Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, danderson400 said:

I'll admit, the one game show personalty i could not stand, when i was younger, was Patrick Wayne on Tic Tac Dough(1990 version). He did suck big time, simply because of his constant yelling of "YOU'RE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!", "YOU BLOOOOOOOOOOCK!" and, most humiliatingly, "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!" But in recent times, i've softened my stance on him, simply in watching those eps, he wasn't as bad as i thought!

I never realized he did game shows. I remember him in his dad's movies, and he never made much of an impression on me in them one way or the other. But I do have a soft spot for him because of Rustler's Rhapsody. I love that movie. 

• LOL 4
On 4/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, danderson400 said:

I'll admit, the one game show personalty i could not stand, when i was younger, was Patrick Wayne on Tic Tac Dough(1990 version). He did suck big time, simply because of his constant yelling of "YOU'RE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!", "YOU BLOOOOOOOOOOCK!" and, most humiliatingly, "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!" But in recent times, i've softened my stance on him, simply in watching those eps, he wasn't as bad as i thought!

I think you're absolutely right-- that pales to everything else that went wrong (rappin' Dragon in the bonus game, pots that started over with ties despite increase of question value, the fact that sometimes the bonus game could be impossible to win without the Dragonslayer, etc.).

(edited)

Will Arnett is a terrible host on Lego Masters.

He’s cringeworthy, hammy, stiff, and makes lame ‘jokes’.  I didn’t really know him, outside of the a LEGO Movies, so I don’t know if he can actually act, but it doesn’t seem like it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

He’s cringeworthy, hammy, stiff, and makes lame ‘jokes’.  I didn’t really know him, outside of the a LEGO Movies, so I don’t know if he can actually act, but it doesn’t seem like it.

I really liked him in Arrested Development, but hate his shtick in Lego Masters.  I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else, so I don't know more about his acting than that.  In Lego Masters, during those rare, brief moments when he's being himself, he seems like a nice guy, but I don't know that for sure either, since I don't follow much celebrity gossip.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it's the shtick too.  It's annoying.  Not sure if it's his choice or a producer/director.  Contrast with Nick and Amy (who is Will Arnett's ex) who are quite charming on Making It.  I think it's mostly because they are being themselves.  I think Arnett just needs to tone it down.  I did like both Nicole Byer and Terry Crews hamming it up on Lego Masters but they were only there for a brief stint.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:42 PM, roamyn said:

I have not seen him as host but hosting seems to be a whole different animal than acting.  Its a tough gig to pull off, making it look natural and effortless.  Go back and watch Vanna trying to host for a few weeks back when Pat Sajak was out for Wheel.  It was AWFUL.  Not her fault, God bless her, she did her best and she didn't really have a choice I don't think, they kind of threw the idea on her and probably didn't give her much choice.  But wow she was hard to watch.  And she has been doing that show as the letter turn for 35+ years watching Pat, not like she has no idea what he does and how things go

I love will Arnett on Arrested Development, Jack's nemesis on 30 Rock in a recurring role and if you count it, the voice of Bojack Horseman.  Plus of course he did the Lego movie.  But that doesn't mean he can host. 

Daniel Tosh as well.  I love his comedy.  On his Tosh.0 show though, I can't watch. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have not seen him as host but hosting seems to be a whole different animal than acting.  Its a tough gig to pull off, making it look natural and effortless.  Go back and watch Vanna trying to host for a few weeks back when Pat Sajak was out for Wheel.  It was AWFUL.  Not her fault, God bless her, she did her best and she didn't really have a choice I don't think, they kind of threw the idea on her and probably didn't give her much choice.  But wow she was hard to watch.  And she has been doing that show as the letter turn for 35+ years watching Pat, not like she has no idea what he does and how things go

I love will Arnett on Arrested Development, Jack's nemesis on 30 Rock in a recurring role and if you count it, the voice of Bojack Horseman.  Plus of course he did the Lego movie.  But that doesn't mean he can host. 

Daniel Tosh as well.  I love his comedy.  On his Tosh.0 show though, I can't watch. 

Poor Vanna was so bad trying to host on Wheel, and I don't blame her for it, but I had so much secondhand embarrassment watching her try to slog through it. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have not seen him as host but hosting seems to be a whole different animal than acting.  Its a tough gig to pull off, making it look natural and effortless. 

