Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were Calgary, Alice B. Tolkas (he should have just given the last name)...

And wasn't it he who also said "Revere"? I know that's acceptable, but it sounded so strange to me without the Paul.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Sweet Pea (or Swee' Pea?),

Swee' Pea is how I've always seen it. Besides, the clue mentioned that both parts of the name rhymed with "free" (sweet does not rhyme).

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jim Bowie!  I knew there was a TS I was flabbergasted at.

They spotted them the name James in the clue, for cod's sack.

It's worse than you think---they didn't spot them "James", they spotted them "JIM" (He's dead, Jim)!!!

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jim Bowie!  I knew there was a TS I was flabbergasted at.

They spotted them the name James in the clue, for cod's sack.

Yes, spotted James and I still said Davy Crockett.  Just recently Davy Crockett was the correct answer to a clue that said (more or less) "at this time he was just prince of the wild frontier" - that really amused me:)

My ts's were Calgary, means, Swee Pea, James VI and Baden Powell.

Pretty nearly an instaget FJ; it was the tongue twister part of the clue that gave it to me; I vaguely know where the Seychelles are but that part of the clue didn't really help much.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, illdoc said:

they spotted them "JIM" (He's dead, Jim)

See, that's why I went wrong.  I thought they were telling Jim that Davy Crockett was dead. 

• Love 3

Boo, hiss, Jon wins again.  And for no reason I can think of, Wimbledon was the first and only thing that came to mind.  Even after I thought about it for a few seconds, I couldn't think of anything else that would have a quarterfinals and possibly be in England where they have tea. 

I couldn't believe Jon missed Monaco, though.  Isn't it common knowledge that Grimaldi = Monaco?  I also got his other missed DD of Tennessee Valley Authority, but wondered if they would have accepted TVA, since that's what people usually call it.  And somehow, I came up with cadaver as well.  No idea except for the medical student hint.

• Love 9

I'm over the board hopping. Ugh.

My gets were cadaver,  the entire Confucius category, Howard's End, and James Boswell. FJ was an instaget for me.

WAs Jon trying to be funny at the end? I thought maybe his conservative wagering bit him.

• Love 6
On 7/4/2017 at 7:48 PM, Temperance said:

I got FJ which was also a TS. (Category was Classic Children's literature) Seriously shocked!  And it was so easy. I thought they would be looking for the author. (It was the way they phrased the question but then the category would  women children's literature authors. ) 

My 8 year old got it! Although we have the book memorized and our copy is held together with duck tape, might have something to do with it.
Said 8 year old also got The Hobbit when I said Lord of the Rings and he was sothrilled to be right and I was wrong.

• Love 7

Except for the board-jumping, Jon doesn't bother me either. I appreciate his range of knowledge, though there are odd gaps here and there.

I got 'evil' in the Confucious quote, and Tennessee Valley Authority. I'm pissed I said Pepys instead of Boswell. I've always gotten the Boswell clues right. I don't know what was wrong with me.

• Love 3

Enough with the board hopping! 

Jon is growing on me, but I really wanted him to lose after he pronounced the word praline with a long a. Nails on a chalkboard to this New Orleanian. I liked both Liz & Rishi, but the way Liz held the signaling device seems like it would cramp one's index finger. 

TS I got were rice, evil (both guesses but I thought fairly obvious), Monaco (missed DD), Howard's End. I said Peyps instead of Boswell too. FJ was almost an instaget - for a moment I wondered if Lipton sponsored a sporting tournament, then went with Wimbledon. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Jon is growing on me, but I really wanted him to lose after he pronounced the word praline with a long a.

This Midwesterner has never heard it any way. Enlighten me!

The cricket answer im FnJ was a good one. A friend who follows it tells me that they actually take time out during cricket matches for tea breaks. I love it.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm pissed I said Pepys instead of Boswell

I did too, even though I knew it wasn't Pepys, who was about a century earlier than Boswell.  But I just couldn't pull Boswell out of my brain.

7 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

The cricket answer im FnJ was a good one. A friend who follows it tells me that they actually take time out during cricket matches for tea breaks. I love it.

I've always pronounced it "pray-leen" -  is that not correct?  Or did Jon say "prah-leen"?  (I can't remember.)

• Love 3

The second goof was him saying "Hundred Year War," whereas I've always known it as the Hundred Years' War.

That bugged me also.

No one got Boswell or Howards' End :-(  

The only reason I've heard of Seychelles is that's where William and Kate honeymooned. Just me? Probably just me. LOL

Heh, that's probably why I knew it.  But I'm sure my spelling would have been way off. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

prah-leen (first syllable rhymes with bra) 

I liked Rishi's FJ answer too. A tea break in the middle of a match sounds so proper :-) 

17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've always pronounced it "pray-leen" -  is that not correct?  Or did Jon say "prah-leen"?  (I can't remember.)

