Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The second I saw that flower I though of you guys!

I had no clue on FJ. For some reason James Bond popped into my head even though I knew that wasn't the answer. Only got two TS: peeled/pealed and longshoreman.

Was anyone else bugged by the answer What is Korea? And then Alex says, "South Korea, yes." That's definitely a BMS. 

That was some seriously lazy judging.

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but Vicky's FJ really needed  a BMS.  The first name should have been given

We (at our house) came up with "McCarthy"! It was the first name we had trouble with! Who would have thought you could just get away with "McCarthy"??? BTW, did the other contestant think there was a dummy named "F. Fitzgerald" and that's why F. Scott uses "F. Scott"? Or was that the only author she could think of? Granted, Bergen was "before her time" (40? 50? More? years ago), but even so....

I did come up with the missed DD "Jumping" (to conclusions). I loved "The Phantom Tollbooth"! I need to dig up a copy & read it again :)

• Love 6

Lord almighty, we have had some frustrating games lately. I was sitting in my recliner sarcastically yelling about this "trio of REAL BRAIN SURGEONS over here," and clearly I am just bitchy and need a glass of wine or something, LOL.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I'm sorry, but Vicky's FJ really needed  a BMS.  The first name should have been given.

Oh hell yes. Accepting just the last name on a FJ demeans the intelligent status that this show used to represent. 

• Love 7

Agreed with all of you about the BMS for McCarthy, although I was mostly rooting for Vicky.  Mostly because I'm over Gavin, but also I couldn't fully support her, a children's book reviewer, when she missed the DD of jumping.  If nothing else, "jumping to conclusions" is a fairly common phrase!  But I love that book for all the fun wordplay like that.  If someone yells, "Wait!" at me, I always shout (an approximation, adjusted downward, of course), my weight.

That said, FJ was an instaget for me, including the first name.  I also got display -- and by the way, ladies, if "dance" is in the clue, it's not going to be the answer, and if mating dance is wrong, just dance isn't likely to be correct, either -- and Cuervo.  My buddy, Jose....

• Love 4

i would respect this game more if they gave an incentive to give both names in an answer. For example, you ring in first and give Kit Carson, you get $XXX more than if you just answered Carson. So if an answer on the board is worth $800, you'd actually get $1000 for giving both names. Or something like that......

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

but also I couldn't fully support her, a children's book reviewer, when she missed the DD of jumping.  If nothing else, "jumping to conclusions" is a fairly common phrase!

I just kept thinking of the Jump To Conclusions Mat in the movie Office Space. "It has all these different...CONCLUSIONS...that you can JUMP to!" "That's the worst idea I've ever heard."

• Love 9

Good grief!  Well, Gavin deserved to win because he gave the only correct answer for FJ, IMO.  I said "McCarthy" but ruled myself incorrect because I didn't know his first name.  What if Vicky was thinking of Kit McCarthy?

I didn't even get any TS today.  Boo hiss.  I need to go have a big, fat glass of wine.

• Love 8
(edited)

Count me in as being a bit incensed that they accepted "McCarthy" as a suitable answer. Once I had Charlie McCarthy, I got Cormac - as that sounded like an Irish King's name to me. And since the category was Contemporary Authors (I believe), Fitzgerald floored me. It's getting pretty close to a century past his prime, not too contemporary.

On the stealth plane question - I couldn't get over the pseudonym Ben Dover (Bend Over), I was laughing through to the next question. 

They were pretty decent boards for me tonight. It's always good to come away feeling fairly clever.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Lord almighty, we have had some frustrating games lately. I was sitting in my recliner sarcastically yelling about this "trio of REAL BRAIN SURGEONS over here," and clearly I am just bitchy and need a glass of wine or something, LOL.

I want to watch Jeopardy with you! I'll bring the wine.

Yeah, Mortimer Snerd. That's the first name that came to me, but I couldn't think of any Pulitzer Prize winners with the last name of Snerd. I couldn't think of any writers with the last name of Snerd. It took me a while to come to Charlie McCarthy, but the only writer I could think of was Mary McCarthy, but the clue said "he." I might have written down McCarthy just to write down something, but I figured a first name was needed.

I think the only TS I got was American Idol. I was kinda thinking of "jumping to conclusions" for the DD, but for some reason I didn't think that was right.

