Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

(edited)
26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Ooh what did Jensen do? I think he's the most gorgeous creature. 

I have just never found him attractive or particularly good at acting. I remember years ago when a friend swooned over him when he was on Days of Our Lives. Just a nope for me.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Since that Top Gun movie hit theaters and since Jensen Ackles has joined The Boys, I realize that I dislike Tom Cruise and Jensen Ackles more than most people. I am used to being alone in my opinions though.

I'm totally with you on Tom Cruise. I didn't even like him before he became a couch jumping weirdo. I didn't care for him in Risky Business or that pool one with the beautiful, breathtaking Paul Newman. 

Jensen, well, i agree about his not being the greatest actor but I just find him so very pretty I don't care. I'm shallow. 

• LOL 4
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

the beautiful, breathtaking Paul Newman. 

Could have been my great grandpa but that was a good looking man. 

Yeah. I have disliked Cruise as long as I knew of Cruise. With you on those two points.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Since that Top Gun movie hit theaters and since Jensen Ackles has joined The Boys, I realize that I dislike Tom Cruise and Jensen Ackles more than most people. I am used to being alone in my opinions though.

Only half alone, since I have no idea who Jensen Ackles is, even after googling them, so have no opinion.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Only half alone, since I have no idea who Jensen Ackles is, even after googling them, so have no opinion.

Same.

4 minutes ago, rcc said:

Not necessarily a Tom Cruise fan but he was great in Rain Man. 

And Born on the 4th of July.

• Love 4

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I loved his performance in Interview with the Vampire.

Jensen Ackles, meh. He's pretty and charming and capable but I just don't find him all that interesting. And sometimes, he overacts to the point of me eyerolling.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tom Cruise is a great actor.  I don't care for him as a person, but he really commits to his roles.  I don't like the Scientology connection, either, but I'm sorry, I just love most of his movies.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Tom Cruise weirded me out too before he was publicly weird, and his looks never did anything for me. I think he is an okay actor, but he is never one of those performers who disappears into the role for me. So, I'm always just like "hey, there's Tom Cruise being a double-knot spy." "Hey,there's Tom Cruise time-traveling to Japan." "Hey, there's Tom Cruise trying to kill Hitler." It's actually ruined movies for me.

Even though I wasn't a fan, the depiction of him in Going Clear is so singularly weird that I will never unread that either. 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I don't have any opinion on Jensen Ackles as a person, but I see people gushing over his looks all the time and I'm just like,...*Shrugs*. Not my type at all. But to each their own, and all that. 

Add me to the list of those who used to mess with their Barbies as a kid :D. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Tom Cruise weirded me out too before he was publicly weird, and his looks never did anything for me. I think he is an okay actor, but he is never one of those performers who disappears into the role for me. So, I'm always just like "hey, there's Tom Cruise being a double-knot spy." "Hey,there's Tom Cruise time-traveling to Japan." "Hey, there's Tom Cruise trying to kill Hitler." It's actually ruined movies for me.

I agree. I feel like I'm missing something because I've always seen his acting. While I can agree that he goes all in on roles, I still don't think he's a great actor. It's like, just because I go all in when I sing, it doesn't mean I'm actually a great singer. (I am, in my own head, but to others....not so much)

1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Add me to the list of those who used to mess with their Barbies as a kid :D

My poor Barbie's suffered many, many "lab accidents". Basically, I'd chop off all their hair and cover them in things like toothpaste, marker, glitter glue, anything I could get my hands on. Needless to say, years later, when I watched Toy Story for the first time, I felt an overwhelming sense of guilt and regret about my childhood choices. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Wow.   Jensen Ackles is a very very good actor.  He’s very grounded, a big family man, keeps busy in his chosen career, has a tremendous singing voice, and is sooooo gorgeous.

I’ll agree his work on ‘DOOL’ was limited.  But watch him in ‘Dark Angel’, ‘Supernatural’ or ‘The Boys’.  (I give ‘Smallville’ a pass, because that was a terribly written, cheesy show).

Jensen has done nothing to account for someone disliking him.  If one doesn’t find attractive, fine, I don’t get it, but okay.  But to say one dislikes him and puts him in the same category as that a-hat Tom Cruise, goes a step too far.  

