Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hilarie-burton-candace-cameron-bure-twitter-hallmark-great-american-family-181649220.html

And this is why I cannot stand Candace Cameron Bure.  Uses her faith to be a hateful person.

While I’m hardly a fan of hers it looks there’s no quotes of her actually attacking anyone who doesn’t share her faith.

I just choose to ignore people like her 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

While I’m hardly a fan of hers it looks there’s no quotes of her actually attacking anyone who doesn’t share her faith.

Which in a real way makes it worse. It's sort of like how people can claim to not be anti-Black racist because they're not calling people the n-word, while all the while they're dog whistling with other words and/or actions. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Which in a real way makes it worse. It's sort of like how people can claim to not be anti-Black racist because they're not calling people the n-word, while all the while they're dog whistling with other words and/or actions. 

Exactly. You don't have to own slaves or run around shouting the n word to be racist. Where people's feelings stand becomes obvious when they are consistently on one side. Peaceful protestors piss you off, you love Tucker Carlson, you think minorities are all lying about racism, you're against interracial marriage, you're constantly harder on minorities than white, cisgendered straight people. Gee, I think you might be a bigot. 

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh Candace, Candace, Candace. You know, when she's not talking about anything of substance, I actually like her. Not sure if that means much. But as wordy of a statement as she made, it really said nothing. So you love everyone, but you don't support gay marriage? She could have said the stories they had so far were between a man and a woman but that she misspoke and would also celebrate gay marriage.

So Candace, if you really love everyone, do you want the gay community to be happy? Are they not also entitled to love, marriage, having families? Are you against them having kids too? Are they at least entitled to date and have sex, or do you think they're going to hell for that? Or are all these gay people you "love" supposed to be in the closet and alone forever because the God you worship made them "broken"? How come you won't show support to a community that is still vulnerable to so much hate? 

I actually often defend religious people when a gay friend of mine says how he's against religion entirely. I know a lot of Christians and people of other faiths who have big hearts and are very accepting. But Candace types make me understand why my friend feels the way he does. Being gay is not a choice, and and if you just love your fellow man so much, it's not enough to merely tolerate the gay community, you should embrace them and want to support them more than anything. 

I typically hate a pile-on, and I don't think Candace is evil. But she is just dead wrong on this issue, and I'm glad she's getting backlash so the LGBT community knows they still have a lot of support even with all the Candace Camerons out there. 

• Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
25 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

So you love everyone, but you don't support gay marriage? She could have said the stories they had so far were between a man and a woman but that she misspoke and would also celebrate gay marriage.

Sounds like "hate the sin, love the sinner" to me, even though the bible never specifically addresses homosexuality.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

So Candace, if you really love everyone, do you want the gay community to be happy?

I think she is one of those people who loves everyone and wants them to be happy by being just like her. So basically, she doesn't love everyone but pities the ones who aren't just like her because they are flawed according to the way she has chosen to interpret "the words of the Lord". The scary thing to me is that I do think she means well and thinks she's doing good in the world when really she is spreading fear and hatred. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Her use of "traditional marriage" is her way of saying same sex marriages aren't real marriages and she doesn't want to be a part of a network that shows them. 

It always amuses me that people who use language like this think it's some sort of top secret code that people who disagree with them can't figure out.  She said what she said and she wanted people who feel the same way, who feel like Hallmark has been taken over by the devil*, to know what to expect with her movies.  And then she gets mad when people print what she says and understand what she means.

*You think I might be exaggerating.  I do not. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It always amuses me that people who use language like this think it's some sort of top secret code that people who disagree with them can't figure out.

Yeah, "traditional marriage" isn't even a dog whistle; it's not just her intended audience who knows exactly what she's saying, it's pretty much everyone teen and older.  But she's so deluded, she thought she was "only" being covertly offensive and now has to deal with the repercussions of all the people outside her bigoted bubble hearing her.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I found this old clip. 

