Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

When I hear six toes, I automatically think sloth. I, too, would have been in line for an Alex berating.

I thought the contestant said Jersey Boy instead of Jersey Boys and they gave it to her anyway.

I heard that too, and was sure they were going to correct it, but never did. More inconsistent judging.

Eddie Vedder???? What year is this? Isn't he, like, 70 at this point??!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew FJ was a military academy but stupidly thought it was West Point.  I am sure west point predate the 1840s and the clue should have told me it was Navy, not army. 

My first thought was West Point, then I reread the clue.  WP is older than that, and the navigation and gunnery part led me to the USNA.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

And, I admit it. I also thought sloth. 

Me too! And my response was basically like Justin's: "Why not?"  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, if any President were to have had a sloth in the White House TR would have my vote. 

• Love 8

Yay, Justin's on a roll!

Quick weird question.  I've noticed lately a lot of the contestants staring at something that's presumably not the J board when they answer. It's like they're looking slightly above the camera.  Mackenzie did it today.  Is it a monitor they're looking at themselves in or ?

I got Irving Berlin, Georgie Porgie, and Nebraska.

Alas, my phenomenal (for me) FJ streak of correct answers came to an end.  I thought Switzerland was too obvious, so I said Luxembourg.  Both were wrong.

• Love 6
(edited)

I only know two things about Andorra. That it has the highest capital in Europe (Andorra la Vella) is one of them. The other is that Andorra was technically at war with Germany from World War 1 until 1958 because it was left out of the Treaty of Versailles. It had declared war on Germany but hadn't sent anyone to fight because it didn't have an Army. Rarely does my Cliff Claven-esque weird trivia get asked about on Jeopardy, so it was an exciting day for me.

My gets were FJ, Irving Berlin, Georgie Porgie, Nevada, and protocol.

Someone should've told Mackenzie to stop looking at the damn scoreboard. I'm sure it's hard not to watch it, but he probably wouldn't have gotten so desperate if he'd relaxed and not worried about the score. When contestants do that, I imagine there's someone waving to them off to the side. It just looks bizarre.

Just now, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay, Justin's on a roll!

Quick weird question.  I've noticed lately a lot of the contestants staring at something that's presumably not the J board when they answer. It's like they're looking slightly above the camera.  Mackenzie did it today.  Is it a monitor they're looking at themselves in or ?

See my post; I think it's the scoreboard.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, teebax said:

I only know two things about Andorra. That it has the highest capital in Europe (Andorra la Vella) is one of them. The other is that Andorra was technically at war with Germany from World War 1 until 1958 because it was left out of the Treaty of Versailles. It had declared war on Germany but hadn't sent anyone to fight because it didn't have an Army. Rarely does my Cliff Claven-esque weird trivia get asked about on Jeopardy, so it was an exciting day for me.

My gets were FJ, Irving Berlin, Georgie Porgie, Nevada, and protocol.

Someone should've told Mackenzie to stop looking at the damn scoreboard. I'm sure it's hard not to watch it, but he probably wouldn't have gotten so desperate if he'd relaxed and not worried about the score. When contestant do that, I imagine there's someone waving to them off to the side. It just looks bizarre.

See my post; I think it's the scoreboard.

Interesting about Andorra.  Thanks!  And thanks for answering my question.  It must be the scoreboard.  I've noticed when people start doing that weird staring they invariably get nervous and don't do well.

• Love 2

I always forget about Andorra!  Like @CarpeDiem54, I figured Switzerland was too obvious, and also said Luxembourg.  Great minds think alike, even if we're both incorrect.  :)

TS I managed to get were Irving Berlin, Aristotle, Georgie Porgie, and Nevada.  I got Nevada because of the airport name -- I have no idea who that is or why he's important to the state.  And I was shouting Irving Berlin repeatedly at my TV -- I can't believe none of them heard me! 

