Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Mollie said:

I'm glad she didn't pack on the pounds like Jill, Jessa and Joy.  Maybe she will have a more average weight baby and an easier delivery.

The fact that she's having a girl, should help a little with the size.  But Jeremy is very tall, so who knows.

Also, I don't think weight gain is all that indicative of baby size.  Kate Middleton looks tiny throughout her pregnancies and still delivers pretty hefty babies.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

She looks great and healthy too. I don't think she is going to have a big baby though. Probably an average sized one. 

Jinger wins.  

So far, she looks good and healthy!!!  

I'm sorry but Joy did not look well. She looked swollen and miserable even in the earlier part of the pregnancy. 

• Love 11
On 6/6/2018 at 9:10 PM, Mollie said:

I'm glad she didn't pack on the pounds like Jill, Jessa and Joy.  Maybe she will have a more average weight baby and an easier delivery.

I gained a total of 20 lbs and 18 lbs; I had a 10 lb and 9 lb baby. How much weight she gains has nothing to do with the size of the baby---I left the hospital weighing less than when I found out I was pregnant. And I was also checked and check and checked for GD and it was negative every single time. I don't think Jill was GD, but I firmly believe Joy was. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I gained a total of 20 lbs and 18 lbs; I had a 10 lb and 9 lb baby. How much weight she gains has nothing to do with the size of the baby---I left the hospital weighing less than when I found out I was pregnant. And I was also checked and check and checked for GD and it was negative every single time. I don't think Jill was GD, but I firmly believe Joy was. 

And I gained around 30 lbs with my pregnancies and none weighed over 8 lbs. You really can't tell.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Me too!  I lost weight and had 10 pounders. 

Definitely, you can't tell how big the baby will be with the mother's weight gain.  

Regarding the Duggar girls, Jinger looks healthy!!!  Joy looked miserable.  Jessa and Jill looked average.  The few pictures of Kendra look pretty good.  Anna looked huge but still didn't look miserable or sick. 

Poor Joy. I just wanted to grab her , take her to an OB and demand a few routine tests including if the baby was head down!!!!  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Me too!  I lost weight and had 10 pounders. 

Definitely, you can't tell how big the baby will be with the mother's weight gain.  

Regarding the Duggar girls, Jinger looks healthy!!!  Joy looked miserable.  Jessa and Jill looked average.  The few pictures of Kendra look pretty good.  Anna looked huge but still didn't look miserable or sick. 

Poor Joy. I just wanted to grab her , take her to an OB and demand a few routine tests including if the baby was head down!!!!  

I gained something like 60 lb with my first, gleefully eating for two. To be fair, at that time I could actually have used about 10 of those pounds, but still...Yeah, I learned my lesson. My other two pregnancies I gained about 25 lb. All the babies were similar weights, though - my daughter (middle child) was the smallest at 7 lb 6 oz, and the boys were both about 8 lb 4 oz.

When my daughter had her baby, she gained a little over 20 lb, but looked enormous toward the end. It was all baby, but stuck  out like an over-inflated beachball in front. Based on measurements, they had estimated the size of the baby at 8 lb 11 oz at around her due date, and she ended up going 10 days past that, and had a 7 lb 6 oz baby.

• Love 3
On 6/6/2018 at 6:36 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think if TLC hadn't come calling, besides the money, the biggest lifestyle difference would be for the males. The females would be married, probably to inner circle Fundy men much like the Bates daughters. Jill might still be doing midwifery for the money and maybe Jinger would do engagement photos on the side. Jessa would still be a stay at home mom because the over 18s were told they could choose to do online higher ed, so she wouldn't be able to do a cosmetology course.

The boys however would all need jobs because JB wouldn't have the money to pay them all. I'm guessing cars and real estate. Josh's car lot wasn't very successful, but JB's parents did okay in the real estate business.

Poor Jinger and her husband would probably be living in the Guest Shed next to Jessa and her husband in the Guest Shack while Grandma Mary would have been thrown out so Jill and her husband could live in her room. Michelle would be walking around mumbling under her breath, "but what about leave and cleave".

