Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

Taika Waititi seems like a person who is on all the time. For that, he annoys me. Staying in my lane of not standing someone irrationally, I used to not not be fond of Ryan Reynolds. I like him now.

• Love 2
On 3/19/2022 at 7:05 PM, SJC said:

Vincent Kartheiser comes across--to me--in interviews as being arrogant, boastful and sarcastic. I saw one interview he did, at one point it came up that the interviewer had lived in Canada, Vincent then proceeded to say "I bet I've been to more places in Canada then you have." And he was dead serious. What a douche!

And then this lovely quote from this self-important twit:
"I'm an asshole. I'm really unsupportive of my fans."
Wow, just WOW.

I don't care what else he's done, to me he'll always be the guy who ruined Angel.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 12/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, Egg McMuffin said:

Oh, where to begin!

• Kelly Ripa
  • Ryan Seacrest
  • Michael Strahan
  • Peyton and Eli Manning
  • Jimmy Kimmel
  • Whit Johnson
  • Aaron Rodgers

I’m sure I can come up with more.

To be fair to Kelly Ripa her husband is even more annoying. I honestly can't stand him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, ShadowHunter said:

To be fair to Kelly Ripa her husband is even more annoying. I honestly can't stand him.

At least them being married to each other means that there are two NON-annoying potential spouses out there who've gotten spared the fate of being married to either of them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

David Spade & Chris Elliot.  Two of the least talented, most obnoxious people on tv.  I simply cannot understand how they have careers.

Well, Chris Elliot was the son of the late, great, talented, likable and genuine funny Bob Elliot so perhaps his career is due to no one wanting to have hurt his late father's feelings. 

As for David Spade? I'm not so sure since he became famous BEFORE his brother Andy married the ill-fated designer known as  Kate Spade- and he's somehow stayed in the spotlight in the years after her tragic death. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

David Spade & Chris Elliot.  Two of the least talented, most obnoxious people on tv.  I simply cannot understand how they have careers.

Substitute Andy Dick for David Spade, and I could have written this.  David Spade I've only ever found funny on Just Shoot Me, but I did find him funny in that one thing, which is more than I can say for the other two.  I love Schitt's Creek, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it, especially season one, because Chris Elliot annoys me so much (and, no, it's not him doing a great job playing an annoying character -- he himself annoys me in everything).  Andy Dick is worse for me, utterly unwatchable (even before the numerous sexual assaults).

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Substitute Andy Dick for David Spade, and I could have written this.  David Spade I've only ever found funny on Just Shoot Me, but I did find him funny in that one thing, which is more than I can say for the other two.  I love Schitt's Creek, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it, especially season one, because Chris Elliot annoys me so much (and, no, it's not him doing a great job playing an annoying character -- he himself annoys me in everything).  Andy Dick is worse for me, utterly unwatchable (even before the numerous sexual assaults).

I agree! His presence sure didn't help the 1995 revival of Get Smart . Although Barbara Feldon has since said that neither she nor the late Don Adams had wanted to do  the pilot movie or the resulting series- but they later compared notes and found out that they each had been told that the OTHER was interested so, to keep from hurting each other's feelings, they agreed to do it against  their own individual better judgments . 

Don Adams also said that, after seeing the pilot, he KNEW 'the kid'(meaning Mr. Dick) couldn't carry the show! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 7
On 4/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, proserpina65 said:

I cannot stand Samantha Bee.  I find her annoying and too, too much all the damned time.

Oh I so agree.  I admire her topics, but she’s so dang loud and OTT that it makes me reach for he remote.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree! His presence sure didn't help the 1995 revival of Get Smart . Although Barbara Feldon has since said that neither she nor the late Don Adams had wanted to   the pilot movie or the resulting series- but they later traded notes and found out that they each had been told that the OTHER was interested so, to keep from hurting each other's feelings, they agreed to do it against  their own individual better judgments . 

Don Adams also said that, after seeing the pilot, he KNEW 'the kid'(meaning Mr. Dick) couldn't carry the show! 

I've hated Andy dick ever since I read about him causing Phil Hartmanns wife to relapse into drugs, possibly leading to their deaths  

• Love 10
On 4/17/2022 at 6:17 AM, Avabelle said:

I still don’t get how Rogan was/is a comedian before his podcasting took off.. the man is NOT FUNNY at all. 

He is one of those guys who just got lucky.   I'm still baffled by his success as a podcaster.  Why anyone cares to listen to anything he has to say is beyond me.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

He is one of those guys who just got lucky.   I'm still baffled by his success as a podcaster.  Why anyone cares to listen to anything he has to say is beyond me.

He feeds the right wing trolls what they want to hear. 

I'd never listen.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
49 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Michael Rapaport. I have hated his character in every single thing I’ve seen him in. I had forgotten how much I loathe him until I recently rewatched the season of Justified that featured him. 

