Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I used to be a Tom Cruise fan until, well the divorce between him and Nicole happened and he fired his publicist, who had a fucking fantabulous job of keeping his mouth shut about how involved in Scientology he was. Then the floodgates opened, the couch jumping, acting as if taking vitamins was the way to treat post-partum, etc., etc.

BUT. When I was a fan, I watch all his movies the weekend they came out. I can think of two roles that were so opposite and different from most of his roles: Ron Kovic in Born on the Fourth of July (probably because it was based on a real person who was still living)-I remember wanting him to win the Oscar for that. I hadn't even heard of Daniel Day-Fucking! Lewis! until after. So in hindsight, I'm glad that Daniel got the Oscar for My Left Foot. The other was Collateral. with Jamie Foxx. And for honorable mentions, his HILARIOUS stint in Tropic Thunder.

But I'm still going to see Maverick, because, well, just because.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ron Kovic in Born on the Fourth of July (probably because it was based on a real person who was still living)-I remember wanting him to win the Oscar for that.

I remember going to the movies to see that thinking there was no way Cruise wasn't going to win the Oscar.  Up to that movie he played roles that didn't require a lot of range.  But he was exceptionally good in that role.

31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

. The other was Collateral.

Just the other night I watched Going Clear the Scientology documentary and having seen Tom talk about Scientology for their own videos I can see where Tom got the motivation for playing that role.  When Tom talks about Scientology it's almost chilling.

33 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I used to be a Tom Cruise fan until, well the divorce between him and Nicole happened and he fired his publicist, who had a fucking fantabulous job of keeping his mouth shut about how involved in Scientology he was. Then the floodgates opened, the couch jumping, acting as if taking vitamins was the way to treat post-partum, etc., etc.

I remember all that. It was like someone flipped a switch and he became this jibberish spouting pod person or something.  I wonder if someone has kept him on a tighter leash now because I don't remember the last time I heard him publicly talk about Scientology.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

BUT. When I was a fan, I watch all his movies the weekend they came out. I can think of two roles that were so opposite and different from most of his roles: Ron Kovic in Born on the Fourth of July (probably because it was based on a real person who was still living)-I remember wanting him to win the Oscar for that. I hadn't even heard of Daniel Day-Fucking! Lewis! until after. So in hindsight, I'm glad that Daniel got the Oscar for My Left Foot. The other was Collateral. with Jamie Foxx. And for honorable mentions, his HILARIOUS stint in Tropic Thunder.

But I'm still going to see Maverick, because, well, just because.

Have you seen Magnolia? He was excellent in that.

• Love 2
On 7/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hadn't even heard of Daniel Day-Fucking! Lewis! until after. So in hindsight, I'm glad that Daniel got the Oscar for My Left Foot.

DDL is an actor who immerses himself in his characters so much, that I can’t see DDL.  There are very few actors who do that for me.

But I still can enjoy an actor who doesn’t.  Tom Hanks, for example.  Also, Antony Starr is one who disappears in a role (granted I’ve only seen him in two things) but Karl Urban I see the actor.  I still enjoy watching these actors thoroughly.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

DDL is an actor who immerses himself in his characters so much, that I can’t see DDL.  There are very few actors who do that for me.

But I still can enjoy an actor who doesn’t.  Tom Hanks, for example.  Also, Antony Starr is one who disappears in a role (granted I’ve only seen him in two things) but Karl Urban I see the actor.  I still enjoy watching these actors thoroughly.

Gary Oldman was really good at disappearing, too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, DDL is the one for me.  His Cecil Vyse from A Room With a View was the character that really sold me on him as an actor.

• Love 6

I always giggled at my mother's dislike of Shirley MacLaine. It was more than dislike, my mother LOATHED Shirley. The mere mention of Shirley would send my mother into a rant. A friend of mine would, on purpose, say the name of one of Shirley's movies or her name just to see my mother go off. It was comical. "That woman thinks she is God's gift to acting" "I can't stand that woman" "Shirley MacLaine has no talent and she is ugly, too". Hahahahaha.

For me, Tom Cruise, Charlize Theron and Gwyneth Paltrow are just a few celebrities I can't stand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

The thing about Daniel Day-Lewis is that he is a great performer, but he's one of those people who give me a "My dear boy, why don't you just try acting" attitude.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've posted this before, but I think Daniel Day Lewis has some deep-seated psychological issues/trauma that motivate his extreme method acting approach and it has nothing to do with craft. It's way more to escape himself than anything else. I say that as someone who likes him as an actor, but I don't think he's operating from a place that is emotionally very healthy. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Isn't he one of those who uses "I'm a method actor" as an excuse to be an asshole?  I've got no time for those men.

