Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)


Athena
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Me too! I would kick BUTT at a Jeopardy board comprised entirely of Broadway lyric, vocabulary, and history questions. It's them damn geography and science questions that get me. 

Broadway is not my thing, though a few of those last night I got just from conext and general knowledge

My best would be a board of medicine, Sports but specifically football and basketball, TV shows 1980s to present

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh Shadi!  What are you thinking with the final Daily Double wager?!?  You bet $2000 which left you in third place.  If you had bet $3000 you would have been in first place going into FJ!  You had nothing to lose!

This kind of thing bugs me: when people smart enough to get on Jeopardy make dumb wagers.

It worked out for her because she wisely bet low on FJ.  But you can't count on your opponents missing clues if you want to stick around for multiple games.

On Final Jeopardy, I got it right away.  Daniel Day Lewis played Lincoln in 2012.

Justin is on the TOC leaderboard.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
(edited)

Ugh noooooooo I am the sadness.

I heard Burnside, I even rewound to check.  Whatever, that guy bugged with his extraneous yapping when choosing categories.

I got Anthony Hopkins even though I only knew about Nixon, it was basically a guess.  I knew DDL was wrong because that movie was so recent.

Sniffle.  Bye Justin.  Next time we travel to the southern tier I'm going to stalk you.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 13
Link to comment
(edited)

For FJ tonight, my first thought was Daniel Day Lewis as well, but I knew Lincoln was too recent.  The only other Brit I could think of who even played a U.S. president was Anthony Hopkins, so I kind of lucked into it.  I suspect, had I been on the show, I would have gone with my first instinct and been wrong with all the other contestants.

If Justin couldn't continue, and I am sad that he lost, I'm glad Shadi won.  Middle guy bugged me.  And that was some weird editing with the correction of his response of Burnsides.  No one else got a chance to respond, even. 

I was surprised Virginia Reel was a TS, but then again, I am from Virginia, and we learned the damned thing in elementary school.  I also got Lovin' Spoonful, mayflower, and overpopulation.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 9
Link to comment

(edited)

That 'Who is Williams ? answer for the founder of Rhode Island screamed for a BMS.

What the hell was with that Burnsides answer going in to the break ?  It was just strange.

I didn't hear a 'what is' before that Chaucer answer.

ETA: I agree with @Browncoat -- the burnsides answer editing was pretty sketchy.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6
Link to comment

Noooo! That was a sad way for a champ to go down, but Justin has often been an odd FJ wager-er. 

 

That was was a super hard FJ, to me, but then the movie categories are some of my worst. I just don't remember actors' names that well and "Who is, that guy who was in the thing with the other lady?" Probably wouldn't go over well. 

  • Love 6
Link to comment

Like some of you have already mentioned, my first thought was Daniel Day-Lewis. I knew Lincoln was more recent, so I moved on. I remembered Hopkins playing Nixon and couldn't think of who else he played, but I guessed him anyway, since I couldn't think of anyone else who fit the clue.

That DD wager by Shadi had me scaring my dog, I was yelling so loud at the TV. However, her odd wagering strategy helped her slay a giant, so I can't hate on her too much, even though I hate when a game is decided by crappy wagering.

My gets: Burnside (Alex's mistake cost the others a chance to ring in with the correct answer;  he continues to drive me nuts.); Chicago; Lovin' Spoonful; the Mayflower DD Justin inexplicably missed; jojoba (they'd kick me out of Arizona if I missed that one); and overpopulation.

I have read some complaints about contestants here, and I sympathize. However, for me I have been fine with the contestants over the past couple of weeks. It's probably because no one is breaking my rule about always starting from the top. If it has happened, I haven't noticed. So that makes my viewing experience much more pleasant! Also, we seem to be clearing more boards lately.

  • Love 8
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That 'Who is Williams ? answer for the founder of Rhode Island screamed for a BMS.

 

The category was Roger, though.

I feel like Alex jinxed Justin with that interview! It was a send-off if I've ever heard one.

  • Love 10
Link to comment

Dang, Justin, I hate to see you go.  I wanted him to finish out the season.  I'll miss his shirts and ties and pleasant demeanor.  I have a feeling Shadi will be a one and done.  Ryan bugged the crap out of me so I'm glad he lost.

I only got Virginia Reel for a TS.

And, crap!, the Safeway delivery guy showed up a half hour early during FJ so I couldn't think.  Boo hiss!  I doubt if I would have gotten it anyway.

  • Love 8
Link to comment

(edited)

It's Creedence Clearwater Revival not Creedence Clearwater!  Just no, that is not acceptable.  Looking up on Wikipedia, I see "Creedence" and "CCR" as "informal abbreviations."  CCR I knew and would have accepted, though would think it is a cheat, but Creedence Clearwater is just wrong.

