Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

On 11/2/2017 at 11:41 PM, anna0852 said:

That Bruce had to wear Tony's clothes left aboard.

Now, see, I thought this was HIGH-larious. Tony's always in dark metal/rock t-shirts, but he had a white Duran Duran Rio shirt on the quinjet? Srsly: Rio??!?! Heeeeee. Good work, costumers!

Loved CB so so much. But, as with all these antlered headpieces, I wonder if she repeatedly hurt herself whenever she inadvertently shrugged her shoulders. (Hela would shrug. She dgaf.)

The inclusion of "Pure Imagination" in the soundtrack delighted me.

Idris looks foxy in dreads. I'm not even kidding.

• Love 18

Best superhero movie this year and Second best marvel movie after avengers. The last time I had this such fun watching a movie was avengers and guardians of the galaxy. Thor was the first marvel movie I watched, I fell in love with Thor and he was my favourite. After watching iron man and the first avenger, he was still my favourite, but the winter soldier catapulted cap to my number one and the dark world knocked Thor down to one of my least favourite characters in the MCU. But after watching ragnarok, Thor is back to my number one. I remember why I love this character so much along with Loki.

One of the best things this movie did was making us fall in love with every character. Thor, Korg and Valkyrie stole the movie. Loki. Banner and hulk were better than they have ever been. Hela is the best superhero villain this year, Cate killed it as Hela.

Best scenes were:

Thor fucking things up while the immigrant song was blasting at the beginning and at the end.

The Thor and hulk fight

Ride of the Valkyries

Valkyrie playing with hulk, this melted my heart

Loki and Thor in the elevator

Thor, Loki and Dr strange scene

Ugh. Too many scenes to name. Funniest parts and lines;

The snake story killed me

"You could have sent an email". " do you have a computer? "," no, what for?"

"Your saviour is here".

Banner going splat in front of the gaint dog

And how can I ever forget, " hey big guy, suns getting low". I almost died laughing.

This movie is just awesome. I love it so much. I can't wait to see these characters again. Heard that Valkyrie is in infinity war, thank God. I hope Taika dose another Thor movie with this cast. I will check out his movies, I love his style.

I can't recommend this movie enough.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

"I'VE BEEN FALLING FOR 30 MINUTES"

Could NOT stop laughing.  

I can't believe I forgot that one! 

Also, "I started a revolution but didn't print enough pamphlet".

" another day, another Doug ". Korg was hilarious.

• Love 13

That movie Ragna-ROCKED! (Couldn't resist). It lived up to the hype and then some! It was even funnier than Guardians!

Loved Thor crashing in on Loki's Asgard! Loki/Odin's "oh shit" was priceless. Of course Thor would figure it out in less than a minute. And Matt Damon! Who saw that coming?

Hela is definitely a worthy villain, even snarkier than Loki. And even though I'm one of the few that liked Jane, I have to admit I liked Valkyrie better. 

Man, Odin really SUCKED as a father.

Talking!Hulk rules! Loved his rapport with Valkyrie, and him and Thor clashing as "roommates". It's a shame he got more love on that planet than he ever did on Earth.

Thor vs Hulk was the highlight for me. My favorite part was how Loki went from scared shitless to cheering while Thor got the Puny God treatment. "YES! THAT'S HOW IT FEELS!" ???????

Shirtless Thor scenes never last long enough for me.

RIP Warriors Three, the hammer, and Thor's hair and eye. Though I'm guessing two of those things will return?

Superhero movies are on the biggest roll ever this year! Now all we need is for JL not to suck...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

It's a shame he got more love on that planet than he ever did on Earth.

That whole thing with Hulk, and later when he transitioned back to Bruce, was reeeeally interesting.  Not sure it was really love that he was getting... he was given perks and his needs as Hulk were minimal, but he was still a prisoner and it was more like they were treating him like a valuable "Asset" (and yeah... I see parallels to the Winter Soldier) that they wanted to keep performing for them.  But what Bruce said about the Hulk persona basically locking him in the trunk and not letting him out was... really chilling and was an interesting thing to see in the midst of all the humor.  And I was really impressed how Waititi was able to seemlessly incorporate some really heavy plot elements in with all the humor.     

• Love 16

Cate Blanchett in emo makeup, yes please.

