Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I learned today that a saluki is a dog. I looked up pictures, and it's a fine-looking breed. I like Susan but doubt she'll repeat. 

Having gone to many a Northern Illinois University homecoming game, I know (for that reason) that (a) Saluki is a dog and (b) it is the mascot of Southern Illinois University! BTW, NIU's mascot is Victor E. Huskie (yes, we spell it with an "ie"). I also got the "Old Maids" and "Mighty Mo" TS

• Love 2

I don't like the new champ. She didn't seem to pay any attention to the names of the categories, thereby making some horrible guesses.

I didn't keep track, but I'd say she missed five or six answers due to forgetting the category. It was frustrating to watch her do it over and over.

Can't say I'll miss Jon, though. He really lost me a couple of days ago during FJ when he was hanging his head like he got it wrong. The game was a runaway, so he was giving the impression that he not only missed FJ, but pulled a Cliff Claven and bet a lot. But he only made a small wager and also got the answer right, so apparently he was just being a showoff. Buh bye. 

• Love 3

When I was in my 20s, I had a friend who was from Finland. When he and his Finn buddies would hang out, they called each other "Lapp" like American guys would call each other "bro." I hadn't thought of that in years, but it came flying back when I read the FJ clue. I had no idea it's vaguely un-PC these days, but it made me laugh that something buried 30 years could come zinging back like that, and the strange sources from which we get knowledge.

• Love 5

I wish more things had stuck with me over my many many years. That's one thing that people like Ken Jennings are gifted with, the ability to retain knowledge. And yet it's funny how we remember some bit of trivia while forgetting so much else.

• Love 3

That was actually an exciting ending on Friday. 

She reached the "more than half" his total on the very last clue.  If she had missed or not answered correctly, he would have won despite FJ, most likely. 

• Love 2

That was a bad game! You know it's bad when Alex is telling the contestants "if you don't know the category don't start at the bottom"! In the "makes sense" category, if the character's name is "Coach" and his job is "Coach" (see, "makes sense"!), then "gym teacher" should not have been accepted, even if coaches are generally gym teachers (or vice versa)!

• Love 20

Hooray for Alex telling them to start at the tops of categories! 

FJ was an instaget for me, and apparently for all the contestants.  But otherwise, that was not a good game -- I really didn't think the former champ would be in FJ.

Rich, the new champ, reminds me a lot of a young Wil Wheaton.  I was shocked, though, when he missed the DD of Dylan Thomas in the Welsh writers category.  Welsh writers = Dylan Thomas.

I also got HTML, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and Dick Francis.  I'm not particularly a fan of mysteries, but I like the ones he wrote.  I think because of all the research he did into the backgrounds of his characters.  Also that it isn't the same characters in every book.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

That was a bad game! You know it's bad when Alex is telling the contestants "if you don't know the category don't start at the bottom"! In the "makes sense" category, if the character's name is "Coach" and his job is "Coach" (see, "makes sense"!), then "gym teacher" should not have been accepted, even if coaches are generally gym teachers (or vice versa)!

A gym teacher isn't necessarily a coach and vice versa.  I haven't seen the show so I have no idea if the character was both.

Congrats to new champ Rich, but that was a terrible game -- 2 contestants in the red at end of the Jeopardy round, many TS.
For example, a rock named after a snake -- I couldn't spit out serpentine quick enough.

Not impressed at all with the defending champ Susan.

FJ was an instaget for me too.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, there's a half-hour of my life I won't get back.

My gets were: cryptic (and I wrote in my notebook at that point, start at the top!); serpentine; Tagalog; The Marques of Queensbury; Samantha Who; coach (and, no, a gym teacher is NOT the same as a coach; I coach my school's basketball team and am not a gym teacher); Grover Cleveland (how'd he miss that one?); Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone; Sam Smith; Annie Lennox; and Dylan Thomas. FJ was an instaget; I've got dimples all over the place, and it's usually the first thing people compliment me on.

ETA here's hoping Alex does more chastising about not starting at the top, particularly when the contestants are blankly staring at the screen or making wild-ass guesses.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 10
37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was a little surprised, but really glad that he did that.  I wonder if the J! staff is reading this forum?

• Love 9

What a horrible, painful game.  Thank you, Alex!  Start at the top, you dumbasses!  I wish he'd say this more often.

I hope Rich is a one and done.  Who in their right mind thinks the only two countries worthy of visiting after graduating from law school are Syria and Lybia?  They haven't been safe to visit for at least a decade and he's pretty young.  

I got serpentine, HDML, Tagalog, Gosling and Stone, and Dylan Thomas (missed DD).

FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I hope Rich is a one and done.  Who in their right mind thinks the only two countries worthy of visiting after graduating from law school are Syria and Lybia?  They haven't been safe to visit for at least a decade and he's pretty young.  

I don't remember the interview verbatim, but wasn't he referring to something about what he studied in college? I seem to remember him talking about architecture or some such.

• Love 2

Indeed. Beyond knowing it makes for pretty dull viewing experience, I imagine he was pretty annoyed himself.

I knew Susan would be a one-and-done but her performance was downright embarrassing. Rich must have felt like a genius against those two but given the weakness of the competition, he should proceed with caution to the next game.

