Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thank goodness Justin woke up in DJ and then won.  Swaying, grimacing George was making me stabby.

I got Booker T. Washington and rhinestone.

FJ was an instaget.  That's six FJ's in a row!  Now watch, I won't get another one for the rest of the season.

• Love 6
(edited)

I knew FJ but it didn't come to me until right at the end.  I was trying to think of government/america related songs other than God Bless America, America the Beautiful and Star Spangled banner, they were not it.  All I could come up with was taps, then finally came up with Hail to the Chief.  Interesting, didn't know that history

I got Kentucky and LSU on the sports arenas.  I was surprised no one got Kentucky at least.  I read Pete Maravich's biography several years ago, so knew that one.  (And on a side note his mom died many years ago at a hospital I used to work at, long before my time.  I learned that while reading the biography)

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
(edited)

i liked deborah and she appeared to be genuinely happy for justin last night.  i liked how they conversed with each other.  they both were animated with each other.  i've never seen that except maybe at toc.  it was nice to see.  i will be cheering for him!

Edited by jaybird2
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew FJ but it didn't come to me until right at the end.  I was trying to think of government/america related songs other than God Bless America, America the Beautiful and Star Spangled banner, they were not it.  All I could come up with was taps, then finally came up with Hail to the Chief.  Interesting, didn't know that history

I got Kentucky and LSU on the sports arenas.  I was surprised no one got Kentucky at least.  I read Pete Maravich's biography several years ago, so knew that one.  (And on a side note his mom died many years ago at a hospital I used to work at, long before my time.  I learned that while reading the biography)

i also got  uk and lsu....i've lived in both places

Edited by jaybird2
  • Love 3

My normally mild-mannered husband HATED the middle guy so much. "Why is he pronouncing everything weird?!?!" he was yelling.

FWIW, I could not for the life of me figure out WTF "official US government song" meant. At the time the clue was read, it was such a bizarre contextual clue that it hung me up completely.

• Love 3

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/04/518333087/hail-to-the-chief-fanfare-sought-by-some-presidents-avoided-by-others

Interesting article on Hail to the Chief from npr. 

He wasn't the first to use it, but James Polk made it popular to be used for the president.  Polk, probably the most underrated and most understated president, was not an impressive figure or one with a great stage presence, so he needed something to tell people he had arrived.  Kind of funny, basically needed something so he wouldn't be overlooked in the room.  His wife suggested the song be used for this purpose and it stuck. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

My normally mild-mannered husband HATED the middle guy so much. "Why is he pronouncing everything weird?!?!" he was yelling.

FWIW, I could not for the life of me figure out WTF "official US government song" meant. At the time the clue was read, it was such a bizarre contextual clue that it hung me up completely.

Because he is from Winnipeg? Although I didn't think he sounded *that* different from his opponents. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

I also had no idea what 'official US government song' meant. I didn't know there was one. The only song I could think of that wasn't the Star Spangled Banner was Battle Hymn of the Republic, as a common inauguration song.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

However, I did wonder if they would have accepted serum instead of plasma.  They are both the liquid component of blood, but one comes from blood that has been allowed to clot, and the other comes from unclotted blood. 

Thanks. I couldn't remember the difference, but I said serum.

The only TS I got were The Sound and The Fury and rhinestone.

Same here. I liked learning that rhinestone is named after the river where it was first made.

Speaking of river, was that one of the answers in the card word category? What does river have to do with cards?

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew FJ but it didn't come to me until right at the end.  I was trying to think of government/america related songs other than God Bless America, America the Beautiful and Star Spangled banner, they were not it.  All I could come up with was taps, then finally came up with Hail to the Chief.

Same here. I thought of Revelry then settled on Taps for some reason, though I couldn't figure out what that had to do with the info in the clue. Suddenly Hail to the Chief came to mind.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Speaking of river, was that one of the answers in the card word category? What does river have to do with cards?

It's a poker term, so specific to one type of card game.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was trying to think of government/america related songs other than God Bless America, America the Beautiful and Star Spangled banner, they were not it.

I came up with "My Country 'Tis of Thee" since it uses the music is the same as "God Save the King/Queen".

