Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

One of the Sanctuary amenities is borrowing a hotel Mercedes Benz.

That's just gross ostentation.  

8 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Also, unless they are going to thank the specific friend, I'm not sure why the fact that the trip was grifted needed to be in there at all!

My husband's in the ministry, and if someone from our church gave us a vacation at a ritzy resort, we'd be making VERY sure nobody got the idea that that's how we spend our own hard-earned money. We love hotels and restaurants, but at a certain point I start to feel like the luxury is only there to impress people, and we're not that kind of people. Funnily enough, someone recently gave my husband a gift certificate for a super-fancy restaurant, and because I'm a terrible person, I kind of wish the generous friend had just gone with Outback Steakhouse, where I don't have to dress up or worry that people are judging me.  

Edited by Portia
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why do all of these 'special friends' always seem to need to be anonymous ones? What's wrong with thanking .."mr. & mrs. xxx" for their generosity?

That's what makes me suspect it's TLC. 

• Love 5

If its TLC we'll find out soon enough because it would have been filmed. I doubt it was because that's a lot of money for about 5 minutes of boring footage though. Maybe Jeremy's buddies pitched in and gave them a weekend away instead of baby shower gifts. They all live far away and most likely weren't invited to the shower given by the church and probably wouldn't travel that far for one anyway.

While there's certainly a difference between seedy hotels, cheap hotels, nice hotels and grand hotels, there's a point where one is just paying for the image and bragging rights. Beds and sheets can only be so good and the view is only as good as what's out the window. 

I'd rather not spend my cash or receive a gift that is actually paying for a grand staircase, a possible ride around town in a Mercedes and option to brag about it. 

After each of my kids were born, my parents paid for a weekend away for me and my husband about 3 months after their births. We live in New England so we had nice choices that weren't far, however a nice box with indoor plumbing would have been fine because the point was to get a quick break from the kid(s) and spend time with each other. And for me that's when I needed the break, not before.

With that said, to each his own and that kind of grandeur is appealing to some.

• Love 10
On 5/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, BitterApple said:

This is probably messed up to say, but if Jeremy is asserting his "authority" and limiting their family size, it may not be such a bad thing. These girls have never been encouraged to think beyond "as many as God gives us." It probably doesn't occur to them that it might be preferable to have two or three kids you can actually bond with and enjoy parenting as opposed to creating such a large army that motherhood amounts to little more than cursory attention and crowd control. 

Preach! Not to mention that Jinger is not at all excited about the L&D part of having babies. 

• Love 1

It might have been the Church parishioners chipping in for the vacation.  It’s pretty common to tithe extra specifically for to the Pastor during big life events.  If 50 people gave them $20, that’s a grand to spend on a babymoon.

27 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

The hotel alone was $1800. Plus tax. Plus travel. Plus meals (unless they were included?) That is a lot of money for 2 nights, IMHO. 

So I'm guessing at least $3300 - 2 roundtrip airfare plus food - and you can't tell me food at a place like that is cheap, plus some type of fun or shopping.  Yikes!  My hubby and I caught deals and did an air b and b on Maui for 9 days for much less then that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

So I'm guessing at least $3300 - 2 roundtrip airfare plus food - and you can't tell me food at a place like that is cheap, plus some type of fun or shopping.  Yikes!  My hubby and I caught deals and did an air b and b on Maui for 9 days for much less then that.

At one of the lower-cost restaurants on the island, you can get a yogurt with granola and berries for nine bucks. 

I kid you not. 

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/beaches-and-cream/express-breakfast-lunch-menu/

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/

And since it's on an island, I assume that one's usually eating ON the island.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

At one of the lower-cost restaurants on the island, you can get a yogurt with granola and berries for nine bucks. 

I kid you not. 

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/beaches-and-cream/express-breakfast-lunch-menu/

https://kiawahresort.com/dining/

And since it's on an island, I assume that one's usually eating ON the island.

It's pretty pricey, I've been there.  However, there is a bridge connecting it to the mainland, so its not terribly tough to leave the area to shop or eat.  It's about half an hour out of Charleston, SC. 

