Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Can you imagine if he gets a Ph.D and insisted on being called Dr. Vuolo while at the compound? It's be a race to see who loses it first: Derrick or Jim Boob.

This needs to happen. 

• Love 16

Also, I'm glad he's going to a real school, but I assume he is starting this fall? I would not have wanted to start a program with a newborn child. I found grad school stressful enough just taking care of myself and a Chihuahua. Can't imagine having an infant in the house, even if most of the day-to-day care falls to Jinger. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The way he worded his post, it sounds like he's doing the 28 unit program in Theology. Still, that's a lot of Jinger's teevee money to be spending for even one year's tuition.

How do we know he’s using Jingers TV money  and not his own TV money? he appears on the show too. Maybe they are like a lot of the rest of us- we jpintly own the money together regardless of who earns the money. Stay at home Moms deserve spending money without begging for  it for example, 

• Love 7

For comparison, my husband’s alma mater is $24k per year for a 3 year MDiv.  So I don’t think the tuition is totally out of range, but I don’t know anything about this program.  Good for him for wanting to further his education.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I don't get that vibe from Jeremy at all. It's an opinion, not something "we all knew." 

Yeah, I must have missed the posts about Jeremy being destitute until he married Jinger too. His lifestyle certainly hasn't suddenly changed overnight. He's always struck me as someone who came from some sort of money. Whether it was his, his parents, his grandparents, I couldn't tell you, but he certainly wasn't hurting for funds until he married her. 

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

I can’t knock it. He wants to be a pastor, so he’s going to get more education to help him reach his goal. (A real live school, not that fake thing Derick’s in). To me, it shows that he’s looking past TLC to the future.  If they use the TLC money, so what?  Jinger certainly earned that money growing up in her crazy family. 

I think JinJer in LA would be really entertaining. What else do the Duggars have anymore?

Well, I  certainly don't hold it against him that he wants to further his education. If he's using his money from TLC, then it's a good use of his investment. I can't totally knock it if he's taking loans. 

However I have mixed feelings if he's using money Jinger's earning/has earned from TLC.  It's her choice, but I rather see the money Jinger earned go towards her education. But this is all speculation.

6 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Yeah, I must have missed the posts about Jeremy being destitute until he married Jinger too. His lifestyle certainly hasn't suddenly changed overnight. He's always struck me as someone who came from some sort of money. Whether it was his, his parents, his grandparents, I couldn't tell you, but he certainly wasn't hurting for funds until he married her. 

I don't think he came from any serious money. I agree he wasn't destitute when he married Jinger. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Can you imagine if he gets a Ph.D and insisted on being called Dr. Vuolo while at the compound? It's be a race to see who loses it first: Derrick or Jim Boob.

Omg. I would love that so much!  

• Love 6

If they move to California that gets them farther away from Jim-Bob/Michelle/all the Duggars and drastically decreases the chances that there will be any pop-up visits by the family, so yay. 

• Love 20
On 5/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, awaken said:

Yeah, exactly. What is she taking a break from, other than her everyday life of keeping house for two adults and gestating, and him reading theology books and occasionally showing up at church in between other fun trips?  As most people do, we worked, took care of our other children, while I was pregnant, and no one donated vacations for us!  

Yes, but, wouldn't it have been wonderful if they did?  Would you really have declined??

On 5/12/2018 at 6:40 AM, beagletime said:

As other have said, relaxing from what?  Except for reading a book for a church book club, Jinger doesn't appear to do anything.  Except for keeping house how stressful is her life?  We never even see much evidence of Jeremy working or caring for his flock.  Jinger is like all the other clueless Duggars.  Just in nicer clothes. 

On 5/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, Totally said:

My eye rolling stands... what do either of them need relaxing from, they’re always away somewhere, relaxing with books and coffee

On 5/12/2018 at 10:58 AM, BitterApple said:

The thought of JinJer taking a babymoon grinds my gears. Their entire life is one continuous vacation. When is Jeremy ever at his church? They're gone practically every weekend.

If someone gets them a gift I don't expect them to turn it down, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

18 hours ago, Marigold said:

The caption bugged me, I admit.  SO many people work SO hard.  Jeremy does not come to mind when I think of people who need to relax and get away. That's all we see is coffee, books and Jeremy's image.  I understand that they have a life outside of social media but considering how much they do post, it's weird we don't see anything other than them lounging around.  Isn't a pastor supposed to do more than craft these AMAZING sermons????   He is completely out of touch with reality and has no clue.  Not a good mix for a pastor, in my opinion. 