The clue about the children's book with a triceratops made me jot down the author, Oliver Butterworth. When I was little (in the 60s) I'm sure I read a book about a triceratops being friends with a boy. After that, it was my favorite dinosaur. It wasn't the Butterworth book, but I can't find the one that I read. I did come across The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek, which I'd also read, but I'm stuck on the triceratops one. More googling I guess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The clue about the children's book with a triceratops made me jot down the author, Oliver Butterworth. When I was little (in the 60s) I'm sure I read a book about a triceratops being friends with a boy. After that, it was my favorite dinosaur. It wasn't the Butterworth book, but I can't find the one that I read. I did come across The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek, which I'd also read, but I'm stuck on the triceratops one. More googling I guess.

Have you tried https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185-what-s-the-name-of-that-book

• Love 2

All I could come up with for FJ was Mahoney, as in the dummy Jerry Mahoney. Paul Winchell (his human) has been a panelist on the What's My Line reruns I've been watching, and I really didn't realize that there were other well-known ventriloquists and dummies in the 1950s. (Wait, wasn't Charlie McCarthy Candace Bergen's "brother"? Weird faint memories of hearing that.)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, dcalley said:

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. I browsed a bit thru the Butterworth book, and I really don't think it was that one, but sometimes (!) my memory plays tricks on me.

7 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

All I could come up with for FJ was Mahoney, as in the dummy Jerry Mahoney. Paul Winchell (his human) has been a panelist on the What's My Line reruns I've been watching, and I really didn't realize that there were other well-known ventriloquists and dummies in the 1950s. (Wait, wasn't Charlie McCarthy Candace Bergen's "brother"? Weird faint memories of hearing that.)

I forgot about Paul Winchell. I couldn't remember any ventriloquist other Bergen.

I think when Alex read FJ he should have added, "And you need to give the full name."

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did come across The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek, which I'd also read, but I'm stuck on the triceratops one. More googling I guess.

Oh my God - that's literally the first book I checked out of the Bookmobile with my very own library card! What a blast from the past. I think I did read a book about a tricertops as well, because like most kids that age, dinosaurs were my jam.

My brain does not work with TV show initials. I've learned to recognize a couple of them over time (OitNB and HtGAWM), but otherwise, my mind goes blank.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

When I was a kid (50s) we didn't have dinosaur books, but I did own a copy of Elmer and the Dragon (the cutest blue & gold striped dragon!!)

I didn't pay close attention yesterday, (Our condos are having our documents re-written and I have to go through the draft to find questions for the lawyer. MAN, is that time-consuming. No wonder nobody's done this since the condos were created in 1984) but I *did* get both names of Cormac McCarthy. Never read anything by him, but I knew his name. So we can assume he goes by "Charlie" ? He couldn't have become Charles McCarthy? No...he had to grab a king's name.  I don't think I'll even attempt to read anything by him. Pompous ass, if you ask me.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I was a kid (50s) we didn't have dinosaur books, but I did own a copy of Elmer and the Dragon (the cutest blue & gold striped dragon!!)

I didn't pay close attention yesterday, (Our condos are having our documents re-written and I have to go through the draft to find questions for the lawyer. MAN, is that time-consuming. No wonder nobody's done this since the condos were created in 1984) but I *did* get both names of Cormac McCarthy. Never read anything by him, but I knew his name. So we can assume he goes by "Charlie" ? He couldn't have become Charles McCarthy? No...he had to grab a king's name.  I don't think I'll even attempt to read anything by him. Pompous ass, if you ask me.

I haven't ready anything by him either. But given the choice, I'd have picked Cormac too. But then I have some issues attached to the name Charles and Charlie.

• Love 2

I was amazed they accepted just McCarthy for FJ - they really should have made it clear the first name was required.  I got the McCarthy part but have never heard of a writer named Brian Boru McCarthy.

i didn't really care who won so am okay with Gavin winning - at least he got FJ correct.

• Love 3

I was so relieved Gavin put Cormac McCarthy's full name. Too bad the judges don't have the same regard for their own game...

