Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I thought of Bhutan immediately (my parents were just there), but I don't know if I would have thought of Bahrain in time.

It was hilarious when Keith guessed George, then King George was his response to the "be more specific". Didn't give a number until Alex asked which one! How could he think George was an acceptable answer? Awesome.

• Love 8

Catching up after several days out of town. Our electricity evidently went out Saturday, and when it came back on our DVR had to be reset so we missed recording a few shows #firstworldproblems

TS I got for Wednesday were Aunt Sally, Volkswagen, AMC. FJ was an instaget for me. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:49 PM, Clanstarling said:

On the stealth plane question - I couldn't get over the pseudonym Ben Dover (Bend Over), I was laughing through to the next question. 

We had to pause it we were laughing so hard. 

On 7/16/2017 at 11:03 AM, ClareWalks said:

I see GOAT all the time, because I am a Packers fan who constantly sees the "Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady" GOAT debate on Twitter. For what it's worth, I don't think people should be considered for GOAT until the end of their athletic careers, since who knows what the future holds?

Actually, it's Drew Brees (honestly, I have no idea; just a huge Saints fan) 

On 7/17/2017 at 7:08 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Congrats to the new champ. She started at the tops of categories and no annoying mannerisms. She reminded me of Sally Field as Norma Rae. 

She reminds me of a younger version of my step-mother-in-law. I like her. She's pleasant, not annoying, and starts at the top of categories. All I can ask for in my Jeopardy contestants. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Bahrain and Bhutan (missed DD - I remember reading about their royal family of Bhutan when the Queen had a baby a year or two ago), 

I got Bhutan but not Bahrain. The baby is the cutest royal baby ever! Beautiful parents too. 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't quite remember the name of the air bag manufacturer. I said Takuna instead of Takata. I got pretty close! 

I said Lexus because there is a recall going on with the airbags in my car, but it has been a few years, and Lexus is not the airbag manufacturer, so I was wrong on a couple of levels. 

• Love 2

The middle lady was too poky for me.  It drove me nuts how often she would pause once she rang in.

So many of you knew VW but I have never heard of a car called The Thing in my life.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The middle lady was too poky for me.  It drove me nuts how often she would pause once she rang in.

So many of you knew VW but I have never heard of a car called The Thing in my life.

I knew a few people who had them.  They were considered pretty funny-looking in the early-mid 1970's.
VW Thing

• Love 3

Even if you don't have a clue on FJ, can't you at least guess?  So you get it wrong, at least make a guess of a major European city. 

I did know it.  ANd I don't fault the one lady for guessing Paris.  But to leave the answer blank on FJ with nothing when even if you are clueless, you at least know from the clue at random you have probably a 1/10 so chance of guessing right, there are only so many major cities in Europe and even fewer that they would ask about on a regular basis. 

Just irritates me with the bad betting (not last night but in the past) and bad strategies from players that make it this far. 

• Love 5

I was in Edinburgh last month so immediately knew Greyfriar's Bobby.  If I hadn't been there I wouldn't have known it.  We even ate at Greyfriar's Bobby Pub.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought of Bhutan immediately (my parents were just there)

Isn't that the country of happiness? And isn't it difficult to get into the country? I mean that they limit the number of tourists?

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I remember it well. It was goofy and different. You don't see many of them anymore. Around here in So Cal you do see one occasionally.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Isn't that the country of happiness? And isn't it difficult to get into the country? I mean that they limit the number of tourists?

Yes, they say they measure success with a happiness index instead of economic. Gross National Happiness, I think.

My parents could only travel with an official tour guide. They wouldn't have been allowed to go without being part of a tour. It sounded really interesting.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Once upon a time, I really wanted a Thing.  And I still think they're kinda cool, in an extremely nerdy way.  

I loved them! I also wished my parents would get a Subaru Brat so I could ride backwards in seats instead of doing it in their boring station wagon.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Even if you don't have a clue on FJ, can't you at least guess?  So you get it wrong, at least make a guess of a major European city. 

I thought the same thing, and it happens often. You know the category, and it's FJ or a DD. If the category is Rivers, just pick a freaking river. Maybe you'll get lucky. If it's sports teams, pick one. If it's European Cities, just name one. I've never understood not answering anything on FJ or on a DD.

(Now that I think more about it, maybe they don't want to be embarrassingly wrong in an answer. If they've seen the way we snark on here, I could understand that!)

• Love 8
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

It's based on the Kübelwagen of World War II, the German Army equivalent of the Jeep.  In the late 1960s, VW introduced an updated version for the West German army, which was also sold to the public.