I only got three TS: serpentine, HTML, and Sam Smith. FJ was an instaget.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think Alex told contestants at least once before to start at the top.

Rich, the new champ, reminds me a lot of a young Wil Wheaton. 

I think the person he reminds me of is Jared Kushner.

I could not think of Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling. If I had 10 more minutes maybe I would have remembered their names. Same with Samantha Who. And Dick Francis.

Otherwise, I just got serpentine, html, and Tagalog, which I have to learn how to pronounce.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I don't remember the interview verbatim, but wasn't he referring to something about what he studied in college? I seem to remember him talking about architecture or some such.

I thought he said archaeology, which does make sense for those locations, I guess. But maybe it was a specific type of architecture - as basically archaeological sites are all around the world. 
That may have been the single worst game of Jeopardy I've ever seen. 

I said Java instead of HTML. Of course that was wrong - it's Javascript that's used on the internet, Java is a different programming language. I get my Javas mixed up now and again.

I ran the Fascist category - which worries me a tad. I nearly ran the Welsh authors - but got hung up on the one I knew the best - Dick Francis. Sheesh.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

He did say archaeology. There are lots of regional archaeology specialties, so I'm not surprised by someone focusing on the Middle East. Plus, with the destruction and illegal looting (in part fueled by the market demand of entities like Hobby Lobby), there's potentialy a limited duration on visiting some of these places. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

Coach was hired as a gym teacher at the school, so IMO, it was rightfully accepted as a correct answer. 

Alex should've given a better explanation, for those of us who've never seen that show! I think he implied they are the same thing. I'm three drinks in, so my memory is a bit foggy about it.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought he said archaeology, which does make sense for those locations, I guess. But maybe it was a specific type of architecture - as basically archaeological sites are all around the world. 

I knew it was one of the "arcs." LOL

• Love 6
2 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Coach was hired as a gym teacher at the school, so IMO, it was rightfully accepted as a correct answer. 

It's literally the only episode of the New Girl I have seen because my friend knew of my love of Damon Wayans Jr. so tried to use that ep as a gateway, it didn't work, and I cried foul when he was initially ruled incorrect.

• Love 3

Bad game, bad. Mr. Author and I said "Dimples" together, but he wouldn't make a pinky-wish. What is it with older guys? :)

I didn't know Dick Francis was Welch, but I got it from the clue. Good thing, or I'd have to resign as a mystery author.

• Love 4
(edited)

Boy that game was painful. I knew Susan would be a one and done champion, but I did not expect her to flame out so spectacularly. Alyssa made a good comeback though. Rich reminded me of Sheldon Cooper.

Huzzah for Alex advising the contestants that perhaps starting at the top would assist them in understanding the theme of the category. 

TS I got were serpentine ("serpentine Shel"), tagalog (not to be confused with the Girl Scout cookie tagalongs), Samantha Who?, Grover Cleveland (missed DD - how??), Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone, Annie Lennox. FJ was an instaget. I have dimples and as soon as my older sister learned that they are considered a genetic defect you would have thought I was Frankenstein's monster. 

12 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

I didn't know Dick Francis was Welch, but I got it from the clue. Good thing, or I'd have to resign as a mystery author.

I thought about you during that category. There were a couple of clues about mystery writers. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Alex seems to be under the impression that Dick Francis is  alive!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I got were serpentine ("serpentine Shel")...

The other day I was walking with my sister thru a parking lot, zig-zagging betw the cars, and I cried, "SERPENTINE!"

... tagalog (not to be confused with the Girl Scout cookie tagalongs)

Yes, that's the pronunciation I give it. Not remembering exactly how Alex said it, I looked it up. Teh-GAH-log. Typing out the phonetic, I'll remember now.

• Love 6

I totally cried foul when they didn't take gym teacher at first!  I was already fired up because I said "malleable" just as Rich did for the copper adjective clue, which they said was "ductile".  I thought for sure the judges would come back on that one as well.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went WILD at my house!  We are totally Jeopardy nerds.  I thought that the studio audience would be standing, clapping, and cheering.  I wish they could go back and show us that.  As well as the audience saying to the contestants, "You suck!"

• Love 5
(edited)

I missed Friday's game so this was my first sight of Susan.  Based on her play in this game I'm surprised she won on Friday.

Was serpentine a ts?  If so, then I got it.  I already knew it was a rock but the clue almost told you what it was - snakelike - what other word describes that?

I also got the ts's of Samantha Who and Dick Francis and the missed dd of Dylan Thomas.  And FJ was an instage as it apparently was for everyone:)

I said tensile instead of ductile - would that have been accepted?

As we are breezing through the Fascism category Mr.Trey asks "are they really dumbing down the clues?" - I point out that when you know the answers they are easy and if you don't then they are hard.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
(edited)

Dick Francis rode Queen Mother Elizabeth’s horse Devon Loch at the Grand National in 1956.  The horse “inexplicably jumped into the air and landed on his stomach.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fPLtL8h7s

Clarifying the quotation: the horse landed on his own stomach, not his rider's. Dick Francis retired from the turf after that and became a writer.  Devon Loch lived another six years.