Also don't like Shandi being able to append her original answer.  Your first response is your response, period.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 17
Link to comment

I knew the Virginia Reel, Bodleian Library (by coincidence, I was visiting Oxford a week ago!), phantasmagoric, and Raskolnikov. I was a bit annoyed by the Dr. Phil Frankenstein clue. Frankenstein is the doctor, not the creature, who has no name in the book.

I figured people would think of Daniel Day-Lewis, but "90's" told me that was wrong. I did not think of Hopkins.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Quote

It's Creedence Clearwater Revival not Creedence Clearwater!  Just no, that is not acceptable.  Looking up on Wikipedia, I see "Creedence" and "CCR" as "informal abbreviations."  CCR I knew and would have accepted, though would think it is a cheat, but Creedence Clearwater is just wrong.

Also don't like Shandi being able to append her original answer.  Your first response is your response, period.

From his first "Let's stick with...", Ryan worked my nerves. I was so annoyed by the "Creedence Clearwater" I had to Google it. I also didn't realize you could get away with multiple answers. I predict Shandi will be a one-and-done anyway.

For TS I got overpopulation and Raskolnikov. FJ wasn't quite an instaget but I got it pretty quickly since I knew DDL's Lincoln was too recent, and Hopkins as Nixon was a big deal at the time. I never knew Roger Ebert hated the movie North so much. Now I've gotta find the story behind that...

  • Love 7
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I heard Burnside, I even rewound to check.  Whatever, that guy buffed with his extraneous yapping when choosing categories.

I got Anthony Hopkins even though I only knew about Nixon, it was basically a guess.  I knew DDL was wrong because that movie was so recent.

 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ tonight, my first thought was Daniel Day Lewis as well, but I knew Lincoln was too recent.  The only other Brit I could think of who even played a U.S. president was Anthony Hopkins, so I kind of lucked into it.  I suspect, had I been on the show, I would have gone with my first instinct and been wrong with all the other contestants.

If Justin couldn't continue, and I am sad that he lost, I'm glad Shadi won.  Middle guy bugged me.  And that was some weird editing with the correction of his response of Burnsides.  No one else got a chance to respond, even. 

The Burnside business was bizarre! I too rewound, and I did not hear an "S". And if he had gotten it wrong, the others should have had a chance to ring in.  Odd.

I guessed Anthony Hopkins because I thought I remembered he played Nixon, although I couldn't think of a second president. If the clue hadn't mentioned the 90s, I would have guessed Daniel Day Lewis.

11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew the Virginia Reel, Bodleian Library (by coincidence, I was visiting Oxford a week ago!), phantasmagoric, and Raskolnikov. I was a bit annoyed by the Dr. Phil Frankenstein clue. Frankenstein is the doctor, not the creature, who has no name in the book.

I figured people would think of Daniel Day-Lewis, but "90's" told me that was wrong. I did not think of Hopkins.

I wish I hadn't deleted the episode, because I'm not sure, but I think the clue was actually referring to the doctor, so Frankenstein was correct.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I couldn't think of Hopkins. Like others, I knew 'Lincoln' wasn't from the 90's, so Day-Lewis couldn't have been it. I tried to think of possible British actors, then I tried to think of US Presidents in movies, then... I gave up.

The only TS I got was overpopulation.

I forgot the category was Roger, and I said Sebastian Coe instead of Bannister. I need to study on how to keep them straight.

 

On 7/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, Grundoon59 said:

I was thinking Inherit the Wind but remembered too late it was a play not a book.  

Whenever I think of Inherit the Wind, I always hear Spencer Tracy saying, "Brady! Brady! Brady!" 

 

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

It's Creedence Clearwater Revival not Creedence Clearwater!  Just no, that is not acceptable. 

That didn't bother me. Alex hesitated a bit, maybe waiting for the full name or looking to the judges for guidance. I think since many people just call it Creedence Clearwater, that was acceptable. 

 

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I was a bit annoyed by the Dr. Phil Frankenstein clue. Frankenstein is the doctor, not the creature, who has no name in the book.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the clue was actually referring to the doctor, not the creature.

 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I heard Burnside, I even rewound to check.  

Same here. I'm sure he said Burnside, but when Alex asked him, leadingly, if he put an S on the end, Ryan said Yes. If he had said No, it wouldn't have made a difference because the judges said they heard S. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

1 hour ago, YoureSoUrban said:

From his first "Let's stick with...", Ryan worked my nerves. I was so annoyed by the "Creedence Clearwater" I had to Google it. I also didn't realize you could get away with multiple answers. I predict Shandi will be a one-and-done anyway.