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He wasn't the first to use it, but James Polk made it popular to be used for the president.  Polk, probably the most underrated and most understated president, was not an impressive figure or one with a great stage presence, so he needed something to tell people he had arrived.  Kind of funny, basically needed something so he wouldn't be overlooked in the room.  His wife suggested the song be used for this purpose and it stuck. 

How did they NOT come up with a Polk-a?

• Love 5

I'm' currently reading The Age of Innocence so I thought for a second "Aggghhhh!!! Spoiler alert!" - then realized I can't complain about spoilers when reading a book written almost a hundred years ago. But the line wasn't particularly revealing, anyway. Phew!

I work in Hematology, so spend my days with plasma - that one was definitely an instaget for me!

Had no clue for FJ. Not sure if I even knew that was a song!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

Because he is from Winnipeg? Although I didn't think he sounded *that* different from his opponents. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

It wasn't an accent issue, or it didn't seem like one. It was all these random big words and proper nouns where he was pronouncing them like he'd only read them in books before but never heard them. I can't even come up with an example, sadly, as I haven't had coffee yet, haha

• Love 2

I didn't get to watch last night but my newspaper had a little blurb about Justin's second win and when they showed what he has won so far all I can think about is that NY is going to take 40%.  It's why I would be so pissed to get on Jeopardy! and come in third.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The pronunciation thing I noticed from the Canadian guy was intestines to rhyme with "fork tines," but there may have been others. 

That's the British pronunciation, too.  I'd almost forgotten he was from Canada until he said that.

• Love 2
(edited)

The movie with Jim Garner and Jack Lemmon, My Fellow Americans. I love that movie.  They are two ex-presidents from opposing political parties who end up on the run with each other.  And they admit at different points that they had each made up lyrics to sing in their heads to the music when they heard it played.  That one was James Garner's.  Lemmon's was "Hail to the chief or I'll blow your little head off..."

Somehow that made it an instaget for me. 

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3

The only ts I remember getting is rhinestone - cubic zirconia seemed an odd answer to something named after a river.

I liked fellow Canadian George but he didn't get FJ so that's that.  I still like Justin. 

Almost an instaget FJ for me, just a couple of seconds of thought.  My older son got married a couple of weeks ago; he had asked for suggestions for his entrance music and I jokingly suggested Hail to the Chief - he didn't think that would go over too well:)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It wasn't an accent issue, or it didn't seem like one. It was all these random big words and proper nouns where he was pronouncing them like he'd only read them in books before but never heard them. I can't even come up with an example, sadly, as I haven't had coffee yet, haha

I didn't notice anything about his pronunciation, but as someone who remembers being corrected on the pronunciation of "island" during a class read-aloud, I feel like sticking up for him now!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, dcalley said:

I didn't notice anything about his pronunciation, but as someone who remembers being corrected on the pronunciation of "island" during a class read-aloud, I feel like sticking up for him now!

I know, me too. There's a word or two I knew only from reading, and when I think back on how I must have said it out loud, I cringe just a little. 

The feed for Jeopardy was so bad we had to stop watching. Lots of digital artifacts, missed sound, etc.  First we switched on closed captioning, and then the recording stopped entirely. So we missed most of it. :( 

• Love 1
(edited)

Congrats to Justin. George needed to chill, he was super hyper probably due to nerves, but I did like that he didn't say the entire category name when choosing clues. Too many wrong guesses hurt him, and then the Americana FJ really did him in (I'm American & didn't get it). I liked Connie saying "no guts, no glory" when she wagered all in FJ.

TS I got were LSU (Geaux Tigers!), Booker T. Washington, rhinestones 

On 7/21/2017 at 11:19 PM, NorthstarATL said:

How did they NOT come up with a Polk-a?

Groan! Or should I say boo hiss? 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4

I knew rhinestones because my mother (who would be 96) taught me that good rhinestones came from the Rhine river.  Cubic zirconia are NOT rhinestones.  And what river is named Curbic or Zirconia???

• Love 4

I hope J.K. Simmons will forgive me for momentarily being unable to call his name.  I have loved his work since Oz, my first "serious" cable drama.  He was an electric, believable Nazi type.  Such a multidimensional actor...

Just avoid going into the supply closet of death with him.

A few days late but only one of them knew London??  

• Love 3

I did a binge this weekend to catch up, and I certainly haven't missed much.  I know this isn't like a sitcom where they can just "burn" the bad episodes, but if this is the quality we're going to be getting, I'm definitely ready for the summer hiatus.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scott said:

, I'm definitely ready for the summer hiatus.

