Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

, finally, a movie that showed Thor at his absolute best. I loved it. I just really loved it.

I have to agree with this. I remember twice during the movie (first and last fight sequences) where I thought to myself Finally got Thor Right!

I had the same reaction during Avengers with Hulk, when it finally felt like someone understood how to use/show Hulk in a fight.

• Love 3

I thought that this was fun, if not all that it was built up to be. Some of the reactions made it seem like some kind of Marvel gamechanger, but my reaction was pretty much the same as the typical MCU film: an enjoyable enough way to pass a couple of hours, albeit one I'll have likely forgotten all about within a week or so. The highlights were the colourful visuals, Korg, Blanchett single-handedly elevating Hela from your typical paper-thin Marvel villain, the snake story (the funniest scene for me), and Hemsworth at perhaps his all time hottest with the short hair and new costume (I agree with the praise for his comic-timing too, which was great).

I kind of wish they had held back on the reveal of Hulk as Thor's opponent in the arena, and Thor's reaction, in the trailers. Although at least Loki's reaction was new, and that was probably the funniest part of the scene.

Using Asgard as a metaphor for European imperialism and historical whitewashing was an interesting idea, but the film didn't really commit to it enough for it to have much impact.

Also, while I enjoyed most of the comedy aspects of the movie, I'm really kind of over the "build up to a potentially epic/sincere moment only to immediately undercut it with a gag or quip" joke structure that these films seem to be defaulting to more and more. It's gotten to the point where it just feels lazy and cheap, and frankly, expected. 

Although, if Odin's death scene was the example for how any "serious" scenes were going to be played out, it might be a good thing that they mostly avoided them the rest of the way. Because wow, that gave me secondhand embarrassment for everyone involved. I'm assuming from the change in location in the part where Hela shatters Mjolnir (in the trailer it seemed to take place in a city) that it was a reshoot, and boy does it show. I saw a comment elsewhere that it felt like the whole thing was written and filmed over a long lunch break, which pretty much sums it up.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 4

The humor can be criticized by going overboard at times. Case in point, when on Sakaar Thor takes the ball and goes to smash the window to make his getaway it was pretty obvious what was going to happen next. Not only was this too obvious it also undercuts the character by making him look too much of a doofus. This is a case where perhaps no one single gag like this is necessarily a problem but the cumulative effect is.

I can also make a more general criticism of the MCU, particularly the space based parts. There seems to be a lack of imagination and commitment to the science fiction/fantasy in terms of basic background worldbuilding. Is (was) Asgard just some artificial 'planet' created by "technology sufficiently advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic" and existing within our space-time continuum along with all rest of the "nine realms" or a naturally occurring landmass residing on another plane of existence whose inhabitants have access to magic, advanced tech, and magitech? Of what galaxy are the GotG the guardians? In the comics Xandar is in the Andromeda galaxy. Is that the case in the movies? Do the producers even care? Do they know what a galaxy is? As a bit of a SF&F geek I want these things thought through and hammered out before shooting starts.

• Love 2

Count me in as another one who loved this movie.  They did add a lot of humor, but they managed to get the heavy stuff in there without being overwhelming.  The balance worked and it adds a bit of realism to find humor in the heavy moments and vice versa.  Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston both really got a chance to shine in this movie and I like where their relationship as brothers has gone.  And they both have excellent comic delivery.  Thor half running away saying, the 'sun's getting low' will never not be funny.

As a fan of Doctor Strange I enjoyed his cameo, and Thor wrecking nearly everything in there.  And the joke that Loki put his father in an old folks home (Shady Acres).  And of course: "I've been falling for thirty minutes!"

The stuff on Sakaar felt very different from any of the Marvel "space" movies but it worked (and I noticed the little touch about a portal taking them to Xandar) and especially once the Hulk showed up.  As cool as it would be to get a solo Hulk movie (I know the rights are tied up between Marvel and Universal), I like watching Ruffalo's Hulk and Banner both playing off of other characters.  And then Jeff Goldblum at his Goldblumiest.

Valkyrie was awesome in this movie and I can't wait to see more of her.  Tessa Thompson is my new MCU crush.