My favorite Loki part was when he saw the Grandmaster's champion was Hulk. "I've gotta get off this planet."

So the mid-credits scene was Thanos coming to collect the Tesseract, right? ('Cause you know Loki took it.)

• Love 12

How can I forget Thor seeing Hulk naked?! "Yup, that's in my head. Can't unsee that." LMAO!

43 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

That whole thing with Hulk, and later when he transitioned back to Bruce, was reeeeally interesting.  Not sure it was really love that he was getting... he was given perks and his needs as Hulk were minimal, but he was still a prisoner and it was more like they were treating him like a valuable "Asset" (and yeah... I see parallels to the Winter Soldier) that they wanted to keep performing for them.  But what Bruce said about the Hulk persona basically locking him in the trunk and not letting him out was... really chilling and was an interesting thing to see in the midst of all the humor.  And I was really impressed how Waititi was able to seemlessly incorporate some really heavy plot elements in with all the humor.     

I wonder if it's because Hulk was getting sick of Banner's increasing pacifism? In any case, even if he was a prisoner, he seemed to enjoy the fame and the crowds cheering him on. Plus getting to smash as much as he wanted.

Big LOL at Hulk almost wrecking the Ragnarok plan. "No, Hulk, you moron! For once in your life, don't smash!"

"But....big monster!"

• Love 12

Does Taika Waititi always sound like a surfer dude (I've never heard him speak), or is that just his way of doing Korg?  I'm disappointed that they didn't mention that Korg is gay.

How much did Zachary Levi get paid to die without saying a word?

Ugh.  There was a question I had while watching the movie but now I can't remember what it is  I hope it comes back to me at some point so I can come back and ask it.

Cate Blanchett looked like she was having a ball.

• Love 3

Cate Blanchett was gorgeous and funny and terrifying all at the same time.  I am still amazed.

And I loved that it was a video of Nat saying "I need you" that got Bruce back (but it also just makes me even more annoyed with JW over the 'monster' conversation in AoU, because I really like the almost sweet, gentle romance-ish thing that Bruce and Nat have, but that beginning was terribly handled).  

• Love 5

Okay, brace yourself because I'm going to be the voice of dissension: this movie was a tonal nightmare.  Three things in particular stick out:

1. The throwaway mention of Jane. Okay, like most people I thought Thor/Jane was the least convincing Marvel couple and I can understand why they wanted to jettison it. But that doesn't change the fact the franchise spent two movies setting it up, only to chuck it away with a one-liner (and how would a random woman on the street know about Thor's relationship status anyway?) It reminds me of the Tony/Pepper misfire in "Civil War", which established the two of them had broken up, only for the franchise to get Gwyneth Paltrow back on board for "Spiderman" - in hindsight, the "Civil War" breakup felt like a waste of time when they could have simply had Pepper off-screen til they were ready to bring her back.

Now though I doubt that Natalie Portman will be back, and I wasn't that convinced by Thor/Jane anyway, the fact that they've ended them in such an offhanded way makes me wonder what ELSE I shouldn't get invested in.  According to this film's stinger and footage of Infinity War's first trailer 

Spoiler

Thor is found by the Guardians floating through space debris - anyone else have the sinking feeling that all the Asgardians are destroyed by Thanos, thus rendering this entire movie's central goal fairly pointless? Hey, they did it to Thor/Jane, they can do it to a bunch of extras.

2. So the Warriors Three are killed in seconds by Hela. The hell?? At least Hogan got to go down fighting, but it's unforgivable to treat Fandral and Volstagg like Red Shirts: killed off inconsequentially without a word of dialogue. Would it have been so difficult to have them dying to save some Asgardians, or at least keep them in Heimdall's subplot as they rescued civilians? Even weirder, they're completely forgotten about afterwards. Aren't they Thor's best friends? Wouldn't he have noticed their absence and asked after them? This may sound OTT, but the way they were treated soured my enjoyment of the whole movie.

Also, I get that scheduling conflicts meant Sif couldn't appear, (and I suppose I should be grateful considering she would have probably just been killed off) but they couldn't have put in a single line explaining that she was off exploring another dimension or something? I was more curious about her absence than Jane's. 

