Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, roamyn said:

He’s cheesy because that’s what the game shows require - esp that one.

Not really though.  I think first and foremost game shows require a host to be able to banter, come up with quick comebacks and think on their feet.  I think about hosts like Richard Dawson who was more sleezy than cheesy,  Bob Barker always struck me as a sea of calm in the middle of jumping, screaming people, Bob Eubanks  & Gene Rayburn -- because of the nature of the shows they hosted -- always had a sly nudge-nudge wink-wink air as they delivered sexual double entendres.   Even Monty Hall always seemed to me like  he was laughing with the the people and sometimes he was laughing at them.   But in all those cases, I would never characterize them as cheesy, but they could keep the patter going and deliver some zingers.  They are basically toastmasters.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Not really though.  I think first and foremost game shows require a host to be able to banter, come up with quick comebacks and think on their feet.  I think about hosts like Richard Dawson who was more sleezy than cheesy,  Bob Barker always struck me as a sea of calm in the middle of jumping, screaming people, Bob Eubanks  & Gene Rayburn -- because of the nature of the shows they hosted -- always had a sly nudge-nudge wink-wink air as they delivered sexual double entendres.   Even Monty Hall always seemed to me like  he was laughing with the the people and sometimes he was laughing at them.   But in all those cases, I would never characterize them as cheesy, but they could keep the patter going and deliver some zingers.  They are basically toastmasters.

I should’ve specified that the game shows in general are/were cheesy as hell, as well.  PIRV& Jeopardy, being the exceptions.  I find the original NTT & Gene Rayburn cheesy, but I loved that show.  

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I should’ve specified that the game shows in general are/were cheesy as hell, as well.  PIRV& Jeopardy, being the exceptions.  I find the original NTT & Gene Rayburn cheesy, but I loved that show.  

I am driving myself crazy trying to think of a game show that has the initials NTT and I can't think of one.  What is it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I am driving myself crazy trying to think of a game show that has the initials NTT and I can't think of one.  What is it?

All I can think of is Name That Tune?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

Am I the only one who can't stand Mike Holmes?  He's so patronizing to everyone.

He didn't used to be, but maybe he's finally his annoyance at people who make real estate mistakes show.  I haven't seen anything with him for years - his stuff is mostly on a channel I don't get.  It's disappointing that he's become patronizing.

• Love 2

Mike Holmes strikes me as one who believes his own press too much.  I liked him on his first series (the first one I saw, anyway), then with each passing year he seemed more and more annoying.  Then the kids joined him and they all had that “aren’t I special” vibe.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Mike Holmes strikes me as one who believes his own press too much.  I liked him on his first series (the first one I saw, anyway), then with each passing year he seemed more and more annoying.  Then the kids joined him and they all had that “aren’t I special” vibe.

He's become a virtual self-parody with his  overall shtick- almost as though he's become a Real Life Home Improvement Al but subbing overalls for flannel shirts.

However,; Mr Holmes seems to be downright bashful and self-effacing next to the smug, smarmy Bobby  Flay who seems to believe no one ever born has been as good looking, charming or smart as him. I actually avoided buying the yogurt he pitched due to his smarminess overwhelming the commercials (which is also why I avoid his shows). 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

However,; Mr Holmes seems to be downright bashful and self-effacing next to the smug, smarmy Bobby  Flay who seems to believe no one ever born has been as good looking, charming or smart as him. I actually avoided buying the yogurt he pitched due to his smarminess overwhelming the commercials (which is also why I avoid his shows). 

Gods yes, talk about someone who bought into his own hype! The second I see his face on my TV I change channels no matter what it is. Same with that idiot with the hair and the screechy voice who does the diners and drive-ins show, which is a shame because the show sounds fun but listening to him yell talk is like having my eardrums perforated by a deep sea oil drill. (I can't think of his name at the moment.)

Edited by Mabinogia
just remembered the howler monkey's name. Guy Feiri (though I'm sure I spelled it wrong)
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't stand Guy Fieri, either!  I tried watching one of his shows, but just couldn't get past the first couple of minutes.

Agree! And, to each one's own but why anyone  thinks it clever or entertaining to  see him shovel gigantic portions into his mouth in extreme close-up, I will never understand!  Since I couldn't stand him and his shows became downright viral on that network (to say nothing of them bombarding other shows with his  garish mug popping up on the screen), it wasn't long before I wound up giving up the network altogether!  The most positive thing I can think of about him is that at least he's slightly less smarmy than Bobby Flay ( which is like saying a forest fire is slightly cooler than an oil well fire). 