• Love 1

The caption bugged me, I admit.  SO many people work SO hard.  Jeremy does not come to mind when I think of people who need to relax and get away. That's all we see is coffee, books and Jeremy's image.  I understand that they have a life outside of social media but considering how much they do post, it's weird we don't see anything other than them lounging around.  Isn't a pastor supposed to do more than craft these AMAZING sermons????   He is completely out of touch with reality and has no clue.  Not a good mix for a pastor, in my opinion. 

I bet Jinger paid for the vacation out of TLC earnings and they didn't want to admit they have that much money lying around for extras or the gifts will dry up. 

I'm just not impressed with this couple, as you all know!  Jeremy just grates on my nerves...he is like that snobby and fake jock from high school. 

• Love 22
41 minutes ago, Marigold said:

The caption bugged me, I admit.  SO many people work SO hard.  Jeremy does not come to mind when I think of people who need to relax and get away. That's all we see is coffee, books and Jeremy's image.  I understand that they have a life outside of social media but considering how much they do post, it's weird we don't see anything other than them lounging around.  Isn't a pastor supposed to do more than craft these AMAZING sermons????   He is completely out of touch with reality and has no clue.  Not a good mix for a pastor, in my opinion. 

I bet Jinger paid for the vacation out of TLC earnings and they didn't want to admit they have that much money lying around for extras or the gifts will dry up. 

I'm just not impressed with this couple, as you all know!  Jeremy just grates on my nerves...he is like that snobby and fake jock from high school. 

Plus, we've heard some of the sermons..   ;  )    Not all that amazing, in my opinion. In content or delivery. 

Although, to be fair, perhaps he's improving by leaps and bounds and I just haven't heard his latest highly-improved sermons, which he'll release in book and dvd form sometime in the next year and blow us all away. Or something. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Marigold said:

You said everything I wanted to 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Plus, we've heard some of the sermons..   ;  )    Not all that amazing, in my opinion. In content or delivery. 

Although, to be fair, perhaps he's improving by leaps and bounds and I just haven't heard his latest highly-improved sermons, which he'll release in book and dvd form sometime in the next year and blow us all away. Or something. 

I read somewhere that Jeremy posted that he preached the entire year on the book of Philippians!!!  (maybe Pickles page?)

If anyone needs to get away, it's his church members. 

RUN!

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

Right there with ya.  

• Love 3

Masters Seminary is located in Southern California. I'm assuming he's taking online courses, although I do remember Jeremy saying that his dream was to live in LA.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Masters Seminary is located in Southern California. I'm assuming he's taking online courses, although I do remember Jeremy saying that his dream was to live in LA.

Ha! I would love to see a Duggar live in LA. Oh the horrors!!!

They now have 3 or 4 distance learning campuses.  The closest one to them is in Dallas, TX.  Goggle maps says it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive and around 430 miles.  According the their site, he could do the main work online and then go like once a semester for a week to Dallas.    Of course it costs more that way.  The Master's of Divinity is 98 units and the Master of Theology is 28 units.  Both run $280 per unit in the LA school, but doing them distance runs $495 a unit - YIKES!!!

But I'm thrilled to see a Duggar relation actually going to a real accredited university and get an advanced degree.  Masters Seminary actually requires a Bachelor degree before starting these programs - although they do offer a Bach of Theology if he doesn't have one.  

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

They now have 3 or 4 distance learning campuses.  The closest one to them is in Dallas, TX.  Goggle maps says it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive and around 430 miles.  According the their site, he could do the main work online and then go like once a semester for a week to Dallas.    Of course it costs more that way.  The Master's of Divinity is 98 units and the Master of Theology is 28 units.  Both run $280 per unit in the LA school, but doing them distance runs $495 a unit - YIKES!!!

But I'm thrilled to see a Duggar relation actually going to a real accredited university and get an advanced degree.  Masters Seminary actually requires a Bachelor degree before starting these programs - although they do offer a Bach of Theology if he doesn't have one.  