I only watched the first show & about 15 minutes of the 2nd, but he seemed to be depending on the fact that he played Batman in the Lego movie which was really annoying. But on the other hand, I'm guessing it's the only reason he got the job.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If you watch Wink Martindale during his run on Tic Tac Dough, or Jack Barry during his run on The Joker's Wild, you'll see how a show *should* be hosted. Same thing with Jim Perry on Sale of The Century.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Dr. Oz & "Dr."Phil. Both are egotistical, soulless frauds. Phil isn't even a doctor & all he does is exploit people with mental issues for profit. I find it scary that Dr. Oz is a real doctor because he is dangerous & has basically used the hippocratic oath as TP for his ass. I don't believe that his statements on opening up schools was by accident or that it was misconstrued. They are both evil men. I hope that Oz's show gets canned. Also these two are part of the reason I'm not a fan of Oprah Winfrey. Instead of giving shows to people who can actually offer something she gave shows to a quack & a doctor who uses his show to sell snake oil. 

The latest bit of wisdom from Oz infuriates me.  I hope his show is cancelled because of his callous remark.

• Love 22

Not to metion that Sale of The Century was at it's best during the shopping endgame. While it might be a bit boring because since it's so much of Jay Stewart reading ad copy, it was much better than the Winners Big Money Game that they used from late 87 to 89. The Winners Board was pretty good mtoo.

Edited by danderson400
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:13 AM, danderson400 said:

If you watch Wink Martindale during his run on Tic Tac Dough, or Jack Barry during his run on The Joker's Wild, you'll see how a show *should* be hosted. Same thing with Jim Perry on Sale of The Century.

The 70s and 80s, what was the Golden Age of the game show hosts.

Pick any of them.  Wink Martindale.  Jack Barry.  Bob Eubanks on The Newlywed Game.  Richard Dawswon on Family Feud.  Peter Tomarken on Press your Luck.  Of course Bob Barker.  Gene Rayburn on Match Game. 

They were all great.  Only Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek I think can compare to them in terms of today's hosts and they are hold overs from the old days, shows are just still on after all these years. 

• Love 12

I grew up in the last, dying days of game shows- especially in the era where you could watch "Sale of the Century" on NBC at 10am, then switch to CBS and watch "The Price is Right" at 11am. Oh, i watched "Classic Concentration" before Price then.

• Love 6

Was “Concentration” the one where parts of a background picture (I think the pictures were Pictionary-like) were exposed and the contestants had to guess what it was?  I loved that show when I was a kid.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Was “Concentration” the one where parts of a background picture (I think the pictures were Pictionary-like) were exposed and the contestants had to guess what it was?  I loved that show when I was a kid.

Yes.  Rebus puzzles.

• Love 3
On 4/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, Ohwell said:

I never liked Garbrielle Union.  She always struck me as flaky and kinda bitchy.

I used to think that, too. But I read (or listened to) her memoir "We're Going To Need More Wine." She was vulnerable and transparent, and she freely admitted the times in the past she had been mean and bitchy.  So it seems she's matured. But I'm sure she still has those tendencies. Dwayne Wade and the kids probably know not to get on her bad side. 

I've never heard whether or not she's difficult to work with. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, topanga said:

I used to think that, too. But I read (or listened to) her memoir "We're Going To Need More Wine." She was vulnerable and transparent, and she freely admitted the times in the past she had been mean and bitchy.  So it seems she's matured. But I'm sure she still has those tendencies. Dwayne Wade and the kids probably know not to get on her bad side. 

I've never heard whether or not she's difficult to work with. 

That's interesting.  I've never read her memoir but I watched her on Being Mary Jane and I began to think she was like that in real life.  Flaky and difficult to deal with.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That's interesting.  I've never read her memoir but I watched her on Being Mary Jane and I began to think she was like that in real life.  Flaky and difficult to deal with.  

Ah, Mary Jane drove me crazy. She made so many bad decisions over and over. But I miss that show.

I just don't find Tim Allen funny. I did like Home Improvement, but his current show is meh. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, topanga said:

Ah, Mary Jane drove me crazy. She made so many bad decisions over and over. But I miss that show.

I just don't find Tim Allen funny. I did like Home Improvement, but his current show is meh. 

I liked Home Improvement and tried to watch his new show because of him and also I really like Nancy Travis and Hector Elizondo. But didn't like the show at all.

• Love 3

I used to love Sophia Bush since back in the One Tree Hill days but now I find her kind of obnoxious. I feel like she’s forever looking for a fight or something i can’t quite put my finger on it..