(And, yes, it's always men who not only turn what is simply one of many acting processes into a pretentious, showboating exercise in narcissism but use it as a supposed excuse for, at best, a lack of basic civility and, at worst, harassment and abuse; we're not hearing about people being menaced by Hilary Swank, Lupita Nyong'o, Tyne Daly, Jane Fonda, Estelle Parsons, Claire Danes, Ellen Burstyn, Sally Field, Rooney Mara, etc.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Isn't he one of those who uses "I'm a method actor" as an excuse to be an asshole?  I've got no time for those men (and, yes, it's always men).

It's funny this has come up because I was listening to a podcast interview with Julianne Moore (who I adore and would not nominate for this thread) yesterday and she said something very interesting to me.  She said that she likes small talk with coworkers on a set because it basically keeps her loose and then jumping into a scene feels less performative, even if the character is a departure from her actual self.  So there are clearly other ways that work for other people.  Obviously everyone has a right to their own process but that's not an excuse to be asshole.    

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Isn't he one of those who uses "I'm a method actor" as an excuse to be an asshole?  I've got no time for those men.

(And, yes, it's always men who not only turn what is simply one of many acting processes into a pretentious, showboating exercise in narcissism but use it as a supposed excuse for, at best, a lack of basic civility and, at worst, harassment and abuse; we're not hearing about people being menaced by Hilary Swank, Lupita Nyong'o, Tyne Daly, Jane Fonda, Estelle Parsons, Claire Danes, Ellen Burstyn, Sally Field, Rooney Mara, etc.)

I've never seen him be accused of using it to be am asshole, ala Jared Leto. But he has hurt himself.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've never seen him be accused of using it to be am asshole, ala Jared Leto.

I know I read he thoroughly infuriated crew members on the set of a film in which he played a character who used a wheelchair by making them carry him around as if he could not actually walk in real life, and I think there have been other Leto-like stories, but I'd have to do some reading (it would be easy to do, as a search for "is daniel day-lewis an asshole" certainly generated a lot of hits).

• Useful 5
58 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know I read he thoroughly infuriated crew members on the set of a film in which he played a character who used a wheelchair by making them carry him around as if he could not actually walk in real life, and I think there have been other Leto-like stories, but I'd have to do some reading (it would be easy to do, as a search for "is daniel day-lewis an asshole" certainly generated a lot of hits).

Yeah I hadn't heard that one. The one I'm the most familiar with is him making himself sick because he refused to wear a coat that wasn't period appropriate. I don't doubt he can be difficult, but I've never heard anything about him on the same level of Jared Leto sending his coworkers condoms. Still I agree that method acting often seems to be an excuse to act like a jerk.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree about Jon Hamm, he just doesn't interest me.     My mother loved the Ed Sullivan novelty performers, like Senor Wences (? spelling), Liberace, and she really loved Bob Barker, I couldn't stand any of them.    Then, the Lawrence Welk worship from her and her sisters was so over the top.   

I felt so sorry for the ones that worked for him, because he made the money, and their contracts were ironclad.    The performers worked year round, long hours, and Welk raked in the dough.   Then, the whole tragic event where one sister's stalker killed their father was horrible.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/17/2022 at 8:27 PM, kiddo82 said:

It's funny this has come up because I was listening to a podcast interview with Julianne Moore (who I adore and would not nominate for this thread) yesterday and she said something very interesting to me.  She said that she likes small talk with coworkers on a set because it basically keeps her loose and then jumping into a scene feels less performative, even if the character is a departure from her actual self.  So there are clearly other ways that work for other people.  Obviously everyone has a right to their own process but that's not an excuse to be asshole.    

This is the thing. I don't mind actors who want to go and live in the woods for a month, to prepare for a role, like Day-Lewis did for Last of the Mohicans. As long as you're not bothering anyone, you do you, buddy, even if there is the "why don't you try acting? It's much easier" question.

But if you're refusing to break character on set, at the very least you're being a passive arsehole to your co-stars and the crew. You're failing to respect the processes of other people, while demanding they respect yours.

I don't really get how it would work, either? How does the director give 'Abe Lincoln' notes on his performance? If he's truly in-character, he shouldn't even know what a film is, let alone how to act in one.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

But if you're refusing to break character on set, at the very least you're being a passive arsehole to your co-stars and the crew. You're failing to respect the processes of other people, while demanding they respect yours.

I don't really get how it would work, either? How does the director give 'Abe Lincoln' notes on his performance? If he's truly in-character, he shouldn't even know what a film is, let alone how to act in one.