For TS I got overpopulation and Raskolnikov. FJ wasn't quite an instaget but I got it pretty quickly since I knew DDL's Lincoln was too recent, and Hopkins as Nixon was a big deal at the time. I never knew Roger Ebert hated the movie North so much. Now I've gotta find the story behind that...

I stand corrected on the Frankenstein clue.

I kind of liked Ryan. He had a bit of the bad-boy thing going.

Here is the Roger Ebert review of "North."

  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Same here. I'm sure he said Burnside, but when Alex asked him, leadingly, if he put an S on the end, Ryan said Yes. If he had said No, it wouldn't have made a difference because the judges said they heard S. 

I wasn't fully paying attention so I don't know what he said, but when Alex asked about the 's' and then said it was wrong, he effectively prevented anyone else from having the option to ring in and potentially get the correct answer. I'd be kind of annoyed if I was an opponent who knew the answer.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Sad that Justin lost. I will miss him and his matching shirts & ties and pleasant demeanor, and hope we see him in he ToC. If not Justin, then I am glad that Shadi beat Ryan because between his swaying, outdoor voice, and giving the whole category name he drove me nuts. Shadi reminds me of the Nancy Donahue character from "The Middle", and I agree she won't last. 

TS I got were Virginia, Loving Spoonful, jojoba, overpopulation. Surprised that Creedence Clearwater was accepted without the Revival. My first instinct for FJ was Daniel Day-Lewis, but knew that "Lincoln" was recent. I said Anthony Hopkins on the basis of "Nixon", but could not remember a 2nd US president until Alex mentioned JQA in "Amistad". I recalled it then, but would never have remembered otherwise I'm quite sure. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
Quote

I was surprised Virginia Reel was a TS, but then again, I am from Virginia

I'm not from Virginia, but what other reel is there? Kit Carson Reel? Sheesh.

Hey, guess what? I was screaming HOLLAND tunnel...and...this time... a jeptestant heard me :-)

  • Love 11
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Roaster said:

Oh Shadi!  What are you thinking with the final Daily Double wager?!?  You bet $2000 which left you in third place.  If you had bet $3000 you would have been in first place going into FJ!  You had nothing to lose!

This kind of thing bugs me: when people smart enough to get on Jeopardy make dumb wagers.

It worked out for her because she wisely bet low on FJ.  But you can't count on your opponents missing clues if you want to stick around for multiple games.

On Final Jeopardy, I got it right away.  Daniel Day Lewis played Lincoln in 2012.

Justin is on the TOC leaderboard.

I thought the same thing on her daily double bet.  It worked out just by dumb luck, but that was a really stupid wager. 

I didn't know FJ.  I was thinking Daniel Day lewis as well.  But I've seen none of those movies. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

(edited)
Quote

Yes, I'm pretty sure the clue was actually referring to the doctor, not the creature.

I thought the opposite because it said "my creator" so I thought they were asking who said the quote. Unless I'm remembering the category wrong.  But the answer should have either been Dr. Frankenstein or the Monster. Not just Frankenstein.

Quote

  Quote

I was surprised Virginia Reel was a TS, but then again, I am from Virginia

I'm not from Virginia, but what other reel is there?

I live in VA but still - its the Virginia Reel and the Tennessee Waltz.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 5
Link to comment
(edited)
16 hours ago, Jesse said:

Did anyone else think Seth (?) looked like Russell Tovey?

Now that you mention it. But Tovey's much, much, more appealing.

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ because I immediately remembered Nixon. It took me a bit longer to remember JQA. 

Aw, no one knew the Bodleian Library. 

Me too, I knew Nixon and that it was the right date. Didn't remember him as JQA, though we saw the movie.

 

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think since many people just call it Creedence Clearwater, that was acceptable. 

Same here. I'm sure he said Burnside, but when Alex asked him, leadingly, if he put an S on the end, Ryan said Yes. If he had said No, it wouldn't have made a difference because the judges said they heard S. 

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say Creedence Clearwater. Creedence, yes, CCR, yes, the full name - but not just the first two words. 

I think if he had said he had NOT said 'S' (which he clearly didn't, as many of us who rewound confirmed)  the judges would have listened to the play back for clarity (which I think they've done before). But he happily lied and said he'd said  Burnsides, and then screwed himself.  We thought it was pretty funny.