• Love 8

Here's a couple of weird ones. Not because of anything they've said or done, but I can't stand Randy Orton's face or Jason Statham's voice. Just offputting, in some way I can't explain.

Oh, and Roman Reigns' face, and his hair. Dry your hair! It doesn't need to look wet and shiny at all times!

Edited by Anduin
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, connieinnc said:

I'm going to be railroaded for this, but Jason Momoa freaks me out. I have never seen not read anything to indicate he is anything other but a good man, but just have a visceral reaction.

I had no opinion of him either way other than he isn't 1/100th as good looking as people say he is, but apparently as a "prank," he would rip the last pages out of a costar's book.  That's grade-A asshole behavior, if you ask me -- not letting them finish a book and destroying their property (and possibly someone else's property, based on how commonly books are lent out).

• Love 9
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:29 AM, Browncoat said:

I can't stand Guy Fieri, either!  I tried watching one of his shows, but just couldn't get past the first couple of minutes.

I saw an episode of Guy's Big Bite where he was grilling something in his backyard.  It was actually watchable.  He used a normal-volume voice, talked about what he was making quite knowledgably and was sort of likeable.  That Guy Fieri I might've watched again.  But the loud obnoxious Guy of the various "let's visit someone else's restaurant" shows makes me want to put my fist through the tv.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He used a normal-volume voice, talked about what he was making quite knowledgably and was sort of likeable.

That's interesting, that it's all a put on. I mean, he's got a ton of fans, so it must be a personality people are drawn to but I find it exhausting and painful (the shrieking. I just... the shrieking!!!!!)

• Love 2
On 2/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, Blergh said:

The most positive thing I can think of about him is that at least he's slightly less smarmy than Bobby Flay ( which is like saying a forest fire is slightly cooler than an oil well fire). 

I'm not sure I'd want to spend any time with Bobby Flay in real life (unless his cat was there), but I can happily watch several episodes of Beat Bobby Flay back-to-back, while the only time I can make it through even a segment of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives is when they're visiting a place I've been.  It's too bad, because I like the concept of the show, but can't stand Fieri.  Same with Alton Brown; I really love the concept of his show, but cannot stand his jerk ass.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure I'd want to spend any time with Bobby Flay in real life (unless his cat was there), but I can happily watch several episodes of Beat Bobby Flay back-to-back, while the only time I can make it through even a segment of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives is when they're visiting a place I've been.  It's too bad, because I like the concept of the show, but can't stand Fieri.  Same with Alton Brown; I really love the concept of his show, but cannot stand his jerk ass.

I’ll make it a trifecta of FN hosts that I can’t stand by throwing Sunny Anderson into the mix with Guy and Bobby. She takes shrieking to a whole new level.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I’ll make it a trifecta of FN hosts that I can’t stand by throwing Sunny Anderson into the mix with Guy and Bobby. She takes shrieking to a whole new level.

Maybe they think the FN audience is full of people with bad hearing? lol 

• LOL 7
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Maybe they think the FN audience is full of people with bad hearing? lol 

Or they're unable to access the Closed Captioning. BTW, viewing without sound can improve those shows but not entirely get them to be watchable, IMO.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. The woman just annoyed me to no end. Prohibiting Opie from spending time with his father at the jailhouse because of "undesirables" that were there; only to end up with Opie almost getting trapped in a mine shaft, and then on the other side of town because he fell asleep on some delivery truck, after he overate on all them apples; Telling Andy how he should run his jailhouse; showing up on Gomer Pyle, and insisting she do the work that HE was assigned to do--KP, keeping his quarters squared, etc. I could go on and on, and on, and on...UGH.

• LOL 4

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same with Alton Brown; I really love the concept of his show, but cannot stand his jerk ass.

He doesn't seem very nice.  They keep airing a commercial for Worst Cooks in America where he's talking about how a contestant's hands give him the creeps, and he compares the guy's hands to ET.  That just seems like something you should keep to yourself, rather than say on camera.

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Alton Brown is a smug creep whom I've loathed ever since his early days on FN. 