I can't even imagine how hard it must be do deal with that kind of actor. Maybe if the actor is playing a relatively normal character it might not be too terrible, but a lot of these method actors are playing extreme characters and if I were on break from acting in a scene with a serial killer tormenting me, I don't want to have to deal with an actor who continues to act like a serial killer after the director yells cut. 

I hadn't even thought of it from a directors POV. That would be a nightmare!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

How does the director give 'Abe Lincoln' notes on his performance? If he's truly in-character, he shouldn't even know what a film is, let alone how to act in one.

You give him notes, and he haughtily reminds you that he wrote the Gettysburg Address and doesn't need your help. LOLOL 

But yeah I agree. I get some aspects of not breaking character, like actors who are using a different dialect or accent deciding to just continue rolling with it during breaks or maybe not feeling like you can be in the head space to be goofy in between takes. But denying basic reality is a bit much.

Any time there is a discussion of people going overboard with method acting, I think of Olivier's "why don't you try acting" quip but also Stephen Lang's thoughts on the subject, particularly where he calls it "self-indulgent" and "masturbatory":

In terms of the method, I’ll say to you: “Method” is on everybody’s mind these days. There’s a lot of method stuff going on out there. I guess the cynic in me is saying, “Look, I’m as capable of abusing the method as the next guy. But we are imbued as a generation of actors. We’re not the first generation—it’s been a number of generations. We are imbued with the method. Whether you consider yourself a method actor or not, the odds are that you are employing processes and techniques that are method-oriented. It’s got to do with naturalism and it’s got to do with your relationship to the role. That’s just the way it is. The method was a response to another type of acting that really just doesn’t exist. I don’t want to get into it too much, but there’re a lot of people who are claiming the method, and it’s complete and utter bullshit (laughs). There’s no understanding of what it really is. Basically, they are substituting some kind of self-indulgent, masturbatory practice for what, in fact, is hard work. It’s gimmicky. There’re people who are using it as gimmicks, and there are also people who are claiming it and using it as career advancement.

I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is quite as sinister about it as Jared Leto or some other actors I've heard of, but the more stories I hear about him on the set, the more convinced I am that he is not really entirely sound of mind and uses it as an excuse to disappear into a character rather than have to be himself. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that Gary Oldman really freaked out his neighbors because he wouldn't break character when he was playing Dracula. It's utterly ridiculous to take it that far.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that Gary Oldman really freaked out his neighbors because he wouldn't break character when he was playing Dracula. It's utterly ridiculous to take it that far.

"Ah've travelled oceansss of time.."

"You traveled across my lawn Gary, piss off!"

• LOL 22
On 7/22/2022 at 6:42 PM, Zella said:

I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is quite as sinister about it as Jared Leto or some other actors I've heard of, but the more stories I hear about him on the set, the more convinced I am that he is not really entirely sound of mind and uses it as an excuse to disappear into a character rather than have to be himself. 

I wouldn't say that I think he's not entirely sound of mind, but I would say I think he's not very comfortable in his own skin and that's at least partly why disappearing into characters that way he does is so appealing to him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't say that I think he's not entirely sound of mind, but I would say I think he's not very comfortable in his own skin and that's at least partly why disappearing into characters that way he does is so appealing to him.

There are other reasons I think he is not mentally well, especially with the combined effect. Otherwise I'd agree he is just super awkward. 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:02 AM, cincivic said:

I always giggled at my mother's dislike of Shirley MacLaine. It was more than dislike, my mother LOATHED Shirley. The mere mention of Shirley would send my mother into a rant. A friend of mine would, on purpose, say the name of one of Shirley's movies or her name just to see my mother go off. It was comical. "That woman thinks she is God's gift to acting" "I can't stand that woman" "Shirley MacLaine has no talent and she is ugly, too". Hahahahaha.

The best quip about Shirley MacLaine and her New Age philosophy: “Shirley MacLaine—who does she think she was?”

That’s funny about your mom. With my mother it was Henry Fonda. According to her, she saw him giving a box office worker holy hell and doing the “Do you know who I am?” number. I guess the “compassion for the little guy” of his screen persona didn’t carry over into real life. But I could never watch a Henry Fonda movie without hearing about his rudeness.

• Wink 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

With my mother it was Henry Fonda. According to her, she saw him giving a box office worker holy hell and doing the “Do you know who I am?” number. I guess the “compassion for the little guy” of his screen persona didn’t carry over into real life. But I could never watch a Henry Fonda movie without hearing about his rudeness.