Sloths have only three toes, not six, which is why I thought it was a hilarious answer.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I always forget about Andorra!  Like @CarpeDiem54, I figured Switzerland was too obvious, and also said Luxembourg.  Great minds think alike, even if we're both incorrect.  :)

TS I managed to get were Irving Berlin, Aristotle, Georgie Porgie, and Nevada.  I got Nevada because of the airport name -- I have no idea who that is or why he's important to the state.  And I was shouting Irving Berlin repeatedly at my TV -- I can't believe none of them heard me! 

Sloths have only three toes, not six, which is why I thought it was a hilarious answer.

You and I were probably screaming in sync then. I also only got Nevada because of the name of the airport and didn't know who McCarren was. Off-topic: I wonder when cities are going to start selling airport naming rights. We could be flying into The MGM Airport in Vegas, or the Philadelphia Cream Cheese Airport in Philly , or Starbucks Airport in Seattle, or Coca-Cola in Atlanta, etc.  Notice I said "when," not "if." It's only a matter of time.

• Love 3

This picture shows one of the player score displays visible to the left of the board.  Yes, some contestants spend too much time staring at it instead of concentrating on the game board.  

Jeopardy_Set33.thumb.jpg.2958101b332bdcfb3f8308949ccaa979.jpg

• Love 4

Despite the obviousness, I was sure Switzerland was correct for FJ. 

TS I got were Irving Berlin, Aristotle (guess), Georgie Porgie, Hawaii

18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

His estate is a fun tourist spot.  I was there I think 4 years ago.  There were around 40 of the cats at the time all wondering around the estate. I

I celebrated my 30th birthday in Key West, uh, lots more than 4 years ago ;-) I was all "kitties!!!" at the Hemingway estate, but poor Dr. Toothbrush's inhaler got a workout.  

14 hours ago, DXD526 said:

He's in his early 50s, but that was pretty random. I liked Pearl Jam as much as anyone back in the day, and he has a great voice, but I forget they exist until the Sirius-XM 90s or Lithium station plays one of their songs. 

• Love 3

TS I got tonight were Georgie Porgie and protocol. For FJ the only thing I could think of was Switzerland, but it was wrong. 

As the previous poster mentioned, yes, they have smaller scoreboards out of camera range visible to the contestants. It's definitely helpful to know your opponents score but as I remember from when I was on the show, I was so focused on the main board I didn't check it much. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, teebax said:

Cool facts. I have trouble remembering that Andorra is a real country. For some reason, as a kid, I thought it was a fictional one, and though I know better, it never comes to mind.

I knew Switzerland was too obvious, and knew it had to be somewhere in the Alps, so I chose Lichtenstein. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

This picture shows one of the player score displays visible to the left of the board.  Yes, some contestants spend too much time staring at it instead of concentrating on the game board.  

Jeopardy_Set33.thumb.jpg.2958101b332bdcfb3f8308949ccaa979.jpg

So the challenger on the end has to look the farthest away from the board to see his or her score? And the returning champ's score is the closest? Interesting!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I have no idea who Aaron Sorkin is. 

Oscar and Emmy winning writer of The Social Network (O), A Few Good Men, Moneyball, The American President, The West Wing (E), Sports Night, The Newsroom and several other films and television series.

• Love 5

Yeah, I cracked up at the attempt to pronounce Quebecois...he was trying to make it like 'francais', except Quebecois doesn't have a cedilla!

I am extremely sleep deprived, but it took me a second to get what they were asking for the 'riding' TS. I didn't know what they were looking for because they had already called them electoral districts in the clue. I wondered at first if they were asking for how many ridings there are.

I used to adore Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat as a child, so that was an instaget! Also got Book of Mormon, but had no idea for FJ.

• Love 6

Justin made me love him just a little bit more with his "On Wednesdays, we wear pink" rule.  Glad he won again, and I am enjoying his technicolor shirts. 

No idea for FJ tonight.  I can't be bothered with Hemingway.

I did get Saturday Night Fever, nerves, S.E. Hinton (that as a TS made me sad), Book of Mormon, and A Chorus Line.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I have no idea who Aaron Sorkin is. 

