Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Co-sign everyone saying it’s a generational/millenial thing. I know a lot of couples who do photo shoots to commemorate each occasion (and the belly holding and heart hands are DEFINITELY a standard pose for maternity shots @floridamom, along with things like a kissing while holding the ultrasound pose or the family shoes all together).

Within my own community of infertiles, what’s been really popular are “rainbow baby” shoots for moms that have miscarried or lost living babies, “worth the wait” shoots where an article of baby clothing is surrounded by IVF meds and syringes, and “gotcha day” shoots for families who grew through adoption.

Jinger looks gorgeous and over the moon happy, as does Jeremy. The heartbeat necklace is SUCH a sweet and unique gift!

Edited by ChaChaSlide
  • Love 16

I'm definitely not a fan of posting every stinking photo documenting every minutes of one's life, and that is one reason I'm hardly ever looking at social media in general.

Not a Jer fan either, but that necklace is really sweet.  If he truly treasures his wife, I'm very happy for the two of them.  

Is it too much to hope that this pair will have 4 kids or less?  And that they give their children individual attention and allow them to express themselves?  Probably, but that would be a nice scenario.

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Actually, Jessa did a professional pregnancy shoot for her first pregnancy.

Counting On.jpg

Her bathroom selfies looked better.  That looks like "Jana-caliber" professional, taken in their backyard.   But that just goes to show how unmemorable Jessa's life is to me.  

• Love 8

I know it's already been discussed as nauseam, but just to add more fuel to the fire, what's the deal with the stretched-out jobbies these people wear when preg?

I am imagining that this cannot possibly be comfortable, especially in warmer weather? Is it to save money by avoiding having to buy maternity wear? Wouldn't the tops be stretched out of shape afterward anyway?

• Love 3

If you all think maternity photo shoots are over the top, wait until you hear about birth photography, where the whole birth is professionally photographed. 

And we cant forget boudoir photography. Not that any of the Duggars girls would do that but it’s a big trend with the millennials. I have a former classmate who does maternity/birth/and boudoir photos and you can get a package of all three for the bargain price of $2,000. And we live in a midsize Midwest city. 

• Love 4

My daughter-in-law was "gifted" a maternity photo shoot by a friend.  The friend did not ask if it was something they would want to do before paying for it.  Since it has already been paid for, they are going to do it, but my son is not exactly a willing participant, to say the least.  She was visiting last week, and when she told me about it we nearly died laughing.  I texted my son and just said "So, maternity photo shoot?"  His response was "FML".  

• Love 19

Maternity shoots are pretty common in my Midwest neck of the woods (as are engagement shoots, wedding shoots, and newborn shoots). While not imperative to me, I'd probably do them just to have pretty pictures for personal posterity. I'd also probably be on board with a boudoir shoot, but for my SO only and just because I like to walk on the tame side of the saucy side. ;)

But if my husband got me a necklace of our baby's heartbeat ... I'd actually really enjoy that. It's sweet, thoughtful, with meaning for us, unique, and not too over the top. I actually give Jeremy mad props for that gift.

(But if my husband ever got me anything he termed a "push present" ... we'd be tracked for divorce. I .hate. the idea of push presents.)

• Love 16

A push present is just a gift to mom, traditionally from the father of the baby, in honor of giving birth.

My issue is not with the sentiment - something the Jeremy's necklace is appropriate, meaningful, and understated. 

My issue is with the expectation that push presents have evolved into the expectation of something lavish. Kylie Jenner got a Ferrari from her baby daddy. Mariah Carey got something like a $10,000 diamond necklace from Nick Cannon. And in the age of social media everyone is trying to be .the best. and ... certain... woman are staying to demand expensive and useless gifts just because they've birthed a baby and "destroyed their body" for their man. The whole idea of using giving birth to get expensive things for your own use or pleasure makes me angry. Isn't having a baby enough of a prize?

But like I said, the difference is between expectation and the gift. Jeremy's necklace is thoughtful. Nick Cannon's necklace is a gross display of wealth and narcissism, imo.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Am I just an old lady out of the loop with things today or what? Maternity Shoot? Courting Shoot? Engagement Shoot? New baby shoot? Why do these people always seem to take endless professional photographs and lots of them? I understand a photo or two is nice and wedding pictures, of course, are taken, but I think they do everything to the extreme.

Maternity photo shoots were common when I had my first back in 08. We also did monthly professional pictures until she was 12 months, then 18, then 24 and then yearly. We did the same with our second in 2010. I was a child of the 80's and my mom did the same thing with me and my siblings. I thought it was fairly common, or it is in my circles. 

