Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I was fine with all three contestants.  They mostly started at the top of the categories. 

I didn't get many TS's. My only one was associate for Walmart.

Holy evil companies, Batman! We had Walmart, Monsanto, and Zillow in the same round. Yuck.

I got FJ an unconventional way. I figured the end four letters were land, then once I had Switzerland I had Swaziland, knowing the two first letters. Whatever works! 

Edited by teebax
Forgot fj
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, teebax said:

I got FJ an unconvincing way. I figured the end four letters were land, then once I had Switzerland I had Swaziland, knowing the two first letters. Whatever works! 

Yup. I should have tried your technique. I picked out Luxembourg then tried to make an African country from Lu____ ourg. That wasn't working, so I just gave up.

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My guess is he got mixed up on what category he was on and thought it was "Italian Composers," at least that's what I thought when I was barely paying attention. I was like "Mozart's not Italian! ....oh. Duh."

Thanks. I was wondering what happened with Alex. That makes sense.

I got Gena Rowlands and had a lucky guess with Verdi. I love Fozzy Bear, so I had to giggle when Alex said "Wocka, wocka!"

I said yesterday that Rich seemed to remind me of Jared Kushner, but that didn't seem quite right. Today I thought maybe it was Clay Aiken or Robin Lord Taylor (the Penguin from Gotham), but I still think it's someone else. I guess I shouldn't think about it anymore.

• Love 4

My guess is he got mixed up on what category he was on and thought it was "Italian Composers," at least that's what I thought when I was barely paying attention. I was like "Mozart's not Italian! ....oh. Duh."

Thanks for clarifying that! I had the same reaction because I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I'm heartbroken Gena Rowlands was a TS. That woman is a national treasure. I also got Verdi and the Paleozoic DD. FJ was a near instaget and I'm floored because I NEVER know clues like that. Identifying Switzerland first was the key for me.

• Love 2

For the FJ category "Landlocked Countries" my first thought was Chad.  That didn't fit the clue, though, so Switzerland -> Swaziland.

Ah, Verdi.  Joe Green made good music.

• Love 4

I spent the entire second round grinning over the Darmok reference--one of the best Star Trek episodes that doesn't get nearly enough attention even within the fandom. I got FJ right away, even though geography is one of my worst subjects. 

• Love 6

This was a much better game than yesterday. Rich was again impeccably dressed, and the 2 challengers were pretty good. I hope that the new champion selects clues faster in her subsequent game(s).

TS I got were dove/stove; Gena Rowlands (I thought her name was pronounced 'Gina'); Verdi; Vivaldi. Although I guessed Verdi until it was correct, then switched to Vivaldi..lol

5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Same here - on all points

4 hours ago, ABay said:

"Shaka" "When the walls fell" ... Is that a reference to the ST:TNG episode "Darmok"?

I expected the next category to be Khan!

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yes, she gets to keep it because it wasn't her fault the first guy was ruled incorrect initially.  She wouldn't be penalized because he was later ruled as being correct, too.

Makes sense. I hope they bring alliterative Scott back. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't write down any TS that I got, but I did get the missed DD of Paleozoic.

I didn't get it, but I would expect Rich, whose minor was archeology, to have answered correctly. 

2 hours ago, teebax said:

I got FJ an unconvincing way. I figured the end four letters were land, then once I had Switzerland I had Swaziland, knowing the two first letters. Whatever works! 

That's exactly how I got it! 

• Love 2

Yes, the son, Felix is now writing the Dick Francis mysteries. But it was his wife, Mary, who actually "wrote" his books, relying on Dick's horse racing knowledge. Dick left school at 15 with no qualifications after a very rudimentary education. His wife was always an avid reader and writer who got a degree in French and English at 19 after only two year's study, and who later worked as a publisher's reader. It is my understanding that Dick wanted to give her credit but she said no.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, teebax said:

I initially went with Austria (where my family's from), quickly ran through the countries I knew - then I went to Switzerland - right next door -  and Swaziland popped up. I don't ever think of Swaziland.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Yes, the son, Felix is now writing the Dick Francis mysteries. But it was his wife, Mary, who actually "wrote" his books, relying on Dick's horse racing knowledge. Dick left school at 15 with no qualifications after a very rudimentary education. His wife was always an avid reader and writer who got a degree in French and English at 19 after only two year's study, and who later worked as a publisher's reader. It is my understanding that Dick wanted to give her credit but she said no.

