Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

On 4/28/2019 at 5:02 PM, Anduin said:

Crepe hanger?

I guess it's someone morbidly pessimistic. Don't know if that definition fits in context of the post (because I don't know JJ Abrams work).  I've only ever heard it once - in Rosemary's Baby, Guy calls Hutch a crepe hanger and Rosemary gets offended. I looked it up at that time.

I know he's a singer, but he was "born" on tv - I can't stand Adam Lambert! It grinds my gears he gets to sing with one of my favorite bands!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:
On 4/28/2019 at 6:02 PM, Anduin said:

Crepe hanger?

I guess it's someone morbidly pessimistic.

Yes.  Victorian funerals involved a lot of black crepe (crepe is a somewhat stiff cloth) banners and such, and hanging crepe was an actual job.  So by extension in our day a crepe hanger is someone who is not just pessimistic, but almost more of a professional mourner - someone who has nothing to do unless they're being a Debbie Downer.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

Andy Samberg.  No explanation for why, he just annoys me.  Which makes it hard for me to watch Brooklyn 99.  I like the rest of the cast just fine, but it's just enough not an ensemble that he sort of ruins it for me.

• Love 7
(edited)

Gayle King.

According to this solved Blind Gossip item, Gayle maneuvered to get Norah O'Donnell fired/removed from CBS This Morning so Gayle would be the only woman anchor. I like Norah. I think she's smart and professional. Gayle, on the other hand, is a moron, a lightweight who inserts herself into every story, and got as far as she did only because of her friendship with Oprah.

And no, I wasn't impressed by her "handling" of the interview with R Kelly.

https://blindgossip.com/bump-one-off/#more-98333

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8

This is going to sound weird in 2019, but Kate Jackson.  I saw a repeat of a Charlie's Angels the other day and that just reminded me of how much I couldn't stand her.  

I usually try not to pay attention to celebrity feuds as I realize I don't have all the info and don't actually know all the details, but it just seems she was cruel for no apparent reason to Cheryl Ladd.

And when they were making the Charlie's Angels movie she said that it wasn't going to happen because everybody knew that Kate, Jaclyn, and Farrah were Charlie's Angels and she wasn't going to do it.  Like she actually thought the movie producers were going to be chasing after her to reprise her role at that late date.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

This is going to sound weird in 2019, but Kate Jackson.  I saw a repeat of a Charlie's Angels the other day and that just reminded me of how much I couldn't stand her.  

I usually try not to pay attention to celebrity feuds as I realize I don't have all the info and don't actually know all the details, but it just seems she was cruel for no apparent reason to Cheryl Ladd.

And when they were making the Charlie's Angels movie she said that it wasn't going to happen because everybody knew that Kate, Jaclyn, and Farrah were Charlie's Angels and she wasn't going to do it.  Like she actually thought the movie producers were going to be chasing after her to reprise her role at that late date.

Perhaps Miss Jackson did that to compensate for having her character always wrap herself like a mummy while the other Angels would wear as little as possible while casing out resorts and beaches during their investigations.  It also should be noted that Miss Ladd has been working steadlily ever  since but it doesn't appear Miss Jackson has acted in anything filmed or televised in the last dozen years. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Perhaps Miss Jackson did that to compensate for having her character always wrap herself like a mummy while the other Angels would wear as little as possible while casing out resorts and beaches during their investigations.

Actually, from what I understand, she didn't want to dress scantily.  Plus, she got along quite well with Jacklyn Smith and Farrah Fawcett.  It was only Cheryl Ladd that she didn't like. I guess she was upset that she was replacing Farrah, but that wasn't really Cheryl's fault. If it hadn't been her it would have been someone else.

Like I said, I usually try not to care about these things, but I was a kid when Charlie's Angels was on and I absolutely wanted to be Cheryl Ladd when I grew up, so I guess I took it a bit personally.  Spoiler alert: I am no Cheryl Ladd😞

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Actually, from what I understand, she didn't want to dress scantily.  Plus, she got along quite well with Jacklyn Smith and Farrah Fawcett.  It was only Cheryl Ladd that she didn't like. I guess she was upset that she was replacing Farrah, but that wasn't really Cheryl's fault. If it hadn't been her it would have been someone else.

