Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Me too! Alan Rickman just oozed gorgeous..... at least for me, then again, I always loved older British men. Don't get me started on Oliver Reed. Granted, I had a thing for him since I was like 12 so that did make him older at the time. 

You gals know how to pick them!  I LOVE Alan Rickman, Oliver Reed and Jason Isaacs!!  So glad you threw Ollie in there!!  He had such charisma.

Jeremy doesn't do it for me either.  If I had to choose, it would have to be Bin. Definitely more my type.  Jeremy is too smarmy. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Normades said:

You gals know how to pick them!  I LOVE Alan Rickman, Oliver Reed and Jason Isaacs!!  So glad you threw Ollie in there!!  He had such charisma.

Jeremy doesn't do it for me either.  If I had to choose, it would have to be Bin. Definitely more my type.  Jeremy is too smarmy. 

Jeremy dresses nice, is well groomed but he doesn't have "it". Ben kind of does, especially the older the gets. 

I also loved Alan Bates. You can imagine how many times I watched them in "Women in Love'. While girls my age were gaga for Scott Baio, I had Alan and Oliver. 

• Love 3
On 5/18/2018 at 5:40 PM, Nysha said:

My bet is he will either go to Los Angeles or Dallas.

In LA, he'll just be absorbed.  I have one offspring who doesn't live far from MacArthur's church.  I might be tempted.

• Love 2

It must be (speaking as a 23 year old with social media accounts where its basically expected we have these perfect social media feeds that are on brand 24/7) so exhausting to feel you have to keep up appearances for social media like this. I'm sure jinger or someone had to take 10 million photos just to get that right one and then there are the filters and coming up with the caption. social media is exhausting. (to be fair, yes i also spend time taking millions of photos to post on social media, but thats only when I've made the thing I'm wearing and I have to get different angles of the garment. but it's never as staged as this. who has the time???) 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, louannems said:

The more I look at it, the more staged his forehead, eye expression, and tongue, and of course, every single lock of hair obviously is.

I'm glad you mentioned the tongue.  My first thought was --- isn't that a bit defrauding?? 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

There is a reason why many women in the fandom call him “Luscious” Malfoy.  

I have to throw a couple into the ring. My male tastes are varied and are mostly based on...oh I don’t know.  

Mmmmmm Jason Mamoa

Alexander Skarsgard 

Oh yes DEFINITELY!

3 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

It must be (speaking as a 23 year old with social media accounts where its basically expected we have these perfect social media feeds that are on brand 24/7) so exhausting to feel you have to keep up appearances for social media like this. I'm sure jinger or someone had to take 10 million photos just to get that right one and then there are the filters and coming up with the caption. social media is exhausting. (to be fair, yes i also spend time taking millions of photos to post on social media, but thats only when I've made the thing I'm wearing and I have to get different angles of the garment. but it's never as staged as this. who has the time???) 

At the risk of going OT, and as a woman who is getting dangerously close to "get off my lawn" territory, why do you think this is?  I really am curious.

I will admit that on Mother's Day, both of my kids were home and I found myself very much wanting to get a great picture with the two of them to - yes - post on social media.  And then I got mad at myself for basically being a hypocrite...but of course, my feed was loaded with moms and kids posed perfectly and lovingly, so the pressure was there to do the same.  I threw my phone to my husband and told him to keep snapping away until he captured something approaching "loving" and "cute."  It's very stressful!  I don't know how you do it, honestly.  Do you go into situations automatically thinking about what photo you can take to capture a moment?  Like Jeremy?  (I kid...just trying to bring it back on topic).

That's why Jeremy's posts kind of drive me up a wall, because they are (supposedly) candid and spontaneous when in fact they are posed, filtered and chosen very carefully.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

At the risk of going OT, and as a woman who is getting dangerously close to "get off my lawn" territory, why do you think this is?  I really am curious.