Edited by Driad
  • Love 5

The game was pretty horrible, but I was OK with end-guy winning (couldn't be bothered to remember his name) just to see if today's suit looks as good as yesterday's did.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I was already fired up because I said "malleable" just as Rich did for the copper adjective clue, which they said was "ductile".  I thought for sure the judges would come back on that one as well.

Me, too!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, teebax said:

Well, there's a half-hour of my life I won't get back.

My gets were: cryptic (and I wrote in my notebook at that point, start at the top!); serpentine; Tagalog; The Marques of Queensbury; Samantha Who; coach (and, no, a gym teacher is NOT the same as a coach; I coach my school's basketball team and am not a gym teacher); Grover Cleveland (how'd he miss that one?); Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone; Sam Smith; Annie Lennox; and Dylan Thomas. FJ was an instaget; I've got dimples all over the place, and it's usually the first thing people compliment me on.

ETA here's hoping Alex does more chastising about not starting at the top, particularly when the contestants are blankly staring at the screen or making wild-ass guesses.

I didn't get cryptic or serpentine (I didn't know it was a type of mineral), and I had no idea about any characters from New Girl because I've never seen it.  But I did get the rest, easily.  Well, except the Marques of Queensbury - which just makes me want to see the Mike Tyson mystery thing.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Driad said:

Dick Francis rode Queen Mother Elizabeth’s horse Devon Loch at the Grand National in 1956.  The horse “inexplicably jumped into the air and landed on his stomach.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fPLtL8h7s

Clarifying the quotation: the horse landed on his own stomach, not his rider's. Dick Francis retired from the turf after that and became a writer.  Devon Loch lived another six years.

I've read about that incident, but never saw the footage until now.  That was freaky.  The horse did, indeed, seem to jump straight up into the air, the way my cats sometimes do when they're startled.

Count me in as one who didn't know that Dick Francis was Welsh even though he was one of my favorite writers.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, that's the pronunciation I give it. Not remembering exactly how Alex said it, I looked it up. Teh-GAH-log. Typing out the phonetic, I'll remember now.

Since it has been mentioned a couple of times - in Tagalog, for three-syllable words it is usually the middle syllable that gets the emphasis.

So....what was that long pause after "What is Mozart?" Did Alex (a) zone out  (b) forget what he should say  (c) want to say "be more specific" and then realize that that was stupid or (d) all of the above?

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, illdoc said:

So....what was that long pause after "What is Mozart?" Did Alex (a) zone out  (b) forget what he should say  (c) want to say "be more specific" and then realize that that was stupid or (d) all of the above?

My guess is he got mixed up on what category he was on and thought it was "Italian Composers," at least that's what I thought when I was barely paying attention. I was like "Mozart's not Italian! ....oh. Duh."

I worked out FJ pretty quickly but I mostly credit the fact that I took a class on Africa in college.

• Love 3

Scenario:  Contestant B guesses and is told he's wrong.  Loses $1200.  Contestant C guesses and is told she is correct and is given $1200.  After commercial break, Alex tells B, we were wrong, you will be credited the $1200.  Am I right that Contestant C gets to keep her $1200 as well.  Because if my quickly scratched out calculations are correct (and there is a reason I was never a mathlete) the guy in the middle tonight would have been unbeatable if the woman who actually won had not been credited that $1200.  Instead of 11,400, she would have had 10,200 and even by doubling her score she couldn't have reached his $21,400.  

If that is true, I wonder if they'd let him play again.  

• Love 2

Damn it!  A stupid baseball game preempted Jeopardy! and they're not showing it in the middle of the night like they usually do.  Boo hiss!

Fortunately, the J Archives were up so I got to sort of play along.  I didn't keep track of TS's.  I'm glad to see Rich lost.

FJ was almost an instaget.  My first thought was Switzerland and then - aha! - Swaziland.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Scenario:  Contestant B guesses and is told he's wrong.  Loses $1200.  Contestant C guesses and is told she is correct and is given $1200.  After commercial break, Alex tells B, we were wrong, you will be credited the $1200.  Am I right that Contestant C gets to keep her $1200 as well.  Because if my quickly scratched out calculations are correct (and there is a reason I was never a mathlete) the guy in the middle tonight would have been unbeatable if the woman who actually won had not been credited that $1200.  Instead of 11,400, she would have had 10,200 and even by doubling her score she couldn't have reached his $21,400.  

If that is true, I wonder if they'd let him play again.  

Yes, she gets to keep it because it wasn't her fault the first guy was ruled incorrect initially.  She wouldn't be penalized because he was later ruled as being correct, too.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, ABay said:

"Shaka" "When the walls fell" ... Is that a reference to the ST:TNG episode "Darmok"?

Yes! Had to be! That is what I came over here to post about.

• Love 4

It doesn't hurt my feelings that Rich lost.  His smirking at the beginning kind of annoyed me.  And he took an awfully long time to pick clues.

I didn't write down any TS that I got, but I did get the missed DD of Paleozoic.

Clearly I need to brush up on African geography, because I was stumped for FJ.  I guess they can't all be as easy as dimples.

• Love 2