Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I've largely been fine with Kristen and Dax because I find it pretty easy to avoid them. I don't listen to any of their podcasts. I don't watch their interviews.  I don't follow them on social media.  Any news I get on them is pretty occasional.

The commercials for their new show are changing that.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

However since marrying Dax Shepherd I don't like her. I watch the View and I swear they seem to be guests every month.   They aren't nearly as cute as they think they are.

Also, I can't help feel but  sorry for their minor daughters with all their constant TMI stories they keep putting out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the girls start buying cases of paper bags to wear over their heads to minimize being pestered over said tales. 

• Love 8

I'm sick of all the so-called "celebrity couples," especially when they bring their children into the mix (of course, I don't blame the kids).  I know they think they're "cute" but I find them annoying:

John Legend/Chrissy Teigen   

Kristen Bell/Dax Shepherd

Ashton Kutcher/Mila Kunis 

Ciara/Russell Wilson

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of their names right now.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm sick of all the so-called "celebrity couples," especially when they bring their children into the mix (of course, I don't blame the kids).  I know they think they're "cute" but I find them annoying:

John Legend/Chrissy Teigen   

Kristen Bell/Dax Shepherd

Ashton Kutcher/Mila Kunis 

Ciara/Russell Wilson

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of their names right now.

Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos - these 2 bring TMI to a Mount Everest level. Revolting, self absorbed, bragging, talentless, narcissists.

Edited by juno
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Craig Ferguson? He seems like a good person. But the only time he made me laugh was when he played Prince Charles in a skit. I'm smiling now, just thinking about those hilarious skits.

I feel this.  I went to a taping of his show when I was in LA, I had no idea who he was but didn’t find him funny.  I have nothing against him otherwise.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Craig Ferguson? He seems like a good person. But the only time he made me laugh was when he played Prince Charles in a skit. I'm smiling now, just thinking about those hilarious skits.

I recall him   making a joke  about how Tom Cruise and Katie Holme's  child Suri was supposedly conceived. 

I couldn't care less about someone taking potshots at Mr. Cruise but I thought it was wrong for him to denigrate a baby this way- especially  over something the baby had had no control whatsoever about (and one day may see a tape about said 'joke').

• Useful 1
On 8/9/2021 at 1:09 PM, proserpina65 said:

I really wish Kristen Bell & Dax Shepherd would go the hell away and stay away.

It’s funny, I watched The Good Place and really enjoyed Kristen when she played a rotten person. Then, one episode in the final season, I just couldn’t stand her, she was trying so hard to be adorable. Now they both bug me, always in entertainment news, always on TV somehow, I am just so annoyed by them.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, cpcathy said:

It’s funny, I watched The Good Place and really enjoyed Kristen when she played a rotten person. Then, one episode in the final season, I just couldn’t stand her, she was trying so hard to be adorable. Now they both bug me, always in entertainment news, always on TV somehow, I am just so annoyed by them.

I loved Veronica Mars.  Had less to do with her than the show itself and all the supporting characters.   I liked the Good Place but wasn't crazy about her.  I find her so so in movies.  Like I don't dislike a movie because she is in it but I usually find her characters as eh whatever.  But when I see her on talk shows she is almost always with her husband and it's like nails on a chalkboard.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I loved Veronica Mars.  Had less to do with her than the show itself and all the supporting characters.   I liked the Good Place but wasn't crazy about her.  I find her so so in movies.  Like I don't dislike a movie because she is in it but I usually find her characters as eh whatever.  But when I see her on talk shows she is almost always with her husband and it's like nails on a chalkboard.

For me, it's those stupid La-Z-Boy commercials.  And the stupid Samsung kitchen appliance commercials awhile back.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, it's those stupid La-Z-Boy commercials.  And the stupid Samsung kitchen appliance commercials awhile back.

She was in multiple commercials running at the same time for different items which made me roll my eyes anytime one of them would come on. Brooke Shields was in the same position a few years ago and I rolled my eyes at her commercials too. Kristen started appearing in those La-Z-Boy commercials after Brooke. 

As others have mentioned I didn't mind Kristen that much outside of finding her mildly annoying at times until she and her husband became so overexposed these past few years. Then there's the oversharing about their kids and personal lives to the point where most people probably wish they'd stfu for awhile. I've never watched Veronica Mars all the way through even after starting to watch on a streaming service I had a few years ago. When the show aired originally I didn't get to see episodes until the third season when it was on The CW due to having not had a UPN affiliate in my area. There was a channel that would air UPN shows late at night but it would be hard to remember to watch when they'd air.