Anyway, FJ was an instaget for me. For TS I got American Idol, Levant, India & Pakistan, and my mom who's visiting for a few days got supreme court so I’m claiming that one too LOL

I blame Vicky's long pauses for leaving a total of 5 clues on the boards. That drives me nuts.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, Clanstarling said:

On the stealth plane question - I couldn't get over the pseudonym Ben Dover (Bend Over), I was laughing through to the next question. 

That made me chuckle as well.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:58 PM, peeayebee said:

I think the only TS I got was American Idol.

I was kind of confused by the TV Abbreviations category -- because they gave a TV season (I guess) and then the abbreviation. 
For the "What is Seinfeld ?" answer, the clue was 2007-2008 NBC, the Uproarious 'S' -- and I was trying to figure what show on NBC starting with an 'S' only lasted one season.  And I don't think I've ever heard Seinfeld described as uproarious.

I just burned through a 4 days of episodes after Monday's debacle -- the FJs were pretty easy this week, and there should have been 2 BMSs.  The McCarthy answer for Vicki and the Stallone answer -- because Frank Stallone was also in Rocky.  He didn't get any Oscar nominations, but there were two actors named Stallone in the same movie.

Jill with the flower on her glasses -- what the hell was that about ?

Sarah-Jane from Wednesday's show really did have a Lara Croft look going on there.

Uggh, another Kardashian clue.  Please, clue writers, please just stop -- if you stop invoking their names they will wither and GO AWAY.

The Podcast category on Wednesday's show kind of shows that podcasts aren't all that popular just yet -- I had a tough time getting 2 of 5 in that category.

Is GOAT really an acronym for 'Greatest of All Time' ?  Because I've never heard that used before..

That Korea answer really did demand a BMS on Thursday's show.

ETA: Because it's Lara Croft that's the Tomb Raider.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Is GOAT really an acronym for 'Greatest of All Time' ?  Because I've never heard that used before..

Oh Yes!!! Especially in the sports vernacular, i.e., Roger Federer!! 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Oh Yes!!! Especially in the sports vernacular, i.e., Roger Federer!! 

R. Kelly (blech) wrote a song with that title. That's where I first knew it, anyway. I think I heard it later in sports, like you mentioned. 

ETA I googled R Kelly and GOAT after posting this and ended up, hilariously, with videos of goats screaming to R Kelly songs.  I can't stop laughing! I love the Internet. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I was kind of confused by the TV Abbreviations category -- because they gave a TV season (I guess) and then the abbreviation. 
For the "What is Seinfeld ?" answer, the clue was 2007-2008 NBC, the Uproarious 'S' -- and I was trying to figure what show on NBC starting with an 'S' only lasted one season.  And I don't think I've ever heard Seinfeld described as uproarious.

I think the years were when the shows were #1 in the ratings. As far as the "Uproarious" thing, yeah, that puzzled me a bit. Seinfeld was very funny, but uproarious is a strange word to use. I figured it might be a reference to something the characters had said.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I think the years were when the shows were #1 in the ratings. As far as the "Uproarious" thing, yeah, that puzzled me a bit. Seinfeld was very funny, but uproarious is a strange word to use. I figured it might be a reference to something the characters had said.

Ah yes, I forgot about No. 1 aspect of the category.  But 'uproarious' was still a poor choice  to use to describe Seinfeld.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I see GOAT all the time, because I am a Packers fan who constantly sees the "Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady" GOAT debate on Twitter. For what it's worth, I don't think people should be considered for GOAT until the end of their athletic careers, since who knows what the future holds?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, teebax said:

I googled R Kelly and GOAT after posting this and ended up, hilariously, with videos of goats screaming to R Kelly songs.  I can't stop laughing! I love the Internet. 

I know what I'm going to be doing the rest of the evening... ;-)

• Love 6
(edited)

Not knowing "Hey Joe" when they were spotted that much of the lyrics is unforgivable.

I see GOAT all the time, because I am a Packers fan who constantly sees the "Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady" GOAT debate on Twitter. For what it's worth, I don't think people should be considered for GOAT until the end of their athletic careers, since who knows what the future holds?

As an unabashed hater of all things New England, I vote Rodgers, right now and for always.  I don't care how many rings Tommy has, because I know the two he does not booya!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I was torn between jellies (they aren't really fish) and octopus -- the blue-ringed octopus is pretty darned venomous -- but ended up with jellies, thinking of the tiny box jelly found near Australia.