Josh's car lot wasn't successful in large part because of Josh. How often did he actually show up to work? The cars were generally way overpriced, too. Smuggar certainly didn't inherit the work ethic Jim Bob had at the same age. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Josh's car lot wasn't successful in large part because of Josh. How often did he actually show up to work? The cars were generally way overpriced, too. Smuggar certainly didn't inherit the work ethic Jim Bob had at the same age. 

Overpricing the cars sounds exactly like his dad. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Overpricing the cars sounds exactly like his dad. 

It does (or like small used car lot owners in general). My point, though, is that when Jim Bob was twenty, he worked in a grocery store and had other jobs as well. Smuggar could hardly manage to show up for his one and only job, which he was gifted. 

• Love 12

Okay.  I've worked with rare books/papers/records etc for years and I was doing a double major in college - one of them being archeology.  NEVER would Jeremy be allowed to hold this book or the scroll with his bare hands.  Most dealers of things like this require that you put on gloves that they provide.  The natural oils on his hands, along with random dirt/sweat/food/etc is a MAJOR no - no and can destroy these books/scrolls.  Makes me wonder if they didn't give him some fake book for the photo op orif the dealer is really that much of an idiot.

• Love 24
21 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Okay.  I've worked with rare books/papers/records etc for years and I was doing a double major in college - one of them being archeology.  NEVER would Jeremy be allowed to hold this book or the scroll with his bare hands.  Most dealers of things like this require that you put on gloves that they provide.  The natural oils on his hands, along with random dirt/sweat/food/etc is a MAJOR no - no and can destroy these books/scrolls.  Makes me wonder if they didn't give him some fake book for the photo op orif the dealer is really that much of an idiot.

It's possible they've changed their minds:

https://library.pdx.edu/news/the-proper-handling-of-rare-books-manuscripts/

Specifically, the Library of Congress recommends the following: 

“Before handling any collection item, thoroughly wash and dry hands. Contrary to widespread belief, gloves are not necessarily recommended to handle rare or valuable books. Gloves (nitrile or vinyl) are always recommended if there is reason to suspect a health hazard (e.g., mold, arsenic). Clean gloves (nitrile, vinyl, or lint-free cotton) are also recommended when handling photograph albums/photographs or books with metal or ivory parts. Aside from those specific situations, it is generally preferable to handle your books with clean hands, washed with soap and thoroughly dried, rather than with gloves.”

Indeed, as conservators write in International Preservation News, the recommendation to use gloves is a dangerous and “pervasive myth” that may result in the tearing of pages. And gloves often carry far more dirt than clean hands. Please see “Misperceptions about White Gloves” in International Preservations News for more information.

• Love 9
(edited)

Wonder why Jeremy wrote 1574 (regarding Calvin's Institutes) when it says 1562 on the spine...

(According to Wikipedia, this book was first published - in Latin - in 1536. There have been many subsequent editions in several languages; however I did not find anything pertaining to the years 1562 or 1574. Not that the information on Wikipedia is always correct or complete, of course, but now I am intrigued.)

Edited by PinkyCupcake
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Interesting.  Thanks for that.  Although, there are some things I'm still not going to let visitors here touch - LOL.

I remember being super surprised when I learned that myself, because I immediately recalled an old conversation my friend and I had about a very bad movie called "The Ninth Gate" (?), where Johnny Depp plays some sort of rare books expert.  He handles the fake ancient prop book bare-handed, and I remember laughing with derision to the friend about it, who in turn said "I think that's super embarrassing, because I think I remember some puff piece claiming that Johnny collects rare books."  Now it seems maybe that film director was simply ahead of the curve, lol.  

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Wonder why Jeremy wrote 1574 (regarding Calvin's Institutes) when it says 1562 on the spine...

(According to Wikipedia, this book was first published - in Latin - in 1536. There have been many subsequent editions in several languages; however I did not find anything pertaining to the years 1562 or 1574. Not that the information on Wikipedia is always correct or complete, of course, but now I am intrigued.)