I didn't really know who Dax Shepard was until he became the character I would have voted off of the show Parenthood if that option had become available. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This might be because I know so many talented actors who'd kill to be as lucky-Halle Berry. "Can't stand" is harsh because I don't think she's a bad person. I simply find her annoying. 

Maybe it's the interviews I happened to see of hers and possible she's changed, but I remember she was very woe is me in all of them. I'm not saying she can't talk about her problems. It would just be nice to acknowledge her life doesn't totally suck when she's worth around $90 million. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

This might be because I know so many talented actors who'd kill to be as lucky-Halle Berry. "Can't stand" is harsh because I don't think she's a bad person. I simply find her annoying. 

Maybe it's the interviews I happened to see of hers and possible she's changed, but I remember she was very woe is me in all of them. I'm not saying she can't talk about her problems. It would just be nice to acknowledge her life doesn't totally suck when she's worth around $90 million. 

While monies can't buy happiness, one would hope that being the parent of two healthy children would bring joy to her life!  Of course, I haven't seen any recent interviews with her so maybe it has by this point.

• Love 4

I follow Halle on social media and it feels like she's mellowed and has gotten centered.  She's actually really funny, self deprecating and very zen.  She talks literature (she's really into black women writers) and she's been doing a Friday fitness series for several years. She's in incredible shape. She's also into MMA and wrestling.

I think she put too much stake in needing a man to validate her early on and that creeped into a lot of what she put out in the world.  But she seems to have settled into herself. 

Also her episode of Hot Ones is rather legendary amongst that crowd.  She ate all the wings, to the bone, no milk, no water.  Also the interview (and the interviewer) was excellent.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 8
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also her episode of Hot Ones is rather legendary amongst that crowd.  She ate all the wings, to the bone, no milk, no water.  Also the interview (and the interviewer) was excellent.

Yes, she was an absolute marvel with those wings!  I've seen many of her acting roles, but that was the first interview of her I'd watched. 

As an aside, that somewhat strange concept for a show has yielded a number of terrific interviews, even aside from the hilarious reactions to the hottest wings.  The Padma Lakshmi and Wanda Sykes installments are two other good ones.  (I mean, on the one hand, of course, because they're cool women, but the host really does a good job with the conversation.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As an aside, that somewhat strange concept for a show has yielded a number of terrific interviews, even aside from the hilarious reactions to the hottest wings.  The Padma Lakshmi and Wanda Sykes installments are two other good ones.  (I mean, on the one hand, of course, because they're cool women, but the host really does a good job with the conversation.)

Exactly. Not to get too far off subject but that show is so interesting because of the host/interviewer.  He does his homework, he asks fun and often insightful questions that are specific to whatever subject they are on and he delves into the actors entire history and covers a breadth of subjects.  For instance with Halle's episode it touched on dog training, the use of her name in so many rap songs (I think some site had 'Halle Berry' shout outs in in over 400 different rap songs), pageant life... so many things.  And all this while the celebrity is eating hotter and hotter and hotter wings and they are sweating, and gasping and wheezing.  LOL.

Also agreed on Wanda Sykes and especially Padma Lakshmi.

Also since I am petty like that, I enjoy it when a star I am not a particular fan of can't handle the sauces without milk/water (Tyra Banks, ScarJo).

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I know these articles are just to promote their podcast where they talk about how  great their family is, but they still irritate me and I find willow Smith pretty damn arrogant and pretentious 

One I find it hard to believe this story that professional hair stylists don't know how to work on hair for African Americans.  

https://news.yahoo.com/willow-smith-says-she-had-160000383.html

Second I don't care to be lectured to by a 20 year old with little relationship experience who has grown up in an elitist Hollywood bubble about marriage. 

https://www.insider.com/willow-smith-polyamorous-red-table-talk-marriage-comments-video-2021-4

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Professional stylists often have no training with Black hair and the Black performer is often left to do their own hair

Many years ago I graduated from cosmetology school and we were given like one day of what was called ethnic hair study.  I have no problem believing most stylists are not trained in how to style African American's hair.

• Love 19

FWIW, Willow Smith 'advising' about love and relationships makes as much sense as when Cosby Show alum Tempestt Bledsoe had her own talk show right after her main claim to had ended and attempted to lecture the guests to do the same.  Both reminded me of preteens  standing on chairs during Sunday dinner attempting to tell everyone else in the family how to live their lives- completely oblivious to all the adult family members' mounting annoyance with them. 