I also got monomers, maiden, otoscope, Hey Joe, and stabilizers.  I liked the Jimi Hendrix category!  I also like the new champ. 

• Love 3

There weren't too many TS tonight, but I got Parker's Markers and stabilizers. FJ seemed easy to me because the word "boneless" kind of gave it away. Brought to mind that Will Smith movie, 7 lbs or something with the jellyfish. 

Congrats to the new champ. She started at the tops of categories and no annoying mannerisms. She reminded me of Sally Field as Norma Rae. 

• Love 5

Congrats to Deborah!

I call foul on Alex accepting executioner for executor.  I was fully expecting a correction after the break.  Come on, judges!

The only TS I got was Hey Joe.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He said "executer" which is wrong on several levels.

Eh, it's consistent with the spelling, so I'll give it a pass.  Reminds me of when I was a little kid, I thought a person whose job title was "executive" was the guy who pulled the switch on the electric chair!

Sally Field won :-)

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Explain please.

I got stabilizers and FJ. My attention wandered during the second round. Maybe I missed a Sally Field clue?

See below:

2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Congrats to the new champ. She started at the tops of categories and no annoying mannerisms. She reminded me of Sally Field as Norma Rae. 

• Love 5

What was with the tortured SNL reference in that Chevy Chase clue? It was so awkward, and such a stretch, I can't believe no one nixed that. It was something like "Chevy Chase was Pierce Hawthorne and you were not..." Yikes!

• Love 4

I tried reading some Cormac McCarthy - just couldn't even get into it...

Maybe because he doesn't use punctuation, ie no quotation marks?

That's the first thing Mr. Author said :-)

I said she looked like Sally from the nose up.

I liked her.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I call foul on Alex accepting executioner for executor.  I was fully expecting a correction after the break.  Come on, judges!

The problem I had in this game was with the judging on the title of Speke's book in the Journaling Journeyers category.

The book title is "The Journal of the Discovery of the Source of the Nile" -- so accepting 'what is origin of the Nile ?' is wrong simply because it was not the name of the book.
And that one answer changed the game outcome -- if Deborah was ruled incorrect, and say if Gavin rang in correctly, it would have changed the dollar amounts enough that Gavin would have been in the lead going into FJ.

Agreed, FJ was way too easy to be an FJ clue.

The stabilizers TS surprised me.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

There weren't too many TS tonight, but I got Parker's Markers and stabilizers. FJ seemed easy to me because the word "boneless" kind of gave it away. Brought to mind that Will Smith movie, 7 lbs or something with the jellyfish. 

I thought of the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. I don't know if it's still there - but they had the most amazing Jellyfish exhibit. They are so beautiful in the water (and so nasty washed up on the beach).

5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Maybe because he doesn't use punctuation, ie no quotation marks?

I hadn't read him, but now that I know that, I think I'll pass. Too freakin pretentious.

• Love 4

The oddest thing I saw was in Bar Harbor when the tide was out and the jellyfish were all flattened out on the rocks.  I can't remember if my husband answered if they come back to life when the tide comes in.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The oddest thing I saw was in Bar Harbor when the tide was out and the jellyfish were all flattened out on the rocks.  I can't remember if my husband answered if they come back to life when the tide comes in.

Well, do they?

My only ts was Parker's markers and dh got stabilizer.  I said stingray for FJ but really should have thought of jellyfish.

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

He said "executer" which is wrong on several levels.

I thought it was a simple mispronunciation of the correct word.  Alex straightened him out but was a little flummoxed before he realized the answer was correct.

"The problem I had in this game was with the judging on the title of Speke's book in the Journaling Journeyers category.

The book title is "The Journal of the Discovery of the Source of the Nile" -- so accepting 'what is origin of the Nile ?' is wrong simply because it was not the name of the book."

Did they want the name of the book or just what Speke was looking for?  I said "head of the Nile" because the word "source" escaped me.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Fex said:

What was with the tortured SNL reference in that Chevy Chase clue? It was so awkward, and such a stretch, I can't believe no one nixed that. It was something like "Chevy Chase was Pierce Hawthorne and you were not..." Yikes!

Yup. That was pretty bad, the writers trying too hard to be clever.

• Love 2