12 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Sounds like "hate the sin, love the sinner" to me, even though the bible never specifically addresses homosexuality.

I don't believe in the Bible, but I get why we shouldn't kill, lie, steal, etc. How does two men or two women getting married hurt anyone? For me an immoral act is something that inflicts pain on another. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It always amuses me that people who use language like this think it's some sort of top secret code that people who disagree with them can't figure out.  She said what she said and she wanted people who feel the same way, who feel like Hallmark has been taken over by the devil*, to know what to expect with her movies.  And then she gets mad when people print what she says and understand what she means.

*You think I might be exaggerating.  I do not. 

I don't Candace is the sharpest knife in the drawer.  She didn't expect any backlash because she thinks what she is says is right.  If you disagree with her she thinks you are just plain wrong and bless your heart.  

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, "traditional marriage" isn't even a dog whistle; it's not just her intended audience who knows exactly what she's saying, it's pretty much everyone teen and older.  But she's so deluded, she thought she was "only" being covertly offensive and now has to deal with the repercussions of all the people outside her bigoted bubble hearing her.

Her and people like her still think they are on the right side (no pun intended) of this issue.  They don't even realize it's not really even an issue anymore.  If her new network had just made Christmas movies featuring only hetero couples and didn't publicize that sure some people would have noticed but it wouldn't be what it is now.   Nobody is saying all projects have to include LGTBQ characters.  But when you say our projects are going to show "traditional" couples it sure sounds like you are going to be purposely excluding LGBTQ characters.  Any blowback they are getting they deserve.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

I'm an ally in the same-sex marriage fight but I also get tired of all the backlash against someone who speaks "their truth". We're huge on letting people speak their truth but will shout it down and silence those who don't agree.  As for being offended by what she said, I am more than offended when all of these so-called Christmas movies gloss over the strong holiday traditions of the family, no matter what your family is. Show the holy days for the Jewish people, show a manger scene without it being a prop and give it some heft in meaning.  Show short, chubby women over 50 not really looking for love but dealing with the weird lonliness this season can bring. 

Why has the holiday season turned into insipid rom-coms? To me, that's more offensive than two women kissing. Answer me that Candace....and oh yeah, thank Ticketmaster for taking the heat off you for this news cycle....

• Applause 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I'm an ally in the same-sex marriage fight but I also get tired of all the backlash against someone who speaks "their truth". We're huge on letting people speak their truth but will shout it down and silence those who don't agree.  

I'm a very forgiving person when it comes to foot-in-mouth situations because I am guilty of that even as a fellow ally. I know as a straight, cisgendered woman I am not an expert on this issue, but I do my best to show compassion and understand. Sometimes we don't express ourselves the way we truly think or make mistakes with our words. I also cut elderly people or very young people some slack.

Candace isn't elderly, nor super young, nor is she someone who's lived in a bubble. How has she not made gay friends she cares deeply about? Does she care about hate crimes and how people like her encourage nastiness whether they intend to or not? If Candace has different religious beliefs, totally fine. If Candace votes for a different political party, totally fine. If Candace does or does not consider herself a feminist, totally fine. I can see both sides of the abortion debate. I'm not someone who needs everyone's truth to be just like mine or doesn't believe in grace. 

For me seeing gay people as equals worthy of equal rights is a lot like race. What Candace said to me reminds me of people who say hey I love people of all colors! I just believe marriage should be traditional and not interracial. 

There are many instances where I think the backlash can get excessive. I still don't think Candace is evil. Maybe in her dopy way she means well, but I think backlash can help someone like her to at least think more deeply about her ways and how they hurt people, and it shows the gay community they have support despite people like her. 

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Candace could learn a thing or two from Jodi Benson—yes, the Jodi Benson that voices Ariel. She’s a very religious person, but she doesn’t use that as an excuse to crap on people that aren’t like her or don’t share the same beliefs as her. Instead, she uses her spirituality to show kindness and compassion to everyone.