• Love 4

Box Office: ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Rules Worldwide, Tops $650 Million Mark

Globally, “Thor: Ragnarok” has already topped the lifetime totals of both 2011’s “Thor” ($449 million) and 2013’s “Thor: The Dark World” ($644 million). The international total has also eclipsed the earlier 2017 releases of Fox’s “Logan” at $391 million and Warner’ Bros.’ “Wonder Woman” at $409 million, to place it as the ninth biggest release of 2017 internationally.

Disney said Sunday that “Thor: Ragnarok” is tracking 12% ahead of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” and +21% ahead of “Doctor Strange” at the same point of its release.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Hmm, I wonder if Thor can break the Billion Dollar Mark? I think it'll safely end up in the high $800M - low $900M but, would be surprisingly cool if it did break $1B.

Although with Justice League premiering this week it may put a major kibosh on Thor's numbers going forward.

• Love 1

I had forgotten about Mjolnir disguised as an umbrella. It took me a moment to figure it out. I wasn't a fan of the Dr. Strange cameo because I didn't like the movie, but I cracked up when Thor reached out his hand to retrieve Mjolnir and you could hear everything in the way being smashed and Thor apologized. Hilarious.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
On 11/12/2017 at 10:16 PM, JustaPerson said:

I was disappointed when they killed off Hela. I was hoping they would somehow re-imprison her. She was so fabulously terrifying! Can we get Cate Blanchett back as a different unrelated villain in a different hair color?

I was hoping she would portray Death and get a thing going with Thanos. To be clear, I don't mean having Cate play a different character, but rather that Hella would be Mistress Death for Thanos.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

Although, if Odin's death scene was the example for how any "serious" scenes were going to be played out, it might be a good thing that they mostly avoided them the rest of the way. Because wow, that gave me secondhand embarrassment for everyone involved. I'm assuming from the change in location in the part where Hela shatters Mjolnir (in the trailer it seemed to take place in a city) that it was a reshoot, and boy does it show. I saw a comment elsewhere that it felt like the whole thing was written and filmed over a long lunch break, which pretty much sums it up.

I thought some of the darker/serious moments in the film were done well but Odin's death did feel like it wasn't given the proper weight, especially in comparison to how Frigga's death was handled in the The Dark World.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I thought some of the darker/serious moments in the film were done well but Odin's death did feel like it wasn't given the proper weight, especially in comparison to how Frigga's death was handled in the The Dark World.

Agreed, that was the only scene in the entire movie that didn't work for me. When Odin was talking about the end of his life, the scene was so mellow that I thought he had months or maybe a few years left and wanted to spend them peacefully in Norway. Then 30 seconds later he's turning into a puff of sparkles and floating away and I was like, "Oh! Oh, so we're doing this now. Okay. Bye?"

• Love 4

I think maybe it was due to the nature of the deaths. Odin was essentially dying peacefully of old age, ready to move on and to see his wife again. He lived a good full life and was at peace with his death, aside from the fact that it would release Hela. Frigga on the other hand was violently murdered during an invasion of their home and her death was unexpected and traumatic.

• Love 11

So, Odin was kind of a jerk, hmm?  Used Hela to conquer others, built his kingdom and then locked her up, rewriting history in the process.   Hela could be an unreliable narrator but the pictures seemed to tell the story.  I'm guessing Frigga wasn't her mother?  Since they are not following Norse mythology, anything can happen.  I am curious about their history (what prompted Odin's change? did he try to get her to change?) but we probably won't learn more.  I actually felt some sympathy for Hela and I enjoyed Cate Blanchett's portrayal.  Plus, she looked fabulous.  Fenrir in Norse mythology was sympathetic IIRC so I hope he made it through Ragnarok here - we didn't see him at the end.

I thought they a decent job was done of mixing the humor - a real strength of Chris Hemsworth's "Turning, annd turning back around" - and the serious bits.   Like a few of you, some of the humor made our heroes look a little dumb, rather than fallible, and that bugged a little but not enough to take away from my overall enjoyment - I really liked it.  The big action sequences were a little too video game for me (get off my lawn) but that's a minor point. 

Nitpicky done, I thought it was a lot of fun.  Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was a great addition and she got a fun introduction.  I liked her rapport with Thor and Hulk and thought the fight with Loki was well done.   Bruce Banner being overwhelmed by being another planet made sense, I liked that nod to hey this is a new thing!