Edited by Clanstarling
Because I forgot to comment on the first quote - didn't scroll up enough, I guess.
  • Love 11
Link to comment
(edited)

Shouty!Swaying! Ryan.  I hated him.  I actually fast-forwarded through parts of the game so I didn't have to hear him.  I knew DDL was not right, knew Hopkins was Nixon but couldn't think of another role.  I answered Hopkins anyway, but swear Frost & Nixon was more recent than the 1990s.

Edited:  Frost & Nixon came out in 2006.   I swear the FJ! said both roles were in the 1990s.

Yet another edit:  Hopkins was nominated for his role in Nixon, not Frost & Nixon. 

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 6
Link to comment

I had FJ wrong last night too. Like many of you, I said Daniel Day Lewis. I kind of knew it was wrong but couldn't think of anyone else.

Ryan's swaying and making big air circles with his buzzer were annoying. Glad he didn't win!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought the opposite because it said "my creator" so I thought they were asking who said the quote. Unless I'm remembering the category wrong.  But the answer should have either been Dr. Frankenstein or the Monster. Not just Frankenstein.

I live in VA but still - its the Virginia Reel and the Tennessee Waltz.  

It's coming back to me! The clue was kind of convoluted. It was asking how he felt hearing that quote, so they were looking for who the quote was said to / about. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

For FJ I had no clue, I just knew it was NOT Daniel Day Lewis, although I certainly don't fault anyone for writing that down. I had no other guesses. I was like "...did Ian McKellan play any presidents?" Oscars categories are always very hit or miss for me.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was surprised Virginia Reel was a TS

So was I! It's the only Reel that anyone can name (I'm sure there are others--don't bother to tell me about them).

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/27/2017 at 1:22 AM, Mystery Author said:

maybe football (what Mr. Author calls "poofta footie").

Can you explain this nickname?

Although I knew Daniel Day-Lewis was wrong for other reasons, I thought he didn't fit the clue because I was convinced he's Irish, not British. It turns out he has dual citizenship (and the Irish one is more recent).

  • Love 1
Link to comment

With the outgoing and incoming champs both being high school teachers, it got me wondering how the decision is made (and who makes it) for the contestants to compete on regular J! or the Teachers' Edition.  Clearly Justin was a great player with the regular crowd, but given the last crop of Teachers Tourney competitors, he could have won the whole thing easily.

  • Love 6
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Can you explain this nickname?

Although I knew Daniel Day-Lewis was wrong for other reasons, I thought he didn't fit the clue because I was convinced he's Irish, not British. It turns out he has dual citizenship (and the Irish one is more recent).

I think the nickname may just be a bit rude (from all the Brit reading I do).

I was convinced DDL was Irish as well - but I think that may have been down to his role in "In the Name of the Father."

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I was convinced DDL was Irish as well - but I think that may have been down to his role in "In the Name of the Father."

For me, I think I blame My Left Foot.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

19 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ because I immediately remembered Nixon. It took me a bit longer to remember JQA. 

Aw, no one knew the Bodleian Library. 

I knew the Bodleian, but did not get FJ.  I forgot about both Nixon and Amistad.  I always see "The Oscars" as the FJ category, think "I'm good at the that - I'd bet it all", and the answer is something I can't remember.

Sorry to see Justin go.  I'll miss his brightly colored shirts.  I didn't really form much of an opinion about the girl who won, but I am glad it wasn't the hipster in the middle.

Yeah, the category was Jolly Roger, so for this one category, only the last name was required.

18 hours ago, Bazinga said:

It's Creedence Clearwater Revival not Creedence Clearwater!  Just no, that is not acceptable.  Looking up on Wikipedia, I see "Creedence" and "CCR" as "informal abbreviations."  CCR I knew and would have accepted, though would think it is a cheat, but Creedence Clearwater is just wrong.

Also don't like Shandi being able to append her original answer.  Your first response is your response, period.

By Jeopardy rules, you're allowed to change your answer IF you change it before Alex rules you incorrect.  It's a rule I wished I'd remembered when answering my very first question and saying something stupid.

13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm not from Virginia, but what other reel is there? Kit Carson Reel? Sheesh.

Hey, guess what? I was screaming HOLLAND tunnel...and...this time... a jeptestant heard me :-)

I took a guess and got it right, but then, I had a 50-50 chance.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I knew The Dead Zone and Wendy Williams. No clue on FJ. I never heard of The Black Swan book. Here is the description of it in case others are equally clueless, or think it's the book version of the Natalie Portman movie.

So this is the end of the season. I'm curious how many of the "regulars" here watch the re-runs, or just find something else to do during the Jeopardy! time slot for the next six weeks.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

So this is the end of the season. I'm curious how many of the "regulars" here watch the re-runs, or just find something else to do during the Jeopardy! time slot for the next six weeks.

