Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

So do we think the wardrobe department meticulously put together the full linen ensembe that Odin was wearing in Norway? Or was that just what Anthony Hopkins rolled up in, and they decided to run with it? 

"Uhhhh... Here's a tweed eye patch. That kind of goes with what you're wearing"

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 11

At the showing that I attended, the audience picked up the coliseum's "Hulk! Hulk! Hulk!" chant. None of us went with "Thunder! Thunder!" though. Not that we weren't cheering for Thor; it's just not that good a thing to chant. Better than "Thor! Thor!" would be, but not by much. TH sounds do not a good chant make. (Back when I was in high school chorus, and we had to do vocal exercises, our director would lead us through every consonant as we did "Moe muh May muh Moo muh Mee muh Mah Mah" drills. The exercise finished whenever we did the TH ones: we sounded like a roomful of tuneful Tweety Birds and we all cracked up.)

• Love 3

"I've been falling for 30 minutes!" cracked me up! I love me some Loki (see avatar). I also loved the scene when Thor sees Loki while strapped to the chair and they have a whisper arguement. In pops Jeff Goldblum "why are you whispering?"

• Love 8

I loved so much about this movie - the music was amazing (although I am shocked that my 36-year-old son did not know who Mark Mothersbaugh is!), the cinematography was vivid and I loved the snappy, quippy dialogue.  Some of the best moments were sight gags, like Banner trying to hold up the Hulk pants that were swimming on him, the framing of the shot when Banner walks next to Thor (pointing out the height discrepancy), and so much more.  I'm going to have to see this one again. 

What  stood out for me was the Thor/Loki relationship.  This was the only film that really gave the impression that they are brothers first and adversaries second.  My brother and I have shtick that we do regularly, although none on the level of "Get Help".  We're gonna have to step up our game!  

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I didn't read the book or see the movies, but was I supposed to think of Hunger Games when Thor and the Hulk were fighting?  Something about Jeff's announcing the bout reminded me of the HG trailer.

It reminded me of Vince McMahon announcing WWE matches.

• Love 3

I finally remembered what I really hated in the movie--the fresco on the ceiling that Hela destroys that depicted Odin, Frigga, Thor and Loki with the weird halos. I really liked the illuminated text from Dark World and the library. But I really did not like the ceiling with the halos. It didn't seem to fit into Asgard, either. It was weird. The wacky and weird and colorful on Sakaar was awesome. The Valkyries meeting Hela was stunning. Even Surtur in the beginning was cool. But that ceiling just seemed wrong.

Small thing: I was thinking back to the first Thor movie and the operation of the Bifrost, and I think they retconned the operation a bit.  I think Loki was able to operate the Bifrost using the scepter/spear and not the sword.

13 hours ago, attica said:

None of us went with "Thunder! Thunder!" though. Not that we weren't cheering for Thor; it's just not that good a thing to chant.

I think you would have to go full AC/DC to pull off "Thunder" as a hero chant, though "Thunderstruck" is too on the nose for a Thor theme song.  Immigrant Song was used perfectly.

Edited by MisterGlass
Change of phrasing.
  • Love 5

I love this movie. It was weird and I don’t think I’ve ever felt so many different emotions while watching a movie. 

I have always loved Thor(I love all my Marvel heroes)my love just went up so many levels with this movie. I liked how Thor was so wise in this movie. Him being one step ahead of Loki’s game made me so happy. I loved his lightening powers it was everything I ever wanted and more. I still miss Mjolnir. I loved all his relationships in this movie. I’m not a Loki fan but I loved him and this movie and him and Thor’s relationship was bittersweet. Thor fangurling over Valkyrie was cute and I loved Bruce/Hulks relationship with Thor. I was so worried that we wouldn’t get any emotional moments with all the comedy in this movie but we got so many and I wasn’t ready.

What I really liked about this movie were the themes of anti imperialism, how revisionist of history is bad, family abandonment, slavery, immigration etc. Hela was amazing,I loved her speaking truths, one of my favorite scenes was her mentioning the golden throne and how she said something along the lines of “Proud to have it, but not how you gained it” and how everything was lies and built on the blood and bones of civilizations her and Odin destroyed. 

My favorite minor character was Skruge and how he wasn’t a bad guy and how he went out fighting for Asgard. Heimdall was a great character and along with Valkyrie I hope it won’t be the last time we see them. Asgard perishing was heartbreaking and seeing so many bodies fall, especially the Warriors 3 ~sigh~ I wasn’t ready. 