I found Alton Brown watchable in the early days, but totally agree that he is a smug creep now. Just obnoxious.  But to me, no one can "out-obnoxious" Guy Fieri.  I saw one show he hosted where he talked and behaved like a normal person, but that does not mitigate against his repulsive persona on the seemingly dozens of shows he appears on.  He is several decades too old to be a perpetual frat boy.  I don't understand his popularity and why he has taken over Food Network.

• Love 11

Guy Fieri is the Turd King of the FN, I'll give you that. But gotta be honest here, I ate at his restaurant in the Cancun airport a few years ago and ... for what it was, it was really good. That "Donkey Sauce" is tasty!

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. The woman just annoyed me to no end. Prohibiting Opie from spending time with his father at the jailhouse because of "undesirables" that were there; only to end up with Opie almost getting trapped in a mine shaft, and then on the other side of town because he fell asleep on some delivery truck, after he overate on all them apples; Telling Andy how he should run his jailhouse; showing up on Gomer Pyle, and insisting she do the work that HE was assigned to do--KP, keeping his quarters squared, etc. I could go on and on, and on, and on...UGH.

Apparently the actress was not very nice, either.  She did not like Ronnie Howard and only tolerably got on with the rest of the cast.

Andy Griffith, however, I’ve never heard anything remotely bad abt.  (And don’t tell me if there is!)

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Guy Fieri is the Turd King of the FN, I'll give you that. But gotta be honest here, I ate at his restaurant in the Cancun airport a few years ago and ... for what it was, it was really good. That "Donkey Sauce" is tasty!

All his restaurants seem to have been closed. The Johnny Garlic's that used to be near me just closed a couple of months ago. I have to admit I LOVED the garlic chicken. Whenever we got takeout I would ask for extra sauce & then put it on anything else I ate.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GaT said:

All his restaurants seem to have been closed.

Oh, damn! Hard times seem to have befallen Flavor Town. 

(I just checked though...Cancun location is still open.)

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Apparently the actress was not very nice, either.  She did not like Ronnie Howard and only tolerably got on with the rest of the cast.

Andy Griffith, however, I’ve never heard anything remotely bad abt.  (And don’t tell me if there is!)

She was apparently a real bitch to Andy IRL too. 

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

To be fair, Frances Bavier, WAS nice to Jim Nabors inasmuch as he had only been a singer and nightclub performer before TAGS but had zero previous acting experience but rather than just taunt him over it, she took him under her wing and taught him some of the basics re blocking and reactions. 

Yes, I know she wasn't an easy person  (and she even admitted as such in a final phone call to Mr. Griffith shortly before her death). She moved to a small town in North Carolina and bought a house but got rather annoyed by being called 'Aunt Bee' (and often having entire episode plots recounted to her by her neighbors as though she WAS Aunt Bee ) and wound up becoming a reclusive cat lady .

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 2/1/2020 at 2:04 AM, Blergh said:

He's become a virtual self-parody with his  overall shtick- almost as though he's become a Real Life Home Improvement Al but subbing overalls for flannel shirts.

I can't stand Bobby Flay either. My mom and I used to love to watch his Beat Bobby Flay or any competition he was in, cheering against him and celebrate when he lost. He's just so damn smug, acting like knows everything and the best handsome, talented and smartest person. Watching him lose especially in Beat Bobby Flay when he was up against someone "normal"? It was awesome. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, roamyn said:

From all accounts, and I mean specifically, from Ronnie Ron and Rance Howard, Andy was like a second father to him (Ron). His dad, Rance was almost always on set, and whenever Rance would discipline Ron, and Ron would go to Andy, Andy would support Rance--there are some interviews with Ron, while he's recounting those times. You can see the love and respect Ron had for Andy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

As I know I've said before, my opinions of Bobby Flay and Alton Brown flip-flopped when I watched The Next Food Network Star, before giving up on FN completely. I went in enjoying Alton because of Good Eats and loathing Bobby Flay because of whatever I'd seen him in. But Alton was such an asshole while Bobby was actually helpful and constructive so that by the end, I felt completely different about them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

A friend of the family was good friends with Andy Griffith, and his stories were full of kind, and thoughtful acts.       I understand he wasn't really friendly when he aged, but he had also been through a lot of health problems too.   