Yes, I know one should consider the contributing factors of who raised Miss Smith and how but she's going to be 21 years old next month so she needs to evaluated like any other adult who chooses to make a platform for themselves when no one had asked them to do so. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

FWIW, Willow Smith 'advising' about love and relationships makes as much sense as when Cosby Show alum Tempestt Bledsoe had her own talk show right after her main claim to had ended and attempted to lecture the guests to do the same.  Both reminded me of preteens  standing on chairs during Sunday dinner attempting to tell everyone else in the family how to live their lives- completely oblivious to all the adult family members' mounting annoyance with them. 

Yes, I know one should consider the contributing factors of who raised Miss Smith and how but she's going to be 21 years old next month so she needs to evaluated like any other adult who chooses to make a platform for themselves when no one had asked them to do so. 

I almost feel sorry for famous kids and kids of famous parents.  If we're honest with ourselves, we all thought we knew better than the older generations when we were that age.  Our saving grace was that nobody cared what we said.  

Actually, (now I'll have to be the old fogy), I also just kind of feel bad for kids who grow up in the social media age because again, we said something stupid it was done and over with and maybe 10 people noticed.  Now, a 15 year old thinks they have to post every thought on Twitter and it's out there for the world to see and, more importantly, dig up 10 years later when job opportunities will be lost out on.  

• Love 13
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

A quick google search on the subject and you will find testimony after testimony after testimony from so many black actors -- male and female -- about this very subject going back years.  It was one reason Shalita Grant left NCIS:NOLA.

Damn, is that why we got stuck Vanessa Ferlito?  I mean, this sucks in its own right, but Shalita Grant was great and the show really lost a lot when she left.

It is ridiculous that the issue exists.  You'd think producers would want their entire cast to look appropriately styled for whatever the project might be.  It get that it takes extra training, but how does it possibly benefit a project to have some of the cast's hair look bad?

• Love 7
17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Second I don't care to be lectured to by a 20 year old with little relationship experience who has grown up in an elitist Hollywood bubble about marriage. 

What? You mean you didn't get something meaningful out of her incredibly insightful view that she would only consider getting married if "There [is] a purpose beyond, 'I think you're cute.'" You clearly have a lot to learn from this barely-out-of-her-teens expert who has studied polyamory "for a really long time."

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know these articles are just to promote their podcast where they talk about how  great their family is, but they still irritate me and I find willow Smith pretty damn arrogant and pretentious 

One I find it hard to believe this story that professional hair stylists don't know how to work on hair for African Americans.  

https://news.yahoo.com/willow-smith-says-she-had-160000383.html

Many decades ago I was a licensed hairdresser. While I was in school we never had any kind of instruction on AA hair. It is very different than Caucasian hair.

• Love 11
On 9/6/2021 at 8:06 AM, Blergh said:

While monies can't buy happiness, one would hope that being the parent of two healthy children would bring joy to her life!  Of course, I haven't seen any recent interviews with her so maybe it has by this point.

There was another one last week she said she thinks her struggles are overlooked because of her beauty. I'm curious if she's referring to casting or people in her personal life. I don't know anyone who thinks rich or beautiful people are exempt from abuse or pain. I don't think anyone makes it through life unscathed. I also think love can be trickier for attractive people, but the vast majority of us do not get a fraction of all the breaks Halle's had. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Nicole Byer.  I don't know her from anything else besides Nailed It, so I don't know if she's different on other shows, but I got through a few minutes of the first episode and I couldn't stand it, so I turned it off  Then, last week, I went in for my allergy shot. Since we are required to wait a half hour before leaving, they will throw on certain reality competitions.  I sat down just as Nailed It was starting, so I got to see the most of it.  Nicole, seemingly out of the blue-I could have missed something- started in on this contestant about his brother, what's he like?, what's he look like?, think he would date me?  "I just want to be part of your family!", she whined at one point.  You could tell that the poor guy was really uncomfortable with the conversation, but she Just. Wouldn't. Let. Up.  I felt so bad for him and disgusted because I can't imagine that going over well if it were a male host talking to a female contestant about her sister.  It was obnoxious.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I hate to admit it since I laughed myself sick more than once over earlier episodes of Nailed It! but I agree with you. It seems like she has been steadily ramping up the in-your-face cringe factor over the past few years and it's starting to take on a character of its own.

But it works for her, and I'm glad she was nominated for an Emmy. It has to be hard work building and maintaining a successful, distinctive brand like hers. I appreciate the work even if I can do without the work product.

