Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

(edited)

I liked Alton Brown when he first started out as a nerdy food scientist who had fun explaining why certain steps had to be taken to keep recipes,etc. from going kablooey. But then when they got him to host competitions and even before Good Eats ended, he devolved to be a rather meanspirited bully.

Among other things, on a road trip, he 'jokingly' faked an allergic reaction when a vendor wouldn't tell him all the secret ingredients she used for a specialty that she'd made her livelihood from. Then, there was the time in which he rudely  tarred a preteen girl audience member  and her father  at a public venue by stating that the man accompanying the father had to have been her 'other father'. Maybe the other man was the father's relative, in-law or platonic friend,etc. but even if they'd been  an actual couple, the three didn't deserve AB publicly ridiculing them just for having attended his show as a trio.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I never liked Martha or Alton Brown.

Alton Brown is a total asshole, but, while I've never been overly fond of Martha Stewart on her solo shows, she was absolutely hilarious with Snoop Dogg and their guests on Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party.

• Like 13

Martha Stewart has a sense of humor about herself and how she is perceived.  Her own daughter had a show about how nobody but Martha could actually make the things she brings up and Martha would occasionally be on to demonstrate actually how to make things.  With Snoop's rapper buddies, she would always mention that she'd been to prison.

Ryan Seacrest is a truly horrible human being.  

• Like 9
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Her own daughter had a show about how nobody but Martha could actually make the things she brings up

I forgot all about that show, but it was fun!  Whatever, Martha it was called.  Her daughter and a friend would watch old episodes of Martha's show and mercilessly mock it, but they also did whatever project Martha had done in that episode to show how hard it was to do (and, often, how nutso it was to do it to begin with).  I remember the episode where Martha joined them in watching - and mocking - an episode.  You're right, the woman is able to laugh at herself.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Why?

The first season of Idol, there were two hosts interacting with the contestants, Seacrest and another guy.  There was also a woman who interviewed people auditioning while they were standing in line.  Seacrest went to the producers behind their backs and negotiated to handle all of it for subsequent seasons.  All Ryan all the time.  He doesn't care if people lose their jobs.

He made most of his money in radio initially and still does an afternoon show where he interviews stars.  If he doesn't like somebody, instead of whisking through it quickly, he sticks a knife in and twists it.  I listened to him "interview" Jonah Hill where he made it clear that Hill was too fat for anyone to ever be interested in him so his girlfriend must be a gold digger and that he didn't deserve to be with her.  Fun stuff.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 7
On 4/10/2023 at 3:17 PM, meep.meep said:

He made most of his money in radio initially and still does an afternoon show where he interviews stars.  If he doesn't like somebody, instead of whisking through it quickly, he sticks a knife in and twists it.  I listened to him "interview" Jonah Hill where he made it clear that Hill was too fat for anyone to ever be interested in him so his girlfriend must be a gold digger and that he didn't deserve to be with her.  Fun stuff.

Years ago, his show was on when I was at work (I'd never heard it before), and he was interviewing some celebrity, I forget who. He kept asking invasive questions, and the interviewee kept deflecting, and he kept asking with this attitude of like, we're all entitled to know the answers to these personal questions. He had always rubbed me the wrong way, and that really sealed my dislike.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

In related news, CNN dumped multi-time misogynist Don Lemon.

Don Lemon is living proof of the 3% theory.

3% Theory: You take 100 people, of any type; Gay, Straight, Black, White, Asian, News Anchor, Garbageman, Doctor, Lawyer, Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc.

At least 3 of those people will be assholes.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Like 9

Fox will replace him with someone worse and they won't miss a beat. Meanwhile, Carlson will be podcasting by the end of the month, still trying to get his messages of divisiveness and hate out there.

I must confess that I'm curious about Fox's decision, though. It's nothing to do with a moral stance, or even with him costing them money. I suspect some of the messages uncovered in the lawsuit involved him saying derogatory things about Fox executives, and that was the line in the sand for them.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 15
  • Useful 3
17 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Fox will replace him with someone worse and they won't miss a beat. Meanwhile, Carlson will be podcasting by the end of the month, still trying to get his messages of divisiveness and hate out there.