• Love 4

Now that's a new one on me!  Crotchfruit.  I've heard of Loinfruit, but that's pretty bizarre, too.

As someone who tends to be camera shy, I find the whole deal of taking selfies at every turn, pretty narcissistic.  It seems to me that people that do this, are continually insecure, and need constant validation.  

Now get off my lawn, before I get the hose out! 

• Love 16

I'd never seen the necklace before, but after searching for 3 seconds on the web, there's a plethora of necklaces options similiar/just like it. Probably popular in their circles. It's not common among people I know to get professional photos taken while pregnant.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, McManda said:

A push present is just a gift to mom, traditionally from the father of the baby, in honor of giving birth.

My issue is not with the sentiment - something the Jeremy's necklace is appropriate, meaningful, and understated. 

My issue is with the expectation that push presents have evolved into the expectation of something lavish. Kylie Jenner got a Ferrari from her baby daddy. Mariah Carey got something like a $10,000 diamond necklace from Nick Cannon. And in the age of social media everyone is trying to be .the best. and ... certain... woman are staying to demand expensive and useless gifts just because they've birthed a baby and "destroyed their body" for their man. The whole idea of using giving birth to get expensive things for your own use or pleasure makes me angry. Isn't having a baby enough of a prize?

But like I said, the difference is between expectation and the gift. Jeremy's necklace is thoughtful. Nick Cannon's necklace is a gross display of wealth and narcissism, imo.

Traditionally? Whose traditions?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

The difference between Jinger and Jessa’s pregnancy photos is the difference between cheap and class. One looks classy and the other... cheap.

That pregnancy photo in the skintight, ugly outfit actually makes me feel sorry for Jessa. 

5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Taking photos of private moments is one thing. Posting them online is a whole other level of narcissism.

What's wrong with putting their photos online? They have a large following who'd likely want to see the photos, plus there really isn't much difference between the Vuolos posting photos and "normal" people posting photos on Facebook. 

Now, if Jinger posts nude childbirth photos of herself like Bode Miller's wife did with their poor daughter, I'll agree it's narcissism. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, leighdear said:

Jeremy absolutely WINS the almost-daddy game, hands down.  He's outdone the other husbands so many times, in so many ways, none of them will EVER catch up

While I totally agree with you; there are factors that make this so. Jeremy is older and in a more established place in life (at least mentally). He also lived/lives outside the Gothard bubble and has real world experience and has developed tastes the other BILs couldn't. He's a tag bougie but that's good for Jinger.

• Love 6

Yeah, the necklace with the heartbeat is clever and creative.  Jinger will doubtless get many years of pleasure from regarding it, including sessions where she simply opens up her jewelry box to get something else out of it.

• Love 7

I think Jinger also contributes to what looks like an easy, sweet and loving relationship between her and Jeremy.

I find there are two categories of pregnant women: those who make every second of the 9 months about them and those who just keep on keeping on. I'm not judging the first category, but a colleague of mine recently had a baby and she wore me out during the 9 months of her pregnancy and I found myself feeling a bit sorry for her husband.

This same colleague complains about every 'problem' she is having during the first 5 months of her child's life too. Sore boobs, no sleep, fussy times, constipation, teething, explosive diapers, etc. The asshole in me wants to say to her over and over again, yup you have a baby.

Jessa and Jill seemed to have been more like my colleague and Jinger more like a chill woman experiencing something millions of others have.

• Love 8

So young people seem to be paying out big bucks for all of these professional photo shoots for lots of things. I'm sure these photos are not cheap. No wonder people don't seem to have money for necessities in life.  Nothing wrong with taking some photos yourself and putting the money away for a rainy day or this child's future education.

Not passing judgment on everyone who takes photos, but I have a feeling that many of these people should put that money to better use. Just my opinion.

I wish every expectant mother and father well.  BTW, why was Jinger's photo session in Los Angeles? They live in Texas.

• Love 13

I think Jinger looks so lovely and almost refreshed. I adore her dress and there is no comparison to that picture of Jessa in her tight t-shirt or whatever that outfit is. She won the pregnancy hands down over any of her sisters. Her heartbeat necklace is beyond sweet. I think Jeremy made her pregnancy as comfortable as possible for her and not being surrrounded by the compound was the most important. I'm hoping they stay away for the birth, but I read somewhere in this thread that Jill and MEchelle would be there, is that correct? I wish her the best with her labor and if it's a home birth, I don't think Jeremy will let her go 40 hours before taking her to the hospital.  I think Jeremy will be a very attentive dad and that little girl will be wrapped around his finger instantly.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Heathen said:

That pregnancy photo in the skintight, ugly outfit actually makes me feel sorry for Jessa. 

