Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

No clue whatsoever for FJ. Had no idea what they were even talking about.

I didn't know whether it was the wording or what but I just sat there with a blank stare.

Add me to the list of lime-only tequila drinkers. The judges have gotten super lazy and lame.

The only TS I got were Russia and Wendy Williams. I can't stand her show, just catch Hot Topics on YouTube occasionally, but back in the day her radio show was everything.

I was surprised but happy Shandi edged out Mary. I couldn't stand her DD hunting and she just seemed like a general smarty pants.

I'll be watching the reruns.  I have to have my daily Jeopardy! fix.

Same here!

• Love 2

For some reason, ABC News thought that the appointment of a new White House Chief of Staff was worth breaking into regular programming for, so here in Chicago we missed FJ and the majority of DJ. Glad to know that Shadi won again.

I use summers to try to clear off my DVR (down to 36 percent!), so I'll be taking a break from Jeopardy and will see y'all in mid-September. Hopefully with a DVR in the single digits.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

'll be watching the reruns.  I have to have my daily Jeopardy! fix.

Plus, I have a bad memory for remembering specific episodes, though sometimes I retain info I learned so I feel smarter this time around!

• Love 4

Can you explain this nickname?

Sure. Mr. Author, who has written 20 romances for Harlequin, was born in Canada but moved to Australia in the late 70s. We met through an on-line writers group, collaborated on a romantic suspense and fell in love. I was living in Colorado, he was living in Tasmania. He asked me to marry him. I said I thought I should meet him first.

I spent a month in Oz and we got married two months later... in Vancouver (BC)... at a writers conference :)

Aussie football is much more macho than US (or Canadian) football. Poofta footie means "sissy football."

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

For some reason, ABC News thought that the appointment of a new White House Chief of Staff was worth breaking into regular programming for

What's even more annoying about this is that (a) no other network (in Chicago) decided to break in (I checked--not CBS, NBC, FOX, nor WGN (which has news on about 75% of the day, though not at 3:50)) and (b) the (local) news was going to start in 10 minutes, so they could have waited until then! And it's not the only time ABC has decided to show "breaking news" (that no other station seems to care about) during Jeopardy!!!  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Western Australia is the state that has the black swan as an emblem. I Googled to find that one.

I misunderstood. I thought it was a US State that had the emblem. I didn't even have much to drink!

10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

We ... collaborated on a romantic suspense and fell in love.

That'll do it. :)

• Love 3

I kinda liked Mary despite her jumping around & DD hunting, which are usually my pet peeves. Her interview story was cool, and I would love to lurk in that forum. 

TS I got were Russia; Qatar (After my first 2 guesses of Yemen & Oman were ruled incorrect. I give myself a lot of leeway..lol); Mexico; rational. FJ - no idea whatsoever. 

Agree that lemon should have been ruled as incorrect. 

On 7/28/2017 at 7:16 PM, teebax said:

I will be attending a taping during my fall break in October, since I'm apparently never going to get on the show any other way. I'm looking forward to it.

Very cool! Hope you will tell us all about it. 

On 7/29/2017 at 2:05 AM, Mystery Author said:

Sure. Mr. Author, who has written 20 romances for Harlequin, was born in Canada but moved to Australia in the late 70s. We met through an on-line writers group, collaborated on a romantic suspense and fell in love. I was living in Colorado, he was living in Tasmania. He asked me to marry him. I said I thought I should meet him first.

I spent a month in Oz and we got married two months later... in Vancouver (BC)... at a writers conference :)

I'm casting the rom-com, that you 2 must write, in my head as we speak...

• Love 3

It sounds kind of silly, but I'll miss the S33 opening, with all the different cubes. It was busy and visually interesting. 

Although I miss J! during the break, it does help in freeing up time to get the DVR cleaned up (J! must be watched every day, I refuse to let them mount up, so sometimes other things do). I'm not really interested in reruns, but one thing I would watch again is Julia's historic run. It was three years ago, long enough that some fans might be seeing it for the first time, and those of us who did would enjoy it again. I remember when it was because I was going through a move at the time and missed a couple of games, but I'd watch the whole run again.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It sounds kind of silly, but I'll miss the S33 opening, with all the different cubes. It was busy and visually interesting. 

Although I miss J! during the break, it does help in freeing up time to get the DVR cleaned up (J! must be watched every day, I refuse to let them mount up, so sometimes other things do). I'm not really interested in reruns, but one thing I would watch again is Julia's historic run. It was three years ago, long enough that some fans might be seeing it for the first time, and those of us who did would enjoy it again. I remember when it was because I was going through a move at the time and missed a couple of games, but I'd watch the whole run again.

My local ABC affiliate shows Jeopardy on Saturday afternoons/evenings, until college football inevitably comes around and ruins it. I'm not sure what season they're in now, but a few months ago they were showing Matt Jackson's run. Was Julia in the same season as he was? 

Does GSN still show Jeopardy reruns? I don't get that channel anymore because DirecTV moved it to a more expensive package. They used to show it in the mornings.

ETA: I just checked, and some (or all) of her episodes are on YouTube. Just search for her name and Jeopardy.

• Love 1

OK, I guess I missed this Teen Tournament show the first time around.

But come on, Alex!  The Great Wall of China most certainly was "built by living creatures."  People  are living creatures!

It was still incorrect because it's not "about half the size of Texas," and it's not really easy to see from space (too narrow & blends into the landscape.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

OK, I guess I missed this Teen Tournament show the first time around.

