Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

To me it feels just like the Walt Simonson Thor comics used to: a fun thrillride. I've already gotten more enjoyment out of a two-minute trailer than I did from the entirety of Thor: the Dark World. In fact, I can't recall a trailer that hyped me up that much about a movie in years.

Never read any Simonson Thor but I read a bunch of 60's Jack Kirby comics including Thor and I am seeing a bunch of his crazy cosmic influences here too. For the most part I haven't really cared if Marvel ever gets any of their licensed characters back, but I have always thought it would be sweet if marvel could get back the Fantastic Four. Not for the FF themselves but for the Silver Surfer. And after seeing this would love to see the Surfer show up even more (the FF they could probably shelve since I think they would only work as a crazy 60's sci-fi period piece).

Also I have never been a huge fan of Cate Blanchette (other than recognizing her talent) but she is weirdly hot in that shot where she catches and crushes Mjolnir.

(edited)
16 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Words cannot describe my excitement at seeing Hela's head-dress. That is so out of this world even in the comics and so iconic and I desperately wanted to see Cate in it the second they announced her as Hela. 

It. Looks. So. Fucking. Awesome.

I know! It's everything I ever wanted.

hUYfwE5.jpg

*swoon*

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 7

I'm anticipating great things from Blanchett. I honestly think she may be the most talented actor a superhero movie has ever gotten to play the villain (apologies to Terrence Stamp and Heath Ledger).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm anticipating great things from Blanchett. I honestly think she may be the most talented actor a superhero movie has ever gotten to play the villain (apologies to Terrence Stamp and Heath Ledger).

You could make a case she's the most talented actor ever to be in a superhero movie period!

she does look awesome in the trailer, I will say.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Don't forget Robert Redford. He has to be up there somewhere in a list of most talented super hero movie villain actors.

• Love 3

I've always had a soft spot for the Thor movies (especially the first one) and I'm pretty much Marvels bitch at this point, so I was expecting to be excited for this, but I LOVED this. It looks epic, but also crazy and fun at the same time. I prefer when Marvel just fully commits to its comic book roots for its magic/cosmic stuff, so I am all kinds of excited for this. I mean, they pulled out Led Zepplin for this! It HAS to be awesome!

In the words of the internet, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

You could make a case she's the most talented actor ever to be in a superhero movie period!

I love Cate, LOVE Cate, but Doctor Strange's main players had three Oscar nominees and one Oscar winner.

I'd probably give it to Tilda, but just barely.

I like Tilda more, but I'm not sure I could say which is the better actor. Blanchett has more of the big awards. Christian Bale is also up in the two Oscar club, and while Hopkins isn't I think I'd give him the gold medal overall.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I like Tilda more, but I'm not sure I could say which is the better actor. Blanchett has more of the big awards. Christian Bale is also up in the two Oscar club, and while Hopkins isn't I think I'd give him the gold medal overall.

If we are going to be talking about all  super hero movies, there is also Jack Nicholson (three time Oscar winner) to consider, even though as the Joker he was basically just playing Jack in white face paint. Unless Daniel Day Lewis shows up as Immortus or Streep shows up as She-Hulk it is going to be hard to beat that from an awards point of view. 

• Love 2
On 04/13/2017 at 2:12 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

If we are going to be talking about all  super hero movies, there is also Jack Nicholson (three time Oscar winner) to consider, even though as the Joker he was basically just playing Jack in white face paint. Unless Daniel Day Lewis shows up as Immortus or Streep shows up as She-Hulk it is going to be hard to beat that from an awards point of view. 

For acting talent, Gary Oldman has the title for now, with Hopkins an honourable runner up IMO.

I'd take Gene Hackman over Redford or Nicholson too  TBH

Edited by Which Tyler
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

If we are going to be talking about all  super hero movies, there is also Jack Nicholson (three time Oscar winner) to consider, even though as the Joker he was basically just playing Jack in white face paint.

I've heard that said a lot, but I don't think it's a fair criticism to say he was playing himself.  I don't remember Jack Nicholson destroying art galleries, laughing in amusement as he shot or electrocuted criminals, squirting women in the face with acid, or killing numerous people with Smilex gas.

15 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Just remembered Ben Kingsley - pushes Hopkins down to 3rd

That was just on TV. Whatever problems IM3 has, I love Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, starri said:

I think they realized that Hemsworth works best playing a lovable goofball.  That's why he was a bright spot in Ghostbusters.  So they leaned it to.