3. So Asgard is destroyed, a place of beauty and learning and wonder; the place of Thor's birth, the city where his mother died, the glorious pinnacle of the Nine Realms, the destruction of which renders his people refugees floating in space - and it's sent out with a dumb joke about how they can rebuild over the foundations, until - okay, no they can't, that place is toast. I'm a kiwi, and I recognise my country's droll sense of humour, but jeez - we're not THAT glib. Any sense of poignancy or tragedy or heartbreak is obliterated for the sake of a fairly stupid joke. 

I enjoyed so much about the film: the colour and vibrancy, the exile to Sakaar and Thor's attempts to get back again, Cate Blanchett hamming it up as Hela, Valkryie as way more than interchangable Tough Girl #196, the Thor/Loki banter (especially "get help"), the cameos from Doctor Strange and the Asgardian actors, but the above three points were like dead flies in an otherwise delicious soup. It spoiled the whole thing.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 6

I just got back from watching Thor. Loved it. Funny and poignant. My favorite moment had to be Thor surprising me and stunning Loki just as he was about to double cross him for the millionth time. I was about to yell, "Thor, you moron, when will you  learn" and then, "ahhhhhhh." Bwah. It was heartbreaking when Hela destroyed the Hammer, but I loved that Odin reminded Thor that he was the God of Thunder not hammers. Thor really came into his own in this movie. He will be a much wiser king than his father who kept way too many secrets. It was horrible that he lost the eye and that the Warriors Three were killed.

At least, Karl Urban's character redeemed himself, sacrificing himself for Asgard. Cate Blanchett was menacing and funny as Hela. She ranks right up there at the top as one of the best Marvel villains.

I was wondering why Heimdell was heading to the Bifrost and was pleasantly surprised that it was because he saw Loki coming with the ship and more fighters. Loki really surprised me, not just coming, but going through withthe plan. I thought for sure that he was going to grab the Tesseract and run. I still think that he took it. He can't help himself. I was expecting him to be projection on the ship so I was surprised when it turned out that it was really him.

Tessa Thompson was great. Valkyrie and Thor have chemistry. Poor Bruce. His life is such a mess. Too bad he couldn't stay on Asgard. They would have loved him. 

I forgot about Korg who befriended Thor. He was hilarious as was Jeff Goldblum.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

This relates to the end credit scenes (with a little bit of spoiler information from the Infinity War trailer)... I did not realize that The Grandmaster and The Collector (who has the Reality Stone) were brothers.  

And this is a rundown of where all the Infinity Stones currently reside.   And I still think the Soul Stone is in Wakanda.  

• Love 2

There were so many funny moments, some mentioned above. I loved when they were doing the intro to Jeff Goldblum character as Thor was sitting in the chair, screaming, only to discover he is sitting stationary and screaming in front of everyone. 

That high squeaky voice that Chris makes, when he expresses incredulousness and skepticism. It is so hard to explain, but oh so funny. His performance in this Thor movie reminded me so much of his performance in Ghostbusters. In both movies, he looked like he was having the time of his life. He managed to strike the right balance of comedic distraught and furious Thor. He showed himself to be a talented actor. I would love to see him in a romantic comedy. 

It was touching how Loki looked at Odin when he referred to his sons. It was in that moment that I think Loki finally understood that even after everything that he had done, his father still loved him and considered him his son. I thought that Thor was going to destroy Loki in his fury over their father's death, but he regained his self-control. Another reason that Thor will make a good king. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

8I loved this movie. The whole theatre was having a total blast!

Agree with so many posts,  but to @Grace19, @Spartan Girl and@thuganomics85 a total WORD  on your posts. Literally what I thought of the movie.

I found the movie both carefree and poignant. Odins death, the Loki and Thor relationship stuff was really well done, along with Banner/Hulk. I also felt bad for both Bruce and Hulk.

Marvel keeping its streak of making me tear up going, but didn't cry outright this time, so yayy to me.

I wanna see this again, but it has joined the top of the list of Marvel movies for me.

Edited by dkb
  • Love 3

Marvel went 3 for 3 this year in crafting excellent movies that function in their own space, and tell a complete story, without worrying so much about the greater "universe" (to be fair DC nailed this with Wonder Woman as well). In fact, Ragnarok also served to make the previous two films in the Thor trilogy better retrospectively, a rare feat for a 3rd Super Hero film.  The first Thor, when released, felt like nothing but two hours of exposition. The Dark World was at least a whole story, but carried a bit of burden of finding it's footing post Avengers. With the third film we finally have a complete evolution of Thor in his stand alone films.