Just having the gossip columns revel in his personal tragedies would be enough to make me wary of outsiders.    He had Guillian-Barre syndrome (spelling?), and other maladies through the years.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

To be fair, Frances Bavier, WAS nice to Jim Nabors inasmuch as he had only been a singer and nightclub performer before TAGS but had zero previous acting experience but rather than just taunt him over it, she took him under her wing and taught him some of the basics re blocking and reactions. 

Yes, I know she wasn't an easy person  (and she even admitted as such in a final phone call to Mr. Griffith shortly before her death). She moved to a small town in North Carolina and bought a house but got rather annoyed by being called 'Aunt Bee' (and often having entire episode plots recounted to her by her neighbors as though she WAS Aunt Bee ) and wound up becoming a reclusive cat lady .

I guess she shouldn’t have moved to NC, where Andy and the show are a god-like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

I guess she shouldn’t have moved to NC, where Andy and the show are a god-like.

While I don't think Miss Bavier deserved to have others refuse to think she was someone other than the fictional Aunt Bee, I don't think that was the smartest relocation on record- especially if she disliked Mr. Griffith and her iconic character. 

Interesting Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) HAS lived in Mt. Airy (Mr. Griffith's actual North Carolina hometown) for more than a dozen years . Nowadays,  even though she's now in an assisted living place at age 93, she still makes monthly personal appearances to meet with fans and ironically has seemed to enjoy living there more than Mr. Griffith himself did during his boyhood. 

• Love 6

Pretty much every character on TAGS - except Andy and Opie - are nails on a chalkboard to me.  Barney is such a moron, and even worse is Gomer!  I can't believe Gomer had his own show (which I loathe.)  By all accounts Jim Nabors seems like he was a lovely fellow, but the voice, the mannerisms, the utter ridiculous levels of naivety and cluelessness... It's astonishing to me that he was a popular enough character "back in the day" to get a spinoff, and it was actually successful.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Pretty much every character on TAGS - except Andy and Opie - are nails on a chalkboard to me.  Barney is such a moron, and even worse is Gomer!  I can't believe Gomer had his own show (which I loathe.)  By all accounts Jim Nabors seems like he was a lovely fellow, but the voice, the mannerisms, the utter ridiculous levels of naivety and cluelessness... It's astonishing to me that he was a popular enough character "back in the day" to get a spinoff, and it was actually successful.

Gomer is a blithering idiot, but I feel like the spinoff worked more so because of Sergeant Carter than anything else. I catch reruns fairly regularly on MeTV and pretty much the highlight of any episode for me is not what Gomer is doing but what assholery Carter is up to. His facial expressions when his world caves in is priceless and will never not make me laugh.

The show also seems to acknowledge that Gomer could be annoying and frustrating.

My biggest pet peeve on that show is LouAnn. I change the channel if it is an episode she is because she annoys me that badly. I hate her voice, and she's such a dingbat. Gomer is annoying but seems to mean well.  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:39 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. The woman just annoyed me to no end.

While I don't dislike Aunt Bea, I did find it hilarious that after the release of "Aunt Bee: The Best Cook in Mayberry," it turned out Francis Bavier couldn't cook to save her soul!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:40 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I hate Ricky Gervais. He's not funny even when he's going for shock value. He's a pretentious asshole.

I never disliked him before, but tried to watch his latest show on Netflix, After Life, and it really just him acting like an ass.  And feeling justified in doing so.  I had to stop after an episode and a half.  Not funny, just annoying

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I never disliked him before, but tried to watch his latest show on Netflix, After Life, and it really just him acting like an ass.  And feeling justified in doing so.  I had to stop after an episode and a half.  Not funny, just annoying

Mr. Gervais's rep was enough to keep me from even attempting to watch a single thing I knew he'd be in so as not to give him the tiniest rating point from my end. 

• Love 2

I'll admit, the one game show personalty i could not stand, when i was younger, was Patrick Wayne on Tic Tac Dough(1990 version). He did suck big time, simply because of his constant yelling of "YOU'RE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!", "YOU BLOOOOOOOOOOCK!" and, most humiliatingly, "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!" But in recent times, i've softened my stance on him, simply in watching those eps, he wasn't as bad as i thought!

On the other hand, Pat Finn was pretty good on TJW 90. The only strike against him really was him droning "First definition... last definition" over and over which did  really got boring.

• Love 2