Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

That's hilarious. It's fewer than I'd think possible for someone with a certain level of national fame.

I just thought that was all Megan could afford to buy when she visited the bookstore.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Y'all, she took of a photo of the book propped up on her dad's grave stone with her looking at it pensively while holding her daughter.

I mean...she tried to co opt her dead dad into trying to sell her book! 

She is just an awful, awful person.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, juno said:

I just thought that was all Megan could afford to buy when she visited the bookstore.

I actually wondered about this.  I am positive I've read about other well heeled pseudo celebrities buying up thousands of copies of their books and donating or gifting them (I mean who wouldn't want a free copy of a crappy tell all rather than a bottle of wine?)  or hiding them in a garage (possibly) to make it seem like they were more successful than they actually were.  

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, SusanM said:

I actually wondered about this.  I am positive I've read about other well heeled pseudo celebrities buying up thousands of copies of their books and donating or gifting them (I mean who wouldn't want a free copy of a crappy tell all rather than a bottle of wine?)  or hiding them in a garage (possibly) to make it seem like they were more successful than they actually were.  

It's incredibly easy to game the system and get your book on the NYT's bestseller list.  The Times compiles the number of books sold at specific bookstores.  All you have to do is bulk order your book at one of those stores and boom, you're on the Times bestsellers list for at least one week.  The Times is aware of this and will place a dagger next to your book, telling everyone who checks the list that your book was bulk ordered.  

• Useful 12
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, Enigma X said:

Claire Danes manages to make every character she plays insufferable. I am not sure if it is her acting, if she pursues roles of annoying characters, or a bit of both.

So she is like Angela Chase from My So called Life ?because that character is annoying and then and I didn't care for her in Homeland.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Nicmar said:

So she is like Angela Chase from My So called Life ?because that character is annoying and then and I didn't care for her in Homeland.

I don't know how Miss Danes is offstage (and it's not my biz) but, for whatever reasons (whether personal choice and/or typecasting) , she does seem to gravitate towards characters that seem less fun than a barrel of dead monkeys. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I don't know how Miss Danes is offstage (and it's not my biz) but, for whatever reasons (whether personal choice and/or typecasting) , she does seem to gravitate towards characters that seem less fun than a barrel of dead monkeys. 

It's true.  The characters she plays are always serious or sad or just plain a downer.  I always felt like I should like My So Called Life but I just could not get into it because of Angela Chase.  I found her to be such a boring character.   Same thing with Homeland.  I wanted to like it and I did watch it but I just couldn't like Carrie.  For me I think it's Claire Danes doesn't exhibit any spark.  As you said you don't know her and neither do I but she gives off this dull as dishwater vibe.  

• Love 3

I get the sense from the very little I know of Claire Danes off camera she probably wouldn't be my choice to spend an evening with, but I've liked her performances in the handful of things I've seen her in, although the only thing I absolutely loved her on was My So-Called Life.

• Love 6

Someone once called Errol Flynn 'a 50-year trespass against good taste' - and, if Tommy Lee celebrates his 60th birthday in October, IMO, one could say the same about him  ( subbing 60 for 50)! I have zero interest in his life or personality but both have been foisted on us yet again via the Hulu series Pam and Tommy (2022)that he himself supports.

I'd have been happy to have remained ignorant of its (and his) excesses but the 'star' of the enterprise Sebastian Stan appeared  on Friday, May 20,2022 on   Late Show with Stephen Colbert to promo it . The only vaguely tasteful story that got mentioned that  I  will  relate is how Mr. Lee deliberately stiffed his  contractors after they had  used a rare  ( if not endangered ) species of pine from Madagascar for one of his rooms for many $ thousands !  Of course, I was also disappointed that both Mr. Stan and Mr. Colbert appeared to celebrate rather than having been in any way discomfited or embarrassed via the depiction of Mr. Lee's alleged  antics (and was thankful that the  classy Jon Batiste was nowhere near this mess ).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/16/2022 at 10:19 PM, AgathaC said:

I recall an interview with Maura Tierney where she was asked about Phil Hartman. In the story, she said Rogan had said something cruel to her and she was off by herself afterwards when Phil came and sat by her and just said “I hope you know how much you’re loved.” It’s a story that shows what a lovely, sweet man Phil was — and confirms my long-time gut feeling that Rogan is an ass.

Thank you for sharing this.  Phil Hartman was such a sweetie.  Nothing ever bad was said about him.  And I always loved Maura Tierney.