I will admit that on Mother's Day, both of my kids were home and I found myself very much wanting to get a great picture with the two of them to - yes - post on social media.  And then I got mad at myself for basically being a hypocrite...but of course, my feed was loaded with moms and kids posed perfectly and lovingly, so the pressure was there to do the same.  I threw my phone to my husband and told him to keep snapping away until he captured something approaching "loving" and "cute."  It's very stressful!  I don't know how you do it, honestly.  Do you go into situations automatically thinking about what photo you can take to capture a moment?  Like Jeremy?  (I kid...just trying to bring it back on topic).

That's why Jeremy's posts kind of drive me up a wall, because they are (supposedly) candid and spontaneous when in fact they are posed, filtered and chosen very carefully.

I'm not really surprised Jeremy does this given his career intentions.  I assume he will need to establish himself on social media in order to eventually get a job after completing his degree.  Social media is a great addition to a tradition resume especially when you are trying to elevate yourself above other possible candidates.  I would think this is doubly true when it comes to church's hiring a new pastor.  As for the Instagram pictures, Jinger is the photographer of the family.  Shouldn't she be able to compose the shot pretty easily?

Of course, I am cynical enough to know that what is posted on social media is never the truth.  It is what the person posting wants you to see, which is why I stay away for 95% of celebrity twitter. instagram, etc.  Constructing a narrative on social media can be as difficult or easy as you want it to be.  Of course, the closer the narrative is to the truth, the easier it will be.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm slightly older than 23, but I think in the end it's just the digital version of keeping up with the Joneses. No different than the idea that the lawn has to be perfectly groomed or the car needs to be new and spotless.

Really the digital version probably started with people being famous for just being famous needing validation. And then they got smart and realized they could cash in on the idea that their persona mattered - even though really, does it? But they digitalized the idea that "perfect" was attainable and now instead of just comparing yourself to your neighbor you can aspire to out-Jones the entire world.

I don't think it's called "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" by coincidence. 

In Jeremy's case, I think it's his personality but I also think the prove you're holier-than-thou is also just a fundie thing. He might not be batshit as Derick but he still seeks to prove that he's a perfect follower of God and everyone needs to know. Social media just is another platform for him to go about "doing God's work". 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I'm slightly older than 23, but I think in the end it's just the digital version of keeping up with the Joneses. No different than the idea that the lawn has to be perfectly groomed or the car needs to be new and spotless.

Really the digital version probably started with people being famous for just being famous needing validation. And then they got smart and realized they could cash in on the idea that their persona mattered - even though really, does it? But they digitalized the idea that "perfect" was attainable and now instead of just comparing yourself to your neighbor you can aspire to out-Jones the entire world.

I don't think it's called "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" by coincidence. 

In Jeremy's case, I think it's his personality but I also think the prove you're holier-than-thou is also just a fundie thing. He might not be batshit as Derick but he still seeks to prove that he's a perfect follower of God and everyone needs to know. Social media just is another platform for him to go about "doing God's work". 

I think you've basically nailed this answer. It's like that episode of Black Mirror, Nose Dive (not to be that girl, but actually, watch this one if you haven't), where everything has to be perfect and people and rating people? Everyone wants to see the best and get the most likes and I have just over 100 followers on instagram and stress if my photos only get like 3 likes. (because, honestly, it feels bad. Instagram, especially, is bad about this. Like I don't care if my tweets don't get any retweets,  twitter is a fodder for my every thought.) So I actually can't imagine the type of pressure people like Jeremy think they have. People with LOT of followers watching their every move. I honestly don't believe in famous for famous sake (none of these people should be a relatively common name) but he's gotta post. Have that aesthetic totally on fleek (read: on point) and his 432.2K followers will eat it up. Like everything on his feed is perfectly curated and you don't do that for fun. (it's actually also pretty annoying to be around people who REALLY CARE about their instagram feeds.)

I would like to sit him down and he like "there is more to this world than social media. he'd probably say like "I know!" but...does he really?

• Love 7

Thanks for your answers, I find this topic interesting...and when you think about the three Duggar in-laws, it's even more interesting.  Jeremy uses social media to carefully craft his physical and intellectual image (studly-type dude with lots of books).  Dreck uses it to tweet whatever thought is flitting through his head at the moment, and Ben seems to be the outlier, posting less frequently and perhaps more carefully (not counting Austin here because he just gives me the creeps).  If I didn't know anything else about these guys, and had to choose which one I think I would like best based only on social media, I think it would be Ben - Jeremy comes off as smug, and Dreck is just nuts.