Well, it surely carried over to his daughter Jane. I actually lived directly across the street from her in Santa Monica, California (our little street ended right on the beach) while she was married to Tom Hayden. And she was a total bitch - devoted to all sorts of left wing political causes while being a complete snob towards everyone on the street and putting on the act of being "one of the people" while being picked up a huge black limo to go to events...and their kids were basically raised by the help. I can't stand the sight of her to this day. (Tom was nice though...I have no idea what men saw in her...I mean she was very pretty, due to extensive plastic surgery, back in the day but so self absorbed.)

• Fire 1
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

FWIW, my paternal grandmother saw Henry Fonda in the Manhattan Macy's Department store in the early 1960's and Nana told him that she'd always enjoyed his work and he politely thanked her. It may have been a fluke or he possibly may have been intimidated by a 4 foot ten inch tall late middle aged woman.

However, since this thread is for those we cannot stand, I WILL relate a tale I'd heard about his elder daughter Jane in which sometime in the mid 1970's she got to her dressing room and when someone called her 'Miss Fonda,' she immediately got pious about that saying ' There are NO titles and we are all equals! ' then, without missing a beat, added, 'Where's my makeup girl?'

As for Miss MacLaine, she sent her 2-year-old only child Sachi Parker  on a transpacific flight to Japan without anyone but flight attendants accompanying this tiny child for the purpose of the girl's legal father (her estranged husband Stephen Parker) to raise her there. Yet, not only did she NEVER come clean for WHY she pawned off this tiny child to her husband  (who wound up being a rather neglectful guardian  himself)  but she wrote no less than three very different reasons in her autobiographical tomes (meaning that she lied about her motivations no fewer than two times to her readers).  No surprise  that ,even after Miss Parker tipped her off to Mr. Parker's having swindled Miss MacLaine over a large part of her earnings (which lead to their long overdue divorce) , they have had, at best, a strained if not a totally estranged relationship even  late into Miss Parker's middle age.  

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 4
3 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I was never a fan of any of those uber-macho action movie actors, but Stephen Seagal moves from "I don't like his face that looks like he can't count to 20" category to "He can fall in a hole and die any day and I will cheer". What a dumbfuck.

Steven Seagal is a morally reprehensible no-talent who regularly stars in his own mind. I'm amazed all the shit he's been accused of hasn't driven him into that hole where he can go die. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10

Agreed on the Steven Segal hate.  Ugh. He just looks greasy and gross.  He has slithered away from so many sexual harrassment and rape allegations/lawsuits, it isn't funny.  It is repulsive how he seems to cosplay Asian-ness.  And he thinks he is really the action dude he played in the movies.

The only movie I ever liked that he was in was Executive Decision but that as mainly because I liked Kurt Russell and Halle Berry in it and also because

Spoiler

He dies early on while doing some manly man shit

In the actual words of Roger Ebert on that movie at that point 'I perked right up."

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

For those of us who hate Steven Seagal and also enjoy reviews that channel Roger Ebert's hilarious meanness when he hates a movie, I present Ignatiy Vishnevetsky's gloriously brutal review of one of Seagal's films from a few years ago:

https://www.avclub.com/contract-to-kill-isn-t-just-bad-it-s-steven-seagal-bad-1798189772

I reread it every now and then. LOL

HOLY SHIT.  Thank you!  I cry laughed during that entire read.  Oh man, my eyes are still watering...

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

HOLY SHIT.  Thank you!  I cry laughed during that entire read.  Oh man, my eyes are still watering...

You're very welcome! Vishnevetsky's bad movie writing is something to really behold whenever he gets going. Sadly, I don't think he's writing anywhere now that the AV Club managed to fuck him over not once but twice. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Zella said:

For those of us who hate Steven Seagal and also enjoy reviews that channel Roger Ebert's hilarious meanness when he hates a movie, I present Ignatiy Vishnevetsky's gloriously brutal review of one of Seagal's films from a few years ago:

https://www.avclub.com/contract-to-kill-isn-t-just-bad-it-s-steven-seagal-bad-1798189772

I reread it every now and then. LOL

Thanks for the link XD! My favorite lines:

Overall, he gives the kind of performance traditionally associated with stars who died during filming. And yet, Seagal is in almost every scene.

Brutal

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 7/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, AnalyzeAndCritique said:

Sophia Bush

I’ve had my moments with her. I was initially a big fan but feel as she’s gotten older she’s turned into an exhausting self righteous nag  who takes herself way too seriously and thinks her opinion is the only one that matters. 

The ridiculous Tulsa wedding followed by the article where she makes an abortion her  husband and his previous girlfriend had a number of years ago all about her and their relationship? Wow. She has such a saviour complex but is so tone deaf.