I must confess that I'm curious about Fox's decision, though. It's nothing to do with a moral stance, or even with him costing them money. I suspect some of the messages uncovered in the lawsuit involved him saying derogatory things about Fox executives, and that was the line in the sand for them.

I think being a part of costing them almost a billion dollars did have at least something to do with his firing especially if it was one of the terms of agreement during settlement talks. This lawsuit mentioned was filed a month ago too though.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Don Lemon is living proof of the 3% theory.

3% Theory: You take 100 people, of any type; Gay, Straight, Black, White, Asian, News Anchor, Garbageman, Doctor, Lawyer, Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc.

At least 3 of those people will be assholes.

I think your estimate is low.  

• Like 10
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Ding Dong, the poser's gone.

Some people give him credit for just cosplaying as a white supremacist, I do not. I think it's worse.

I just read MUCH worse. 

15 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Apparently he also made some unbelievably sickening comments about his daughter’s 14-year old boarding school classmates 🤮.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 7
  • Fire 2
8 hours ago, AstridM said:

Apparently he also made some unbelievably sickening comments about his daughter’s 14-year old boarding school classmates 🤮.

Wasn't he the one who was on somebody's show once and going off in defense of Warren Jeffs - you know, the polygamous cult leader who sexually abused so many underage girls in said cult and is in prison for those crimes besides? 

So yeah, based off the above, the possibility of him making creepy comments about his daughter's classmates would not surprise me one bit. He's absolute slime, good riddance to him. I don't know how likely it'll be that he goes somewhere where nobody ever has to listen to him spew his BS ever again, but we can hope...

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And her call me Kat show is about the worst thing on tv right now, not funny in the least

I tried to watch it as I liked the UK show it was based on but, nope, did not work for me.  And the ending when they all break character and come on stage for a final bow type thing is just cringy to me!

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Quof said:

It's not just the character she plays, it's her preachy, sanctimonious attitude in real life. 

For me it’s that ridiculous New York accent she uses despite being from California.

• LOL 1
On 4/30/2023 at 11:19 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

She is awful as a jeopardy host.  So stiff and unnatural. 

It drives me crazy because Ken is great.

• Like 5

I can't stand the Rock. He's so popular and I just don't understand it... I was not surprised at the behind the scenes drama with him and DC over Black Adam and Shazam. He seems like somebody too in love with himself.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

can't stand the Rock. He's so popular and I just don't understand it...

This reminds me, right after Taraji P. Henson guest starred on Abbot Elementry a few weeks back, someone on twitter said she and The Rock play the same character over and over again.  Well, Twitter came for that person... on behalf of Taraji.  They were incensed!  They listed all of her movies, mentioning how different she was in Hidden Figures vs. Empire vs. Benjamin Button vs. Person of Interest.  I mean, people big mad!

Meanwhile, it was crickets for The Rock.  LOL.  nobody mentioned him or defended him at all.  One person hilariously said 'Well he wore a black shirt instead of a beige one in that one movie..."

• Like 4
  • LOL 8
58 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Meanwhile, it was crickets for The Rock.  LOL.  nobody mentioned him or defended him at all.  One person hilariously said 'Well he wore a black shirt instead of a beige one in that one movie..."

I like The Rock... but it is not for his acting skills. One thing I like about him is that he doesn't seem to think of himself as a great actor and is just having fun. Two things I like about him are his biceps. I'm shallow. They're massive. 

• Like 4
  • Wink 5
  • LOL 4

I love The Rock as an SNL host. He's always game for anything, and is funny. I've never seen any of his movies. Action/adventure isn't my 'thing' 😏

• Like 8

The Rock is The Rock in everything he is in. This includes interviews. Frankly, I find all the wrestlers turned actors to be annoying and pretty much ooze the same schtick of the persona they oozed before they were credited as an actor.

• Like 3
(edited)

I like the Rock okay--I don't really watch any of his movies, but I enjoy his personality in interviews. My family watched a ton of wrestling when I was a kid, and I was more of a Rowdy Roddy girl, but I still think of him as a wrestler and a personality than an actor.

But that whole weird-ass feud between him and Vin Diesel in which he was vaguebooking and calling Diesel a candy ass and Diesel retorted by saying he was just trying to provide a Fellini-esque experience for the Rock over a Fast and the Furious movie lives rent free in my head seven years later.