Like I said, I usually try not to care about these things, but I was a kid when Charlie's Angels was on and I absolutely wanted to be Cheryl Ladd when I grew up, so I guess I took it a bit personally.  Spoiler alert: I am no Cheryl Ladd😞

She was difficult on Scarecrow and Mrs. King too.  Her co-stars said she was difficult. I did love that show though.

• Love 4
On 5/3/2019 at 7:01 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Gayle, on the other hand, is a moron, a lightweight who inserts herself into every story, and got as far as she did only because of her friendship with Oprah.

And no, I wasn't impressed by her "handling" of the interview with R Kelly.

I always wish someone would say to Gayle King " you are Oprah's friend, you are not Oprah."

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I always wish someone would say to Gayle King " you are Oprah's friend, you are not Oprah."

What I wish someone would say is 'you have the raw talent and you DID show your mettle re the R. Kelly interview and you deserve a lot better than staying Oprah's yes-woman instead of having sincere friends. Your career WOULD survive you saying back off and/or no to her!'

• Love 3
(edited)

The upcoming Showtime series starring Russell Crowe make me remember that I won't watch anything he's in, either.

My impression is of an obnoxious, entitled prat and I don't care to spend any of my leisure time looking at his craggy face.

Edited by 2727
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, Mabinogia said:

I hated Goren so Goldblum was a breath of fresh air to me. 

Amen Eames was my favorite character not Goren. Nichols was quirky but he wasn't emotionally dependent on his partner.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

Amen Eames was my favorite character not Goren.

Eames was great. Loved her. Tolerated Goren to watch her. I could not, however, tolerate him at all when his female Moriarty was on. UGH! I thought I didn't mind Olivia D'Abo but Criminal Intent made me despise her. 

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I was probably 15 or so when I came across filming of the opening sequence of Scarecrow and Mrs. King. I remember vividly Kate shouting for "Mimi! Mimi! come fix my dress!" and the kindness that Bruce Boxleitner showed me when I bashfully asked for his autograph while he was off alone taking in the scenery between scenes. He said "sure kid, just getting in a little sightseeing myself so don't tell anyone I did this". 

Nice story.  It has been said that she was very obsessed about her wardrobe and hair. so you saw that first hand.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, dirtydi said:

Nice story.  It has been said that she was very obsessed about her wardrobe and hair. so you saw that first hand.

Kate Jackson is allegedly very, very bitter about not playing Kramer vs, Kramer because Meryl Streep won an Oscar for the part that she was offered but had to turn down because of Charlie's Angels. On one hand, I get it, but on the other, Meryl really shaped the role. Like, she actually rewrote dialogue to make her character less one-dimensional. There's no telling if the role would have had the same kind of impact it did with Kate Jackson playing it.

And Constane Wu...wow. I get wanting to be out of your show contract because you're getting movie offers, but that's not how to do it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Kate Jackson is allegedly very, very bitter about not playing Kramer vs, Kramer because Meryl Streep won an Oscar for the part that she was offered but had to turn down because of Charlie's Angels. On the other hand, I get it, but on the other, Meryl really shaped the role. Like, she actually rewrote dialogue to make her character less one-dimensional. There's no telling if the role would have had the same kind of impact it did with Kate Jackson playing it.

And Constane Wu...wow. I get wanting to be out of your show contract because you're getting movie offers, but that's not how to do it.

Wu what a dummy. She'll get humbled, they always do.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dirtydi said:

Wu what a dummy. She'll get humbled, they always do.

If you are an actor, part of your job is to promote the project you are in. Period. There are literally thousands of actors/actresses who would kill to be in the place you are in right now as someone who is on the show that's going to get 6 seasons. (Which, by the way, means more syndication money for YOU!)

• Love 15

Well, considering that Miss Kate Jackson doesn't appear to have done any TV or film work in the last 12 years, she may not have been humbled but she likely IS living with the consequences of her actions even if she still tries to blame other folks for the choices she herself made.  Yes, I seriously doubt that she'd have been a better character than Meryl Streep was in Kramer vs Kramer (and I haven't forgotten how had less and less interaction  with her onscreen children as the show went on  in Scarecrow and Mrs. King- evidently because she didn't want viewers to think she was old enough to have kids zooming towards their teens).  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

evidently because she didn't want viewers to think she was old enough to have kids zooming towards their teens).  