What's wrong with putting their photos online? They have a large following who'd likely want to see the photos, plus there really isn't much difference between the Vuolos posting photos and "normal" people posting photos on Facebook. 

Now, if Jinger posts nude childbirth photos of herself like Bode Miller's wife did with their poor daughter, I'll agree it's narcissism. 

I agree on all accounts. I am 29 so I am smack dab in "everyone and their mother is pregnant" ( myself included- well I was, now I graduated to newborn stage :-) ) and these pictures are IMO completely normal and honestly I really like them! I've seen some really over the top maternity pictures from my peers ( like, posing in lingerie...and shared on FB) , these are nice and classy. It makes me wish I did some. She looks fantastic.

34 weeks pregnant too is the perfect time to do them - preggo prime time!

Jinger is light years ahead of her sibs. Jessa's outfit for her mat pics was really sad :-(. Now Jinger really impress me and only have like 4 kids. You can do it!

• Love 16

I'm old, and think that it's wiser for me to just observe the fashions and trends of young women in their child-bearing prime and pretty much STFU about my opinions. But I gotta say, I swing between distaste at Jessa's pregnancy pics, obviously posed or selfies, in those ugly skintight tops, and as @Heathen and @yogi2014L said, pity for her. 

The slightly grungy setting (rusting stairs and all) for some of JinJer's photo shoot is cool by me. It's an urban vibe. The photos are good, too. I'm not a pro photographer but I'm def an advanced amateur. That sad wannabe-cool pregnancy photo of Jessa and Bin had me itching to reposition them against the background, change the aperture, experiment with a lower perspective . . oh, sorry. Back to STFU mode.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

So young people seem to be paying out big bucks for all of these professional photo shoots for lots of things. I'm sure these photos are not cheap. No wonder people don't seem to have money for necessities in life.  Nothing wrong with taking some photos yourself and putting the money away for a rainy day or this child's future education.

Not passing judgment on everyone who takes photos, but I have a feeling that many of these people should put that money to better use. Just my opinion.

I wish every expectant mother and father well.  BTW, why was Jinger's photo session in Los Angeles? They live in Texas.

While all these photo shoots feel new and expensive, they are not really any different than the yearly trips to Sears that my family did.  We did yearly Christmas pictures and special occasion pictures like baptism and first communion.  They probably don't actually cost that much either with our new gig economy.  Anyone with a decent digital camera and a good eye can now become a "professional" photographer. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm old, and think that it's wiser for me to just observe the fashions and trends of young women in their child-bearing prime and pretty much STFU about my opinions. But I gotta say, I swing between distaste at Jessa's pregnancy pics, obviously posed or selfies, in those ugly skintight tops, and as @Heathen and @yogi2014L said, pity for her. 

The slightly grungy setting (rusting stairs and all) for some of JinJer's photo shoot is cool by me. It's an urban vibe. The photos are good, too. I'm not a pro photographer but I'm def an advanced amateur. That sad wannabe-cool pregnancy photo of Jessa and Bin had me itching to reposition them against the background, change the aperture, experiment with a lower perspective . . oh, sorry. Back to STFU mode.

My daughter, when she was pregnant, dressed in what I would have considered a very tasteful and attractive manner. she wore loose, tunic length shirts most of the time, layered with a flowy cardigan or something. And leggings or skinny pants - because she has terrific legs and I don't blame her for liking to accentuate them. But the couple of "dressy" dresses she bought were of the sort which were pretty much skin tight and set her bump off at center stage. Maybe I'm old as well, and I know that's the fashion these days, but I didn't think they were remotely as flattering as her everyday work clothes.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

It's kind of funny how Jill and Jessa were the focal point of the show for so many years and now they've been shoved off their pedestals. Jinger is now the most stylish, Kendra the snapback queen and now Abbie has hit the scene with an actual license in a medical profession. I can't wait to see how this plays out on the show. Bring on the popcorn and jealousy!

Yep. And of course Jill is off the show entirely. I don't see how Jessa's inevitable third pregnancy would carry much excitement as a story line. Been there, done that. Twice already. OTOH young fresh-faced Kendra with her first baby, stylish Jinger with her stylish hubby and first pregnancy, and now the real life nurse Abbie - those are much more interesting than Jessa with her sniffly husband and grubby cluttered house. Jessa's kid Spurge is the cutest toddler, probably the cutest Duggar grandchild, and based on her SM pics I think she knows he's her strongest card and she's playing it for all it's worth.

