Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

(edited)
35 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Oh that looks like so much fun!!!!!

But I'll never get over Thor with short hair! That's SO WRONG!!! He needs to have those long blondish locks!!!!????

Loki in chains...hmmm...guess his pretending to be Odin was found out???

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Love it when Hulk talks.  I always hated that attitude that his speech pattern was too silly for audiences to accept, just because they were raised on that TV show with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh that looks like so much fun!!!!!

But I'll never get over Thor with short hair! That's SO WRONG!!! He needs to have those long blondish locks!

I respectfully disagree. As long as Thor still looks like Chris Hemsworth, I wouldn't care if he was bald.

• Love 6

Okay, that was terrible. I saw very little worth watching. The whole thing was just terrible. I can't even tell you exactly what I disliked about it. Everything!

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

Okay, that was terrible. I saw very little worth watching. The whole thing was just terrible. I can't even tell you exactly what I disliked about it. Everything!

I didn't hate-hate it the way you did, but I have to confess I liked the first trailer much better and found this one underwhelming. This trailer just makes the movie look like GOTG-lite.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Joe said:

I didn't hate it, but I'm wary.  For me it was:

1.  The colors were so comic book bright that it didn't look like the same universe as the first two movies.

2.  I know that most these movies are high in special effects, especially Asgard, but these special effects looked way over the top (of course, maybe on a huge movie screen they'll look better).

3.  The humor seemed campy instead of natural.

4.  I'm not used to seeing Hulk talk.  Am I to understand that in the comics he did talk, although maybe not well, and the tv show made it so he didn't? 

Having said all that, Marvel at it's worst is still pretty fun, so I'm still looking forward to it. I have yet to be truly disappointed in any of their movies (although, I do have a "least favorites" list). 

38 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

4.  I'm not used to seeing Hulk talk.  Am I to understand that in the comics he did talk, although maybe not well, and the tv show made it so he didn't?  

I'd say have an open mind.  The Hulk always did talk in the comic books, although his speech was somewhat childlike.  He's also gone through many different changes, where he's had Banner's brain, where he wasn't Banner exactly but was more intelligent, etc.  The idea of the Hulk not talking came from the TV show.  To me, I never liked that he didn't talk, because his speech was so much part of the character.

Side note:  Stan Lee based The Hulk on the Frankenstein monster.  My favorite scene in any of the Frankenstein movies was in Bride of Frankenstein where the blind hermit teaches him to talk.  Apparently Boris Karloff (who played the monster) didn't like the idea of him talking.  But I was glad he didn't have his way because that scene wouldn't have been the same without it.  That scene was later parodied in Young Frankenstein.

• Love 2
(edited)

This trailer looks even more awesome than the first one! I actually like the other Thor movies a bit more than most people seem to, but I'm glad we're letting him finally leave Earth and have some crazy alien god adventures! 

Bruce and Thor look like a fun combination, and the Hulk looks freaking awesome. I can see the GoTG parallels, but it didn't bother me. It makes sense, it's probably set around the same corner of the galaxy after all. 

Thor with lightning eyes! *fans self*

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The Hulk has different personalities over the years in the comics because of the volatile nature of Banner's mental state, he's ranged from angry toddler to as smart and articulate as Banner.

In the Planet Hulk story that this is borrowing heavily from Hulk is basically a big green Conan the Barbarian type, and is about as smart and articulate as Thor is portrayed as in the Thor movies, speaks in complete sentences and makes clever plans and tactical choices.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Joe said:

My problem was the major plot twist from the what was shown in the first trailer. I had no knowledge of the source story and it just seemed like it spoiled too much. But there is no way I could have avoided the trailers for months if I wanted to

13 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Who is the giant devil thing they show. I know there are a few various devils in marvel, in the MCU Dr. Strange fights Dorammu and there is also Mephisto in the comics. So who is this guy?

Surtur, based loosely on the Fire Giant Surtr from Norse mythology. He's the one who is destine to destroy Asgard in the Ragnarok cycle in the comics and is, basically, Odin's evil opposite number.

11 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

In the early days he talked:

Hero-Envy-Hulk-Thor6.jpg

Then as time went on he had the mind of a toddler that's where the famous "Hulk smash!" came from. The Hulk in the TV show was basically a mindless beast that didn't speak at all.

• Love 2
(edited)

So on top of fridging Frigga in the last one they've dumped all the other women from the first two films? Because they were the problem with the Thor movies?!

Edited by slf
Just now, slf said:

So on top of fridging Freya in the last one they've dumped all the other women from the first two films? Because they were the problem with the Thor movies?!

Would you rather they find a way to shoehorn Natalie Portman into this?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Would you rather they find a way to shoehorn Natalie Portman into this?

I would rather have Sif. And Frigga not be dead.

Edited by slf
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, slf said:

I would rather have Sif. And Freya not be dead.

