Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I find his appeal so perplexing! I have a friend who is obsessed to the point that she still doesn’t like Kristen Bell all these years later because she correctly pointed out that Logan and Veronica’s relationship was fucked up.

He's also gotten quite ... strange-looking as he went full swole mode.

(I was such an outspoken non-Logan-fan at the time, a Vox article on the VM revival recently linked to one of my old forum posts about it ... from 2005. Yikes.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, kieyra said:

He's also gotten quite ... strange-looking as he went full swole mode.

(I was such an outspoken non-Logan-fan at the time, a Vox article on the VM revival recently linked to one of my old forum posts about it ... from 2005. Yikes.)

That’s really cool. Do you still agree with what you said 14 years ago?

On 8/10/2019 at 7:59 AM, topanga said:

That’s really cool. Do you still agree with what you said 14 years ago?

Late response, but ...

When I looked at that old post, I saw that even then I had been trying to figure out why I was so hostile against Logan. At the time I was annoyed by the whole bad boy=hot trope. I do still find that annoying, but older me thinks I was really just sad to see a show centered on a strong female character get devoured by Logan fandom. The whole deal where Veronica even got in trouble with fans if she didn’t treat him right.

(Almost all anyone can talk about with the revival / season four is ... Logan.)

• Love 7
16 hours ago, kieyra said:

Late response, but ...

When I looked at that old post, I saw that even then I had been trying to figure out why I was so hostile against Logan. At the time I was annoyed by the whole bad boy=hot trope. I do still find that annoying, but older me thinks I was really just sad to see a show centered on a strong female character get devoured by Logan fandom. The whole deal where Veronica even got in trouble with fans if she didn’t treat him right.

(Almost all anyone can talk about with the revival / season four is ... Logan.)

I agree.  I liked Logan most in season 1, where he was the OPJ, but you could see how he got that way. And I liked the gentle flirtation and chemistry between him and Veronica. But yeah, in later seasons, LoVe took over the narrative and became more important to many fans than who Veronica was as a person, without Logan. 

Back on topic: I just discovered this guy a few days ago, and I already can't stand him: Scott Disick, who hosts "Flip It Like Disick." My first clue should have been that Kris Jenner produces the show. But I watched the pilot because I thought it was going to be about flipping multi-million dollar California homes. However, the flipping aspect makes up only about 10% of the show. The other 90% plays like a KUWTK spin-off, which I guess it is. 

So this guy Scott Disick is supposed to be a real estate agent, and he has a team that includes a contractor, an interior designer, another real estate agent, and someone else. I wonder if any of these people actually performs these jobs because I rarely see them doing any work. Disick will stand around an criticize the way a contractor is designing a stair case, for example, or he'll have a long lunch with Kris Jenner and talk about his latest project. The worst part of the show is that it's boring.

Seriously, the members of this "team" all stand around talking about how fabulous they are. Is this what people really do in Calabasas? I don't watch the Kardashians much, but that's exactly what their show is like. I will give the Kardiashian/Jenner family credit. Despite their superficiality, I occasionally see the sisters doing something related to their various business ventures.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Because I'm watching this new...revival, I guess is the word? Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth.

Do I have to explain why?

Sure. Explain why Jennie Garth, too? I always kinda liked her. 

• Love 2

I dislike someone, but not for a rational reason.   Busy Phillips, or how ever you spell it, looks so much like a college roommate of mine that I cringe whenever I see her.   It has nothing to do with the woman, but just that she's so identical to my ex-roomie that I can't stand it.     

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I dislike someone, but not for a rational reason.   Busy Phillips, or how ever you spell it, looks so much like a college roommate of mine that I cringe whenever I see her.   It has nothing to do with the woman, but just that she's so identical to my ex-roomie that I can't stand it.     

I don't think I've ever met your college roommate, but I can't stand Busy Phillips either. Her vocal fry, & the way she moves her jaw when she speaks make me crazy.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 9

The weirdest thing is since this whole vocal fry discussion started I have heard so much of it all over TV. Way more than should be normal. Is this something they do purposely? I'm old (70), don't get what is"cool/hot/whatever". It feels/sounds like it must hurt?

• Love 7
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't like Busy Phillips either, so you are not alone.  She reminds me of a grown up college party girl that never matured beyond those years. 

She is in some make up commercial right now and I have to almost change the channel when it comes on my TV. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I don't know why really, but I can't stand when Jeri Ryan pops up in shows I watch. I don't know anything about her, I just get a gut reaction when I see her face.

That is so funny.  I feel the same way and also have no idea why.

• Love 3

Jerry Springer- every single show seemed to revel in the most base and degrading aspects of humanity  (up to and including exploiting physically unconventional people as though they were sideshow freaks) yet he'd attempt to piously pretend that it served a higher purpose via his final thoughts. The most positive thing I can think to say about him is that he has a slightly less annoying voice than Geraldo Rivera! 