At least he realizes that he needs more seminary training to be an effective preacher and he is astute enough to recognize that some programs are better than others. (*cough* Derick *cough*)

• Love 22
11 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

The way he worded his post, it sounds like he's doing the 28 unit program in Theology. Still, that's a lot of Jinger's teevee money to be spending for even one year's tuition.

• Love 5

Oh, I totally missed that! Jinger better be getting paid very well for her forthcoming birth episode(s) to afford the online school OR living in LA. Neither option is cheap.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I have to ask what the heck does yours for the Masters mean?

It actually says "Master," and not "Masters" (hard to see on the crooked paper.) So ... what Sew Sumi said. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's probably a little pun (Masters degree/Christ the Master).

Christ the master, but not a pun. Just dead-serious religious-speak. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Kinda expensive.

Hmmmmmm....something tells me we will be seeing quite a bit of the Vuolos and the new baby GIRL on TLC.   Ka-Ching! Money grab!  

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Kinda expensive.

Hmmmmmm....something tells me we will be seeing quite a bit of the Vuolos and the new baby GIRL on TLC.   Ka-Ching! Money grab!  

It's not really that much. It's $7800 if they go to LA and just under $14,000 long-distance. That comparable to what Derick is paying for his 1 year apprentice program, and it would provide him with some actual credentials.

• Love 13
Just now, cmr2014 said:

It's not really that much. It's $7800 if they go to LA and just under $14,000 long-distance. That comparable to what Derick is paying for his 1 year apprentice program, and it would provide him with some actual credentials.

Jeremy can't make much as a preacher in a tiny church even if the parent church is supporting the church plant. TLC gives them a nice cash boost!  I'm glad he is spending it on education but you just know  that Baby Girl Vuolo will bring in the TLC bucks! 

Jeremy is angling to be a famous preacher.  We all knew that when he latched onto Jinger.  I do think they love each other but that Duggar  name was a sweet bonus for someone who has already admitted to loving fame. 

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Great point!  And it looks like the school spreads courses out over 2-4 years depending on which program you pick.  I am glad to see that the curriculum will have Jeremy taking a preaching mechanics and preaching lab so hopefully his sermons will improve.  Also a grammar and writing course along with greek and hebrew.  

And there is a wife's group at the main campus, because you know, they only train men at the university.  Grrrrr.

• Love 7
(edited)

We don't actually know for sure which program Jer's signed up for, do we?

I assume it's the theology program, because Jer kinda sorta implies that in his email, but then there's the "something something something Divinity program" in MacArthur's letter.  And I would tend to think that that official letter would state the name of the thing accurately....(Curse the crooked paper)

It seems as if it can't be the Divinity program, because that would be about $48,500 long distance and almost $27,500 in LA (plus a lot more time -- more than three times as many academic units, right?), which would seem prohibitive, price and timewise at this point. 

On the other hand, though, it's the master's in divinity that's generally the route to being an ordained pastor, isn't it? .... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jeremy can't make much as a preacher in a tiny church even if the parent church is supporting the church plant. TLC gives them a nice cash boost!  I'm glad he is spending it on education but you just know  that Baby Girl Vuolo will bring in the TLC bucks! 

Jeremy is angling to be a famous preacher.  We all knew that when he latched onto Jinger.  I do think they love each other but that Duggar  name was a sweet bonus for someone who has already admitted to loving fame. 

I don't get that vibe from Jeremy at all. It's an opinion, not something "we all knew." 

58 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Depending on how much of the TLC money is in their name (or Jinger's), they may qualify for student grants and loans to help pay for it. 

If they file a joint tax return, whatever is in one's name will count toward the other's FAFSA or other financial aid application. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I think what annoys me is why do they have to announce on social media about this? If they would have just gone and had fun, well good for them. It also annoys me when people announce on social media every move they make. Every restaurant they go to. Does anybody care if I go to the local tavern for a burger?

On that note, get off my lawn! 

Sorry, rough Monday at the office. Carry on. But my original annoyment stands. 

Agreed. Maybe I watch too much true crime (or have a criminal mind), but in addition to coming off as attention-whorish and/or insecure, it just seems like a great way to advertise to robbers that you're not home. . . . 

• Love 12