Rogan on the other hand can go f himself.

Edited by Macbeth1966
  • Love 20
19 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest are awful enough individually. But together, they are just a big black hole of unbearability. How people watch their show, I’ll never know.

If we each get our own personal hell mine would be being locked in a room having to listen to their shrieking all day ever day. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

If we each get our own personal hell mine would be being locked in a room having to listen to their shrieking all day ever day. 

Agree! I have to wonder if part or most of Miss Ripa's and Mr. Seacrest's fanbase might be folks enduring them to build tolerance to pain so they'll be ready for any  impending root canals or kidney stone passages!

• LOL 7

Vince Vaughn and Jesse Eisenberg. How did these two creatures ever get parts in movies? VV has a loud, OTT gravelly voice, & *always* seems like the same character no matter what role he's playing.  Eisenberg is unattractive & can't act. Is he related to someone powerful in Hollywood?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

My husband and I were talking about this.  We realized that even though Johnny has a long tv/movie history we haven't watched very many of his movies. I've only ever see 21 Jump Street, the first Pirates and Willy Wonka remake.  My husband said he's only seen Donnie Brasco.  I would have sworn I'd seen more, but no.  Needless to say I have no desire to see anything else or backtrack on anything I already missed.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

My husband and I were talking about this.  We realized that even though Johnny has a long tv/movie history we haven't watched very many of his movies. I've only ever see 21 Jump Street, the first Pirates and Willy Wonka remake.  My husband said he's only seen Donnie Brasco.  I would have sworn I'd seen more, but no.  Needless to say I have no desire to see anything else or backtrack on anything I already missed.

Yeah it won't be hard for me to avoid any past movies he has done. Most I hadn't seen and the ones I have seen I have no desire to see again.

I saw a headline somewhere that any new Pirates movies will now include Depp.  Wonder if that will  help or hurt the movies.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I saw a headline somewhere that any new Pirates movies will now include Depp.  Wonder if that will  help or hurt the movies.

While I hope it tanks and ends the franchise for good, I have a really, really bad feeling. The "general public" tend to get their facts from twitter/social media these days, so it will probably be a huge hit. *sigh* 🤮

• Love 7
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

He is great in Chocolat, a wonderful movie. Other than that, I haven’t seen much of his recent work. Oh - also the Ninth Gate.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

And don't forget his cologne commercials, which I still think are parodies.  (They can't be serious, can they?)

Yep! Well, AFIAC, Mr. Depp has been a toxic, egomaniac pain for years and, long before that whole fiasco of a trial, I've had no interest in seeing him on TV- and that includes those bug spray ads! 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah it won't be hard for me to avoid any past movies he has done. Most I hadn't seen and the ones I have seen I have no desire to see again.

I imagine all the toxic manboys and MRA weirdos who have suddenly realised they love Johnny Depp and always have, will make a point of paying to go and see it multiple times, just to 'send a message to Hollywood about woke culture' or some bullshit.

I managed to sit through the first two of those movies. The first was okay, as a dumb, popcorn movie, but the second was shit. I think the last actual good performance I've seen from Depp was probably in Blow.

• Love 9

The only movies I can think of that I've seen which had Depp in them were Edward ScissorhandsNightmare on Elm StreetCorpse Bride (though there he was a voice actor), and Sleepy Hollow.

And I do like all those movies, but he's not the reason I watched them. Either there were other people involved in those films that I liked, or I just liked the general spooky/creepy story of the film, or things of that sort. 

I do remember seeing some of one of the Pirates movies at a friend's house once, but I don't have much opinion on it one way or another. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The only movies I can think of that I've seen which had Depp in them were Edward ScissorhandsNightmare on Elm StreetCorpse Bride (though there he was a voice actor), and Sleepy Hollow.

And I do like all those movies, but he's not the reason I watched them. Either there were other people involved in those films that I liked, or I just liked the general spooky/creepy story of the film, or things of that sort. 

I do remember seeing some of one of the Pirates movies at a friend's house once, but I don't have much opinion on it one way or another. 

I liked him in Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, and the first Pirates of the Carribean movies. But I've also never seen them in years and have no interest in seeing them again. I was never an MJ fan so it's easy not to listen to his music or R. Kelly.

But it is hard for me to write off old Leverage and Librarian episodes. One of my favorite White Collar episode has Masterson and his brother, it stinks I really love that episode it's a fun quest and has Mozzie pretending to be a blind man at the planetarium and he's line "I love the idea of stars".  One of my favorite movies is the King's Speech by Weinstein. It really stinks there's so many horrible actors, musicians and producers who make good movies or music.