I bet Jinger paid for the vacation out of TLC earnings and they didn't want to admit they have that much money lying around for extras or the gifts will dry up. 

I'm just not impressed with this couple, as you all know!  Jeremy just grates on my nerves...he is like that snobby and fake jock from high school. 

I'm not sure it's fair to take one's social media as an accurate account of how one spends his/her time day to day.  Speaking for myself, if I posted my normal daily grind on my facebook/instagram, all my friends would probably unfriend me, post-haste, as they'd all be dying from boredom!  I've always thought that most people post fun/exciting/cute/funny - basically, out of the ordinary - things on their social media accounts, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption on my part?

In any case, I really have no idea what a normal day looks like for Jeremy and Jinger, and I would seriously hesitate to take what we see on tv and/or their social media accounts as being very representative of their daily lives.  Could be, don't get me wrong, but very well could be completely different than everyday life for them, as well.

Having said that, even if they do have lives of leisure, does that preclude them from being able to enjoy nice things?  If they paid for it themselves, then perhaps they are working more than most think.  If they were in fact gifted the vacation, then how very thoughtful of their friend(s)!  And if TLC paid for the trip, then they were basically working.  Not saying that it wouldn't still be enjoyable to be on vacation in a beautiful location, but it would be signficantly less "relaxing" to do so with cameras shoved in your face shooting the same scenes over and over, etc.

I also don't really understand what is wrong with allocating some of your resources to nice things for yourself.  Personally, I tithe and give to other causes that are important to me in a way that aligns with my values and because I'm comfortable/at peace with that aspect of my life, I'm also comfortable with allocating some of my income for things that I guess a lot of people would judge as extravagant and somehow "wrong."  In any case, these posts are all interesting to me precisely because of the differences in opinion, and I enjoy hearing others' perspectives on things, thinking about things in a way I perhaps haven't before, and mulling it all over in my mind.  :-)

• Love 20
12 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I guess I shouldn't snark because investing in (real) education is a much wiser move than blowing six figures on a doomed senate campaign, I just hope Jeremy appreciates how much his life has upgraded since marrying our little Jingle. 

As far as L.A., I'm one who believes Jeremy could do well in California. He's athletic, good-looking and polished. I think people would be drawn to his aesthetic, he just needs to learn how to give a sermon that doesn't put them into a coma.

Eh, I'll snark.  Accredited or not, it's still "divinity." I mean, really. I'll give him points for actually working towards his goal instead of insisting on riding the Duggar coattails, but the subject matter leaves much to be desired. And I don't know the culture of L.A. apart from pop culture, but--while I do agree that generally Jeremy could do well there--how likely is if for a conservative christian pastor to find success there? He'd have to be a hell of a lot more charismatic than Jeremy.

• Love 10
(edited)
43 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Eh, I'll snark.  Accredited or not, it's still "divinity." I mean, really. I'll give him points for actually working towards his goal instead of insisting on riding the Duggar coattails, but the subject matter leaves much to be desired. And I don't know the culture of L.A. apart from pop culture, but--while I do agree that generally Jeremy could do well there--how likely is if for a conservative christian pastor to find success there? He'd have to be a hell of a lot more charismatic than Jeremy.

Well, he's been sucking up to John MacArthur a lot over the past year or so. I'm sure he daydreams of being his successor or getting something else in the big-preacher-in-a-sophisticated-setting ballpark. But the charisma and -- I expect, though there's less evidence on this point so maybe he's smarter than he appears on social media -- the quick brain are likely to be a barrier. I'm sure he's very far from the only guy with that daydream, and as church attendance continues to slowly drop, the slots will get fewer so the competition will get tougher. 

Nevertheless, I'm happy when any Duggar-related person goes after any kind of training or education, and I even include Bin's and Der's stuff in that. Meeting new people and trying to learn stuff, even if it's two-bit stuff, expands people, and expansion can only be good for them. (I'd say "Duggar or Duggar-related" here, but unfortunately actual Duggars don't seem to do this.)