Jon said pray-leen. I guess 'correct' is relative, but in NOLA we say 'prah-leen' and that is where they (American version) originated. So we're right..lol!! 

• Love 4

I've always said pray-leen.  I didn't know otherwise. 

Most of those Confucious quote were just common sense and seemed cliché.  Reminds me of the movie Mystery Men when Ben Stiller keeps finishing the clichéd quotes of their advisor. 

I don't mind the current champ and don't mind them going to the middle of the board either.  Not my preference on how they would do it, but it doesn't really bother me then they start mid category.  I am sure they think their is some strategy there. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Jon said pray-leen. I guess 'correct' is relative, but in NOLA we say 'prah-leen' and that is where they (American version) originated. So we're right..lol!! 

I will try to remember that in the future.  ;-)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Jon is growing on me, but I really wanted him to lose after he pronounced the word praline with a long a. Nails on a chalkboard to this New Orleanian.

Sorry, but I just can't say prah-leens. Maybe if I lived in NOLA for a few years I would adjust to it. OTOH, I can say either PEE-cans or pee-CAHNS.

FJ was almost an instaget - for a moment I wondered if Lipton sponsored a sporting tournament, then went with Wimbledon. 

Hee. Me too. 

• Love 4

Coincidence that Wimbledon is running right now?  I couldn't get excited by free tea for life since it most likely is served in a Styrofoam cup. 

Except for the board hopping, I like Jon.  He's quiet, smart, has no annoying tics or mannerisms, isn't smarmy or show offish.  I also say pray-leen.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Most of those Confucious quote were just common sense and seemed cliché.  Reminds me of the movie Mystery Men when Ben Stiller keeps finishing the clichéd quotes of their advisor. 

True enough, but when quotes survive for 2500 years or so (500-400 BC or thereabouts) they're going to sound cliche to us. Shakespeare quotes are often the same. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Sorry, but I just can't say prah-leens. Maybe if I lived in NOLA for a few years I would adjust to it. OTOH, I can say either PEE-cans or pee-CAHNS.

I can (and do) say pralines both ways - but I'm definitely in the pee-cahns group (though it's more puh-cahns when I say it) - even if I did grow up with a strong southern influence.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Coincidence that Wimbledon is running right now?  I couldn't get excited by free tea for life since it most likely is served in a Styrofoam cup.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and it's an example of the home audience having an advantage over the players, I think. It's hot at Wimbledon right now (mid-80s!), so I think iced tea is in order.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm definitely in the pee-cahns group (though it's more puh-cahns when I say it)

The nuts are pee-cans, but you put them in puh-cahn pie. ;-)

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

prah-leen (first syllable rhymes with bra) 

I liked Rishi's FJ answer too. A tea break in the middle of a match sounds so proper :-) 

I've never heard prah-leen before, only pray-leen. Wikipedia says that prah-leen is specific to NOLA, Cajun English and UK English, and the rest of the world apparently uses pray-leen.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I've never heard prah-leen before, only pray-leen. Wikipedia says that prah-leen is specific to NOLA, Cajun English and UK English, and the rest of the world apparently uses pray-leen.

OK, all you pray-leen people are forgiven ;-) I have a Cajun great-uncle (100 years old!), who calls them pecan (pah-cawn) candy. 

• Love 2

Oh, hooray!  And we may not even have to see him at the TOC, right?  Was this his fifth game or sixth?  Not that the new champ is much better in terms of starting at the bottoms of categories, but it does not hurt my feelings in the slightest that Jon lost.  Incidentally, Inuit?  Horrible guess, since they are North American natives.  FJ was an instaget for me.

This would have been a decent game but for the board-hopping and the game-slowing by Jon.  I get that taking forever to pick the next clue is a strategy, but I'd rather see the board cleared than wait around for days for the next clue to be picked.  Anyway, it didn't seem like there were too many TS, but I did get Maui and old maids.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, hooray!  And we may not even have to see him at the TOC, right?  Was this his fifth game or sixth?  Not that the new champ is much better in terms of starting at the bottoms of categories, but it does not hurt my feelings in the slightest that Jon lost.  Incidentally, Inuit?  Horrible guess, since they are North American natives.  FJ was an instaget for me.

This would have been a decent game but for the board-hopping and the game-slowing by Jon.  I get that taking forever to pick the next clue is a strategy, but I'd rather see the board cleared than wait around for days for the next clue to be picked.  Anyway, it didn't seem like there were too many TS, but I did get Maui and old maids.

He's a five timer, so he'll make the TOC. Today was game six.

I was happy when Susan got Zen to prevent the runaway. I wasn't bothered by Jon except for the board hopping, which the other contestants did as well.

My gets were Maui, Orthodox Christmas,  and old maids. I didn't get FJ. I guessed Romani with little confidence. 

