Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I also misinterpreted the clue, and thought the islands were the countries.  Obviously, I did not answer FJ correctly.

I did get lake, basalt and Mikado, though -- in fact, Mikado was an answer in a crossword puzzle I did earlier today, with more or less the same clue.  So, thanks, Eugene Sheffer!

I really wanted Tucker to wear his letter sweater every day.

• Love 4

Good gravy so many wrong answers and TS.

I was wrong on FJ too because I could not focus on what they wanted and also blanked on the countries in the Mediterranean and said Italy and Greece too.

Tucker and I are in the hive mind because I ALSO pronounced it "Cooba."  I did not give an accent to Peru, however.

I thought that girl said "Affirm" but isn't the horse named Affirmed?

• Love 7

I knew right away what islands they were referring to, so I got FJ with no hesitation today.  There were a lot of TS today, I got Hawthorne, Esther, India and Lake.

The champ looked a little older today. When he wore that letterman sweater, he looked like he was barely out of high school. But then I'm old, so everyone looks really young to me, haha. 

• Love 2

I thought that girl said "Affirm" but isn't the horse named Affirmed?

That's what I heard as well. 

I'm glad Tucker won again. I wouldn't have been able to take another week of the lady on the end blowing DD's. I got the two she missed in the DJ round, and for TS Bad Religion and Nero. I was too lazy to really work out FJ so I just guessed Italy and Greece.

• Love 2

Yay, Tucker!  We're having a wind storm and I only have an indoor antenna so my TV picture was pixelating a lot.  I missed some things but it seemed like there was an extreme amount of Goofy Guessing going on.

I got Lake and India.

I was thinking about Sicily and Sardinia (oops!  2 largest islands) so I said Italy and Spain for FJ.

• Love 4

I misunderstood FJ also, thought they wanted island countries, but wasn't even in the ballpark. I guessed Malta & Cyprus. Geography is clearly not in my wheelhouse. 

TS I got were lake, MA, & allegro. Too many guesses! 

I'm also glad that Tucker did not lose for being too correct, and was wondering if he was going to wear his grandpa's letter sweater again.

• Love 1

Well, I got to see Jeopardy for the first time since Thursday, so I'd first like to thank Golden State for getting the finals over with. It's been a frustrating week or so of missed episodes and taping random shit on ABC all night in the hopes that they'd air the local dude's episodes at some point. Oy.

As for this game, I got FJ fairly quickly based on the clue and then spent the rest of the think music wondering if Nostradamus was a doctor. 

My gets were: the DD of juncture; pharmacist, although I remember thinking middle guy's answer was okay; Dory; Berlin; and Long Island. I thought Tucker's response of Newman was sufficient, but I had trouble understanding the category and don't exactly remember how the clue was phrased.

Dylan (on the end) was making some painful facial expressions. I was hoping he wouldn't win because I didn't want him to be in pain. Also, at the end was he the one who told Alex he didn't know Nostradamus was French? I thought that was fairly common knowledge, although some of you will be along to tell me his being a doctor was common knowledge too...

I was surprised I ran the Beatles category. I think for the higher-valued clues they should've gone deeper into their catalog. I'm way more of a Stones fan; I don't really like the Beatles and still got them all correct.

Overall, it was an underwhelming game, buoyed by my happiness of having Jeopardy back on in Tucson.

• Love 5

As a hospital pharmacist, I was annoyed by that question. The PillPick doesn't do my job - not even a part of it. If anything, it does the job of a pharmacy technician or assistant, although we have actually hired more techs since getting a PillPick.

The guy's answer of 'administering a medication' was completely wrong and shouldn't have counted (that is a nurse's responsibility and the PillPick is nowhere near the patient), but I would have argued that 'pharmacist' is equally wrong. 'Dispensing a medication' is accurate enough for Jeopardy purposes, but that is not synonymous with a pharmacist.

Anyways, I'm glad the champ pulled through - I like him.

• Love 8

TS I got today were Mary Baker Eddy, jicama and Dory. DD I got was gout. 

Had no clue as to FJ, I didn't know Nostradamus was French either.

Dylan was a swayer, the middle guy made a gutsy wager near the end of the board, lost and made up a lot quickly, so I gotta give him props for that. Glad that Tucker won, he seemed the best of the lot.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, secnarf said:

As a hospital pharmacist, I was annoyed by that question. The PillPick doesn't do my job - not even a part of it. If anything, it does the job of a pharmacy technician or assistant, although we have actually hired more techs since getting a PillPick.