They've only got Jill's midwifery-training-under-crazy-non-midwives and her flailing attempts to learn Spanish and Joe's three-months-at-Crown's-vacation-God-bothering-school. ... And, actually, I give them both some props even for those things, and I'm glad they did them. That shows more curiosity and initiative and attempt to learn something than the Duggars have ever done, otherwise. And at least it exposed them to some people and activities outside the family. Even that small exposure has a shot at, someday, bearing some kind of fruit, I think -- like maybe making them more open to letting their kids have some more educational and outside-the-home experiences? 

It still amazes me that you can produce 19 kids so stunted that that's the sum total of expansive experiences any of them has ever involved themselves in. (I don't count Alert or Journey to the Heart indoctrination camps.) JB and M are amazing controllers. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

"Theological and pastoral," he says. I think that means he's going for the masters in divinity. I'm pretty sure the theology masters by itself doesn't put you on the ordained-pastor track. To me, this seems to mean he's going for the full divinity degree. (and that would make MacArthur's letter make more sense -- what we can see of it, anyway). .... Maybe Jer just doesn't like the word "divinity" or figures it requires too much explanation to be worth using. That's a big commitment, in both money and time. They'd better not have umpty-ump kids any time soon. (not that I expect them to -- I don't think Jeremy ever drank that particular Kool-aid. And I can't see Jingle wanting to go through the birth process on a yearly basis either.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

Masters in Divinity is a pretty common degree for any pastor. It's a requirement for many, and it's apparently the most common advanced degree that clergy have (I googled it). 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm not sure it's fair to take one's social media as an accurate account of how one spends his/her time day to day.  Speaking for myself, if I posted my normal daily grind on my facebook/instagram, all my friends would probably unfriend me, post-haste, as they'd all be dying from boredom!  I've always thought that most people post fun/exciting/cute/funny - basically, out of the ordinary - things on their social media accounts, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption on my part?

In any case, I really have no idea what a normal day looks like for Jeremy and Jinger, and I would seriously hesitate to take what we see on tv and/or their social media accounts as being very representative of their daily lives.  Could be, don't get me wrong, but very well could be completely different than everyday life for them, as well.

Having said that, even if they do have lives of leisure, does that preclude them from being able to enjoy nice things?  If they paid for it themselves, then perhaps they are working more than most think.  If they were in fact gifted the vacation, then how very thoughtful of their friend(s)!  And if TLC paid for the trip, then they were basically working.  Not saying that it wouldn't still be enjoyable to be on vacation in a beautiful location, but it would be signficantly less "relaxing" to do so with cameras shoved in your face shooting the same scenes over and over, etc.

I also don't really understand what is wrong with allocating some of your resources to nice things for yourself.  Personally, I tithe and give to other causes that are important to me in a way that aligns with my values and because I'm comfortable/at peace with that aspect of my life, I'm also comfortable with allocating some of my income for things that I guess a lot of people would judge as extravagant and somehow "wrong."  In any case, these posts are all interesting to me precisely because of the differences in opinion, and I enjoy hearing others' perspectives on things, thinking about things in a way I perhaps haven't before, and mulling it all over in my mind.  :-)

With normal friends/family, I totally agree with you.  I assume most people post fun things and skip the work.  I'm working from home right now and I am not planning on posting me at my desk in a messy pile of papers! 

But these are Duggars and Jeremy.  The Duggars enjoy posting all their good works.  Jeremy enjoys projecting his image.  You just know that if Jeremy was handing out loaves of bread to starving children, he would post that on social media!!! 

I really think Jeremy does very little during the day except work on his sermons.  He feels that is his full time job. 

• Love 11
(edited)
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

We don't actually know for sure which program Jer's signed up for, do we?

I assume it's the theology program, because Jer kinda sorta implies that in his email, but then there's the "something something something Divinity program" in MacArthur's letter.  And I would tend to think that that official letter would state the name of the thing accurately....(Curse the crooked paper)

It seems as if it can't be the Divinity program, because that would be about $48,500 long distance and almost $27,500 in LA (plus a lot more time -- more than three times as many academic units, right?), which would seem prohibitive, price and timewise at this point. 

On the other hand, though, it's the master's in divinity that's generally the route to being an ordained pastor, isn't it? .... 