He’s also kept his mouth shut abt the events around Halyna Hutchins death, unlike a certain other a-hat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, roamyn said:

Wow.   Jensen Ackles is a very very good actor.  He’s very grounded, a big family man, keeps busy in his chosen career, has a tremendous singing voice, and is sooooo gorgeous.

Not sure how these things make him a great actor. Tom cruise is a fool, but has been a great actor in some of his roles. That talent is not related to his personal life or characteristics.

• Love 3
Just now, Cinnabon said:

Not sure how these things make him a great actor. Tom cruise is a fool, but has been a great actor in some of his roles. That talent is not related to his personal life or characteristics.

I didn’t say those things made him a great actor.  I was just pointing out his qualities.  I can point out at least 300 episodes of ‘SPN’ where his talent just shines.  Same with his other two major roles of adulthood (‘DOOL’ he was still a teen.  Tho he did win a Daytime Emmy his first year)

He’s also very accessible to his fans and treats them like normal people, not like he’s above them.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’ll agree his work on ‘DOOL’ was limited.  But watch him in ‘Dark Angel’, ‘Supernatural’ or ‘The Boys’.  (I give ‘Smallville’ a pass, because that was a terribly written, cheesy show).

Jensen has done nothing to account for someone disliking him.  If one doesn’t find attractive, fine, I don’t get it, but okay.  But to say one dislikes him and puts him in the same category as that a-hat Tom Cruise, goes a step too far.  

He’s also kept his mouth shut abt the events around Halyna Hutchins death, unlike a certain other a-hat.

My dislike for him is unique and not the same as it is for Cruise. I don’t hate the man, but, just as many dislike many of my favorite actors,  I dislike Ackles and am missing the talent (this applies to Cruise too) that some see. And it is okay. We do not have to like the same things or people.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Enigma X said:
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

the beautiful, breathtaking Paul Newman. 

Um, I'm gonna need a quick story about that.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

(‘DOOL’ he was still a teen.  Tho he did win a Daytime Emmy his first year)

He was nominated for an emmy (3 times), but didn't win.  He did win the Soap Opera Digest Award.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Enigma X said:

My dislike for him is unique and not the same as it is for Cruise. I don’t hate the man, but, just as many dislike many of my favorite actors,  I dislike Ackles and am missing the talent (this applies to Cruise too) that some see. And it is okay. We do not have to like the same things or people.

My mom  doesn’t like Tom Hanks for some unknown reasons. Sometimes there are just people we don’t like based on gut feelings. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

My mom  doesn’t like Tom Hanks for some unknown reasons. Sometimes there are just people we don’t like based on gut feelings. 

I was like that with Bill Cosby.  Going all the way back to his Fat Albert days I had what seemed like an irrational dislike for him.  Fast forward a few decades and my dislike was vindicated.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Is she a robot? An alien? How can that be!??!!! I jest. Preference is such a personal thing. I have loved Tom Hanks since he wore dresses on Bosom Buddies, though I haven't loved every movie he's been in. He just seems like such a nice guy and I really hope I am never proven wrong on that one. 

41 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I was like that with Bill Cosby.  Going all the way back to his Fat Albert days I had what seemed like an irrational dislike for him.  Fast forward a few decades and my dislike was vindicated. 

Same. He always gave me a skeevy vibe. Back in the day I just assumed that he must remind me of someone because he was so beloved. Now I am hoping it was because I have some kind of scumbag-dar that he triggered. His Jello pudding commercials used to make me squirm. I think it was the face he'd make when he ate the jello. 

• Love 9

So . . . I don't hate Tom Hanks. He seems like a nice man, and I like a lot of his movies and always enjoy interviews with him, but there's something about the way that the internet discusses Tom Hanks that makes me want to be a contrarian asshole and not like him. So, I get not liking him, while also feeling like an asshole since I don't actually dislike him. Like Whitman, I contain multitudes.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

For me it was Alison Mack. She was rather rabidly adored on Smallville as Chloe but I never really cared for her.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Zella said:

So . . . I don't hate Tom Hanks. He seems like a nice man, and I like a lot of his movies and always enjoy interviews with him, but there's something about the way that the internet discusses Tom Hanks that makes me want to be a contrarian asshole and not like him. So, I get not liking him, while also feeling like an asshole since I don't actually dislike him. Like Whitman, I contain multitudes.

