 5

Young Turks! I feel bad that the guy was stuck thinking about "blue." It's bad enough when I lose track of the category at home, but the whole board is right there in front of them! 

• Love 5

They really need to stop with the flowers in their hair.  They aren't going to San Francisco!

I'm a little surprised there wasn't a picture of Marilyn Monroe.  I got that one anyway.

I also got periwinkle, Zimmerman (I was surprised and sad that was a TS), and Joan Baez. 

Unfortunately, I completely blanked for FJ.

I am tired of Peter.  He can lose any time now.  Not only did he start his story tonight with "so", he started every bloody sentence in the story with "so"!

I am glad I recorded this one.  :)

• Love 7

Much better game, but they all bugged. I seriously thought I was having deja vu in the intros after the nod from Chris and the flower in Melissa's hair. 

TS I got were Robert Browning, Young Turks (missed DD; how did Chris forget the category that he just chose???), Zimmerman. Had no clue for FJ. 

As much as I sometimes hate when contestants can answer with a last name only, having to have both first and last, and in some cases a middle name, in the Authors' Initials category was difficult for me, and I missed a couple of clues that I would have gotten correct if I only had to provide a last name. 

4 hours ago, BryroseA said:

I did the same, and yes I think it would have been accepted. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Agree with both.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Marilyn Monroe, I said Jane Russell. 

I guessed Sophia Loren, but Dr. Toothbrush got it right. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Finally saw Monday's game -- what a trainwreck that was.  Plus, Jeremy with the head bobbing up and down really annoyed.

Peter should have been flagged in the DJ round that you don't get multiple tries at each clues to overcompensate for the fact that you couldn't remember the basic rules of the game.   He was starting to sound like Rainman towards the end.

Those 2 guesses by Jeremy and Barbara on that $200 clue in the Jeopardy round really set the tone for the entire game.  Of course this was bookended by the triple TS of storm surge, jet stream and cylcone in the Weather Category was just plain embarrassing.  Really ? Those are all pretty commonly known terms.  Tornado was just an awful guess by Barbara for cyclone.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, dcalley said:

I was sad no one got Joan Baez. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

And who sings rock & roll better than Joan Baez?  That HoF is a freakin' joke.  Sometimes, I'm *glad* they still haven't inducted Warren Zevon.

Chris Guest's "host" needs to be someone with an unctuous French accent. I adore McKean, but Shearer can probably do that better.

I'm over hair flowers, thank you.  I wonder if one saw the other in the green room and decided that would be a good look and went for it on the spur of the moment. Contestant Coordinator needs to put a stop to that.

• Love 3