A really great film and so ready to see it again. 

Edited by Jazzy24
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I finally remembered what I really hated in the movie--the fresco on the ceiling that Hela destroys that depicted Odin, Frigga, Thor and Loki with the weird halos. I really liked the illuminated text from Dark World and the library. But I really did not like the ceiling with the halos. It didn't seem to fit into Asgard, either. It was weird. The wacky and weird and colorful on Sakaar was awesome. The Valkyries meeting Hela was stunning. Even Surtur in the beginning was cool. But that ceiling just seemed wrong.

The halos are a art style used to represent holy or sacred figures (mainly but not exclusively in old Christian artwork).  See https://photos.app.goo.gl/RTnih3UIt9FRlRCq1 which is an example of what they were going for.  It seems they cribbed a bunch from Medieval/Renaissance artwork for both of the murals (Hela's being a more medieval style with the Thor and Loki one being more Renaissance).  

As for the movie itself, I loved it.  It was a great blend of humor and pathos.  Odin was really the emotional core of the movie which is funny considering how little time he was in the movie.  Grandmaster was pure Jeff Goldblum in all the right ways.  Hela was fun and I liked how in the end they couldn't actually beat her.  Valkyrie was a nice addition and all the team-ups were fun.  Easily one of my favorite Marvel movies (and movies in general). 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I’m not a Loki fan but I loved him and this movie and him and Thor’s relationship was bittersweet.

This was exactly me too.  And I think this was the biggest surprise for me in the movie.  I've always viewed Loki as a straight up villain, with some interesting layers/motivations, but I've never liked the character (maybe because of how well TH plays him) and wasn't interested in any kind of 'redemption' arc for him.  But I've always viewed him from an Earth-human perspective and from that perspective, I think he is still a villain.  But this movie allowed me to view him from an Asgardian perspective, and in that context, I can see how Thor and Odin view him more as an errant child that periodically disappoints them, rather than a malicious villain.  Thor's snake story in particular, and the way he told that did that for me... I still view Loki as a petulant child, but can see him as not straight up evil now.  And I appreciated very much that his past deeds weren't dismissed or minimized, but they did initiate some much needed character growth in Thor.  

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

This was exactly me too.  And I think this was the biggest surprise for me in the movie.  I've always viewed Loki as a straight up villain, with some interesting layers/motivations, but I've never liked the character (maybe because of how well TH plays him) and wasn't interested in any kind of 'redemption' arc for him.  But I've always viewed him from an Earth-human perspective and from that perspective, I think he is still a villain.  But this movie allowed me to view him from an Asgardian perspective, and in that context, I can see how Thor and Odin view him more as an errant child that periodically disappoints them, rather than a malicious villain.  Thor's snake story in particular, and the way he told that did that for me... I still view Loki as a petulant child, but can see him as not straight up evil now.  And I appreciated very much that his past deeds weren't dismissed or minimized, but they did initiate some much needed character growth in Thor.  

Loki has been revamped over the years in the comics. After getting killed in Siege, Thor brought him back as a child, and he's grown up to be more mischievous than outright evil.

Did we need Doctor Strange? At least give us Wong walking by, rolling his eyes as if to say, "I don't know this, I don't want to know about this."

• Love 4

The thing I'm curious about is why Odin changed his ways (assuming we take Hela's word for it).  Did anyone notice if Odin had both eyes, because in Norse mythology, Odin sacrificed his eye to gain wisdom and that perhaps is the cause of the change.  Or maybe Frigga's influence. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Matt K said:

The thing I'm curious about is why Odin changed his ways (assuming we take Hela's word for it).  Did anyone notice if Odin had both eyes, because in Norse mythology, Odin sacrificed his eye to gain wisdom and that perhaps is the cause of the change.  Or maybe Frigga's influence. 

Oh, great thought I wish I could remember if he had both eyes in the original mural.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:
7 hours ago, Matt K said:

Oh, great thought I wish I could remember if he had both eyes in the original mural.

He did have both eyes. (I was wondering if Hela had a habit of removing eyes from relatives she didn't like).

On 06/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, Traveller519 said:

So do we think the wardrobe department meticulously put together the full linen ensembe that Odin was wearing in Norway? Or was that just what Anthony Hopkins rolled up in, and they decided to run with it?