My personal rule is that no one is as bad as their harshest press clippings say and no one is a great as their loudest trumpeters say.  People are inherently messy.  That is not to say that all folks that seem to be universally beloved are hiding some dark skeletons (or that all folks who we know have done terrible things are somehow misunderstood) but people are going to people. And what's more important is that people be allowed to people even if they live a public life.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/20/2022 at 11:03 PM, Cinnabon said:

And Born on the 4th of July.

It didn't click until recently that Tom Cruise followed the jingoistic, flag-waving, dumb action movie, Top Gun (which was credited with hugely increasing the Navy's recruitment) with Born on the Fourth of July, just two years later.

He made a movie that allowed the American military to thump its chest and swagger about, then made one of the most overtly and caustically anti-war movies ever, within the space of three years. That's quite an achievement, and quite a course correction, as well as potentially a sign that he regretted making a two hour advertisement for Navy pilots.

He's a weird guy and I can't say I like much of what I know about him as a person, but he really is a bona fide movie star. He has a quality about him that is inherently likeable on screen, and I always see him as the character he's playing, rather than as Tom Cruise.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

That's quite an achievement, and quite a course correction, as well as potentially a sign that he regretted making a two hour advertisement for Navy pilots.

You are giving him too much credit. I think he just wanted a role that would garner good reviews and an Oscar nomination at least and Oscar win at best.  And he was nominated but didn't win.  He did win the Golden Globe. I thought he was fabulous as Ron Kovic.  In my opinion that was his best role.  He had just done Rain Man the year before and he got reviews for that but no Oscar nomination.  

I was never a Tom Cruise fan but I did enjoy his movies.  And I will still watch them but as a person I just find him unsettling.  Happy Days had the jump the shark moment and Tom Cruise had the jump the couch moment.  I never looked at him the same way again.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

My personal rule is that no one is as bad as their harshest press clippings say and no one is a great as their loudest trumpeters say.  People are inherently messy.  That is not to say that all folks that seem to be universally beloved are hiding some dark skeletons (or that all folks who we know have done terrible things are somehow misunderstood) but people are going to people. And what's more important is that people be allowed to people even if they live a public life.  

There is a lot of good surrounding Tom Hanks, but he is also partly responsible for Chet.  

• LOL 13
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

You are giving him too much credit. I think he just wanted a role that would garner good reviews and an Oscar nomination at least and Oscar win at best.  And he was nominated but didn't win.  He did win the Golden Globe. I thought he was fabulous as Ron Kovic.  In my opinion that was his best role.  He had just done Rain Man the year before and he got reviews for that but no Oscar nomination.  

These are some extracts from an interview Cruise gave in 1990, where he actually expressed reservations over the way Top Gun was marketed and the fact many people took it seriously as a pro-military movie:

https://gizmodo.com/tom-cruise-top-gun-sequel-playboy-opinion-1986-propagan-1848858326

Cruise: OK, some people felt that Top Gun was a right-wing film to promote the Navy. And a lot of kids loved it. But I want the kids to know that that’s not the way war is—that Top Gun was just an amusement park ride, a fun film with a PG-13 rating that was not supposed to be reality.

That’s why I didn’t go on and make Top Gun II and III and IV and V. That would have been irresponsible.

I'm sure the lure of awards was a big reason he made Born on the Fourth of July, and his desire to not be type-cast as an action hero was a reason not to make a Top Gun sequel, but I don't discount his personal discomfort in being held up as an example of American military manhood.

Obviously, he doesn't feel quite the same today, because he did eventually make that sequel.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, Enigma X said:

I have no opinion one way or the other about Jensen Ackles, but I loathe Tom Cruise.  And I used to have a huge crush on him when I was in high school.  The only performance of his that I've liked in decades was in Tropic Thunder.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:45 PM, Enigma X said:

Yep.  Paul Newman was gorgeous.  And stayed that way even into his last years.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I have no opinion one way or the other about Jensen Ackles, but I loathe Tom Cruise.  And I used to have a huge crush on him when I was in high school.  The only performance of his that I've liked in decades was in Tropic Thunder.

Yep.  Paul Newman was gorgeous.  And stayed that way even into his last years.

If I were gay....Paul Newman in cat on a hit tin roof

https://images.app.goo.gl/FkEW2QN4FK8fJLzT7

Sploosh

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

For nearly 15 years now.  He was 83 when he died.