This might be a spoiler, so I will go ahead and tag it as such

Spoiler

Jaimie Alexander said that she "might" show up in the movie, and I'm pretty sure she will show up

I do wish Frigga was still around, she had so much potential as a character, and she got killed just as we started getting to know her. However, I don't mind Jane and Darcy not showing up in this one. I actually like Thors human cast more than a lot of people in fandom do, but they wouldn't really fit into this crazy outer space story with monsters and worlds being destroyed and such things. I mean, maybe it could work, but I'm excited to see Thor more connected to space than to Earth for a movie. I don't think Jane and Darcy were the problem with the Thor movies, I think they're problem was the constant focus on Earth stuff was holding back on the epic god adventures, especially in the second movie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, slf said:

So on top of fridging Freya in the last one they've dumped all the other women from the first two films? Because they were the problem with the Thor movies?!

They did 'fridge' Odin in the last movie too, and the Warriors Three haven't been featured in the trailers either that I've noticed. The trailers feature the Hammer getting crushed, Thor getting a hair cut, and Asgard getting wrecked, so it's not like they're just stepping away from the women but kept everything else the same.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This might be a spoiler, so I will go ahead and tag it as such

Reveal hidden contents

Jaimie Alexander said that she "might" show up in the movie, and I'm pretty sure she will show up

I hope so.

1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

They did 'fridge' Odin in the last movie too, and the Warriors Three haven't been featured in the trailers either that I've noticed. The trailers feature the Hammer getting crushed, Thor getting a hair cut, and Asgard getting wrecked, so it's not like they're just stepping away from the women but kept everything else the same.

No, they definitely haven't kept everything else the same. But there's clearly a limit to the number of women they're willing to give major screen time to in these superhero movies. How many have been made so far with like ten damn guys and maybe two women with comparable screen time? Most of them, right? Cutting out a few male characters isn't like cutting out almost all of the pre-existing female characters (if Sif is in this movie she's the only woman from the first two films to make into the third). I like Tessa Thompson, I like Cate Blanchett, they're both great additions; especially Thompson because these movies have been pretty white with like two poc. But I also want Sif and some acknowledgement of Jane because whether people like it or not she's been a big part of the franchise until now. Three women is not a lot but might be the most that we get.

I expect that they'll acknowledge Jane, but it isn't something that I'd expect in a trailer (an actor/character NOT being in the movie is usually not a selling point).

Sif having a major part would be awesome, but was Alexander free for something like that with her TV series?

6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I expect that they'll acknowledge Jane, but it isn't something that I'd expect in a trailer (an actor/character NOT being in the movie is usually not a selling point).

Sif having a major part would be awesome, but was Alexander free for something like that with her TV series?

That's a good point. It's not the producers fault if Jaime is unavailable. And I'm also considering source material here. Comic books aren't really going to provide a fount of female characters, to ensure the subsequent movie has gender parity and you can only include so many original characters. I think the women we've seen portrayed so far, in both Thor and the other movies, have been interesting, intelligent, resourceful, tough and all around kick ass people. Yes there have been more men than women but I do think source material has to be taken into account.

• Love 1
(edited)

This new trailer looks great. I am glad that they are going with some humor. Chris was so good in Ghostbusters and has wonderful comedic timely. I barely recognized Kurt Urban. He must have been on steroids He looks huuuuuge! I hope Odin wakes up and saves the day. It would be more realistic than a team defeating "Hela."

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Alexander has previously said that she was free to do the film and was more than willing, so I don't think her schedule was an issue. 

10 hours ago, anna0852 said:

And I'm also considering source material here. Comic books aren't really going to provide a fount of female characters, to ensure the subsequent movie has gender parity and you can only include so many original characters. I think the women we've seen portrayed so far, in both Thor and the other movies, have been interesting, intelligent, resourceful, tough and all around kick ass people. Yes there have been more men than women but I do think source material has to be taken into account.

Agree to disagree.

The music, the colors, the haircut!

Now that's how you do a trailer!

They showed a LOT but not so much that you know the whole plot. I loved it from top to bottom, I've watched it too many times to count by now.  I know people compare it to Guardians of the Galaxy but I think all this is doing is leaning into what Thor is really about, a space opera of epic proportions.

Spoiler

And if rumors are true that Cate Blanchett's Hela is basically a replacement for Death in the Infinity Gauntlet story I am here for it.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah. But I didn't have a problem with his previous look!

I didnt either. I liked the exaggerated brow and fuller face. He was terrifying.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, starri said:

I love that Hela has her classic headdress, and that it appears to retract, and that she can use it as a weapon.

That's something drag queens dream about.

Oh shit how many drag queens are gonna be Hela next year? I live!

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yup. And now he just looks...oddly...attractive.

I wonder if they're making him "more human on purpose. If he's speaking, maybe he looks different because he is different. Like he's evolving or has more control. I wonder if they'll have Thor make a comment about his looks.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 4

On a darker note, what if the aliens have been experimenting on Bruce? Like if they wanted to get the Hulk to be bigger and badder in the arena or they wanted to exert more control. Who knows what alien technology could have done to him and would account for the change and how the Hulk looks.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I wonder if they're making him "more human on purpose. If he's speaking, maybe he looks different because he is different. Like he's evolving or has more control. I wonder if they'll have Thor make a comment about his looks.

Maybe like Banner is getting more control the longer he stays as hulk and like along with him being able to talk (and presumably being smarter) it also makes him look more like banner.

• Love 3
On 7/26/2017 at 0:14 PM, SnoGirl said:

And looks more like Banner, more human right? 

He looks less bestial, but I actually see less of Mark Ruffalo's face recognizable in this version.

• Love 2