Yes, people who want to be ordained generally get their master's in divinity (MDiv), not a master's in theology/theological studies. It look like their Master of Theology is for pastors who have already received their MDiv degree (I had to check it out).

The only accept men into their programs, but they do have a "Seminar Wives Discipleship." How nice for the little ladies! Reminds me of when I went off to divinity school (Masters in Theological Studies at what was widely regarded as the most socially progress divinity school in the US at the time) and I was asked - in all seriousness - if I was there to find a nice pastor for a husband. 

ETA: @questionfear, you're right, most pastors have their MDiv. Most divinity schools are associated with a particular denomination and therefore those people who get their MDiv are then ready to be ordained because they take classes with content specifically geared towards their denomination. There are a handful of divinity schools that are not associated with a denomination (mine wasn't) but that's not the case Jeremy, although I actually couldn't figure out what specific denomination Masters Seminary is from their website (some evangelical branch of Protestantism, I assume). 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yes, people who want to be ordained generally get their master's in divinity (MDiv), not a master's in theology/theological studies. It look like their Master of Theology is for pastors who have already received their MDiv degree (I had to check it out).

The only accept men into their programs, but they do have a "Seminar Wives Discipleship." How nice for the little ladies! Reminds me of when I went off to divinity school (Masters in Theological Studies at what was widely regarded as the most socially progress divinity school in the US at the time) and I was asked - in all seriousness - if I was there to find a nice pastor for a husband. 

ETA: @questionfear, you're right, most pastors have their MDiv. Most divinity schools are associated with a particular denomination and therefore those people who get their MDiv are then ready to be ordained because they take classes with content specifically geared towards their denomination. There are a handful of divinity schools that are not associated with a denomination (mine wasn't) but that's not the case Jeremy, although I actually couldn't figure out what specific denomination Masters Seminary is from their website (some evangelical branch of Protestantism, I assume). 

[bolding added]

Slight nitpick: you seem to imply that ordination always comes after seminary, but the practice must vary from one denomination/situation to the next. My husband was ordained before he began attending seminary.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, lascuba said:

And I don't know the culture of L.A. apart from pop culture, but--while I do agree that generally Jeremy could do well there--how likely is if for a conservative christian pastor to find success there? He'd have to be a hell of a lot more charismatic than Jeremy.

Rick Warren is based out of Orange County and he has a massive following, so it's not entirely impossible, but Jeremy would probably have to be more of a Joel Osteen-style "life coach" kind of preacher rather than a fundie fire and brimstone type. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Rick Warren is based out of Orange County and he has a massive following, so it's not entirely impossible, but Jeremy would probably have to be more of a Joel Osteen-style "life coach" kind of preacher rather than the Fire and Brimstone type.

I was wondering if Jeremy is angling for a mega-church down the line if he would be better off in Dallas or LA? Dallas would seem to have more potential but the market seems pretty saturated while LA seems like it would be a harder nut to crack but maybe he could work the "celebrity" angle somehow.

Every time I read he's studying "divinity," my Harry Potter infused mind goes to "divination."

Every time I read he's studying "divinity" my mind goes to the yummy, yummy treat made with sugar and egg white and topped with a pecan half and in my theological world, cherry divinity is an abomination. Now I want Divinity. But not cherry.

My brother-in-law has a Ph.D in Theology from a real, accredited school but as a career he worked 1st as a prison guard (Chuck Colson was one of the prisoners he guarded) and after he retired from that job he went to work as a hospital administrator.

• Love 10
On 5/13/2018 at 6:48 PM, Churchhoney said:

At one of the lower-cost restaurants on the island, you can get a yogurt with granola and berries for nine bucks. 

I kid you not. 

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/beaches-and-cream/express-breakfast-lunch-menu/

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/

And since it's on an island, I assume that one's usually eating ON the island.

I looked at one menu and there was a gorgonzola pizza that sounded really good.  I was a bit gobsmacked at $25 spaghetti.  The prices are high but look like regular hotel food prices (but I am in CA so maybe that is it), that said, too high for me (I will only pay that if my work is giving me per diem).  I laughed at the bitsy sized cone for $4.50.  Imma gonna need more than bitsy.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yes, I actually couldn't figure out what specific denomination Masters Seminary is from their website (some evangelical branch of Protestantism, I assume). 

