Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

CoF66YKWYAAmhZW.jpg

Thor lives up to his hair and joins an 80s metal band.

Actually, I really love it. I like the other Thor movies but I can't say I've ever looked forward to one but this I'm looking forward to. It seems like they want to define Thor's world more thoroughly, which I'm totally down with.

Definitely looking forward to this movie.  It's got a great cast, a great director, and a solid premise.  The Thor franchise needs a win and I hope this one is it.

But wow, do I hate that logo.  Tbh, I'm not digging any of the new Marvel logos, but this one is too much.  There is a balance between regal and full on 80s kitch.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ugh, what a terrible logo.  Apart from looking like an awful 80's video game logo, it's also off-balance.  It's messing with my eyes.  It's probably an optical illusion (the top of the T throws it off), but knowing that doesn't help.  I can't unsee it.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

I liked Ruffalo's appearance. "I never wear cut off shorts but when I wake up... I'm wearing cut off shorts!" The whole thing was great but it was kind of fun to get Ruffalo in there since he'll be in Ragnarok as well. The two guys who weren't remotely a part of Civil War hanging out. Also "I told you, no amount of money is going to make me join your side in your pissing contest!" (Or words to that effect.)

And I do love it when Hemsworth is given the opportunity to be funny. He's got wit, that one.

• Love 8

Wasn't there a bit in the movie where Tony seemed pretty assured that Bruce would side with him? I mean, yeah, Science Bros and all but, dude, there was no way in the Nine Realms that Bruce would have EVER agreed with General Ross about anything. Bruce definitely has his own issues regarding the Other Guy but Ross wouldn't be the answer for him.

So, yeah, it was kind of fun to see Bruce say no to 'T-Bone' while Thor encouraged him to get word out that the best way to get a hold of him was via raven.

• Love 6

Wasn't there a bit in the movie where Tony seemed pretty assured that Bruce would side with him?

I thought it was that Bruce WOULDN'T side with him. I thought Tony and Natasha had a moment of commiseration where they agreed Bruce would totally not be on board with what they were doing.

• Love 1

Lots of great bits there.  I love the drawing of Mjolnir with huge biceps holding a tiny Thor.  The part that really killed me, though, was the "Keep Out, Darryl" sign written in runes that Thor had on his bedroom door - for whatever reason, I laughed SO hard at that.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, angora said:

Lots of great bits there.  I love the drawing of Mjolnir with huge biceps holding a tiny Thor.  The part that really killed me, though, was the "Keep Out, Darryl" sign written in runes that Thor had on his bedroom door - for whatever reason, I laughed SO hard at that.

I loved that part too, especially the smile when he was done reading it he looked so please with himself. 

And the "send a raven" bit was hilarious. Chris Hemsworth has great comedic timing. I love him. 

• Love 4

That video was hilarious. Especially loved the bits of Darryl vacuuming around Mjolnir, Thor & Darryl at the office, the QUESTion board and the Bruce Banner cameo. And Mjolnir in a baby blanket? Adorable. 

I felt kind of sorry for Darryl though, because he was basically forced to tolerate a demigod. On the bright side, at least Darryl didn't bring any chicks to his place because chances are if they saw Thor, Darryl wouldn't have stood a chance. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

I will probably go see this in the theater, but really the only reason I have for remotely being invested in anything Thor is Tom H's Loki. Him, and the brotherly angst with Loki and Thor. I don't buy into the Marvel hype, and I think most of their movies are pretty much empty popcorn fare. Looking forward to seeing how they handle Ragnarock. In mythology, Thor, Loki, Odin  and Heimdall all die. I can't imagine them going there and "killing" Loki again, but it will be the last picture CH is required to be in on his current picture deal. So I can see them killing off Thor and Odin. Loki has always been more interesting to me and I would love to see more of him. Don't know if they'll do it though.

1 hour ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I will probably go see this in the theater, but really the only reason I have for remotely being invested in anything Thor is Tom H's Loki. Him, and the brotherly angst with Loki and Thor. I don't buy into the Marvel hype, and I think most of their movies are pretty much empty popcorn fare. Looking forward to seeing how they handle Ragnarock. In mythology, Thor, Loki, Odin  and Heimdall all die. I can't imagine them going there and "killing" Loki again, but it will be the last picture CH is required to be in on his current picture deal. So I can see them killing off Thor and Odin. Loki has always been more interesting to me and I would love to see more of him. Don't know if they'll do it though.

I heard Chris H is going to be in Infinity War, so most likely he won't die and I'm more than okay with that. 

• Love 7

I am sure the studios will unfortunately milk as much cash out of the franchise as they can, so that doesn't surprise me. I just don't have interest in the character of Thor without Loki. It is like a piece is missing. That is just how I see it.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I am sure the studios will unfortunately milk as much cash out of the franchise as they can, so that doesn't surprise me. I just don't have interest in the character of Thor without Loki. It is like a piece is missing. That is just how I see it.