If he didn't mention it on Friday (sorry, in Chicago, preempted for baseball and no way to record it at 2am), then probably next week (starting the 31st) will begin the annual 6 weeks of tournament reruns.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, illdoc said:

If he didn't mention it on Friday (sorry, in Chicago, preempted for baseball and no way to record it at 2am), then probably next week (starting the 31st) will begin the annual 6 weeks of tournament reruns.

I didn't hear if he mentioned it, but this is the last week of new shows. The teen tournament re-airs starting the 31st.

• Love 1

Aaron Sorkin was a TS? The horror...

Looked like more questionable wagering in FJ - the guy had ~$14K, the lady in the middle had ~$11K.  She bet it all, and was wrong, so she ended up with nothing, but if she was correct, she would have had $22K.  He got it right, but only wagered $4K, bringing his total to $18K. So if she was correct, she would have won.  I don't understand why he didn't wager enough to cover her doubling her score.

• Love 5

Perhaps it's because I share his profession, but I'm really digging Justin. I was sad to see him in a hole and glad he dug his way out. Hopefully he can keep his win streak up a little longer. Those wacky ties don't come cheap, you know...

My lol moment of the evening was my husband turning to me during FJ answer reveals and dead panning, "Ah yes, MIT and its world famous gunnery department." That seemed like an instaget to me.

• Love 11

I don't think "Cape Kennedy" should have been accepted. It's Cape Canaveral, or Kennedy Space Center.

For FJ I kept saying "the one at Annapolis, the Naval Academy!" I thought the actual name of the school was more complicated than just "Naval Academy".

• Love 13

So glad Shannon and her large jacket didn't win.  I would have been good with Emily or Justin winning, but MIT was just not a smart answer.  FJ seemed obvious to me -- almost too obvious and I tried to second-guess myself, but stuck with my instaget answer. 

Sloth?!?!?!?  I am still laughing about that one, and I'm also sad that Aaron Sorkin was a TS.  Other TS I got were The Daily Prophet, Meredith Wilson, clogs, the Clevelands (I probably would have said President Cleveland and his wife, whose name escapes me), and A Bronx Tale.

Perhaps one day I will read Animal Farm.  I was mostly lost during that category, although some things (like sheep) have seeped into everyday culture enough that I was able to make educated guesses.  And sometimes I was even correct (like sheep).

• Love 3

I was fine with all three contestants but impressed with Justin digging out of that hole. His wager was bad though.

My gets: Sorkin, clogs, heels, pumps DD, The Clevelands, A Bronx Tale, alcohol, and fj, although i considered the merchant marine and coast guard academies. I know someone would guess MIT. 

• Love 3

again, fj is too easy!  i can't believe the woman in the middle missed it.  way to go champ,  i really like him 

oh my!  i wrote this as soon as the answer was revealed.  i just noticed i didn't submit it...i guess i'm right up there with the lady in the middle......i didn't like her

• Love 1

My cable had a glitch for the first shoe question, but I assume the answer was clog. Did no one really ring in for that? It seemed so obvious!

• Love 1

I did a binge this weekend to catch up

I was visiting family in St Louis and kept missing their 4:30 airtime, so I too binge watched my DRV'ed eps. I liked Justin and I'm glad he won again today. I can't mock him for sloth because that was the first thing that popped into my head and I couldn't think of anything else with 6 toes. Do all cats have 6 toes?? Anyway, I think Teddy might have gotten a kick out of having a sloth as a pet. 

For TS I got Aaron Sorkin, A Bronx Tale, and Amelie. Like Emily I blew FJ by guessing MIT; I thought the references were technological rather than naval. But unlike Emily I would never call out the entire name of the category AND the amount AND "please" -- especially when there's only one category left -- so I feel comfortable saying I'm glad she didn't win.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ABay said:

For a second, I thought maybe it was the Coast Guard Academy in Groton, then sanity set in. 

I was thinking that too at first presuming that we'd probably have a naval academy earlier than that.  I decided on the Naval Academy anyway. 

3 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

But unlike Emily I would never call out the entire name of the category AND the amount AND "please" -- especially when there's only one category left -- so I feel comfortable saying I'm glad she didn't win.