Jeff Goldblum was, well, Jeff Goldblum and his henchwoman was funny, playing it straight-faced - "Did I ask for the melty stick" LOL.

Loved Korg!  "New Doug" haha.  What a scene stealer.  Glad he made it, along with his not dead buddy.

Sooo glad Idris Elba's Heimdall got more screen time and was awesomely heroic.  A movie with him, Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston - swoon.

Speaking of Loki, I really appreciated that Thor didn't fall for his trickery but that you still can't trust him.  He wouldn't be Loki if you could trust him (and he totally took the tessaract).  He does have feelings, we know how he felt about Frigga and it I thought the scene with him, Thor and Odin was moving.  We didn't get a brotherly hug at the end and we may never but they'll always be brothers.  Hee, I liked that in this movie Loki got the "he's adopted!" line. 

I was on the fence about this one but am really glad I saw it.  Just the thing for a pick me up.

• Love 4

I just came back from this and wow, I laughed a lot. It really felt different than the previous two movies but I think there was a lot of growth with a lot of characters.

I loved Hulk and how much he looked like Banner. I kinda like that he looked less like a monster and more like Banner bc he was obviously working out and I think Banner’s brains were starting to leak through. I would be super bummed if Banner was dead or gone, because I really like his and Tony’s relationship. And...his and Nat’s (what, I kinda liked that she fell for the geeky rage monster). I also really liked Hulk’s and Valkyrie’s relationship. “I feel like I know you.” LOL. I hope they see them together in the future fighting together.

Speaking of Valkyrie, what a bad ass. I loved every moment of her’s. She is a welcomed and definitely needed female warrior who I cannot wait to see with the other Marvel characters. 

However, once again for me, Thor and Loki together stole the show. I think the casting Gods struck gold with Chris and Tom. From Loki’s “oh shit” to Thor’s elevator speech, I was charmed by their relationship. Tom’s facial expressions just kill me. From listening to Odin, Loki looked like a little boy. The elevator speech and Loki’s reactions were heartbreaking but a needed conversation. Loki has built this idea of what their relationship is, and to hear Thor make the comment of fighting with Loki, I think he knocked down that wall quite a bit. I really hope from here on forward, Loki is more the mischevous Loki and less evil Loki. I hated Loki in the other movies and seeing this, I really wish Loki had been affected by the tesseract, because I really loved him and Thor together as brothers. I cant imagine ANY of the Avengers welcoming him back, so dont know how thats going to go.

I LOVED the running gag of Thor throwing stuff at Loki to see if he was really there. And I liked when he was there at the end. I was kinda nervous when everything blew up and we didnt see Loki escape. I liked that they panned over the ship and his ship was there.

Thor showed a lot of growth, and I liked that he was goofier. It really felt like the Avengers had rubbed off on him. I could hear the sass of Tony, Clint and Natasha when he said certain things. Even the sacrifice play is right out of Steve’s playbook. And holy haircut Batman. Im glad they cut it...and now I want to see Loki with short hair. I know it would have been Lord of the Rings a ton of endings but I wish we would have seen Thor coaxing Hulk to get Banner back at the end. Actually, I wish we would have had a Loki and Banner moment at the end too. His fear in the arena was spot on.

• Love 10
On 11/19/2017 at 9:53 AM, raven said:

So, Odin was kind of a jerk, hmm?  Used Hela to conquer others, built his kingdom and then locked her up, rewriting history in the process.   Hela could be an unreliable narrator but the pictures seemed to tell the story.  I'm guessing Frigga wasn't her mother?  Since they are not following Norse mythology, anything can happen.  I am curious about their history (what prompted Odin's change? did he try to get her to change?) but we probably won't learn more.

There was a line about Hela trying to kill Odin and take his throne for herself, so it doesn't seem to have been a random whim on Odin's part. Perhaps the attempted patricide made him do some soul-searching and decide to mellow out? I can certainly see it not being a story he wanted to tell younger generations. It's odd though, the flashback to 5,000 years ago in The Dark World indicated that Asgard was fulfilling a protective role under Bor's rule, and they conquered at least one of the Nine Worlds (Svartalfheim) at that time rather than during Odin's reign. Did Odin's succession lead to a more imperial, expansionist phase for the Asgardians?