Am I the only one getting the Dirk Gently reference here?

Odin left in a nursing home, bedecked in linens?

• Love 2

I'm with the writer of that article, Dee. I was fully over the MCU and was just waiting for superhero movies to please please please die eventually~... but I also have moviepass, and I figured why not go if it's essentially free? And I'm glad I went because I absolutely adored Tessa as Valkyrie. Her on screen entrance had me rolling. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

In a field of fine actors, I want to give a shout-out to Karl Urban.  The scene where Skurge faces the reality of being Hela's executioner -- no dialog, but none needed.

I've loved Karl Urban since Lord of the Rings. First time I saw him was as Cupid on Xena (hello!) but, what sealed me on Urban was Bones. I remember when he was cast, I hated it, no way could the guy who played Eomer be a convincing Bones McCoy and, yet he blew me away, perfect casting.

I really hope Karl Urban gets a chance to lead a hit movie/TV show (one day). His turn as Dread was fantastic, I loved him in Almost Human but, both failed. 

I didn't know who Skurge was until someone mentioned his storyline and I googled the comics. I knew in advance what would happen but, I still loved every minute of his onscreen evolution. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I've loved Karl Urban since Lord of the Rings. First time I saw him was as Cupid on Xena (hello!) but, what sealed me on Urban was Bones. I remember when he was cast, I hated it, no way could the guy who played Eomer be a convincing Bones McCoy and, yet he blew me away, perfect casting.

I really hope Karl Urban gets a chance to lead a hit movie/TV show (one day). His turn as Dread was fantastic, I loved him in Almost Human but, both failed. 

I didn't know who Skurge was until someone mentioned his storyline and I googled the comics. I knew in advance what would happen but, I still loved every minute of his onscreen evolution. 

I loved Karl Urban in RED and wished they would spin off his character into a series of movies.

• Love 2

I'm still not sure if I liked this movie. I do know I still think Chris Hemsworth is not a good actor. That's right, I said it. And I ain't a bit sorry. I think he's used a different accent for Thor in every stinking movie.

And I still know that without Loki or TH, I wouldn't have bothered. I typically HATE comic book movies. And I haaaate the self righteous "Avengers". Like white hot hate. I love the Hulk though-he was my favorite TV hero as a kid. I even named a pet after him. I adore Tom Hiddleston, and I always enjoy Loki-he's one of the only interesting characters in this universe. But something about him, and indeed everyone, was just.....OFF. Someone said somewhere that it was like they had no relation to any prior incarnation of their characters in any film, and I think that's pretty close to the truth.

Honestly, for the first thirty minutes, I was like "what the CRAP am I watching? " . Had I been by myself, I might have left, and I've only ever walked out of ONE movie in my life (though to be fair, many more movies would have deserved it if I did walk out of them). But I wasn't alone, and I stayed, and I actually ended up SORT OF liking it. But...sort of being apathetic to it, and at times, hating it.

I think comedy is the wrong way to go with these characters. They are Shakespearean for a reason. And perhaps that's why I liked it more as it went along-towards the end, that type of atmosphere was more present than in the ridiculous beginning. I mean, Loki(as Odin) staging a PLAY with actors, and Thor had never heard of this from ANYONE ? Come on now. Ridiculous. Just utter stupidity. And not funny stupidity, either.

Bonuses: NO SIF OR JANE. That alone made me happy. I liked the Valkyrie. I liked Heimdall and Loki (sort of-still not sure how I feel about him in this movie), liked Karl Urban, don't give a crap about Doctor Strange (and I normally really admire BC, but OH PLEASE. No, thank you to that character). I enjoyed many of the supporting characters, and Jeff Goldblum was obviously having a ball. Cate Blanchett. Eh. Too one note to me.

Anthony Hopkins was okay I guess, I've just been over Odin for ages.

Overall again, still not sure how I feel. I do think I won't change my mind that making it more humorous was not a good direction.It makes the focus of the movie, making people laugh, when the focus of the movies before has been the complexities of the characters and their relationships. And no, I don't think you can equally do both and make it a have a good, consistent flow. Comedies can have dramatic moments and vice versa, but a comedy isn't heavy on character, and that is mainly what I was missing here. The few dramatic moments felt tacked on and flat and just.....vanilla and shrugworthy.