She was nigh on 40 when the show ended.  Of course she was old enough to have young teen children.

That actually reminds me when I was out with my little sister (through Big Brothers Big Sisters), and someone called her my daughter and I was quick to correct, because gosh darn it, I wasn't old enough to be her mother.  Until I realized I'm actually a couple of years older than her mother..

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
(edited)

I loathe anyone who is hired to push the senior insurance, and the reverse mortgages, because the advertisers know people will trust the person.    

They need to put at the bottom of the screen, and all other advertising, in big letters "Spokes person is being paid for this".     I was not surprised about Alex T., or Ed McMahon advertising for these people.     I'm guessing Selleck, and Wagner made a bundle for these ads too, but I'm sure there are people who signed up for these programs without doing their due diligence first, and were pretty unhappy when they found out what they signed up for.  

I worked with someone who had a dad in terrible physical shape.   He signed up for many of the no-exam insurance plans, and spent a large percentage of his limited income on them.    His family thought they were going to pay for his funeral, and get a lot of money from those policies.   Imagine their surprise when they found the policies he had only paid off if he died in an accident, not for natural death.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loathe anyone who is hired to push the senior insurance, and the reverse mortgages, because the advertisers know people will trust the person.    

Alex Trebek, Tom Selleck and Robert Wagner are three famous people who have been involved in such ads, IIRC.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They need to put at the bottom of the screen, and all other advertising, in big letters "Spokes person is being paid for this".     I was not surprised about Alex T., or Ed McMahon advertising for these people.     I'm guessing Selleck, and Wagner made a bundle for these ads too, but I'm sure there are people who signed up for these programs without doing their due diligence first, and were pretty unhappy when they found out what they signed up for.  

I think that celebrities shouldn't sell anything they don't use themselves, and clearly no celebrity is going to need a reverse mortgage.

That said, anybody who just blindly trusts a celebrity almost deserves what they get.

Reverse mortgages and senior life insurance policies aren't inherently evil.  They work for some situations and not so much for others.  But, you have to make that determination and do your own research. 

• Love 6
On 5/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Gayle, on the other hand, is a moron, a lightweight who inserts herself into every story, and got as far as she did only because of her friendship with Oprah.

Gayle King is a moron, really?  I don't think so, but then again, I never liked Nora what's her name.

• Love 3

People I used to like but who have worn me down to a nub with bad behavior and exhausting thirstiness: Amy Schumer, Alec Baldwin and -- although this should probably be assumed as the baseline in every one of these posts -- Roseanne.

• Love 6
On 5/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, Katy M said:

She was nigh on 40 when the show ended.  Of course she was old enough to have young teen children.

That actually reminds me when I was out with my little sister (through Big Brothers Big Sisters), and someone called her my daughter and I was quick to correct, because gosh darn it, I wasn't old enough to be her mother.  Until I realized I'm actually a couple of years older than her mother..

I kind of wonder if a similar motivation is going on with Constance Wu. Crazy Rich Asians cast her as the young woman in love. (She's playing 30's, but I'm betting it's early 30's like Henry Golding.) She doesn't want people to be reminded that she's in her late 30's and playing a mom to teen children on a sitcom. I mean, Constance does pass pretty well for a good 5-7 years younger than she is (I honestly thought at first that she was a younger woman playing older in Fresh off the Boat) and I can see her wanting to avoid playing more "mom" roles until it's absolutely unavoidable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Yes on Meghan McCain, what is her deal??

She is an ill-informed entitled arrogant nasty hateful vile humorless moron who got where she is because of her daddy.   She fancies herself a political pundit because her father was John McCain. She is the embodiment of toxic femininity and will resort to tears when she cannot defend her inane political arguments with incontrovertible facts. She is also thinned-skinned takes any disagreement or criticism of her opinions as a personal attack. I loathe her with the heat of a thousand sun.  

• Love 23
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

Julianna Margulies.

Entitled diva who thinks entirely too much of herself.