• Useful 1
44 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Nicole Byer.  I don't know her from anything else besides Nailed It, so I don't know if she's different on other shows, but I got through a few minutes of the first episode and I couldn't stand it, so I turned it off  Then, last week, I went in for my allergy shot. Since we are required to wait a half hour before leaving, they will throw on certain reality competitions.  I sat down just as Nailed It was starting, so I got to see the most of it.  Nicole, seemingly out of the blue-I could have missed something- started in on this contestant about his brother, what's he like?, what's he look like?, think he would date me?  "I just want to be part of your family!", she whined at one point.  You could tell that the poor guy was really uncomfortable with the conversation, but she Just. Wouldn't. Let. Up.  I felt so bad for him and disgusted because I can't imagine that going over well if it were a male host talking to a female contestant about her sister.  It was obnoxious.

The reason I don't like Nicole Byer much is that she pretends to be stupid when she isn't. Her comedy schtick revolves around this sort of pig-ignorant, 'I don't read books. I don't know what anyone's talking about if it's not trashy, celeb culture stuff!' persona that she seems to use because she thinks it's cool, and I absolutely hate it.

She did a podcast with another comedian where they watched all the Star Wars movies, and she just resolutely kept up this act of not being able remember names and characters and all this silly, geeky scifi stuff. You know, 'why would she remember Han Solo or C3PO? They're just lame, geek stuff.' She was even worse when they moved on to the Lord of the Rings movies where she could not hide her contempt for the entire franchise.

The 'I'm really horny and can't get laid' act is also a pretty regular feature that isn't funny.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Katie Couric- thanks to her autobio, she's gone from merely being a vapid, cutsey-poo to showing herself to be a hateful, backbiting creep who consistently sides with known abusers and blames victims for criminal actions happening to them. 

Yes, I knew she was totally over her head during her attempt to anchor the CBS Evening News but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was, at least, a vaguely likable person despite not having what it took for the job (and why didn't they have Christiane Amanpour do it?). Before this autobio, I never imagined she actually has been such a rotten-egg person beneath her cutesy shell from Day One. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Katie Couric- thanks to her autobio, she's gone from merely being a vapid, cutsey-poo to showing herself to be a hateful, backbiting creep who consistently sides with known abusers and blames victims for criminal actions happening to them. 

Yes, I knew she was totally over her head during her attempt to anchor the CBS Evening News but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was, at least, a vaguely likable person despite not having what it took for the job (and why didn't they have Christiane Amanpour do it?). Before this autobio, I never imagined she actually has been such a rotten-egg person beneath her cutesy shell from Day One. 

I'm thinking of getting her memoir from the library, and then ripping it to shreds on my blog.

Katie reminds me of an ex-boss of mine, a total gaslighter. On the surface, she was so calm and collected, but an actual nightmare to work with. Katie's perky act is just a disguise. She is loathsome.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yes, I knew she was totally over her head during her attempt to anchor the CBS Evening News but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was, at least, a vaguely likable person despite not having what it took for the job

She was awful at that job and if you said that you were accused of being sexist.   I have seen plenty of other women who anchored the nightly news even if it was them filling in and they did a great job.   And then after she failed being a nightly news anchor someone thought it was a good idea to give her a daily talk show and then that failed.  At some point you have to think maybe Katie is the problem.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Before this autobio, I never imagined she actually has been such a rotten-egg person beneath her cutesy shell from Day One. 

I've known she was a piece of shit at least since April 16, 2007, when she was a complete asshole to people at Virginia Tech in the immediate aftermath of the shooting there. 

I got an inkling of who she is way before that (sometime in the 90s), on my first trip to NYC, and we went to the Today Show -- she wasn't pleasant when the camera wasn't on her when they'd all go outside to chat with the audience.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've known she was a piece of shit at least since April 16, 2007, when she was a complete asshole to people at Virginia Tech in the immediate aftermath of the shooting there. 

I got an inkling of who she is way before that (sometime in the 90s), on my first trip to NYC, and we went to the Today Show -- she wasn't pleasant when the camera wasn't on her when they'd all go outside to chat with the audience.

What did she say or do exactly?

• Useful 1
Just now, Bookish Jen said:

What did she say or do exactly?

I am sorry to say that I don't remember exactly, but she was generally disrespectful and prima dona-ish to several people (one of whom felt motivated to call her a bitch to her face), most of whom knew someone who was injured or killed that day.  All, and I do mean ALL of the other journalists who came to cover the story were so nice to the behind the scenes people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am sorry to say that I don't remember exactly, but she was generally disrespectful and prima dona-ish to several people (one of whom felt motivated to call her a bitch to her face), most of whom knew someone who was injured or killed that day.  All, and I do mean ALL of the other journalists who came to cover the story were so nice to the behind the scenes people.