And them being on a spaceship at the end ? Yeah, okay. That's not THOR. And therein I think, lies the main problem with the film.

Did love the small bits of Thor and Loki interaction we got. I always do-it's the ONLY reason, other than Loki himself, that I bother.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1

I can't get behind the positive reaction of this movie. Thor and Loki were essentially given personality transplants to make them "funny" and it just didn't gel with me. Their father died and they spend the next 90 minutes making joke after joke. This isn't Guardians of the Galaxy. 

Edited by wingster55
Because I do know the difference between there and their damn it!
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, wingster55 said:

I can't get behind the positive reaction of this movie. Thor and Loki were essentially given personality transplants to make them "funny" and it just didn't gel with me. There father died and they spend the next 90 minutes making joke after joke. This isn't Guardians of the Galaxy. 

True, but damned if the movie isn't trending way ahead of the original Thor. It's a sell out but it worked.

On 11/3/2017 at 3:53 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The cameos from Sam Neill, Luke Hemsworth, and Matt Damon were hilarious and unexpected.  Obviously, Luke was funny because he and Chris are brothers, but I wonder if Damon being Loki was because of Kevin Smith's Dogma, where he played a fallen angel named, yep, Loki.

The other layer is that when people got a load of Luke Hemsworth on West World, A LOT of people on Twitter commented that he looked more like Matt Damon than he did Chris or Liam.

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The other layer is that when people got a load of Luke Hemsworth on West World, A LOT of people on Twitter commented that he looked more like Matt Damon than he did Chris or Liam.

Luke Hemsworth AKA the Hemsworth brother that can act LOL. 

• Love 1

Oh yeah, that was as delightful as I hoped it would be. I've always liked Chris Hemsworth and found him to be an underrated actor, and this movie was a really good showcase for him. He got some good emoting in, and was quite badass with his lightning powers, but he also got to show his comedic chops,and he brought a real warmth and sense of fun to the role. Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, the shorter hair seriously works. My God that is an attractive man. 

The increase in humor worked well for me, mainly because I think the Thor stories work best being larger than life crazy magic/space stories with armies of the undead and alien warriors and crap like that. However, they did include some serious things, especially the death of Odin and his final conversation with his sons. Really, this movie made me rather more interested in Odin and his history, and his views of his family and empire. So he had another kid, and was a conqueror, but when he was done conquering, he got rid of his daughter who helped him conquer everything, and started protecting his worlds instead of protecting them. I mean, it makes sense (being space Vikings and all) but it still adds a lot of questions about Asgards history, and how much has been literally covered up. It also makes his anger at Thor in the first movie more interesting, as its fully possible he was afraid that he had another bloodthirsty conqueror on his hands. Also, Odin, when two of your three kids have become supervillains, and the one that didnt only became a hero after you sent him to another planet as some intergalactic walkabout, maybe the problem is you

Bruce/Hulk was in top form, Bruce being forced to cosplay as Tony! I just love Mark Ruffalo in this role so much, he really nails both "nerdy scientist" as well as "tortured hero suppressing his rage" perfectly, and it was great seeing him with Thor in this strange new world. Valkyrie was also awesome, and I cant wait to see more of her. She was a ton of fun, but I also got into her character arc, and thought she had great chemistry with the rest of the cast. It can be hard to be a new character interacting with established ones, but she fit in extremely well. 

This was also a great movie for Loki and the Loki/Thor dynamic. Is this really the time Loki sticks to the side of...maybe not good, but not totally evil? No clue. But he does seem to be truly sticking with his brother for now, which is basically as good as their relationship has ever been in this franchise. As to why, I think it has a lot to do with the conversation in the elevator, and Thor stopping Loki from betraying him yet again. I think that, despite Loki constantly betraying and trying to kill his brother, he always thought that Thor would give him another chance. He usually does, so why wouldn't he do it again? And even if he didn't, they would always be either brothers, or mortal enemies. They would always be the most important people in each others lives, for good or for bad. But here, Loki was hit by the fact that Thor has basically just given up on him, and cant even be bothered to care anymore. His speech to Loki after he electrified him was basically "I knew you would betray me because thats just how you are. I cant even be hurt anymore, its just the way it is. Now, Ive got crap to do, bye now" and left. That combined with him saying that being seperated was what Loki "wanted all along" really stung I think. Its the whole "the opporsite of love isnt hate, its indifference" thing. Loki could handle Thor hating him, but he hated the idea that his brother just didnt care about him anymore either way. 