I don't care about Loki. I think he's a character that has outstayed his welcome. 

I love Thor especially with the other Avengers. If any Marvel character should be fighting Thanos it's Thor. But we all got our preferences. I just hope Ragnarok is a good movie. 

• Love 16

As you said, we all have our preferences. Give me a character with actual layers-which Loki has-over a character who doesn't have them. It's not so much that I think Thor doesn't have them, but he's far less interesting to me than Loki. In point of fact, when you step back and look at a lot of Thor's actions, especially towards Loki-sometimes, he comes across as a mini-Odin. And well...Odin is not someone to emulate IMO. Not in this verse. Of course, really...none of these characters are someone to emulate, either because they are not morally good, or they are boring and self righteous and THINK they are just and morally good...when they are not.

As far as Ragnarok being a good movie-none of the superhero/Thor/Avenger/Iron man movies are "good". Entertaining and fun, yes.  Some of them, anyway. Watchable(sometimes), yes. Some good acting, yes. Good chemistry with the cast, etc. But the fact that I tried watching one of the recent ones on Redbox-can't remember if it was Civil War, or Age of Ultron(I think it was this one) or which one it was, but the fact that I turned it off a half hour in, and can't even remember the plot or title, says it all. To me, the plots are all interchangeable and generic and the movies really ARE alike. Big baddie comes to wreak havoc-self righteous goodies beat them in the end. It's a been there, done that scenario for me. I'm fairly confident Ragnarok will make money, because the vast majority of movie goers LIKE the type of movie I've just described. Not passing judgement. Just a simple statement based on my own experience of paying attention to what movies make money...and what movies don't.  Footnote that I don't consider a movie making a ton of money to be a mark of said movie's quality.

Different strokes for different folks. I would be sad to see the end of Loki, but Tom H really needs to get away from that franchise, if he wants to have a career.  He deserves better. So with that said, perhaps killing Loki off in Ragnarok would be the best thing. Problem is, the audience isn't going to believe it, no matter how it's done, I don't think.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, benteen said:

Let's give Thor a sense of humor in this movie.  I liked Thor 2 but good lord, he was completely humorless and joyless.

I think the director who is directing this one is very famous for his humor. But correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ragnarok the story of the Asgardian apocalypse? Everybody is suppose to like die in this story so I don't know how humor will fit in this movie. 

• Love 2
On 9/1/2016 at 4:08 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Thor goaded Steve into killing some prisoners and then they covered it up? I knew Tony was right!

I'm surprised they slipped something that dark into a wacky comedy bit.

I feel like, beyond all other things in the video, that one makes it definitively non-canon.

Personally, I haven't particularly enjoyed either of the standalone Thor films -- Jane Foster/Natalie Portman is dull as dishwater and Darcy/Kat Dennings is nails on a chalkboard.  My favourite moment from either movie is when Thor hung Mjolnir on the coatrack, which was allegedly improvised by Hemsworth.  Hopefully, Taika Waititi will lean into the humour and Portman and Dennings are gone so things are looking up for me!!

• Love 5

Waititi hopefully recognizes that the movie is called Thor and that Thor is made of sunshine and puppies and him not being a self-pitying drip of a demigod does not make him less interesting than a homicidal maniac who never learns. Loki is a dime a dozen. I liked him in the first movie because Hiddleston killed it but it quickly became apparent where they were going with him and I've seen it all before. The bad guy who's sympathetic because bad shit has happened to him and is 'complex' because he doesn't think he's the bad guy is not new or edgy. This has been the norm for decades. I've watched this story play out a thousand time in movies and tv, with only the slightest variation, and it's become so boring. God, it's so boring.

Now, rare? That's a hero who is genuinely a good guy. These days every 'hero' has to be an asshole because, apparently, that's more realistic? Whatever. Thor is capable of being as monstrous an asshole as Loki, which was the point of the first film. But Thor learned and tried and chose to be better. And he chooses to do better over and over again. Thor isn't some brain-dead guy who stumbles through life, forever blessed and never struggling, without a complicated or dark thought passing through his empty, airy skull. He's suffered but he doesn't let it consume him and he doesn't punish innocent people for it. Thor is an actual hero. I am not interested in watching the Loki show because that guy has about as much depth as your average disgruntled douchey manchild on Reddit.

And Sif had better have a great role. Alexander is fantastic on her show Blindspot but the Thor franchise has been wasting her and I'm getting pissed.