• Love 5

I am far from a leghumper but I really can't hate on Jeremy stepping up his IG game. It is pretty much necessary for any reality tv starts to do to build their brand blah blah blah and that seems to be his goal. And he is at least trying to be competent at it with decent pictures ( vs Jilly muffin's sloppy ass cooking photos and advice on how to endanger your baby).

I have some friends who are just totally normal people who have IG accounts that function like a part time job ( though I doubt they make money aside from some free products here and there). He is not outside of normal in that regard and I honestly think it is a good thing. I see a post like this soccer one from non reality starts all the time. 

Exposing Jinger and Co to normal life will hopefully mean their kids will be more open minded/education/have more opportunities. IDK. He is also one of 3 watchable characters on Counting on- I never got the smarmy vibe everyone else does? He isn't an incoherent idiot like the rest of the Duggar clan which to me doesn't translate to smarmy. haha

OK I am done defending the Duggars for today. LOL!

• Love 15
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Thanks for your answers, I find this topic interesting...and when you think about the three Duggar in-laws, it's even more interesting.  Jeremy uses social media to carefully craft his physical and intellectual image (studly-type dude with lots of books).  Dreck uses it to tweet whatever thought is flitting through his head at the moment, and Ben seems to be the outlier, posting less frequently and perhaps more carefully (not counting Austin here because he just gives me the creeps).  If I didn't know anything else about these guys, and had to choose which one I think I would like best based only on social media, I think it would be Ben - Jeremy comes off as smug, and Dreck is just nuts.

This would be my pick, too. But then I remember the stuff Bin used to post ... And I'm afraid that he's just less offensive than the other two currently because Jessa won't allow him to post anything.   lol

• Love 6
On 5/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, jcbrown said:

If Jeremy were an animal, he'd be a rabbit. It's the big honking front teeth.

The celebrity that I have never found appealing, even before we found out who he is on the inside, is Tom Cruise. His giant nostrils totally turn me off. Ken Olin (thirtysomething) is the same way. And Austin notDuggar (Joy's lovemuffin) , for that matter.

Me neither!  Its not his nostrils for me, its his shoulders or lack thereof.  I refer to them as icky shoulders.  Even Mr Natalie knows what I mean when I say icky shoulders.  

On 5/19/2018 at 7:01 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

"Freakishly gorgeous" !!! Exactly. As I said, "pretty" has never been my thing, but sometimes there comes a level of "pretty" that's impossible to pass off as simply that. Those features are pretty much perfection.

BTW, had to google most of the other names you mentioned...Gerard Way certainly has a look about him.Tim Roth and Philip Glenister...yeah, I'd say we have some similarity in our tastes based on those photos...Not sure what to think about Brian Molko. And, of course, Viggo Mortensen and Johnny Depp are undeniably gorgeous, though with both of those the attraction doesn't extend a whole lot further than my eyes. A little further, but not all the  way to my heart. 

Cillian Murphy I hadn't heard of either, but the images showing up make me think of Michael Sarrazin whom I remember from an adaptation of the Frankenstein story on TV back in the 70's. And Rufus Sewell always makes me think a bit of Ian McShane, and maybe Oliver Reed who had that similar ability to make you (sorta, kinda, almost...) want to root for the guy you knew you were supposed to hate . I do rather have a thing for that whole sleepy-eyed look.

I watched those!  HUGE crush on Sarrazin!

• Love 2

@Natalie68, I'll have to take notice of icky shoulders.  I'm a broad-shouldered woman, and I wouldn't want a guy with more narrow ones.

I never wore the shoulder pads popular in the late 70's-80.  I didn't need them :)

Jeremy is OK looking, but he seems way too stuck on himself.  Jocks in general don't appeal to me.  YMMV.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

@Natalie68, I'll have to take notice of icky shoulders.  I'm a broad-shouldered woman, and I wouldn't want a guy with more narrow ones.

