Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I think Mrs. Obama has a great sense of humor.  In particular, I remember her doing the mom dance with Jimmy Fallon.  I think people are afraid to let loose and be too funny with Ellen because they're afraid she'll do something to scare the crap out of them.  

• Love 19
On 2/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, Crashcourse said:

In particular, I remember her doing the mom dance with Jimmy Fallon.

Those (they did two versions) were fabulous!  Also when they surprised people on the NBC studios tour. 

Obama is funny in all of them, because she has a good sense of humor that comes through, but the overall vibe is so much better with Fallon than DeGeneres, because of the differences in how they behave.  And I know nothing about Fallon other than a few clips I've seen, but I don't know much more about DeGeneres these days, either; I used to watch her sitcom and her stand-up back in the day, but usually when I come across a clip of her in recent years, there's a vibe that didn't used to be there - that of an instigator, I guess.  Prankster?  It's hard to describe, but it can be very off-putting.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I remember her doing the mom dance with Jimmy Fallon.  I think people are afraid to let loose and be too funny with Ellen because they're afraid she'll do something to scare the crap out of them.  

I think Fallon is what Ellen pretends to be. I've only seen clips of his show when he's interviewing someone I like as I'm not a huge fan of him in general, but every interview I've seen him do is relaxed, casual and fun. I've yet to see a guest of his feel put on the spot, or have to defend themselves. 

Then there's Ellen, who delights in making people uncomfortable, nervous, even afraid. She's a practical joker. I hate practical jokes, personally, so I've never been too fond of her outside of her sitcom, which I did love back in the day. 

Where Fallon seems to want to include his guests in his fun and games which I think helps put them at ease and make them more open to doing what he asks, Ellen seems to want to make her guests the butt of her jokes or the tools for her amusement. It's not enjoyable to me. I won't even watch an interview from her show with someone I love just because I know they won't be at their best. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Mrs. Obama has a great sense of humor.  In particular, I remember her doing the mom dance with Jimmy Fallon.  I think people are afraid to let loose and be too funny with Ellen because they're afraid she'll do something to scare the crap out of them.  

Yeah, to say nothing of doing her best to make them look like fools and/or clods if they don't do their best  to act as though what they experienced at her hands is downright hilarious and consider her to be  brilliant and their best pal! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

I thought the bit with Ellen and Michelle Obama was hilarious.  I mentioned above that I dislike Ellen's using mean jokes on people to get a laugh, but both the Michelle skit and the Dennis Quaid skits (with him saying random things to strangers) are funny, since MO and DQ are playing along with the silliness.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought the bit with Ellen and Michelle Obama was hilarious.  I mentioned above that I dislike Ellen's using mean jokes on people to get a laugh, but both the Michelle skit and the Dennis Quaid skits (with him saying random things to strangers) are funny, since MO and DQ are playing along with the silliness.

Yeah, but the random strangers aren't playing along with the silliness. I really doubt the QFC manager wants customers coming at him with a back scratcher.

• Love 5

Of course, it's telling that in the recent Valentine's Day issue of People magazine, Miss Degeneres and her wife Miss  de Rossi were asked how they supported each other 'through the controversy surrounding' the former's show and not only did Miss de Rossi claim "the most important thing for Ellen was that everybody who works on her show feels valued and enjoys coming to work. To hear that anybody had any negative experience was awful," followed by Miss Degeneres adding," It broke my heart; that was my family. I can't really put into words other than to say I couldn't have gone through everything I went through without her. It was a horrible time in my life, and she was a rock."

IOW,  IMO it seems that neither Miss de Rossi nor Miss Degeneres were willing to acknowledge that the latter could have been in any way a contributing factor to her employees' discontent and that she was as nice as pie to everyone but   just got meanly persecuted for no reasons whatsoever out of thin air. It sure doesn't sound as though she's actually learned any lessons nor attempted any kind of changes for the better - because the two of them seem to have worked hard to convince  themselves that Miss Degeneres was in no way at fault. And Miss Degeneres seems to have sung Miss de Rossi's praises for being an enabler. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Of course, it's telling that in the recent Valentine's Day issue of People magazine, Miss Degeneres and her wife Miss  de Rossi were asked how they supported each other 'through the controversy surrounding' the former's show and not only did Miss de Rossi claim "the most important thing for Ellen was that everybody who works on her show feels valued and enjoys coming to work. To hear that anybody had any negative experience was awful," followed by Miss Degeneres adding," It broke my heart; that was my family. I can't really put into words other than to say I couldn't have gone through everything I went through without her. It was a horrible time in my life, and she was a rock."