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

There are lots of positive things about him, even if he comes off as brash and loud on television. He's a genuinely good person.

Can we say that he’s a great person but can still be an asshole?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Can we say that he’s a great person but can still be an asshole?

Anyone can be an asshole at times. In fact, everyone probably is. But it seems like Fieri's worst crimes are talking with his mouth full and having terrible fashion sense.

• Love 13
(edited)
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

You could always say this about him: 

Guy Fieri has helped raise more than $20million for out of work restaurant staff

Or this:

Guy Fieri feeds first responders in California wildfires

Or, going back a bit further, this:

Guy Fieri officiates at 101 gay weddings in Florida

There are lots of positive things about him, even if he comes off as brash and loud on television. He's a genuinely good person.

Just as some folks are better left at a distance because they're bad news, IMO Mr. Fieri is someone I'm willing to keep admiring the good deeds from VERY far away as he has all the appeal of nails on chalkboard in a clogged drain! 

Looking for the eleven foot pole. .  .

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Fieri is someone I'm willing to keep admiring the good deeds from VERY far away as he has all the appeal of nails on chalkboard in a clogged drain! 

Well put. I don't think he's a horrible human being, I just can't stand him, can't stand looking at his cartoonish appearance or listening to his constant yelling. He comes across as one of those "look at me, pay attention to me" personalities that I, as an introvert, find exhausting.

I just don't like the man but I am glad he is doing some positive things with his fame. Much like I can't stand Oprah but I admire her accomplishments. Good people can be just as annoying as bad people. haha 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That's interesting, since he was reported by two DD&D producers to be homophobic.  It got me curious enough to do a cursory search, and I found this AfterEllen article at the time of the group wedding. 

If it looks like a dudebro and talks like a dudebro, it's usually a dudebro.  But, hopefully he did change (or wasn't like that to begin with) rather than this being a PR move, especially since his own late sister was gay and he has a nephew via her.  It would be nice if his worst offenses were being unbearably annoying and a daily fashion crime. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

You could always say this about him: 

Guy Fieri has helped raise more than $20million for out of work restaurant staff

Or this:

Guy Fieri feeds first responders in California wildfires

Or, going back a bit further, this:

At the end of day I personally vet/judge people based on their actions vs. their words because actions are where the real person is actually on display. Not to say - if your mouth interferes with who you are or is inconsistent with your actions, you may be in need of serious introspection.

I’ll take a jerk saying all kinds of crap who still, by his/her actions and pocketbook, actually DOES positive things for others any day over some blow hard who says beautiful, flowery, wonderful things who does next to nothing to actually help those in need via their personal actions or pocketbooks.

I don’t watch cooking shows and know only a little bit about Guy Fieri (except that I’m not a huge fan).

When you are hungry and have to go for the first time to a food bank so you can feed your family you are just grateful for the person that helped you in your time of need. You don’t turn food away because someone you dislike personally or with whom you have political differences on certain issues donated the food. The fact of the matter is the person donated this from their own heart not knowing who would be on the receiving end, To me, this is what is wonderful about the human spirit.

• Love 14
(edited)

Got that annoying beats toxic any day but I try to avoid both if at all possible- and that includes Mr. Fieri being in the former category! 

So, yes, I'm thankful that I have zero need for him to feed or perform a gay wedding for me!  

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, Annber03 said:

I have read the War for Late Night book about the Conan/Jay debacle, and it was an utterly fascinating look into how crazy and just plain stupid that whole thing got. 

That is indeed a fascinating and entertaining book. You're also right about how stupid the entire situation became - and I put the onus on that squarely on Jeff Zucker.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2020 at 10:16 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Amy Schumer. I just recently saw her cooking show with her autistic chef husband and she was just so......ugghh. I don't get it. There is something about her I can't stand.

Her Comedy Central show was pretty funny, and I’d like to watch a show about someone genuinely learning how to cook, so I watched a few minutes. So annoying. Amy wouldn’t shut up, so I tuned out. My husband simply said she’s trying to get her husband a job. Ouch.

• Love 1

Amy schumer is a person who has made a turn for the worse over the years. 

I started following her way back in her Last Comic Standing days and really thought she was funny.  I liked her stand up early on.  Over the years though she has morphed into some type of Hollywood attention seeking online persona that I just don't like. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Amy schumer is a person who has made a turn for the worse over the years. 

