Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I've only seen Pete Davidson in some SNL sketches, and I'm baffled by his popularity. He's not funny. His line deliveries aren't funny, he doesn't do any physical comedy, he doesn't even seem to have good comic timing. And to top it off, he looks skeevy and like he badly needs a wash. Why is he famous? Does he write amazingly funny material that he just can't perform?

I guess he has enough talent to land a job at SNL, but he just existed there for years.  It wasn't until he started dating Ariana Grande and her subsequent comments that made him famous.  It was a couple of years ago, but the gist of it is he is great in bed.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Terry Crews is going to Terry Crews.  With him and J.K. Rowling, is this some kind of "making things worse" week?  It's going to be hard for me to separate him from his character now, like I'd been able to in the past when he has done things that annoyed me.

Great article (as always) by Michael Harriot Take off Your Mask, Terry Crews.

Crews’ Twitter account is a smorgasbord of fuckshit displaying his repeated attempts at cleaning the collective Caucasian Doc Martens using only his tongue.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 10:44 AM, Irlandesa said:

Terry Crews is going to Terry Crews.  With him and J.K. Rowling, is this some kind of "making things worse" week?  It's going to be hard for me to separate him from his character now, like I'd been able to in the past when he has done things that annoyed me.

If only he had just said the first paragraph ALONE and skipped the last sentence altogether!

Again, better to be silent and be thought of as a fair person than keep running one's mouth and have it known one's otherwise. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
On 7/1/2020 at 9:14 AM, Blergh said:

If only he had just said the first paragraph ALONE and skipped the last sentence altogether!

Again, better to be silent and be thought of as a fair person than keep running one's mouth and have it known one's otherwise. 

You should have seen him on Don Lemon. What a trainwreck.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chevy Chase. I never found him funny on SNL and reading that Live from New York book about how horrible he was to the various casts when he came back to host all those times, has only validated that opinion. 

Oh, and that infamous fistfight he had with Bill Murray when he first returned? In his version he tried to spin it that John Belushi somehow was responsible because he thinks (key term: thinks, no proof) that John spread rumors about him. As if that were the only reason, and not the fact that Chevy ditched them after one year and probably had his fair share of acting like a douchebag around them! Noooo, just lay suspicion at the guy whose been dead for thirty years.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Chevy Chase. I never found him funny on SNL and reading that Live from New York book about how horrible he was to the various casts when he came back to host all those times, has only validated that opinion. 

Oh, and that infamous fistfight he had with Bill Murray when he first returned? In his version he tried to spin it that John Belushi somehow was responsible because he thinks (key term: thinks, no proof) that John spread rumors about him. As if that were the only reason, and not the fact that Chevy ditched them after one year and probably had his fair share of acting like a douchebag around them! Noooo, just lay suspicion at the guy whose been dead for thirty years.

I remember listening to the episode commentary for the first 3 seasons of Community, and the rest of the cast plus Dan Harmon had a difficult time trying to say positive things about Chevy.  Reading between the lines, it sounds like he was a horror on set always suggesting to play Pierce like Clark Griswold and just not following direction.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Goldie Hawn appears to like Chevy Chase (as a person) for reasons others don't understand (myself included)  but this seems a bit of an exceptional POV   among their peers.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I imagine Chevy Chase is like his character Pierce Hawthorne in Community, so basically a jerk on his best day and generally an asshole.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I imagine Chevy Chase is like his character Pierce Hawthorne in Community, so basically a jerk on his best day and generally an asshole.

I always thought so too.  In the early seasons, Pierce was just written as a clueless out of touch old rich white guy.  But then as time went Pierce became cruel in addition to all that.  There are some episode where it was really hard to watch him (the recently pulled 'blackface' Dungeons and Dragons episode is one of them).  I head-wanked that Pierce's growing ass-holishness on screen mirrored Chevy's ass-holishness behind the scenes and that Pierce's character arc was Dan Harmon's low key way of showing the audience what Chevy ws really like.

I felt a bit vindicated when I read an interview with Donald Glover in The New Yorker.  This snippet is about Chevy on community:

Chevy Chase, one of Glover’s co-stars, often tried to disrupt his scenes and made racial cracks between takes. (“People think you’re funnier because you’re black.”) Harmon said, “Chevy was the first to realize how immensely gifted Donald was, and the way he expressed his jealousy was to try to throw Donald off. I remember apologizing to Donald after a particularly rough night of Chevy’s non-P.C. verbiage, and Donald said, ‘I don’t even worry about it.’ ” Glover told me, “I just saw Chevy as fighting time—a true artist has to be O.K. with his reign being over. I can’t help him if he’s thrashing in the water. But I know there’s a human in there somewhere—he’s almost too human.”

• Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Goldie Hawn appears to like Chevy Chase (as a person) for reasons others don't understand (myself included)  but this seems a bit of an exceptional POV   among their peers.

He and Beverly d'Angelo are good friends, but, yeah, it seems like most people who work with him don't care for him.  Which is unsurprising, since he's a jerk in interviews; imagine how much worse he is in private if that's how he behaves in public.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I read that SNL book last year, and my two biggest takeaways is everyone who works on the show must have daddy issues, which leads to some weird dynamics with Lorne Michaels, and Chevy Chase sounds like one of the biggest assholes in show business, even when he was just starting out. Like, I don't remember one likable anecdote about him at all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I read that SNL book last year, and my two biggest takeaways is everyone who works on the show must have daddy issues, which leads to some weird dynamics with Lorne Michaels, and Chevy Chase sounds like one of the biggest assholes in show business, even when he was just starting out. Like, I don't remember one likable anecdote about him at all. 

Another part that stood out was when he and Lorne attended Michael 'O Donahue's funeral and Buck Henry of all people called them out for being there because "they knew full well what Michael thought of them."

Michael supposedly said when National Lampoon founder Doug Kenney died that it was a shame Doug wasn't holding hands with Chevy when he fell off that cliff. (Chevy had been with Doug in Hawaii doing blow with him a few days before).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's funny in retrospect, how Mr. Chase seemed to instantly believe himself the SNL breakout star and leader of the pack who eagerly did a 'so long suckers' deal just one year after the show's inception- only to find out that the public didn't consider him a top tier movie comedian (despite Goldie Hawn's best efforts to try to shore him up as a romantic rom-com lead in Foul Play)  AND his fellow cast seemed to be relieved at his departure rather than believing the show would imminently collapse without his 'leadership'. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

It's funny in retrospect, how Mr. Chase seemed to instantly believe himself the SNL breakout star and leader of the pack who eagerly did a 'so long suckers' deal just one year after the show's inception- only to find out that the public didn't consider him a top tier movie comedian (despite Goldie Hawn's best efforts to try to shore him up as a romantic rom-com lead in Foul Play)  AND his fellow cast seemed to be relieved at his departure rather than believing the show would imminently collapse without his 'leadership'. 

I think he totally believed in his catchphrase. "I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not." 

• Love 11

OK, I probably should have posted this before the individual's passing but what wasn't done wasn't done. Anyway, I know this will likely be unpopular (and for those who like, love, adore, etc. this individual , you are more than welcome to re-read the kudos others gave  on the In Memorium: Celebrity Deaths thread over the past week). To each one's own.

HOWEVER; I COULD NOT STAND the late Regis Philbin. IMO, he was a  hammy, smarmy, smug  loudmouth, self-important bore! I mean, wasn't ONE Bob Hope already one too many? Among other things that annoyed me was his and his fellow loudmouth cohost Mrs. Gifford always referring to their Executive Producer like he was  a nothing flunky by calling him 'Gellman' NEVER by his first name or MR. Gelman- despite the fact that the continuing existence of their annoying show completely depended on that individual (and, no I didn't get ANY sense of respect or love behind that) ! I always thought if they could scream and yell at him like he was nothing, they likely were even RUDER to the rest of that crew! Oh, and another bit of Mr. Philbin's schtick was to have showing photos of  his head put on other folks' bodies when standing next to famous people like Ted Baxter did with his dressing room photos. I mean, this might have been worth a feeble chuckle ONCE but he kept doing it and thinking it was the most clever and adorable thing ever! It wasn't!  I avoided that Live show as much as possible during Mr. Philbin's tenure and have no regrets doing so. Oh, and I was SO happy when he retired because that meant that he wouldn't be on that show and so many other shows and commercials! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
On 4/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The 70s and 80s, what was the Golden Age of the game show hosts.

Pick any of them.  Wink Martindale.  Jack Barry.  Bob Eubanks on The Newlywed Game.  Richard Dawswon on Family Feud.  Peter Tomarken on Press your Luck.  Of course Bob Barker.  Gene Rayburn on Match Game. 

I'm gonna remove Richard Dawson from this list.  His kissing all the female contestants was creepy and borderline abusive.  He was in a position of power and there's nothing they could do to prevent his perhaps unwanted attention.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Oosala said:

I'm gonna remove Richard Dawson from this list.  His kissing all the female contestants was creepy and borderline abusive.  He was in a position of power and there's nothing they could do to prevent his perhaps unwanted attention.