I have never even watched the movie in question, let alone any Fast and the Furious movie, and have no real vested interest in either the Rock or Diesel, but I have analyzed every statement ever made about who was a candy ass on that film set with the zeal of a forensic scientist. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

I'll always have a spot in my heart for the Rock. I remember when he first started in the WWF (as was) as Rocky Maivia. He was awful. Truly awful. So awful my friends and I chose his match at Wrestlemania 13 to take a bathroom break. As a face, he just didn't click. But then he had a heel turn and grabbed the microphone and he was phenomenal. Ive never seen anyone work a crowd as well as he did, not even Austin. He also has always had a good sense of humor and is generally nice in person (I haven't heard any negative reports from people I know). I'm glad he's having non-wrestling success now. Having said that, I've never seen any of his movies because it's just not my genre.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Zella said:

I like the Rock okay--I don't really watch any of his movies, but I enjoy his personality in interviews.

This is me.  I cannot honestly say I've seen any of his movies, but I have seen him on various talk shows and I find him entertaining and personable in that setting.  He's absolutely one of the best guests Graham Norton has ever had on the red couch.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This is me.  I cannot honestly say I've seen any of his movies, but I have seen him on various talk shows and I find him entertaining and personable in that setting.  He's absolutely one of the best guests Graham Norton has ever had on the red couch.

Yeah pretty sure the only thing I've ever watched him in were The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King when I was about 12. And during The Mummy Returns, my dad was asking, "isn't he the wrestler?" Then we saw The Scorpion King in a bargain DVD bin at Walmart and bought it out of boredom. We never watched or spoke of it again. 😂😂😂😂😂 So, it surprised me when I was older and saw that he was still acting and was capable of being such an amusing interviewee. 

• Like 1

From the interview I’ve seen, The Rock seems like a nice man. I don’t drool over him the way so many women do though. I see that he’s an attractive guy and admire his discipline. I also appreciate some strength. But while a man being able to throw me around is sexy, being able to annihilate my ass, not so much. 

• LOL 3
50 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:
23 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved the Rock in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

And Moana!

Those are honestly the only two movies I can think of that I've seen him in, which could be why I love him. They were both fun roles. I did try to watch some horrible spy vs spy type movie he was in with Ryan Reynolds, but not even Ryan (whom I absolutely adore) could get me to watch the whole thing. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Those are honestly the only two movies I can think of that I've seen him in, which could be why I love him. They were both fun roles. I did try to watch some horrible spy vs spy type movie he was in with Ryan Reynolds, but not even Ryan (whom I absolutely adore) could get me to watch the whole thing. 

I actually liked Red Notice too if that’s what you’re talking about.

• Like 3

This is more of a concept, but May the 4th as Star Wars Day. It's just a crap pun on May the Force be with you. The original Star Wars actually came out on the 25th of May. However, it's possibly the anniversary of when I moved into my new home. Celebrate that if you want. :)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
31 minutes ago, Anduin said:

This is more of a concept, but May the 4th as Star Wars Day. It's just a crap pun on May the Force be with you. The original Star Wars actually came out on the 25th of May. However, it's possibly the anniversary of when I moved into my new home. Celebrate that if you want. :)

I'll celebrate the fun arc up to RotJ.

However after that, IMO too many cooks kept messing with and spoiled the broth making it an unpalatable  bummer!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

I've never been into Star Wars, so I have no horse in this race, but 2 of the most toxic relationships I've ever witnessed in my friend group had May 4th as their anniversary and both couples put a lot of emphasis on May the Fourth be with You when talking about the relationships, probably because there wasn't anything else very joyful about the relationship. So, I mainly associate it with really bad marriages. 

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

I also am not fond of today getting co-opted to become Star Wars Day.  I got my masters at Kent State and lived and worked in Kent for a couple of years after.  May 4th hits different for me.  "Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming..." plays on repeat in my head today.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 10
39 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also am not fond of today getting co-opted to become Star Wars Day.  I got my masters at Kent State and lived and worked in Kent for a couple of years after.  May 4th hits different for me.  "Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming..." plays on repeat in my head today.

I just looked it up. Yeah, I can see how that is. Sorry. Either way, it's crap and should go away.

• Like 1