Well, the boss of that seminary, John MacArthur, is among the sorta Southern Baptists who also sorta kinda consider themselves Calvinists. But actually his church is non-denominational, and they don't call themselves "Reformed Baptists" the way a lot of the Baptist/Calvinist-hybrid folks do. So I think the seminary's probably that way too -- nondenominational, but with a Baptist and a minor Calvinist tinge. .... 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

It's not really that much. It's $7800 if they go to LA and just under $14,000 long-distance. That comparable to what Derick is paying for his 1 year apprentice program, and it would provide him with some actual credentials.

It also may be a wash financially considering how much more they would have to pay to live in LA vs Laredo.  Please keep the Vuolo's in TX.  

4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

It also may be a wash financially considering how much more they would have to pay to live in LA vs Laredo.  Please keep the Vuolo's in TX.  

Of course, if it's actually divinity it's a lot bigger wash --  about $48,500 long distance and almost $27,500 in LA.   And maybe three years to finish?  It's a big commitment so whatever the decision it's obviously a major one, I'd say. 

And I'm pretty convinced now that it's divinity, given that the letter says "divinity" and Jer mentions the "pastoral" aspect. 

• Love 2

The Vuolo's can rent out their 4 bedroom house in Laredo and use the money to rent a tiny apartment in LA. I kinda see Jeremy doing something selfish like that.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Heathen said:
18 hours ago, Nysha said:

Depending on how much of the TLC money is in their name (or Jinger's), they may qualify for student grants and loans to help pay for it. 

If they file a joint tax return, whatever is in one's name will count toward the other's FAFSA or other financial aid application. 

I was referencing the rumor that all the money goes into the Duggar Family LLC & Jim Bob doles it out. While I think Jeremy would have been smart enough to negotiate a separate paycheck, Jinger may not have any money from filming before her marriage.

ETA: Why would it be selfish for them to rent out their home in Laredo to help pay rent if they move to LA. That sounds fiscally responsible to me, especially if their goal is to come back to Laredo.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The rent from the Laredo house wouldn't cover a 2 bedroom apartment pretty much anywhere Jeremy would need to live to commute to school. SoCal ain't cheap.

It is prob close to what we pay in SB and 2 bedrooms are about 2K+ a month now.  I have a friend who is moving from a $2900/mo 2 bedroom.  This one was built in the last 5 years or so so it has new appliances (which is a rarity here).

(edited)
48 minutes ago, Nysha said:

ETA: Why would it be selfish for them to rent out their home in Laredo to help pay rent if they move to LA. That sounds fiscally responsible to me, especially if their goal is to come back to Laredo.

I figure Jinger would be more comfortable in her newly renovated house with a newborn baby than in an apartment. Although, TLC might shell out more money for a house, since filming fundies in LA would be way more interesting to watch and better for ratings than anything the rest of the family has going on. Jinger in the big city is what everyone has been wanting to see.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

With normal friends/family, I totally agree with you.  I assume most people post fun things and skip the work.  I'm working from home right now and I am not planning on posting me at my desk in a messy pile of papers! 

But these are Duggars and Jeremy.  The Duggars enjoy posting all their good works.  Jeremy enjoys projecting his image.  You just know that if Jeremy was handing out loaves of bread to starving children, he would post that on social media!!! 

I really think Jeremy does very little during the day except work on his sermons.  He feels that is his full time job. 

I agree. Plus, while people who live a life of leisure shouldn't be prohibited from having nice experiences, I just find it especially annoying that they need a "break." I have a friend who does this...independently wealthy, works a really simple, part-time job for fun (which impresses me...more power to her!), and goes on a big vacation probably once a month. She'll start complaining two weeks after has last vacation that she "needs a break" and "needs to get away," when her whole life's a vacation! She just literally can't relate to us people who have to work for a living. She doesn't understand when someone can't get a week off to go with her, or can't meet her for lunch during a weekday. She's worked a "fun" part time job her whole adult life, quits the second it gets boring, and is unmarried with no children. This is how I see Jeremy and Jinger being, too, though their vacations aren't usually as lavish or frequent. They do very little, which seems exhausting to them because they're not used to anything else. If they'd left out the part about relaxing, and maybe focused on the culture they were experiencing instead, I would have had zero problem with it. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, Portia said:

[bolding added]

Slight nitpick: you seem to imply that ordination always comes after seminary, but the practice must vary from one denomination/situation to the next. My husband was ordained before he began attending seminary.