He's holding one of the editions of one of the early English translations from the Latin, apparently. The Thomas Norton translation. (see link below) The first edition of Norton's translation came out in 1561. There were lots of translations -- into and out of German and French (Calvin's native language), for example, as well as from the Latin. And this was the age when Calvinism was hot hot hot. So there were lots of editions of the various translations, too, I guess. 

Norton was, among other things -- such as a poet, an official torturer of Catholics on the rack in London, I read. But eventually his own Calvinism/Puritanism got so hot and heavy that he lost his official jobs for being too rigid a nutcase even for people who torture those of other faiths on the rack. lol 

https://archive.org/details/institutionofchr1574calv

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, PinkyCupcake said:

@Churchhoney Interesting! Thank you.

You're very welcome. Your curiosity spawned my curiosity! 

Plus, I read the Institutes in a college class (where I also read whopping chunks of the Summa Theologica.... lol), so my curiosity level about them starts kind of high, I guess. 

• Love 3
On 6/14/2018 at 6:32 AM, queenanne said:

I remember being super surprised when I learned that myself, because I immediately recalled an old conversation my friend and I had about a very bad movie called "The Ninth Gate" (?), where Johnny Depp plays some sort of rare books expert.  He handles the fake ancient prop book bare-handed, and I remember laughing with derision to the friend about it, who in turn said "I think that's super embarrassing, because I think I remember some puff piece claiming that Johnny collects rare books."  Now it seems maybe that film director was simply ahead of the curve, lol.  

Omg I actually love that movie. Roman Polanski is the director. I have to watch it every time it comes on!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Omg I actually love that movie. Roman Polanski is the director. I have to watch it every time it comes on!

I, er, like the Perez-Reverte source material... ;)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

What is the second pic? I can’t find it.

Put your cursor over the right side of the first photo, near the middle.  When you see the arrow, click on it.

3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

What is the second pic? I can’t find it.

Just now, doodlebug said:

Put your cursor over the right side of the first photo, near the middle.  When you see the arrow, click on it.

See where the arrow is on the left? On the first picture it would be on the right. Here it is :

B3759EC4-63EE-4DB2-9BC1-4104575D4D29.jpeg

• Love 1

"Good-show-binge-watching is not right," he tweeted. "Which is why my wife and I never...and I mean never...binge watch the @BritishBakeOff. Ever!" you just need to savor that kind of drama!

Wow-they have a TV? They watch someting?

I am pleasantly surprised. 

I had a feeling no Duggar owns or watches TV, I don't know why.

• Love 5

Didn't he have a TV in his apartment before they got married? He doesn't seem like he has an issue with TV or most normal everyday things. I'd bet he's even seen mainstream movies, probably even some R rated ones! Imagine that! 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Obviously Jeremy was fed well. Poor Jinger isn’t fat probably wasn’t fed adequately.

That's a stretch. Some babies are just more roly-poly than others; lack of fat does not mean inadequately fed. 

• Love 10
(edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 2:04 AM, DragonFaerie said:

NEVER would Jeremy be allowed to hold this book or the scroll with his bare hands.

Haha, that was my first thought. I studied archaeology for a bit and anytime we got to handle old stuff it was DO NOT TOUCH WITHOUT GLOVES OR THE WORLD WILL END.

They were very serious about gloves. And, apparently, wrong.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 3
(edited)

Jinger with friends. I remember Jinger's pregnant friend used to hang out with Jana. There is a picture of them fixing up the bathroom at the guest house. She also quickly adapted pants as soon as she married.

I applaud Jinger for not wearing skin tight clothes during her pregnancy, she looks good.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, SaySay24 said:

They were there for the SBC, right? Same as Jill. I wonder how much they hung out. 

This got me curious so I checked their Instagram posts. I would be shocked if they were all there and didn't meet up for at least an obligatory photo #doyouseehowcloseweare #sisters #thefamilythatpraystogetherstaystogether #ughihavetopretendtolikejillandderick #ohwaitwearesupposedtoplayhappyfamilies #dericksmells #getmeoutofhere #weallloveeachothersoooomuch!!! #doyouseehowcloseweareyet?

Based on the dates of posts, I think Jeremy & Jinger were in California during the SBC and their trip to Dallas was about a week after the SBC.

• Love 7