• Love 3

Head's up for Chicago (area) Jeopardy Fans! Tomorrow's (Friday) AND Monday's Jeopardy will not be shown at their regular time, due to baseball games. They will be at 2:05 am Sat & Tue mornings.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't quite remember the name of the air bag manufacturer. I said Takuna instead of Takata. I got pretty close! 

"Takuna Takata, what a wonderful phrase."
(In my best impersonation of Nathan Lane!)

• Love 6

Alex thought FJ was hard?!!!!! Maybe he needs to retire. That was too simple, even for the teens tournament (do they still have that one?). Once you see "small" in quotation marks, you immediately start thinking of synonyms and get Little .... Little Rock!  I also think "Gershwin" should have gotten a BMS (there are two--George & Ira--I personally have no idea which one was the correct answer).

• Love 9

I had to root for Justin because he's from Homer.

I know I had a bunch of TS but I cannot remember them.  I did not get Cole Porter even though I knew he is who they wanted because his name just would not come to me.

FJ was a big giant "DUH."

Rasputin was difficult, Alex.  This was not.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Alex thought FJ was hard?!!!!! Maybe he needs to retire. That was too simple, even for the teens tournament (do they still have that one?). Once you see "small" in quotation marks, you immediately start thinking of synonyms and get Little .... Little Rock!  

Agreed.  It was another instaget for me. 

I would like to thank School House Rock for my getting the TS of pronoun and interjection.  And now I have the Interjection! song in my head.

I also got fiery furnace, Cole Porter, par avion, and First Day of Issue (because in my wayward youth, I collected stamps, and still will keep them if I really like them).

Congrats, new champ!  I kind of felt bad for the guy on the end, but at least he was a good sport and didn't get all stank face about being so far behind.

• Love 5

Congratulations to Justin. That was a great game, but I wish FJ were harder. It ensured whoevernhad the most at the end of DJ wouod win, unless they made a bad bet.

My gets were pronoun, interjection, J K Simmons, embankment, horns, fiery furnace, Chopin, and Cole Porter.

• Love 3

Yay, Justin!  It's a miracle!  The first person I've rooted for who's won.

I got J. K. Simmons and Embankment. Slow TS day for me.

FJ was an instaget.  Hard, Alex?  Really?  Maybe because it's not a name he could Frenchify.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.  Hard, Alex?  Really?  Maybe because it's not a name he could Frenchify.

Maybe he considered "Minot"?  I like the new champ. hopefully that doesn't mean he's one and done. I wonder if I would have been censored for mispronouncing Fukishima?

• Love 2

I did pretty good. I got pronoun, interjection, embankment, cancellation, and par avion. I couldn't remember JK Simmons' name, so I just said that State Farm guy.

I don't think impairment is the same as impediment.

Oh, and I just couldn't remember the rest of "burning, fiery...... something."

FJ was so easy I thought I must have overlooked something.

• Love 5

Geography is definitely not my thing and I still got FJ in approx. 10 seconds. Make that 5 seconds.

I was screaming COLE PORTER. Guess they didn't hear me. They never do.

Funny. The Denver Broncos hear me when I scream at the TV. Most of the time. Some of the time... (depends on the coach!)

• Love 2

I was so mad at myself for not remembering JK Simmons name. And then I tiredly went down the wrong path for FJ trying to come up with suffixes that would mean small that could be at the end of a state capital. I'm going to hide in a corner now. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

I also think "Gershwin" should have gotten a BMS (there are two--George & Ira--I personally have no idea which one was the correct answer).

George. 

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank School House Rock for my getting the TS of pronoun and interjection.  And now I have the Interjection! song in my head.

Saying all those proper nouns can really drag you down. 

As for FJ, it would have been harder had the clue omitted the word small

• Love 2

I've loved JK Simmons since Law and Order.  When I started binge-watching Oz (back when I had to wait for it to be delivered by Netflix three discs at a time uphill both ways in the snow) I didn't really know anything about Oz other than they were in prison and Chris Meloni is hot.  Imagine my surprise to see the feisty psychologist from Law & Order doing...that.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He was also a M&M!

So, do you mean the candy, or is there an acronym I'm unfamiliar with? Whiplash is the first thing I saw him in where I thought...oh, he's kind of attractive too. (not sure what that says about me in terms of that character, I'll blame it on the arms...)

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not only Gershwin, but Strauss needed a BMS.

Is it just me, or does it seem that they are getting increasingly sloppy in this regard?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Pallida said:

And then I tiredly went down the wrong path for FJ trying to come up with suffixes that would mean small that could be at the end of a state capital. I'm going to hide in a corner now. 

I'll be in that corner with you, @Pallida.  I got stuck trying to think of a name ending in "-ette" and never got beyond it.

40 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So, do you mean the candy, or is there an acronym I'm unfamiliar with?