You are very lucky :-) 

I think my neighbors heard me yelling about the contestants total lack of knowledge about Broadway. That was painful to watch.  Also no one knew SE Hinton? They were never teenagers? 

I got FJ because I vaguely remembered  that Tracy was in The Old Man and the Sea. 

• Love 7

Yay, Justin!  I love that he wears pink on Wednesdays.  I bet his students learn a lot.  He seems like a smart cool dude.  I have a feeling Kellie doesn't have a clue who Spencer Tracy was, but I'd kill for her hair.  I can't laugh at Seth's "Quebecois" pronunciation.  I probably would have said Ke-bec-oys.  Hey, my cool dude teacher taught Latin.  The French teacher was a drip.

I got Saturday Night Fever, handsprings, Houdini, The Book of Mormon (missed DD), A Chorus Line, and Into The Woods.  Obviously, I like musicals.

Didn't get FJ.  Hemingway never crossed my mind.

• Love 9
(edited)

It never ceases to amaze me how often they manage to present clues that allow Alex to show off his French accent. 

Got Saturday Night Live, S.E. Hinton, Houdini (TS) and Book of Mormon (DD). Couldn't come up with any Spencer Tracy movie for FJ, totally blanked out.

Justin is on a roll. Can't wait to see what color shirt he wears next. 

Edited by Miss Chevious
Forgot FJ.
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I can't laugh at Seth's "Quebecois" pronunciation.  I probably would have said Ke-bec-oys.  Hey, my cool dude teacher taught Latin.  The French teacher was a drip.

Yeah, I don't speak French at all so I laughed more at Alex's pretentious, condescending correction than at Seth's attempt.

• Love 6

In my dream Jeopardy game, I would have Broadway musicals in every category ( with history sprinkled elsewhere) but with my luck, I would get tons of science and sports. 

I was sad no one got Houdini but my brain went down  a wormhole  on FJ - I was thinking Inherit the Wind but remembered too late it was a play not a book.  

• Love 5
(edited)

For FJ, I said Captains Courageous. I have no idea if it's a book or not. I just liked the movie.

Wow, just checked IMDB. Captains Courageous was released in 1937!!!! 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

I'm not a Hemingway fan by any means, but I did get FJ.

For FJ, I said Captains Courageous. I have no idea if it's a book or not. I just liked the movie.

It is indeed a book by Rudyard Kipling, but the movie appeared in 1937, not 1952. Not a bad guess, though--better than The Talented Mr. Ripley!

There was one answer that puzzled me: the one about George Cukor replaced by Victor Fleming in a classic 1939 movie. I was 100% sure the movie was Gone with the Wind, but The Wizard of Oz was ruled correct. Was Cukor replaced by Fleming twice in the same year? Ouch!

• Love 3

In my dream Jeopardy game, I would have Broadway musicals in every category ( with history sprinkled elsewhere) but with my luck, I would get tons of science and sports. 

Me too! I would kick BUTT at a Jeopardy board comprised entirely of Broadway lyric, vocabulary, and history questions. It's them damn geography and science questions that get me. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The Old Man and the Sea was written by John Steinbeck.  My first thought for FJ was Inherit The Wind.  Then I thought no, that's not right, it must be The Old Man and the Sea.  Those were some pretty strange answers for FJ.  I don't think Spencer Tracy was in any of those movies.  Glad Justin will be in the TOC.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

Hemingway wrote it.

I got Saturday Night Fever, Houdini, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, A Chorus Line, and the Book of Mormon DD. I didn't get FJ.

They weren't fans of musicals, were they?

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No it wasn't. I got a lot of TS including SE Hinton. 

I also thought FJ was easy.

Oops.  Don't know why I thought that.  Thanks for correcting. 

• Love 2

I like Justin even more after he quoted Mean Girls. I have a shirt with the same color-stripes pattern as today's tie. 