My mom always said the same thing.  She couldn't even watch the show because of it. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Oosala said:

Speaking of Chevy Chase, European Vacation actually parodied this by having the host of a game show kiss Audrey.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, bmasters9 said:

I think you're absolutely right-- that pales to everything else that went wrong (rappin' Dragon in the bonus game, pots that started over with ties despite increase of question value, the fact that sometimes the bonus game could be impossible to win without the Dragonslayer, etc.).

That's one of the issues i had with him- he ruined what had been a pretty good game show in the Martindale era.

• Love 2
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, Oosala said:

Whereas I found it kind of charming.

• Love 2

I have to wonder what percentage of Family Feud female contestants loathed the thought of the late Mr. Dawson kissing them and ONLY agreed to go on the show with the others so that  their family to reap the cash. 

P.S. He would claim that the reason he did NOT kiss the contestants in his revival of the show was that his young daughter said she didn't want to see him kissing any woman besides her mother. If that's true, that's actually a noble reason, IMO. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On 8/2/2020 at 12:55 PM, Oosala said:

Whereas I found it kind of charming.

I remember him from Match Game where all the women seemed to want to kiss him. If he gave the right answer they'd run over. One even ran and kissed him when one of the others gave the right answer. It was a different time. 

• Love 4

I've seen at least a couple of women turn their head when he was going in for a kiss while watching old episodes of his original run of hosting Family Feud on Buzzr. Those few times his kisses landed on cheeks. At least he, the show or both knew to keep his lips away from the underage ladies who appeared on the show as contestants with their families.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I have been watching more of the Weather Channel lately. Cannot stand Stephanie Abrams. Cantore is a blowhard, but I tend to tune him out. SA though grates on my last good nerve. She will sometimes ask stupid questions, then turn around and act like the expert.  Why has she been promoted like the lead meteorologist? Almost like Cantore’s successor??

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know what the deal is with Laurence Fox, who I used to enjoy on Inspector Lewis, but he's reached such a level of awfulness that I don't think I'll ever be able to rewatch the show. He recently tweeted that he was boycotting the supermarket chain Sainsbury's after they announced their support of Black History Month, then called some of the people who challenged him pedophiles.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

I don't know what the deal is with Laurence Fox, who I used to enjoy on Inspector Lewis, but he's reached such a level of awfulness that I don't think I'll ever be able to rewatch the show. He recently tweeted that he was boycotting the supermarket chain Sainsbury's after they announced their support of Black History Month, then called some of the people who challenged him pedophiles.

Again, it appears that to be a case of' better to be silent and let others give one the benefit of the doubt that one could be fair minded than to rant and remove all possible doubt of that status!'

And it sure seems he's NOT tolerant of those with dissenting viewpoints if he slandered them so vilely for that! UGH.

Looks like his ex Billie Piper's going to have to pop into Sainsbury's for paper bags for their sons to wear on those occasions they have to be seen in public with Mr. Fox. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I know, right. I feel so nostalgic for the days when literally all I knew about Laurence Fox was that he was married to Billie Piper and a minor member of the Fox acting dynasty. This heel-turn into public meltdown seems so abrupt and over-the-top. I wonder where it's all coming from and what triggered it, what he hopes to accomplish by being so publicly awful. I mean, I have to assume these opinions were always there (in which case, I've lost a bit of respect for Billie, for staying married to him for so long) but it is only within the last 12 months or so that he has been ranting like this so publicly. Does he actually believe he will win support, fans, and work like this? Does he genuinely believe the 'political party' he is trying to launch stands any chance of success? Does he feel emboldened by, erm, certain right wing governments that I shan't detail here because politics - but do they make him feel like he is courting majority opinion by taking this stance? He's an elitist public schoolboy from a wealthy family, so I can believe that his worldview is that narrow, but then again as an actor, you'd think he'd have spent enough of his life in more liberal circles to be more open-minded. It just seems such a pointless downward spiral that can only damage his reputation and career when literally all he had to do was stay quiet and no one would have known he harboured such repugnant views, but maybe he doesn't care. Urgh.

• Love 13
35 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I know, right. I feel so nostalgic for the days when literally all I knew about Laurence Fox was that he was married to Billie Piper and a minor member of the Fox acting dynasty. This heel-turn into public meltdown seems so abrupt and over-the-top. I wonder where it's all coming from and what triggered it, what he hopes to accomplish by being so publicly awful. I mean, I have to assume these opinions were always there (in which case, I've lost a bit of respect for Billie, for staying married to him for so long) but it is only within the last 12 months or so that he has been ranting like this so publicly. Does he actually believe he will win support, fans, and work like this? Does he genuinely believe the 'political party' he is trying to launch stands any chance of success? Does he feel emboldened by, erm, certain right wing governments that I shan't detail here because politics - but do they make him feel like he is courting majority opinion by taking this stance? He's an elitist public schoolboy from a wealthy family, so I can believe that his worldview is that narrow, but then again as an actor, you'd think he'd have spent enough of his life in more liberal circles to be more open-minded. It just seems such a pointless downward spiral that can only damage his reputation and career when literally all he had to do was stay quiet and no one would have known he harboured such repugnant views, but maybe he doesn't care. Urgh.