Edited by slf
  • Love 15

I like Loki, but have definitely felt diminishing returns with his character.  The angsty stuff mainly works for me in the first movie, because the revelation he gets there about his true parentage really is mind-blowing and would mess a person up.  However, what I really love about it is his plan.  It's got onion layers of subterfuge and double crosses, but I remember that, on my first viewing, every time they peeled back another layer and I THOUGHT I knew what Loki's endgame was, his motivation still made sense to me.  (I mean, not in the sense of being anything a non-villain would do, but I could understand why he was doing it.)  When it all comes together at the end with Odin and Laufy?  I was really impressed by that.  In his subsequent appearances, though, he's felt a lot more generic alternately-cool-or-woobified bad guy, which isn't nearly as interesting.

I'm a Thor fan and always wind up wanting more of him in the Avengers films (although all of the tag-team fight moves he does with Cap in Age of Ultron are wonderful.)  I've really enjoyed seeing him mature as a hero/future ruler - he's come a long way from the hotshot golden boy he was at the start of his first movie.

• Love 6

I wonder if the mid teaser credits I heard were in Doctor Strange, will have anything to do with the actual plot of the movie. It's hard to tell-I mean, BdT had that teaser as The Collector in the credits of TDW, and that went nowhere, didn't it? I am just really curious as to what transpired between Loki and Odin. Someone on IMDB had a good theory: Loki did "die", and had to offer Odin to Hela in order to be released. So Loki goes to Odin and decides if Odin acts like he is in grief over Loki's death, Loki won't follow through and help Hela. Odin being Odin, he makes Loki mad, so Loki helps Hela capture Odin. Since I think Odin in the myths is the one responsible for banishing Hela anyway, can I just say- boo hoo, Odin.  Sucks to be you. I think the person then went on to theorize that Hela and Thanos are in cahoots somehow. Sounds plausible, especially about Odin.

Edited by IWantCandy71
7 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I wonder if the mid teaser credits I heard were in Doctor Strange, will have anything to do with the actual plot of the movie. It's hard to tell-I mean, BdT had that teaser as The Collector in the credits of TDW, and that went nowhere, didn't it? I am just really curious as to what transpired between Loki and Odin. Someone on IMDB had a good theory: Loki did "die", and had to offer Odin to Hela in order to be released. So Loki goes to Odin and decides if Odin acts like he is in grief over Loki's death, Loki won't follow through and help Hela. Odin being Odin, he makes Loki mad, so Loki helps Hela capture Odin. Since I think Odin in the myths is the one responsible for banishing Hela anyway, can I just say- boo hoo, Odin.  Sucks to be you. I think the person then went on to theorize that Hela and Thanos are in cahoots somehow. Sounds plausible, especially about Odin.

Didn't that go directly into Guardians of the Galaxy?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I wonder if the mid teaser credits I heard were in Doctor Strange, will have anything to do with the actual plot of the movie.

Spoiler

There are on-set photos from  Australia of Hemsworth, Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins on a New York set so it looks like Doctor Strange and Ragnarok are happening concurrently.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2016 at 0:17 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

I've never seen Guardians of the Galaxy-it looked kinda boring-was it worth a watch? And if BdT was in it and not too hammy (I like him, but he tends toward too much Brando-esque mumbling for me), I might Netflix it eventually.

It's definitely worth a watch. And it's not boring, it's very entertaining and heartwarming, I also think that it's a visually stunning movie. 

I know many people who considers it one of Marvels best so I definitely think you should watch it. 

• Love 2

First Look at Marvel Studios' 'Thor: Ragnarok' In A New Photo

True Believers, we’ve got a first look of Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok,” as well as a brand new synopsis!

Spoiler

“In Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization – at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger – the Incredible Hulk!”

CREATUREREPORT_post_master.jpg

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 1

I've been deeply skeptical about this for some time. It's Ragnarok. The twilight of the gods. The end of all songs. Götterdämmerung. Death and rebirth. This day all gods die*. And it's going to be a buddy road trip movie with the Hulk? Dr Strange is supposed to be involved too, somehow. It should look like a viking version of Rogue One, not this.

*Except for the couple who don't, of course.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, benteen said:

Guardians is ridiculously entertaining and definitely worth a watch.

I still have not watched this, but I did see the trailer for Volume 2 as a preview for Split. The trailer for the new one looks HILARIOUS.  :) I may end up watching that one first !

• Love 1
On February 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

I still have not watched this, but I did see the trailer for Volume 2 as a preview for Split. The trailer for the new one looks HILARIOUS.  :) I may end up watching that one first !

As long as you know Groot is Life 

• Love 4

tumblr_omicsb9Don1tf70vho2_1280.jpg

I am...in love? I feel like the only person excited for this movie and I don't care, I'm WAY more hyped for this than GoTG or Spider-Man (I know, I'm so different and unique).

Thor doesn't have his HAMMER! OR A WIG! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Hela and Valkyrie look fantastic. I so hope Hela has the headdress in the movie, the concept art showed it but you never know. Love the detail on her costume though.

• Love 8