The guy's answer of 'administering a medication' was completely wrong and shouldn't have counted (that is a nurse's responsibility and the PillPick is nowhere near the patient), but I would have argued that 'pharmacist' is equally wrong. 'Dispensing a medication' is accurate enough for Jeopardy purposes, but that is not synonymous with a pharmacist.

Thanks for the insight. So what do you think the response should have been? Pill dispenser?

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

I didn't know either so I looked it up., his real name was the very French sounding Michel de Nostredame.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Blast!  I fell asleep and missed Jeopardy!  Glad to hear Tucker won again.  Sad to hear I missed my dream category - the Beatles.  Can't wait to see if I can run it on J Archives.

You'll totally run it if you're a fan and probably be disappointed they weren't more challenging.

• Love 3

No J! for me because of Jeff Sessions' testimony. Glad Tucker won, and boo hiss that I missed a Beatles category!

2 hours ago, teebax said:

Well, I got to see Jeopardy for the first time since Thursday

I thought about you being able to watch J! again when I heard that the NBA finals were over. And then I missed it due to Jeff Sessions' testimony. 

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

My dad is a pharmacist too. I'll have to ask him about the PillPick, but I'll leave out the part where the J! clue writers think it does your job for you! 

• Love 3

I got Mary Baker Eddy, jicama, juncture, gout, and Berlin.

I thought that Greek Letters category was really confusing. Some of the clues called for actual Greek letters, like Beta and Omega, and some, like "Hello, Newman" had one syllable that happened to be a Greek letter.

I didn't get FJ either, since I didn't know Nostradamus was A) French and B) a doctor. I was sure the time was too early for Pasteur. I was wracking my brains trying to think of a French doctor painted by a famous artist.

• Love 3
(edited)

Add me to Team Didn't Know Nostradamus Was French. I don't think I got any TS but I did get the missed gout DD.

Alex was particularly snippy today IMO, starting off with dissing Tucker's "small" $4K win, then jabs at Dylan for most of the match for being in 3rd, the lengthy explanation of puncture/juncture, and so on. I said "Shut up, Alex" so many times I lost track of the game.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, secnarf said:

Wait. You mean all that schooling isn't just to learn how to pull a bottle off a shelf and put it into other bottles? (Thanks for weighing in! I don't think enough people understand the awesome expertise of pharmacists!) 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

I wondered about this, so thank you for setting the record straight!

In the same category, was "concierge" a TS? I thought it was a pretty easy one given that the clue said it is nicknamed Connie. But perhaps they were thrown off, thinking it was named after Conrad Hilton. And maybe it is kind of named after both.

The robot I work with is named.... Robbie. So creative, lol! Usually there are contests or polls for naming things, but in this case, he came with the name.

• Love 4

Anyone in the DC area?  I'm travelling there today and hope I'll be checked in to my hotel in time for Jeopady tonight, but I don't know what time or what channel -- help!  And thanks! 

Unfortunately, I'll miss tomorrow night because I'll be watching Kevin Kline on stage instead.  :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Anyone in the DC area?  I'm travelling there today and hope I'll be checked in to my hotel in time for Jeopady tonight, but I don't know what time or what channel -- help!  And thanks! 

Unfortunately, I'll miss tomorrow night because I'll be watching Kevin Kline on stage instead.  :)

I'm not there, but according to the Jeopardy website, it airs at 7:30 pm on ABC. 

• Love 3

Such a strange episode.   I can understand folks not knowing jicama (I would have spelled it for safety.   I think it is Hic-ca-ma) and Can't Buy Me Love, but Gout?   Odd.   I thought FJ was crazy hard.   I remember hearing in college that Nostrodamus was Greek (and he predicted a mass murder at every college with a cemetery on a hill in the new world (which of course, perfectly described mine) and that it had been on Oprah (it wasn't)).

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

3 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm not there, but according to the Jeopardy website, it airs at 7:30 pm on ABC. 

Yes, travelers can find out the local Jeopardy airing at https://www.jeopardy.com/about/find-your-station with a zip code. It's channel 7 in DC.

Ooh, Kevin Kline *heart eyes*. But what's he doing in DC?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

TS I got today were Mary Baker Eddy, jicama and Dory. DD I got was gout. 

Dylan was a swayer, the middle guy made a gutsy wager near the end of the board, lost and made up a lot quickly, so I gotta give him props for that. Glad that Tucker won, he seemed the best of the lot.