I stopped reading after Mary died. Her role was revealed at that point, and I was pretty ticked off. Plus the next books weren't good.  If your understanding is correct, then I take back my disdain for the lack of credit (though not for the lack of good writing).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

What was the question about tagalog? It's my mother tongue, I missed the question! lol

ONLINE LEARNING $1000: internetpolyglot.com can help you learn languages like this one, the basis for Pilipino

12 hours ago, teebax said:

I didn't get many TS's. My only one was associate for Walmart.

Holy evil companies, Batman! We had Walmart, Monsanto, and Zillow in the same round. Yuck.

Haha, stockholder was so very wrong for "Employment at Walmart makes you not just a worker but this." In my house we said lots of mean things at the expense of Walmart for this one because it is horrible to its employees.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dcalley said:

ONLINE LEARNING $1000: internetpolyglot.com can help you learn languages like this one, the basis for Pilipino

Haha, stockholder was so very wrong for "Employment at Walmart makes you not just a worker but this." In my house we said lots of mean things at the expense of Walmart for this one because it is horrible to its employees.

My sister is a manager there and has tons of stock, but they don't do that for their associates.

• Love 2

Hey, Gavin, you really don't need to spread out over all three podiums, you know.  I have to say I was rooting for either of the women instead of him, but he did play a good game.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget -- I had to think for about four seconds before it came to me -- but it was fairly easy for me.

I also got Civil Disobedience, Bob Schieffer (though I had to look up the spelling), game reserve, Three Wise Men At Work (which cracked me up), and steel.  Surprised that Sara Jane didn't know Pittsburgh = steel. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Surprised that Sara Jane didn't know Pittsburgh = steel. 

I didn't either. Then again, I can't even keep Pittsburgh and Philadelphia straight - they both start with P and therefore I perpetually confuse the two. I'll chalk it up to not being American.

The FJs have been really easy this week.

• Love 3

My notes from this episode:

Kelly chooses way more slowly than I realized yesterday. I'm not unhappy she lost. I can't tell you how many times I yelled, "just pick something!" I wonder what it's like to grocery shop with people like that. It must take hours.

My gets were Hanoi, Wiesbaden (a former Army station of mine), Bob Schieffer, revisionist history, game reserve, three wise men at work, implosion, Dan Marino (of course), Fidel Castro, and the inexplicable DD miss of steel. Industry + Pittsburgh = steel (at least on Jeopardy.) I wonder if Sara-Jane forgot the category.

Also, I was finished with Kelly when she guessed someone could hit 191 home runs in a season. I don't care if it's unfair of me, if you ring in on a baseball clue and make a guess that bad, I'm finished with you.

FJ was an instaget. I used to second-guess myself when FJ seemed obvious, but these days it's almost a 50-50 chance of being easy, at least to me. Based on board posts, some of you feel the same, right?

• Love 7

Aw, I was hoping Sara-Jane, the self proclaimed nerd, would win.

I got Hanoi, Civil Disobedience, game reserve, implosion (missed DD), and steel (another missed DD).  Hello, Pittsburgh Steelers anyone?

For FJ, I initially said Fidel Castro, but "crossed it off" because, for some inexplicable reason, I always thought he was short.  *facepalm*

• Love 7

I was cheering for Sara Jane too, and I thought Alex was unnecessarily condescending about the two DDs she missed.

For TS I got Hanoi, game reserve and Dan Marino. I couldn't remember the title Civil Disobedience to save my life. FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2

I wish I had paid more attention to this ep. (I was playing a game while sorta watching.) I always like those Before and After categories or whatever that one category was.

I was sure the German resort town they were looking for was Baden-Baden. Well, I got half right.

For Traci Ellis Ross all I could remember was Ross. I don't think that would have been enough.

I got FJ. Yay me.

• Love 3
(edited)

Gavin looks almost exactly like Dr. Toothbrush (Dr. T is taller, slimmer, and has no earring), so I was rooting for him. I liked Sara-Jane a lot too and loved her top. 

TS I got were Weisbaden, game reserve, missed DDs of implosion & steel, and Dan Marino. FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the words scraggly beard. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

Mr.Trey got in first with Castro so I didn't even have to do any thinking since that sounded right to me.  I know he almost made it into major league baseball so I figured he was tall.