I used to like her for the most part until all that The Good Wife shit went down. After that I got so tired of seeing her face that I only got halfway through that show's last season. I saw Julianna's appearance the other night on Colbert's The Late Show where she looked like she came out with her hair and makeup only halfway done while not having time to get dressed. That thing she was wearing which was supposed to be a strapless dress reminded me of something a person might wear after a shower or bath while doing their hair and applying their makeup. It was so weird as was her whole demeanor during the interview.

rsz_2019-05-22_065709_jm1.jpg.8d92495fb0a8d9fa4d8c58df7e25092d.jpg

rsz_2019-05-22_065601_jm2.jpg.ac6d085601d17ca20999c6eaf3be4d03.jpg

• Love 3
On 5/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, Katy M said:

GOD I'm aging myself, but....I remember reading in TV Guide during the 70's that on her first day filming as Kris Munroe, Cheryl wore a t-shirt that had a star emblazoned in the middle with ‘Farrah Fawcett-Minor’ written in the star…..while it endeared her to the crew, Kate didn’t find it funny at all.  IIRC, that started the drama between them.  Also, when they had the tribute to Aaron Spelling at the Emmys, Kate wouldn’t participate unless the ‘original’ Angels were at the podium giving their respects.

I could see Kate being put off by ‘Farrah Fawcett-Minor’ and being a bit cool towards Cheryl at the beginning seeing as one of her best friends was no longer on set but I couldn’t see being mean to her for Kate’s duration on the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Shit, I always loved Kate Jackson, she was a huge childhood crush for me. I even used to write Charlie's Angels comics, the only fanfic I've ever written. I never knew any of this stuff about her.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

David Spade and Chris Elliott.  I do not see an ounce of talent or appeal in either one.

David Spade completely ruined 8 Simple Rules for me.

• Love 4
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.  Aaannnnd their annoying, no-talent kids (not Will's oldest son from his previous marriage though).

I was willing to give the youngest two Smiths passes when they were still minors under their parental aegis  but they've now  both edged past their eighteenth birthdays and are STILL deliberately  and publicly annoying so- not any more! 

That's not to say that the parental Smiths aren't significant contributing factors re how they turned out (to say nothing about how they exploited their offspring when they WERE minors) and deserve to be called out for that (especially  for the latter deal) but the younger Smiths are now legal adults. 

Edited by Blergh
clarity
  • Love 8

It's theoretically wrong to speak ill of the dead, but since Charlie's Angels has come up and because ABC is doing a two-hour special tonight about Farrah Fawcett, I'm going to say: Farrah Fawcett. Can't Stand Her. I had no opinion of her as a kid, except that like every girl kid in the 1970s, I wanted that hairstyle, but when she and Ryan O'Neal got together, she didn't want to be burdened with Tatum and Griffin, who were in their early teens, so they left them alone in Ryan's house while Farrah and Ryan lived elsewhere. Judging by how screwed up their son Redmond is, it wasn't just Ryan's kids she didn't care about, it was her own as well. I mean, I hate Ryan too, but because he's still alive, no one is periodically waxing rhapsodic about how he was "an angel in real life," the way people do with Farrah.

(Semi-related: every once in a while I randomly think about how United Artists first choice to play Rocky Balboa was Ryan O'Neal and then I laugh and laugh.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Farrah does seem to get the halo-effect, people feel nostalgia for her. Didn't all teen boys of the era have the poster (if they were allowed to?) She's no great actress, and she gets too much credit for acting in a serious movie The Burning Bed, and now for some reason, she's a saint. Big shrug over here.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Farrah does seem to get the halo-effect, people feel nostalgia for her. Didn't all teen boys of the era have the poster (if they were allowed to?) She's no great actress, and she gets too much credit for acting in a serious movie The Burning Bed, and now for some reason, she's a saint. Big shrug over here.

Pretty much every generation X-er had a poster of Farrah. It was the 70s. My only recollection is that scene where is she nude called Dr. T and The Women with Richard Gere. That's the only one I can think of that she made headlines back in 2000 before the dreaded cancer took her. However, the documentary she did before she died was very sad. She wasn't the best actress ever, but to see her declining health and withered appearance was really sad. She looked really bad in her failing years and this documentary probably showed her at her most human. She was a Texas girl, after all.

• Love 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Baby boomers had that poster, too.

Yeah I mean it’s iconic so it was in circulation for a long time but it came out in 1976 when the oldest Gen-Xer was 11. I am later Gen X and only know it exists because it’s was on the wall in tvs or movies no one in my peer group had a poster of her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4