I wish there was a way to somehow edit him out of that season. 😂 I did watch some little independent film he was in a while ago where he wasn't insufferable, but when he first popped up, I was just like "UGH."

• Love 2

I'm starting to really dislike Nicole Byer, which is annoying because I used to like her a lot. But listening to all the podcasts she's on, I realised that so much of her humour comes from a false "oh, I'm so dumb. I don't know anything about anything!" stance and it's really frustrating. Not only that, but she constantly acts like actually knowing something is uncool.

She's not dumb, I'm sure of that. Why does she insist on playing this lowest common denominator act? Latest example - on the Newcomers podcast that she does with Lauren Lapkus (which is incredibly disappointing because they never actually give the franchises they're 'newcoming' to anything like a fair shot, or even their full attention) and she was talking about an Oscar Isaac movie she loved - she said "what is it? Mochaccino? Creme Fraiche?" No, it's Ex Machina, and you know it is, you just said you loved it. Is it somehow embarrassing to remember the name of a movie?

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree. It seems to be essential to her to celebrate ignorance, and that is disappointing for me. I was really enjoying her on Nailed It! because originally there was less focus on her but that's been changing. I couldn't finish the last season because her antics have become predictable and unfunny.

I also think she's getting to be overexposed. That's a career-killer for a performer with as limited a range as she has.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 2

Generally speaking, there are very few people in the public eye that I loathe with all of my heart. I might not like their performances or what they have said and/or done but I'm the kind of guy that likes to see the human in everyone and, well, we've all had our moments where we were less than ideal.

Having said that...since sports people have been named on this list and I'm a sports guy so I'll name another two:

• Don Cherry. I know I'll probably hear about it from my fellow Canadians, but hear me out on this one. He might be best remembered in more recent times for getting fired from Rogers Sportsnet after a cringe-worthy segment on his last Coach's Corner where he complained about "you people" (arguably referring to immigrants) who supposedly don't respect Canada or its values, but I saw that as merely the last straw for a career where he has always been on thin ice. Truth is, he was always a racist- he just happened to get away with it because, for a lack of better terms, the people he was racist towards- Europeans and French Canadians- were not the kind of groups that society as a whole tends to get outraged over if they're "targeted". Which is sad. To put in perspective, if Cherry had gone on endless diatribes suggesting that "black players play dirty...they're not tough...they're soft...they don't play the game 'the right way'...they take away spots from Canadians who can play...etc.," then I doubt he would have lasted even a year in the booth. Because the usual targets of those diatribes were Swedes, Finns and Russians...crickets. So while there were many Canadians who shed a tear when Rogers fired him, I sure didn't.
  • Vince McMahon. Hey, wrestling is on TV...and it might not be a sport in the conventional sense but it does dramatize a sporting competition and you do have to be pretty athletic to be good at it. Anyway...McMahon doesn't show up much on TV nowadays but he's still very much a mainstay of WWE programming behind the scenes. Which is the root of WWE's current problems with drawing viewers. No, I don't buy the idea that McMahon regularly "buries" wrestlers just to "make sure they don't get too popular"...I believe that's simply the complaint of fans of a particular wrestler who didn't get the WWE run they felt they should have gotten. It's more of a matter of that I think McMahon is really out of touch with what the fans want in this generation. One, I don't really think he's fully grasped the idea that wrestlers nowadays are people the audience sees as simply people "doing their jobs" instead of people the audience is supposed to buy as "that's who they really are". McMahon still tries to micromanage the wrestlers' performances and lives a bit too much (for a time he banned WWE wrestlers from using third party services, like Twitch), and WWE still runs on a schedule where everyone is on the road for almost literally the whole year. The idea that wrestlers should be given time off to pursue other projects seems foreign to him, even though it would be beneficial to WWE as a whole. The visibility WWE got from The Rock, John Cena, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Triple H and even Hulk Hogan from appearing on TV and movies was arguably a large part of why WWE had its boom periods in the '80s and '90s and its absence is arguably why they're failing to draw viewers now. Secondly, McMahon does not seem to grasp the finer details of storytelling and storycraft as a whole. This may tie into the first point because, to tell a proper story, you need to know what roles each performer will play, and I'm not sure McMahon sees his wrestlers as anyone other than "these are the guys I like and these are the ones I don't". On another front, WWE has a poor time telling stories that are long term, with the few times they've struck long-term storytelling gold being the moments that fell in their lap (such as the time an actual botch by Kofi Kingston in 2009 was drawn upon for a storyline done literally ten years later). Far too often WWE favours shock value and easy laughs over having a proper build to a moment that could truly be epic and grand. Worse, WWE doesn't tend to have a lot of patience in allowing wrestlers to develop- if they don't "get over" within their first few appearances, it usually means a career on the lower card, if they don't get entirely released outright within a matter of weeks. While I grant that there are plenty of other people who deserve blame for WWE's faults, since McMahon micromanages everything about WWE, I put the blame for its faults squarely on him, because who knows what the promotion could be if it weren't for his meddling.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I agree. It seems to be essential to her to celebrate ignorance, and that is disappointing for me. I was really enjoying her on Nailed It! because originally there was less focus on her but that's been changing. I couldn't finish the last season because her antics have become predictable and unfunny.