In the first film he's a young, almost adolescent, warrior, cocksure and proud. He has no mind for the history of Asgard, looking to forge his own path. In the Dark World, he's matured; he feels the responsibility not only of being Asgardian royalty, but also his experiences as a guardian of Earth, though still a little serious and emotional. Come Ragnarok he's self aware. He's relaxed his personality while still being aware of his responsibility to Asgard and Earth. He knows to protect earth is to find stability in the 9 realms, and while aware of his power, he's no longer motivated by his own legacy or emotion, but sense of duty.

I'm impressed that not only were we treated to the best Thor movie, but a movie that elevated the whole trilogy. Probably not something you'd expect to say about a franchise started by Kenneth Branagh and closed (pdresumably) by Taika Waititi, but in retrospect, those were the perfect directors for their respective films.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Cate Blanchett was gorgeous and funny and terrifying all at the same time.  I am still amazed.

And I loved that it was a video of Nat saying "I need you" that got Bruce back (but it also just makes me even more annoyed with JW over the 'monster' conversation in AoU, because I really like the almost sweet, gentle romance-ish thing that Bruce and Nat have, but that beginning was terribly handled).  

I've come to accept nat/banner, I was just frustrated that we were not getting nat/Clint. But now I'm over it. I also liked Thor/Jane, but Thor/Valkyrie has potential to be great. Never liked Thor/sif, people latched on to it because most hated jane/thor.

I have to say that Valkyrie is the best female character in the MCU. I loved that she's not the cliché badass female that is so serious and doesn't have fun. She's truely just one of the guys, she can play with hulk, kickass with Thor and almost out-snark Loki.

Please Taika, do another Thor movie.

Edited by Grace19
  • Love 11

We loved this movie!  The beginning scene when the bad guy has to stop monologuing (thanks, incredibles!) each time Thor spun away from him . . . the scene with Dr. Strange (I forgot about that teaser!) and Loki's "I've been falling for thirty minutes!" . . . the unexpected and very bad "Tragedy of Loki" play while Odin sits in Shady Acres . . . Hulk v Thor . . . I am used to Tony being funny, but this was an unexpected treat!

• Love 4

Morning after thoughts. I just remembered one of the scenes where Chris uses that voice. It was when Thor using the same argument to persuade Bruce that he liked him more than the Hulk. Bruce responded doubtfully that Thor just wanted the Hulk and he was as good as the Hulk, then Thor replied something to the effect, "really? it is just we need the Hulk on Asgard." It was a hilarious scene. Bruce needs to reconcile himself with the Hulk and stop trying to run away from him. It is the only way that he will ever get control over the Hulk and be able to have a life with Nat or someone else.

I also cracked up when Thor told Hela that he would give up the throne, but not to her because she was just so awful. Her reaction and smirk to taking out Thor's eye was so terrible and funny at the same time as was when she nonchalantly told Skurge that every ruler than an executioner who carries out their vision, but... mostly to execute people. I wouldn't mind if they found a way to bring her back. She would give Thanos a much needed sense of humor. At least Jeff Goldblum's humorous Grandmaster is still around. 

I think that this was an important movie for Loki character-wise. It felt like Marvel was trying to put him onto the path to be a good-ish guy. Along with his reaction to Odin calling him his son which I mentioned earlier, there was that elevator scene with Thor. He looked hurt when Thor told him that he should stay on that world. Loki then replied that it was what Thor always wanted or that he wanted him gone (I can't remember the exact words). When Thor replied that was what Loki wanted, he had wanted them to fight side by side forever, Loki looked that he had been hit by the truth stick. It reminded me of when Frigga admonished him, "you're always so perceptive about everyone but yourself." He has been lying to himself to rationalize his bad deeds. Yes, his father was wrong to lie about his birth, but that doesn't change the fact that Odin, Frigga, and Thor loved him. He was the one whose ambition to be king and desire for power caused the rift in their family.  Even though he still attempted to doublecross Thor later, I think that realizing that Thor no longer believed that he could be saved or redeemed hit Loki hard, maybe that is why he went back to save Asgard.