IOW,  IMO it seems that neither Miss de Rossi nor Miss Degeneres were willing to acknowledge that the latter could have been in any way a contributing factor to her employees' discontent and that she as nice as pie to everyone but   just got meanly persecuted for no reasons whatsoever out of thin air. It sure doesn't sound as though she's actually learned any lessons nor attempted any kind of changes for the better - because the two of them seem to have worked hard to convince  themselves that Miss Degeneres was in no way at fault. And Miss Degeneres seems to have sung Miss de Rossi's praises for being an enabler. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post I don't think Ellen thinks she has done anything wrong.  It comes across as I feel bad because I'm being made to feel bad.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

And Miss Degeneres seems to have sung Miss de Rossi's praises for being an enabler.

I want to be careful here but there have been rumors about Ellen and Portia's relationship and that Ellen's mean streak might not just be relegated to her employees. 

If they're true, I'd be more inclined to see Portia as someone trying to keep the peace more than an enabler. 

• Useful 13
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I want to be careful here but there have been rumors about Ellen and Portia's relationship and that Ellen's mean streak might not just be relegated to her employees. 

If they're true, I'd be more inclined to see Portia as someone trying to keep the peace more than an enabler. 

I remember hearing rumors that Portia wanted to leave Ellen because of her jealous controlling and domineering ways.. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 2/16/2021 at 2:18 AM, LucindaWalsh said:

While I find Michelle to be a bit humorless in general, I think she would have been fun to be around in the store with someone else. Ellen was ridiculously stupid and missed a great chance to let Michelle shine in a candid moments way. Well, she did shine but there was so much more potential "real fun" that could have happened with the interactions with the customers and employees but the whole bit was stymied by Ellen.

I'd suggest watching Becoming, the documentary about Michelle Obama, or listening to her podcast or her appearances on Conan's podcast. She's plenty fun, when she's comfortable with people and not being shamed for baring her arms or doing a "terrorist fist jab."

On 2/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, Mabinogia said:

I think Fallon is what Ellen pretends to be. I've only seen clips of his show when he's interviewing someone I like as I'm not a huge fan of him in general, but every interview I've seen him do is relaxed, casual and fun. I've yet to see a guest of his feel put on the spot, or have to defend themselves. 

Then there's Ellen, who delights in making people uncomfortable, nervous, even afraid. She's a practical joker. I hate practical jokes, personally, so I've never been too fond of her outside of her sitcom, which I did love back in the day. 

Where Fallon seems to want to include his guests in his fun and games which I think helps put them at ease and make them more open to doing what he asks, Ellen seems to want to make her guests the butt of her jokes or the tools for her amusement. It's not enjoyable to me. I won't even watch an interview from her show with someone I love just because I know they won't be at their best. 

I'm not a fan of Fallon at all - I don't think he's funny and he seems to try way too hard - but I can certainly see why people are more carefree and happier to join in with his silly jokes. He's determinedly non-threatening and operating without any kind of agenda. He wants to entertain and to give his guests the opportunity to put themselves over.

A good host should always be prepared to make themselves the butt of the joke (again, Conan O'Brien is fantastic at this), and I feel like Ellen is always ensuring the guest is the butt of the joke while she sits there with a smug smile on her face.

• Love 17
On 2/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, ifionlyknew said:

I've never watched Ali Wong but I do think some female comics think they have to be gross to get attention.

Agreed! I don’t care for really raunchy stuff because a lot just comes across as juvenile, whether from a man or woman. When a woman does it though, it has an added cringe factor for me because it just comes across, to me at least, as “look at me! I’m a woman saying crude things! Isn’t that SO original and outrageous?” I would also add that comedians who joke about what hot messes they are and how they don’t have their life together annoy me. It’s not funny or charming to me. And even at 34 I feel like an old lady asking, “then why don’t you do something about it?”

• Love 13

In the better-late-than-never (and what-took-them-SO-long)categories, Piers Morgan is GONE from his British network morning show!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!

If Her Majesty doesn't want to knight the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for that having happened, I'd like to do so!

Oh, and it should be noted that his vendetta against the Duchess of Sussex as well as her firstborn are literally just the tips of the iceberg and the last straw re that individual's lengthy petty, vindictive and toxic history. 

• Love 18
On 2/19/2021 at 7:00 PM, Danny Franks said:

appearances on Conan's podcast. She's plenty fun, when she's comfortable with people and not being shamed for baring her arms or doing a "terrorist fist jab."