I got Dory and gout, mainly because my brother has gout - he said it feels like his toe is giving birth when he has an attack.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Ooh, Kevin Kline *heart eyes*. But what's he doing in DC?

He isn't -- he's in NYC, in a Noel Coward play, for which he won a Tony.  I'm driving to DC today in order to take a train to NY -- it's convoluted, but actually the easiest and least expensive way for me to get to midtown/theatre district from where I live (in the back of beyond in VA).

Also, thanks @teebax and @dcalley for the station information!  I have no idea what the zip code is where I'm headed, though I suppose I could just Google any place in northern VA.  :)

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have no idea what the zip code is where I'm headed, though I suppose I could just Google any place in northern VA.

Does your hotel reservation info have their address? It should include the ZIP.

• Love 1
(edited)

@Moose135, probably, but it's so much easier to let y'all find it for me.  :) and LOL!  

ETA: That really was the easiest Beatles category ever.  Good grief.  I don't think I ever would have gotten FJ though.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3

Author...1920's....of course it's Fitzgerald! Don't know who that was that the (former) champ guessed, but doesn't he know J! rarely thinks "outside the box". There is a regular group of authors they use and don't often stray from them. 

• Love 7

Yay Phil! His reaction to winning was sweet and he had good knowledge (except for that Adam & Eve DD he blew). I'm glad dull Becca is off my TV.

Author...1920's....of course it's Fitzgerald! Don't know who that was that the (former) champ guessed, but doesn't he know J! rarely thinks "outside the box". There is a regular group of authors they use and don't often stray from them. 

That's exactly how I got it!

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Phil's okay, but he started in the middles of categories a couple of times and pissed me off.

This!

I got Adam and Eve (missed DD) and blazes.

I felt exceptionally stupid today.  I'll blame it on the heat.  I was clueless for FJ.  *hangs head in shame*

• Love 6

I cannot believe she did not bet enough to win.  So incredibly stupid.  She WORKS IN A LIBRABRY and the category is BOOKS AND AUTHORS, and you don't wager enough to win? 

The stupid FJ wagering is ruining my enjoyment of this show.  So many times in the past several weeks, just baffling bets

• Love 10
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I cannot believe she did not bet enough to win.  So incredibly stupid.  She WORKS IN A LIBRABRY and the category is BOOKS AND AUTHORS, and you don't wager enough to win? 

The stupid FJ wagering is ruining my enjoyment of this show.  So many times in the past several weeks, just baffling bets

Especially since a FJ about books and authors is usually pretty easy for the average bear, Boo Boo. (Said in my best Yogi voice.) So she, as a librarian, could comfortably surmise that she'd get it before AT finished reading the question. I know I got it before he finished reading it. I bet she gets ribbed at work about her lame wager.  And the new champ was stunned. I believe his chin fell on the floor!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Arnold J. Toynbee

Impressive that Tucker knew the name, but a Goofy Guess in that he did not go to Princeton and did not write novels. Of course Author + Princeton = F. Scott Fitzgerald, just as President + Princeton = Woodrow Wilson.

@GREEKGEEK -- Were you thinking of Dr. Gachet, as painted by Van Gogh?

Yes, I knew it was something like that, but kept thinking, "Guiteau? Gaudet?" I thought some Renaissance artist also did a doctor portrait, though not a French one. 

• Love 2

Becca's wage was nuts. As others have said, she works in a freaking library! How could she not wager a mint on a Books & Authors category. I guess she was counting on Phil to get it wrong. I have to say, girl sure has a poker face. New champion sure was shocked that he won! I like him, but he needs to learn to start at the top of the categories. I knew Tucker was going to be gone as soon as his opponents were good enough that his safe FJ wagers would not cover his incorrect answers. He's very likable, but after his first win I was not impressed with his playing. 

TS I got were Adam & Eve (missed DD) & blazes. I just knew the Stan category was going to be about my nemesis, geography. I easily got Pakistan, and guessed Uzbekistan  since it was the only one I could think of that starts with U. Dr. Toothbrush really wanted Trebekistan to be an answer!

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I felt exceptionally stupid today.  I'll blame it on the heat.

Don't feel bad - I couldn't think of Mary & Joseph! I said Jesus' parents. d'oh! 

• Love 6

I'm sorry to see Tucker go but okay with Phil.  Anyone who wagers that badly on FJ shouldn't be permitted to win, Becca.