I loved the scene of the Valkyrie's fighting Hela, very aesthetically beautiful. Valkyrie is a great addition to the Marvel universe and the perfect love interest for Thor. Tessa Thompson was outstanding.

I never go see movies a second time, but I would go see this one, if my movie budget wasn't so tight with Black Panther, Star Wars, and Avengers on the near horizon.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 12
On 11/2/2017 at 11:46 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Goldblum was a hoot.  Glad he lived to the end though I suspect those Star Wars knockoffs (seriously, they were wearing Padme's clothes from Episode 1) will turn him into food very quickly.

It depends on how closely they follow the comics. In those, the Grandmaster is on about the same level of power as Odin; he'd be in no danger from the rebellion, and quite possibly able to quash it by himself if he were of a mind to.

Boy was that a lot of fun!  I'm a bit tired right now from a lack of sleep, so I'll probably be back later to add a few things that I might not be remembering right now, but it looks like most of you have covered all the funny stuff. 

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I think that this was an important movie for Loki character-wise. It felt like Marvel was trying to put him onto the path to be a good-ist guy. Along with his reaction to Odin calling him his son which I mentioned earlier, there was that elevator scene with Thor. He looked hurt when Thor told him that he should stay on that world. Loki then replied that it was what Thor always wanted or that he wanted him gone (I can't remember the exact words). When Thor replied that was what Loki wanted, he had wanted them to fight side by side forever, Loki looked that he had been hit by the truth stick. It reminded me of when Frigga admonished him, "you're always so perceptive about everyone but yourself." He has been lying to himself to rationalize his bad deeds. Yes, his father was wrong to lie about his birth, but that doesn't change the fact that Odin, Frigga, and Thor loved him. He was the one whose ambition to be king and desire for power caused the rift in their family.  Even though he still attempted to doublecross Thor later, I think that realizing that Thor no longer believed that he could be saved or redeemed hit Loki hard, maybe that is why he went back to save Asgard.

I need to take a minute to talk about Tom Hiddleston.  Chris Hemsworth obviously has some great comic timing, but I'm still not sure if he has what it takes to blow us away with his acting skills, but Tom?  I almost ready put him right up there with Cate Blanchett.  All of those emotions were so beautifully done and I could feel what he was thinking.  And even though it was played for humor, the scenes when the Hulk introduced was wonderfully done.  The fear in Loki's face was evident.  That man needs an Oscar calibur movie role--I think he could handle it.  Kudos to TH for taking a character from a fun, summer blockbuster and making us (well most of us--I know there are Loki haters out there) care. 

I was also surprised that this movie was a bit racier than the others with a few more curse words, the "pulled off" joke, naked Hulk (hee!), etc., (except maybe GotG?).

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 9

We were not going to see this yesterday, but the timing of the next few weekends made Saturday night the only one that fit. My poor mom, who has watched all the movies but not more than once, did not remember Heimdall and did not get the Point Break reference. My daughter (11) was getting rather tired of action adventure and she is very much looking forward to seeing it again with friends when we can.

What I really appreciated is that Thor is comfortable in his own skin. He's not trying to be like dad, he's not trying to be a king, he's just trying to do the right thing. But that also made the movie--despite it's sturm and drang and huge consequences--feel very light. There was no dark journey of self discovery. It's an adventure, with high stakes, but that's what heroes do.

I also really loved the Thor/Loki/Odin stuff. Loki's face (Tom Hiddleston was awesome) when Odin says, "That was quite a piece of magic. Frigga would be proud." Loved that whole scene. 

It was just a great movie to start the winter with--bright and heartfelt. Oh man, the colors! Loved it.

• Love 8

My son was telling me that he read that the director allowed for a lot of improve during the filming and he's convinced that the scene were Thor was telling them the Loki/snake story was improved and that Tom's reaction was a real effort to try not to laugh.  At first, I was thinking that it was Loki remembering a fond childhood memory, but it could have been otherwise.  If it was improved, then it worked for the scene.

• Love 8

Am I the only one who cannot stand Tessa Thompson? I know this is unpopular but I've hated her as an actress since her appalling turn on Veronica Mars and I do not see any of the talent other people supposedly see in her. All I see is someone who tries so. hard. to show emotion throughout her scenes that it takes me right out of them. She's one of those actresses that absolutely ruins films for me just for being in them.

