Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

Okay, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this because I have nothing personal against Julie Kavner....but I CANNOT STAND her Marge Simpson voice. It mewls and brays like a damn donkey. But again, I might be biased because I loathe Marge and the stuff the writers make her say.

• Love 3

I know I'm old, but I don't understand a thing about the above. What are "cons"?  Why is one person talking to herself?  What are the numbers and /s all about?  Who are these people and should I care?  (Actually, I know the answer to the last one.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I know I'm old, but I don't understand a thing about the above. What are "cons"?  Why is one person talking to herself?  What are the numbers and /s all about?  Who are these people and should I care?  (Actually, I know the answer to the last one.)

Happy New Year!

'Cons' is short for 'conventions'- specifically those 'meet and greet' deals in which the public (for X dollars) can get hear war stories from podiums, get autographs and related merchandise and maybe get to say a sentence or two to their favorite celebs from vintage TV shows, movies,sports and now 'Net & podcasts  . These started out as strictly sci-fi then horror but they evolved over time to include virtually all shows with one-time popularity. These reached a peek of popularity shortly before our current affliction sidelined all participants but, hopefully, in X number of months those interested can get restarted. 

The above Twitter quote somewhat zeroes in on 'reality show' participants as the ones in said cons as the most consistently rude and most entitled of those who (before the pandemic) considered cons to be a good part of their livelihood- and I can somewhat see how this can happen. Often rude and entitled behavior oncamera is encouraged by the producers,etc. to gain ratings so it could be that the participants simply have decided to give the public at these wing dings what they'd like to believe the public wants! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Happy New Year!

'Cons' is short for 'conventions'-

Thanks for taking the time to respond!  Now I have my first New Year's resolution -- don't attend a "con"!

Happy New Year everyone.!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond!  Now I have my first New Year's resolution -- don't attend a "con"!

Happy New Year everyone.!

I'd loved to have tried Comic Con in San Diego just once--especially back when the Marvel movies were at the height of popularity.  It's insanely popular and really tough to get tickets.  This is a humorous look at what it's like:

Kind of like back in the day when you either had to stand in line all night, or continually hit redial on the phone for several minutes, to get tickets to an upcoming concert by a really popular band. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd loved to have tried Comic Con in San Diego just once--especially back when the Marvel movies were at the height of popularity.  It's insanely popular and really tough to get tickets.  This is a humorous look at what it's like:

Kind of like back in the day when you either had to stand in line all night, or continually hit redial on the phone for several minutes, to get tickets to an upcoming concert by a really popular band. 

It was even more fun before push-button phones.  That 1-800 takes a loooooong time on a rotary phone!

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Although I would entirely agree that this reprehensible on the part of Kirk Cameron, no one is forcing anyone to go to these events, so its on the participants that show up just as much as it is on Kirk. Without any celebrity encouragement, thousands of people went to mask-less large gatherings last night so stupidity is not particularly attached to either fame or religion.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Although I would entirely agree that this reprehensible on the part of Kirk Cameron, no one is forcing anyone to go to these events, so its on the participants that show up just as much as it is on Kirk. Without any celebrity encouragement, thousands of people went to mask-less large gatherings last night so stupidity is not particularly attached to either fame or religion.

It's not just them, it's everyone else they'll come into contact with. If someone from my household went to one of these events, I'd be changing the locks. Thankfully I live alone in another, more sensible, country.

• Love 17

I've never watched Mads in any of his American stuff, just Danish comedies, so I'm always bemused when people talk about him as super intense. He's usually a complete dumbass (though an incredibly entertaining one) in Danish comedies. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Zella said:

I've never watched Mads in any of his American stuff, just Danish comedies, so I'm always bemused when people talk about him as super intense. He's usually a complete dumbass (though an incredibly entertaining one) in Danish comedies. 

The only things I've actually watched him in were a couple of Scottish indie films, one where he played a sympathetic but slightly odd doctor and one incredibly weird film involving Vikings getting lost on the way to the Holy Land (I think - it was a pretty incomprehensible movie, and I'm not talking about the accents.)  The concept of him playing a dumbass in comedies is amusing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The only things I've actually watched him in were a couple of Scottish indie films, one where he played a sympathetic but slightly odd doctor and one incredibly weird film involving Vikings getting lost on the way to the Holy Land (I think - it was a pretty incomprehensible movie, and I'm not talking about the accents.)  The concept of him playing a dumbass in comedies is amusing.

I've mostly watched him in Anders Thomas Jensen movies. My favorite is The Green Butchers (which is the sweetest movie you'll ever watch about cannibals), and I'm not even sure words can describe his character, except to say that he plays a very socially awkward butcher whose tremendous self-esteem is . . . not in proportion to his abilities. I still laugh my head off every time I think of certain scenes from that movie. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
On 1/13/2021 at 4:06 PM, Shannon L. said:

Yeah, but it made him the perfect actor to play Hannibal Lector. 