Edited to add: Someone has mentioned in another topic, that TLC could include Jill and her boys in some scenes, but as they also said, why would they? There's plenty of interest with Jinger's pregnancy, Kendra's baby, Josiah's engagement . . .

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7

I think @doodlebug knows the answer to this. What does the personalized heartbeat necklace mean in terms of the prenatal care Jinger was likely getting? Are EKGs part of routine prenatal care? We know she had an ultrasound at some point that sounded like it wasn't a boutique gender ultrasound (she may have had one of those also for the purposes of the show).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's kind of funny how Jill and Jessa were the focal point of the show for so many years and now they've been shoved off their pedestals. Jinger is now the most stylish, Kendra the snapback queen and now Abbie has hit the scene with an actual license in a medical profession. I can't wait to see how this plays out on the show. Bring on the popcorn and jealousy!

The most fascinating of all these folks aren't even Duggers, except for Jinger!  

• Love 7

As mentioned before, those necklaces are pretty widely available so somebody must be buying them. I bet in their circles heartbeat necklaces of the unborn are popular. 

I don't see much difference between Jinger and her family, except an affluent polished image. 

• Love 8

Hope springs eternal.  Here's hoping that Jin has been away from her wacko parents long enough, that she continues to broaden her horizons.

Jer isn't what I'd consider mainstream at all, but at least he came from a smallish family.  

I'd choose to be their daughter rather than any other of the couples so far.

• Love 11

Temperance is right on the money with the heartbeat necklace. Sweet, yes, in one way; in the other way, an in-your-face statement that life begins at conception and don't you KNOW there's a HEARTBEAT super early so how could you POSSIBLY have an abortion?

I think it's possible their 'dear friend' photographer is a fundie. Just of the southern Calif alternative-hippie-artsy-fartsy-lumbersexual variety. As in, they're fine with tattoos and wild haircuts/colors and may have large bushy beards and wear flannel shirts, jeans, and flipflops, and they're not afraid to show off a good bod, because they don't think that bodies are inherently evil, but they still take their faith seriously. We had a church like that in our town, and one of my cousins and her husband attend one in southern Calif.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, graefin said:

I think @doodlebug knows the answer to this. What does the personalized heartbeat necklace mean in terms of the prenatal care Jinger was likely getting? Are EKGs part of routine prenatal care? We know she had an ultrasound at some point that sounded like it wasn't a boutique gender ultrasound (she may have had one of those also for the purposes of the show).

No, she wouldn't have had a fetal EKG.  However, sometimes there is a reason for fetal monitoring, especially later in pregnancy, and that does provide a printout that could be used.  Most likely, during her ultrasound, they focused on the heart with the machine for a minute and got a little tracing of the heartbeat from that.  Most ultrasound machines give the operator the ability to track the fetal heartbeat as part of the exam.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, LilJen said:

Temperance is right on the money with the heartbeat necklace. Sweet, yes, in one way; in the other way, an in-your-face statement that life begins at conception and don't you KNOW there's a HEARTBEAT super early so how could you POSSIBLY have an abortion?

Jinger looks like she's about to pop, so I wouldn't call this "super early" exactly :) I also think there are tons of other ways to send a more overtly pro-life message. I just interpreted this as a nice, personalized-yet-inexpensive token (<$50) of affection for both his wife and daughter-to-be.

• Love 16
(edited)

It sure beats bringing home chocolate milk. Then again Jill worked herself into a frenzy because #BestGodliestHusbandEVER took a break from hate tweeting to throw her a crumb. I must set up IG and humble brag every time SBaba does his share as a father and husband. Nah, he is just a regular guy doing his share, and I hate hashtags. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, graefin said:

Jinger looks like she's about to pop, so I wouldn't call this "super early" exactly :) I also think there are tons of other ways to send a more overtly pro-life message. I just interpreted this as a nice, personalized-yet-inexpensive token (<$50) of affection for both his wife and daughter-to-be.

Oh, but you can get a non-personalized generic heartbeat necklace. And wear it even if you're not pregnant. Sorry I didn't make that clear!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, louannems said:

I was a little bit surprised at how much filming Kendra's sister got.  Makes me wonder if she is already involved with the Duggars, like seeing a twin.

Maybe, but there also wasn’t a Duggar present.  Jana has usually filled Lauren’s role in the past.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2018 at 5:51 AM, floridamom said:

I have no problem with professional photo sessions in general, but it's kinda funny to me that Jinger gets praised for them and the new clothes instead of being called a spendthrift attention whore. 

• Love 6