That said, I did enjoy this movie a lot. Everything else was spot on for me and I didn't even mind the Dr. Strange cameo (my least favorite Marvel film for sure). Besides, the gratuitous shirtlessness of Chris Hemsworth, that black suit on Loki was a fine piece of costuming. That man was made to fill out a suit. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Reveal hidden contents

also, I get that scheduling conflicts meant Sif couldn't appear, (and I suppose I should be grateful considering she would have probably just been killed off) but they couldn't have put in a single line explaining that she was off exploring another dimension or something? I was more curious about her absence than Jane's. 

I'd like to believe that the original intention/plan was to have Sif in the Valkyrie role. Basically Sif would be the Love Interest and fighting partner that helps Thor along with Loki. I mean the role is practically made for Lady Sif. However, once they realized Jamie Alexander was off the table it was rewritten to introduce a new character/LI. This of course makes me really sad because I've been waiting forever for Thor/Sif and for Sif to get a larger role (exactly like Valkyrie had) ?

Other than the lack of Lady Sif I really enjoyed this movie. They did a great job of writing to Helmsworth's strengths. He's not a great actor and, I personally think he stinks with the drama but, he's very charming and does comedy well.

I've never liked the Thor movies although I've always loved Loki and the Loki/Thor relationship. However, this movie was fantastic. The balance of humor and drama, the use of Hulk and Thor (especially Thor fighting at the beginning). The buddy comedy aspect of Thor/Hulk and Valkyrie was a great addition. As someone else mentioned I did get the feeling that the other Valkyrie who died saving 'Scrapper' was her lover.

I'm glad we also got a bigger role God Idris Elba/Heimdall, he's one of my favorite actors in the MCU.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As someone else mentioned I did get the feeling that the other Valkyrie who died saving 'Scrapper' was her lover.

Yeah, from the way they framed that image in the flashback, and the look on both of their faces, that's how I read it too.  And that level of loss would absolutely explain how she ended up where she was and in the emotional condition that she was in.  I thought it was very deftly handled and added some really deep layers to the storytelling, stuff worthy of rewatching and revisiting.  

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm glad we also got a bigger role God Idris Elba/Heimdall, he's one of my favorite actors in the MCU.

This.  I always thought it was downright criminal to have an actor of Elba's caliber and so dreadfully underuse him in the first two movies.  It's yet another example of Waititi realizing what a quality cast he truly had and maximizing his assets.  Hemsworth does have a bit of a limited range but they finally played to his greatest strength (i.e. comedy) here and it came off beautifully.

• Love 5

I laughed a lot during this movie.  I mean, I was gasping for breath at one point.  I knew that all of these actors could be funny, but they played off each other so well.  Thor and Loki were a good duo already, but I never expected Thor and the Hulk to work this way.  The slapstick, the gallows humor, the over the top pomposity of certain characters - man. 

I second what other have said in that this is the movie where Thor actually felt like the main character, even though this was very much an ensemble.  Hemsworth did very well with the humor and with the more serious notes.  Tom Hiddleston still manages to make Loki weirdly likable for a would be mass murderer.  They definitely took the opportunity of making his ambition look like a little character flaw in comparison to Hela's aims.  They brought him back into line with God of Mischief.  I liked the ways that they played with his illusions in this.

Glad Idris Elba had a bigger role.  I always enjoy Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk/BB.  Cate Blanchett was suitably terrifying.  She has a moment in LOTR when Galadriel was tempted by the one ring, but she went full dark this time.  I feel like Karl Urban could have carried a full villain role rather than a henchman, but it's always nice to see him.

There were some great shots in this, too.  The fall of the Valkyries was tragic and beautiful.  And Thor descending in lightning to Immigrant Song was awesome.

I thought I was crazy and that it couldn't possibly be Matt Damon.  I missed Sam Neill - was he the play Odin?

The wooden spear being good for killing three vampires standing really close together has to be a shoutout to What We Do in the Shadows.

21 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Okay, brace yourself because I'm going to be the voice of dissension: this movie was a tonal nightmare.

You're not wrong.  In the first 30 minutes it was particularly distracting.  I felt like part of that was having to address the set up from the last Marvel movies.  They had to reveal Loki. They had to do something with Odin.  They had to do something with Dr. Strange.  They had to do something with the Warriors Three (though their deaths really were shunted aside).  They had to do something with the Hulk.  After that, it felt like they got to the point where they really wanted to start the movie.  I feel like this has been a frequent problem with recent Marvel movies.