• Applause 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/19/2022 at 5:34 PM, Annber03 said:

They're just choosing not to, and doubling down and refusing to take responsibility for these things they're otherwise so proud to say out loud.

Candace I'm sure will see no correlation to the things she says that goes toward fostering the  hate and violence that leads to a tragic event like the shooting in Colorado Springs over the weekend.  She might think she is promoting Christianity or love or whatever but she is helping to continue the very dangerous anti LBTGQ+ views that still exist.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Candace could learn a thing or two from Jodi Benson—yes, the Jodi Benson that voices Ariel. She’s a very religious person, but she doesn’t use that as an excuse to crap on people that aren’t like her or don’t share the same beliefs as her. Instead, she uses her spirituality to show kindness and compassion to everyone.

Candace doesn’t seem very “spiritual.”

• Love 6
On 11/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, BlueSkies said:

Jimmy Fallon- I mean I don’t loathe the guy but I’ll just say I find it pretty hypocritical now he had a skit where he made fun of Carson Daly for being a tool 

I don't loathe the guy. It takes too much energy, but I am pretty close.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

You guys hear about this? Some of the comments are fire. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/17/lori-loughlins-crimes-rehashed-in-candace-cameron-bures-traditional-marriage-controversy/

“I am NOT okay with Lori being there,” said another. “My son started college when that scandal broke. What her family did is not right. Where are the Great American Family values?”

“Wait Lori? So like a gay family isn’t great, but a family that commits a felony to get ahead is? Noted,” said someone else.

• Like 1
  • Applause 10
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

“Wait Lori? So like a gay family isn’t great, but a family that commits a felony to get ahead is? Noted,” said someone else.

In Candace's world yes.

My hope is all this backlash makes viewers stay away from this network. But I sadly recognize there are still way too many people who have been nodding their head listening to everything Candace has been saying. 

• Sad 10
38 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This is why we cannot and will not brush their comments off as "just their opinions", or why we can't tolerate them. 

"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant.[Philosopher] Karl Popper described it as the seemingly self-contradictory idea that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must retain the right to be intolerant of intolerance."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This. Exactly. Tragedies like the one in Colorado are precisely why people need to call out Candace and others who say this stuff. This is why we cannot and will not brush their comments off as "just their opinions", or why we can't tolerate them. 

Bingo.

“Traditional values killed at least 5 people.”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/hilarie-burton-slams-candace-cameron-bure-after-colorado-shooting/amp/

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What a ridiculous statement. An unhinged killer killed at leasat 5 people.

Absolutely, but bigoted rhetoric certainly seems to lead to an increase in hate crimes. We've seen it happen with different vulnerable communities. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I think you’ve missed her point. 

Well, Mrs. Bure missed the fact that that Commandment doesn't have an asterisk beside saying that LGTBQ folks aren't covered re not being murdered!

• Like 3
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, Mrs. Bure missed the fact that that Commandment doesn't have an asterisk beside saying that LGTBQ folks aren't covered re not being murdered!

She was involved in the shooting?  How is this not bigger news?  I had no idea.  That's terrible.  Or did she just publicly laud it?  Not sure what's happening here.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Nobody is saying Candace was involved in the actual shooting.  But her anti LGTBQ+ views and that is what they are no matter how politely she tries to phrase them give license to people to think their anti LGTBQ+ views are justified and then act on them in a violent way.  

I'm just trying to figure out about that asterisk she missed.  That seems to be implying that she was pro- these people getting killed and I find that hard to believe.

And violent hateful people don't need anybody giving them license to do anything.  They'll do what they're gonna.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

A lot of hateful people who would previously have kept their hateful views to themselves have been encouraged on the past several years to be very out and proud of their hate.  And that HAS led to an increase in violence against minority communities.

Yes, sadly, celebs are thought of by some as role models and when your role model is, even in a small way, supporting your belief that people different than you are automatically bad or wrong or not worthy, it just fans the flames of hate.