Looks like the right choice.

The problem is that Thor isn't a loveable goofball. He makes stupid mistakes because he's not the brightest, but he isn't purposefully goofy and stupid. So to make the character be so, just makes him look like he's playing someone new. Seriously-that "friend from work"-that's not something the Thor from either of the first movies would have said in that situation. I thought the line was stupid. *shrug* And Chris Hemworth's accent changes with every movie. Is he not capable of simply watching clips from the prior movies and keeping that same voice? I could hear his native accent-and up until now-he's actually made an effort to disguise it. It comes across as lazy to me...and I HATE lazy.

I was looking forward to where they take Loki-but I may wait till this is at Redbox.  I also think it's beyond stupid to not make Hela, Loki's kid. I mean, unless they are going to couple up, what's the point of that? It adds automatic, non forced drama to simply have her be a rejected family member. Without that, they have to come up with some convoluted reason for her anger and destruction. Never mind, that a movie with not one, not two, but at least three villains...it says to me that the "plot" will be paper thin, at best. I don't mind "comic book" movies if the characters aren't self righteous-it's why I hate the Avengers films-but I do expect SOME effort and logic in the storytelling.

We'll see.

• Love 4

I could hear his native accent-and up until now-he's actually made an effort to disguise it.

Hasn't Thor been living with his Australian roommate Darryl? I don't know if they're actually living in Australia, but it could be Thor adapting to his life on Earth.

I am Marvel's bitch at this point, no shame in admitting that, so I was bound to watch this, but this trailer got me excited for the movie. This is going to be the best Thor movie. I loved Jane foster in the first two movie, but I'm also glad that she won't be in this one. I already like all the new characters, especially Hela and Valkyrie.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My only qualm is the absence of Lady Sif in the trailer.

Is Jaimie Alexander in this? I haven't being following the production/marketing much.

24 minutes ago, Trini said:

Is Jaimie Alexander in this? I haven't being following the production/marketing much.

She's in the imdb credits, and there have been interviews over the years (even before the previous one) talking about her being in Ragnarok.

I'm assuming she has a small role since she was filming Blind spot. Shame, i really like Lady Sif and, kept hoping for a bigger role but, something always seems to prevent it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

That trailer looks awesome even if it does look more like Asguardians of the Galaxy (tm. JessePinkman. Hilarious.) GOTG is my favorite Marvel movie and I enjoyed the first two Thor movies but liked the first one better. I like Thor more when he's being a kinda clueless goofball anyway. Best thing about it is no Natalie Portman. I don't think she's horrible or anything but she mostly just does not work for me in the Thor movies. A rare casting misstep for Marvel. 

• Love 5
On 4/11/2017 at 9:23 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

For the most part I haven't really cared if Marvel ever gets any of their licensed characters back, but I have always thought it would be sweet if marvel could get back the Fantastic Four. Not for the FF themselves but for the Silver Surfer. And after seeing this would love to see the Surfer show up even more (the FF they could probably shelve since I think they would only work as a crazy 60's sci-fi period piece).

I weep for the Fantastic Four, which was once the proud centerpiece of the Marvel Universe, and the book that started it all - the Marvel Age of Comics.

Yet because it was one of their most valuable properties, it was one of the first to be snatched up and sold to Fox, who have shown nothing but a complete lack of ability to handle it, or appreciate it.  As a result, we have been denied a decent film version of the FF, and of Doctor Doom, while more obscure comic book properties have prospered.  The waste of potential truly saddens me. 

• Love 5
On 4/28/2017 at 11:30 PM, rmontro said:

I weep for the Fantastic Four, which was once the proud centerpiece of the Marvel Universe, and the book that started it all - the Marvel Age of Comics.

Yet because it was one of their most valuable properties, it was one of the first to be snatched up and sold to Fox, who have shown nothing but a complete lack of ability to handle it, or appreciate it.  As a result, we have been denied a decent film version of the FF, and of Doctor Doom, while more obscure comic book properties have prospered.  The waste of potential truly saddens me. 

I've always thought that the Silver Surfer film was okay, but I seem to be the only one who does. Admittedly it was linked to a total piece of shit preceding it, but it had a lot of the right notes in it for the kind of film it was trying to be. And the acting wasn't THAT bad in it. Just sort of bad.