If someone pushes you, how much can you take before you push back? All those other people are wrong! He's sick of all these people and their incorrect views and has to lash out. They must be told the correct way! From politics to pizza toppings, sooner or later you need to speak up. Not that I share his views, I just know the feeling.

17 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I just discovered Inspector Lewis during quarantine and absolutely love it.  While I think Fox's political views are horrendous and think he seemed like an asshole based on other things I've read about him before I knew what his political views were, the appeal of that show to me is Lewis/Hobson, so Fox won't keep me from watching the show.  I'd be okay if they wanted to do a reunion special without Hathaway.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

If someone pushes you, how much can you take before you push back? All those other people are wrong! He's sick of all these people and their incorrect views and has to lash out. They must be told the correct way! From politics to pizza toppings, sooner or later you need to speak up. Not that I share his views, I just know the feeling.

It's one thing to say ' I disagree with this  because. .' but going so far as to call   anyone who disagrees with one's POV a vile and slanderous term which (  Mr. Fox did)? IMO, that's going WAY too far.

Well, I never watched the show and never had any interest in it so I can't begin to boycott it. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

I roll my eyes whenever Felicia Day pops up in something I watch. It's probably due to Buffy Potentials flashbacks. 

I also realized after re-watching Night at the Museum 2 that I'm not a big Amy Adams fan. Granted I haven't seen her in many movies apart from the Man of Steel/ Justice League, but for me her best acting was in that Smallville episode years ago. LOL

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 2

I'm trying hard to post this without getting political... Kanye West, Ice Cube, and 50 Cent have all gotten very political recently. (To be fair, Kanye has been spouting political rhetoric for a while). I believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, and celebrities certainly have a right to use their fame to promote their agendas. But these wealthy rappers seem very out of touch with the urban culture they once rapped about--and used to be a part of. 

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, topanga said:

I'm trying hard to post this without getting political... Kanye West, Ice Cube, and 50 Cent have all gotten very political recently. (To be fair, Kanye has been spouting political rhetoric for a while). I believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, and celebrities certainly have a right to use their fame to promote their agendas. But these wealthy rappers seem very out of touch with the urban culture they once rapped about--and used to be a part of. 

I want to know why on earth Ice Cube thought he was the leader for the delegation of Black people. I must have missed the vote because I sure has hell am not voting for him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

ScottBaioScottBaioScottBaio ChachiChachiChachi.

Ditto.

And I'll add Dean Cain to the list. I'll admit it breaks my heart a little because I grew up with Lois and Clark, and up until the last few years I thought he started to play assholes to get away from the Superman typecasting. Turns out he really IS an asshole.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Why does Scott Baio insist on trying to be relevant? Can't he just tastefully slip into reclusive obscurity the way the late Doris Day (who dwarfed him in every respect, from talent to personality) did? 

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I'll add Dean Cain to the list. I'll admit it breaks my heart a little because I grew up with Lois and Clark, and up until the last few years I thought he started to play assholes to get away from the Superman typecasting. Turns out he really IS an asshole.

So Superman was really Lex Luthor all along? What a twist!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Late to the Chevy Chase discussion but as a big Community fan, its pretty well known he was just an a**hole not only as a character but also as a person to most people on the show. 

I'm old enough to know him from his 1980s and SNL days as well and he was hilarious in movies like Vacation and Fletch.  But personally its no secret he is a not well liked in Hollywood. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Why does Scott Baio insist on trying to be relevant? Can't he just tastefully slip into reclusive obscurity the way the late Doris Day (who dwarfed him in every respect, from talent to personality) did? 

So Superman was really Lex Luthor all along? What a twist!

Answer: Wah! Wah! Wah! I want attention! That's his MO, unfortunately.

Never put Doris Day in the same league as Chachi. She is 10x better than him.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, topanga said:

Eh, Dre sells headphones now and Snoop Dogg is starring in a Just Eat advert, over here in the UK. The gangsta rappers of the 90s went corporate a long time ago. It makes you wonder what Tupac and Biggie would be doing now, if they'd lived.