I also thought it was odd just how invincible they made Hela when Odin himself was never shown to be that powerful in the MCU. Loki was able to take him by surprise and incapacitate him; you'd think Odin's sons working together would be a match for their older sibling. I'd have preferred it if they made her about as strong/tough as Thor and a bit better fighter (maybe have her intercept Mjolnir with a portal like the one she emerged from to remove it from the playing field instead of destroying it), and had hordes she commanded from Hel and Niffleheim be the deciding factor in taking over Asgard as an alternative to effortlessly destroying the whole realm's military singlehandedly.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2017 at 4:31 AM, coppersin said:

Agreed, that was the only scene in the entire movie that didn't work for me. When Odin was talking about the end of his life, the scene was so mellow that I thought he had months or maybe a few years left and wanted to spend them peacefully in Norway. Then 30 seconds later he's turning into a puff of sparkles and floating away and I was like, "Oh! Oh, so we're doing this now. Okay. Bye?"

IA.  Once he dies, that's it.  Odin is the Allfather of the Nine realms, leader to billions of people, and yet there's no mourning, or any real mention of him beyond Thor's visions.  Even seeing people praying or sobbing back in Asgard would have sufficed.  They did a better job with Frigga's funeral, easily one of the most moving scenes in the Thor series.  

Didn't like the Hela reveal for the same reason.  It brings up too many questions that they made no attempt to answer.  Was she Odin and Frigga's child?  Where has she been all this time?  How is her escape tied to Odin's death?  And no one in Asgard remembers anything about the carnage? 

Them glazing over this kind of stuff was what I was concerned about when I heard that the movie was taking a more lighthearted tone.  You could tell that they didn't want to get too deep into this so they could get to the fun stuff, but the emotional stuff is just as important.  It doesn't have to take away from the humor.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

I'm still not sure if I liked this movie.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:37 PM, wingster55 said:

I can't get behind the positive reaction of this movie. Thor and Loki were essentially given personality transplants to make them "funny" and it just didn't gel with me. Their father died and they spend the next 90 minutes making joke after joke. This isn't Guardians of the Galaxy. 

It was a fun movie to watch. .. but yeah, it all felt like a fluffy cloud of jokes with no substance - and easily forgettable. 

Odin dies, the Warriors 3 die, all of Asgard's soliders die, and Asgard is destroyed  (including all wildlife, natural wonders, historical artifacts,  pets,  & anyone not part of the escape party ) ... but Thor and and the rock guy shrug their shoulders and crack jokes.

Was Asgard a city or a planet? It seemed odd that the entire population appeared to be made up of a few hundred people - a group that  could fit on a small section of  the rainbow bridge - and into one spacecraft. Asgard had more high rise towers than people? 

Thor said a few times that Asgard was its people and not its location. ... but Thor didn't even appear to know any of the rescued people. Eh. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I was watching Jeremy Jahns Spoiler Review of Thor and he mentioned something that I didn't think of. He thinks that Bruce Banner is officially dead in the MCU and that going forward we'll only have Hulk. He based it on Bruce saying that being under for 2 years and that if he goes under again he may never come back. He also pointed out that when Bruce hit the Rainbow Bridge he pretty much looked dead, dead.

I didn't even think about it at the time but, now I'm wondering what others think. Do you think Banner is dead, dead and Hulk is all that's left? Because that would make me sad, especially since we won't get a Tony/Bruce reunion

I love Mark Ruffalo, but he was looking pretty old and worn out. I suppose part of that was on purpose, but still. I think he's about the age Bill Bixby was when IH series on TV ended(without looking it up, just guessing). I still remember to this day, BB's deliverance of the line "I'm free" as he lay dying after the Hulk fell out of the helicopter in the last television appearance he did. Awesome actor and so good in the role.

So, Odin was kind of a jerk, hmm

Not exactly a newsflash, that's been evident to me since moment one.

It was a fun movie to watch. .. but yeah, it all felt like a fluffy cloud of jokes with no substance - and easily forgettable

I think easily forgettable is the best description possible. I had no problem rewatching the first two Thor movies. I have no desire really, to rewatch this one.