• Love 17

There has got to be a way for the wonder that is Hela's headress to get its own Oscar.

Why do they want to take the Asgardian refugees to Midgard? Would they not be getting a warm welcome on Vanaheim?

When they were talking about the Devil's...er...bum I smiled when Thor got all technical and scientifiky about it with Banner - reminding us that he's not just some medievaloid brohunk.

• Love 12

I was watching Jeremy Jahns Spoiler Review of Thor and he mentioned something that I didn't think of. He thinks that Bruce Banner is officially dead in the MCU and that going forward we'll only have Hulk. He based it on Bruce saying that being under for 2 years and that if he goes under again he may never come back. He also pointed out that when Bruce hit the Rainbow Bridge he pretty much looked dead, dead.

I didn't even think about it at the time but, now I'm wondering what others think. Do you think Banner is dead, dead and Hulk is all that's left? Because that would make me sad, especially since we won't get a Tony/Bruce reunion

I don't think so. Bruce has almost died before and the Hulk refused to let him die (when he attempted suicide). If Bruce is dead, wouldn't Hulk also be dead? Since physically they inhabit the same body? I don't know much about the comics mythology though. 

Speaking of Hulk/Banner, I loved the scene when he saw Natasha's last transmission to him at the end of Age of Ultron (which it seemed like he ignored but apparently he didn't see it? From his reaction, it seemed like the first time he was seeing it) and he turned back into Bruce. The CGI was really good, I really saw the Hulk tear up and the emotion run across his face, though also props to MR for emoting in the motion capture. I'm most indifferently to Bruce/Natasha, but it was a powerful moment.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 9
On 11/6/2017 at 10:45 PM, MisterGlass said:

Small thing: I was thinking back to the first Thor movie and the operation of the Bifrost, and I think they retconned the operation a bit.  I think Loki was able to operate the Bifrost using the scepter/spear and not the sword.

Nope, it was the sword, I specifically recall him freezing it (and the lightning it was emitting) with the Cask of Ancient Winters after dialing up Jotunheim so it would be locked open until it blew up the planet.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Before I forget: "Mjonir" translated into English = "Magic Feather"?

Heh.  My first thought after Odin said the hammer was just a focus, was that Thor was Dumbo and the hammer was his feather!  

Edited by Wynterwolf

Finally saw it and really enjoyed it.  I understand why they went with a lighter tone.  Hemsworth was clearly having fun and he deserved it after being so somber in the past films.  I will miss Mjolnir, but wow does that lightning make up for it.

The family drama is one of my favorite themes of the Thor series.  The context of the elevator scene definitely stands out.  For Thor, it shows an remarkable amount of growth.  He doesn't hate Loki or wish him ill, he's just done with him.  Thor has a fulfilling life beyond his family, and he's tired of wondering what craziness his brother will do next.  So Loki moving to Sakaar only gets a shrug from Thor, as it should.  For Loki, this scene highlights his immaturity, his selfishness, and it also means an end to the only real connection he has to someone else.  I think Loki stopped wanting the throne a while ago and just wanted the attention.  Now he'll no longer have it from the person that matters, and it's a rude awakening for him.

I wish Odin had had this same poignancy.  Granted, the Loki-as-Odin was hilarious.  However, his death was moving but way too short.  Frankly, the whole Hela reveal was poorly executed.  So Odin has another child, but she's a murdering psychopath?  When did all this happen?  Did Frigga even know?  I'm assuming Odin had Hela before he married Frigga, because no way would Frigga had exiled her child like that.  While the juxtaposition that Asgard gained its fortune through corruptible means was interesting, Hela's existence is too large of a plot point to be done on the fly.  Blanchett made a good villain, but she was pretty 2 dimensional.  Walk in, destroy stuff and make a speech, rinse and repeat.

Also, it didn't help that Hela and Skurge were on Asgard the whole time while the real stuff was going on in Sakaar.  For the first time, I didn't care about seeing Asgard.  It was just too removed from everything else.  Even the stuff with Heimdall didn't really interest me.  Shame, because I'm glad that Idris Elba finally got some badass scenes.  