Don't blame Mr. Newman for having died. It was from natural causes and NOT because he wanted to upset his fanbase.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Don't blame Mr. Newman for having died. It was from natural causes and NOT because he wanted to upset his fanbase.

Huh?  The poster said she didn't know he is dead, I said he's been dead for nearly 15 years now and was 83 when he died.  Where in that did you get the bizarre notion I was blaming him for dying?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Huh?  The poster said she didn't know he is dead, I said he's been dead for nearly 15 years now and was 83 when he died.  Where in that did you get the bizarre notion I was blaming him for dying?

Since this is the 'Ugh, Actors, Hosts and TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand' Subforum, I thought there was the possibility that you might have mentioned that as a reason to justify a possible dislike of the late Mr. Newman.

2 hours ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

I see he has been in the news recently and I was reminded how much I cannot stand the guy….Jon Stewart. I never understood his popularity and always found him to be obnoxious and annoying.

Aw really? I'll have to google to find out the recent news, but I've always loved Jon Stewart. 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:39 PM, bluegirl147 said:

What made him even more gorgeous was his utter devotion to his wife.  Everyone remembers his famous quote.  Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?

Agree. I love that he wasn't like so many gorgeous guys who are just out to get as many women as possible just because they can. 

• Love 3

Add me to that small faction of the world that does not like Tom Hanks. Something about him rubs me the wrong way, not like Tom Cruise wrong, but in a nope, I don’t like it way. He can take me out of a movie just seeing his face. I just saw the movie Elvis and Hanks playing the smarmy colonel made good sense in my brain. Cruise, on the other hand, I find revolting. His use of Scientologist sea org members as free, almost forced labor is disgusting as is the little man’s weird center tooth. And I’m in agreement that every role is Tom Cruise playing someone. It’s not a character of a spy and he happens to be the actor, it’s Tom Cruise pretending he’s a spy.  Big yucky no. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ramble said:

And I’m in agreement that every role is Tom Cruise playing someone. It’s not a character of a spy and he happens to be the actor, it’s Tom Cruise pretending he’s a spy.

I like Tom Hanks but this ^ is how I feel about him too.  I cannot not see Tom Hanks instead of the character he is playing.  And this makes me sad about his film A Man Called Ove Otto because I love, love the book but all I'll see is Tom Hanks playing Ove Otto.  (Plus it annoys me that he changed the name because people don't know how to pronounce Ove.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I like Tom Hanks but this ^ is how I feel about him too.  I cannot not see Tom Hanks instead of the character he is playing.  And this makes me sad about his film A Man Called Ove Otto because I love, love the book but all I'll see is Tom Hanks playing Ove Otto.  (Plus it annoys me that he changed the name because people don't know how to pronounce Ove.)

I have this problem, too, and I think it might account for why the internet fawning over him annoys me, despite my personally liking him. I do think Hanks is a better actor than Cruise and I will always eventually suspend my "Hey, that's Tom Hanks!" to watch the movie, but for me, Hanks has such a distinctive voice and appearance that there's no way I ever forget that it's him. 

Contrast this with Stephen Lang, who has been the source of many arguments between me and my dad and also between me and a friend of mine. My dad (or my friend) will always say, "Hey, he was X in X," and I am like " No he wasn't!" But he was. LOL We've had this argument about Lang in Manhunter, Gettysburg, Tombstone, Death of a Salesman, and Tall Tale. At this point, if you told me that Lang was actually Kathy Bates's character in Misery, I'd probably be inclined to agree with you. He's a real chameleon. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 2
23 hours ago, ramble said:

is disgusting as is the little man’s weird center tooth.

I hope to use "disgusting as Tom Cruise's weird center tooth" in conversation some day.

8 hours ago, Haleth said:

I like Tom Hanks but this ^ is how I feel about him too.  I cannot not see Tom Hanks instead of the character he is playing. 

Am I the only one for whom this is true about all actors, in everything? I never "forget" that I'm watching actors acting. Even when they're doing a good job, I'm like "Wow, that Meryl Streep really is an impressive actor."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Am I the only one for whom this is true about all actors, in everything? I never "forget" that I'm watching actors acting. Even when they're doing a good job, I'm like "Wow, that Meryl Streep really is an impressive actor."

For me it depends on the story. If the story is engrossing enough I forget about the actors even if initially I'm hyper aware of them. It's easier with less "celeb" types. Someone like Meryl Streep or Tom Hanks are so known that no matter how great they are, I see the actor, even if I don't see the acting. 