A mass shooting and she's acting like this? How unprofessional.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I'm thinking of getting her memoir from the library, and then ripping it to shreds on my blog.

Katie reminds me of an ex-boss of mine, a total gaslighter. On the surface, she was so calm and collected, but an actual nightmare to work with. Katie's perky act is just a disguise. She is loathsome.

One   . ..footnote to the autobio is that she's pictured holding up her right bare foot which is apt because it seems as though Miss Couric has managed to simultaneously put her foot in her mouth while starting on the wrong foot re this autobio.

One has to wonder did she show this to ANYone (e.g. her grown daughters, husband, relatives, manager, etc. ) before she decided to have it published and ,if so, did any of the above attempt to advise her to either pull the plug on it, or, at the very least, erase self-incriminating passages? Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out she went ahead against others' pleas. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

One has to wonder did she show this to ANYone (e.g. her grown daughters, husband, relatives, manager, etc. ) before she decided to have it published and ,if so, did any of the above attempt to advise her to either pull the plug on it, or, at the very least, erase self-incriminating passages? Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out she went ahead against others' pleas. 

I don't think Katie ever sees herself the way other people see her.  I seem to remember a story about her early years in the news business when a producer gave her some constructive criticism which she ignored and when she became famous she said something like and that is why I am successful. Implying that whatever that producer told her to do was wrong.  I'm inclined to believe she became successful in spite of her arrogant know it all attitude and not because of her arrogant know it all attitude. 

One of the most galling things in her book is she sees herself as some sort of trailblazing feminist when in reality she admittedly tried (and sometimes succeeded) to keep other women from succeeding and is an apologist for men accused of all kinds of sexual improprieties.  

She has always been someone who enjoyed being part of the glitzy side of being a celebrity. Going to fancy functions and being invited to rich people parties.  So my sincere hope is she is blacklisted from all of that. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, Blergh said:

One   . ..footnote to the autobio is that she's pictured holding up her right bare foot which is apt because it seems as though Miss Couric has managed to simultaneously put her foot in her mouth while starting on the wrong foot re this autobio.

I've been wondering the whole time about her editor. It's part of an editor's job to be an advocate for the reader and point out how things will be perceived that the author is blind to. I'm on phone and don't have the time to look, but I'm assuming this book came from a major publisher. I used to work for a very small local publisher, and working on a book meant we had several people looking at and working on a book as it progressed through the process. I suspect at least someone had to have said something, and it was shot down. Or they were so greedy, they didn't care because they assumed it would make money. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm on phone and don't have the time to look, but I'm assuming this book came from a major publisher.

Little Brown and Company is the publisher.

This is a quote from Tina Brown

"Fast-paced and riveting, Going There is an intimate memoir that chronicles the once magical world of TV news.  Every young woman should read this book to understand what ambition really feels like and the work it takes to fulfill it."―Tina Brown

So I guess we are just supposed to handwave Katie's horrible behavior as just ambition?

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Little Brown and Company is the publisher.

This is a quote from Tina Brown

"Fast-paced and riveting, Going There is an intimate memoir that chronicles the once magical world of TV news.  Every young woman should read this book to understand what ambition really feels like and the work it takes to fulfill it."―Tina Brown

So I guess we are just supposed to handwave Katie's horrible behavior as just ambition?

Wow what a fascinatingly tone deaf endorsement. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I've been wondering the whole time about her editor. It's part of an editor's job to be an advocate for the reader and point out how things will be perceived that the author is blind to. I'm on phone and don't have the time to look, but I'm assuming this book came from a major publisher. I used to work for a very small local publisher, and working on a book meant we had several people looking at and working on a book as it progressed through the process. I suspect at least someone had to have said something, and it was shot down. Or they were so greedy, they didn't care because they assumed it would make money. 

Some people don't want to be edited. I read somewhere that Dr. Laura is like that, not surprising.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

Some people don't want to be edited. I read somewhere that Dr. Laura is like that, not surprising.

Definitely. And I think the bigger name you are, the more clout you have to push back on editing feedback. 

• Love 6

Cynthia Erivo.

For the life of me I cannot give a concrete reason why.  She hasn't -- to my knowledge -- done or said anything egregious.  But there is just something about her I dislike.  She has smug face in her pictures.  And I hate her eyebrows.  LOL.  I dunno.  Rather irrational but there you go....

• Love 7