One I have no problem watching is OJ Simpson in Naked Gun moves I like to imagine everything that happens to his character is happening to him. Being shot at multiple people, foot caught in a bear trap, wet paint, and falls overboard into the ocean.  That's just the start.

• Love 7
(edited)
49 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

One I have no problem watching is OJ Simpson in Naked Gun moves I like to imagine everything that happens to his character is happening to him. Being shot at multiple people, foot caught in a bear trap, wet paint, and falls overboard into the ocean.  That's just the start.

And see, that one would be especially weird for me, 'cause the first time I ever heard of him was when the murders of Nicole and Ron happened. The things he was famous for before then either happened well before I was born or when I was too young to be aware of him. I've heard of the Naked Gun movies and seen snippets when people talked about them on TV, but that's it. 

So if I were to watch something featuring him, all I'd be thinking about are the murders and his trial. That makes for another interesting factor and wrinkle for some people as well when it comes to deciding whether or not to watch/listen to/read things from problematic people. It's one thing to debate whether to get into or continue liking a problematic person's work while they're still alive and you're aware of their work to some degree. But what happens if you discover them after the fact? 

I do like your idea on how to handle watching stuff like that with him, though :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 6/7/2022 at 1:58 AM, Cinnabon said:

He is great in Chocolat

The only thing I know about Chocolat was Jimmy Fallon skewering it on SNL's Weekend Update by saying "Chocolat choco-sucked and I want my choco-money back!" I guess that's why I've never seen it.

On to more serious things...I think of myself as more of a person who separates the performance from the performer, at least in general. Considering that most entertainers are people who I've never personally met, as well as the fact I've been burned a few times declaring "X celebrity is problematic!" I don't tend to feel too strongly about the various controversies celebrities find themselves in. I also feel that 99% of the time a celebrity scandal is far more nuanced than it initially appears to be, with the details of the story too vague to make any kind of strong conclusion about them.

The only exceptions I would say are those who have actually been convicted of a serious crime (because it's hard to ignore a decision made by a court of law) or those people who I've actually met and were not fond of the experience. To the latter, I haven't met any celebrity who's incredibly famous (no one who would, at least, be an "A-lister" in Hollywood, that's for sure) so I'm not sure if it would be worth mentioning any names because I'm not sure anyone would recognize them.

To the former...three that really stick out are R. Kelly, Gary Glitter and Bill Cosby. I can't tell you how much I really enjoyed their work. I still think very highly of their work...but, because of what they've done, I just can't bring myself to appreciate their work anymore. Let me tell you, it just eats at me, especially when it comes to Cosby because I can't put into words just how great I used to view him and his material.

...but...he has, what, 60 women who have accused him of drugging them and assaulting them? Actions Cosby has, himself, admitted to doing under oath. Yeah, his conviction was overturned, but that was due to technicalities.

All in all, it sure paints a pretty detailed picture of a man who isn't as nice a guy as he pretends to be. So as much as I might have liked his work previously, I just can't look past the gravity of what he's done.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1

Chris Rock is going to do a show with Dave Chappelle. Which means he stands by Chappelle's bigoted views, which means he's just as big a piece of shit, which means I was right in holding him responsible for the whole slap thing.

My reasoning, for those who don't know, he made an insulting 'joke'. It's clear he doesn't understand the difference between funny and insulting, and has refused to learn. Fuck him and anyone who defends him.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That is a wonderful movie.  Fortunately, he is not the main focus of it.

I saw it and remember mostly enjoying it, but I think that was despite of Johnny Depp.  I don't really recall much of his part.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

Chris Rock is going to do a show with Dave Chappelle. Which means he stands by Chappelle's bigoted views, which means he's just as big a piece of shit, which means I was right in holding him responsible for the whole slap thing.

My reasoning, for those who don't know, he made an insulting 'joke'. It's clear he doesn't understand the difference between funny and insulting, and has refused to learn. Fuck him and anyone who defends him.

I am so over people who say that stand-up comedians get a pass on everything they say, because it's "humor". I just wish someone would make a special, or stand-up routine or whatever is that called, about Ricky Gervais, Dave Chappelle and their like, pulling no punches and slamming them for their views while also being funny. I wonder what their and their fans' response would be.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I am so over people who say that stand-up comedians get a pass on everything they say, because it's "humor". I just wish someone would make a special, or stand-up routine or whatever is that called, about Ricky Gervais, Dave Chappelle and their like, pulling no punches and slamming them for their views while also being funny. I wonder what their and their fans' response would be.