Yeah, when that show came out I was like, "Sounds about right."

Even if he were playing a dumbass, I imagine he'd be a creepy dumbass.

• Love 2
On 1/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, proserpina65 said:

Did the ending of the latter film involve them being in what I think was America and getting killed by the Native population?

4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I second that emotion. Like Joy Behar, I didn't miss her at all.

Yes! Someone needs to tell The View PTB that the likable, heroic Senator McCain has been deceased for over two years now so there's no chance they'd hurt his feelings by ridding the show of his annoying, grating and ,intolerant  daughter- and they won't  have to worry about him being stuck at home with having to endure her rants either! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I can’t stand Joy Behar.

She’s the worst of that bunch.

That whole show has not one redeeming quality and should have been cancelled when Barbara Walters stopped appearing regularly. It boggles my mind that it’s still around.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I can’t stand Joy Behar.

I consider her to be slightly less unlikable than Miss McCain. Slightly. 

But,then again, IMO The View has rarely if ever had any even vaguely likable folks moderating it (and Miss Walters was NEVER a peach by any means) so how it lasted 23 weeks much less 23 years, I will never understand! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I consider her to be slightly less unlikable than Miss McCain. Slightly. 

But,then again, IMO The View has rarely if ever had any even vaguely likable folks moderating it (and Miss Walters was NEVER a peach by any means) so how it lasted 23 weeks much less 23 years, I will never understand! 

Meredith Viera moderated for the View's first 10 years or so and I found her very likable.

• Love 8
On ‎01‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 5:46 PM, dalek said:

Did the ending of the latter film involve them being in what I think was America and getting killed by the Native population?

Yes, I think that's what was happening.  I would never have watched it if there hadn't been an actor I liked in it, and I am so, so sorry I did.  It was not worth it.  (Valhalla Rising was the name of the movie.)

I saw a promo for Ellen on January  26th in which she was celebrating her own birthday. Not the most  bashful or modest way but. . .whatever .

However, what got me was that she bragged  'you know how I love to scare people [for laughs]'.

I mean, after ALL the recent flak Miss Degeneres got over it being apparent that she's not as nice to her staff or others as she had wanted the public to think, one would think she'd at least have quit doing that openly instead of bragging about that character trait as though it's something everyone is expected to think is cute, clever and adorable.

I always thought that folks who considered scaring others to be fun for themselves to be cruel and sadistic bullies.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

I saw a promo for Ellen on January  26th in which she was celebrating her own birthday. Not the bashful or modest way but. . .whatever .

However, what got me was that she bragged  'you know how I love to scare people [for laughs]'.

I mean, after ALL the recent flak Miss Degeneres got over it being apparent that she's not as nice to her staff or others as she had wanted the public to think, one would think she'd at least have quit doing that openly instead of bragging about that character trait as though it's something everyone is expected to think is cute, clever and adorable.

I always thought that folks who considered scaring others to be fun for themselves to be cruel and sadistic bullies.

That's why I quit watching her show and won't watch the game show.  She has a mean streak and enjoys terrorizing people for laughs.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

David Boreanaz. Any man that cheats on his wife while she is pregnant is scum. Especially when you find out that he was texting his mistress(Rachel Uchetel) while in the delivery room with his wife. 

Classy :/. 

• Love 10
On 1/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, katie9918 said:
On 1/24/2021 at 3:59 PM, Stats Queen said:

I can’t stand Joy Behar.

She’s the worst of that bunch.

That entire show of hateful, vapid women needs to go up in smoke.  And take the screechy Samantha Bee with them.  I don't watch her show, but I can't avoid the commercials while we're watching TBS On Demand that I just can't mute fast enough. 

13 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

David Boreanaz. Any man that cheats on his wife while she is pregnant is scum. Especially when you find out that he was texting his mistress(Rachel Uchetel) while in the delivery room with his wife. 

Ahhhh, I just about to re-read this topic title to make sure it's the actor and not their character we're fuming over.  As a SEALTeam viewer, I LOATHE his character who acts as if he's the be all and end all to team leaders

And actresses who just appear to try to hard to be likable or relatable, especially after committing faux pas and in need of reshaping their image.  Hillary Swank (when she forgot to thank her husband when accepting her Oscar) and Ann Hathaway (forgot the actual incident, but the irksomeness still lingers) are tops on my list for that.

• Love 5

I've mentioned this before, but the episode where Ellen terrified Emma Stone by pretending she was going to ask her to hold a tarantula on air was really unpleasant. On the surface it was funny - 'haha, Emma is scared of spiders and Ellen pretended the rubber one in the cage was real!' - but when you watch Emma's reactions, she's genuinely uncomfortable and unhappy with the prospect of being asked to hold it, while feeling unable to refuse.