And can I just shout out again a thank GOD for no SIF or Jane ? Easily two of the most annoying female characters on a movie screen in the past decade. And that's a hard feat to accomplish considering every movie with Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer was done in that time frame.

Thor didn't even appear to know any of the rescued people

You caught that too, huh ? It was pretty funny-unintentionally.

Edited by IWantCandy71

I assumed that the number of Asgardian refugees is as small as it is due to Hela's massacre when she returned.  We saw her destroy the Asgard forces herself and then her zombies hunted down everyone else.  That group brought to her to reveal the location of the sword was pretty small which suggests that there weren't a lot of people left to gather.  If it weren't for Heimdall smuggling people to the mountain for safety then the surviving Asgardians might have just been him, Thor, Valkyrie, and Loki.

27 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I assumed that the number of Asgardian refugees is as small as it is due to Hela's massacre when she returned.  We saw her destroy the Asgard forces herself and then her zombies hunted down everyone else.  That group brought to her to reveal the location of the sword was pretty small which suggests that there weren't a lot of people left to gather.  If it weren't for Heimdall smuggling people to the mountain for safety then the surviving Asgardians might have just been him, Thor, Valkyrie, and Loki.

Since it seems that everyone has seen this movie I won’t put in spoiler tags. 

But the after credit scene showed Thanos’ ship intercepting the Asgardians and the new Infinity War trailer showed someone stepping over dead bodies(who I assume are the Asgardians)so I think Thanos massacres the last of them. 

Marvel is brutal, the Asgardians escaped one apocalypse just to walk right into another one. 

7 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

new Infinity War trailer showed someone stepping over dead bodies(who I assume are the Asgardians)

I saw where someone pointed out that was Ebony Maw, so the stepping over bodies might not be the Asgardian ship... it might be some other place they've decimated (maybe Nova Corps?  Or something from The Collector?).  But the Asgardians are in deep shit either way.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I saw where someone pointed out that was Ebony Maw, so the stepping over bodies might not be the Asgardian ship... it might be some other place they've decimated (maybe Nova Corps?  Or something from The Collector?).  But the Asgardians are in deep shit either way.  

Unfortunately it definitely is the Asgardian ship. The gladiator with the full head helmet who was on ship is one of the bodies.

• Love 3

Finally saw this the other day, it's easily the best of the Thor movies (which probably isn't saying much), and I'm sure it's in the better half of the Marvel movies.  They seem to have their formula down for making entertaining, fun films.  It's amazing all the star power they can fit into these films, with Anthony Hopkins, Matt Damon, Sam Neill, etc.  They had both Neill and Goldblum from Jurassic Park in here, which was awesome.

Doctor Strange's scenes here were better than his movie IMO.

Nice to see the "Executioner's Last Stand" from the comic books included as well.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 1:47 AM, rmontro said:

Nice to see the "Executioner's Last Stand" from the comic books included as well.

Yep. Though somewhat marred by my awareness that bullets from normal machine guns should be bouncing harmlessly off of Asgardian armor and flesh. In the comics it was the mortal dead under Hela's control that he held the bridge against, not reanimated Asgardians.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:29 PM, Wynterwolf said:

I wonder if it's Heimdall that sends Thor to the Guardians and Bruce to Dr. Strange...?

I wonder if there is a chance that Thor can use the Time Stone to travel back and save the Asgardians.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

Saw it a couple of nights ago at a cheap theatre and really enjoyed it. Hela was awesome and I loved that her actions had some serious consequences. I mean half of Asgard is dead including most of their warriors and their homeland is destroyed. And yes Odin is kind of a crappy dad, looking back at the first Thor, Thor should be happy he was only banished to earth.

And there were lots of funny and cool little bits. My favourite was Thor dropping mjolnir in the dragon's mouth so it couldn't move. 

The only thing that bugged me were the unlimited bullets in Skurge's rifles.

Also if the eternal flame can bring people back to life, why couldn't they use it on Frigga in The Dark World?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The only thing that bugged me were the unlimited bullets in Skurge's rifles.

Also if the eternal flame can bring people back to life, why couldn't they use it on Frigga in The Dark World?