• Love 6
On ‎08‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I don't know why really, but I can't stand when Jeri Ryan pops up in shows I watch. I don't know anything about her, I just get a gut reaction when I see her face.

I watched Voyager.  I enjoyed Voyager, even though it really wasn't that great.  Then Jeri Ryan joined the cast as Seven of Nine, and it went horribly downhill because every other episode was about her character, and unfortunately she was a terrible actress.  So I stopped I watching.  I dislike her for that.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I feel you so hard on this.  I am the same way.  I am sure she is a lovely person.  But man, I don;t want to see her in my shows for some reason.  During my 11 million re-watches of Leverage I will always skip 1/2 of season 2 because that was when she took over temporarily as the Grifter while Gina Bellman was on maternity leave.  And it wasn't just because I don't like her generally but the character chemistry between the group felt really off.

• Love 3

Ugh, Alton Brown is back.  I loved Good Eats way back when, before I found out Brown is a racist, homophobic (and, let's face it, probably sexist, since there tends to be a trifecta among his kind) jerk, and could never just enjoy the science again.  Now, nearly ten years later, it's all "Ooh, Good Eats is back" out there and I wish it was with a host I could stomach watching, because it is and has always been a great concept, but I cannot and will not separate; he's too thoroughly intertwined with the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, Alton Brown is back.  I loved Good Eats way back when, before I found out Brown is a racist, homophobic (and, let's face it, probably sexist, since there tends to be a trifecta among his kind) jerk, and could never just enjoy the science again.  Now, nearly ten years later, it's all "Ooh, Good Eats is back" out there and I wish it was with a host I could stomach watching, because it is and has always been a great concept, but I cannot and will not separate; he's too thoroughly intertwined with the show.

I did not know all that about him but could not stand him for being annoying. Now I have better reasons to call him an ass. Thanks.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

The sad thing is that when he started out on the show, he was a funny, zany, quirky but likable person and the viewer could often learn useful stuffbut by the time the show ended- between hosting Iron Chef and Cutthroat Kitchen, he devolved into a rather meanspirited, snotty and downright cruel persona. Perhaps the latter was there all along (see Paula Deen) but I hated to see the positive person replaced by the one deliberately annoying and condescending (among other things). Oh, yes I heard about his disaster in Iowa and felt especially sorry for that preteen girl in the audience whose homelife was rather vilely speculated about ( and it could have been that the man who was with her father may have been an uncle or a platonic family friend but did the trio deserve to have that happen merely for having attended a show together?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

In retrospect, there were hints of his true character during Good Eats, like the treatment of his "sister", but I enjoyed the show enough to overlook them. It wasn't until Next Food Network Star (that was the title, right?) that I really started to dislike him. When I began watching that, I liked AB and didn't mind Giada de Laurentiis and really disliked Bobby Flay. By the time I gave up on it, I loathed AB and GD and liked Bobby.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Wow, I didn't know all that about Alton Brown. I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes of Good Eats, and while entertaining enough, it wasn't anything that made me seek it out and watch every episode. Dude sounds like a massive prick.

• Love 3
On ‎08‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, BlackberryJam said:

She was never a favorite, but I found myself warming up to her after finding out her political ex husband forced her to go to sex clubs. 

I did feel sorry for her about that.  I don't mind her as a person, from what little I've seen of her off Voyager.  I just hated her character.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, Bastet said:

I always hated Alton Brown. I got the vibe that he was arrogant prick from the original Good Eats series, you'd kind of have to be to do the show the way he did it.  The same goes for the host of America's Test Kitchen, Chris Kimball.  Arrogant smug jerk. If you don't like someone else's recipe, I get it.  Criticize it on its merits though.  Don't go hacking through it with a fork and knife and then claim to me that it's poorly made. Seriously turned me off of the dude.  For whatever reason I always find that moment of the show seriously disrespectful.  And then he claims he and his team have created the ULTIMATE recipe.  Problem is, they haven't.  What they have found is the least offensive recipe to a panel of taste testers. Those are not the same thing. I don't know those people, and I don't know their tastes. I may like my food more salty, or buttery, or flaky, or whatever.  I'm sure his food is a good choice for potlucks, but that doesn't mean it belongs in my rotation for an at home meal.

• Love 4

Watching "Guy's Grocery Games" reminds me how much I fucking DESPISE Melissa d'Arabian. She's obnoxious, rarely says anything positive, completely rubs me the wrong way, and frankly I don't think she's qualified to judge other people's food. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, scarletine said:

Watching "Guy's Grocery Games" reminds me how much I fucking DESPISE Melissa d'Arabian. She's obnoxious, rarely says anything positive, completely rubs me the wrong way, and frankly I don't think she's qualified to judge other people's food. 