I also think she's getting to be overexposed. That's a career-killer for a performer with as limited a range as she has.

I wrote in here a few pages back that I saw one episode of Nailed It! and couldn't bare it because she was treating one of the young men in a way that if the roles were reversed and it was a male host who was treating a female contestant that way, there would have been outrage. You could easily tell how uncomfortable he was.  I don't know what season it was (my allergist, who requires you to stay for 30 minutes after a shot, has a large tv with Netflix, so they choose the shows), so I don't know if she started off like that, but it was too much and turned me off immediately.

• Love 4

I just don't like Elisabeth Moss. From West Wing to Mad Men (shows I watched) there is an arrogance about her I don't like. Even if you are a great actress, I can still tell if you think your stuff don't stink.

• Love 20
29 minutes ago, juno said:

I just don't like Elisabeth Moss. From West Wing to Mad Men (shows I watched) there is an arrogance about her I don't like. Even if you are a great actress, I can still tell if you think your stuff don't stink.

You aren’t wrong.  And I didn't like her characters, Zoe Bartlett or Peggy Olsen either.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, juno said:

I thought I was the only one since it seems like the entire universe thinks she walks on water. I never understood it. She's a decent actress but I've never been blown away by anything she's done. She's fine but I don't see anything special about her. Maybe that's the point? Because she's so average people like her? IDK. 

At least she doesn't actively annoy me the way Sarah Paulson does. That woman is nails on a chalkboard for me. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, juno said:

Kinda agree.  Altho for me, dislike a titch too strong for what I feel.  More like studied indifference.  More than that she falls into a group that I often wonder how they have the career they have.  I personally don't find her a particularly good or charismatic actress at all.  She's fairly basic, imo.  But she manages to get good roles and it puzzles me. 

Bradley Cooper is another one in this particular niche for me.  He is a good looking dude, but his career trajectory feels miraculous to me because I just don't see it.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I personally don't find her a particularly good or charismatic actress at all.  She's fairly basic, imo.  But she manages to get good roles and it puzzles me. 

I fall into this camp, from my very limited exposure.  I thought she was a bad actor on The West Wing, and then didn't see her in anything else until Us, when I thought she'd matured into eh, okay, fine.  So, yeah, I'm always a bit surprised when I read she's starring in something.

• Love 1

I really liked her in Mad Men--I felt like her ordinariness and even an arrogance was pretty essential to the character of Peggy Olson--but I couldn't stand her in The West Wing. When she was kidnapped, I didn't feel like getting her back was super urgent and I actually think I stopped watching the show around the same time that plot point popped up. 😂

I will admit that her being a Scientologist also weirds me out. I don't mind her, but I can't say her starring in a project has ever been a selling point for me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Kinda agree.  Altho for me, dislike a titch too strong for what I feel.  More like studied indifference.  More than that she falls into a group that I often wonder how they have the career they have.  I personally don't find her a particularly good or charismatic actress at all.  She's fairly basic, imo.  But she manages to get good roles and it puzzles me. 

She is basic and that is her selling point.  She can play the ordinary female character, she must be a professional on set, and Hollywood operates under the Highlander Principle for actresses who do not fit their beauty standards.  I liked her as Peggy Olson in Mad Men, but I cannot say that she has wowed me in any of her other projects since.  I bailed on Top of the Lake early on and only made it through season one of The Handmaid's Tale.  I do plan on tracking down some recaps of her latest just because I want to see how the show handles adapting that book.  I read it when it came out and found the book did not stick the landing when it came to the ending.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I’ve already posted how my mother cannot stand Jane Seymour, and I’m starting to share her disdain because of how Seymour is recently coming out with the claim that she and Christopher Reeve really did fall in love while they made Somewhere In Time but broke up because he found out his ex was pregnant.

Yeah I’m calling bullshit on this because I read his memoir and he never said a word about ANYTHING going on between the two of them—of course, it’s possible that he didn’t want to disclose that because unlike (too many men today) he was a gentleman. But it’s rankling me that Seymour (and the media) is acting like they were starcrosssd soulmates that will hopefully find each other again. May I remind you all that he had a wife Dana whom he loved very much and their love story was ten times more tragically beautiful than whatever fling might have happened?! Get over yourself, Jane!!!!!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Zella said:

I really liked her in Mad Men--I felt like her ordinariness and even an arrogance was pretty essential to the character of Peggy Olson--but I couldn't stand her in The West Wing. When she was kidnapped, I didn't feel like getting her back was super urgent and I actually think I stopped watching the show around the same time that plot point popped up. 😂

I will admit that her being a Scientologist also weirds me out. I don't mind her, but I can't say her starring in a project has ever been a selling point for me. 