I started following her way back in her Last Comic Standing days and really thought she was funny.  I liked her stand up early on.  Over the years though she has morphed into some type of Hollywood attention seeking online persona that I just don't like. 

IMO, Miss Schumer is somewhat like a latter day Barbra Streisand. IOW, she has some talent but not nearly as much as she wants the public to THINK she has (or for that matter is anywhere as deep as she wants others to believe).

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't stand Cate Blanchett. I don't think she is a brilliant actress and I find her to be  boring. Also her love for Roman Polanski & Woody Allen is disgusting and hypocritical. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 9
On 5/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

I can't stand Cate Blanchett. I don't think she is a brilliant actress and I find her to be  boring.  

I'll never forget when she was on Oprah's show promoting LOTR.  Oprah was having a tough time getting Cate to open up the whole time so she had to go to last resort questions, one of which was "what would be your perfect meal?"  Cate's answer?  White rice.  Seriously.

• LOL 6
59 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'll never forget when she was on Oprah's show promoting LOTR.  Oprah was having a tough time getting Cate to open up the whole time so she had to go to last resort questions, one of which was "what would be your perfect meal?"  Cate's answer?  White rice.  Seriously.

That made me laugh.  I can see Cate acting this way because she was forced to do PR for the movie and could not hide her dislike for Oprah.  I get not wanting to go on Oprah especially during that time period.  The show was a joke at that point, and the audience was next level annoying.  

That response reads to me like Marshawn Lynch's glorious "I'm just here so I don't get fined" during a mandatory post-game press conference.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

Joey Fatone -- am I the only one who dislikes him?  I've been watching GSN from time to time checking out the new quiz shows.  Well, new to me.   On Common Knowledge Fatone comes across as a game show host wannabe.  From the way he enters the stage, to the sometimes clashing tie/handkerchief, to the way he reads the questions and answers.  It's all wrong and to me it's cringeworthy. 

• Love 3

Cardi B. What is so fascinating about her? Okay, she had that duet song with Bruno Mars, but I don't think she has a great voice. Above all, she seems to be another Lil' Kim wannabe and her reputation is based on her character. This is not new and now she does those Instagram posts of what she wears, etc. Heck, I didn't think she was talented in Hustlers. Anybody could have played her part better than her. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

Cardi B. What is so fascinating about her? Okay, she had that duet song with Bruno Mars, but I don't think she has a great voice. Above all, she seems to be another Lil' Kim wannabe and her reputation is based on her character. This is not new and now she does those Instagram posts of what she wears, etc. Heck, I didn't think she was talented in Hustlers. Anybody could have played her part better than her. 

I don't know much about Cardi B., but she was in some Pepsi commercials last winter, and I found her mannerisms to be quite unnerving.  She looked animatronic.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

Cardi B.'s speaking voice is beyond nails-on-a-chalkboard to me.

She would make me confess to a murder I didn't commit, just to shut her up. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I don't know if it's a matter of not liking her or just finding her strange, but there's something about JoJo Siwah that's just strange. I was exposed to her via my niece who is a huge fan and I thought she was maybe 11 or 12, but I recently read an article about her candy themed bedroom and discovered she's almost 18! Is it all an act? I mean she's almost an adult but she seems emotionally stunted if that's her actual personality. And if it isn't, what is she going to do when the kids grow up? I can't imagine her easily transitioning into any kind of mature career after such strong branding as a borderline clown. 

• Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I don't know if it's a matter of not liking her or just finding her strange, but there's something about JoJo Siwah that's just strange. I was exposed to her via my niece who is a huge fan and I thought she was maybe 11 or 12, but I recently read an article about her candy themed bedroom and discovered she's almost 18! Is it all an act? I mean she's almost an adult but she seems emotionally stunted if that's her actual personality. And if it isn't, what is she going to do when the kids grow up? I can't imagine her easily transitioning into any kind of mature career after such strong branding as a borderline clown. 

You pretty much said what's so strange about her. She just turned 17, but she plays to 5 year olds. This is a photo of her & some of the guests at her 16th birthday party

bc765a0768cf8b004be1350957ddd273.jpg

All little kids, it's just creepy.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, GaT said:

You pretty much said what's so strange about her. She just turned 17, but she plays to 5 year olds. This is a photo of her & some of the guests at her 16th birthday party

bc765a0768cf8b004be1350957ddd273.jpg

All little kids, it's just creepy.

And just imagine the outcry if this was a 16-year-old celeb guy  dressed like a tawdry near-toddler having young boys at his birthday party.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 14