Simmons is the voice of the yellow M&M

15421a743cd0647acb23a449f0c0b33770f28ee2

• Love 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So, do you mean the candy, or is there an acronym I'm unfamiliar with?

He was the voice of yellow M&M in a video game. He was also Will Pope in The Closer, one of my favourite shows.

Yes they are incredibly sloppy anymore.  Gershwin and Strauss needed a bms.

I did pretty well on ts's last night: Mount Logan, divan, embankment, Stephen Foster, cancellation and Par Avion.  FJ was an instaget and I have no idea why AT thought it was so hard.

I like the new champ.  Maybe it's just his hair but he reminds me of Meathead on All in the Family.

eta: pipped by Moose135!

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

I thought Strauss needed a BMS since father and son were both composers but I wasn't upset by none for Gershwin since George was the composer and Ira was the lyricist.  

This made three FJ instagets in a row for me.  I foresee a long dry spell in my future. ?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

He was the voice of yellow M&M in a video game. He was also Will Pope in The Closer, one of my favourite shows.

He was great in that - but it's kind of redundant to say - he's always great in what he does, even if the show/movie itself bites. I had no idea he was an M&M, the only celebrity I knew who was one was Vanessa Williams.

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I was cheering for Sara Jane too, and I thought Alex was unnecessarily condescending about the two DDs she missed.

For TS I got Hanoi, game reserve and Dan Marino. I couldn't remember the title Civil Disobedience to save my life. FJ was an instaget.

I thought he wasn't condescending enough - the implosion one had "demolition" in the clue.  And even if one doesn't follow the NFL, how can you miss Pittsburgh = steel?

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, ClareWalks said:

I got FJ right away but I think it's one of those things where if you're not super familiar with the Rocky series (which I wasn't until about a year ago), you wouldn't guess it.

I was so embarrassed when they revealed the answer.  I should've known that one since I'm old enough to remember Rocky quite well.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Funny. The Denver Broncos hear me when I scream at the TV. Most of the time. Some of the time... (depends on the coach!)

I always yell "Win" at the Jets, but they never listen.

• Love 4
On ‎07‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, PaulaO said:

I knew Edgar Bergen, but could only come up with Mortimer Snead!   I saw Charlie McCarthy in my mind but couldn't come up with his name.

I forgot that the category was American Authors, and completely discounted Charlie McCarthy as the ventriloquist's dummy. D'oh!

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, DXD526 said:

Surprising that the champ didn't know where Lisa Murkowski is from. She's been in the news a lot lately, being one of the few Republican senators to oppose the recent heathcare bills. 

I got her mixed up with Susan Collins and said Maine.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't remember JK Simmons' name, so I just said that State Farm guy.

I said that guy from Law and Order.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not only Gershwin, but Strauss needed a BMS.

Yes, it could've been Johann Sr., Johann Jr., Richard, or Kit.

• Love 9
On 7/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, Fex said:

Yes, they say they measure success with a happiness index instead of economic. Gross National Happiness, I think.

My parents could only travel with an official tour guide. They wouldn't have been allowed to go without being part of a tour. It sounded really interesting.

Perhaps by reducing the number of tourists increases gross national happiness?  I think they might be on to something!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Yes, it could've been Johann Sr., Johann Jr., Richard, or Kit.

What about Levi Strauss? He could have made music along with his famous jeans. Kit Carson Strauss is more likely though. :) 

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't remember JK Simmons' name, so I just said that State Farm guy.

Farmer's Insurance, not State Farm. We are farmers, bum ba dum bum bum bum bum.

• Love 10
(edited)
27 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Farmer's Insurance, not State Farm. We are farmers, bum ba dum bum bum bum bum.

They both have "farm" in their names - so I totally mix them up, even with the tune (farmers have farms, after all, it doesn't exactly eliminate State Farm). I never remember which ad is for UPS and which is FedEx either - and they just have the type of business in common. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I like Justin - he is knowledgeable and picks the next question quickly. 

TS I got were pronoun, interjection, JK Simmons, Cole Porter. FJ was easy once I realized where they were going. For some reason I was thinking of a small state (despite the category name - d'oh!), and was trying to think of something related to Rhode Island. I think I would have had time to write the answer down. 

• Love 4

Kinda sucks for middle guy, who was from Canada, for the FJ category to be Americana.  OTOH, I didn't get it, either.  I just couldn't get my brain going in the right direction, I guess.  Nice change of pace from the instagets, though.

I was really glad that they got to and through the Biology category!  I was going to be mad if they didn't.  However, I did wonder if they would have accepted serum instead of plasma.  They are both the liquid component of blood, but one comes from blood that has been allowed to clot, and the other comes from unclotted blood. 

The only TS I got were The Sound and The Fury and rhinestone. 

Congrats to Justin!

• Love 3