The sad thing is, I don't think she realizes that what she is saying, that some people don't deserve to have their love represented because it isn't man and woman, is harmful and just fuels the already burning flames of hate. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yes, sadly, celebs are thought of by some as role models and when your role model is, even in a small way, supporting your belief that people different than you are automatically bad or wrong or not worthy, it just fans the flames of hate.

The sad thing is, I don't think she realizes that what she is saying, that some people don't deserve to have their love represented because it isn't man and woman, is harmful and just fuels the already burning flames of hate. 

Yup. I literally had to defend a gay man who was brought up in a conversation at work the other day because a coworker said that being gay is wrong. People with large platforms like Candace make others think bigotry is okay.

• Like 2
  • Sad 14
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

She realises, she just doesn't care. Any true Christian knows there's a heck of a lot more said by Jesus about love than hate. 

• Applause 6
  • Love 9

^^^

That was actually Howard Stern that pointed out that Kathy Lee clip years back how I heard of it.  He was pretty much saying he wanted to rip out his TV.

But I know I mentioned Stern earlier in this thread.  He used to for over 30 years really kill Kathie Lee on his show.  Rosie O'Donnell as well he used to really beat up on bad.

Today he is friends with Rosie and apologized and sent flowers to Kathie Lee. 

And again I'm not saying people should be mad or hate each other or be mean to each other or what not.  But he just comes off disingenuous to me.  

• Love 2

I don’t care for Joy Behar.  She strikes me as someone who strikes down or bullies her opinion on anyone that may slightly disagree.  Which to me regardless of what your beliefs are is a huge turnoff.  

Regardless of that she made that dumb comment about how what was going on in the Ukraine affected her vacation to Italy 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
On 11/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, RealHousewife said:

I’m really confused, wasn’t it a self-identified non-binary person who committed the horrible killings?

I am not fan of intolerant people, especially those who claim to be lovers of Jesus (who loved everyone without judgement).

However, I am really not a fan of jumping to conclusions about a crime before the facts are known.

The assumptions of the motivations behind the killer’s motives without knowing who the killer is also problematic.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2
On 12/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, Stats Queen said:

I’m really confused, wasn’t it a self-identified non-binary person who committed the horrible killings?

They went into a gay club during a drag show and killed people.  They also have a father who was recorded stating he was relieved to learn his child was not gay.

Regardless of the shooter's sexuality or gender identity, It's not a leap for Hilarie to connect a culture of homophobia and the attacks on the drag queens to the incident. Members of the LGBTQ community aren't immune to those messages.  It still can manifest itself to hatred, even if if that's partially self-hatred or hatred towards other LGBTQ people.

Edited for clarity of the video.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Applause 11
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They also have a father who was recorded stating he was relieved to learn his child was the shooter in that situation and not gay.

It is terrifying that there are people in this world who think that way. Holy shit!

• Sad 10
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They went into a gay club during a drag show and killed people.  They also have a father who was recorded stating he was relieved to learn his child was the shooter in that situation and not gay.

Regardless of the shooter's sexuality or gender identity, It's not a leap for Hilarie to connect a culture of homophobia and the attacks on the drag queens to the incident. Members of the LGBTQ community aren't immune to those messages.  It still can manifest itself to hatred, even if if that's partially self-hatred or hatred towards other LGBTQ people.

All this, and what’s most problematic to me is people with large platforms like the Camerons putting what are usually friendly faces behind bigotry towards LGBT. They can cause more damage than the blatantly hateful people. 

13 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It is terrifying that there are people in this world who think that way. Holy shit!

It really is. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

All this, and what’s most problematic to me is people with large platforms like the Camerons putting what are usually friendly faces behind bigotry towards LGBT. They can cause more damage than the blatantly hateful people. 

Yep. It is easy to dismiss the blatantly hateful ones as obviously wrong. It is obviously wrong to take someone else's life regardless of your justification. Most people can agree on that...I hope. But when otherwise good, loving people believe that not everyone should be treated equally, that is when society starts to fail.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12