But come on, Alex!  The Great Wall of China most certainly was "built by living creatures."  People  are living creatures!

It was still incorrect because it's not "about half the size of Texas," and it's not really easy to see from space (too narrow & blends into the landscape.)

And the category was "Natural Wonders" or similar. That's the real killer, IMO.

• Love 2

I knew FJ last night!  Of course, now I'm not sure if I knew it on its own or just remembered the answer from the last time I watched the episode.  I think I got it correctly last time though. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jesse said:

And the category was "Natural Wonders" or similar. That's the real killer, IMO

Oh well, that too!  I forgot the category, and I don't record reruns so I couldn't check.

But Alex saying the Great Wall wasn't built by "living creatures" just had me shaking my head!  I think the people who built it might beg to differ ( I mean, they're all dead now, but still!)  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

But Alex saying the Great Wall wasn't built by "living creatures" just had me shaking my head!  I think the people who built it might beg to differ ( I mean, they're all dead now, but still!)  

I thought his point was that they used "living creatures" intentionally. If the answer was The Great Wall that would be a messed up way of describing who built it.

• Love 1

I felt sorry for poor little 8th grader, Leeyu, yesterday, but I was impressed with her ability to even get on the Teen Tournament.  Alec was very smart, and deserved to win, but he was a buzzer masher extraordinaire and kind of smug.  

• Love 3

I must've missed tonight's episode the first time around, I was impressed by all three of these kids. They were all great competitors. Lucia made gutsy wagers that paid off for her. Glad Connor won though. To put freshmen in with seniors is a bit uneven (3 years of additional knowledge is a lot in high school) but it worked out for him today. 

• Love 2
On 2017-08-03 at 8:18 PM, Miss Chevious said:

To put freshmen in with seniors is a bit uneven (3 years of additional knowledge is a lot in high school)

There were even a couple of grade eight students in the mix this time - I think that is just too young to possibly go up against high school seniors.

I've enjoyed rewatching this past week.  I have actually forgotten who won - I won't look it up so it will be a surprise to me again:).

• Love 3

I don't remember seeing any 8th graders in the mix--freshmen would be 9th graders, and I thought that all of them had "high school" designations--freshman, sophomore, junior, senior.  It's not up to the producers to make kids who otherwise qualify wait to compete.  I think it's more on the kids and their parents if the student decides to compete as a freshman or senior.  I would say junior year is the best, so you have as much experience but still have time to put it on college applications.  I'm sure that's a big thing that few people can claim!

• Love 1

Leeyu and Jasmine were both eighth-graders.  You can verify this by checking the J! Archive.  And in both cases I think it put them at a huge disadvantage.  Jasmine did better because someone obviously advised her during the first break, per what Alex said, to stop hammering frantically at the buzzer and flailing around.  Leeyu kept going for the bottom clue first even after repeatedly having no answer.  If I were a parent, I'd suggest my kid wait a couple of years and then show him or her what happens when you jump the gun and don't have the knowledge or maturity to compete against older kids.  There've been exceptions, but these two girls were definitely out of their depth at their age.

• Love 4
On 8/1/2017 at 4:53 PM, The Wild Sow said:

But they're all dead now. :p

• Love 1

So glad the guy on the right (Alec? Alex?) lost the big money by one dollar.  There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.  He seems arrogant and spoiled. After he lost, he went into a frowning pout that was childish and embarrassing.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

So glad the guy on the right (Alec? Alex?) lost the big money by one dollar.  There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.  He seems arrogant and spoiled. After he lost, he went into a frowning pout that was childish and embarrassing.

Yeah I didn't like him either. 

The winner obviously had the math all figured out and bet that way on purpose.  Didn't matter if it was a dollar or $10000, he was going to lose as long as the winner got FJ correct. 

Which was a pretty easy question

• Love 4

Loved that finish.!  I know I saw it the first time around but I really couldn't remember how it ended up.  I cheered.  It was fantastic that the champ (Narath?) calculated that he would still win by $1 even if if Alec wagered everything (which he did).  The look on Alec's face was kind of priceless.         

• Love 3

I did think it was funny that Alec was unable to do the math to figure out that he lost until Alex said it.

I'd never heard of the Mayflower Compact, though, so I wouldn't have got FJ today. Although if I had, it wouldn't have been a huge leap to think of documents that relate to a ship. I'm guessing from the reactions here and elsewhere that it is a fairly standard part of American education.

Then again, this is the same tournament in which none of the kids could come up with the last lines of their own national anthem.

• Love 3

I'm so glad Sharath won the Teen Tournament.  Nice, likeable, smart kid.

----------

Now we have the College Tournament.  I remember Lily with her scrunched up sleeves, starting her sentences with "so", and her extremely annoying board hopping.  She's just as insufferable this time around.  Ugh.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I tried to watch tonight, but after Lily's first pick, I switched to MASH on  tvland.  Her annoying board-hopping was bad enough the first time around.  I can't stand it again.

I might have to do the same....

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The Teachers Tournament is the lamest.  It's easier than Kids' Week.

True, but at least the teachers are dressed nicely and aren't board hopping and being all emo like those college jerks last week.  And no pop culture/video games/rap music categories is also a big plus.  

• Love 8
11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm enjoying the Teachers Tournament.  It makes me feel like a genius.

I was going to say -- @Writing Wrongs, watching the re-run of the Teachers Tournament may not make you any smarter, but it sure makes you feel smarter!

• Love 2