I liked Sara-Jane and always cheer on fellow Canadians; but she really should have known Pittsburgh=steel. Surely she's heard the phrase "Pittsburgh is the Hamilton (Ontario) of the US.":)

New champ seems okay.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, teebax said:

My gets were Hanoi, Wiesbaden (a former Army station of mine), Bob Schieffer, revisionist history, game reserve, three wise men at work, implosion, Dan Marino (of course), Fidel Castro, and the inexplicable DD miss of steel. Industry + Pittsburgh = steel (at least on Jeopardy.) I wonder if Sara-Jane forgot the category.

Also, I was finished with Kelly when she guessed someone could hit 191 home runs in a season. I don't care if it's unfair of me, if you ring in on a baseball clue and make a guess that bad, I'm finished with you.

We were never stationed at Wiesbaden, but we certainly went there more than once for medical tests we couldn't get at our smaller posts. Did I mis-hear, or did she actually say the word "Baden" in the clue? She said bath - so maybe I just filled it in.

The mister was almost finished with me, because I said the same thing (191 home runs) - but I wouldn't have rung in and don't pay attention at all to baseball. 

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For FJ, I initially said Fidel Castro, but "crossed it off" because, for some inexplicable reason, I always thought he was short.  *facepalm*

The height threw me, since I never thought he was tall either - but then I've only seen him on TV. But the date, olive skin, and scraggly beard managed to coalese into the correct answer. No last names only for this one - I noticed one of them squeezed "Fidel" in, when they'd originally only written Castro.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, teebax said:

FJ was an instaget. I used to second-guess myself when FJ seemed obvious, but these days it's almost a 50-50 chance of being easy, at least to me. Based on board posts, some of you feel the same, right?

Agreed, especially in the last few months it seems like the first instinct is usually correct, and if I try to "overthink" it, it's way wrong. Sometimes I will know nothing about the category but still be able to work out the clue because they give lots of clues within the clue (Clueception) :-P

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

What's the difference between "Potpourri" and "Hodge Podge" ? Also, haven't they had like a "this and that" category?

No difference...they just like switching up the names sometimes. They used to have a category "leftovers", which were leftover clues from previous games. I also remember categories where you had to do them in order (all I remember is that when you did them in order, the answers were Ra Rah Sis Boom Baa in one category). I also remember once in "single" Jeopardy where the answer to the top clue was "Eagle" for all categories.

• Love 2

I remember one where the answer was the same thing for the first 4 clues and then they switched it up on the last clue. Or the answers will all be the same word but for the first letter, i.e., ram, ham, lam, jam, dam.

Frankly, I've always thought those potpourri/hodgepodge were the same as leftovers - unrevealed clues from previous shows (or that 6th clue that now shows up in the J6 game.)

I have a question about that Amazon Alexa/play J! at home game ad...why does Kelly touch Jimmy's thigh when she says, "What is Nash Bridges?"

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Trey said:

Mr.Trey got in first with Castro so I didn't even have to do any thinking since that sounded right to me.  I know he almost made it into major league baseball so I figured he was tall.

I liked Sara-Jane and always cheer on fellow Canadians; but she really should have known Pittsburgh=steel. Surely she's heard the phrase "Pittsburgh is the Hamilton (Ontario) of the US.":)

New champ seems okay.

I've never heard that phrase! I've only heard Hamilton compared to Brooklyn, NY (and when I visited Brooklyn, I was surprised at how apt the comparison is!)

I had no idea one way or the other about Castro's height. I pondered on the year for a second or two, and then it clicked for me - the beard part of the clue just confirmed it.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a question about that Amazon Alexa/play J! at home game ad...why does Kelly touch Jimmy's thigh when she says, "What is Nash Bridges?"

Haha, I have always wondered if she is touching his leg or the furniture. I have a tiny, old TV, though. The most recent time I noticed it I was actually watching on a modern flat screen and I said, "she IS touching his leg!"

• Love 2

I thought we were back to "women with flowers in their hair", but it wasn't in her hair--it was attached to her glasses! How does she even see past it; it seemed to be right in front of her eye?!! It was distracting. Glad she's gone.