The humor is floating over some surprisingly dark and disturbing subplots.  Odin was an imperialist ruler and Asgard is constructed from the spoils of wars and destruction.  Its people have been encouraged to forget the oppression that allowed them to become a preeminent race in the universe, and the history has been sanitized.  They deny Hela because they have been taught she doesn't exist.  The former conquerors are forced to flee their homeland as galactic refugees, and Thor blissfully assumes that an entire species will get a warm welcome on Earth.  The Grand Master is too sensitive to use the word slave but not above having thousands of them, and pitting them against each other in fights to the death.  It's really a strong message.  I think the humor makes it more palletable, but YMMV.  Oddly I thought the humor was more dissonant in Dr. Strange.

• Love 4

So, basically, Thor is now the recognized king of Asgard and the captain of the Enterprise. Cool. Can't wait until he and Bruce find out about Civil War.

Great movie, even if it went heavy on the humor like GotGv2.  Funny that the trailers with Thor caged weren't set in Sakaar, but were part of an epic centering on Surtur that we'll never get to see. At least Walter Simonson got special thanks in the credits. The bit where Thor throws Mjolnir and basically lets Loki know that his head wouldn't stop its return? Also from Walt.

Hi, Warriors Three! Bye, Warriors Three! Seriously was hoping Volstagg would journey to Midgard with a mad-on for the so-called "Burger King," and that SHIELD would have to intervene. The last thing Fandral heard? "Don't worry. I'll put in a good word for you at DC."

Hela was good as a villain, and she belongs in the upper tier of MCU nemeses, which has a lot of room. I mean, it's basically Loki and Ego, right? And she got what she wanted in the end. The part where she would rule Asgard with Surtur running riot, concluding Ragnarok? Small detail.

Jeff Goldblum was Jeff Golblum. Puzzled why Grandmaster got the final after-credits scene. I wasn't upset . . . unlike Spider-Man: Homecoming, which basically trolled the audience. One more movie to go before we get the Infinity War. Black Panther looks great. Unlike the DCEU, we don't automatically think "failure" with the MCU.

Hulk smashing Thor for the win. Loki getting a kick out of that was a sweet bonus.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

So, basically, Thor is now the recognized king of Asgard and the captain of the Enterprise. Cool. Can't wait until he and Bruce find out about Civil War.

Thor will probably be very annoyed about that. Particularly if there is any discussion about locking Banner up due to the danger from the Hulk. Thor will not take kindly to someone trying to imprison his battle buddy.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Wow...Thor: Ragnarok expected to open at $121M domestically:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/amp/thor/thor_ragnarok/thor-ragnarok-exceeds-expectations-with-a-thunderous-121-million-domestic-debut-427-million-worldwide-a155039

Who would have thought a Thor movie would beat Spiderman?

Anyone who saw the teaser trailer months ago? I mean, it may not have staying power like Wonder Woman did, but Immigrant Song alone is going to put a lot of butts in seats.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Hela was good as a villain, and she belongs in the upper tier of MCU nemeses, which has a lot of room. I mean, it's basically Loki and Ego, right? And she got what she wanted in the end. The part where she would rule Asgard with Surtur running riot, concluding Ragnarok? Small detail.

Add Michael Keaton's Vulture to that list as well and ahead of Ego, who was one of the best MCU villains as well.

• Love 3

Saw this last night. This was amazing overall. It went back to the feel of the first Thor film and dialed it up to 1000. Dark World was too serious and dark to play to Chris Hemsworth's strengths. He does comedy really well and seems to be more engaged with roles that let him do that. Everyone seemed to be having such a good time that it filtered into the audience. The actors/characters had an easy chemistry that helped that too. I loved all the visuals. Like a fun cycadelic ride. Chris and Idris were looking fine in this movie too. At their absolute peaks. Also, and I feel weird admitting this but, CGI Hulk was looking good too. They've improved him a lot since the first Avengers film.