I never wore the shoulder pads popular in the late 70's-80.  I didn't need them :)

Jeremy is OK looking, but he seems way too stuck on himself.  Jocks in general don't appeal to me.  YMMV.

Once you see them you cannot unsee them!  I too like a broad shouldered fella and his are bad.  Just a slope straight down!

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Me neither!  Its not his nostrils for me, its his shoulders or lack thereof.  I refer to them as icky shoulders.  Even Mr Natalie knows what I mean when I say icky shoulders.  

I watched those!  HUGE crush on Sarrazin!

So did I! It was right after I saw Frankenstein too! 

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Never cared much for jocks either. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's not that he's a jock, at least not for me.  It's that he affects the metrosexual vibe as well.  So he's the macho guy with swagger, with the prissy sashay caused by painted on pants.   When I think of Babe I think of Narcissus.  Jingle better watch that he doesn't stare at himself too long.  Oprah once had a guest who complained that instead of her husband looking at her during sex, he watched himself in the mirror above the bed.  I try not to think of these people's sex life, but it wouldn't surprise me if Babe watched himself pose and flex his biceps as he cheered himself on.

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, TVFAN said:

I agree with those who say that among the Duggar girls, Jinger hit the husband jackpot!  

I would include the Bates girls in that too.  Jim Bob can put this son in-law up against one of Gil's, any day.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, laurakaye said:

Ben was practically at Derrick levels when he first got married. He only toned it down because of the backlash. He and Jessa were the first to be upfront about their vile beliefs, and they didn't know how to handle pushback when they expected more of the adoration to which they think the Duggar name entitles them. There is no doubt in my mind that Ben seethes with envy on an hourly basis over Derrick's twitter rants.

• Love 9

I remember Bin criticizing that Central American orphanage run by the nuns. I can't remember his exact wording but it was something along the lines of how horrible it was for the children to be in the clutches of ebil Catholics. His belief system is no different than Derelict's, he just has enough sense to hide it so it doesn't affect his income. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I remember Bin criticizing that Central American orphanage run by the nuns. I can't remember his exact wording but it was something along the lines of how horrible it was for the children to be in the clutches of ebil Catholics. His belief system is no different than Derelict's, he just has enough sense to hide it so it doesn't affect his income. 

Ugh! If he thinks so lowly of the nuns maybe he needs to get his a-- down there and actually do something more meaningful than any of the Duggars have ever done on their mission trips. 

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Ugh! If he thinks so lowly of the nuns maybe he needs to get his a-- down there and actually do something more meaningful than any of the Duggars have ever done on their mission trips. 

Unfortunately for Binny Boy, the Internet is forever:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2703428/Jessa-Duggars-Christian-boyfriend-Ben-Seewald-deletes-anti-Catholic-Facebook-rant.html

All these people are cut from the same cloth. The article doesn't mention it, but I could've sworn the comments were made around the time they visited Danger America.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

He has nothing to offer.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Well, if you'd ask Bin, Der, Jer --- and all the rest of them -- you'd hear that it's about FAITH. ... And that those icky "works" that the nuns do are just additional proof that Catholics WORSHIP THE WRONG JESUS -- Falsy McFalseFace AntiChrist Jesus, I believe his name is. 

Bin, Der AND Jer have all spouted off fervently against Catholicism. And the reason every single one of them married into this family is because the Duggs embrace the same crap -- but have practiced not saying it out loud -- because TEEVEE FAME AND DOLLARS!!! 

Furthermore, are you implying that handing out off-brand Dum Dums and nail polish isn't activity of the highest value? How is it possible to say so? 

• Love 17
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, if you'd ask Bin, Der, Jer --- and all the rest of them -- you'd hear that it's about FAITH. ... And that those icky "works" that the nuns do are just additional proof that Catholics WORSHIP THE WRONG JESUS -- Falsy McFalseFace AntiChrist Jesus, I believe his name is. 

Bin, Der AND Jer have all spouted off fervently against Catholicism. And the reason every single one of them married into this family is because the Duggs embrace the same crap -- but have practiced not saying it out loud -- because TEEVEE FAME AND DOLLARS!!! 