The way the Warriors 3 went out was bogus.  These aren't random Asgardians, they're Thor's best friends and Fandral didn't even get a line before he was slaughtered.  It really should have been them standing with Thor in the end.  They didn't even get a mention.  This felt like they were really trying to scrub this film of anything extra from the other films, but the Warriors 3 deserved better.  Guess I should be glad that Sif wasn't there.

Loved the Hulk.  Loved his newly formed speech, his childish temper, and his hilarious rapport with everyone.  So glad he was in this.  Question for those who read the comics, does this still lead to Planet Hulk?

Valkyrie...what can I say?  Such a badass and I can't wait to see more of her.  Loved how her fight scene mirrored her introduction, with her striding the Bifrost.  Only the second time, no drunken stumbling and she was proudly wearing her Valkryie armor.  Absolutely loved her.

Goldblum was perfection as the Grandmaster.  He might play the same character, but he nails it every time.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh yeah, that was as delightful as I hoped it would be. I've always liked Chris Hemsworth and found him to be an underrated actor, and this movie was a really good showcase for him. He got some good emoting in, and was quite badass with his lightning powers, but he also got to show his comedic chops,and he brought a real warmth and sense of fun to the role. Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, the shorter hair seriously works. My God that is an attractive man. 

I said this the moment I first saw his short hair. It makes him even more manly and sexy as hell. That shirtless scene was way too short, btw. He is a beautiful man.

• Love 9

I finally got to see this tonight after avoiding spoilers all week and I loved it! It was bright, funny, and just plain fun. I found the first two Thor movies just ok, but this one was awesome, and might be in my top five Marvel movies. There were some surprises for me: I didn't know Odin was going to die, I didn't realize Hela was actually Thor's sister, and I didn't expect Thor to lose an eye!

Some of my favorite humorous moments: Thor swinging in a circle on the chain in the beginning; Thor trying to unlock the jet with "Strongest Avenger", it failing, and then later working for Bruce; and Bruce jumping out of the ship expecting to turn into the Hulk but then face-planting on the bridge. And though I'm still not a Loki fan, I did laugh when he took delight in the Hulk knocking Thor around just like Hulk did to him.

I felt bad for both the Hulk and Bruce. Hulk was just being used as entertainment, and Bruce lost two whole years. I was wondering if they were going to address what happened with Bruce/Nat at the end of AoU, and I'm glad that they did. It was both sweet and sad that seeing her on the video screen was what brought Bruce back.

Valkyrie was a great addition, though I wish we got just bit more of her backstory. Hela was a fun villain; one of the better MCU villains, IMO. It's unfortunate that Asgard had to be destroyed, though. I figured there would be a last minute way to save it, but I appreciate that that can't always happen, and they managed to save the people, which is what really matters.

• Love 5

I finally saw it and can’t say enough about how much I loved it! Though I did scream NOOOO!!! (In my head of course), when the Warrior Three-Thor’s BEST FRIENDS, were killed without a second thought. At least Sif is still alive. But @Spartan Girl pretty much laid out what I loved about it.  Both me and my brother burst out ???? when Loki saw who the champion was that Thor was going to fight, and then getting up and taunting Thor about how it “feels” to be tossed around like a rag doll!!?????

Thor will get his eye back, right? RIGHT??!!

I recognized Damon right away. But alas, didn’t recognize Actor Odin. I ??? At Hopkins acting like Loki acting like Odin, but failing. I❤️❤️❤️??❤️❤️❤️ Tom Hiddleston and just love him and Hemsworth together. “GET HELP! GET HELP”

Me when I saw the shirtless (too short!!!) Thor:

FEB56744-8809-479F-ABEB-2B9312147BDA.jpeg

795B6616-8A87-4EC0-A28E-6675BE3A1BAC.gif

• Love 7
On 11/9/2017 at 7:53 AM, LadyAmalthea said:

Was it mentioned or implied who Hela’s mother was?  I assume it wasn’t Frigga. 

I don't recall the movie actually saying or implying who Hela's mother was.  But in remembering how rash and belligerent Thor was in the first movie that resulted in Odin sending him to Earth, I think Frigaa could have been Hela's mother as well.  In actual Norse mythology she was the daughter of Loki and a giantess named Angrboda.  When I first heard of Hela being the main villain I was wondering if the movie would keep the father /daughter relationship of Loki and Hela and surprised to find out she was going to be the big sister to Thor and Loki.  And after seeing all three Thor movies I noticed that the Asgardians really really love their capes.