13 hours ago, Kromm said:

I've always thought that the Silver Surfer film was okay, but I seem to be the only one who does. Admittedly it was linked to a total piece of shit preceding it, but it had a lot of the right notes in it for the kind of film it was trying to be. And the acting wasn't THAT bad in it. Just sort of bad.

I can watch either movie and enjoy it for what it is (well, not the newest one).  There's just so much lost potential there.

The thing about the second one that really rankled me was the "Galactus as cloud" thing.  I know, you can argue that Galactus was in the cloud.  But back then, there were all these people saying no one would accept a giant robot-looking alien who ate planets.  But I think Guardians of the Galaxy has disproven that, with the appearance of the Celestials and another cosmic race in their most recent film (I won't spoil it here).  If you think the idea of Galactus is stupid, why do the story then?  I'd like to see the FF face off with Namor in a movie.  You get Sue being attracted to his physical presence, and Reed getting all stressed about that.

(edited)

No, Namor was later considered to be a mutant and was briefly on the team a couple of years ago but otherwise he has been completely separate from the team throughout their history.

I do wish we'd get a Captain America movie with him, Namor and the original Human Torch fighting Nazis in WW2.  The original Big Three for Marvel Comics...which I believe was Timely Comics back then.

Edited by benteen
6 hours ago, starri said:

Wouldn't Namor be bound with the X-Men rights?

I don't think so.  I've heard talk that the reason we haven't seen Namor is because his rights are sort of messed up.  Somehow somebody has the film rights, but somebody else has the distribution rights, I don't know the details.  Rights aside, I was just saying what I would like to see.

35 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I don't think so.  I've heard talk that the reason we haven't seen Namor is because his rights are sort of messed up.  Somehow somebody has the film rights, but somebody else has the distribution rights, I don't know the details.  Rights aside, I was just saying what I would like to see.

I'm pretty sure that Marvel has the rights to Namor, all the rights. 

15 minutes ago, benteen said:

Universal has some rights to it and I believe that Fox does as well.

Doesn't Disney own Universal? 

This is confusing. I hope Marvel gets all their material back soon. 

I figured Namor would be lumped in with the X-Men, since he was a mutant at the time they sold those rights, like how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were included in that deal, despite the fact that they're more Avengers than anything else (and not mutants anymore anyway, which is beside the point).

I suppose it doesn't really matter, since he'd most likely be with the FF rights if not, so they're in the same place.

13 hours ago, starri said:

I suppose it doesn't really matter, since he'd most likely be with the FF rights if not, so they're in the same place.

You would think he would be with the FF rights if he was anywhere, but I'm pretty sure he's not.  Like I said, I think he has some sort of odd messed up situation where someone owns the film rights and someone else owns the distribution rights.  Not sure how that came about.

Most probably know this, but the Sub-Mariner dates back to the 30s, long before there were any X-Men.  He fought with Captain America and the original Human Torch in World War II.  He was brought into the modern comics continuity when the Fantastic Four's version of the Torch found him in a flophouse with amnesia.  It was later decided that since he was born with wings on his feet that he must be a mutant.

18 hours ago, starri said:

I figured Namor would be lumped in with the X-Men, since he was a mutant at the time they sold those rights, like how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were included in that deal, despite the fact that they're more Avengers than anything else (and not mutants anymore anyway, which is beside the point).

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver started out in the X-Men comics and were part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.  But they left after a couple of issues and have been mostly Avengers, especially Witch.  But they started in the X-Men comics and have ties to Magneto (Quicksilver has been more involved in X-groups as well, unlike Wanda).

I'm most excited to see Skurge is in this, because it looks like they might be recreating the only moment in comics that makes me tear up no matter how many times I read it: "He stood alone at Gjallerbru. And that answer is enough."

• Love 1

I didn't realize that was Care Blanchett crushing the hammer. I thought she looked familiar. Now I'm more excited. 

"He's a friend from work" line cracks me up every time most because it makes sense and doesn't.

Yes to no Jane! Her and Thor never worked for me. 

3 hours ago, nicepebbles said:

Yes to no Jane! Her and Thor never worked for me. 

The main thing I disliked about Jane was I also got the impression Natalie Portman didn't want to be there.

• Love 4
On 5/14/2017 at 0:14 AM, Perfect Xero said:

I'm most excited to see Skurge is in this, because it looks like they might be recreating the only moment in comics that makes me tear up no matter how many times I read it: "He stood alone at Gjallerbru. And that answer is enough."

Of course i had to go find it and read it and it was sad.