Meanwhile, the woke performers are all the teen idols and former teen idols - Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, this Yungblud chap and others. And, as privileged as they might be, I trust them to be far more in tune with the culture they represent.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Answer: Wah! Wah! Wah! I want attention! That's his MO, unfortunately.

Never put Doris Day in the same league as Chachi. She is 10x better than him.

Yep! One would be hard pressed to find someone who has ever heard the Joanie Loves Chachi theme he . . .intoned to   consider it to even vaguely appealing as    late Miss Day's "Sentimental Journey' or even "Que Sera Sera"! Oh, and her comedic and dramatic acting skills were also far better! 

• Love 6
On 10/21/2020 at 5:57 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Pre Lois & Clark (and even before the 90210 episodes where he played a nice guy Brenda met in France), Dean Cain guest-starred on A Different World as a cocky, racist student from another college.  There was a fight, and Dwayne Wayne punched him in the face several times. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

To think: I liked Rick Shroeder as a performer (even as an adult) but IMO what he allegedly did  via helping to bail out Kyle Rittenhouse definitely goes under the categories of 'WAY too far' and ' how COULD you?'! I'd go into more detail but I'm trying to avoid anything political here. So, unless he does a MAJOR and sincere mea culpa, no more clicks or views of ANYthing he does from this point on from me! 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kyle-rittenhouse-attorney-thanks-actor-175254046.html

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

I missed out on his heyday and didn't follow his career or anything, so I'd had no opinion on him one way or another in the past. 

But yeah, this news definitely puts him into the "awful" category, for sure. That is truly shitty as hell. For so many reasons. I seem to recall he also had a domestic violence thing recently, too, though, which would make this not all that surprising as a result. 

• Love 3

Let the record show that after it was revealed that   others confirmed that the performer Rick Shroeder evidently did something more appalling in recent days than the   allegations of domestic violence against a onetime companion in 2019, I was DONE with him. I'll let others draw their own conclusions as to what the more recent action may have been. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Let the record show that after it was revealed that   others confirmed that the performer Rick Shroeder evidently did something more appalling in recent days than the   allegations of domestic violence against a onetime companion in 2019, I was DONE with him. I'll let others draw their own conclusions as to what the more recent action may have been. 

Hearing about that reminded me of the American Dad episode where Klaus revealed he was roommates with Rick Schroeder and had this to say: “Rick Schroeder SUCKS! He just SUCKS.”

When Seth McFarlane calls something, he really calls it.

• Love 16

I read that Schroder is getting threats online. While I think he is wrong for helping pay bail for this kid, I don't agree with online threats. So I'm editing my comment here. I don't want to post anything that will encourage bad ideas in people.

Edited by WritinMan
Changing the comment.
  • Love 13
On 4/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, bmasters9 said:

I think you're absolutely right-- that pales to everything else that went wrong (rappin' Dragon in the bonus game, pots that started over with ties despite increase of question value, the fact that sometimes the bonus game could be impossible to win without the Dragonslayer, etc.).

I'll agree with you on that. While the core game remained the same, the changes made(rappin' Dragon in the bonus game, pots that started over with ties despite increase of question value, the fact that sometimes the bonus game could be impossible to win without the Dragonslayer, etc.) wasn't that great. The other thing that hurt the show, in my opinion was Patrick Wayne, simply because of him being almost-universally panned as an incredibly annoying host, with his shouts of "YOU WIIIIIIN!" in comparison to Wink Martindale, who not only was a better host, but brought the southern charm to his hosting duties. Having watched Patrick host TTD(first on WYFF/4 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville in 1990, and later on USA Network reruns) and seeing Wink do the same thing on USA and later on, Game Show Network, i feel that Wink was the better host, by far.

Edited by danderson400
  • Useful 2
On 11/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, danderson400 said:

in comparison to Wink Martindale, who not only was a better host, but brought the southern charm to his hosting duties. Having watched Patrick host TTD(first on WYFF/4 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville in 1990, and later on USA Network reruns) and seeing Wink do the same thing on USA and later on, Game Show Network, i feel that Wink was the better host, by far.

You bet-- whereas Patrick would have overplayed Thom McKee's eventual downfall to then-to-be-champ Erik Kraepelien, Wink Martindale (upon Erik giving the correct answer [SLA, Symbionese Liberation Army] to a question about Patricia Hearst's kidnappers, a radical political group), simply said, "You win! We have a new champ," with extended applause in tribute to Thom's long run and Erik's conquest thereto (the category was The 70s).

Category selection, question, Erik's victory, Wink's reaction and applause all start at the 10-minute mark of this clip of Thom McKee's final show:

• Love 1