I got Adam and Eve and annihilation. FJ was an instaget for me. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I haven't had a  lot of Biblical stuff going on since Bible Credit in high school, but I thought that "tidings of great joy" quote was to the shepherds in the fields not to Joseph and Mary.

I had forgotten about this one! Yes! The Angel appeared to the shepherds tending their flock. This passage was not to Mary and Joseph. I can't remember....did the show give someone credit for answering M&J?

• Love 4

I was confused about that as well.  I thought it was the shepherds, but based on the category, Mary and Joseph seemed to be who they were going for.

Its confusing because multiple angels appear in the Christmas story

One appeared to Mary to tell her about her pregnancy of Jesus

One appeared to Joseph in a dream to reassure him Mary was a virgin despite her pregnancy and tell him to take her as his wife

And then one appeared to the shepherds when Jesus is born. 

I don't recall where one appears to both Mary and Joseph together.  Maybe the wording of the question was different than I recall though

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Becca's wage was nuts. As others have said, she works in a freaking library! How could she not wager a mint on a Books & Authors category. I guess she was counting on Phil to get it wrong. I have to say, girl sure has a poker face. New champion sure was shocked that he won! I like him, but he needs to learn to start at the top of the categories. I knew Tucker was going to be gone as soon as his opponents were good enough that his safe FJ wagers would not cover his incorrect answers. He's very likable, but after his first win I was not impressed with his playing. 

TS I got were Adam & Eve (missed DD) & blazes. I just knew the Stan category was going to be about my nemesis, geography. I easily got Pakistan, and guessed Uzbekistan  since it was the only one I could think of that starts with U. Dr. Toothbrush really wanted Trebekistan to be an answer!

Don't feel bad - I couldn't think of Mary & Joseph! I said Jesus' parents. d'oh! 

Mr and Mrs King of the Jews, Son of God

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I haven't had a  lot of Biblical stuff going on since Bible Credit in high school, but I thought that "tidings of great joy" quote was to the shepherds in the fields not to Joseph and Mary.

26 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I had forgotten about this one! Yes! The Angel appeared to the shepherds tending their flock. This passage was not to Mary and Joseph. I can't remember....did the show give someone credit for answering M&J?

I thought the same thing, but shepherds did not fit the category, so went with Mary & Joseph. However, I did not remember angels visiting M+J together - Gabriel appeared to Mary to tell her she would have a son, and then an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream. If I'm not mistaken (& I've had a glass of wine & slept since watching ;-) ), the verse in the clue was from John, and the Christmas story most often told is Luke's version, so maybe it differs. Or, I may not know what I'm talking about. In any case, I could not think of Mary & Joseph's names, and blurted out "Jesus' parents".  Not awesome for someone who went to Catholic school from K-12.

And yes, someone received credit for M+J.  

ETA: What DrSpaceman73 said ;-) 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2

Excited for the new champ.   I too thought the librarian had this and can only wonder if she thought no one else would know the answer.

Also, Alec was kind of rude introducing Tucker.   Yes, he has been a great wagerer and he did technically get both FJs wrong, but one was because he gave the correct island names instead of their countries.   I am still mad about that.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

In the similes category, I was starting to feel all superior when I got two TS in a row (blazes and life), but then had my ego checked when I had never even heard of the last one! Ha! I can't remember it now. It was a place name? 

I guessed Fitzgerald based on the year and eastern USA. I will have to try to remember Fitzgerald=Princeton from now on.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

There were many complaints on another (nameless) board that said the FJ clue had bad pronoun reference.  I didn't see anything vaue about it.

The complaints were about the "clue of the day" posted on Jeopardy.com, not the wording used on the show itself. The website had

THIS FIRST NOVEL, FROM 1920, INCORPORATED SOME OF HIS PIECES FROM THE NASSAU, A PRINCETON LITERARY MAGAZINE

which is obviously very different from "His first novel..."

• Love 1
16 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yay Phil! His reaction to winning was sweet

So sweet!  It was adorable ... I thought he was going to cry! 

My daughter said the shepherds as well, so she will feel vindicated after I tell her about these comments.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

The angel in the clue said "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people," right? That's definitely Luke 2, definitely to the shepherds.  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+2&version=KJV

For me, the clue was very inadequately written. That's exactly the passage I thought of but I think the category was either Biblical Pairs or Biblical Duo. So I knew the answer probably wasn't "two shepherds" and they were looking for proper names. I know that Mary and Joseph were visited by angels at separate times before the birth, but the clue included wording of glad tidings or something like that which misled me to the Luke passage.

• Love 3