I LOVE when Michelle & Conan get together! Both crack me up & they have such a good chemistry with each other. 

• Love 4

Piers Morgan is a disgusting arrogant nasty vile racist pig.  I am so happy that a man called him out for his abhorrent behavior regarding Megan Markle. I have no problem with him not liking her because nobody in universally liked but he used his job in the media to harass her nonstop just because she chose to not have a friendship with him. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

I'm pretty sure Morgan is orchestrating this so he's in the headlines as much as possible, and so he's free to become a centre piece for the 'news' channel that Rupert Murdoch is about to launch in the UK.

Murdoch and Morgan are a marriage made in the deepest bowels of Hell, spewed forth to sow ruin on humanity.

• Love 9

Re Sharon Osbourne's 'apology' and claiming that she'd been 'bullied' into having earlier supported Piers Morgan, I have four words (which I wish Judge Judy would scream in her hearing): I don't buh-LEEAVE YOU!

Mrs. Osbourne is the one who's been a bully to everyone she's not been married to all these decades- and IMO it's preposterous to think that somehow she could have been bullied by someone a continent, an ocean and 6,000 miles away! What would Mr. Morgan have done had she not been his cheerleader? Quit taking her calls? Put out a mean Tweet against her?

Really, how tough would it have been to just own that she made a terrible blunder and she knows that's it's ALL HER FAULT?!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 17

Creek Stewart. These folks survive being stuck, injured and isolated in the wilderness for X numbers of days yet somehow survive to tale the tales- but ALL Mr. Stewart can do is talk about what equipment they SHOULD have used to have bettered their chances! Gee who PLANS on getting lost, stuck, injured and isolated? 

• LOL 6

Bill Maher recently gave Mrs. Osbourne a sympathetic ear to spin her version of how things ended. Not that I had any liking for him beforehand, but I wonder if there is anyone watching who isn't having a root canal at the time (and only watching in the belief that if they can endure his show, they can endure the latter procedure). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

If it is not too late, I would like to co-sign on the dislike for Piers Morgan. What an overpriviledged, arrogant, hateful being!

It's never too late for that.

• Love 20
On 4/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, RealHousewife said:

Tucker Carlson. How is this hateful, racist, xenophobic, misogynistic trash not canceled already? 

One of the worst humans ever. But apparently great at avoiding consequences. 

2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

If it is not too late, I would like to co-sign on the dislike for Piers Morgan. What an overpriviledged, arrogant, hateful being!

A horrible person, but another who keeps failing upward to better circumstances each time. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

One of the worst humans ever. But apparently great at avoiding consequences. 

A horrible person, but another who keeps failing upward to better circumstances each time. 

I wonder whether those that keep giving them platform genuinely share their opinions, or just look at it from a pure business perspective, knowing that they bring viewers - not just those who like them but also those who don't. I guess it's probably both.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I wonder whether those that keep giving them platform genuinely share their opinions, or just look at it from a pure business perspective, knowing that they bring viewers - not just those who like them but also those who don't. I guess it's probably both.

I have told this story on a different board but it's relevant here as well.  Years ago Keith Olbermann was a guest on Bill Maher's HBO show during his departure from MSNBC and Maher asked him where he would go next and suggested Fox.  Keith said no he had already worked there and didn't like it. He said one of the Fox personalities had told him he was only acting the way he acted because there was more money in being that way.

I think the people who make money from the platforms that give voice to Carlson and Morgan don't care as long as they keep making money.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I have told this story on a different board but it's relevant here as well.  Years ago Keith Olbermann was a guest on Bill Maher's HBO show during his departure from MSNBC and Maher asked him where he would go next and suggested Fox.  Keith said no he had already worked there and didn't like it. He said one of the Fox personalities had told him he was only acting the way he acted because there was more money in being that way.

I think the people who make money from the platforms that give voice to Carlson and Morgan don't care as long as they keep making money.

Of course that never happens on platforms other than Fox, right?

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

A sincere question, how do you know that? 

At the very least, Fox is the outlet bursting with leaked stories about unhappy employees, as well as on-air talent that talk off-air to people who they tell it's all an act. 

I suppose the same could be true of OAN and Newsmax, but they're very young outlets, and with the lower budget and even further out views, there's at least some reason to believe they might be staffed by genuine ideologues rather than people who privately complain they've had to compromise themselves. 