Didn't Skurge run out of bullets at the very end?  It's been a while since I've seen it, and I don't quite remember.

The eternal flame couldn't bring anyone back to life, only Surtur.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Lugal said:

The eternal flame couldn't bring anyone back to life, only Surtur.

Didn't the eternal flame also bring Hela's army back to life? And Fenrir?

Those guys were kinda zombie-fied. Not sure any of them would want to do that to Frigga. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lugal said:

Didn't Skurge run out of bullets at the very end?  It's been a while since I've seen it, and I don't quite remember.

It did, but he seemed like he shot a shit ton of bullets before running out.

2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Didn't the eternal flame also bring Hela's army back to life? And Fenrir?

Those guys were kinda zombie-fied. Not sure any of them would want to do that to Frigga. 

I can buy that. Also thinking of it more don't Vikings celebrate death, like Valhalla and such? If that is the case i could see not wanting to bring her back.

Me before seeing Thor: Ragnarok:  I know Jane Foster's not the greatest character and her and Thor aren't the best romance but I think I'll miss her.

Me once Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie shows up: Jane who?

I'm going to say hanging out with Tony Stark for so long is why Thor is so much more of a wiseass!

Damn, Cate Blanchett is SEXY as Hela.

• Love 12

I recently saw this and enjoyed it immensely. I think it is the best Thor movie out of the three. The other two bored me to tears save for Loki who was the only saving grace. Watching Jane and Thor was like watching paint dry. Valkyrie was a huge upgrade. 

I enjoyed the comedy and the appearance by the Hulk. 

I will say I thought they spent way too much time on the trash planet and felt like things didn’t really pick up until the last 30 or so minutes of the movie. 

I guess I’m in the minority, but I thought CB was just okay. I loved her get up. But really everytime the storyline switched to her I was bored and ready to get back to Thor, which is crazy because CH is probably the worst actor ever cast as a superhero and has very little charisma. However, he was more engaging in this, and  I thought the short hair looked amazing on him. 

Anyway, fun movie. 

• Love 3

What's amazing is even though it's wackier and goofier, I was much more emotionally involved in this one. Like I couldn't really GAF about the outcome of the previous two Thor movies but here, even though they're extremely long-lived aliens, I cared about the fate of the Asgardians and wanted them to survive. So much so that the implications of the first post-credit scene and the Infinity War trailer is upsetting to me. They understood all it takes is just a few scenes to show the audience that they're like regular people. Like the family that Heimdall saved or the old woman Skurge was about to execute.

Skurge BTW was one of my favorites. Karl Urban was so funny in his first scene. "I got these from a place in Midgard called Tex-Ahs" and showing off his M-16s "I call this 'Des" and 'Troy". When I put them together it's "Destroy!"

• Love 10

. But really everytime the storyline switched to her I was bored and ready to get back to Thor, which is crazy because CH is probably the worst actor ever cast as a superhero and has very little charisma.

IMHO, CH is a great comedic actor, which is why he was so much more engaging in Ragnarok. Although I did love CB, too.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

IMHO, CH is a great comedic actor, which is why he was so much more engaging in Ragnarok. Although I did love CB, too.

Yeah, when Thor is basically this charming jock who just wants to kick ass he's great. We saw some of it in the first movie but little in the Avengers movies and the Thor: The Dark World.

My favorite Hemsworth moments is when he tries to talk first the Hulk and then Banner into helping him. Some people think it was OOC for him to be so manipulative to either of them but they really never had a relationship in previous movies so I believed it.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Ragnarok is the first film to have a fully realized Thor imo.

In the initial film, the character is played so straight ahead he becomes generic, albeit tempered with a slight bit of CH's trademark cheekiness.

The sequel, however, divests Thor of most of his charm to double down on a convoluted plot & a pointless overdose of Kat Dennings.

Ragnarok gives him a wealth of emotions to play, in a fairly straight ahead plot, while subverting most of the usual toxic masculinity tropes.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Dee said:

Ragnarok is the first film to have a fully realized Thor imo.

In the initial film, the character is played so straight ahead he becomes generic, albeit tempered with a slight bit of CH's trademark cheekiness.