I learned today that a saluki is a dog. I looked up pictures, and it's a fine-looking breed. I like Susan but doubt she'll repeat. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Today was Jon's 5th game and he lost, so no TOC.  As much as he annoyed me, I was actually rooting for him today.  The instantly starting with the high dollar clues by the other two pissed me off.

I got Larry Mullen (I left off the Jr. - I wonder if they would have "Kit Carsoned" me?), and old maids.

FJ was an instaget.  I'm glad they accepted Laplanders since I can never remember the more proper term of Sami.

ETA - I learn new things from Jeopardy almost everyday.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought SMH meant "slapping my (fore)head".

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 5

This would have been a decent game but for the board-hopping and the game-slowing by Jon.  I get that taking forever to pick the next clue is a strategy, but I'd rather see the board cleared than wait around for days for the next clue to be picked. 

The long pauses put me over the edge. If he hadn't lost I might have had to take a break until Jon was gone, so good riddance.

I don't remember whether I got any TS but FJ was an instaget. I think the new champ will be a one and done.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Is there even going to be a TOC?  Seems like a long time since the last one...

It happens about every two years. The last one was in Nov. 2015.

40 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Today was Jon's 5th game and he lost, so no TOC. 

He first won last Friday, so he did have 5 wins.

• Love 5
(edited)

i know that jon is  some sort of spy (of what i don't knowlrft ) because he was sending out codes with constant eye blinking!

or he has severe dry eyes

Edited by jaybird2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I don't like the new champ. She didn't seem to pay any attention to the names of the categories, thereby making some horrible guesses.

That 'O' category really tripped her up. There were other wild guesses I've now forgotten too.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Today was Jon's 5th game and he lost, so no TOC.  As much as he annoyed me, I was actually rooting for him today.  The instantly starting with the high dollar clues by the other two pissed me off.

Today was his 6th game, so he did win 5. Does that automatically guarantee entry into the TOC, or does it depend how many people end up winning 5+ games?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I learned today that a saluki is a dog. I looked up pictures, and it's a fine-looking breed. I like Susan but doubt she'll repeat. 

Way back in a college writing class, someone wrote a story about showing salukis. That was the first I'd heard of them.

I got Drew Carey and old maids. I said Maui, but only after I first said Kauai. I thought SMH meant 'smack my head.' And instead of 'off the beaten path,' I said 'off the main road.'

For FJ I hesitantly said Lapps because I learned from this board that 'Lapp' has fallen into disuse, but I couldn't remember the new word. As it happens, earlier today someone recommended a movie called 'Sami Blood.' I saw that it was about Lapps, but I didn't make the connection here.

• Love 5

I'm glad they referenced the proper Sami term this time at least. I try not to get huffy but Inuit should be an embarrassing answer. 

I said Man Candy Monday even though it didn't quite fit the structure of the clue wording. 

I'll have to look up Sami Blood now!

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Today was his 6th game, so he did win 5. Does that automatically guarantee entry into the TOC, or does it depend how many people end up winning 5+ games?

They play 5 games the first week as a first round with everyone playing, so I guess if they have more than 15 5-time winners, they could take the top 15 in earnings or something.  I don't know that that has ever happened, they always have some 4-time winners included.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.  I'm glad they accepted Laplanders since I can never remember the more proper term of Sami.

ETA - I learn new things from Jeopardy almost everyday.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought SMH meant "slapping my (fore)head".

Sami hasn't stuck with me so far. But it's the second time I've heard it on Jeopardy this year, so I figure I'll get it down soon.

I thought it was "Smack My Head." LOL

• Love 2

Jon was starting to grow on me, so naturally he lost. I guess we'll see him in the ToC. Susan will probably be a one & done champ. Poor Josh just couldn't get it going. 

TS I got were Maui (guess), Larry Mullen (no Jr), Drew Carey, before anyone else. FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the word Norway. I also knew there was a more pc name but could not remember it. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, teebax said:

That 'O' category really tripped her up. There were other wild guesses I've now forgotten too.

The other one that is really sticking in my brain is when there was the acronym category and she totally missed that it was an acronym. And she thought MO stood for Old Ironsides.

• Love 4

The thing I liked about Jon was that even though he took his time choosing a category, he didn't say the full name of the category, even the first time.  But his countenance was odd - seemed like he was embarrassed or something, keeping his head low like a dog who's used to being beaten.

• Love 3

On the Orthodox Christmas answer: I just blurted out Christmas, forgetting that the responses had to start with an O.  But is that holiday really called Orthodox Christmas?  Do people wake up that morning and wish each other Happy Orthodox Christmas?  I'm willing to bet they just call it Christmas.  We in the West call it Orthodox Christmas because the Orthodox faith is a small minority around here.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought it was "so much hate" so I've had some very confusing moments reading message boards on politics or local events.

• Love 7