No kidding, they reminded us at my audition to speed it up too.  

• Love 3

Great comeback for Justin! I don't think Alex knows who Eddie Vedder is (Shannon's FJ)

TS I got were The Daily Prophet (can't believe this was a TS!), Aaron Sorkin, Amelie, alcohol. I wonder if 'the Clevelands' would have been accepted or if they needed Grover & Frances. If so, I would not have gotten it right because I had no idea if Mrs. Cleveland was Frances, Francine, or any other variation of which Frankie could be a nickname. Shannon should have gotten a BMS for 'festivals', but after accepting Cape Kennedy, her not specifying music festivals was trivial.    

6 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Perhaps it's because I share his profession, but I'm really digging Justin. I was sad to see him in a hole and glad he dug his way out. Hopefully he can keep his win streak up a little longer. Those wacky ties don't come cheap, you know..

I'm also digging the way he dresses. Dr. Toothbrush said he looked like a highlighter today. lol 

3 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Do all cats have 6 toes?? Anyway, I think Teddy might have gotten a kick out of having a sloth as a pet. 

Not all cats. They are called polydactyl cats, and Ernest Hemingway was given one years ago. Dozens of 6-toed descendants of the original cat still live on Hemingway's estate in Key West, so they are also called Hemingway cats (not sure if this is an official name, or a 'known as' name). I love sloths, and are pretty sure they are my spirit animal. I signed up for a 5K just to make myself start running again! 

• Love 8

WTF was the woman on the end wearing? It looked like she walked into a restaurant that required jackets and had to borrow one from the "closet stock" (I was a server for years, writing my books during the day, waiting tables at night).

I ran the musical theatre category and almost ran Animal Farm (forgot Major).

I bitched so much over "festival," Mr. Author finally told me to hush (actually, he used stronger words than hush).

Did you know Teddy Roosevelt’s son had a garter snake he named Emily for a skinny aunt?

Neither did I. Until I researched Teddy for one of my novels. So I guess sloth isn't all that far out.

• Love 4

I thought the contestant said Jersey Boy instead of Jersey Boys and they gave it to her anyway. FJ seemed easy to me today, the word "gunnery" in the clue made the light bulb go on for me. Glad Justin won again. I agree with the other posters about the jacket lady. To me, it looked like she borrowed her boyfriend's/husbands jacket, guess that was her idea on how to look spiffy for a national TV appearance. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Great comeback for Justin! I don't think Alex knows who Eddie Vedder is (Shannon's FJ)

TS I got were The Daily Prophet (can't believe this was a TS!), Aaron Sorkin, Amelie, alcohol. I wonder if 'the Clevelands' would have been accepted or if they needed Grover & Frances. If so, I would not have gotten it right because I had no idea if Mrs. Cleveland was Frances, Francine, or any other variation of which Frankie could be a nickname. Shannon should have gotten a BMS for 'festivals', but after accepting Cape Kennedy, her not specifying music festivals was trivial.    

I'm also digging the way he dresses. Dr. Toothbrush said he looked like a highlighter today. lol 

Not all cats. They are called polydactyl cats, and Ernest Hemingway was given one years ago. Dozens of 6-toed descendants of the original cat still live on Hemingway's estate in Key West, so they are also called Hemingway cats (not sure if this is an official name, or a 'known as' name). I love sloths, and are pretty sure they are my spirit animal. I signed up for a 5K just to make myself start running again! 

His estate is a fun tourist spot.  I was there I think 4 years ago.  There were around 40 of the cats at the time all wondering around the estate. 

I knew FJ was a military academy but stupidly thought it was West Point.  I am sure west point predate the 1840s and the clue should have told me it was Navy, not army. 

I have read Animal Farm but it was many years ago, I don't recall all the details of the names of the animals. 

Surprised no one got Aaron Sorkin at least.  Also knew A Bronx Tale. 

• Love 2

I wish the champ wouldn't say "I'll bet 2" or whatever when he gets a DD. Two what? Two thousand? Two hundred? Two bucks? These are all possibilities. Stop making Trebek have to clarify what you mean repeatedly.

• Love 4

I have read Animal Farm but it was many years ago, I don't recall all the details of the names of the animals. 

I still remember Boxer because all these years later, his death still haunts me. 

And, I admit it. I also thought sloth. 

• Love 4