Furthermore, are you implying that handing out off-brand Dum Dums and nail polish isn't activity of the highest value? How is it possible to say so? 

I have always been of the mindset that if you have true faith, you do good things.... They go hand in hand in my book.  

And knock off dum dums are of very high value! Kids don't have good drinking water, the candy makes up for it. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 9
On 5/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, lascuba said:

I thought George Clooney was hot for years, and then a friend pointed out that he has no top lip and I haven't been able to unsee that since. 

*Bearded* Jeremy, I think, is attractive without doing anything for me personally, if that makes sense. And that's completely disregarding who he is as a person and going solely by looks.

In the bottom picture he looks clammy and pale.  

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

For people who are all about FAITH, they sure do have a lot of rules to live by. Why do things like modesty, chastity, etc., matter so much of faith is they only thing that matters?

• Love 4
(edited)
21 minutes ago, lascuba said:

For people who are all about FAITH, they sure do have a lot of rules to live by. Why do things like modesty, chastity, etc., matter so much of faith is they only thing that matters?

I didn't think about that but good point! I remember years ago seeing some guy, obviously wealthy with a big smarmy look on his face, saying he was saved and assured to go to heaven no matter what he did. Some how he forgot the Mark 10:25 "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

He also said Mother Theresa wasn't saved so she was going to hell. Now she wasn't perfect by any means and she would be the first have said that, but at that moment I decided if that was being saved, I would rather not be. 

So yes, Jeremy/Derick/Ben and the rest all feel a certain way. Wrap it up in a pretty package like Jeremy, its still the same. He just knows how to play it and keep his mouth shut while Derick has no self control or restraint and behaves like a child. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 5/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, lascuba said:

From my observation of the Duggars, and my own Fundie upbringing, I feel comfortable saying that many of the rules are things that some Fundie male leaders came up with many years ago and they were touted as principls, thus have stuck.  Not many were willing to question how they made sense.  They say that you have to set yourself apart from the "world."  World means sinful, unGodly people.  You should be different in as many ways as possible. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From my observation of the Duggars, and my own Fundie upbringing, I feel comfortable saying that many of the rules are things that some Fundie male leaders came up with many years ago and they were touted as principals, thus have stuck.  Not many were willing to question how they made sense.  They say that you have to set yourself apart from the "world."  World means sinful, unGodly people.  You should be different in as many ways as possible. 

Yup...I'm not, nor have ever been a Fundie, but from the way I understand it, it's all meant as a self-protective mechanism to keep you as far from as much of the sort of temptation which might distract you from communing with and leaning on God 24/7 as possible.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yup...I'm not, nor have ever been a Fundie, but from the way I understand it, it's all meant as a self-protective mechanism to keep you as far from as much of the sort of temptation which might distract you from communing with and leaning on God 24/7 as possible.

Yeah, that's part of it, but, to me, much of it seemed a control device and for show. It's a tough pill to swallow those rules that are made up by men who can't even pronounce many of the words in the Bible.  But, that's just my take on it. Everyone has their own story, I'm sure. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, that's part of it, but, to me, much of it seemed a control device and for show. It's a tough pill to swallow those rules that are made up by men who can't even pronounce many of the words in the Bible.  But, that's just my take on it. Everyone has their own story, I'm sure. 

I wonder what it feels like for Jinger now that her life is not about touting her differences and restrictions to the world. So much of the Duggars' lives have focused on what rules they followed including how they dressed, homeschooling, dating, the Bible etc. Not only is she not touting them she is not even following many of them.

Is she filled with feelings of freedom or guilt? Or a mix of both?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder what it feels like for Jinger now that her life is not about touting her differences and restrictions to the world. So much of the Duggars' lives have focused on what rules they followed including how they dressed, homeschooling, dating, the Bible etc. Not only is she not touting them she is not even following many of them.