Here's the thing about people like Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais: they can dish it out... but they sure as fuck can't take it. 

No, they can't. They absolutely cannot. Their idea of humor is to lash out against those they deem inferior as a way to mask their own petty, stupid, worthless insecurities. They lean on hollow bluster and their idiotic idea of "masculinity" like a crutch. The problem is, this crutch is made out of balsa wood, and once it breaks, they'll show everyone who they truly are: whiny, pitiful man-babies who are more thin-skinned than the "Millennial Snowflakes" they just loooooooove to rail against. 

If Chappelle, Gervais, Chris Rock, or Bill Burr were ever the subject of a roast, they'd drown in their own tears in less than five minutes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Here's the thing about people like Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais: they can dish it out... but they sure as fuck can't take it. 

I beg to differ. I've seen Ricky on numerous shows talking about insult comedy, which btw, is a real thing. Think Don Rickles...who made a career out of insult comedy and nobody whined about it or got their panties in a twist. 

Anyway, Ricky couldn't give two shits about what people think of him or about him. He's got the right attitude. Bravo, Ricky!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 6/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Stand up is supposed to be subjective and push boundaries.

There are few comedians today funnier than George Carlin, and he skewered politics, religion, sexuality, societal norms.

We can’t, and shouldn’t, put a leash on stand up comedy because it offends someone.  

And yes, as long as it’s done in the stage, they should get a pass.

Dave  Chappelle’s one of the funniest guys around right now.  And his scathing stand up on Jussie Smollett, excuse me, Juicy Smollyay, is fricking hilarious.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Stand up is supposed to be subjective and push boundaries.

There are few comedians today funnier than George Carlin, and he skewered politics, religion, sexuality, societal norms.

We can’t, and shouldn’t, put a leash on stand up comedy because it offends someone.  

And yes, as long as it’s done in the stage, they should get a pass.

So any idiot can get up on stage, insult people to their faces, and just be given a free pass? "Hey everyone, look at this ugly freak! Isn't it hilarious he's so ugly? So brave to go out without a paper bag over his head!" How is that funny?

No, calling oneself a comedian doesn't give them a free pass to be an asshole. Especially if they're picking on people already marginalised and persecuted. Dogpiling isn't funny.

Edited by Anduin
  • Applause 8
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, Anduin said:

So any idiot can get up on stage, insult people to their faces, and just be given a free pass? "Hey everyone, look at this ugly freak! Isn't it hilarious he's so ugly? So brave to go out without a paper bag over his head!" How is that funny?

No, calling oneself a comedian doesn't give them a free pass to be an asshole. Especially if they're picking on people already marginalised and persecuted. Dogpiling isn't funny.

Amen.  And George Carlin would agree-

• Applause 4
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Yes. If you have to make fun of someone to make yourself funny you aren't funny.

Don't get me wrong. I do laugh at jokes that are about people.  But I do not find jokes with regards to people's color, sexual identity or a bunch of other things funny at all.

15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He was the master.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thanks for posting that clip. I went to look for it, got distracted by my cat and you added it here before I got back . I'm sure if George was still alive he'd add Transgender people along with others to the list he made. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 5

Very thoughtful and completely correct. I liked Carlin in that clip more than his comedy sessions.

17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm sure if George was still alive he'd add Transgender people along with others to the list he made. 

Would he add fat people, do you think?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ABay said:

I liked Carlin in that clip more than his comedy sessions.

Carlin was the same person on the stage as off the stage.  That isn't true for a lot of people.

In that clip he is talking about Andrew Dice Clay.  I remember the outcry at the time about his humor.  I think today he would be even more popular but with even more of an outcry against him.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

No. And yes.  You can't tell me that individual political humor isn't funny.  That making fun of the actions of celebrities is okay.  Making fun of personal traits that someone was born with, or had done in an accident (Idiots like Richard Pryor notwithstanding) is not okay.  I don't agree w/Chris Rock's stupid joke, but how it he situation was handled by both Will & the Academy was worse.

Comedians CAN get up on stage and make generalizations, however.  Esp if they are abt a group they belong to (Josh Blue for example).

ETA I'm sick of people trying to be so damn 'correct', so no one's precious feelings get hurt.  This country has gotten so soft and weak regarding free speech.

Edited by roamyn
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3