Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

LMAO! I was disturbed by the guinea pig eating too. 

I first came across the idea of guinea pigs as food in an episode of a British reality show called Last Man Standing.  The contestants were in the Andes on that ep (could've been Peru), staying with local families, and were all served the afore-mentioned rodent as dinner.  All but one of them ate it; the last guy tried, but just couldn't.

• Love 3

Hoffa???????  What an insane guess.  Trump is not much better (as a guess).  Florida real estate in the 60s = Walt Disney.  It was an instaget for me.  And I laughed out loud at "M.T. Lott" -- I'd not heard that pseudonym before.

I am sad that Nathan won.  I was rooting for William.  Mostly because Nathan claps like Nicole Kidman.

The only TS I got was Lender's bagels.  Oh, which reminds me of Brandon's other insane guess of marmalade when the answer was lox. 

• Love 4
Just now, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got was Lender's bagels.  Oh, which reminds me of Brandon's other insane guess of marmalade when the answer was lox. 

Oh yes, all of that cured marmalade we are all so fond of, lol. 

• Love 5

I checked the clue on the J! website earlier today and couldn't come up with an answer although it sounded vaguely familiar - though I did think of Trump Sr (obviously too long ago for President Trump). Then I completely forgot about the clue until it popped up at the end of the episode, at which point it took me about half a second to realize it was Disney. Just had to think of who would need that much land in Florida!

Hoffa was a pretty terrible guess though.

• Love 4

FJ was a total instaget for me because I have read a lot about the history of Disney World. The book "Realityland" is particularly great, if you are interested in hearing about it. The land acquisition aspect was actually pretty interesting...they bought a ton of tracts of land under a bunch of pseudonyms, and by the time anyone really figured out what was going on, they had almost all the land they needed for super cheap.

• Love 2

I knew FJ.  In fact I just read or heard this fact somewhere recently, like last week.  Now I can't recall where.  Thought it might be on here

Again surprised only 1/3 got it correct.  Thought it was pretty obvious.

• Love 4

I'm so glad Nathan won! William knew a ton but I didn't like how he read DD ahead of Alex and was jumping out of his pants to answer. Smarty pants LOL 

The TS I got were Logan's Run and face palm. It took me a sec to get FJ but I finally figured out who might be playful enough to use a punny pseudonym... in Florida... in the 60s.

I'm not particularly bothered when Jeopardy! names a category something like "Women _____" but I was deeply annoyed by the "African-Americans" category. No qualifier like "authors", or "politicians" or "musicians" but an entire ethnic group whittled down to 5 clues, 3 of which are Black History Month go-to's Thurgood Marshall, Malcolm X and W.E.B DuBois. I've never seen a category titled "Women". Gah.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew FJ.  In fact I just read or heard this fact somewhere recently, like last week.  Now I can't recall where.  Thought it might be on here

I just read or heard it recently too, and I can't remember where. It's driving me nuts. I think I would've gotten it anyway because it seemed obvious to me.

I got Lender's and facepalming. The last guy seemed to be slow playing at the end of the game. I know it's a strategy, but I hate it. 

Marmalade, Trump,  and Hoffa were the answers that had me chuckling. Also, I know Nathan had to bet enough to cover the former champ, but I felt like he should've bet more. Thoughts?

BTW, I missed my fellow boardies while away on vacation. (Technically, I'm still on vacation because I'm a teacher.) I'm glad to be able to watch my show and discuss it with my fellow fans.

• Love 6

Bye Brandon, you weirdo.  I finally figured out what his slow blinking looked like - a very bad actor pretending to be blind.  I was really rooting for William.  Nathan's wild wrangling of his buzzer was bizarre.  We need a new nice calm normal champ stat.

What's up with Alex and his looong pauses before ruling the answers correct?  He's been doing this all week and it's starting to annoy me.

I got Logan's Run and face palm.

After seeing the answer for FJ, it should have been obvious, but it wasn't.  I would have answered "Who is ???" but not Trump and certainly not Hoffa (WTF!?).

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm so glad Nathan won! William knew a ton but I didn't like how he read DD ahead of Alex and was jumping out of his pants to answer. Smarty pants LOL 

The TS I got were Logan's Run and face palm. It took me a sec to get FJ but I finally figured out who might be playful enough to use a punny pseudonym... in Florida... in the 60s.

I'm not particularly bothered when Jeopardy! names a category something like "Women _____" but I was deeply annoyed by the "African-Americans" category. No qualifier like "authors", or "politicians" or "musicians" but an entire ethnic group whittled down to 5 clues, 3 of which are Black History Month go-to's Thurgood Marshall, Malcolm X and W.E.B DuBois. I've never seen a category titled "Women". Gah.