Thing with Cruise is, I think he picks characters he thinks are him. So, while I watch Meryl in Iron Lady I'm not reminded of her in Mama Mia because they are very different. With Cruise, (I've never seen Rain Man but I think that might be the most non-Tom Cruise movie he's done) I can see his character in Cocktail just being his character in Risky Business in his 20s while eventually that same character joined the air force for Top Gun and then went into the spy bus for all his action flicks. I'm sure he's done stuff that isn't similar to all his other work that I just haven't seen because I have absolutely no interest in him as a person or an actor, but at least several of his characters seem like the same character to me. 

I do love Tom Hanks, but also very much see all his characters as Tom Hanks. I just think he's a better actor and more likable person than Cruise so I don't mind as much. 

There's just something about not liking someone that makes you see all their flaws. lol

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

There's just something about not liking someone that makes you see all their flaws. lol

I totally agree, and the phenomenon even has a name--bitch eating crackers or BEC.  I personally cannot stand Kiera Knightley and her jutting chin.  I'm sure she's a lovely individual, but I just can't. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I personally cannot stand Kiera Knightley and her jutting chin.  I'm sure she's a lovely individual, but I just can't. 

Same here!  She's not ugly but I cannot stand to look at her.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, janie jones said:

The minute I've seen them enough to recognize them, that's pretty much me.  I don't usually not recognize them even if I still get into their characters.

It's why I hate when someone puts on a ton of makeup/prosthetics to try to look like someone else.  I usually can still see the original version underneath it all. It's more distrating.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I hope to use "disgusting as Tom Cruise's weird center tooth" in conversation some day.

I'm always impressed when I see an actor do a role that is different than their other roles.  But if I'm enjoying the movie or TV show I don't really care if the actor is basically playing themselves.  Ben Stiller is pretty much Ben Stiller in every role but I enjoyed the Museum movies.  

14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

With Cruise, (I've never seen Rain Man but I think that might be the most non-Tom Cruise movie he's done)

His character in Rain Man started out as a selfish prick so.....

14 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I totally agree, and the phenomenon even has a name--bitch eating crackers or BEC.  I personally cannot stand Kiera Knightley and her jutting chin.  I'm sure she's a lovely individual, but I just can't. 

I have to agree.  I just cannot warm up to her.  

14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I do love Tom Hanks, but also very much see all his characters as Tom Hanks.

I tend to see his performances as Forrest Gump playing whoever.  For me Tom Hanks played that role so well it's hard for me to separate the two.

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The minute I've seen them enough to recognize them, that's pretty much me.  I don't usually not recognize them even if I still get into their characters.

Those that are commonly referred to as character actors are the ones that make an impression on me.  I can't tell you how many times I will be watching a Law & Order episode from 20something years ago and see someone and think where do I know them from and have to pull up IMDB.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
20 hours ago, janie jones said:

In a sense, that's true for me too. But a lot of it is how much they disappear into the role. So, it's a difference for me between sitting there the entire time thinking "THAT'S TOM HANKS! I CAN'T STOP THINKING THAT'S TOM HANKS!" and "Man, Tom Hanks as Woody is more conniving than I remember. He should play more bad guys." Maybe forgetting is the wrong word for it. 

I'm usually pretty good about recognizing people from other things (which is part of what makes my inability to recognize Stephen Lang weirdly hilarious to me), and honestly, I tend to binge-watch stuff with an actor in it if I like them. But for that reason, it's really easy for me to pick out mannerisms that they carry over from other roles, and I find that super distracting.

That actually takes me out of it more than knowing who they are. Like Robert Duvall always does this head flick at some point, no matter who his character is. I really like Duvall--I think he's fantastic--but I can't unsee that. 

I also will start to notice if they play the same type of character over and over again and if it becomes one note, and I also find that distracting.

I know he's creepy as hell on Game of Thrones, but I really liked Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton--and he seems like a perfectly nice, non-creepy person in interviews--so I ended up watching a bunch of his stuff a couple of years ago. He almost always plays a rather sinister villain, but each one is different, and I appreciated it. I doubt I ever completely forgot who he was any time I watched him, but it's much less distracting to me than sitting there the entire time thinking "Wow he does the same shtick every time he pops up in anything." 

Admittedly, I spend a lot of time in my head overanalyzing things in general. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2