Jinger seems to be doing pretty well, from what I have seen on their show.  She has somewhat of an out really, if she wants to use it.  If her husband says this is how things go, then she can just say that she's following her husband and the husband is the head of the household. She can claim that he sets the rules for how she dresses and conducts herself.  It may also be that since she's gotten into a less restrictive environment, she has had the freedom to read more, associate with other people who are different in their take on Christianity and indeed, listen to preachers who are actually educated and may not be so intimidated that they kowtow to old school, Fundie rhetoric.  Maybe, she's thinking for herself and sharing those ideas with Jeremy.  I became more liberal when I went away to a state run university.  I can see Jinger growing and changing, without forsaking her faith. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From my observation of the Duggars, and my own Fundie upbringing, I feel comfortable saying that many of the rules are things that some Fundie male leaders came up with many years ago and they were touted as principls, thus have stuck.  Not many were willing to question how they made sense.  They say that you have to set yourself apart from the "world."  World means sinful, unGodly people.  You should be different in as many ways as possible. 

I'll take a stab at it:  while "Being in the world yet not of it" is often a ripe prescription for the thinking fundy child to develop mental issues if they actually paid attention to it and what it means; to me, what it means is that you ought to be higher minded and not caught up in the rat race, maintaining your mental separation. 

This seems to me that it's meant as advice to follow vis-a-vis things like "not getting so caught up in your quest for a promotion that you wind up doing something unsavory and/or stabbing the other competitors in the back", and basically, some version of "don't forget to be good people with good values".  Also an intended side dose of "spending your life in service to others may mean you don't see much in the way of worldly, aka material success; and you have to guard yourself against feeling like a failure because of it, when you are in fact doing more of God's Work as a social worker than as a lawyer at some white shoe law firm", and so on.

• Love 2
On 5/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, GeeGolly said:

Considering how much the Duggars' appearance changed over the years, I don't think Jinger's life is all that different from her family's. So much of what they touted was obviously for the show that I think, behind the scenes, most of the kidults were--if not on the same page--relatively open with each other about how they really felt.  I think it's second nature for Jinger to compartmentalize everything...there's stuff you say on TV, and there's real life. Rarely do the two intersect. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Considering how much the Duggars' appearance changed over the years, I don't think Jinger's life is all that different from her family's. So much of what they touted was obviously for the show that I think, behind the scenes, most of the kidults were--if not on the same page--relatively open with each other about how they really felt.  I think it's second nature for Jinger to compartmentalize everything...there's stuff you say on TV, and there's real life. Rarely do the two intersect. 

Interesting. I've always felt the kids were all in and drinking the Kool-Aid the entire time. You're thinking they were waiting to be on their own before they let others know they felt differently? I know Jinger had some non-Kool-Aid dreams, but I always they were fantasies more then realities. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

You're thinking they were waiting to be on their own before they let others know they felt differently? 

this is an interesting train of thought.  Remember how they had all the older girls beds crammed into one space like a dorm?  (And think... is Jana now celebrating her own space... her very own....? Or did some of the youngest immediately spread right into that room?  I digress, sorry).  

I just always wondered, did those young, sheltered, protected, completely immature young girls lay there in the dark and whisper about what they would do when they escaped Duggardom?   (Does anyone remember the POSTERS Jilly made up with the 5th grade curlicues when she was dreaming about DD?  And she was, what, 23 or so???).   Did Jinger say aloud (well, whisper) my husband says he likes women in pants, he doesn’t see anything wrong with it, and I already have 15 pair on layaway at Marshall’s”.    In my fantasy-land, I see Joy Anna laying there in the dark listening to her sisters dream, and she goes to sleep thinking “I just want jeans.  I just waaaaant a pair of blue jeans”.  

I don’t see it.  I betcha she knew, but I also bet she didn’t spill her beans.  And no way did Jill say “I’m gonna show my shoulders and my knees and wear pants... AND A NOSE RING!!!”  Before time provided the proof, I would have said Jessa was going to be the mold breaker.  Never in a million years would I have thought Jinger would be in pants before the ink dried on her marriage certificate.  