Anyone who exploits the fears of another person for their own entertainment is someone I'll always look at with suspicion.

This is following on from a previous appearance where Ellen continually pried into Emma's relationship with Andrew Garfield, to the point that Emma told her to stop.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 6
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I've mentioned this before, but the episode where Ellen terrified Emma Stone by pretending she was going to ask her to hold a tarantula on air was really unpleasant. On the surface it was funny - 'haha, Emma is scared of spiders and Ellen pretended the rubber one in the cage was real!' - but when you watch Emma's reactions, she's genuinely uncomfortable and unhappy with the prospect of being asked to hold it, while feeling unable to refuse.

Anyone who exploits the fears of another person for their own entertainment is someone I'll always look at with suspicion.

This is following on from a previous appearance where Ellen continually pried into Emma's relationship with Andrew Garfield, to the point that Emma told her to stop.

I am still really surprised that she was allowed to continue her show given the information that came out regarding hers and her producers behavior behind the scenes. The tales behind the scenes of her show were horrific and on top of that I found her apology pretty weak.

The only reason I can think of is the money. No way a lesser show gets to continue.

• Love 11

I never liked Ellen's personality--I always thought she came across as fake nice and mean-spirited. I loved when Taylor Johnson called her on her shit on her own show. 

While we're listing things Ellen was awful about: bullying Mariah Carey into a premature pregnancy announcement she didn't want to make:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/2020/09/02/mariah-carey-ellen-degeneres-miscarriage-needled-pregnancy/113649366/

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

I never liked Ellen's personality--I always thought she came across as fake nice and mean-spirited

I liked her sitcom (the first one) but never liked her. I thought her coming out was a good thing and hoped it paved the way for others but I still didn't like her.  When she got her talk show and it became a big hit I just didn't get it. I still don't get it.  I look at her think don't other people see what I see.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

I liked her sitcom (the first one) but never liked her. I thought her coming out was a good thing and hoped it paved the way for others but I still didn't like her.  When she got her talk show and it became a big hit I just didn't get it. I still don't get it.  I look at her think don't other people see what I see.

I didn't watch her sitcom--I was a kid when it was on--so I will admit my only exposure to her is through her talk show, not any of her acting jobs or even her standup. 

8 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I followed a similar path with Rosie O'Donnell

I've always liked Rosie. But yes she does have some serious deep rooted issues. But like you with Ellen I have empathy for her.    And I think Rosie recognizes she  has issues.  Doesn't mean she has fixed them but I do think she has tried.  Not sure Ellen thinks she has ever done anything wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I guess I have soft spots for Rosie and Ellen because they were/are funny without being crude. I can and do appreciate pretty out there humor, but it just seems like comedy has devolved into who can say the most disgusting lowest denominator humor, for men and women on the stage. Not all of them, but enough where I am usually disappointed and stop watching mid viewing of their routines.

I just realized your screen name.  I loved ATWT.  The mid 80s to early 90s ATWT was my all time favorite soap opera.  Loved Lucinda Walsh.

I had a love/hate relationship with Joan Rivers. She was very funny but she could be mean as a snake. 

10 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

That is why I can't stand Ali Wong. My first experience with her was her comedy routine. She went into cringe for me when she repeatedly would demonstrate how to lick a butt hole during one of her routines, to show how prudish her mother was. And now I can't see anything else but her doing that when I see her.

I've never watched Ali Wong but I do think some female comics think they have to be gross to get attention.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I've always liked Rosie. But yes she does have some serious deep rooted issues. But like you with Ellen I have empathy for her.    And I think Rosie recognizes she  has issues.  Doesn't mean she has fixed them but I do think she has tried.  Not sure Ellen thinks she has ever done anything wrong.

I've always been I could take her or leave her with Ellen.  But, I just always found Rosie so over-the-top loud.  I saw her on Star Search a million years ago before anybody knew who she was and I remember thinking she should tone it down a bit.  the joke she told was funny.  But she literally yelled the whole thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

The worst Ellen segment was when she and Michelle Obama went shopping at CVS. At the end Michelle said in a kidding-but-totally-not-kidding way "You are like a very annoying person."

I was watching some Michelle Obama videos a few months ago and came across that one.  I only made it about halfway through, because Ellen's behavior kept making me cringe.  Yes, I understand that everything was prearranged with the store, but she acted like a particularly ill-behaved toddler (and, indeed, Obama kept telling her "don't do that" like an exasperated mom).  The joke was supposed to be that the Obamas were going to have to adjust to being "regular" people again, so on a shopping trip Michelle would be a bit of a fish out of water navigating mundane things she hadn't been part of for eight years.  Of course it would be exaggerated for humor.  But Ellen's antics were too much.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was watching some Michelle Obama videos a few months ago and came across that one.  I only made it about halfway through, because Ellen's behavior kept making me cringe.  Yes, I understand that everything was prearranged with the store, but she acted like a particularly ill-behaved toddler (and, indeed, Obama kept telling her "don't do that" like an exasperated mom).  The joke was supposed to be that the Obamas were going to have to adjust to being "regular" people again, so on a shopping trip Michelle would be a bit of a fish out of water navigating mundane things she hadn't been part of for eight years.  Of course it would be exaggerated for humor.  But Ellen's antics were too much.