Edited by AD35

Forgive me, but I forgot the ending. We saw Hela in the middle of Ragnarok. Perhaps she got out?

"Yes, I escaped 'The Twilight Of The Gods.' How? Well, Surtur might be a fiery demon and have the voice of Clancy Brown, but he was a total and utter bitch. Now, with my craving for vengeance and awesome canon-friendly head dress, I can rule the MCU once Thanos gets killed off. I mean, that's basically how 'Phase 4' starts, right? Or is it 'Phase 5'? I keep going online, but the damn horns get in front of my eyes."

• Love 4

I caught part of Dark World on tv last night and I forgot to mention in my original post that you can tell the Tom Hiddleston is improving his physical image an an attempt to be the next James Bond. The man has filled out substantially in a good way since the last movie.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that I was hoping that Thor would try the "Hey, big guy--the sun's getting low in the sky...." bit with Hulk and he did not disappoint!  lol!  It was another moment where Chris's comedic skills were evident. 

• Love 2

I freaking loved this movie. It was hilarious but man it did sneak some heavy shit in there, too. And holy crap was it filled with shout outs! One of my favorites was when Mjolnir was disguised as an umbrella and then when Hela appears on that cliff in Norway, Thor slams it on the ground and it shifts him and Loki into their regular battle gear. TOTAL shout out to Donald Blake and his walking stick.

Now, I'm just a gigantic fan of the MCU as a whole so I've seen almost everything repeatedly. (It's been crazy busy this year, I haven't seen GotG2 or Spider-Man: Homecoming yet but I'll get there.) So, I immediately recognized that it was Dr. Strange who took Loki. The tell-tale sparks of their teleportation rings gave it away. And, of course, then you had the Bleeker St. address. And I about died when Thor held his hand out for the 'umbrella' at the Sanctum Sanctorum and you just hear a lot of things breaking for about a minute. "Sorry."

I went with my brother, his wife and their three kids. My brother and I are two years apart and in our 40s so we definitely, immediately got the 'Pure Imagination' soundtrack as Thor was welcomed to Sakkar as well as Mark Mothersbaugh doing the music. No one else in the family got it but we were cackling like crazy on the opposite sides of the group. Also, my smart-as-a-whip, doesn't-miss-a-thing 11 year old niece really wanted me to explain the orgy joke. I just said 'You're not ready for that yet. When you watch this movie in a few years, you'll get it and it will be funny and movies you can get at different ages like that are a lot of fun.'

There was a shout out to Frog Thor! Eeee! God, the entire play was hilarious. 

Loki's reaction to Hulk being on Sakkar was so right on. Especially with Thor just going ON about how happy he was to see Hulk -- when it flashed over to Loki's 'oh fuck' face... just wonderful comedic timing, editing team!

I really like that Thor's development over the years has changed from boisterous bravado and a very quick temper to a more thoughtful guy but also one who is very confident in his abilities and still has that bravado to him. "That's what heroes do." And he's not a muscle bound idiot... he learns, hence Loki not being able to pull one over on him again. I loved that. I also loved their talk in the elevator. Thor loved Loki and probably still does but he's also done trying to get him to 'come back' because he knows that they can't go back to what they were. Loki had really drummed up this imagined hatred between them due to his own jealousy. To have Thor just say 'I thought the world of you and I thought we would fight side by side forever' really punched a hole in Loki's personal drama.

I did like that Loki got to be a bit heroic (for him) by taking part in the battle against Hela and being the one to get the tiara to throw into the flame and release Surtur but this was, finally, a movie that showed Thor at his absolute best. I loved it. I just really loved it.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't remember this joke--can you remind me, please? 

IIRC, when they took the Grandmaster’s ship, Thor asked why there weren’t any weapons on it. Valkyrie replies that was because the Grandmaster mainly used the ship for orgies.

Thor then quietly told Banner “Don’t touch anything.”

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

IIRC, when they took the Grandmaster’s ship, Thor asked why there weren’t any weapons on it. Valkyrie replies that was because the Grandmaster mainly used the ship for orgies.

Thor then quietly told Banner “Don’t touch anything.”

That would be the one.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

That's right! Thank you.  It reminded me of Peter Quill's "Jackson Pollock" comment. 

LOL.  I remember a kid in the audience asking his father about that joke and the father told him not to worry about that.

• Love 1