They're not fans of musicals I take it. I ran that category, including all 4(!) TS - Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Book of Mormon; A Chorus Line; Into the Woods. Other TS I got were Saturday Night Fever, SE Hinton (surprise TS), queen. I guessed Captains Courageous for FJ also. 

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There was one answer that puzzled me: the one about George Cukor replaced by Victor Fleming in a classic 1939 movie. I was 100% sure the movie was Gone with the Wind, but The Wizard of Oz was ruled correct. Was Cukor replaced by Fleming twice in the same year? Ouch!

I looked it up, and yes he was. Ouch indeed! The movie was described in the clue as a fantasy, so The Wizard of Oz is the one that fit. 

• Love 8

Same for my dream J! game, although I'd add books and authors (obviously, LOL) and maybe football (what Mr. Author calls "poofta footie").

My dreamiest dreamy dream is that I "can't be caught" (Mr. Author and I call it a lock, as in "He has a lock) and FJ is Broadway Musicals and, even though I have a lock, I bet everything and the answer is Once Upon a Mattress (or Green Willow or Candide) and the audience applauds madly (bigly?) and the next day, during the bios, Alex asks me to sing...

My first thought for FJ was Inherit The Wind.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It was my second and third thought, too. Oops.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I looked it up, and yes he was. Ouch indeed! The movie was described in the clue as a fantasy, so The Wizard of Oz is the one that fit. 

Thanks for the info. I missed the word "fantasy." 

• Love 3

I didn't get to see most of DJ. Sometimes I really hate being on the condo board. Damn phone calls come at the most inopportune times. If I don't answer, the Prez'll start texting me. Grrrrrr.

Hung up in time for FJ, for which I said Captains Courageous.

And in my opinion, GWTW *is* a fantasy.  (I live in metro Atlanta - there's never been another book or movie but that one.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Fex said:

You guys, I almost died laughing..... KE- BE - SWA is the best pronunciation for Quebecois I have ever heard.

To be fair, it's a tough word to say. I have trouble, and I generally do pretty well with French pronunciations (though my fluent daughter might disagree...)

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ because I vaguely remembered  that Tracy was in The Old Man and the Sea. 

I said Boys Town - because like @Browncoat, I can't be bothered with Hemingway (and besides, before looking him up in IMDB, I could only name two movies - Boys Town and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner)

• Love 4

As soon as the FJ! category was revealed I said "Hemingway" because "Novels" is ALWAYS Hemingway or Fitzgerald.  But I answered "Judgement at Nuremberg".......  I was sad that nobody got Houdini or S.E. Hinton.

• Love 2

I can't believe given "disco" Saturday Night Fever was a TS!!!! The two are synonymous !!!!  Also shocked at "Houdini" and "SE Hinton" (and I never even read those books).

• Love 6
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Sloth?!?!?!?  I am still laughing about that one,

I said Sloth as well.  For me, it was the "six-toed" in the clue and the fact that I knew TR had been to South America.  Although that was after he left the White House.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know that, lol.

Last night I took a wild guess and said Andorra for FJ - color me extremely surprised that it was correct!

On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, teebax said:

I was fine with all three contestants but impressed with Justin digging out of that hole. His wager was bad though.

My gets: Sorkin, clogs, heels, pumps DD, The Clevelands, A Bronx Tale, alcohol, and fj, although i considered the merchant marine and coast guard academies. I know someone would guess MIT. 

I got these and Meredith Wilson.  My dad loved The Music Man.

I hated The Old Man and the Sea with the passion of a thousand fiery nuns, and didn't realize that they'd made a film of it.  So obviously, no FJ for me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On ‎07‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, DXD526 said:

He's only six months older than I am and almost two decades shy of 70.  No, I did not know that - I had to look it up.

• Love 4

I knew Saturday Night Fever, though I always have to think about it and recall which is which between that and Staying Alive. 

Didn't know FJ.  No clue and didn't realize The Old Man and the Sea had a movie made about it.  Also didn't realize it was a 1950s era book, thought it was earlier. 

Should have known Houdini, kicking myself for missing that one

• Love 1