I also notice in interviews etc she changes parts of her background to suit whatever her latest cause is. I’m pretty sure she was born in raised in California and went to private school before doing two years in college and getting into acting yet one minute she was an army brat who moved around loads, the next shes the child of immigrants (there’s Italian in her family but I think her dad is Canadian). She wants to be the centre of every policitical and socio economic debate but rather than admitting her relatively privileged background means she’s been lucky enough to not experience certain issues first hand she just makes shit up as she thinks it means her opinion will carry more weight.

….. and breathe. I’ve clearly been waiting for her name to come up forever 😂

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Rob Schneider. Never liked him that much to begin with but now?

I remember he revealed himself to be a complete idiot years ago, but I don't remember what it was he said (it's hard to keep track with these guys).  The only time I ever watched SNL is if I was hanging out at a friend's house who had it on, and his skits always felt like things that could have been funny with some restraint, but he made them rather painful to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Ryan Seacrest (boring), Steve Harvey (not as funny as he thinks he is), any of the Kardashian clan (too many reasons to list), John Meyer (jerk who thinks he can sing), Mark Zuckerberg (thief) and any of those guys on the Weather Channel who think they must appear on camera with their shirt sleeves rolled up above their elbows - nope, can’t trick me.  I know you are not working any harder than the equally skilled and educated ladies who are always dressed nicely.  Plus Jim Cantore is always stylin’ (vest and all) and I have never seen him roll up his sleeves or if he did I’m sure he has nice muscular arms vs. the ones who don’t even have manly hair..  There are more but these are the ones that make me change the channel asap.

Edited by etexlady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I had just a 'meh'  opinion about the perennial personality Brett Favre before  recent times. Now, I find him despicable!  I'll let others do the legwork re what's been alleged in Mississippi and see if one considers his possible  resemblance to how the fictional Hubbard family in Lillian Hellman's play/movie The Little Foxes had made their original fortune who as the housekeeper Addie observed,"They got might well-off cheating the poor. Well, there's people that eats up the whole Earth and all the people on it. Like in the Bible with the locusts."

Congrats, Mr. Favre, you now seem to resemble a cheating, greedy locust taking advantage of the most vulnerable!

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Yeah I used to like Favre when he was a player. It was about 15 years ago, though, that his wife released a book. I never read it, but I read some excerpt in RD about when they were younger and I was honestly pretty appalled at how he treated her. And she wrapped it up in excuses about how fame and pills had gone to his head, but my overwhelming impression was that he really just did seem like an asshole since some of the bad behavior occurred before his pill addiction or fame. And I was maybe willing to acknowledge perhaps he had matured and changed, but then a couple of years later, it was revealed he was sexting another woman, and it just kind of confirmed for me that yep he's an asshole. This most recent scam was not on my Brett Favre bingo card, but I can't say the underlying scandal surprised me, even if the specifics did. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Yeah I used to like Favre when he was a player. It was about 15 years ago, though, that his wife released a book. I never read it, but I read some excerpt in RD about when they were younger and I was honestly pretty appalled at how he treated her. And she wrapped it up in excuses about how fame and pills had gone to his head, but my overwhelming impression was that he really just did seem like an asshole since some of the bad behavior occurred before his pill addiction or fame. And I was maybe willing to acknowledge perhaps he had matured and changed, but then a couple of years later, it was revealed he was sexting another woman, and it just kind of confirmed for me that yep he's an asshole. This most recent scam was not on my Brett Favre bingo card, but I can't say the underlying scandal surprised me, even if the specifics did. 

There was a lot of different stuff that has come out over the years about him that has shown him to not be a nice guy and yet they never really damaged him.  But this one I hope cancels him for good.  If what he did was illegal I hope we see him behind bars.  

• Love 9

I'm not a football person, myself, but given our state's proximity to Wisconsin and how many Packers fans live here, I've obviously been familiar with Favre in that context, and I remember people getting tired of his, 'I'm retiring, wait, no, I'm not, no, yes, I am..." back and forth nonsense. And then he went to the Vikings, aka, the Packers' rivals, so...yeah. That didn't sit well with a lot of people, either. Add in the sexting scandal and he pretty well torpedoed any goodwill he may have had with people at one time.

But yeah, this scandal, from what I've heard about it thus far, sounds beyond the pale. And I saw a link to a tweet yesterday where someone shared an excerpt of an interview Favre recently did where he addressed the scandal, and hoooooooooly shit, it was an amazing example of watching the point sail WAY over someone's head. He sounded like a total asshole. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8