I will probably watch the reruns - if I forgot my watching of the original show, it's new to me :-) 

Me seeing FJ -huh?! Me after hearing the answer - huh?! 

  • Love 16
Link to comment

I am ecstatic that Mary lost.  She annoyed me to no end with the DD hunting.  I was clueless for FJ, although I've heard of a black swan in that context.  I had no idea there was a book of the same name.  I might have to give it a read.

TS I got were Russia, Qatar and Wendy Williams.

I'm glad Alex warned us about the end of the season.  I'll likely watch the re-runs if I'm home, but I won't record it if I'm not.  And it works out well for me, because I'm going to be away from home for the better part of the week in a couple of weeks. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am ecstatic that Mary lost.  She annoyed me to no end with the DD hunting.  I was clueless for FJ, although I've heard of a black swan in that context.  I had no idea there was a book of the same name.  I might have to give it a read.

TS I got were Russia, Qatar and Wendy Williams.

I'm glad Alex warned us about the end of the season.  I'll likely watch the re-runs if I'm home, but I won't record it if I'm not.  And it works out well for me, because I'm going to be away from home for the better part of the week in a couple of weeks. 

It's as if I wrote this post myself. I got the same ones you did, and the Dead Zone. 

I just made a comment about people selecting clues from the top down, and here she comes to ruin it. I didn't care for her voice either, although I was impressed with some of her gets.

As far as tourneys, I'll watch the ones I like, so anything other than celebrities, teens, and kids. I discovered there are a bunch of old Jeopardy episodes on Youtube, so that's how I'll get my fix during the break.

I will be attending a taping during my fall break in October, since I'm apparently never going to get on the show any other way. I'm looking forward to it.

  • Love 6
Link to comment

Must be Forgetful Friday for me. All I got today was Wendy Williams. No clue whatsoever for FJ. Had no idea what they were even talking about.

Maybe the fact I had a rather stiff drink immediately before during cocktail hour had something to do with it, haha. 

I will be watch watching whatever reruns they put on before the new season starts. Any Jeopardy is ok, but I'll be looking forward to the new season.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Congrats to Shadi!  Even though Mary is from my neck of the woods, I'm glad she lost.  There was something about her that really bugged me besides the DD hunting.  I call foul on giving Dan lemon when the answer was lime.  In all my years of drinking tequila shots, in biker bars to hoity toity joints, I've never been served lemon wedges nor have I seen anyone sucking on a lemon.

I only got The Dead Zone and Wendy Williams (which I'm almost ashamed to admit).

I was beyond clueless for FJ.  

I'll be watching the reruns.  I have to have my daily Jeopardy! fix.

  • Love 14
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Shadi!  Even though Mary is from my neck of the woods, I'm glad she lost.  There was something about her that really bugged me besides the DD hunting.  I call foul on giving Dan lemon when the answer was lime.  In all my years of drinking tequila shots, in biker bars to hoity toity joints, I've never been served lemon wedges nor have I seen anyone sucking on a lemon.

I only got The Dead Zone and Wendy Williams (which I'm almost ashamed to admit).

I was beyond clueless for FJ.  

I'll be watching the reruns.  I have to have my daily Jeopardy! fix.

ditto! to everything you stated except for biker bars.  also, never ever lemon with my tequila

  • Love 5
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

ditto! to everything you stated except for biker bars.  also, never ever lemon with my tequila

Fourth-ded! Or fourthed... Or whatever it is.

I used to bartend and would only give a lemon with tequila if someone had the audacity to request it; who am I to judge? His answer should've been ruled incorrect.

  • Love 11
Link to comment
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew The Dead Zone and Wendy Williams.

Those are the only two I got as well.

 

Quote

No clue on FJ. I never heard of The Black Swan book. Here is the description of it in case others are equally clueless, or think it's the book version of the Natalie Portman movie.

Thanks, though I just went to Wikipedia to read a bit about the book. I guess I've heard of it, but I was lost when Alex read the clue and still lost afterwards. BTW, what state as a black swan as an emblem? And isn't there another term for what is obvious being the correct answer? ... I just googled: Occam's Razor. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Those are the only two I got as well.

 

Thanks, though I just went to Wikipedia to read a bit about the book. I guess I've heard of it, but I was lost when Alex read the clue and still lost afterwards. BTW, what state as a black swan as an emblem? And isn't there another term for what is obvious being the correct answer? ... I just googled: Occam's Razor. 

Me three. 

I also went to Wikipedia to read about the book. Never heard of it. Western Australia is the state that has the black swan as an emblem. I Googled to find that one.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...