Most of the major denominations require seminary or similar study before ordination, but you’re right, not all do. 

• Love 1

I think Jinger in LA would be something interesting to watch as opposed to the rest of the Duggars, so maybe TLC might pony up money for a rental house, but I'm doubting it.  Plus what happens if a year into the program, TLC cancels the show and they're stuck in LA?  

Although thinking about it, if they stay and do the online/distance course it runs around $48,000.  Going to LA and doing it there runs around $28,000.  While that is a difference of $20,000 - That's only 10 months of an apt rental, at $2,000 a month.  3 years of apt rent would be around $72,000.  Even if they could rent out their home in Laredo, IIRC they still have a mortgage, so the money from renting it would probably cover their mortgage payment,insurance and property taxes on the house, still leaving them to foot a rental in LA.  And would Jeremy be able to part with his new bookcases?

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

" I have a friend who does this...independently wealthy, works a really simple, part-time job for fun (which impresses me...more power to her!), and goes on a big vacation probably once a month. She'll start complaining two weeks after has last vacation that she "needs a break" and "needs to get away," when her whole life's a vacation! 

I know someone similar. Like your friend, this girl is super sweet but completely out of touch with reality. She got married last year in a 400 guest ceremony/reception held at the Ritz, and I remember her proudly telling me she bargain shopped for her wedding dress and "only" spent $6,000. The funny thing is, she genuinely believed she'd just accomplished the equivalent of buying her dress at Ross. 

I think the Duggars are like that on a lesser scale. Since none of them have ever had to really work for a living, they think they're doing big things if they roll out of bed before noon. 

• Love 16
31 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Most of the major denominations require seminary or similar study before ordination, but you’re right, not all do. 

Southern Baptist is pretty major in the U. S.  ;-)  Southern Baptist congregations are autonomous, and the small congregation my spouse was serving at the time skipped licensure and upped and ordained him. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I think Jinger in LA would be something interesting to watch as opposed to the rest of the Duggars, so maybe TLC might pony up money for a rental house, but I'm doubting it.  Plus what happens if a year into the program, TLC cancels the show and they're stuck in LA?  

I think it would be great to watch Jinger acclimate to LA. I bet she would be more graceful and tactful than Anna.

• Love 15
59 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I know someone similar. Like your friend, this girl is super sweet but completely out of touch with reality. She got married last year in a 400 guest ceremony/reception held at the Ritz, and I remember her proudly telling me she bargain shopped for her wedding dress and "only" spent $6,000. The funny thing is, she genuinely believed she'd just accomplished the equivalent of buying her dress at Ross. 

I think the Duggars are like that on a lesser scale. Since none of them have ever had to really work for a living, they think they're doing big things if they roll out of bed before noon. 

Absolutely.

I'm TOTALLY speculating here but Jeremy's father is a minister also. Jeremy might not have seen a father actually work his butt off  and put in an 80 hour work week.  No one is really sure how Jim Bob fills his days either. 

To some of us, drinking coffee on a Saturday morning and reading the paper IS a break, not something that we need to take a break from!  Jeremy is out of touch with reality. 

• Love 24
17 minutes ago, Marigold said:

To some of us, drinking coffee on a Saturday morning and reading the paper IS a break, not something that we need to take a break from!  Jeremy is out of touch with reality. 

Yes!  One of the best things I've done for myself in the past year is to try and start my day with a cup of coffee or two, out on our patio with a couple of our furbabies.  I can focus on what needs to be done for the day and then just hit it and get it until I collapse into bed many nights.  Between petsitting jobs, trying to work from home and get a new career started, cleaning up our property and setting up a homestead, as well as working on the house and trying to get back into a fitness routine, taking the time to even go out to a coffee shop and read a magazine or paper is a crazy splurge for me.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Absolutely.

I'm TOTALLY speculating here but Jeremy's father is a minister also. Jeremy might not have seen a father actually work his butt off  and put in an 80 hour work week.  No one is really sure how Jim Bob fills his days either. 