• Love 9
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Interesting. I've always felt the kids were all in and drinking the Kool-Aid the entire time. You're thinking they were waiting to be on their own before they let others know they felt differently? I know Jinger had some non-Kool-Aid dreams, but I always they were fantasies more then realities. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're not all Kool-Aid drinkers where it really matters, but I do think that most of them are a lot more laid back in the day-to-day minutiae than their public statements would lead us to believe. I think it's even possible that JB and Michelle are slightly (very, very slightly) less strict than they used to be, but they feel that they have to stick to the script they wrote for the very first TLC special.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

this is an interesting train of thought.  Remember how they had all the older girls beds crammed into one space like a dorm?  (And think... is Jana now celebrating her own space... her very own....? Or did some of the youngest immediately spread right into that room?  I digress, sorry).  

I just always wondered, did those young, sheltered, protected, completely immature young girls lay there in the dark and whisper about what they would do when they escaped Duggardom?   (Does anyone remember the POSTERS Jilly made up with the 5th grade curlicues when she was dreaming about DD?  And she was, what, 23 or so???).   Did Jinger say aloud (well, whisper) my husband says he likes women in pants, he doesn’t see anything wrong with it, and I already have 15 pair on layaway at Marshall’s”.    In my fantasy-land, I see Joy Anna laying there in the dark listening to her sisters dream, and she goes to sleep thinking “I just want jeans.  I just waaaaant a pair of blue jeans”.  

I don’t see it.  I betcha she knew, but I also bet she didn’t spill her beans.  And no way did Jill say “I’m gonna show my shoulders and my knees and wear pants... AND A NOSE RING!!!”  Before time provided the proof, I would have said Jessa was going to be the mold breaker.  Never in a million years would I have thought Jinger would be in pants before the ink dried on her marriage certificate.  

Hell, never in a million years would I have thought Jill would be in pants, period.

• Love 5
On 5/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, lascuba said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're not all Kool-Aid drinkers where it really matters, but I do think that most of them are a lot more laid back in the day-to-day minutiae than their public statements would lead us to believe. I think it's even possible that JB and Michelle are slightly (very, very slightly) less strict than they used to be, but they feel that they have to stick to the script they wrote for the very first TLC special.

I think this, too. We've seen how they get less strict with each courtship, and how their clothing becomes more and more worldly, even within the house. I think they have mellowed a little bit, but no one can know!

• Love 1
On 5/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Jinger seems to be doing pretty well, from what I have seen on their show.  She has somewhat of an out really, if she wants to use it.  If her husband says this is how things go, then she can just say that she's following her husband and the husband is the head of the household. She can claim that he sets the rules for how she dresses and conducts herself.  It may also be that since she's gotten into a less restrictive environment, she has had the freedom to read more, associate with other people who are different in their take on Christianity and indeed, listen to preachers who are actually educated and may not be so intimidated that they kowtow to old school, Fundie rhetoric.  Maybe, she's thinking for herself and sharing those ideas with Jeremy.  I became more liberal when I went away to a state run university.  I can see Jinger growing and changing, without forsaking her faith. 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, GeeGolly said:

I feel like a broken record, but I still feel this is putting wayyy too much emphasis on the fact that Jinger now wears pants! She and Jeremy are still VERY Fundy. They are rigid in their take on biblical literacy, and the doctrine that most of the world is wrong, going to hell, and in need of saving. They are solidly patriarchal and Jeremy's church website has a section about submission and traditional marriage. Hey, I'm glad she wears pants but let's keep it in perspective.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:23 AM, Happyfatchick said:

There have only ever been two big dorms -- boys' and girls'. So Jana is still in the girls' dorm with Jennifer, Johannah, Jordyn and Josie. No such luck having her own space, ever!

• Love 21

All I can think of in this pic is all the time and work on those bookshelves and wtf is up with that cheap, wrong size blind??? Seriously?  I also don't get the open laptop while he writes out the sermon longhand but hey, they're not on a vaca on this weekend it seems so he'll actually preach on a Sunday.  Shocking.

• Love 5

When I write, I prefer to make handwritten notes first, then write everything out in Word second.  I do not like to scroll through multiple tabs when I start writing.

• Love 7