The sequel, however, divests Thor of most of his charm to double down on a convoluted plot & a pointless overdose of Kat Dennings.

Ragnarok gives him a wealth of emotions to play, in a fairly straight ahead plot, while subverting most of the usual toxic masculinity tropes.

(I personally like Kat Dennings in these movies) but yeah just the entire section where he's on Sakaar is great. Just his WTF? reaction to like the Grandmaster Disneyland-style tour where it's playing "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka to his yelling "OH MY GOD!" when the Grandmaster melted the dude next to him and him first being blustery and threatening when they're about to shave him and then begging like a little boy "Please don't cut my hair!" to the barber played by Stan Lee!

It shows out of all the Avengers he really was the best person to first step into this weird cosmic side of the MCU occupied by characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy.   Tony would just find it amusing and enjoy it. Cap, as we've seen to him adjusting pretty well to the 21st century, nothing really fazes him. Same with Clint and Natasha two normal SHIELD agents have already faced things like aliens and robots so they'd learn to roll with it.   Thor comes from space but it's a place that's basically just medieval times with advanced tech so Sakaar would be both totally bizarre to him and also easy for him to figure out.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

(I personally like Kat Dennings in these movies)

I didn't mind her in the initial film. She added just the right amount of comic relief until The Warriors 3 & Sif arrive. It's the second film where she becomes like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Partially because she, nor her intern, have no bearing on the primary plot, but also because the tone of the sequel is so ridiculously self serious, all of their attempts at humor fall really flat.

Their screentime could've been better utilized to better deal with Selvig's mental situation or building up the Dark Elves or giving Frigga more to do so that her sacrifice feels meaningful, instead of a foregone conclusion.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dee said:

I didn't mind her in the initial film. She added just the right amount of comic relief until The Warriors 3 & Sif arrive. It's the second film where she becomes like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Partially because she, nor her intern, have no bearing on the primary plot, but also because the tone of the sequel is so ridiculously self serious, all of their attempts at humor fall really flat.

It's because Jane and Darcy are separated through most of the movie. Without Darcy, Jane is boring and without Jane, Darcy has no purpose.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Their screentime could've been better utilized to better deal with Selvig's mental situation or building up the Dark Elves or giving Frigga more to do so that her sacrifice feels meaningful, instead of a foregone conclusion.

What works in the movie is everything about Loki and the fallout from his actions in Avengers. I'm glad they decided to add Loki's trial in the reshoots. It was originally never shown but Kevin Feige liked it depicted in a tie-in comic.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
On 04/02/2018 at 7:44 AM, VCRTracking said:

It's because Jane and Darcy are separated through most of the movie. Without Darcy, Jane is boring and without Jane, Darcy has no purpose.

What works in the movie is everything about Loki and the fallout from his actions in Avengers. I'm glad they decided to add Loki's trial in the reshoots. It was originally never shown but Kevin Feige liked it depicted in a tie-in comic.

Hang on a second - are you saying that Jane isn't boring when she is with Darcy?

• Love 3

My visceral loathing for Darcy Lewis was powerful and instantaneous, so I was unsurprised when every teenage fanfic writer on the internet gleefully embraced her as the perfect self-insert and started feverishly typing stories about the Avengers throwing Darcy surprise parties and pairing her up with whichever inappropriately-aged hero the writer found dreamiest.

• Love 4

On other previous characters as sad it was that Hela killed the Warriors Three so quicky and easily in Raganrok, it was necessary to show how evil Hela was. She couldn't just wipe out the Asgardian army, a bunch of faceless redshirts, she needed to kill characters people liked. On that note it was a good thing Darcy wasn't in the movie because a lot of fans would've loved to see her get killed!

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

My visceral loathing for Darcy Lewis was powerful and instantaneous, so I was unsurprised when every teenage fanfic writer on the internet gleefully embraced her as the perfect self-insert and started feverishly typing stories about the Avengers throwing Darcy surprise parties and pairing her up with whichever inappropriately-aged hero the writer found dreamiest.

Bahahah i saw so many Darcy/Bucky fics and yeah she somehow became the most important character to the avengers LOL. Never understood it because I didn't see anything special in Thor1 other than not being horribly boring like Jane. Plus, I find the actress grating