I completely agree! Plus, remember how many times Jill talked about how STRANGE it was to get up early when Derick worked at Walmart? She said that alllll the time. Now, it could just be that she had nothing else in that empty head to say, but she said it so much that I got the feeling it had majorly rocked her world. She had never even conceived of getting up before nine or ten at the earliest on a daily basis, but she did it because she had to drive Derick or he would fall into satan's grasp. I bet she hated that he had to go every day, without fail. 

I'm just worried about most of these people. If they were scripted TV actors, it would be one thing, because they could get another job after this one ends. I feel like one day, they'll realize having babies in quick succession for the show means they have to support them forever, with a nonexistent work ethic and/or experience. It's not going to be easy for any of them!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I think it would be great to watch Jinger acclimate to LA. I bet she would be more graceful and tactful than Anna.

Even Anna did seem to be changing her ways in the DC days, though, didn't she? I don't watch, but I think I remember people saying that? That she did seem to go outside her box just a bit? 

10 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm just worried about most of these people. If they were scripted TV actors, it would be one thing, because they could get another job after this one ends. I feel like one day, they'll realize having babies in quick succession for the show means they have to support them forever, with a nonexistent work ethic and/or experience. It's not going to be easy for any of them!

That's one reason I've wanted them off the air for years. (not the only reason, obviously...but...) This WILL happen to them eventually, and, in my opinion, the sooner they have to do it the easier it'll be to get used to it. Unfortunately, at least most of them don't seem to be smart enough to really prepare. They seem to live in a fantasy that has it going on and on. And that's certainly a fantasy that their stupid, crappy, fame-whore, uncaring parents have pushed. But nothing like this lasts forever. And the longer you put off entry into real-world situations, the harder it is to adjust. Plus, in their case, the more kids they're going to have, the longer time without real jobs -- so their resumes will look even crummier than they need to (and I don't see that JB can employ and support them all forever, as they keep proliferating.)   The whole thing's a tragedy for this next generation coming up, especially, in my opinion, unless somebody sees the light very soon. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Yes!  One of the best things I've done for myself in the past year is to try and start my day with a cup of coffee or two, out on our patio with a couple of our furbabies.  I can focus on what needs to be done for the day and then just hit it and get it until I collapse into bed many nights.  Between petsitting jobs, trying to work from home and get a new career started, cleaning up our property and setting up a homestead, as well as working on the house and trying to get back into a fitness routine, taking the time to even go out to a coffee shop and read a magazine or paper is a crazy splurge for me.

Eerie! I could have written the exact same thing with the lone exception being I don’t have a homestead. Just got home from pet sitting and off to bed to collapse!

• Love 4

If I remember correctly, Anna did great when they moved to DC. She got out of the house and actually tried to have new experiences.

I think Babe has moved Jinger to get interested in new things like reading a book! How many times did she get to do that at the TTH when she had non-stop chores to do.

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

If I remember correctly, Anna did great when they moved to DC. She got out of the house and actually tried to have new experiences.

I think Babe has moved Jinger to get interested in new things like reading a book! How many times did she get to do that at the TTH when she had non-stop chores to do.

I don't think that the only reason no one in the TTH reads a book is because they are too busy -- we see tons of photos of them lolling around doing nothing. It's part of their "lifestyle" that they don't read anything except the Bible -- and JB does the Bible reading. They talk about the kids liking various uber-wholesome, uber-Christian book series, but we literally never see anyone with a book -- ever. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I completely agree! Plus, remember how many times Jill talked about how STRANGE it was to get up early when Derick worked at Walmart? She said that alllll the time. Now, it could just be that she had nothing else in that empty head to say, but she said it so much that I got the feeling it had majorly rocked her world. She had never even conceived of getting up before nine or ten at the earliest on a daily basis, but she did it because she had to drive Derick or he would fall into satan's grasp. I bet she hated that he had to go every day, without fail. 

A Duggar has never seen 9:00AM.  I'd be surprised if many of them knew a time before 11:15AM.

• Love 18

I don't recall Jeremy saying that he's going to physically be in a classroom in LA. I don't think they're moving anywhere; I think it's distance learning for him. If he was courting this pastor/principal of this religious school all this time and wanted to be out there why would he have purchased a 4 bedroom house less than a year ago only to sell it now? Doesn't make any sense to me. Bet they're staying in Laredo. Also, Jinger is going to deliver soon. Not a good time to pick up and move.