Is she still on?! I've never forgotten or forgiven her for quite literally digging up her tragic mother's suicide to guilt those Next Food Network Star's judges into give her dish the advantage over the other contestants who merely were trying to cook good dishes. I mean, who hasn't had horrible tragedies in one's life and among one's family? I sure have but no way would I bring those up JUST to win points from judges instead of relying on my own skills!

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, piccadilly83 said:

I always hated Alton Brown. I got the vibe that he was arrogant prick from the original Good Eats series, you'd kind of have to be to do the show the way he did it.  The same goes for the host of America's Test Kitchen, Chris Kimball.  Arrogant smug jerk. If you don't like someone else's recipe, I get it.  Criticize it on its merits though.  Don't go hacking through it with a fork and knife and then claim to me that it's poorly made. Seriously turned me off of the dude.  For whatever reason I always find that moment of the show seriously disrespectful.  And then he claims he and his team have created the ULTIMATE recipe.  Problem is, they haven't.  What they have found is the least offensive recipe to a panel of taste testers. Those are not the same thing. I don't know those people, and I don't know their tastes. I may like my food more salty, or buttery, or flaky, or whatever.  I'm sure his food is a good choice for potlucks, but that doesn't mean it belongs in my rotation for an at home meal.

What turned me off permanently from him was when he was on one of his road trips and he tried to get a cook to give him her recipe. When she politely but firmly refused (perhaps due to wanting to keep having the means to maintain her livelihood), he then 'jokingly' faked having an allergic reaction so she'd have to give it to him. Thankfully, she SAW through it and didn't cave in. NOT FUNNY! BOO!!

Kyra Sedgwick -- her mouth slays me. I can't get past it and can't watch anything she is in because of it.

Jon Cryer. OMG that voice! make it stop. I can't turn the channel fast enough when I hear it -- therefore, I have never made it through an entire episode of Two and a Half Men.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, taanja said:

Kyra Sedgwick -- her mouth slays me. I can't get past it and can't watch anything she is in because of it.

OMG!  I thought it was just me.  I cannot stand to look at that mouth, which is why I never watch anything she's in.

Another person I can't stand is Andy Cohen.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

OMG!  I thought it was just me.  I cannot stand to look at that mouth, which is why I never watch anything she's in.

Her character on The Closer got called out for it. Chief Johnson started out the series wearing bright red lipstick which made her wide thin lips look like an open knife wound, but after a makeup artist she interviewed during an early case made some suggestions, she lightened up the color and thickness of it for the rest of the series. It made a difference.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Her character on The Closer got called out for it. Chief Johnson started out the series wearing bright red lipstick which made her wide thin lips look like an open knife wound, but after a makeup artist she interviewed during an early case made some suggestions, she lightened up the color and thickness of it for the rest of the series. It made a difference.

Wow, that's interesting.  Still can't stand to look at her though. 😃 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Another person I can't stand is Andy Cohen.

I agree, Kyra's mouth is very odd. She seems to have a lot of ticks with regard to her mouth that makes watching her speak painful for me.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I agree, Kyra's mouth is very odd. She seems to have a lot of ticks with regard to her mouth that makes watching her speak painful for me.

But this is physical trait, that most often we have no control over.  It’s a form of body shaming IMO.

• Love 10

I actually like Kyra but I can't watch The Closer because of her accent. It assaults my ears. This is coming from a person that suffered through many a bad accent on The Walking Dead so that just tells you how much hers irritates me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Steve Harvey and Drew Carey. For me, the both of them ruined 2 of my all time favorite game shows I can't watch anymore because they host.

I don't watch Drew Carey, but I totally agree about Steve Harvey.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Steve Harvey and Drew Carey. For me, the both of them ruined 2 of my all time favorite game shows (The Price Is Right and Family Feud) I can't watch anymore because they host.

I like Drew Carey on The Price is Right.  Steve Harvey and Louie Anderson are probably tied for my least fave FF hosts.  Ray Combs was my fave.  Richard Dawson is too kissy. Famous or not, I would never kiss a stranger on the lips.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Ray Combs was my fave.  Richard Dawson is too kissy. Famous or not, I would never kiss a stranger on the lips.

I really liked Ray Combs too. Richard was probably my favorite, without the kissing. I don't like the way The Price Is Right has changed since Drew took over.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I really liked Ray Combs too. Richard was probably my favorite, without the kissing. I don't like the way The Price Is Right has changed since Drew took over.

There was an episode of Dawson'a Feud on Buzzr awhile back where he said he had announced on a previous show that he was going to stop with the kissing which resulted in letters pouring in telling him not to.

• Useful 3
On 9/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, roamyn said:

But this is physical trait, that most often we have no control over.  It’s a form of body shaming IMO.

Could  be? *shrugs* I still refuse to watch anything with Kyra Sedgwick. Yes I am petty.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3