I'm glad Nathan won,too!! A fellow Michigander, plus he applauded for the others.  William bugged me from the outset for some reason.  And I know I'm in the minority, but Brandon didn't bother me.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I'm glad Nathan won,too!! A fellow Michigander, plus he applauded for the others.  William bugged me from the outset for some reason.  And I know I'm in the minority, but Brandon didn't bother me.

He didn't bother me either, although I noticed the blinkinh thing today.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Umm, it's Hudson Bay, not Hudson's Bay -- should have been ruled incorrect.

I was waiting for that correction! The department store is Hudson's Bay, but the actual bay has no 's'.

52 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I like to think I would have figured it out, but I read it really recently too. Maybe we all saw it in the same place!

http://www.cracked.com/article_24824_the-5-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-disney.html

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Fex said:

I was waiting for that correction! The department store is Hudson's Bay, but the actual bay has no 's'.

I like to think I would have figured it out, but I read it really recently too. Maybe we all saw it in the same place!

http://www.cracked.com/article_24824_the-5-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-disney.html

I do read cracked quite a bit, so it probably was there. 

That or Mentalfloss, which I like a bit better than cracked but they don't have as much content. 

Oh and the new champion was getting a bit testy there with his wrong answers or when he got beat on the buzzer.  You normally don't see that on this show. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought Walt Disney was super obvious.  Also "M.T. Lott" highly amused me and I generally don't like puns.

Oh man. I missed the M.T Lott pun. I generally LIKE puns, and I like that one.\

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What's up with Alex and his looong pauses before ruling the answers correct?  He's been doing this all week and it's starting to annoy me.

One long pause tonight was when someone gave the answer "What is The Nighthawks." The title is actually just "Nighthawks," so maybe that's why Alex paused.

I didn't get any TS's. I did get FJ, though it took me a sec.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Marmalade, Trump,  and Hoffa were the answers that had me chuckling. Also, I know Nathan had to bet enough to cover the former champ, but I felt like he should've bet more. Thoughts?

I understand your point. It's a calculated risk since if William bet nothing, Nathan loses.  In general though, people in 1st place going into FJ bet to win if the person in second goes all in. You never want to be in the position where you get it right and still lose. A safer bet for Nathan would have been  $8601 as he beats William if he gets it wrong or bets nothing.  

Nathan started at 14,600. As you pointed out, he bet to beat the former champ by 1 dollar to 18,001. William meanwhile at 23,200 was going to bet instead in case Nathan went all in to 29,200 so he bet 6,001. With that incorrect response, William dropped below the 18,000 mark. 

• Love 2

I wish my photos were better organized.  The Disney parks pay tribute to many of the people who helped build them on the upper-floor windows on Main Street.  I know I have pictures of the M. T. Lott window somewhere (which also lists all of the other shell companies they used to buy the Florida properties).  Oh well, it's certainly Google-able.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Umm, it's Hudson Bay, not Hudson's Bay -- should have been ruled incorrect.

I was coming here specifically to see if anyone else noticed that.

It was SO obvious! I can't believe there was no correction. Can the judges get any more random in what they call correct/incorrect??

• Love 3
(edited)

Boo Hiss. For some reason, our ABC channel was down for the entire show, and came up again just in time for Wheel of Fortune, which was nothing to cheer about.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did anyone else find AT's pronunciation of the word 'Eloi' in that Time Machine clue to be rather odd ?

Yes!  Didn't he say "ee-low-ee"?  Maybe that's the Frenchified pronunciation.

• Love 5

New champ is OK, but he needs to not get so frustrated when someone beats him on the signaling device. When he was trying to come up with Thurgood Marshall and said 'shoot', I knew then & there I could never be on J! even if I pass the test & auditions, because 'shoot' is not the word that would have come out of my mouth. I can imagine law student William as the type of lawyer who takes a lot of dramatic pauses and bangs his fists on the jury box in indignation. A TV/movie type lawyer. I hated when he nodded his head at his DD before Alex finished reading the clue. 

I was waiting for a Hudson('s) Bay correction also. 

TS I got were Henry the Navigator, Logan's Run, & face palm. I will admit that Trump crossed my mind for a second for FJ but realized 1960 was too early & quickly got Walt Disney. 

17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

So glad Nathan beat the Osmond champ. 

LOL @ Osmond champ!

16 hours ago, teebax said:

Also, I know Nathan had to bet enough to cover the former champ, but I felt like he should've bet more. Thoughts?

I would be the world's worst FJ wagerer because rather than using logic & rules of thumb, I would overanalyze how my fellow contestants performed, and based on the answers they got & missed, what their knowledge of the FJ subject night be. Having said that, I would have bet on William answering correctly, so clearly my strategy sucks. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Trump?  In 1960?  Are you kidding me?

I thought Walt Disney was super obvious.  Also "M.T. Lott" highly amused me and I generally don't like puns.