No words to express how much I loved Hela! CB is amazing in almost everything but seeing her all emo and dark was wonderful. I also love that while the heroes did eventually figure out how to defeat her it wasn't through a sudden power up or Hela acting like an idiot. Thor couldn't beat her 1 v 1 in the end. They had to out think her. Too often we see the villain of the film destroy the hero(s) early on and then suddenly become idiots who lose too conveniently.

I just have one nitpicks that bugged the nerd in me. How did all of Asgard forget Hela but Thor and Loki and I'm sure others recalled the valkyries? Asgardians are too long lived for the general populace who were around when Hela was to have forgotten her. And even if Odin went out of his way to purge any mention or memory of her why would he keep the knowledge of the valkyries alive when Hela was the one who caused their extinction? The scene of Hela vs the valkyries was beautiful done though in a very tragic way. Like the fall of the gods in WW.

I did not know Taika voiced Korg! He was adorable.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, benteen said:

Add Michael Keaton's Vulture to that list as well and ahead of Ego, who was one of the best MCU villains as well.

Dang, and I mentioned SMH (funny initials) in my post. Yeah, Adrian Toomes is up there with Loki, Hela and Ego.

Grandmaster doesn't count as a villain, right? He's like the Collector, except he's about putting onaa show. Also, acting like a typical Jeff Goldblum character. "How long is this film? Damn. Must go faster. Must go faster . . . "

• Love 1

I didn't read the book or see the movies, but was I supposed to think of Hunger Games when Thor and the Hulk were fighting?  Something about Jeff's announcing the bout reminded me of the HG trailer.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Dang, and I mentioned SMH (funny initials) in my post. Yeah, Adrian Toomes is up there with Loki, Hela and Ego.

Grandmaster doesn't count as a villain, right? He's like the Collector, except he's about putting onaa show. Also, acting like a typical Jeff Goldblum character. "How long is this film? Damn. Must go faster. Must go faster . . . "

I think he does count as a villain, just not the big bad, He supported the system enslaving Thor, even if he gave The Hulk if not Bruce Banner some sort of good life. But that good life included killing Darryl. So the post credit left open the question if he got his punishment from the revolution. but with the gladiators following Thor he most likely lived if Marvel wants to slot him in another movie.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Thor will probably be very annoyed about that. Particularly if there is any discussion about locking Banner up due to the danger from the Hulk. Thor will not take kindly to someone trying to imprison his battle buddy.

I'd love to see the new talking Hulk beat the crap out of Secretary Ross.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'd like to believe that the original intention/plan was to have Sif in the Valkyrie role. Basically Sif would be the Love Interest and fighting partner that helps Thor along with Loki. I mean the role is practically made for Lady Sif. However, once they realized Jamie Alexander was off the table it was rewritten to introduce a new character/LI. This of course makes me really sad because I've been waiting forever for Thor/Sif and for Sif to get a larger role (exactly like Valkyrie had) ?

Other than the lack of Lady Sif I really enjoyed this movie. They did a great job of writing to Helmsworth's strengths. He's not a great actor and, I personally think he stinks with the drama but, he's very charming and does comedy well.

I've never liked the Thor movies although I've always loved Loki and the Loki/Thor relationship. However, this movie was fantastic. The balance of humor and drama, the use of Hulk and Thor (especially Thor fighting at the beginning). The buddy comedy aspect of Thor/Hulk and Valkyrie was a great addition. As someone else mentioned I did get the feeling that the other Valkyrie who died saving 'Scrapper' was her lover.

I don't think they were ever going for Thor/sif. Jaimie said they asked for her shortly before filming and by then she couldn't reschedule, by then the Tessa has already been casted. I also think they would have done valkyrie whether sif was avaible or not, based on the casting annoucement of valkyrie. The casting described Tessa's character before she was announced to be playing Valkyrie as a superhero with the potential to appear in future MCU films, so this was not just a Thor thing. Sif might have ended up dead if Jaimie was available, at least this way she might appear later.

Another thing is that Chris and Taika wanted to distant this movie from the first two, so they got rid of most things from the first two. IMHO it worked, hulk/Banner and Valkyrie are huge upgrade from the warriors three and Sif.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'd love to see the new talking Hulk beat the crap out of Secretary Ross.

Big problem there unless Ross was a secret alien, as humanoid aliens it seems are always stronger than terrains, Hulk can't get involved with this one it would be like seeing Darryl smashed. Bruce Banner on the other hand

• Love 1