• Love 10
(edited)
8 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think that the only reason no one in the TTH reads a book is because they are too busy -- we see tons of photos of them lolling around doing nothing. It's part of their "lifestyle" that they don't read anything except the Bible -- and JB does the Bible reading. They talk about the kids liking various uber-wholesome, uber-Christian book series, but we literally never see anyone with a book -- ever. 

From both Gothard and from their parents, I'm pretty sure the kids have strongly gotten the message that reading material is to be shunned. It's devilish and dirty and does nothing but lead you astray. ....

This is the common ploy of cult leaders and also of many insane control freaks as well. They know that reading opens eyes and minds and that's the last thing they want, so they portray it as poison. ...And, of course, that plays into humans' natural laziness. So the ploy tends to succeed. ...........

In the case of the Duggs, I expect it was helped along by their crummy education that made reading hard for some and super super super boring for all. So they leave it alone of their own accord.

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Are there any scholarships available for the program Jeremy will be involved with?

They don't mention any on their website. And since it's a pretty new organization -- founded in 1986 -- it's not clear where they'd get much. A lot of financial aid tends to come from endowments of various sorts, and you need time for investments to build up, grateful and well-off alumni to stock the funds, and so on. They haven't had time to get that. 

It would surprise me if Jer isn't getting a break on tuition because he's going to bring them -- is already bringing them -- some fame that I'm sure they want, though. He's obviously been trying for a while to cultivate MacArthur and company, and I'd be shocked if it hasn't paid off for him to at least some extent. ..... I'm sure they view his bringing the Duggar-related attention to them a major pr coup -- and you'd want to reward somebody for that, I think. 

May I add that it bugs the heck out of me that on their website they say over and over and over and over that they're in the business of '"training MEN" for God because the world desperately needs them. Men men men men men. .. (although not GAY men, of course. lol   MacArthur notoriously has a LOT to say about gay men, and none of it good.   ;  )    )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
(edited)
10 hours ago, Christina87 said:

"I completely agree! Plus, remember how many times Jill talked about how STRANGE it was to get up early when Derick worked at Walmart? She said that alllll the time. Now, it could just be that she had nothing else in that empty head to say, but she said it so much that I got the feeling it had majorly rocked her world. She had never even conceived of getting up before nine or ten at the earliest on a daily basis, but she did it because she had to drive Derick or he would fall into satan's grasp. I bet she hated that he had to go every day, without fail. 

I think that all the children were deliberately trained from infancy to stay up late at night and sleep late in the morning because that was what suited Jim Bob and Michelle's needs. Even before the TLC era, Jim Bob never worked a 9 to 5 job and I get the feeling that he and Michelle were never "morning people" and never really got rolling before noon. The kids were probably told to either sleep late or tiptoe around the house until their parents made their appearance (and God help the J'Slave who couldn't keep the younger kids quiet while Mama and Daddy were "resting").

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

From both Gothard and from their parents, I'm pretty sure the kids have strongly gotten the message that reading material is to be shunned. It's devilish and dirty and does nothing but lead you astray. ....

This is the common ploy of cult leaders and also of many insane control freaks as well. They know that reading opens eyes and minds and that's the last thing they want, so they portray it as poison. ...And, of course, that plays into humans' natural laziness. So the ploy tends to succeed. ...........

In the case of the Duggs, I expect it was helped along by their crummy education that made reading hard for some and super super super boring for all. So they leave it alone of their own accord.

Also they use the KJV bible.  With the Duggar's education, it's not like any of the kids actually understand the language.  All the kids can do is recite memorized bible verses that they have absolutely no clue what the verse actually means.  Of course, this is starting to remind me of one of the reasons for the Protestant Reformation in England (other than Henry VII wanting to trade his wife in for a younger model).  I really don't see how this is any different than a bible and church service being in Latin when the people spoke English. 

Language evolves and new translations are necessary for people to understand.  I cannot imagine the men who created the KJV ever expecting people to be still reading it almost 500 years later. 

• Love 13

A co-worker of mine is getting her Ph.D via a long distance program. She is required to show up at the actual campus (in another state) one week per semester. 

I can see Jeremy doing this. And, unlike Derrick, he doesn’t need to bring his wife and child with him for that one week! 

• Love 3