I'm actually also of the opinion that an outlet like MSNBC occasionally urges talent to emphasize certain things as well. Pro-corporate stuff, for sure.  But there aren't widespread rumors about it. It's just common sense that some of that must exist there as well. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 5/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

A sincere question, how do you know that? 

What Kromm said.  Perhaps I should've said "it SEEMS" more egregious on Fox since we hear a lot more about their crap.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

My position is this: All of mainstream media, including Fox, are money-making operations and will sell their souls for profit and power. Anyone who counts on the mainstream media for news is doing him/herself a disservice. Just because they “report” it doesn’t make it true. 

Well, that is why you cross check the story with other outlets to verify.  If only one outlet is reporting on a story, then it is most likely propaganda or outright false.  If the same story appears on multiple outlets, reported the same way, then it is most likely true.  Every media outlet has made mistakes over the years, and I keep track of how many, the severity of the story, and their reaction.  Do they retract the story and offer a sincere apology, do they ignore it, or do they double down?  I know which major network doubles down.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If the same story appears on multiple outlets, reported the same way, then it is most likely true. 

Or they are all reading from the same script.

Recently, what’s been happening is that one outlet will “report” on something, a second outlet will say that they corroborated the story, when in fact they've just “heard” from the same unnamed, anonymous sources (read whoever benefits from planting the story in the first place) and then run with the story as if there had been numerous sources, when in fact, they never really verified the story to begin with. I’ve learned to approach ALL news with a healthy dose of skepticism. 

• Love 6

Nick Jonas - he hasn’t done anything in particular to offend me. I just find him annoying - like he thinks he’s the funniest most charismatic guy in the room.. or on a talk show cast.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Nick Jonas - he hasn’t done anything in particular to offend me. I just find him annoying - like he thinks he’s the funniest most charismatic guy in the room.. or on a talk show cast.

Isn't that more of a Joe thing?  Maybe not. I still occasionally confuse them. 

I know it's not the third brother, who often seems invisible. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Nick definitely has a higher opinion of himself and his talents that is warranted.  I remember when he tried his hand at musical theatre.  He was Marius in the  Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert.  A star-studded cast filled with talent, and Nick Jonas.  Bless his heart, he tried.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Avabelle said:

He did pretty well when he hosted SNL, but of course that is in short increments.  I don't love him, I don't hate him.  Mostly he's just kinda there.

But yeah, Les Miz was way out of his league.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Nick Jonas thinks he's all that because he's married to "hot" Priyanka Chopra (she's just a'ight IMO). 

While I was probably confusing him with Joe, I'm pretty sure whichever one I was thinking of had a tude long before they got married.  I mean isn't Joe married equally as recently to a different "hot" actress?  (Googling). Yup, Sophie Turner.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kromm said:

While I was probably confusing him with Joe, I'm pretty sure whichever one I was thinking of had a tude long before they got married.  I mean isn't Joe married equally as recently to a different "hot" actress?  (Googling). Yup, Sophie Turner.  

But I don't see Joe and Sophie as much as Nick and Priyanka, so I don't think about Joe.   I like that Kevin seems to be out of the spotlight. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck. Can’t stand either of them. And I especially can’t stand the obnoxious 24-7 “Bennifer” updates and hype.

I wouldn't say I can't stand them. I'll save that for the likes of Tucker Carlson and Meghan McCain. But I don't get the huge fuss either, and I'm almost scared to say that because there are so many huge J.Lo fans. It's almost like Beyonce with the Beyhive. I think Jennifer is beautiful, but I don't find her the most likable or talented person. 

• Love 12

Watching the recent Billboard Music Awards performance with both of them, I realized I hate Marshmello far more than the Jonas Brothers.  The gimmick is just plum stupid, and at this point really tired. 

• Love 4

I don’t recall if I posted it here or just thought I had because I was sure I couldn’t stand him, but regardless, I hereby rescind my dislike of Gerard Butler. I don’t think he’s the most brilliant actor in the world but after having watched him in Geostorm and Greenland I’m going to say the guy is all right. (Disclaimer: I know those are crap movies but I am a die hard sucker for disaster movies.) 

• Love 3
(edited)

My mom can’t stand Jane Seymour. It’s because we live in Michigan and know the story of how, while shooting Somewhere in Time on Mackinac Island, she refused to mingle with the islanders when they held all the picnics and social events for the cast and crew. Granted, she has come back to the island for the Somewhere in Time anniversary events in recent years, but my mom still thinks she’s stuck up.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 9
  • Love 2