Ellen's guests often seem rather uncomfortable around her. There's a weird vibe. Like with Michelle Obama you could tell she was kidding but she wasn't kidding all the times she told Ellen "stop that." 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I never liked Ellen's personality--I always thought she came across as fake nice and mean-spirited. I loved when Taylor Johnson called her on her shit on her own show. 

While we're listing things Ellen was awful about: bullying Mariah Carey into a premature pregnancy announcement she didn't want to make:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/2020/09/02/mariah-carey-ellen-degeneres-miscarriage-needled-pregnancy/113649366/

Let me get this straight: First Miss Degeneres whined about not being invited to Miss Johnson's birthday party, then Miss Johnson said Miss Degeneres HAD been invited but didn't show AND that she had previously whined about not having been invited the previous year. It seemed Miss Degeneres wanted to keep up the pretense that Miss Johnson hadn't invited her  to the most recent party until her own producers said that Miss Johnson did indeed invite her . After ALL that, then Miss Degeneres finally admitted that she had missed the party but lamely said that 'Malibu' was just too far for her to venture. SO much wrong here. First of all, no one is obligated be invited to anyone else's party. Period. Then, after she threw a big stink about not having been previously invited, they DID invite her but she blew them off. Rather than just say 'I'm sorry that I missed your party'Miss Degeneres lied through her teeth and tried to make it seem  like she was Poor Cinderella and Miss Johnson was her Wicked Stepsister.  

For her own producer to have backed Miss Johnson's side instead of Miss Degeneres's side makes me think that this producer may have fed up with having to try to spin her boss's lies (and that it got broadcast makes me think that they knew Miss Johnson wasn't going to be quiet about this huge slander while attempting to smear her rep ). Yes, I think that Miss Degeneres likely had pushed her too far one time too many. 

I wonder if Miss Johnson would appreciate how the late Miss Esther Williams evidently managed to outflank Barbara Walters during an interview in 1984  in which the latter attempted to broadside Miss Williams with old dirty laundry. As Miss Williams recounted in her autobio, Miss Walters attempted to rehash some scandal an ex-husband had put her through and asked her reaction. To which Miss Williams cooly replied,  " I don't know. How did you feel about your father putting  underdressed  girls   on stage?"

Immediately one of the camera crew said that there was a 'lighting problem' and that they'd have to start the interview over. They did, and Miss Walters didn't attempt to put Miss Williams on the spot again during the interview.  Miss Walters didn't seem to attempt to dispute Miss Williams's account so I think there's a good probability that this is what happened. Now, I can't imagine that Miss Walters was the most easygoing or pleasant employer . However, she  still managed to somehow muster enough loyalty from her crew for them to quickly cover for her to give her (and Miss Williams) the chance to save face. .. but Miss Degeneres seemed to have already overspent whatever reserves of loyalty her producer may have had. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 2/13/2021 at 3:10 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Ellen's guests often seem rather uncomfortable around her. There's a weird vibe. Like with Michelle Obama you could tell she was kidding but she wasn't kidding all the times she told Ellen "stop that." 

I don't watch her show, but I've seen various clips with different celebs and most of them seem to have a determinedly cheerful, 'let's just get through this without looking like a miserable spoilsport' attitude. Forcing laughs at Ellen's jokes, playing along with her games etc.

She's such an institution of that sort of light entertainment, chat show, publicity circuit that they probably feel like they have to go on her show and make nice.

Contrast that with someone like Conan or Colbert (and Craig Ferguson, when he had a show), where it seems clear the guests are genuinely enjoying themselves and want to be there.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 15
17 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't watch her show, but I've seen various clips with different celebs and most of them seem to have a determinedly cheerful, 'let's just get through this without looking like a miserable spoilsport' attitude. Forcing laughs at Ellen's jokes, playing along with her games etc.

She's such an institution of that sort of light entertainment, chat show, publicity circuit that they probably feel like they have to go on her show and make nice.

Contrast that with someone like Conan or Colbert (and Craig Ferguson, when he had a show), where it seems clear the guests are genuinely enjoying themselves and want to be there.

Mrs. Obama sure didn't deserve to be treated like that and let's hope  that Mrs. Obama has advised Dr. Biden to be sure to always 'have too busy a schedule' to make any appearances on Miss Degeneres's show. 

• Love 8