I didn't think of Walt Disney, although afterward it did seem obvious, but I did at least realize that was too early for Trump.  Hoffa, now, that was a crazy answer, but it got rid of Brandon for me, so I'm good with it.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The TS I got were Logan's Run and

I wanted to say Logan's Run, but I'm familiar with the movie, not the book, and the cut-off age in the movie was 30.  Probably because Michael York did not look 21 at all.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I would be the world's worst FJ wagerer because rather than using logic & rules of thumb, I would overanalyze how my fellow contestants performed, and based on the answers they got & missed, what their knowledge of the FJ subject night be. Having said that, I would have bet on William answering correctly, so clearly my strategy sucks. 

For my FJ, I bet enough to beat the guy in 3rd place if he bet everything.  Which was a mistake, because we all got it wrong.  The champ would still have won, due to a couple of late bad guesses on my part, but at least I'd have been in 2nd place rather than third.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Also "M.T. Lott" highly amused me and I generally don't like puns.

Well I missed the pun completely, so thank you for mentioning it. I'll blame the fact that the TV was still muted when the clue came up, so I didn't get to hear it.

18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I am bothered by "Women _____" and noticed "A Women's Category" on Monday's show, which started off with girdles.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Fex said:

Walt Disney sounds like an evil man and his empire is an evil one.  I already disliked him for being a Nazi sympathizer but, after reading that article, I have all kinds of new reasons to dislike him.

I did, however, say Walt Disney for FJ.  That just seemed like a logical answer.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm actually watching today when I usually just listen because I'm doing chores and I need to find something to do because there is something about all of them that is driving me batshit.

Everyone put your buzzers down below the podium!  Nathan stop making faces when you don't ring in first!  Clint you're not a statue!

Also I don't like that getting a 1600 on her SAT was her story and pie-eating is gross.  And I feel badly because I thought "I'll consider it" was funny but he only got crickets from the audience.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Clint pissed me off when he started in the middle of the category in DJ.  Nathan just plain pissed me off.  I really hoped the woman would win, but oh well!

I admit I had to think just a second for FJ -- mostly to remember which direction latitude is.  Duh.  Once I remembered that, it was incredibly easy.

The only TS I got, though, were David and inflation.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Clint pissed me off when he started in the middle of the category in DJ.  Nathan just plain pissed me off.  I really hoped the woman would win, but oh well!

I admit I had to think just a second for FJ -- mostly to remember which direction latitude is.  Duh.  Once I remembered that, it was incredibly easy.

The only TS I got, though, were David and inflation.

I struggled with fj too before figuring it out. I didn't find it as offensively easy as others, I guess.

I got: Mulligan, David, snails, paper currency,  and Keynes.

Nathan was a bad sport. Clint was irritating but genuinely jolly. I was also rooting for the female contestant.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, teebax said:

I didn't find it as offensively easy as others, I guess.

I didn't call it "offensively easy," and I am the only poster you could be referring to. Sorry, I thought we normally said things on the forum like "FJ was easy for me today" or "I was stumped by FJ today" (which is what happens to me 90% of the time).

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

This ^^^^

I got Mulligan, David, paper currency, free trade, and inflation (missed DD).

FJ was an instaget.  Yay, I've gotten 3 FJ's this week.  Must be a record for me.

• Love 6

I guess I need to brush up on my latitudes and longitudes. I thought latitudes, like rungs on a ladder, went around the Earth, like the equator. So I was trying to think of a long country -- from east to west -- that wasn't large in area. Puerto Rico? New Guinea? I just didn't know.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I guess I need to brush up on my latitudes and longitudes. I thought latitudes, like rungs on a ladder, went around the Earth, like the equator. So I was trying to think of a long country -- from east to west -- that wasn't large in area. Puerto Rico? New Guinea? I just didn't know.

Latitudes do go around the earth as you described. So, in order to span 36 degrees of latitude, you would have to be tall (and since it's also not very big in area, had to be thin). Think of a tall person and a short person standing next to the ladder - the tall person will cover more rungs on the ladder than the short person.

Puerto Rico and New Guinea aren't really long either - they're both fairly small in all directions!

• Love 6
(edited)

I immediately guessed Chile but was then confused by how it was written. I had to read it a couple of times. Maybe I'm just tired...

For TS I got snail, Woody Herman and La Traviata.

I guess it's best Nathan didn't win today because I don't think he could handle more pressure.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't call it "offensively easy," and I am the only poster you could be referring to. Sorry, I thought we normally said things on the forum like "FJ was easy for me today" or "I was stumped by FJ today" (which is what happens to me 90% of the time).

I didn't quote you and wasn't referring to you. Some days I think FJ is offensively easy. Today wasn't that type of day for me.

• Love 2

Mario Andretti has a beautiful voice! 

TS I got were King David & paper currency. FJ took me a second to get because I was thinking east to west also at first.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Starting in the middle in DJ is beginning to be common, unfortunately. I understand why, but it pisses me off too. I was rooting for Megan also, but Clint seems OK. 

• Love 4