I couldn’t stand her on TWW and groaned every time she turned up. If it had been an actress and character I actually liked I may have been invested in her rescue. As it was, I fluctuated between annoyed, bored and “is this really such a big deal? Let them keep her.”

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Zella said:

I absolutely loved Peggy Olson! I never watched The West Wing, but I did enjoy Top of the Lake and am still hanging in for The Handmaid’s Tale. The Scientology thing does bother me a bit though. 

Quitting Mad Men GIF

• Love 4
On 5/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, Mabinogia said:

I thought I was the only one since it seems like the entire universe thinks she walks on water. I never understood it. She's a decent actress but I've never been blown away by anything she's done. She's fine but I don't see anything special about her. Maybe that's the point? Because she's so average people like her? IDK. 

At least she doesn't actively annoy me the way Sarah Paulson does. That woman is nails on a chalkboard for me. 

I think that actresses who aren't gorgeous and/or are willing to make themselves look frumpy for a role tend to get overpraised and then become the go-to for the "complicated Everywoman" roles. So they become overexposed. I don't mind Moss but lately she seems to be in EVERYTHING. Your reaction to her is similar to mine about Frances McDormand.

I'm curious what you don't like about Paulson. Apart from her role as Marcia Clark in The People vs. O.J. Simpson, I couldn't name anything she's done. I read her list of credentials and was surprised to discover I've seen many of them.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Meghan McCain.  Formerly of The View.  I dislike her so hard but have never given her any of my attention to post about her ever.  But man, oh man, she is being dragged for filth up and down and sideways on Twitter by her dad's former campaign manager and he has been doing it for days.  Something in him snapped and the brakes are off.  And he has such a way with words that it is almost poetry to read.

Also her book only sold 244 copies. 

No, not boxes...copies.  I am dying over the karma!

And it's about time. She accused him of being a pedophile. And that's what ended his silence.

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And it's about time. She accused him of being a pedophile. And that's what ended his silence.

One of Schmidt's quotes:

“She has rejected her Family’s history of service for a shallow and purposeless celebrity where she trades on a famous name like a fourth generation wannabe clipping coupons while pretending to be an heir,” he wrote.

I am dropping the man's mike right here. Not much more to say. BULLSEYE BABY!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm curious what you don't like about Paulson.

I just don't think she's a great actress. I don't even think she's a good one. I watched American Horror Story for a few years and she was just relentlessly pushed as the greatest thing ever, only, when I watched her I just saw someone acting and it always pulled me out of the show. 

It's not entirely rational. She's just one of those people I just can't stand watching. 

• Love 5

Aaron Paul. The media was acting like he was the next big thing for a while, until they figured out that he’s a one-note performer who lucked out with a big role in a good show.

Oh well, he could probably still make some money selling ad space on that ginormous forehead of his.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, juno said:

One of Schmidt's quotes:

“She has rejected her Family’s history of service for a shallow and purposeless celebrity where she trades on a famous name like a fourth generation wannabe clipping coupons while pretending to be an heir,” he wrote.

I am dropping the man's mike right here. Not much more to say. BULLSEYE BABY!!!

Honestly, though, for someone like Meghan McCain, I'm glad she chose shallow celebrity rather than trading on her father's name and running for office.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, though, for someone like Meghan McCain, I'm glad she chose shallow celebrity rather than trading on her father's name and running for office.

I actually think that was/is  her plan.  Of course she would go down in flames.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, though, for someone like Meghan McCain, I'm glad she chose shallow celebrity rather than trading on her father's name

She constantly traded her father's name during her stint on The View as a cudgel to avoid being criticized for all her lies, spreading misinformation and her stance that only her opinion was the RIGHT opinion and everyone else could just go to hell.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Don't give her any ideas. Shudder.

• Love 12
On 5/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, DearEvette said:

Meghan McCain.  Formerly of The View.  I dislike her so hard but have never given her any of my attention to post about her ever.  But man, oh man, she is being dragged for filth up and down and sideways on Twitter by her dad's former campaign manager and he has been doing it for days.  Something in him snapped and the brakes are off.  And he has such a way with words that it is almost poetry to read.

Also her book only sold 244 copies. 

No, not boxes...copies.  I am dying over the karma!

AFIAC, the only positive that came out of her View stint was that it spared her poor father from having to endure her rants,etc. in the family home. 

• LOL 4