• Love 15
(edited)

I want to slap the cute guy in the middle for betting the farm on the DD and not getting "excruciating." Hey, buddy, you know that story you told about your parents not being happy about the TV whatever class you took? Well, you just bested that story. They really hate you now.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 10

I wear glasses and I was so distracted by that stupid flower that I could barely concentrate on the game.  I have no idea how she could see anything -- I can't imagine walking around with something purposely affixed to my specs. 

Gavin still bugs me.  I hoped that cute guy in the middle (tm @Spunkygal) would win, but alas, he had some boneheaded guesses near the end.  Like crucifixion instead of excruciating.  I got that, along with peeled/pealed, Walter Cronkite and bioterrorism.  I guess they couldn't hear me shouting Walter Cronkite at my TV.

FJ was not an instaget, but I came up with it in time to write it down.

• Love 8

Watching the guy miss 'excruciating' was painful.

I inexplicably said Leonard Nimoy for FJ. His name came to me immediately - I couldn't remember the years exactly, but they seemed about right for Star Trek movies. Obviously whole Academy Award part of the clue didn't fit, though, but I couldn't think of anyone else.

• Love 5

Ugh,  that ugly flower sticking out at the side of Jill's head. Made me think of one of those little side microphones with a misguided sense of direction. 

TS I got were pealing/peeling, longshoreman and approachable and DD of excruciating. I can't believe the middle guy didn't get that. Not a good time for a gutsy wager. 

Sad to say I had no clue for FJ. And said "duhhh" when Alex revealed the answer.

• Love 6

My first thought was "Egads!  Not another flower!"  Sorry Terry had that excruciatingly bad answer.  At least he was gutsy with his wagering and was good natured about his fail.  Gavin bugs me, too.  He kind of twirls his buzzer when he's answering like an authoritarian and stares at himself in the monitor.

I got pealed/peeled, Walter Cronkite, and excruciating (missed DD).

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hee. I've noticed that too! 

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I thought we were back to "women with flowers in their hair", but it wasn't in her hair--it was attached to her glasses! 

I turned in just a bit late and wasn't sure that was a flower. Its placement reminded me of those mini side mirrors some bicyclists wear, so I wondered if she had some kind of eye problem.

Like everyone else, I was aghast when Terry didn't get excruciating. Wow. 

I got pealed/peeled and approachable. I think I just barely got longshoreman before Alex said it.

It took just a sec for me to get FJ. The years got me there quickly.

Was anyone else bugged by the answer What is Korea? And then Alex says, "South Korea, yes." That's definitely a BMS. 

• Love 8
(edited)
22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Was anyone else bugged by the answer What is Korea? And then Alex says, "South Korea, yes." That's definitely a BMS. 

Absolutely. Those are two very, very different countries. Jeez. Ruling that correct was only okay if it's  going to be okay to say "Dakota," "Carolina," and "Virginia" for any questions about those states.

The flower bugged big time. 

I got FJ easy peasy - not so much because I know the franchise that well, but I did know Rocky, and though I didn't see Creed, I knew Stallone had played Rocky again recently.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Jill & the flower - just no. And distracting. 

TS I got were pealed/peeled; Walter Cronkite (guess after the wrong responses); longshoreman; missed DD of excruciating (poor cute guy, but it was fairly easy to work out, at least from my living room ;-)  )

Surprised that Korea did not get a BMS.

I vaguely remembered an actor being nominated after several years for the same role but could not remember who it was. It was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush which surprised the hell out of me since he does not pay any attention to the Oscars. 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I started screaming "WRONG!!!!" like I was the SNL version of John McLaughlin.

We say that all the time...lol!! Dr. Toothbrush wanted to name one of our twin daughters Eleanor, just so he could say 'Eleanor gee I think you're swellanore Toothbrush' like the real John McLaughlin used to say to Eleanor Clift. But we stuck to the plan and named them after their twin 3x great aunts, and their names coincidentally also start with 'E' 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, ABay said:

Has anyone seen my eyeballs? They rolled right out of my head at the sight of Jill and her clip on flower.

Well, she did get married on a roller coaster! 

• Love 6

but she really should have known Pittsburgh=steel. Surely she's heard the phrase "Pittsburgh is the Hamilton (Ontario) of the US.":)

Or seen the movie Flashdance???

I'll forgive her for not knowing the Pittsburg Steelers. Barely. Or watching DWTS :)

• Love 2